• LX PowerFlarm Eagle - speaker audio connection to tug radio Aux input

From Bumpff Slam@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 26 02:41:59 2022
    Anyone able to advise regarding connecting the Eagle speaker output to a Pawnee radio Aux input? The LX install manual says a 1:1 or 1:4 impedance matching transformer may be required. I guess this is also to reduce ground loops.

We are exploring this because of the desire to have audio Flarm audio warnings pushed to the pilots headset, so that warnings are heard above the engine noise. We have an old OzFlarm that we modified to give headset audio and I possibly owe my life to
    the setup during a head-on near miss with a glider in the circuit (don't you love contra circuits on the same side of the field).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Tim Newport-Peace@21:1/5 to Bumpff Slam on Fri Oct 28 10:00:53 2022
    On 26/10/2022 10:41, Bumpff Slam wrote:
    Anyone able to advise regarding connecting the Eagle speaker output to a Pawnee radio Aux input? The LX install manual says a 1:1 or 1:4 impedance matching transformer may be required. I guess this is also to reduce ground loops.

We are exploring this because of the desire to have audio Flarm audio warnings pushed to the pilots headset, so that warnings are heard above the engine noise. We have an old OzFlarm that we modified to give headset audio and I possibly owe my life to
    the setup during a head-on near miss with a glider in the circuit (don't you love contra circuits on the same side of the field).

Agree about the matching transformer. It gives 0v isolation.

As you are using an output intended for a 5w Speaker (they don't
    indicate if this is 5w RMS or PEP) into an input which is probably
    expecting a 0db signal, some padding to limit the signal level might be required.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From golfsierragolf@gmail.com@21:1/5 to bumpf...@hotmail.com on Sun Oct 30 16:16:35 2022
    Which model Flarm Eagle do you have?

I'm unaware of any of these devices having an audio jack, even though I see the what has been written in the installation manual. The manual appears to jump around between the Flarm Eagle and the LX Traffic Monitor. Generally it's the flarm display that
    provides the audio, and not the flarm itself - you may need to research which flarm displays can provide audio output (the LX Traffic Monitor does), or use an intermediary device such as this one : https://www.lxnavigation.com/voice-module-for-flarm/
    flarm-voice

Cheers,
    Nick.

On Wednesday, October 26, 2022 at 8:12:01 PM UTC+10:30, bumpf...@hotmail.com wrote:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bumpff Slam@21:1/5 to golfsie...@gmail.com on Thu Nov 10 21:27:47 2022
    On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 7:16:37 AM UTC+8, golfsie...@gmail.com wrote:

I'm unaware of any of these devices having an audio jack, even though I see the what has been written in the installation manual. The manual appears to jump around between the Flarm Eagle and the LX Traffic Monitor. Generally it's the flarm display
    that provides the audio, and not the flarm itself - you may need to research which flarm displays can provide audio output (the LX Traffic Monitor does), or use an intermediary device such as this one : https://www.lxnavigation.com/voice-module-for-flarm/
    flarm-voice

Cheers,
    Nick.
    On Wednesday, October 26, 2022 at 8:12:01 PM UTC+10:30, bumpf...@hotmail.com wrote:

We are exploring this because of the desire to have audio Flarm audio warnings pushed to the pilots headset, so that warnings are heard above the engine noise. We have an old OzFlarm that we modified to give headset audio and I possibly owe my life
    to the setup during a head-on near miss with a glider in the circuit (don't you love contra circuits on the same side of the field).

Well, the LX Navigation PowerFlarm Eagle (a relatively new product to the market) we ordered has arrived and I can confirm it does indeed have a 3.5mm socket to directly connect an audio speaker. Next step is to see how it performs driving a radio aux
    input, I'm expecting to have to step down the voltage and possibly use an isolating transformer to eliminate risk of ground loop.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From golfsierragolf@gmail.com@21:1/5 to bumpf...@hotmail.com on Mon Nov 14 21:14:47 2022
    You're absolutely right! My new Eagle arrived and it does indeed have a speaker port. Apologies for the out of date info.

Nick.

On Friday, November 11, 2022 at 3:57:49 PM UTC+10:30, bumpf...@hotmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 7:16:37 AM UTC+8, golfsie...@gmail.com wrote:

I'm unaware of any of these devices having an audio jack, even though I see the what has been written in the installation manual. The manual appears to jump around between the Flarm Eagle and the LX Traffic Monitor. Generally it's the flarm display
    that provides the audio, and not the flarm itself - you may need to research which flarm displays can provide audio output (the LX Traffic Monitor does), or use an intermediary device such as this one : https://www.lxnavigation.com/voice-module-for-flarm/
    flarm-voice

Cheers,
    Nick.

We are exploring this because of the desire to have audio Flarm audio warnings pushed to the pilots headset, so that warnings are heard above the engine noise. We have an old OzFlarm that we modified to give headset audio and I possibly owe my life
    to the setup during a head-on near miss with a glider in the circuit (don't you love contra circuits on the same side of the field).
    Well, the LX Navigation PowerFlarm Eagle (a relatively new product to the market) we ordered has arrived and I can confirm it does indeed have a 3.5mm socket to directly connect an audio speaker. Next step is to see how it performs driving a radio aux
    input, I'm expecting to have to step down the voltage and possibly use an isolating transformer to eliminate risk of ground loop.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05