• Electro Taurus Experiences

From Michael Fadden@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 3 08:02:51 2022
    Our club is kicking around the idea of buying a Pipistrel Electro 2.5 to supplement our current training ships (L23, K21 and Grob Twin), one of which would probably be sold. Preliminary impressions are pretty favorable. I'm looking for any first-hand
    experience anyone may have with this particular glider. Thanks in advance.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Curt Lewis - 95@21:1/5 to mdfa...@gmail.com on Thu Nov 3 08:28:16 2022
    On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 10:02:53 AM UTC-5, mdfa...@gmail.com wrote:
    Our club is kicking around the idea of buying a Pipistrel Electro 2.5 to supplement our current training ships (L23, K21 and Grob Twin), one of which would probably be sold. Preliminary impressions are pretty favorable. I'm looking for any first-hand

Mike
    A recent discovery I found is that it can actually be trailered in a Cobra trailer and assembled without much trouble. Big plus I think.

Curt Lewis
    CFIG/ASEL
    Genesis 2 (95)
    SGS 1-26B (216)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 6A@21:1/5 to Michael Fadden on Thu Nov 3 10:36:13 2022
    On 11/3/2022 8:02 AM, Michael Fadden wrote:

Mike
    Contact the dealer for names of customers that have used it for training or in a club. Or
    just start calling Taurus owners in the FAA register - not that many to go through.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 3 21:42:53 2022
    On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 10:36:23 AM UTC-7, 6A wrote:

Mike
    Contact the dealer for names of customers that have used it for training or in a club. Or
    just start calling Taurus owners in the FAA register - not that many to go through.

Review ALL of the NZ accident reports regarding this glider before pulling the trigger:
    https://groups.google.com/g/rec.aviation.soaring/c/hBC6dag98qo/m/JZzil_psBwAJ

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Fadden@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 4 06:41:14 2022
    Thanks, Curt. I don't how much consideration has been given to trailer options but that's good to know. While its not listed as definite cause of the fire/crash, its clear the owner of the NZ Taurus didn't maintain the battery in accordance with the
    manufacturer's instructions. The whole battery safety issue is part of the discussion we are having. I was hoping that some owners (worldwide, not just U.S.) of the Electro 2.5 were users of this group and might relay their real world experiences.
    Pipistrel has been very responsive to our inquiries.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 4 07:31:03 2022
    "A recent discovery I found is that it can actually be trailered in a Cobra trailer and assembled without much trouble. Big plus I think."

You need to know that the Cobra trailer designed for the Taurus is substantially larger than the normal models designed for single seat or tandem seat gliders. The Taurus' side-by-side cockpit means the fuselage is almost twice the width of a
    conventional glider, and the trailer has to be specially built for it. The wing is also substantially larger. I have built a couple of specialized WingRiggers for the Taurus, and they too have to be specialized, as the wing has a very wide chord and is
    set low to the ground. The wings are pretty light, so rigging is not particularly difficult with two people and no rigging aid. Using a WingRigger can make it a single person effort, but it will take some practice.

Another concern about using a Taurus for instruction is whether it is registered as "Experimental." There is a debate going on about using Experimental aircraft for training, primarily in the cases where the instruction is for compensation or not. You
    should check with the FSDO to find out whether a "Letter Of Deviation Authority" (LODA) is required for instructing in an Experimental aircraft, and whether it is legal to charge for it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Michael Fadden on Fri Nov 4 08:28:26 2022

Mike

Operating a MG is substantially different from a towed glider, and the PIC needs to know
    these differences, and use the MG often enough to remain competent. For your training
    purposes, I think this is practical if the pilots (PIC) are limited to instructors who
    really learn how to operate the Taurus, and do so routinely. It's not just flying the
    launch, but the basic operations of "fueling", preflight, and emergencies.

An electric powered glider is going to have features new to most instructors, even if they
    are also airplane or towpilots. A primary difference is the batteries, which must be
    handled carefully when out of the glider, and when they are charged and stored. Their
    operation in flight also differs considerably from fuel management in combustion engine
    powered aircraft.

If the club can maintain competent instructors, I think this would a good addition to the
    club fleet, in part because it would prepare pilots the electric gliders they'd likely be
    flying in the future.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Fadden@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 4 10:49:41 2022
    Thanks, this is all good information. The plan is to have only instructors be the PIC, at least initially, and use it both in MG mode and aero-towed like a non-MG. We have excellent instructors with experience in all kinds of aircraft. There is no charge
    for instruction but checking with the FSDO (probably) wouldn't hurt. I'm not on the committee but those who are don't frequent RAS, as far as I know. Personally, I zero power time but would like the challenge of becoming competent in motorglider.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to mdfa...@gmail.com on Fri Nov 4 15:18:55 2022
    On Friday, November 4, 2022 at 6:41:16 AM UTC-7, mdfa...@gmail.com wrote:
    Thanks, Curt. I don't how much consideration has been given to trailer options but that's good to know. While its not listed as definite cause of the fire/crash, its clear the owner of the NZ Taurus didn't maintain the battery in accordance with the
    manufacturer's instructions. The whole battery safety issue is part of the discussion we are having. I was hoping that some owners (worldwide, not just U.S.) of the Electro 2.5 were users of this group and might relay their real world experiences.
    Pipistrel has been very responsive to our inquiries.

Mike

Mike, that is simply not true. The final report on the accident (https://www.aviation.govt.nz/assets/publications/fatal-accident-reports/ZK-GEL-Final-Report-7-December-2020.pdf) stated:

"At some time between 1415 and 1730 hours, the glider, while soaring, experienced an inflight battery thermal event."

A "thermal event" is also called a fire, which is exactly what it was called later:

"1.14 Fire
    1.14.1 During the wreckage examination, evidence of an in-flight fire was identified. The
    fire appeared to have originated from, and was isolated to, the battery pack located
    behind the pilot’s seat (see Figure 3)."

The fire intruded into the cockpit:

"1.14.3 The pilot’s seat and rudder control cables showed evidence of in-flight heat damage
    and sooting. These components were separated from the heat source during the impact sequence."

and

"1.15.1 Evidence of significant smoke within the cockpit prior to the glider impacting the
    ground was identified."

Finally, the analysis concludes that there WAS a fire:

"2. Analysis
    2.1 While airborne on a local flight the pilot was faced with a difficult in-flight
    emergency, in the form of a battery thermal event.
    2.2 The thermal event originated in the lithium polymer battery pack located behind
    the pilot’s seat, resulting in fumes and smoke filling the cockpit. This would have
    likely had the effect of degrading the pilot’s performance and ability to control the
    glider while dealing with the in-flight emergency."

Manufacturing defects were found in another electric glider:

"1.16.1 Following an in-flight battery fire incident involving an HPH Glasflugel 304 eS type
    glider in West Sussex, England, the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) conducted an investigation. Their subsequent report could not identify the cause of
    the battery fire. They conducted independent testing, however, which revealed the
    presence of metallic debris in 7 of the 11 lithium polymer cells sampled. Furthermore, vibration testing identified that metallic debris could cause fretting on
    the cell pouch. The metallic fretting was not significant enough during testing to
    penetrate the cell pouch which would cause arcing. However, during other testing
    where penetration was achieved ‘the electrical arcing was immediately followed by
    rapid inflation of the pouch, followed by light grey smoke, followed by flames.’ For
    further information refer to AAIB Bulletin: 9/2018 G-GSGS EW/C2017/08/01."

The owner did not follow the recommended charging of the batteries:

"1.16.4 During significant absences from New Zealand, the pilot would fully charge the
    glider batteries and leave them charged while the glider was stored in its trailer. The
    pilot was also known to leave the batteries charging for substantial periods of time
    between flights. This is contrary to the manufacturer’s Flight manual and Maintenance manual."

and the report concluded this:

"1.16.5 Research shows that, if the manufacturer’s instructions for charging are not
    followed, lithium polymer batteries are prone to hydrogen and dendrite build-up,
    that may lead to a battery short circuit, failure, smoking and/or fire"

This, to me, renders this technology unsuitable for aircraft. You will want to fully charge the battery prior to flight, which contributes to hydrogen and dendrite build-up and, ultimately, battery failure. It is just a question of time. I can fill up
    the fuel tank of my ASH 31 Mi, on the other hand, and leave it that way for months without risk of fire.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AS@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 5 12:35:22 2022
    ... the electrical arcing was immediately followed by rapid inflation of the pouch, followed by light grey smoke, followed by flames. <<

If you want to see the above in action, watch a few episodes of 'Battle Bots', where the contestants build robots with the expressed purpose of beating the crap out of their opponents. These robots are all powered by LiPo-type batteries. Some of them
    sustain incredible blows, which compromises their batteries. The 'light grey smoke' is heavier than air and creeps out of the stricken bot along the floor, which then - much to the delight of the spectators - is typically followed by fire. The clean-up
    crew only enters the venue with full-face respirators.
    Battery technology will advance and improve with the advent of EVs, so I will wait a little more before placing my order for an electric motor glider.

Uli
    'AS'

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 5 13:44:43 2022
    On 11/5/2022 12:35 PM, AS wrote:
    Battery technology will advance and improve with the advent of EVs, so I will wait a little more before placing my order for an electric motor glider.

How long did you want to wait? Place an order now, and you'll likely wait 2, 3, or more
    years due to order backlogs. But, if you are waiting for batteries that can survive
    sledgehammer attacks and multiple 10 foot drops onto a steel floor (as Battlebots endure),
    you'll have to wait much longer.

Eric

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Sat Nov 5 21:19:28 2022
    On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 1:44:49 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On 11/5/2022 12:35 PM, AS wrote:
    How long did you want to wait? Place an order now, and you'll likely wait 2, 3, or more
    years due to order backlogs. But, if you are waiting for batteries that can survive
    sledgehammer attacks and multiple 10 foot drops onto a steel floor (as Battlebots endure),

Eric

These batteries can't even survive the bouncing and jarring that typical trailering causes. The Taurus Electro had a gear-up landing that may have contributed, and probably did, to its battery failure. Gear-up landings are not the same as a 10-foot drop.

The gray or white smoke is the electrolyte on fire. This produces toxic smoke, so using full respirators is not just a good idea, but is mandatory. The cargo ship fire, Felicity Ace, with all of the EVs on board put out a tremendous amount of white smoke.

We will be getting a lot more answers to these battery issues with all of the EVs that are now out on the road. One issue, dendrite growth, occurs over a period of time regardless of whether the battery is or is not being used. This phenomenon is not
    understood, which is very troubling when your life depends upon it (https://www.nature.com/articles/s41524-022-00788-6):

"Some such issues are uncontrolled dendrite formation, large volume changes, and irreversible electrolyte degradation reactions inherent in lithium-metal-based batteries, resulting in severe safety concerns and low Coulombic efficiency."

"However, only a few studies have focused on the aggressive formation or growth of dendrites in organic electrolytes. Even these few previously reported approaches have failed to successfully reproduce and access the experimentally observed lithium
    electrodeposition behavior during the cyclic charging/discharging process. This is because existing modeling studies involve simplifying assumptions that cannot capture some atomic-scale details."

Dendrites, if you haven't followed the previous discussions, cause internal shorts in lithium batteries which lead to thermal runaway and fires. I would be a lot more comfortable driving an EV than flying an electric glider. If the EV catches fire you
    can pull over to the side of the road and get out - this is much more problematic if you are airborne.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 6 04:52:57 2022
    On 11/5/2022 9:19 PM, 2G wrote:

Eric
    These batteries can't even survive the bouncing and jarring that typical trailering causes. The Taurus Electro had a gear-up landing that may have contributed, and probably did, to its battery failure. Gear-up landings are not the same as a 10-foot
    drop.

Is there more evidence for these concerns than this Taurus, particularly for the later
    generation batteries from FES?

Of course, Uli can choose to wait for an electric glider using cylindrical lithium
    batteries, which are inherently more rugged than the pouch style.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?Arne_Martin_G=C3=BCettler@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Sun Nov 6 05:29:49 2022
    On Sunday, 6 November 2022 at 13:53:01 UTC+1, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    These batteries can't even survive the bouncing and jarring that typical trailering causes. The Taurus Electro had a gear-up landing that may have contributed, and probably did, to its battery failure. Gear-up landings are not the same as a 10-foot
    drop.
    Is there more evidence for these concerns than this Taurus, particularly for the later

The Taurus Electro is not a FES system. In fact it's one of the first electrical gliders (after Antares), and predates the first FES equipped glider by a couple of years. And being built to ultra light rules, it both predates and is not required to
    follow the certification requirements as current sailplane certified batteries do. That said, I don't know the exact battery type it does use.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 6 06:21:24 2022
    On 11/6/2022 5:29 AM, Arne Martin Güettler wrote:
    On Sunday, 6 November 2022 at 13:53:01 UTC+1, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    drop.

The Taurus Electro is not a FES system. In fact it's one of the first electrical gliders (after Antares), and predates the first FES equipped glider by a couple of years. And being built to ultra light rules, it both predates and is not required to
    follow the certification requirements as current sailplane certified batteries do. That said, I don't know the exact battery type it does use.

I agree, and did not mean to imply it was an FES system; however, it did have batteries of
    similar design, and the design was revised after the accident, as were important details
    in the Taurus airframe. The FES system also has had important revisions in the design and
    manufacture of it's batteries, and EASA regulations are more comprehensive now.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Sun Nov 6 11:54:05 2022
    On Sunday, November 6, 2022 at 4:53:01 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Eric
    drop.

Of course, Uli can choose to wait for an electric glider using cylindrical lithium

Yes, this is an of intense interest. Here is one surprising scientific review that surveyed all studies in this area (https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/14613484211008112):

"The authors concluded that the pouch cells showed no degradation or failure in any of the tests; however, the cylindrical cells shaken in the y-direction experienced mandrel loosening during the shock and long-term vibration tests. In addition, it was
    found that the cylindrical cells stressed in the z-direction also experienced degradation and failures."

and

"The reliability analysis and optimization of internal and external complex structures are urgently needed in the development of battery pack to eliminate all kinds of potential safety hazards in the design stage especially under the shock and vibration
    environment."

These results are in direct contradiction to your claim that pouch cells are more dangerous than cylindrical cells. The construction of cylindrical cells involves the rolling of four layers simultaneously; apparently this rolling action introduces
    stresses into the material, especially the separation layers.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 6 13:36:39 2022
    On 11/6/2022 11:54 AM, 2G wrote:

Eric
    drop.

Yes, this is an of intense interest. Here is one surprising scientific review that surveyed all studies in this area (https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/14613484211008112):

"The authors concluded that the pouch cells showed no degradation or failure in any of the tests; however, the cylindrical cells shaken in the y-direction experienced mandrel loosening during the shock and long-term vibration tests. In addition, it was
    found that the cylindrical cells stressed in the z-direction also experienced degradation and failures."

and

"The reliability analysis and optimization of internal and external complex structures are urgently needed in the development of battery pack to eliminate all kinds of potential safety hazards in the design stage especially under the shock and
    vibration environment."

These results are in direct contradiction to your claim that pouch cells are more dangerous than cylindrical cells. The construction of cylindrical cells involves the rolling of four layers simultaneously; apparently this rolling action introduces

Tom

"More rugged" was too vague a claim, I think; regardless, the study only used automotive
    vibration patterns to test the cells for the equivalent of 100,000 miles, and did not
    consider things like damage propagation from a failed cell to adjacent cells, tolerance of
    debris while constructing the battery pack, etc. I do think both types of cells can be
    used for battery packs suitable for electric glider use.

The study's vibration pattern may not a good representation of glider vibration, and the
    tests lasted for the equivalent of 100,000 road miles. That's about 2000 hours of
    vibration. Glider vibrations with the intensity of ground vehicles might occur during the
    takeoff and landing roll, and perhaps also under power (unlikely, given the smooth
    operation of electric motors). My ASH26E, with 4300 flight hours, has only 215 engine
    hours, so I don't think flight related vibration is going to be a problem for electric
    gliders.

There is also vibration during trailering, but I don't know how that compares to the
    vibration they used in the study. Frame mounted batteries in car may be subjected to far
    more vibration than a glider carried in a trailer.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 6 16:22:53 2022
    On Sunday, November 6, 2022 at 2:54:07 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:

Eric
    drop.

and

"The reliability analysis and optimization of internal and external complex structures are urgently needed in the development of battery pack to eliminate all kinds of potential safety hazards in the design stage especially under the shock and
    vibration environment."

Tom
    Pouch cells are much more prone to damage that could lead to a fire as has happened a few times with FES ships and the referenced Taurus.
    Lion cylinder type cells may fail from vibration but the just die due to open circuits.
    That said my battery comes out of the glider for trailering.
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Hank Nixon on Sun Nov 6 19:01:01 2022
    On 11/6/22 4:22 PM, Hank Nixon wrote:

Eric
    drop.

"The authors concluded that the pouch cells showed no degradation or failure in any of the tests; however, the cylindrical cells shaken in the y-direction experienced mandrel loosening during the shock and long-term vibration tests. In addition, it
    was found that the cylindrical cells stressed in the z-direction also experienced degradation and failures."

and

vibration environment."

Tom
    Pouch cells are much more prone to damage that could lead to a fire as has happened a few times with FES ships and the referenced Taurus.
    Lion cylinder type cells may fail from vibration but the just die due to open circuits.
    UH

Perhaps in your experience they only fail with open circuits, but there
    have been quite a few cases where cylindrical cells have combusted.

Sure glad these things are getting so much safer:

https://gothamist.com/news/e-bike-fire-injures-38-in-midtown-east-apartment-building

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to kinsell on Sun Nov 6 20:40:52 2022
    On Sunday, November 6, 2022 at 7:01:04 PM UTC-8, kinsell wrote:
    On Sunday, November 6, 2022 at 4:53:01 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote: >>> On 11/5/2022 9:19 PM, 2G wrote:

Eric
    These batteries can't even survive the bouncing and jarring that typical trailering causes. The Taurus Electro had a gear-up landing that may have contributed, and probably did, to its battery failure. Gear-up landings are not the same as a 10-
    foot drop.

"The authors concluded that the pouch cells showed no degradation or failure in any of the tests; however, the cylindrical cells shaken in the y-direction experienced mandrel loosening during the shock and long-term vibration tests. In addition, it
    was found that the cylindrical cells stressed in the z-direction also experienced degradation and failures."

and

vibration environment."

Tom
    UH
    Perhaps in your experience they only fail with open circuits, but there
    have been quite a few cases where cylindrical cells have combusted.

https://gothamist.com/news/e-bike-fire-injures-38-in-midtown-east-apartment-building

The clear attitude of eglider enthusiasts here is that we skeptics must prove that lithium batteries are unsafe (which I think I have done, BTW). My attitude is that the proponents, especially the manufacturers, MUST prove that they are safe. This HAS
    NOT happened to date. Conclusion: fly at your OWN RISK!

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to kinsell on Sun Nov 6 20:50:51 2022
    On 11/6/2022 7:01 PM, kinsell wrote:

Tom
    Pouch cells are much more prone to damage that could lead to a fire as has happened a
    few times with FES ships and the referenced Taurus.
    UH

Perhaps in your experience they only fail with open circuits, but there have been quite a
    few cases where cylindrical cells have combusted.

The article says the fire started in an apartment where a guy was repairing e-bikes, with
    over 5 found in his room. Seems likely it was case of improper repair and storage in an
    unsuitable location, rather than batteries failing from normal use.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 6 20:59:44 2022
    On 11/6/2022 8:40 PM, 2G wrote:
    Conclusion: fly at your OWN RISK!

It's always been that way, Tom, even before the Wright brothers. Corollary: since it's OUR
    risk, we don't have to prove anything to you.

You are welcome to offer opinions, but understand you do so at your own risk. Corollary:
    If you don't want people to question your claims, don't offer them.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Sun Nov 6 21:24:09 2022
    On Sunday, November 6, 2022 at 8:59:48 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    It's always been that way, Tom, even before the Wright brothers. Corollary: since it's OUR

You are welcome to offer opinions, but understand you do so at your own risk. Corollary:
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

Well, that is refreshing - you don't claim that egliders are risk free. I am only trying to offer OBJECTIVE scientific data (not opinion as you say) on the risks of lithium batteries. In my judgment the technology is not ready for CRITICAL life-dependent
    applications. Remember, it was YOU that asked for this information!

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 7 05:21:01 2022
    On 11/6/2022 9:24 PM, 2G wrote:

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Well, that is refreshing - you don't claim that egliders are risk free. I am only trying to offer OBJECTIVE scientific data (not opinion as you say) on the risks of lithium batteries. In my judgment the technology is not ready for CRITICAL life-
    dependent applications. Remember, it was YOU that asked for this information!

Tom

I don't think anyone here has claimed egliders are risk free, or that any motor/engine
    installation is risk free, but many of us believe the risk can be managed to an acceptable
    level. We've learned to manage the risks of unconnected controls, of leaving spoilers
    unlocked, of kiting during tow, and all the other risks involved in flying gliders, and we
    can learn to manage our propulsion systems, too.

Note that it's an inclusive "we": pilots, soaring organizations, manufacturers, and
    regulators.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Nadler@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 7 08:42:25 2022
    On 11/6/2022 11:40 PM, 2G wrote:
    The clear attitude of eglider enthusiasts here is that
    we skeptics must prove that lithium batteries are unsafe
    (which I think I have done, BTW).
    My attitude is that the proponents, especially the manufacturers,
    MUST prove that they are safe.
    This HAS NOT happened to date. Conclusion: fly at your OWN RISK!

I recently returned from the OSTIV SDP and WEP meetings in Stuttgart.
    The WEP (working group on electric propulsion) spent most of the day
    discussing certification requirements and means of compliance for
    battery safety (manufacturers and certification authorities attended).
    This is not being taken lightly!
    However:
    - Light gliders aren't certified and those manufacturers may or
    may not actually do the hard testing. VERY hard testing.
    - older gliders and battery packs had 'less rigorous' testing
    - cell availability is driving pack redesign with associated
    retest and re-certify efforts.

The packs are better but still not all glider-pilot proof.
    We also discussed means of tracking abuse and the pack
    disabling itself (drop it on the pavement and it shuts off
    permanently). Not currently in certification requirements!

Some of us enthusiasts are also healthy skeptics and engineers
    and live in the real world. And try to improve it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Mon Nov 7 18:01:47 2022
    On Monday, November 7, 2022 at 5:21:11 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On 11/6/2022 9:24 PM, 2G wrote:

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Well, that is refreshing - you don't claim that egliders are risk free. I am only trying to offer OBJECTIVE scientific data (not opinion as you say) on the risks of lithium batteries. In my judgment the technology is not ready for CRITICAL life-
    dependent applications. Remember, it was YOU that asked for this information!

Tom
    I don't think anyone here has claimed egliders are risk free, or that any motor/engine
    installation is risk free, but many of us believe the risk can be managed to an acceptable
    level. We've learned to manage the risks of unconnected controls, of leaving spoilers
    unlocked, of kiting during tow, and all the other risks involved in flying gliders, and we
    can learn to manage our propulsion systems, too.

Note that it's an inclusive "we": pilots, soaring organizations, manufacturers, and
    regulators.
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

There is a level of risk above which the technology SHOULD NOT be used regardless of what its proponents say is acceptable. Given the stringent risk levels imposed by the FAA on aircraft systems I say it is UNQUESTIONED that lithium battery problems not
    easily, but vastly, exceed those levels. The technology simply is not ready for aircraft use.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 8 11:32:57 2022
    On 11/7/2022 6:01 PM, 2G wrote:
    There is a level of risk above which the technology SHOULD NOT be used regardless of what its proponents say is acceptable. Given the stringent risk levels imposed by the FAA on aircraft systems I say it is UNQUESTIONED that lithium battery problems
    not easily, but vastly, exceed those levels. The technology simply is not ready for aircraft use.

Tom

90 miles north of you, the US LAK dealer has sold electric gliders for years; meanwhile,
    EASA certifies egliders, manufacturers build them, pilots buy and fly them. UNQUESTIONED
    left the building a long time ago.

"I am only trying to offer OBJECTIVE scientific data (not opinion as you say) on the risks
    of lithium batteries", but you are not meeting your own standards: "There is a level of
    risk above which the technology SHOULD NOT be used..." is not a scientific fact, but your
    judgement. Stick to the data, and your remarks will be better received.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Tue Nov 8 21:06:30 2022
    On Tuesday, November 8, 2022 at 11:33:02 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    There is a level of risk above which the technology SHOULD NOT be used regardless of what its proponents say is acceptable. Given the stringent risk levels imposed by the FAA on aircraft systems I say it is UNQUESTIONED that lithium battery problems
    not easily, but vastly, exceed those levels. The technology simply is not ready for aircraft use.

Tom
    90 miles north of you, the US LAK dealer has sold electric gliders for years; meanwhile,
    EASA certifies egliders, manufacturers build them, pilots buy and fly them. UNQUESTIONED
    "I am only trying to offer OBJECTIVE scientific data (not opinion as you say) on the risks
    of lithium batteries", but you are not meeting your own standards: "There is a level of
    risk above which the technology SHOULD NOT be used..." is not a scientific fact, but your
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Eric, then come up with ONE peer-reviewed scientific paper that says the dendrite growth problem in lithium batteries has BEEN SOLVED. Just ONE. Until then, you have just got a bunch of scientist wannabees that are only known for sweeping problems under
    the rug.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 9 08:12:37 2022
    On 11/8/2022 9:06 PM, 2G wrote:

Tom
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Eric, then come up with ONE peer-reviewed scientific paper that says the dendrite growth problem in lithium batteries has BEEN SOLVED. Just ONE. Until then, you have just got a bunch of scientist wannabees that are only known for sweeping problems
    under the rug.

Tom

Would you consider an electric glider powered by LiFe cells safe enough?

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Wed Nov 9 16:51:36 2022
    On Wednesday, November 9, 2022 at 8:12:40 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On Monday, November 7, 2022 at 5:21:11 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote: >> https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications
    There is a level of risk above which the technology SHOULD NOT be used regardless of what its proponents say is acceptable. Given the stringent risk levels imposed by the FAA on aircraft systems I say it is UNQUESTIONED that lithium battery
    problems not easily, but vastly, exceed those levels. The technology simply is not ready for aircraft use.

Tom
    judgement. Stick to the data, and your remarks will be better received. >> --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Eric, then come up with ONE peer-reviewed scientific paper that says the dendrite growth problem in lithium batteries has BEEN SOLVED. Just ONE. Until then, you have just got a bunch of scientist wannabees that are only known for sweeping problems
    under the rug.

Tom
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

I will take that as you can't even find ONE scientific paper that says the dendrite problem has been solved. LFP cells are just less likely to catch fire than other lithium chemistries - not a ringing endorsement. They are also considerably less energy
    dense, making them marginal for use as an eglider.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 9 20:10:53 2022
    On Wednesday, November 9, 2022 at 7:51:38 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
    On Wednesday, November 9, 2022 at 8:12:40 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On Monday, November 7, 2022 at 5:21:11 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote: >> https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications
    There is a level of risk above which the technology SHOULD NOT be used regardless of what its proponents say is acceptable. Given the stringent risk levels imposed by the FAA on aircraft systems I say it is UNQUESTIONED that lithium battery
    problems not easily, but vastly, exceed those levels. The technology simply is not ready for aircraft use.

Tom
    judgement. Stick to the data, and your remarks will be better received. >> --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

under the rug.

Tom
    Would you consider an electric glider powered by LiFe cells safe enough? --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    I will take that as you can't even find ONE scientific paper that says the dendrite problem has been solved. LFP cells are just less likely to catch fire than other lithium chemistries - not a ringing endorsement. They are also considerably less energy

Tom
    Solved in mass sale batteries?, no. But a much better understanding on the lab scale (as published spring 2021 from multiple sources) of dendrite formation and prevention.

Big culprit is higher charge rates which is the Holy Grail to overcome. Second is the separator materials used.
    Currently small scale is orders better than current "over the counter" batteries. I know of more current research but NDA's prevent me from saying more but should be published early 2022.

One paper... https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2109654118
    another paper... https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/aenm.202100666

Plenty more to look at online. I did an online search for "battery dendrites". Looking forward to next spring.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 9 20:25:57 2022
    On 11/9/2022 4:51 PM, 2G wrote:

under the rug.

Tom
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Tom
    I haven't looked for a paper that asserts anything about dendrites, because I don't think
    it's information I need.

I am still curious about this: Would you consider an electric glider powered by LiFe cells
    safe enough? You already use at least one Life battery in your glider, so it occurred to
    me they might be acceptable for propelling a glider.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Wed Nov 9 21:27:29 2022
    On Wednesday, November 9, 2022 at 8:26:03 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:

under the rug.

Tom
    Would you consider an electric glider powered by LiFe cells safe enough? >> --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

I will take that as you can't even find ONE scientific paper that says the dendrite problem has been solved. LFP cells are just less likely to catch fire than other lithium chemistries - not a ringing endorsement. They are also considerably less
    energy dense, making them marginal for use as an eglider.

Tom
    I haven't looked for a paper that asserts anything about dendrites, because I don't think
    it's information I need.

I am still curious about this: Would you consider an electric glider powered by LiFe cells
    safe enough? You already use at least one Life battery in your glider, so it occurred to
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

I am curious why YOU asked for more scientific information on a subject that you didn't need.

I thought my answer was plain enough, but let me state it this way: at this time I don't consider ANY electric glider to be safe, at least by aviation standards.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to All on Thu Nov 10 07:43:07 2022
    On 11/9/2022 9:27 PM, 2G wrote:

under the rug.

Tom
    Would you consider an electric glider powered by LiFe cells safe enough? >>>> --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

I will take that as you can't even find ONE scientific paper that says the dendrite problem has been solved. LFP cells are just less likely to catch fire than other lithium chemistries - not a ringing endorsement. They are also considerably less

Tom
    it's information I need.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

I am curious why YOU asked for more scientific information on a subject that you didn't need.

I thought my answer was plain enough, but let me state it this way: at this time I don't consider ANY electric glider to be safe, at least by aviation standards.

Tom
    Your answers were plain, but you didn't answer the question either time: Would you
    consider an electric glider powered by LiFe cells to be safe enough?

I asked for more evidence about vibration induced problems the Taurus might have suffered,
    not specifically scientific evidence. That knowledge might actually be of value to me and
    others, as handling the batteries is up to the pilot. I did not ask for evidence on
    dendrites, as there is nothing I can do about them.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Dave Nadler on Thu Nov 10 09:52:51 2022
    On 11/7/22 6:42 AM, Dave Nadler wrote:

Some things just can't be solved with technology. I keep remembering
    how a large percentage of the FES battery packs were shipped back to the factory fully charged, even after explicit instructions not to do that
    (and after three fires!). Seems like some people just haven't gotten
    the word yet that storing lithium batteries fully charged stresses them
    and encourages the dendrite formation. The Electro Taurus pilot was
    known to store his batteries fully charged, but that appears to be
    uncommon practice.

My cell phone is smart enough to not charge the battery fully until just
    before I typically get up in the morning. Doing something similar for
    electric gliders is a much tougher problem.

-Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Thu Nov 10 08:31:13 2022
    On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 10:43:10 AM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Eric, then come up with ONE peer-reviewed scientific paper that says the dendrite growth problem in lithium batteries has BEEN SOLVED. Just ONE. Until then, you have just got a bunch of scientist wannabees that are only known for sweeping
    problems under the rug.

Tom
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Tom
    it's information I need.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Tom
    Your answers were plain, but you didn't answer the question either time: Would you

I asked for more evidence about vibration induced problems the Taurus might have suffered,
    not specifically scientific evidence. That knowledge might actually be of value to me and
    others, as handling the batteries is up to the pilot. I did not ask for evidence on
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Interesting to challenge 2G m knowledge base which seems to be fairly extensive but selective in interpretation.
    From my investigation I concluded that LiFe cells are not suitable due to low available max discharge rates. The number of cells needed in parallel would be impractical.
    Studying available info shows that cell life varies a lot but it is most strongly affected by 3 parameters.
    1- How fast is the charge. Fast charge is associated with heating but also significantly increases the rate of dendrite growth which leads to degraded capacity as well as increased internal resistance that reduces current supplying capability. "Fast"
    chargers that charge at a high rate, and then cut off at a point normally determined by voltage run the risk of over charging some cells before cut off to low rate which leads to early failure. Increases heat can lead to more damage. The auto people are
    really pushing this because range(top it up) and charge time are big issues in adopting electric cars.
    2- Over charge- forcing maximum charge stresses weaker cells more and adds heat. It also accelerates dendrite growth.
    3- High high a discharge rate. Higher rates lead to more heating and also promote faster dendrite growth affecting life expectancy. It also stresses the weaker cells more.
    Generally it can be reasonably said that dendrite growth is more about life of cells than safety.
    Safety can be enhanced a lot by:
    1- Charge at low rate . I charge my glider battery at 3 amps maximum. My BMS will dissipate all of that as end of charge is reached.
    2- Don't charge to max possible voltage. This stresses cells less by not over charging. In my case this sacrifices about 15% of theoretical possible capacity.
    3- Discharge well below manufacturer's data sheet rate. My cells are rated at 25 amps and my max rate is 14 amps for 2 minutes, then about 9 amps after that. I never see a meaningful rise in battery pack temperature.
    4- Don't over discharge. I limit to about 20% remaining.
    5 Don't drop the damn things. At least one of the FES battery failures was associated with mechanical damage due to dropping. FES ships all now get special carrying boxes to protect batteries when not in the ship. In my battery the likely damage from
    dropping would probably be to connections. I highly doubt it would hurt individual cells. I wonder how many phones that have have Lipo batteries and caught fire had been dropped.
    6- Choice in battery construction. My opinion here- Lion cylindrical(18650 "laptop" style) can be expected to be much more durable than the Lipo pouch type cells. They are simply more robust. That said they are more energy dense per pound and have a lot
    fewer connections to fail. With about 250 sailplanes currently using the Lipo batteries, they far outnumber the ones in use that have Lion cells.
    7- Isolate the battery from the flight crew and vent it. My 24EL has a full fire wall, barrier surfaces in the motor bay, and operates with the motor bay doors open. Our ASH25 does not have a fire wall because it is physically not possible to do so.
    FWIW- ready for incoming.
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to kinsell on Thu Nov 10 10:52:38 2022
    On 11/10/2022 8:52 AM, kinsell wrote:
    On 11/7/22 6:42 AM, Dave Nadler wrote:

Some things just can't be solved with technology.  I keep remembering how a large
    percentage of the FES battery packs were shipped back to the factory fully charged, even
    after explicit instructions not to do that (and after three fires!).  Seems like some
    people just haven't gotten the word yet that storing lithium batteries fully charged
    stresses them and encourages the dendrite formation.  The Electro Taurus pilot was known
    to store his batteries fully charged, but that appears to be uncommon practice.

It's hard to retrain some people that are accustomed to lead acid batteries, which prefer
    a full charge, or end a long-time habit of charging fully overnight, and even just to get
    them to Read the Full Manual. The five FES pilots I know are fully aware of the value of
    partial charging for periods longer than a day or two, and have the discharging equipment
    required to reduce charge when needed.

My cell phone is smart enough to not charge the battery fully until just before I
    typically get up in the morning.  Doing something similar for electric gliders is a much
    tougher problem.

Getting a partial charge isn't a problem if the battery is at your home, which would be
    the case for most FES batteries. The Antares had it's own cell phone, so the pilot could
    remotely check battery status, and command a full charge without going to the airport.
    Electric gliders that have power and wifi available could easily do same thing remotely,
    similar to the Antares, using a wifi controlled relay box. If WiFi isn't available, but
    power is, a cell phone activated relay box could do the same thing as easily and almost as
    cheaply.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Thu Nov 10 20:51:03 2022
    On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 7:43:10 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Eric, then come up with ONE peer-reviewed scientific paper that says the dendrite growth problem in lithium batteries has BEEN SOLVED. Just ONE. Until then, you have just got a bunch of scientist wannabees that are only known for sweeping
    problems under the rug.

Tom
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Tom
    it's information I need.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Tom

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

I answered your question as directly as I can. If that is not adequate, so be it.

ALL of the information I have on the Taurus Electro is in the accident report. If you want anything over and above it you will have to research it for yourself.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Hank Nixon on Thu Nov 10 20:56:03 2022
    On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 8:31:16 AM UTC-8, Hank Nixon wrote:
    On Thursday, November 10, 2022 at 10:43:10 AM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:

problems under the rug.

Tom
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Tom
    it's information I need.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Tom

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    Interesting to challenge 2G m knowledge base which seems to be fairly extensive but selective in interpretation.
    From my investigation I concluded that LiFe cells are not suitable due to low available max discharge rates. The number of cells needed in parallel would be impractical.
    Studying available info shows that cell life varies a lot but it is most strongly affected by 3 parameters.
    1- How fast is the charge. Fast charge is associated with heating but also significantly increases the rate of dendrite growth which leads to degraded capacity as well as increased internal resistance that reduces current supplying capability. "Fast"
    chargers that charge at a high rate, and then cut off at a point normally determined by voltage run the risk of over charging some cells before cut off to low rate which leads to early failure. Increases heat can lead to more damage. The auto people are
    really pushing this because range(top it up) and charge time are big issues in adopting electric cars.
    2- Over charge- forcing maximum charge stresses weaker cells more and adds heat. It also accelerates dendrite growth.
    3- High high a discharge rate. Higher rates lead to more heating and also promote faster dendrite growth affecting life expectancy. It also stresses the weaker cells more.
    Generally it can be reasonably said that dendrite growth is more about life of cells than safety.
    Safety can be enhanced a lot by:
    1- Charge at low rate . I charge my glider battery at 3 amps maximum. My BMS will dissipate all of that as end of charge is reached.
    2- Don't charge to max possible voltage. This stresses cells less by not over charging. In my case this sacrifices about 15% of theoretical possible capacity.
    3- Discharge well below manufacturer's data sheet rate. My cells are rated at 25 amps and my max rate is 14 amps for 2 minutes, then about 9 amps after that. I never see a meaningful rise in battery pack temperature.
    4- Don't over discharge. I limit to about 20% remaining.
    5 Don't drop the damn things. At least one of the FES battery failures was associated with mechanical damage due to dropping. FES ships all now get special carrying boxes to protect batteries when not in the ship. In my battery the likely damage from
    dropping would probably be to connections. I highly doubt it would hurt individual cells. I wonder how many phones that have have Lipo batteries and caught fire had been dropped.
    6- Choice in battery construction. My opinion here- Lion cylindrical(18650 "laptop" style) can be expected to be much more durable than the Lipo pouch type cells. They are simply more robust. That said they are more energy dense per pound and have a
    lot fewer connections to fail. With about 250 sailplanes currently using the Lipo batteries, they far outnumber the ones in use that have Lion cells.
    7- Isolate the battery from the flight crew and vent it. My 24EL has a full fire wall, barrier surfaces in the motor bay, and operates with the motor bay doors open. Our ASH25 does not have a fire wall because it is physically not possible to do so.
    FWIW- ready for incoming.
    UH

The fact that the rate and level of charging of lithium batteries affects their longevity and, more importantly, their safety puts them into a separate class altogether from any other propulsion source. I can fill my gas tank at any rate and to any level
    and not have to worry about it catching fire. I can also drain it completely, also without any concern. I can also run the engine at idle or at full power without concern that it will catch fire. Lithium propulsion batteries are JUST NOT ready for prime
    time IMHO.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to mdfa...@gmail.com on Fri Nov 11 07:39:46 2022
    On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 11:02:53 AM UTC-4, mdfa...@gmail.com wrote:

Mike
    Returning to the original question.
    I don't have experience with the Electro but have some electric and a ton of training experience.
    Consider the mission carefully.
    1) Will it be for primary training? If so there could be some real benefit in efficiency for early air work(no waiting for a tow to do more exercises) , and learning the pattern(easily 6 or 8 patterns per hour). Use this way would mean battery life
    between charges would become limiting. It would pay to investigate the practicality of having an additional set of batteries to switch out and understanding how long this would take.
    2) Are you prepared to deal with the known issues of living with an electric aircraft? Charging facilities. Staff to make sure batteries are charged (properly) and ready to go. Having to re charge during a flying day takes a good bit of time and high
    charge rates to get done quickly are known to be hard on batteries and known ton have an adverse affect on safety.
    3) Doing some of your training in the electric will reduce the load on your tow plane which has several benefits. Less wait for tows for the regular gliders. Less wear on the tug.
    Some of the benefits also obviously apply to ICE powered sailplanes. For this mission the ASK-21MI comes to mind.
    It is worth noting that Pipestrel has been with this stuff for a while.
    FWIW
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 11 07:49:19 2022
    On 11/10/2022 8:56 PM, 2G wrote:
    The fact that the rate and level of charging of lithium batteries affects their longevity and, more importantly, their safety puts them into a separate class altogether from any other propulsion source. I can fill my gas tank at any rate and to any
    level and not have to worry about it catching fire. I can also drain it completely, also without any concern. I can also run the engine at idle or at full power without concern that it will catch fire. Lithium propulsion batteries are JUST NOT ready for
    prime time IMHO.

Tom

Gasoline fueled aircraft can leak fuel, which can be ignited and cause a fire. Fuel stored
    in hangars has also caused fires. An ASH26E, the predecessor to your ASH31Mi, caught fire
    in flight while under power, due to a faulty muffler (miraculously, no injury). Airplane
    pilots have died from carbon monoxide poisoning, something electric power avoids. The
    vibration from gasoline engines can cause failures as parts crack or break.

Every propulsion system has potential problems. We work to learn to the correct use of
    each one, the manufacturers work to make their system easier and safer, and at some point,
    each pilot decides the gliders (gas, jet, electric, towed, winched) offered are safe
    enough for them, buys one, and flies it.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Fri Nov 11 22:38:49 2022
    On Friday, November 11, 2022 at 7:49:27 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On 11/10/2022 8:56 PM, 2G wrote:
    The fact that the rate and level of charging of lithium batteries affects their longevity and, more importantly, their safety puts them into a separate class altogether from any other propulsion source. I can fill my gas tank at any rate and to any
    level and not have to worry about it catching fire. I can also drain it completely, also without any concern. I can also run the engine at idle or at full power without concern that it will catch fire. Lithium propulsion batteries are JUST NOT ready for
    prime time IMHO.

Tom
    Gasoline fueled aircraft can leak fuel, which can be ignited and cause a fire. Fuel stored
    in hangars has also caused fires. An ASH26E, the predecessor to your ASH31Mi, caught fire
    in flight while under power, due to a faulty muffler (miraculously, no injury). Airplane
    pilots have died from carbon monoxide poisoning, something electric power avoids. The
    vibration from gasoline engines can cause failures as parts crack or break.

Every propulsion system has potential problems. We work to learn to the correct use of
    each one, the manufacturers work to make their system easier and safer, and at some point,
    each pilot decides the gliders (gas, jet, electric, towed, winched) offered are safe
    enough for them, buys one, and flies it.
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

No, Eric, there IS NO comparison between gas engines and battery failure mechanisms. You are just equivocating. I have NEVER had a fuel tank leak, nor do I expect it to. We have over 100 years of experience with gas engines and their problems. Lithium
    batteries, on the other hand, can be EXPECTED to grow dendrites - it is just a matter of when and how much.

The problem is solvable and PNNL has a patent on one such solution: https://www.pnnl.gov/available-technologies/dendrite-growth-prevention-technology-lithium-metal-batteries
    But this hasn't found its way into the mass market and has been proven by user experience AFAIK.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05