• Advisory Circular on 'see and avoid'

From Darren Braun@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 1 15:01:28 2022
    Recently published possibly as the result of the Watsonville midair.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_90-48E.pdf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From George Haeh@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 1 16:07:18 2022
    Unfortunately I know of two mid-airs and one ground collision between PowerFLARM equipped aircraft where one PowerFLARM was not operating.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Moshe Braner@21:1/5 to George Haeh on Tue Nov 1 20:01:02 2022
    On 11/1/2022 7:07 PM, George Haeh wrote:
    Unfortunately I know of two mid-airs and one ground collision between PowerFLARM equipped aircraft where one PowerFLARM was not operating.

Even when both aircraft have operating FLARM devices, that alone cannot
    prevent all collision dangers. E.g., once I was circling in a thermal
    and all of a sudden my FLARM starting beeping like the end of the world
    is coming. The last thing I was going to do at that time was to look at
    my gizmos. I looked outside, but never saw the other glider. Thus I
    could not take evasive action. No collision, but that was just dumb
    luck and moderately-big-sky. I suppose had I looked at the gizmos
    earlier I might have seen the other glider on the moving map, so would
    have had more situational awareness. The other pilot told me later that
    he never got a warning from his FLARM.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)@21:1/5 to Moshe Braner on Tue Nov 1 18:32:31 2022
    On Tuesday, November 1, 2022 at 8:01:04 PM UTC-4, Moshe Braner wrote:

Even when both aircraft have operating FLARM devices, that alone cannot prevent all collision dangers. E.g., once I was circling in a thermal
    Good info.
    True story, I recently did my first flying with FLARM at the Newcastle VA contest.
    Late day, heading west on the ridge, I had a FLARM alert on my Clearnav map display. Target was near my altitude heading towards me on the ridg with his right wing to the ridge, thus giving him "right of way".
    Being alerted, I looked for the target but he sun was almost directly behind him.
    I zoomed the map range in from 5 miles to 2 miles and watched the target on he display while also trying to see the target.
    When close, I moved quite a bit away from the ridge giving them room.
    The target was about 45* to me before I actually saw them.
    Once past, I moved back into the,ridge.
    I brought this up the next day at the pilots meeting. The gist was, "see and avoid" or you may end up "dead right".
    Would sound silly to try to explain later, "I saw the other guy, but I had right of way and still hit him".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Darren Braun on Wed Nov 2 09:38:30 2022
    Seventeen pages to tell me not to run into another aircraft.

Dan
    5J

On 11/1/22 16:01, Darren Braun wrote:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Wed Nov 2 10:40:14 2022
    On Wednesday, November 2, 2022 at 9:38:34 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Seventeen pages to tell me not to run into another aircraft.

For the Feds, that's pretty brief. I would have thought 150 pages would be the minimum, just to make sure a larger number of FAA employees would be given the opportunity to add their input. "Creating jobs," don't ya' know.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ramy@21:1/5 to Moshe Braner on Wed Nov 2 20:52:34 2022
    After flying with powerflarm for thousands of hours since the day it became available in the US, I believe the unit itself works pretty well, what has still lots of room for improvement is the interface with the pilots. Most displays lack good effective
    interface, one that gives you continuous situational awareness without distracting the pilot much and without much head down. I understand there is no easy solution. My experience is similar to Moshe, the collision alarm can be startling and hard to
    interpret quickly, what we need is better situational awareness. The powerflarm can be configured to give you alerts of new traffic, but I wish it would give more than just initial alert but also when traffic is getting closer. This is not the same as
    alarms which can be very distracting, just a short beep or voice alert that traffic is getting closer. I had lots of discussions about it with LXnav, and some enhancements were made, but there is still plenty of room for improving the displays and alerts.
    Pilots also should be aware how to configure their powerflarms and displays and how to interact with them so they will be more effective.
    Collision avoidance technology like powerflarm and ads-b are far better than our eyes will ever be, and true life savers. Anyone flying without collision avoidance technology in areas with traffic is risking their lives and other lives.
    I wish this advisory emphasized more about technology instead of expecting pilots to be able to scan non stop, focus for a second every few degrees etc. I do this when I get alerts for traffic less than 2 miles and know where to look and still can only
    see the traffic less than half the time, normally when they are less than 1 mile away.

Ramy

On Tuesday, November 1, 2022 at 5:01:04 PM UTC-7, Moshe Braner wrote:

Even when both aircraft have operating FLARM devices, that alone cannot prevent all collision dangers. E.g., once I was circling in a thermal

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 5 15:58:13 2022
    T24gMTEvMi8yMDIyIDg6NTIgUE0sIFJhbXkgd3JvdGU6DQo+IEFmdGVyIGZseWluZyB3aXRo IHBvd2VyZmxhcm0gZm9yIHRob3VzYW5kcyBvZiBob3VycyBzaW5jZSB0aGUgZGF5IGl0IGJl Y2FtZSBhdmFpbGFibGUgaW4gdGhlIFVTLCBJIGJlbGlldmUgdGhlIHVuaXQgaXRzZWxmIHdv cmtzIHByZXR0eSB3ZWxsLCB3aGF0IGhhcyBzdGlsbCBsb3RzIG9mIHJvb20gZm9yIGltcHJv dmVtZW50IGlzIHRoZSBpbnRlcmZhY2Ugd2l0aCB0aGUgcGlsb3RzLiBNb3N0IGRpc3BsYXlz IGxhY2sgZ29vZCBlZmZlY3RpdmUgaW50ZXJmYWNlLCBvbmUgdGhhdCBnaXZlcyB5b3UgY29u dGludW91cyBzaXR1YXRpb25hbCBhd2FyZW5lc3Mgd2l0aG91dCBkaXN0cmFjdGluZyB0aGUg cGlsb3QgbXVjaCBhbmQgd2l0aG91dCBtdWNoIGhlYWQgZG93bi4gSSB1bmRlcnN0YW5kIHRo ZXJlIGlzIG5vIGVhc3kgc29sdXRpb24uIE15IGV4cGVyaWVuY2UgaXMgc2ltaWxhciB0byBN b3NoZSwgdGhlIGNvbGxpc2lvbiBhbGFybSBjYW4gYmUgc3RhcnRsaW5nIGFuZCBoYXJkIHRv IGludGVycHJldCBxdWlja2x5LCB3aGF0IHdlIG5lZWQgaXMgYmV0dGVyIHNpdHVhdGlvbmFs IGF3YXJlbmVzcy4gVGhlIHBvd2VyZmxhcm0gY2FuIGJlIGNvbmZpZ3VyZWQgdG8gZ2l2ZSB5 b3UgYWxlcnRzIG9mIG5ldyB0cmFmZmljLCBidXQgSSB3aXNoIGl0IHdvdWxkIGdpdmUgbW9y ZSB0aGFuIGp1c3QgaW5pdGlhbCBhbGVydCBidXQgYWxzbyB3aGVuIHRyYWZmaWMgaXMgZ2V0 dGluZyBjbG9zZXIuIFRoaXMgaXMgbm90IHRoZSBzYW1lIGFzIGFsYXJtcyB3aGljaCBjYW4g YmUgdmVyeSBkaXN0cmFjdGluZywganVzdCBhIHNob3J0IGJlZXAgb3Igdm9pY2UgYWxlcnQg dGhhdCB0cmFmZmljIGlzIGdldHRpbmcgY2xvc2VyLiBJIGhhZCBsb3RzIG9mIGRpc2N1c3Np b25zIGFib3V0IGl0IHdpdGggTFhuYXYsIGFuZCBzb21lIGVuaGFuY2VtZW50cyB3ZXJlIG1h ZGUsIGJ1dCB0aGVyZSBpcyBzdGlsbCBwbGVudHkgb2Ygcm9vbSBmb3IgaW1wcm92aW5nIHRo ZSBkaXNwbGF5cyBhbmQgYWxlcnRzLiBQaWxvdHMgYWxzbyBzaG91bGQgYmUgYXdhcmUgaG93 IHRvIGNvbmZpZ3VyZSB0aGVpciBwb3dlcmZsYXJtcyBhbmQgZGlzcGxheXMgYW5kIGhvdyB0 byBpbnRlcmFjdCB3aXRoIHRoZW0gc28gdGhleSB3aWxsIGJlIG1vcmUgZWZmZWN0aXZlLg0K PiAgIENvbGxpc2lvbiBhdm9pZGFuY2UgdGVjaG5vbG9neSBsaWtlIHBvd2VyZmxhcm0gYW5k IGFkcy1iIGFyZSBmYXIgYmV0dGVyIHRoYW4gb3VyIGV5ZXMgd2lsbCBldmVyIGJlLCBhbmQg dHJ1ZSBsaWZlIHNhdmVycy4gQW55b25lIGZseWluZyB3aXRob3V0IGNvbGxpc2lvbiBhdm9p ZGFuY2UgdGVjaG5vbG9neSBpbiBhcmVhcyB3aXRoIHRyYWZmaWMgaXMgcmlza2luZyB0aGVp ciBsaXZlcyBhbmQgb3RoZXIgbGl2ZXMuDQo+IEkgd2lzaCB0aGlzIGFkdmlzb3J5IGVtcGhh c2l6ZWQgbW9yZSBhYm91dCB0ZWNobm9sb2d5IGluc3RlYWQgb2YgZXhwZWN0aW5nIHBpbG90 cyB0byBiZSBhYmxlIHRvIHNjYW4gbm9uIHN0b3AsIGZvY3VzIGZvciBhIHNlY29uZCBldmVy eSBmZXcgZGVncmVlcyBldGMuIEkgZG8gdGhpcyB3aGVuIEkgZ2V0IGFsZXJ0cyBmb3IgdHJh ZmZpYyBsZXNzIHRoYW4gMiBtaWxlcyBhbmQga25vdyB3aGVyZSB0byBsb29rIGFuZCBzdGls bCBjYW4gb25seSBzZWUgdGhlIHRyYWZmaWMgbGVzcyB0aGFuIGhhbGYgdGhlIHRpbWUsIG5v cm1hbGx5IHdoZW4gdGhleSBhcmUgbGVzcyB0aGFuIDEgbWlsZSBhd2F5Lg0KPiANCj4gUmFt eQ0KDQpJIGhhdmUgdGhlIHNhbWUgaXNzdWVzOiBldmVuIHRob3VnaCBJIGtub3cgd2hhdCBk aXJlY3Rpb24gdG8gbG9vaywgYW5kIGFib3V0IGhvdyBoaWdoLCANCml0J3Mgc3RpbGwgYSBy ZWxhdGl2ZWx5IGxhcmdlIGFyZWEgdGhhdCBuZWVkcyB0byBiZSBzY2FubmVkLiBXb3JzZSwg YSB0aHJlYXQgaXMgbW9zdGx5IA0KaGVhZCBvciB0YWlsIHRvIG1lLCBzbyBpdCdzIHJlbGF0 aXZlbHkgc21hbGwgY29tcGFyZWQgdG8gdGhlIGFyZWEgUG93ZXJmbGFybSBkaXJlY3RlZCBt ZSANCnRvLiBNYXliZSBzdHJvYmUgbGlnaHQgaW4gdGhlIG5vc2UgYW5kIHRhaWwgKG9yIHRv cCBhbmQgYm90dG9tKSwgd2l0aCB0aGUgcmVsZXZhbnQgbGlnaHQgDQp0cmlnZ2VyZWQgYnkg YSB0aHJlYXQ/DQoNCkVyaWMNCg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 5 16:35:23 2022
    "Maybe strobe light in the nose and tail (or top and bottom), with the relevant light
    triggered by a threat? "

Wings and Wheels carries exactly what you are describing:

https://wingsandwheels.com/sotecc-strobe.html https://wingsandwheels.com/sotecc-canopy-flasher.html

These are very bright, are integrated with Flarm and will deplete your bank account in an impressive manner.

I have seen a few of the red, forward flashing canopy strobes in flight, and they definitely get your attention. The cost is pretty prohibitive, but it is a well thought out system. I'd love to try to develop something more affordable, but my electrical
    engineering skill set is more suited to jump starting a car. There are lots of LED flashers used on Law Enforcement and Emergency vehicles. They seem to be small enough, bright enough and inexpensive, but I do not know whether they are as bright as the
    Sotecc system, which advertises something like 5000 lumens. Some of you with more impressive electrical knowledge should jump in here with advice and counsel.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George Haeh@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 5 18:20:47 2022
    The displays seem to be designed by guys just out of school who haven't yet made it to the presbyopia decades.

My Oudie gets PowerFLARM data from my Air Glide S vario. It shows me nice big fat colored (according to height difference) aircraft symbols on a half decent sized screen and alerts me to stuff a good ways away. There's lots of stuff I can't see that I
    make very sure to stay well clear of.

I also see increasing amounts of ADS-B traffic, even in Canada. If I can't reach converging traffic on radio, I give them lots of room.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ramy@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Sat Nov 5 19:49:38 2022
    I have the canopy flasher which is connected to my powerflarm.
    It used to cost half of the current price when I purchased it directly from Garret end of last year.
    At least there is no installation cost as they are relatively easy to install. Some reported noticing it, some not. Can’t tell how effective they are. Better than nothing for sure.

Ramy

On Saturday, November 5, 2022 at 4:35:26 PM UTC-7, Mark Mocho wrote:
    "Maybe strobe light in the nose and tail (or top and bottom), with the relevant light
    triggered by a threat? "

https://wingsandwheels.com/sotecc-strobe.html https://wingsandwheels.com/sotecc-canopy-flasher.html

These are very bright, are integrated with Flarm and will deplete your bank account in an impressive manner.

I have seen a few of the red, forward flashing canopy strobes in flight, and they definitely get your attention. The cost is pretty prohibitive, but it is a well thought out system. I'd love to try to develop something more affordable, but my
    electrical engineering skill set is more suited to jump starting a car. There are lots of LED flashers used on Law Enforcement and Emergency vehicles. They seem to be small enough, bright enough and inexpensive, but I do not know whether they are as
    bright as the Sotecc system, which advertises something like 5000 lumens. Some of you with more impressive electrical knowledge should jump in here with advice and counsel.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Darren Braun@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 5 22:51:16 2022
    Unilight in Austria makes some decent strobe setups for large RC aircraft and can be driven off a 2 or 3s lipo or you could use a 2 or 3s life but these lights are not tremendously powerful. 8W is okay, the 16 W spotlight is more like it.

I'm making something using an Arduino and pwr mosfets for a multi voltage design and with the LEDs used for signal and brake lighting used for cars, it could be pretty bright... again this is for RC application but could also be adapted to full size.
    Darren

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Moshe Braner@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Sun Nov 6 08:25:39 2022
    On 11/5/2022 7:35 PM, Mark Mocho wrote:
    triggered by a threat? "

I have seen a few of the red, forward flashing canopy strobes in flight, and they definitely get your attention. The cost is pretty prohibitive, but it is a well thought out system. I'd love to try to develop something more affordable, but my
    electrical engineering skill set is more suited to jump starting a car. There are lots of LED flashers used on Law Enforcement and Emergency vehicles. They seem to be small enough, bright enough and inexpensive, but I do not know whether they are as
    bright as the Sotecc system, which advertises something like 5000 lumens. Some of you with more impressive electrical knowledge should jump in here with advice and counsel.

Would something like this be bright enough? https://www.amazon.com/Xprite-Intensity-Enforcement-Emergency-Windshield/dp/B00GVH0UGK

For controlling the strobe, based in part on input from FLARM, can use
    this, with modified software: https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/wiki/SkyView-EZ

See also:
    https://skyflar.com/product/skyflar-led-strobe-light-st-101-red-12v/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 6 06:38:39 2022
    Martin-
    The Xprite looks like it would do the job, but it is WAY too big for the cockpit of a glider, at 10 inches by 5.5 inches by 3.5 inches. The Softecc canopy flasher is a nice, small package that doesn't impinge on the pilots' forward view. The custom 3d
    printed shield also minimizes annoying canopy reflections. I also like the skyflar strobe, but it needs better streamlining for external use on the fuselage. I can't comment on the SkyView as a controller, but I am inclined to choose the control box for
    the Softecc because of the plug-and-play setup, something I may be qualified to implement.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Darren Braun@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 6 07:55:25 2022
    I'll be trying Yorkim LEDs.., the 3157 which is about 2800 lumens in a couple different colors. Definitely want lighting to be condition based on some input like Flarm. The amount of power consumed for lighting these RC planes is significant on a fully
    decked out setup with strobes/beacons and spotlights.
    Darren

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Moshe Braner@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Sun Nov 6 11:17:08 2022
    On 11/6/2022 9:38 AM, Mark Mocho wrote:
    Martin-
    The Xprite looks like it would do the job, but it is WAY too big for the cockpit of a glider, at 10 inches by 5.5 inches by 3.5 inches. The Softecc canopy flasher is a nice, small package that doesn't impinge on the pilots' forward view. The custom 3d
    printed shield also minimizes annoying canopy reflections. I also like the skyflar strobe, but it needs better streamlining for external use on the fuselage. I can't comment on the SkyView as a controller, but I am inclined to choose the control box for
    the Softecc because of the plug-and-play setup, something I may be qualified to implement.

The Xprite model I mentioned is only 8.7 (w) x 1.6 (h) x 5.5 (d) inches.
    May be small enough for some cockpits? If it is bright enough, can
    cut in half and it would be only 4.4 inches wide. The shield could be
    trimmed, added to, or replaced altogether. When used only in short
    flashes, perhaps the current can be increased without burning out the
    LEDs, for added brightness. Can bypass the original control circuit altogether.

Of course the Softecc is plug and play, but you said it is expensive and
    you'd like to develop an independent option. Skyview is just a FLARM
    viewer, but with open source software. It would not be hard to add
    strobe controlling into the software. I can do that. Can also use a smaller/cheaper controller without the big e-paper display, if dedicated
    to the purpose of controlling the strobe. E.g., https://www.amazon.com/ESP32-WROOM-32-Development-ESP-32S-Bluetooth-Arduino/dp/B084KWNMM4

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Darren Braun@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 6 09:50:03 2022
    The custom 3d printed shield also minimizes annoying canopy reflections.
    The directional lighting is only so helpful based on what I see from TG. An omni directional strobe is the best choice.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Darren Braun@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 14 09:20:11 2022
    Ugh. Another midair this weekend involving a P-63 and B-17. So tragic.. a lot of cases where see and avoid simply doesn't work, ..as we all know.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Darren Braun on Tue Nov 15 04:03:14 2022
    On Monday, November 14, 2022 at 12:20:13 PM UTC-5, Darren Braun wrote:
    Ugh. Another midair this weekend involving a P-63 and B-17. So tragic.. a lot of cases where see and avoid simply doesn't work, ..as we all know.
    What was surprising about this accident is that there was no altitude HALO for each aircraft within the airshow airspace. The B-17 was operating at say 1000 feet and the P63 should have been operating no lower than say 1300 feet separating each aircraft
    within the flight circle would have saved lives. Stacking these craft by type and altitude should have been protocol for the event. I was reading where the Feds say that they are investigating the cause, look pretty obvious to anyone who watches the
    video. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Stuart Venters@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Tue Nov 15 08:54:04 2022
    On 11/15/22 06:03, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    What was surprising about this accident is that there was no altitude HALO for each aircraft within the airshow airspace. The B-17 was operating at say 1000 feet and the P63 should have been operating no lower than say 1300 feet separating each
    aircraft within the flight circle would have saved lives. Stacking these craft by type and altitude should have been protocol for the event. I was reading where the Feds say that they are investigating the cause, look pretty obvious to anyone who watches
    the video. OBTP

Definitely a tragic situation.

The flight path made seeing the bomber thru the fighter's belly near impossible.
    We will have to wait and see what the separation plan was and where is
    was violated.

Flarm or something like a rear view camera looking down might have
    provided an extra level of awareness to prevent this, but ideally not
    flying into a situation where you need to see thru the belly...

Is a gaggle a related flying situation? There are unseeable folks under
    your belly. It only works because of trust that all are following the plan.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Stuart Venters on Tue Nov 15 08:15:55 2022
    On 11/15/2022 6:54 AM, Stuart Venters wrote:
    On 11/15/22 06:03, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Ugh. Another midair this weekend involving a P-63 and B-17. So tragic.. a lot of cases
    where see and avoid simply doesn't work, ..as we all know.
    What was surprising about this accident is that there was no altitude HALO for each
    aircraft within the airshow airspace. The B-17 was operating at say 1000 feet and the
    P63 should have been operating no lower than say 1300 feet separating each aircraft
    within the flight circle would have saved lives. Stacking these craft by type and
    altitude should have been protocol for the event. I was reading where the Feds say that
    they are investigating the cause, look pretty obvious to anyone who watches the video. OBTP

Definitely a tragic situation.

The flight path made seeing the bomber thru the fighter's belly near impossible.
    We will have to wait and see what the separation plan was and where is was violated.

Flarm or something like a rear view camera looking down might have provided an extra level
    of awareness to prevent this, but ideally not flying into a situation where you need to
    see thru the belly...

Is a gaggle a related flying situation?  There are unseeable folks under your belly. It
    only works because of trust that all are following the plan.

I appreciate Flarm the most when there are gliders behind or below me in a gaggle.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Richard Owen@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 15 11:24:27 2022
    The augmentation of pilot skills with technology has continued since machines that fly have been around. What we need to be careful with is when technology makes pilots less competent because they give up their see and avoid or other responsibilities.
    In the airline world we are seeing more and more pilots who rely on technology so much, that they lack the stick and rudder skills and aeronautical judgement to solve problems.

In this instance we should wait to see what the exact conditions were in this accident. Were the two aircraft in contact with each other, was this a rendezvous with the B-17 by the King Cobra, or were these aircraft holding for individual passes down
    the show line? This was a tragedy, and unfortunately, something that has occurred during other air shows. Nothing can replace good piloting skills, solid procedures and great judgement.

Rich Owen

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waremark@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Tue Nov 15 14:43:10 2022
    On Tuesday, 15 November 2022 at 16:16:02 UTC, Eric Greenwell wrote:

I appreciate Flarm the most when there are gliders behind or below me in a gaggle.

Hi Eric, can you explain more what you look at? In a gaggle I try to look out not in, and find Flarm more of a distraction. It takes me too long to tell from Flarm what glider is causing Flarm to get excited.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to waremark on Tue Nov 15 15:19:18 2022
    On 11/15/2022 2:43 PM, waremark wrote:

Hi Eric, can you explain more what you look at? In a gaggle I try to look out not in, and find Flarm more of a distraction. It takes me too long to tell from Flarm what glider is causing Flarm to get excited.

The situation I had in mind is before Flarm issues a warning. I can't always see gliders
    behind me or below me, but Flarm shows me where they are and the clearance I have. So,
    instead of twisting around in my seat or maneuvering to see gliders that might be in those
    location (both of which only work some of the time), I can glance at the Flarm screen.
    That quick glance lets me spend more time looking ahead and to the sides, where I can
    actually see gliders and track them.

I also have some trouble finding the threat when Flarm warnings begin.
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waremark@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Wed Nov 16 15:11:58 2022
    On Tuesday, 15 November 2022 at 23:19:23 UTC, Eric Greenwell wrote:

The situation I had in mind is before Flarm issues a warning. I can't always see gliders
    behind me or below me, but Flarm shows me where they are and the clearance I have. So,
    instead of twisting around in my seat or maneuvering to see gliders that might be in those
    location (both of which only work some of the time), I can glance at the Flarm screen.
    That quick glance lets me spend more time looking ahead and to the sides, where I can

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

Thanks, I'll try again next season - obviously that needs you to be well zoomed in. Incidentally, I had a mid-air in 2003 joining a thermal - I and the other guy both parachuted and were unhurt. Flarm would almost certainly have prevented it - we had
    been running alongside one another for a few minutes prior to joining under circling gliders and the other guy did not realise I was close to him. (We were talking on the radio and stupidly I though he knew I was there, and I didn't say where I was).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to waremark on Thu Nov 17 09:25:35 2022
    On 11/16/2022 3:11 PM, waremark wrote:

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Thanks, I'll try again next season - obviously that needs you to be well zoomed in. Incidentally, I had a mid-air in 2003 joining a thermal - I and the other guy both parachuted and were unhurt. Flarm would almost certainly have prevented it - we had
    been running alongside one another for a few minutes prior to joining under circling gliders and the other guy did not realise I was close to him. (We were talking on the radio and stupidly I though he knew I was there, and I didn't say where I was).
    Yikes, a double bail out! I'm glad it ended well, and once again, I'm amazed at how well
    our parachutes, even with untrained users, work if we get out of the glider.

I zoom in to 1NM or less on my small rectangular Butterfly display when near other
    gliders, and use the zoomed out (20-40NM diagonal) display on my flight computer to track
    gliders that aren't near me.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waremark@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Fri Nov 18 16:05:07 2022
    On Thursday, 17 November 2022 at 17:25:39 UTC, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On 11/16/2022 3:11 PM, waremark wrote:

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Yikes, a double bail out! I'm glad it ended well, and once again, I'm amazed at how well
    our parachutes, even with untrained users, work if we get out of the glider.

I zoom in to 1NM or less on my small rectangular Butterfly display when near other
    gliders, and use the zoomed out (20-40NM diagonal) display on my flight computer to track
    gliders that aren't near me.
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

Thanks Eric. Yes, it was good business for Schleicher who sold two new gliders! Both of us had the same type of parachute, a small British company called Thomas. I called Chris Thomas the next morning to say thank you for the great job his chutes had
    done - he said send them back to me and I will look them over for you, he returned them refurbed and I never saw a bill.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kirk.stant@21:1/5 to Darren Braun on Mon Nov 28 11:11:25 2022
    On Tuesday, November 1, 2022 at 5:01:30 PM UTC-5, Darren Braun wrote:

Why is PowerFLARM missing from this AC? SSA, WTF are you doing?

Kirk 66

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05