• Rebuilding Cobra Trailer Surge Brake Mechanism

From =?UTF-8?Q?John_DeRosa_OHM_=E2=84=A6@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 21 15:49:04 2022
    Has anyone rebuilt the internals of the Al-Ko surge brake mechanism on a Cobra trailer? To be clear I am not referring to the brake mechanisms at the wheels, just the mechanism inside the tongue.

I, and a friend, have noticed that our surge brakes seems to get "stuck" in the engaged position from time to time. I then need to give it a disengage pull by giving a quick jerk acceleration (or setting the manual brake and pulling forward). Yes, I
    have been lubricating it through the Zerk grease fittings.

So I think that it might needs to be taken apart, cleaned, and reassembled. Anyone seen any documentation?

Thanks, John (OHM)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Papa3@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 21 17:13:01 2022
    On Friday, October 21, 2022 at 6:49:06 PM UTC-4, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
    Has anyone rebuilt the internals of the Al-Ko surge brake mechanism on a Cobra trailer? To be clear I am not referring to the brake mechanisms at the wheels, just the mechanism inside the tongue.

I, and a friend, have noticed that our surge brakes seems to get "stuck" in the engaged position from time to time. I then need to give it a disengage pull by giving a quick jerk acceleration (or setting the manual brake and pulling forward). Yes, I

So I think that it might needs to be taken apart, cleaned, and reassembled. Anyone seen any documentation?

Thanks, John (OHM)

I replaced the guts on a Komet Trailer about 20 years ago. Similar Al-Ko arrangement. If you google "Alko parts catalogue" you'll find a number of hits such as this one. In there you'll find exploded view diagrams of some components. https://
    bpw.no/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/al-ko_hauptkatalog_06-2021_en.pdf

IIRC, for mine I had to replace the hydraulic damper (which keeps the components from slamming open and shut during braking and acceleration). The disassembly was quite straightforward once you understood the big picture. Sorry I can't be more
    detailed - it's been a while.

Erik Mann (P3)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 21 19:29:19 2022
    I have rebuilt a few Komet and AL-KO (Cobra) surge brake mechanisms. Disassembly is kind of a pain in the you-know-what, but not particularly challenging. Certainly, less complicated than your average Jaguar engine. Generally, a good cleaning of the
    built-up grease residue and then relubrication will free up the slider piston, but when there are problems, it is almost certainly the gas damper that needs to be replaced. Cobra can supply a replacement, but you need to get the data from the label on
    the damper, or, if it isn't legible, Cobra can sometimes refer to the trailer serial number and identify the proper damper. I have also occasionally been able to source a damper from the label data and find it on the internet. Good Luck.

PS. Make sure you have some old rags, hand cleaner and a reasonable supply of four-letter words available.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From BobWa43@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 22 05:34:39 2022
    On Friday, October 21, 2022 at 6:49:06 PM UTC-4, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:

Thanks, John (OHM)
    I replaced the damper on my Cobra circa 1995 trailer. My trailer has a round tongue. It was not difficult but did not really solve the problem which was a clunking sound when I applied the brake. What mine actually need was a brake adjustment. I have
    some information on the innards in pdf form which I will email you, because I can't figure out how to attach to this post.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Sat Oct 22 08:41:07 2022
    Well, I can see it in my Thunderbird RAS viewer at the bottom of the
    previous message. Can anyone else see it?

Dan
    5J

On 10/22/22 08:37, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Just seeing if I can attach a file using Thunderbird and
    eternal-september...

Dan
    5J

<Snip>  I have some information on
    the innards in pdf form which I will email you, because I can't figure
    out how to attach to this post.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom BravoMike@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 22 11:09:49 2022
    Dan - You cannot attach a file to a posting within any USENET (NNTP) groups like rec.aviation.soaring (except for groups starting with alt.binaries.xxx). This is the case even if you are reading rec.aviation.soaring via http://groups.google.com whose
    groups allow attachments. My $0.02.

John,

Really? See my above post. I can see and open Dan's attached file. Same configuration: Thunderbird and eternal-september (the latter working OK
    even in October :-) )

Tom BravoMike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom BravoMike@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Sat Oct 22 10:49:17 2022
    On 2022-10-22 09:41, Dan Marotta wrote:
    previous message.  Can anyone else see it?

Yes, the attached ADS-B In.jpg file opens correctly in my Thunderbird.

Tom BravoMike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?John_DeRosa_OHM_=E2=84=A6@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Sat Oct 22 08:51:26 2022
    On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 9:41:11 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Well, I can see it in my Thunderbird RAS viewer at the bottom of the previous message. Can anyone else see it?

Dan
    5J

Just seeing if I can attach a file using Thunderbird and eternal-september...

Dan
    5J

<Snip> I have some information on
    the innards in pdf form which I will email you, because I can't figure
    out how to attach to this post.

Dan - You cannot attach a file to a posting within any USENET (NNTP) groups like rec.aviation.soaring (except for groups starting with alt.binaries.xxx). This is the case even if you are reading rec.aviation.soaring via http://groups.google.com whose

But to further the dissemination of trailer information I have dumped all my accumulated Cobra and Al-Ko information and manuals at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/cobra. Thanks to all that recently sent some info my way. But don't forget other trailer
    information at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations/#trailerwiring and http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations/#trailerramps. Enjoy.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?John_DeRosa_OHM_=E2=84=A6@21:1/5 to Tom BravoMike on Sat Oct 22 10:20:45 2022
    On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 11:09:56 AM UTC-5, Tom BravoMike wrote:

John,

Really? See my above post. I can see and open Dan's attached file. Same configuration: Thunderbird and eternal-september (the latter working OK
    even in October :-) )

Tom BravoMike

Got me. MAYBE, all the USENET groups can now attach binary files like the alt.binaries.xxx. But "readers" like Google's implementation doesn't seem to allow attaching a file - or are able to download a file that you have attached (I looked - it ain't
    there). So move every RAS user to something like Thunderbird? The common glider pilot would probably find that a steep curve. Move to RAS_Prime? ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Whiteley@21:1/5 to Frank Whiteley on Sat Oct 22 14:04:35 2022
    On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 3:03:02 PM UTC-6, Frank Whiteley wrote:
    On 10/22/2022 8:41 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Well, I can see it in my Thunderbird RAS viewer at the bottom of the previous message. Can anyone else see it?

Dan
    5J
    Yeo
    Yep

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Whiteley@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Sat Oct 22 15:03:00 2022
    On 10/22/2022 8:41 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
    previous message.  Can anyone else see it?

Dan
    5J
    Yeo

Just seeing if I can attach a file using Thunderbird and
    eternal-september...

Dan
    5J

<Snip>  I have some information on
    the innards in pdf form which I will email you, because I can't
    figure out how to attach to this post.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chip Bearden@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 22 15:47:34 2022
    I've posted about Cobra surge brake problems before. I've done all the usual stuff (disassemble and clean, lube, replace the damper, grease the fittings, adjust the shoes with the starwheel, etc.). But only this spring--after owning the trailer for 30
    years--did I solve the problem of the brakes overheating!

My worst case was always a hard stop. The surge brake would sometimes stick in the compressed position, with the brakes actuated. Sometimes it was difficult to force it open even with hard acceleration. After it happened the first few times, I always
    pulled over to check after a hard stop. PIA, like a lot of things in soaring.

There are two stout fiber bushings in the round tongue that appeared to have swollen after getting wet over the years. These bushings are in the outer tube. The inner tube/tongue slides in them. This swelling is a known problem that's written up in
    various groups and postings. One indication that the rear bushing was swollen was the very slightly expanded round steel outer tube, like a snake swallowing an egg. One solution was to replace the bushings. But I was able to open them up by sanding/
    filing.

The front bushing is easily accessible so you can use a half-round file or grinding wheel or whatever. The rear bushing is far enough in the tube that it's more difficult. I'd tried various things but what worked this spring was taking a length of
    stainless steel tubing from a swimming pool I had removed and cutting a slit in the end of it. I slid a length of sandpaper into the slit and then wrapped it around the tubing until the total diameter was very close to the inside diameter of the bushing.
    I made a handle for the tubing sander and then cranked it many times. Perhaps because I'd tried various other approaches that removed material in an uneven fashion--and I also ground off some corrosion on the inner sliding tube that interfered with a
    good fit--it didn't take long before I was able to insert the inner tube easily. I removed the grease as best I could before this sanding operation.

When I put it all back together (not a big deal, though I benefited from having done it a few dozen times over the years) and lubed it up, everything worked perfectly on two long trips. I'm not declaring victory yet because I've been down this road so
    many times, but I'm optimistic.

I haven't read enough of the online docs to know for sure but I believe the same issue can occur with the square tube tongue, too.

One hint: when greasing the zerk fittings every year, I remove the bolt for the rear damper mount. This allows me to rotate the inner tube 360 degrees, distributing the grease evenly to all parts of the bushings. Replacing the bolt is easy; just have to
    extend or retract the sliding tongue slightly to align the holes. You'll note that the grease fittings are located at the points where the bushings are mounted, as those are where the sliding friction occurs.

Personally, I think the damper is sometimes blamed for problems with other causes. Yeah, if the trailer overuns the car with a thump and then releases with another thump under acceleration, it's probably a weak damper. Otherwise I'd look elsewhere first.
    Replacing the damper is a pain on my trailer because the front end is retained by one of the same bolts that holds the coupler to the sliding tube, with various spacers inserted. Take photos before you take it apart.

One other place to look, as others have noted, is the Bowden cables. I removed mine (at both ends) and spun them by chucking the ends in an electric drill while squirting lube into the cable housings. Then I reinstalled them on the opposite sides of the
    trailer so the "set" they had taken was reversed (one was actually slightly bent, otherwise I would have reinstalled them as is). The problem can get worse much more quickly if the rubber boot that protects the forward-facing cable where it emerges from
    the housing is damaged, allowing water to enter, so be careful. I suspect I'll have to replace them eventually but everything is working well now.

AL-KO has a lot of detailed instructions on how to set up and adjust the brakes so pay attention to them. Like a lot of things from Germany, the company seems to assume we Americans will lavish love and attention on our machines and make careful
    adjustments every few thousand kilometers; i.e., half way to a contest on the other side of the country for me. :)

Chip Bearden
    ASW 24 "JB" (1992)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charles Longley@21:1/5 to chip.b...@gmail.com on Sat Oct 22 19:13:50 2022
    On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 6:47:36 PM UTC-4, chip.b...@gmail.com wrote:
    I've posted about Cobra surge brake problems before. I've done all the usual stuff (disassemble and clean, lube, replace the damper, grease the fittings, adjust the shoes with the starwheel, etc.). But only this spring--after owning the trailer for 30
    years--did I solve the problem of the brakes overheating!

My worst case was always a hard stop. The surge brake would sometimes stick in the compressed position, with the brakes actuated. Sometimes it was difficult to force it open even with hard acceleration. After it happened the first few times, I always

There are two stout fiber bushings in the round tongue that appeared to have swollen after getting wet over the years. These bushings are in the outer tube. The inner tube/tongue slides in them. This swelling is a known problem that's written up in
    various groups and postings. One indication that the rear bushing was swollen was the very slightly expanded round steel outer tube, like a snake swallowing an egg. One solution was to replace the bushings. But I was able to open them up by sanding/
    filing.

The front bushing is easily accessible so you can use a half-round file or grinding wheel or whatever. The rear bushing is far enough in the tube that it's more difficult. I'd tried various things but what worked this spring was taking a length of
    stainless steel tubing from a swimming pool I had removed and cutting a slit in the end of it. I slid a length of sandpaper into the slit and then wrapped it around the tubing until the total diameter was very close to the inside diameter of the bushing.
    I made a handle for the tubing sander and then cranked it many times. Perhaps because I'd tried various other approaches that removed material in an uneven fashion--and I also ground off some corrosion on the inner sliding tube that interfered with a
    good fit--it didn't take long before I was able to insert the inner tube easily. I removed the grease as best I could before this sanding operation.

When I put it all back together (not a big deal, though I benefited from having done it a few dozen times over the years) and lubed it up, everything worked perfectly on two long trips. I'm not declaring victory yet because I've been down this road so
    many times, but I'm optimistic.

I haven't read enough of the online docs to know for sure but I believe the same issue can occur with the square tube tongue, too.

One hint: when greasing the zerk fittings every year, I remove the bolt for the rear damper mount. This allows me to rotate the inner tube 360 degrees, distributing the grease evenly to all parts of the bushings. Replacing the bolt is easy; just have
    to extend or retract the sliding tongue slightly to align the holes. You'll note that the grease fittings are located at the points where the bushings are mounted, as those are where the sliding friction occurs.

Personally, I think the damper is sometimes blamed for problems with other causes. Yeah, if the trailer overuns the car with a thump and then releases with another thump under acceleration, it's probably a weak damper. Otherwise I'd look elsewhere
    first. Replacing the damper is a pain on my trailer because the front end is retained by one of the same bolts that holds the coupler to the sliding tube, with various spacers inserted. Take photos before you take it apart.

One other place to look, as others have noted, is the Bowden cables. I removed mine (at both ends) and spun them by chucking the ends in an electric drill while squirting lube into the cable housings. Then I reinstalled them on the opposite sides of
    the trailer so the "set" they had taken was reversed (one was actually slightly bent, otherwise I would have reinstalled them as is). The problem can get worse much more quickly if the rubber boot that protects the forward-facing cable where it emerges
    from the housing is damaged, allowing water to enter, so be careful. I suspect I'll have to replace them eventually but everything is working well now.

AL-KO has a lot of detailed instructions on how to set up and adjust the brakes so pay attention to them. Like a lot of things from Germany, the company seems to assume we Americans will lavish love and attention on our machines and make careful
    adjustments every few thousand kilometers; i.e., half way to a contest on the other side of the country for me. :)

Chip Bearden
    ASW 24 "JB" (1992)
    I have a later model Komet trailer with a surge brake. It’s been inoperative since day one. Not really a problem except the clunk when you accelerate and decelerate. What would it take to make the tongue solid?

Charlie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to kuzi...@gmail.com on Sun Oct 23 06:38:00 2022
    On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 10:13:52 PM UTC-4, kuzi...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, October 22, 2022 at 6:47:36 PM UTC-4, chip.b...@gmail.com wrote:
    I've posted about Cobra surge brake problems before. I've done all the usual stuff (disassemble and clean, lube, replace the damper, grease the fittings, adjust the shoes with the starwheel, etc.). But only this spring--after owning the trailer for
    30 years--did I solve the problem of the brakes overheating!

filing.

When I put it all back together (not a big deal, though I benefited from having done it a few dozen times over the years) and lubed it up, everything worked perfectly on two long trips. I'm not declaring victory yet because I've been down this road
    so many times, but I'm optimistic.

One hint: when greasing the zerk fittings every year, I remove the bolt for the rear damper mount. This allows me to rotate the inner tube 360 degrees, distributing the grease evenly to all parts of the bushings. Replacing the bolt is easy; just have
    to extend or retract the sliding tongue slightly to align the holes. You'll note that the grease fittings are located at the points where the bushings are mounted, as those are where the sliding friction occurs.

Personally, I think the damper is sometimes blamed for problems with other causes. Yeah, if the trailer overuns the car with a thump and then releases with another thump under acceleration, it's probably a weak damper. Otherwise I'd look elsewhere
    first. Replacing the damper is a pain on my trailer because the front end is retained by one of the same bolts that holds the coupler to the sliding tube, with various spacers inserted. Take photos before you take it apart.

One other place to look, as others have noted, is the Bowden cables. I removed mine (at both ends) and spun them by chucking the ends in an electric drill while squirting lube into the cable housings. Then I reinstalled them on the opposite sides of
    the trailer so the "set" they had taken was reversed (one was actually slightly bent, otherwise I would have reinstalled them as is). The problem can get worse much more quickly if the rubber boot that protects the forward-facing cable where it emerges
    from the housing is damaged, allowing water to enter, so be careful. I suspect I'll have to replace them eventually but everything is working well now.

Chip Bearden
    ASW 24 "JB" (1992)
    I have a later model Komet trailer with a surge brake. It’s been inoperative since day one. Not really a problem except the clunk when you accelerate and decelerate. What would it take to make the tongue solid?

Charlie
    You could weld it in place, like my '69 Eberle🤷

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 23 06:47:17 2022
    Welding is a possibility, but there may be a gap between the piston/plunger and the housing that holds the plastic slide bushing. A bolt through the plunger is a bad idea because it will introduce a stress point that could break and set your trailer free
    to roam around on its own while you drive away with the hitch coupler. Probably the easiest method would be a steel collar that fits between the coupler and the tongue housing to eliminate the fore/aft travel of the piston. A hard link that replaces the
    damper is also an option. These are not simple fixes for anyone who does not have access to steel fabricating tools and/or a machine shop.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From GliderCZ@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Sun Oct 23 09:03:31 2022
    On Sunday, October 23, 2022 at 6:47:29 AM UTC-7, Mark Mocho wrote:
    Welding is a possibility, but there may be a gap between the piston/plunger and the housing that holds the plastic slide bushing. A bolt through the plunger is a bad idea because it will introduce a stress point that could break and set your trailer
    free to roam around on its own while you drive away with the hitch coupler. Probably the easiest method would be a steel collar that fits between the coupler and the tongue housing to eliminate the fore/aft travel of the piston. A hard link that replaces
    the damper is also an option. These are not simple fixes for anyone who does not have access to steel fabricating tools and/or a machine shop.

Mine has a piece of PVC pipe that performs the function that Mark describes. It was installed by a previous owner, so I cannot provide any advice on installation. Works fine, and my tow vehicle is heavy enough and had sufficient braking to obviate the
    need for the trailer brakes. Wouldn't necessarily recommend to an owner trying to tow with a compact car, however...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Brian Roach@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 23 11:03:11 2022
    John,
    Just now I uploaded the Alko workshop manual to googledrive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XQG1XXy5LU3DpGnGXQtrQtxTnKy4nV1E/view?usp=sharing

It's a 17 MB pdf file.

I had the same problem, my Cobra square draw bar was getting intermittently stuck compressed. I took it all apart, cleaned the (nylon?) bushings and internal draw bar, and now it works fine. Even with the workshop manual before me, I found the
    reassembly to be non-obvious because some parts just fall out when you remove the drawbar from the trailer.

Thank you for your many helpful "how-to's" you've provided over the years, I've found them to be extremely helpful.

Good luck and happy lubrication!
    Brian Roach
    MM

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chip Bearden@21:1/5 to kuzi...@gmail.com on Wed Oct 26 11:42:50 2022

Charlie

I've stopped reading RAS very often so I missed your post. It's like panning for gold: a few flakes of good info but too much work slogging through a lot of mud spewed by a small number of people who have co-opted RAS as their personal blog and
    arrogantly fancy themselves to be clever, wildly popular champions of the people. As has been said many times in the past, it's unfortunate that how certain people behave online often diverges from the admirable way they behave in person. And they
    apparently have no idea how they're perceived and talked about behind their backs around our sport. I guess that could be true for any of us, including me. But I like to think--for all of my mistakes--I've avoided the worst behaviors we still see here.
    But I digress.

I agree with Mark: a collar around the sliding piston or a solid strut to replace the damper should disable the overrun mechanism and is reversible. If you pull the sliding portion out (a 5 min. operation involving one bolt on my trailer), you could try
    inserting a short length of tubing/rod behind it (the same length as the stroke of the sliding piston/inner tube), then reassembling it. That might also prevent compressing the drawbar/tongue. I personally wouldn't do anything non-reversible (e.g.,
    welding).These surge brakes work well when everything is maintained properly and a subsequent owner may wish to retain it. Hey, anything is possible.

Define "inoperative". Clunking in both directions (compression/extension) with some braking action? Just clunking with no braking? Does the handbrake have any effect, or does it go past vertical without encountering much resistance and with little/no
    braking action? Is the long actuating rod that runs under the trailer and connects the front tongue assembly to the axle still attached at both ends? Have you checked to see if there is a damper installed inside the drawbar and secured at both ends (I've
    removed it and driven it that way a few times to check other functionality)? Have you adjusted the brakes (manual adjustment on mine using a starwheel)? Have you checked to see if the lining thickness is near zero (some backing plates have inspection
    slots you can see through without pulling a wheel, though that is the definitive way, and allows checking to see if the hardware on the backing plate is still functional--take photos before you disassemble, though!). Are the Bowden cables connected at
    both ends (at backing plates and at the splitter at the aft end of the actuating rod)? (I've driven home several times after disconnecting the Bowden cables from the rear end of the actuation rod under the trailer when the tongue kept jamming in the
    compressed position). I've had my trailer for 30 years and been aggravated numerous times, but it's been working consistently all season and, having tried everything else (see previous post here) and replaced/maintained numerous parts, I'm optimistic
    that it will be more reliable in the future. Yeah, naive of me.

One frustration is that the same problem (i.e., brakes jamming on) can be caused by a list of possible problems, and everyone has their story. Some years ago, I helped 5E diagnose and fix the problem on his Cobra. After he put all the fixes in, he went
    out on the runway and did some hard stops to make sure everything worked. Often (based on my experience), we fix what we think is the problem (e.g., disassemble, clean, lube, and reassemble) but it turns it the problem is something else. Testing is the
    only way to make sure. Or you can wait until you have to brake hard on the freeway to avoid some idiot on the way home from a contest, but be prepared to pull over in a parking lot and disconnect the actuating rod from the Bowden cables in 100F heat if
    you can't unstick the jammed surge mechanism (at least twice for me). In that case, it might be worth accelerating hard from a standing stop going up a steep hill or even blocking the trailer wheels and then easing forward to see if that extends the
    surge piston. Both of those have worked for me, but they don't solve the real problem, obviously.

Chip Bearden
    ASW 24 "JB"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charles Longley@21:1/5 to chip.b...@gmail.com on Wed Oct 26 12:51:23 2022
    On Wednesday, October 26, 2022 at 2:43:04 PM UTC-4, chip.b...@gmail.com wrote:

Charlie
    I've stopped reading RAS very often so I missed your post. It's like panning for gold: a few flakes of good info but too much work slogging through a lot of mud spewed by a small number of people who have co-opted RAS as their personal blog and
    arrogantly fancy themselves to be clever, wildly popular champions of the people. As has been said many times in the past, it's unfortunate that how certain people behave online often diverges from the admirable way they behave in person. And they
    apparently have no idea how they're perceived and talked about behind their backs around our sport. I guess that could be true for any of us, including me. But I like to think--for all of my mistakes--I've avoided the worst behaviors we still see here.
    But I digress.

I agree with Mark: a collar around the sliding piston or a solid strut to replace the damper should disable the overrun mechanism and is reversible. If you pull the sliding portion out (a 5 min. operation involving one bolt on my trailer), you could
    try inserting a short length of tubing/rod behind it (the same length as the stroke of the sliding piston/inner tube), then reassembling it. That might also prevent compressing the drawbar/tongue. I personally wouldn't do anything non-reversible (e.g.,
    welding).These surge brakes work well when everything is maintained properly and a subsequent owner may wish to retain it. Hey, anything is possible.

Define "inoperative". Clunking in both directions (compression/extension) with some braking action? Just clunking with no braking? Does the handbrake have any effect, or does it go past vertical without encountering much resistance and with little/no
    braking action? Is the long actuating rod that runs under the trailer and connects the front tongue assembly to the axle still attached at both ends? Have you checked to see if there is a damper installed inside the drawbar and secured at both ends (I've
    removed it and driven it that way a few times to check other functionality)? Have you adjusted the brakes (manual adjustment on mine using a starwheel)? Have you checked to see if the lining thickness is near zero (some backing plates have inspection
    slots you can see through without pulling a wheel, though that is the definitive way, and allows checking to see if the hardware on the backing plate is still functional--take photos before you disassemble, though!). Are the Bowden cables connected at
    both ends (at backing plates and at the splitter at the aft end of the actuating rod)? (I've driven home several times after disconnecting the Bowden cables from the rear end of the actuation rod under the trailer when the tongue kept jamming in the
    compressed position). I've had my trailer for 30 years and been aggravated numerous times, but it's been working consistently all season and, having tried everything else (see previous post here) and replaced/maintained numerous parts, I'm optimistic
    that it will be more reliable in the future. Yeah, naive of me.

One frustration is that the same problem (i.e., brakes jamming on) can be caused by a list of possible problems, and everyone has their story. Some years ago, I helped 5E diagnose and fix the problem on his Cobra. After he put all the fixes in, he went
    out on the runway and did some hard stops to make sure everything worked. Often (based on my experience), we fix what we think is the problem (e.g., disassemble, clean, lube, and reassemble) but it turns it the problem is something else. Testing is the
    only way to make sure. Or you can wait until you have to brake hard on the freeway to avoid some idiot on the way home from a contest, but be prepared to pull over in a parking lot and disconnect the actuating rod from the Bowden cables in 100F heat if
    you can't unstick the jammed surge mechanism (at least twice for me). In that case, it might be worth accelerating hard from a standing stop going up a steep hill or even blocking the trailer wheels and then easing forward to see if that extends the
    surge piston. Both of those have worked for me, but they don't solve the real problem, obviously.
    Chip Bearden
    ASW 24 "JB"
    No hand brake. The previous owner must’ve removed it. No braking/hydraulic action either direction. I am just going to put a plastic collar into it for now. I might do a rebuild later.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XUCEvGQeBSVMAWtD8

Thanks,
    Charlie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 26 13:30:27 2022
    Plastic may serve for a while, but don't be surprised if it shatters someday, leaving you in the same spot you are in right now.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05