• Check for TFR's

From Nicholas Kennedy@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 20 16:34:14 2022
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/f-16-head-butted-wayward-cessna-three-times-during-presidential-air-defense-mission/ar-AA13cvub?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=cf8f13c3e96b432fd2f08e229d0b7e4e

Seems like even the Army Pilots aren't perfect either

Nick
    T

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to nickkennedy...@gmail.com on Fri Oct 28 04:37:08 2022
    On Thursday, October 20, 2022 at 7:34:16 PM UTC-4, nickkennedy...@gmail.com wrote:
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/f-16-head-butted-wayward-cessna-three-times-during-presidential-air-defense-mission/ar-AA13cvub?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=cf8f13c3e96b432fd2f08e229d0b7e4e

Nick
    T
    This post is more important than people realize! Take yesterday as an example , I had intentions of flying a bit further west than I did and turn North until I was at the top of 2901 restricted area and thread the needle to get back home. The needle area
    is between the top of 2901 and class B Orlando, not much room for sightseeing, but after getting through that area you certainly have more room for comfort. Because of Big Brother and fast moving F-18's and 35"s the TFR has been largely expanded to cover
    areas well beyond the Restricted Area.
    When I took off yesterday the TFR area was NOT active, yet the Restricted area was HOT. I deal with this often and plan my flights outside of the restricted area. After getting West of Okeechobee I was planning to go North to Avon Park and continue as
    planned making the loop around the top of 2901 and head back East. I happen to have my phone with Foreflight and at 2.13 in the afternoon a TFR was issued and was to begin at 2.30 which gave me 17 minutes to get turned around and back East. The GPS
    indicated that I was 2000 feet away from the TFR boundary. I departed the area and when clear made a northerly track and later back hope where I once again landed back home.
    A note to all you Big Dogs out of Seminole, check the Avon Park and Winter Haven airspace before making a costly mistake. I know that you guys go up and down Hwy 27 following each other so take foreflight with you and check the TFR postings. Old Bob, The
    Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Glenn Betzoldt@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Fri Oct 28 05:32:19 2022
    On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 7:37:10 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Thursday, October 20, 2022 at 7:34:16 PM UTC-4, nickkennedy...@gmail.com wrote:

Nick
    T
    This post is more important than people realize! Take yesterday as an example , I had intentions of flying a bit further west than I did and turn North until I was at the top of 2901 restricted area and thread the needle to get back home. The needle
    area is between the top of 2901 and class B Orlando, not much room for sightseeing, but after getting through that area you certainly have more room for comfort. Because of Big Brother and fast moving F-18's and 35"s the TFR has been largely expanded to
    cover areas well beyond the Restricted Area.
    When I took off yesterday the TFR area was NOT active, yet the Restricted area was HOT. I deal with this often and plan my flights outside of the restricted area. After getting West of Okeechobee I was planning to go North to Avon Park and continue as
    planned making the loop around the top of 2901 and head back East. I happen to have my phone with Foreflight and at 2.13 in the afternoon a TFR was issued and was to begin at 2.30 which gave me 17 minutes to get turned around and back East. The GPS
    indicated that I was 2000 feet away from the TFR boundary. I departed the area and when clear made a northerly track and later back hope where I once again landed back home.
    A note to all you Big Dogs out of Seminole, check the Avon Park and Winter Haven airspace before making a costly mistake. I know that you guys go up and down Hwy 27 following each other so take foreflight with you and check the TFR postings. Old Bob,
    The Purist
    Bob I don't think your forflight is giving you correct info on TFR's ? My stuff does not show any new TFR's in that area.
    Can anybody else see them?
    GB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Glenn Betzoldt on Fri Oct 28 06:08:07 2022
    On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 8:32:22 AM UTC-4, Glenn Betzoldt wrote:

Nick
    T
    This post is more important than people realize! Take yesterday as an example , I had intentions of flying a bit further west than I did and turn North until I was at the top of 2901 restricted area and thread the needle to get back home. The needle
    area is between the top of 2901 and class B Orlando, not much room for sightseeing, but after getting through that area you certainly have more room for comfort. Because of Big Brother and fast moving F-18's and 35"s the TFR has been largely expanded to
    When I took off yesterday the TFR area was NOT active, yet the Restricted area was HOT. I deal with this often and plan my flights outside of the restricted area. After getting West of Okeechobee I was planning to go North to Avon Park and continue
    as planned making the loop around the top of 2901 and head back East. I happen to have my phone with Foreflight and at 2.13 in the afternoon a TFR was issued and was to begin at 2.30 which gave me 17 minutes to get turned around and back East. The GPS
    A note to all you Big Dogs out of Seminole, check the Avon Park and Winter Haven airspace before making a costly mistake. I know that you guys go up and down Hwy 27 following each other so take foreflight with you and check the TFR postings. Old Bob,
    The Purist
    Bob I don't think your forflight is giving you correct info on TFR's ? My stuff does not show any new TFR's in that area.
    GB
    I will send you a pic of yesterday! IT DID NOT SHOW U8NTIL AFTER 2 YESTERDAY

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Glenn Betzoldt on Fri Oct 28 06:22:03 2022
    On 10/28/2022 5:32 AM, Glenn Betzoldt wrote:

Nick
    T
    The Purist
    GB
    Neither Skyvector or the FAA SUA website (https://sua.faa.gov/sua/siteFrame.app) show a
    TFR in that area at this moment. There is no way the FAA can expect pilots to be aware of
    a TFR with only 17 minutes notice. Even in my Phoenix, with an EFIS that shows TFRs using
    ASDB info, I'd be likely to miss it. I think only an emergency could justify that, and
    military aircraft would have to sweep the area to direct aircraft out of the area, and
    then patrol the boundary to prevent aircraft from entering.
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Fri Oct 28 06:28:28 2022
    On 10/28/2022 6:08 AM, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 7:37:10 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote: ...
    The Purist
    GB

I don't know if this the same issue, but I have seen a few bogus TFRs on my Dynon Skyview
    EFIS. In those cases (at least three times), the FAA said they did not issue the TFRs that
    showed on my screen, and Dynon said Skyview gets TFR data from the same ADSB data that has
    the weather information. The bogus TFRs were not there at the beginning of the flights.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Godfrey@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Fri Oct 28 06:27:29 2022
    On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 9:08:20 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:

Nick
    T
    This post is more important than people realize! Take yesterday as an example , I had intentions of flying a bit further west than I did and turn North until I was at the top of 2901 restricted area and thread the needle to get back home. The
    needle area is between the top of 2901 and class B Orlando, not much room for sightseeing, but after getting through that area you certainly have more room for comfort. Because of Big Brother and fast moving F-18's and 35"s the TFR has been largely
    expanded to cover areas well beyond the Restricted Area.
    When I took off yesterday the TFR area was NOT active, yet the Restricted area was HOT. I deal with this often and plan my flights outside of the restricted area. After getting West of Okeechobee I was planning to go North to Avon Park and continue
    as planned making the loop around the top of 2901 and head back East. I happen to have my phone with Foreflight and at 2.13 in the afternoon a TFR was issued and was to begin at 2.30 which gave me 17 minutes to get turned around and back East. The GPS
    A note to all you Big Dogs out of Seminole, check the Avon Park and Winter Haven airspace before making a costly mistake. I know that you guys go up and down Hwy 27 following each other so take foreflight with you and check the TFR postings. Old
    Bob, The Purist
    GB
    OBTP,
    Are you refering to a TFR or and active MOA?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Glenn Betzoldt@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Fri Oct 28 07:03:16 2022
    On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 9:28:35 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    A note to all you Big Dogs out of Seminole, check the Avon Park and Winter Haven airspace before making a costly mistake. I know that you guys go up and down Hwy 27 following each other so take foreflight with you and check the TFR postings. Old
    Bob, The Purist
    GB
    I don't know if this the same issue, but I have seen a few bogus TFRs on my Dynon Skyview
    EFIS. In those cases (at least three times), the FAA said they did not issue the TFRs that
    showed on my screen, and Dynon said Skyview gets TFR data from the same ADSB data that has
    the weather information. The bogus TFRs were not there at the beginning of the flights.
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications
    Ok Bob I found it. It's not a TFR it's a MOA. that makes all the differance.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Glenn Betzoldt@21:1/5 to Glenn Betzoldt on Fri Oct 28 07:05:14 2022
    On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 10:03:18 AM UTC-4, Glenn Betzoldt wrote:
    Bob, The Purist
    GB
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications
    The FAA has finalized plans to amend special-use airspace over the Avon Park Air Force Range in central Florida.

The final rule subdivides the Lake Placid MOA into three separate areas, adds one sector above the existing Avon East MOA, and converts two MOAs to restricted areas. The changes represent a mixed bag for general aviation: On one hand, dividing the MOA
    into three will allow the military to activate only those sectors needed for a mission, leaving the other sectors open for use by the public; and there are no changes to the overall lateral dimensions of the complex. On the other hand, the new restricted
    areas and addition of an MOA will further limit GA operations in the area.

“AOPA has worked to educate the Air Force about the need for general aviation access to the Avon Park area,” said AOPA Manager of Air Traffic Services Tom Kramer. “With the subdivision of the Lake Placid MOA, GA pilots will have greater access
    through this busy airspace.”

The Lake Placid MOA will now be three MOAs: Lake Placid North, East, and West. Additional times of use will now include “other times by notam.” Avon East High MOA will be added from 14,000 feet msl up to but not including 18,000 feet msl above Avon
    East MOA. The Avon North and South MOAs will become Restricted Areas R-2901 M and N, respectively. Effective times of the Basinger and Marian MOAs will now include “other times by notam.” These changes take effect July 29 at 0901 Zulu.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Glenn Betzoldt@21:1/5 to Glenn Betzoldt on Fri Oct 28 07:59:06 2022
    On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 10:05:17 AM UTC-4, Glenn Betzoldt wrote:
    A note to all you Big Dogs out of Seminole, check the Avon Park and Winter Haven airspace before making a costly mistake. I know that you guys go up and down Hwy 27 following each other so take foreflight with you and check the TFR postings.
    Old Bob, The Purist
    GB
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    The FAA has finalized plans to amend special-use airspace over the Avon Park Air Force Range in central Florida.

The final rule subdivides the Lake Placid MOA into three separate areas, adds one sector above the existing Avon East MOA, and converts two MOAs to restricted areas. The changes represent a mixed bag for general aviation: On one hand, dividing the MOA
    into three will allow the military to activate only those sectors needed for a mission, leaving the other sectors open for use by the public; and there are no changes to the overall lateral dimensions of the complex. On the other hand, the new restricted
    areas and addition of an MOA will further limit GA operations in the area.

“AOPA has worked to educate the Air Force about the need for general aviation access to the Avon Park area,” said AOPA Manager of Air Traffic Services Tom Kramer. “With the subdivision of the Lake Placid MOA, GA pilots will have greater access

The Lake Placid MOA will now be three MOAs: Lake Placid North, East, and West. Additional times of use will now include “other times by notam.” Avon East High MOA will be added from 14,000 feet msl up to but not including 18,000 feet msl above Avon
    East MOA. The Avon North and South MOAs will become Restricted Areas R-2901 M and N, respectively. Effective times of the Basinger and Marian MOAs will now include “other times by notam.” These changes take effect July 29 at 0901 Zulu.
    OOPS this is a AOPA article from May 27, 2010

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Glenn Betzoldt on Fri Oct 28 17:47:23 2022
    On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 10:59:08 AM UTC-4, Glenn Betzoldt wrote:
    A note to all you Big Dogs out of Seminole, check the Avon Park and Winter Haven airspace before making a costly mistake. I know that you guys go up and down Hwy 27 following each other so take foreflight with you and check the TFR postings.
    Old Bob, The Purist
    GB
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

The final rule subdivides the Lake Placid MOA into three separate areas, adds one sector above the existing Avon East MOA, and converts two MOAs to restricted areas. The changes represent a mixed bag for general aviation: On one hand, dividing the
    MOA into three will allow the military to activate only those sectors needed for a mission, leaving the other sectors open for use by the public; and there are no changes to the overall lateral dimensions of the complex. On the other hand, the new
    restricted areas and addition of an MOA will further limit GA operations in the area.

The Lake Placid MOA will now be three MOAs: Lake Placid North, East, and West. Additional times of use will now include “other times by notam.” Avon East High MOA will be added from 14,000 feet msl up to but not including 18,000 feet msl above
    Avon East MOA. The Avon North and South MOAs will become Restricted Areas R-2901 M and N, respectively. Effective times of the Basinger and Marian MOAs will now include “other times by notam.” These changes take effect July 29 at 0901 Zulu.
    Well, that hasn't happened, the problem is that Foreflight treats NOTAM's the same as TFR"s and if you are flying along and paying attention in a suspect airspace the Foreflight screen will depict the MOA area as a TFR and there is no color designation
    between the TFR and the MOA. Also the MOA restricted area is extended outward of the restricted area as defined on the map. This is absolutely nuts! OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sat Oct 29 02:02:50 2022
    On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 8:47:25 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Old Bob, The Purist
    GB
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

The final rule subdivides the Lake Placid MOA into three separate areas, adds one sector above the existing Avon East MOA, and converts two MOAs to restricted areas. The changes represent a mixed bag for general aviation: On one hand, dividing the
    MOA into three will allow the military to activate only those sectors needed for a mission, leaving the other sectors open for use by the public; and there are no changes to the overall lateral dimensions of the complex. On the other hand, the new
    restricted areas and addition of an MOA will further limit GA operations in the area.

“AOPA has worked to educate the Air Force about the need for general aviation access to the Avon Park area,” said AOPA Manager of Air Traffic Services Tom Kramer. “With the subdivision of the Lake Placid MOA, GA pilots will have greater
    access through this busy airspace.”

The Lake Placid MOA will now be three MOAs: Lake Placid North, East, and West. Additional times of use will now include “other times by notam.” Avon East High MOA will be added from 14,000 feet msl up to but not including 18,000 feet msl above
    Avon East MOA. The Avon North and South MOAs will become Restricted Areas R-2901 M and N, respectively. Effective times of the Basinger and Marian MOAs will now include “other times by notam.” These changes take effect July 29 at 0901 Zulu.
    Well, that hasn't happened, the problem is that Foreflight treats NOTAM's the same as TFR"s and if you are flying along and paying attention in a suspect airspace the Foreflight screen will depict the MOA area as a TFR and there is no color designation
    between the TFR and the MOA. Also the MOA restricted area is extended outward of the restricted area as defined on the map. This is absolutely nuts! OBTP
    OBTP, it is very impure to be fondling such gadgetry in flight. Never catch me with it! Take that F-106 buzz the old-fashioned way!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to sgs...@gmail.com on Sat Oct 29 07:35:10 2022
    On Saturday, October 29, 2022 at 5:02:51 AM UTC-4, sgs...@gmail.com wrote:
    A note to all you Big Dogs out of Seminole, check the Avon Park and Winter Haven airspace before making a costly mistake. I know that you guys go up and down Hwy 27 following each other so take foreflight with you and check the TFR
    postings. Old Bob, The Purist
    GB
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

The final rule subdivides the Lake Placid MOA into three separate areas, adds one sector above the existing Avon East MOA, and converts two MOAs to restricted areas. The changes represent a mixed bag for general aviation: On one hand, dividing
    the MOA into three will allow the military to activate only those sectors needed for a mission, leaving the other sectors open for use by the public; and there are no changes to the overall lateral dimensions of the complex. On the other hand, the new

“AOPA has worked to educate the Air Force about the need for general aviation access to the Avon Park area,” said AOPA Manager of Air Traffic Services Tom Kramer. “With the subdivision of the Lake Placid MOA, GA pilots will have greater

The Lake Placid MOA will now be three MOAs: Lake Placid North, East, and West. Additional times of use will now include “other times by notam.” Avon East High MOA will be added from 14,000 feet msl up to but not including 18,000 feet msl
    above Avon East MOA. The Avon North and South MOAs will become Restricted Areas R-2901 M and N, respectively. Effective times of the Basinger and Marian MOAs will now include “other times by notam.” These changes take effect July 29 at 0901 Zulu.
    Well, that hasn't happened, the problem is that Foreflight treats NOTAM's the same as TFR"s and if you are flying along and paying attention in a suspect airspace the Foreflight screen will depict the MOA area as a TFR and there is no color
    designation between the TFR and the MOA. Also the MOA restricted area is extended outward of the restricted area as defined on the map. This is absolutely nuts! OBTP
    OBTP, it is very impure to be fondling such gadgetry in flight. Never catch me with it! Take that F-106 buzz the old-fashioned way!
    Well, back in the day it was the boys from Homestead that would buzz us in their F-4"s could see that black smoke coming from miles away and talk to them on the radio as they chuckled. Myself along with Bennie and Alfonso did a bit of testing for their
    radar systems to determine if they could identify us. Most of the time they just gave up and we had to tell them where we were. Yep, gadgetry has really dumb down this sport. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Sinclair@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sat Oct 29 08:18:55 2022
    On Saturday, October 29, 2022 at 7:35:12 AM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    A note to all you Big Dogs out of Seminole, check the Avon Park and Winter Haven airspace before making a costly mistake. I know that you guys go up and down Hwy 27 following each other so take foreflight with you and check the TFR
    GB
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

The final rule subdivides the Lake Placid MOA into three separate areas, adds one sector above the existing Avon East MOA, and converts two MOAs to restricted areas. The changes represent a mixed bag for general aviation: On one hand, dividing
    the MOA into three will allow the military to activate only those sectors needed for a mission, leaving the other sectors open for use by the public; and there are no changes to the overall lateral dimensions of the complex. On the other hand, the new

The Lake Placid MOA will now be three MOAs: Lake Placid North, East, and West. Additional times of use will now include “other times by notam.” Avon East High MOA will be added from 14,000 feet msl up to but not including 18,000 feet msl
    above Avon East MOA. The Avon North and South MOAs will become Restricted Areas R-2901 M and N, respectively. Effective times of the Basinger and Marian MOAs will now include “other times by notam.” These changes take effect July 29 at 0901 Zulu.
    Well, that hasn't happened, the problem is that Foreflight treats NOTAM's the same as TFR"s and if you are flying along and paying attention in a suspect airspace the Foreflight screen will depict the MOA area as a TFR and there is no color
    designation between the TFR and the MOA. Also the MOA restricted area is extended outward of the restricted area as defined on the map. This is absolutely nuts! OBTP
    Well, back in the day it was the boys from Homestead that would buzz us in their F-4"s could see that black smoke coming from miles away and talk to them on the radio as they chuckled. Myself along with Bennie and Alfonso did a bit of testing for their
    radar systems to determine if they could identify us. Most of the time they just gave up and we had to tell them where we were. Yep, gadgetry has really dumb down this sport. Old Bob, The Purist

It’s been close to 50 years now when I came very close to colliding with a B-52! I was flying my little home built Duster out of Minden, Nevada. I was right over Mono Lake at 16,000 feet when I spotted a big ship to my left. He looked to be on a
    collision course, but was a good 1000 feet below me. He kept getting bigger and bigger as I suddenly realized he was CLIMBING! Too late to maneuver and I wasn’t going to show him my belly and not see my demise! He passed right under me so close that I
    could see the copilot reading his checklist! I waited for the turbulence, but not even a bump! If he had passed over me, the vortex and jet thrust would have turned that little wooden ship into kindling! They never saw me!
    Later, I remembered that the little island in Mono Lake is the exit point for a low level Oil Burner route at exactly 16,000 feet………….I know this because I had flown that same route several times during my Air Force days!
    Who else has had a close encounter with heavy metal?
    JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sat Oct 29 10:01:27 2022
    Unless the rules have changed, an MOA is not restricted airspace. It's
    a military operating area and you and I have as much right to fly there
    as the military.

Having said that, I've been asked by ATC if I would mind deviating
    around a "hot" MOA and I have never declined that request. I also
    inquire as to the status of an MOA that I plan to enter or cross.

Dan
    5J

On 10/28/22 18:47, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 10:03:18 AM UTC-4, Glenn Betzoldt wrote: >>>> On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 9:28:35 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote: >>>>> On 10/28/2022 6:08 AM, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 8:32:22 AM UTC-4, Glenn Betzoldt wrote: >>>>>>> On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 7:37:10 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Bob, The Purist
    GB
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to John Sinclair on Sat Oct 29 10:07:46 2022
    I in my LS-6a climbing above Black Forest and a 757 or 767 coming out of Colorado Springs enroute to Denver. I saw a small "dot" to the south
    and, when I completed the circle, he was maneuvering to avoid me. I saw
    his belly pretty close but not close enough to hear him, I believe the altitude was around 12000' MSL.

Dan
    5J

On 10/29/22 09:18, John Sinclair wrote:
    JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Richard Pfiffner@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 29 17:44:11 2022
    JJ

I flew that route many times B52G in the mid 70s it was called OB-10 Hawthorne. We went low level 800 AGL and hit 4 simulated targets at Hawthorne and exited around Mono Lake at 16000 MSL. I am sure that is when wokeness started as the Oil Burner
    name was changed to Olive Branch.

Richard
    www.craggyaero.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Sat Oct 29 18:17:20 2022
    On Saturday, October 29, 2022 at 12:01:31 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
    as the military.

Dan
    5J
    On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 10:05:17 AM UTC-4, Glenn Betzoldt wrote: >>> On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 10:03:18 AM UTC-4, Glenn Betzoldt wrote: >>>> On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 9:28:35 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote: >>>>> On 10/28/2022 6:08 AM, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Old Bob, The Purist
    GB
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Ya, Dan - if you're IFR you are just seperated from an active MOA without discussion. If VFR in contact with ATC, they pretty much have to disown you if you're not planning to avoid it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George Haeh@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 29 20:03:17 2022
    Me and my buddy were canoeing the east shore of Lk. Superior some decades ago when we heard a rumbling similar to distant thunder. No CBs in sight and I knew there was a local military training route.

We were treated to the sight of a couple Buffs looking to inhale low level sea gulls.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to sgs...@gmail.com on Sat Oct 29 23:05:42 2022
    On Saturday, October 29, 2022 at 9:17:22 PM UTC-4, sgs...@gmail.com wrote:
    as the military.

Dan
    5J
    On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 10:05:17 AM UTC-4, Glenn Betzoldt wrote: >>> On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 10:03:18 AM UTC-4, Glenn Betzoldt wrote:
    Old Bob, The Purist
    GB
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Ya, Dan - if you're IFR you are just seperated from an active MOA without discussion. If VFR in contact with ATC, they pretty much have to disown you if you're not planning to avoid it.
    sgs, you know this better than anyone, but I was caught in a bad situation a couple years back and needed ATC help. I called Miami ctr and requested help getting through the hot restricted area. It took a minute or two and I was given a code to sq and a
    timeframe of 15 minutes to get through, in which I did. After landing I called the mission desk and was informed that that space while hot is not governed by atc Miami and they pretty much wash their hands of any IFR and VFR traffic within the restricted
    altitudes. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sun Oct 30 03:18:27 2022
    On Sunday, October 30, 2022 at 2:05:44 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    a military operating area and you and I have as much right to fly there as the military.

Having said that, I've been asked by ATC if I would mind deviating around a "hot" MOA and I have never declined that request. I also inquire as to the status of an MOA that I plan to enter or cross.

Dan
    5J
    GB
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

sgs, you know this better than anyone, but I was caught in a bad situation a couple years back and needed ATC help. I called Miami ctr and requested help getting through the hot restricted area. It took a minute or two and I was given a code to sq and
    a timeframe of 15 minutes to get through, in which I did. After landing I called the mission desk and was informed that that space while hot is not governed by atc Miami and they pretty much wash their hands of any IFR and VFR traffic within the
    restricted altitudes. OBTP
    Well that's absolutely not true of IFR traffic - they keep you out or arrange to let you in. If you're BFR they'll advisevyou to stay out, then wash their hands - unless you're in distress.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Phoenix@21:1/5 to johnsin...@yahoo.com on Sun Oct 30 05:49:54 2022
    On Saturday, October 29, 2022 at 11:18:57 AM UTC-4, johnsin...@yahoo.com wrote:
    GB
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

The final rule subdivides the Lake Placid MOA into three separate areas, adds one sector above the existing Avon East MOA, and converts two MOAs to restricted areas. The changes represent a mixed bag for general aviation: On one hand,
    dividing the MOA into three will allow the military to activate only those sectors needed for a mission, leaving the other sectors open for use by the public; and there are no changes to the overall lateral dimensions of the complex. On the other hand,
    the new restricted areas and addition of an MOA will further limit GA operations in the area.

Well, back in the day it was the boys from Homestead that would buzz us in their F-4"s could see that black smoke coming from miles away and talk to them on the radio as they chuckled. Myself along with Bennie and Alfonso did a bit of testing for
    their radar systems to determine if they could identify us. Most of the time they just gave up and we had to tell them where we were. Yep, gadgetry has really dumb down this sport. Old Bob, The Purist
    It’s been close to 50 years now when I came very close to colliding with a B-52! I was flying my little home built Duster out of Minden, Nevada. I was right over Mono Lake at 16,000 feet when I spotted a big ship to my left. He looked to be on a
    collision course, but was a good 1000 feet below me. He kept getting bigger and bigger as I suddenly realized he was CLIMBING! Too late to maneuver and I wasn’t going to show him my belly and not see my demise! He passed right under me so close that I
    could see the copilot reading his checklist! I waited for the turbulence, but not even a bump! If he had passed over me, the vortex and jet thrust would have turned that little wooden ship into kindling! They never saw me!
    Later, I remembered that the little island in Mono Lake is the exit point for a low level Oil Burner route at exactly 16,000 feet………….I know this because I had flown that same route several times during my Air Force days!
    JJ

Back in the early to mid 70's we'd be flying hang gliders above Tater Hill off of 421 north of Boone, N.C. and the B52's would be running the OB14, crossing the top of Tater and below us! What a sight!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Sun Oct 30 15:31:04 2022
    On 10/28/22 7:22 AM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    There is no way the FAA can expect pilots to be aware of a TFR
    with only 17 minutes notice. Even in my Phoenix, with an EFIS that shows
    TFRs using ASDB info, I'd be likely to miss it. I think only an
    emergency could justify that, and military aircraft would have to sweep
    the area to direct aircraft out of the area, and then patrol the
    boundary to prevent aircraft from entering.

The FAA can and does issue "effective immediately" TFR's, typically for wildfires. Compliance is your problem.

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/notams_tfr/media/tfrweb.pdf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to kinsell on Sun Oct 30 15:27:59 2022
    On 10/30/2022 2:31 PM, kinsell wrote:
    On 10/28/22 7:22 AM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    There is no way the FAA can expect pilots to be aware of a TFR with only 17 minutes
    notice. Even in my Phoenix, with an EFIS that shows TFRs using ASDB info, I'd be likely
    to miss it. I think only an emergency could justify that, and military aircraft would
    have to sweep the area to direct aircraft out of the area, and then patrol the boundary
    to prevent aircraft from entering.

The FAA can and does issue "effective immediately" TFR's, typically for wildfires.
    Compliance is your problem.

https://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/notams_tfr/media/tfrweb.pdf

Nope, it's also their problem, and the firefighters, too. They can't ensure flight safety
    with a TFR without ensuring pilots have a way to access the information. What do they do
    about aircraft already inside the TFR area when they issue the TFR, or those heading into
    the area? Your reference doesn't address these compliance issues.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sun Oct 30 17:27:45 2022
    I recall one of the Black Forest pilots attempting to return to BFSS
    from the vicinity of Canon City and he was getting low and asked for
    clearance through one of the restricted areas around Ft. Carson.
    Permission was denied so he declared an emergency. When asked the
    nature of the emergency he said, "No fuel." He was cleared. They were
    not amused when they discovered he was flying a glider.

Oh, IIRC the restricted area was an artillery range. I'd hate to fly
    through there at the wrong time!

Dan
    5J

On 10/30/22 00:05, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    as the military.

Dan
    5J
    On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 10:59:08 AM UTC-4, Glenn Betzoldt wrote: >>>>> On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 10:05:17 AM UTC-4, Glenn Betzoldt wrote: >>>>>> On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 10:03:18 AM UTC-4, Glenn Betzoldt wrote: >>>>>>> On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 9:28:35 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote: >>>>>>>> On 10/28/2022 6:08 AM, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Old Bob, The Purist
    GB
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

sgs, you know this better than anyone, but I was caught in a bad situation a couple years back and needed ATC help. I called Miami ctr and requested help getting through the hot restricted area. It took a minute or two and I was given a code to sq and
    a timeframe of 15 minutes to get through, in which I did. After landing I called the mission desk and was informed that that space while hot is not governed by atc Miami and they pretty much wash their hands of any IFR and VFR traffic within the

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Sinclair@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Mon Oct 31 07:35:20 2022
    On Sunday, October 30, 2022 at 4:27:50 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
    from the vicinity of Canon City and he was getting low and asked for clearance through one of the restricted areas around Ft. Carson.
    Permission was denied so he declared an emergency. When asked the

Oh, IIRC the restricted area was an artillery range. I'd hate to fly
    through there at the wrong time!

Dan
    5J
    On Saturday, October 29, 2022 at 12:01:31 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote: >>> Unless the rules have changed, an MOA is not restricted airspace. It's >>> a military operating area and you and I have as much right to fly there >>> as the military.

Dan
    5J
    On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 10:59:08 AM UTC-4, Glenn Betzoldt wrote: >>>>> On Friday, October 28, 2022 at 10:05:17 AM UTC-4, Glenn Betzoldt wrote:
    Old Bob, The Purist
    GB
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

sgs, you know this better than anyone, but I was caught in a bad situation a couple years back and needed ATC help. I called Miami ctr and requested help getting through the hot restricted area. It took a minute or two and I was given a code to sq
    and a timeframe of 15 minutes to get through, in which I did. After landing I called the mission desk and was informed that that space while hot is not governed by atc Miami and they pretty much wash their hands of any IFR and VFR traffic within the

The restricted area north of Cal City was always listed as active, but Navy controllers would sometimes tell glider pilots if the range was hot or not………..we took that to mean we could safely use the western ridge located inside the restricted area!
    JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to johnsin...@yahoo.com on Mon Oct 31 09:35:34 2022
    On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 10:35:22 AM UTC-4, johnsin...@yahoo.com wrote:
    On Sunday, October 30, 2022 at 4:27:50 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
    from the vicinity of Canon City and he was getting low and asked for clearance through one of the restricted areas around Ft. Carson. Permission was denied so he declared an emergency. When asked the

Oh, IIRC the restricted area was an artillery range. I'd hate to fly through there at the wrong time!

Dan
    5J
    On Saturday, October 29, 2022 at 12:01:31 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote: >>> Unless the rules have changed, an MOA is not restricted airspace. It's >>> a military operating area and you and I have as much right to fly there
    as the military.

Dan
    5J
    GB
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

sgs, you know this better than anyone, but I was caught in a bad situation a couple years back and needed ATC help. I called Miami ctr and requested help getting through the hot restricted area. It took a minute or two and I was given a code to sq
    and a timeframe of 15 minutes to get through, in which I did. After landing I called the mission desk and was informed that that space while hot is not governed by atc Miami and they pretty much wash their hands of any IFR and VFR traffic within the
    The restricted area north of Cal City was always listed as active, but Navy controllers would sometimes tell glider pilots if the range was hot or not………..we took that to mean we could safely use the western ridge located inside the restricted
    area!
    JJ
    That is pretty much the case with 2901, yesterday I contacted the Mission Desk and confirmed that the range was cold prior to making my flight. If there were a better way to allow us entry when the area was cold would work well, I guess that would be
    asking for too much. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Mon Oct 31 10:40:03 2022
    On 10/31/2022 9:35 AM, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    The restricted area north of Cal City was always listed as active, but Navy controllers would sometimes tell glider pilots if the range was hot or not………..we took that to mean we could safely use the western ridge located inside the restricted
    area!
    JJ
    That is pretty much the case with 2901, yesterday I contacted the Mission Desk and confirmed that the range was cold prior to making my flight. If there were a better way to allow us entry when the area was cold would work well, I guess that would be

You can check the status using this website:

https://sua.faa.gov/sua/siteFrame.app

At some places, you can contact the controlling agency (like at Ely - "Clover Control") in
    flight. It might be cold, or they might allow you through a portion of it, even if it's hot.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Sinclair@21:1/5 to sgs...@gmail.com on Mon Oct 31 14:01:22 2022
    On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 1:20:17 PM UTC-7, sgs...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 12:40:08 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    sgs, you know this better than anyone, but I was caught in a bad situation a couple years back and needed ATC help. I called Miami ctr and requested help getting through the hot restricted area. It took a minute or two and I was given a code to
    sq and a timeframe of 15 minutes to get through, in which I did. After landing I called the mission desk and was informed that that space while hot is not governed by atc Miami and they pretty much wash their hands of any IFR and VFR traffic within the
    The restricted area north of Cal City was always listed as active, but Navy controllers would sometimes tell glider pilots if the range was hot or not………..we took that to mean we could safely use the western ridge located inside the
    restricted area!
    JJ
    That is pretty much the case with 2901, yesterday I contacted the Mission Desk and confirmed that the range was cold prior to making my flight. If there were a better way to allow us entry when the area was cold would work well, I guess that would
    be asking for too much. Old Bob, The Purist

At some places, you can contact the controlling agency (like at Ely - "Clover Control") in
    flight. It might be cold, or they might allow you through a portion of it, even if it's hot.
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    Hey Bob, I thought you had a system down for this. Mission desk should be able to tell you which frequency you can call on to check the real-time status vs. whatever your transit scheme is. Of course, if they tell you it's going hot at XX:XX and you
    don't clear in time there's likely to be some hullabaloo. By the way, a landout in the actual AGR would piss off somebody and-uh look out for the UXO!

Back in the late ‘60’s there was a soaring pilot that had a thick German accent who got lost somewhere north of LosVegas. He ended up landing on a dry lake that was used in testing A bombs! They thought they had a spy for sure!
    A German that had two spy cameras attached to his canopy!!!
    They interrogated him for a solid week and didn’t return his German Spy ship (H-301 Libelle) for another month!
    I talked to him 10 years later and he was still too upset to even talk about it!
    JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Mon Oct 31 13:20:14 2022
    area!
    JJ

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    Hey Bob, I thought you had a system down for this. Mission desk should be able to tell you which frequency you can call on to check the real-time status vs. whatever your transit scheme is. Of course, if they tell you it's going hot at XX:XX and you don'
    t clear in time there's likely to be some hullabaloo. By the way, a landout in the actual AGR would piss off somebody and-uh look out for the UXO!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to johnsin...@yahoo.com on Mon Oct 31 17:40:14 2022
    On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 5:01:24 PM UTC-4, johnsin...@yahoo.com wrote:
    sgs, you know this better than anyone, but I was caught in a bad situation a couple years back and needed ATC help. I called Miami ctr and requested help getting through the hot restricted area. It took a minute or two and I was given a code
    to sq and a timeframe of 15 minutes to get through, in which I did. After landing I called the mission desk and was informed that that space while hot is not governed by atc Miami and they pretty much wash their hands of any IFR and VFR traffic within
    the restricted altitudes. OBTP
    The restricted area north of Cal City was always listed as active, but Navy controllers would sometimes tell glider pilots if the range was hot or not………..we took that to mean we could safely use the western ridge located inside the
    restricted area!
    JJ
    That is pretty much the case with 2901, yesterday I contacted the Mission Desk and confirmed that the range was cold prior to making my flight. If there were a better way to allow us entry when the area was cold would work well, I guess that
    would be asking for too much. Old Bob, The Purist

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    Hey Bob, I thought you had a system down for this. Mission desk should be able to tell you which frequency you can call on to check the real-time status vs. whatever your transit scheme is. Of course, if they tell you it's going hot at XX:XX and you
    don't clear in time there's likely to be some hullabaloo. By the way, a landout in the actual AGR would piss off somebody and-uh look out for the UXO!
    Back in the late ‘60’s there was a soaring pilot that had a thick German accent who got lost somewhere north of LosVegas. He ended up landing on a dry lake that was used in testing A bombs! They thought they had a spy for sure!
    They interrogated him for a solid week and didn’t return his German Spy ship (H-301 Libelle) for another month!
    I talked to him 10 years later and he was still too upset to even talk about it!
    JJ

Wow, in 1960 Dick Schreder was in a sailplane competition in West Germany and accidentally strayed across the border into East Germany. He and his sailplane were released and returned to the West in 24 hours. The commies didn't make a big deal out of
    it apparently.

Walt Connelly

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Tue Nov 1 03:16:08 2022
    On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 7:40:17 PM UTC-5, waltco...@aol.com wrote:
    On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 5:01:24 PM UTC-4, johnsin...@yahoo.com wrote:
    sgs, you know this better than anyone, but I was caught in a bad situation a couple years back and needed ATC help. I called Miami ctr and requested help getting through the hot restricted area. It took a minute or two and I was given a code
    to sq and a timeframe of 15 minutes to get through, in which I did. After landing I called the mission desk and was informed that that space while hot is not governed by atc Miami and they pretty much wash their hands of any IFR and VFR traffic within
    the restricted altitudes. OBTP
    restricted area!
    JJ
    That is pretty much the case with 2901, yesterday I contacted the Mission Desk and confirmed that the range was cold prior to making my flight. If there were a better way to allow us entry when the area was cold would work well, I guess that
    would be asking for too much. Old Bob, The Purist

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    Hey Bob, I thought you had a system down for this. Mission desk should be able to tell you which frequency you can call on to check the real-time status vs. whatever your transit scheme is. Of course, if they tell you it's going hot at XX:XX and
    you don't clear in time there's likely to be some hullabaloo. By the way, a landout in the actual AGR would piss off somebody and-uh look out for the UXO!
    JJ
    Wow, in 1960 Dick Schreder was in a sailplane competition in West Germany and accidentally strayed across the border into East Germany. He and his sailplane were released and returned to the West in 24 hours. The commies didn't make a big deal out of
    it apparently.

Walt Connelly
    KO landed at the Pratt & Whitney strip NW of PBI on a Sunday not very long after 9/11. Didn't dump his ballast, didn't have his wallet!! Not exactly area 51 but they do defence work there. Guards were very not-happy to have a bearded guy with an accent
    and no ID dripping stuff all over the place. Yeah, sure, it's just water, buddy...took a few hours to settle things but QuiQue is still laughing about it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 1 05:12:19 2022

This is a very handy website. Does anybody know if there is a corresponding app for the Android phone?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to sgs...@gmail.com on Tue Nov 1 04:49:51 2022
    On Monday, October 31, 2022 at 4:20:17 PM UTC-4, sgs...@gmail.com wrote:
    sgs, you know this better than anyone, but I was caught in a bad situation a couple years back and needed ATC help. I called Miami ctr and requested help getting through the hot restricted area. It took a minute or two and I was given a code to
    sq and a timeframe of 15 minutes to get through, in which I did. After landing I called the mission desk and was informed that that space while hot is not governed by atc Miami and they pretty much wash their hands of any IFR and VFR traffic within the
    restricted area!
    JJ
    That is pretty much the case with 2901, yesterday I contacted the Mission Desk and confirmed that the range was cold prior to making my flight. If there were a better way to allow us entry when the area was cold would work well, I guess that would
    be asking for too much. Old Bob, The Purist

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    Hey T, I do have a great system for this and very time I call they tell me to say hello to you! My system works great and as you know that forbidden area can and will become hot on a moments notice. If you ever head out to Hwy60 at the Frostproof exit,
    those jockey's skim the tree tops headed for their ground targets on the practice strip and then pull like a gorilla getting up and out. I can assure you that you DO NOT want to be there when the area is hot. Us glider pilots are under too much scrutiny,
    primarily because of NMAC's and some yo yo's violating class B over in Tampa during a certain March timeline. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Tue Nov 1 07:44:10 2022
    On 11/1/2022 5:12 AM, Mark Mocho wrote:

This is a very handy website. Does anybody know if there is a corresponding app for the Android phone?

It's supposed to work in the Chrome browser, but it doesn't on my Galaxy S8. It does work
    in Safari on my iPhone 6. Here's the claim, and maybe you'd want to contact them:

https://sua.faa.gov/sua/SUA_Release_Notes.pdf

"The Special Use Airspace (SUA) Website provides a source to review airspace schedule and
    temporary flight restriction (TFR) notice to airmen (NOTAM) data for flight planning purposes.

The site offers a consistent look and feel, enhanced design, and improved functionality
    implemented from approved SUA requirements.

Customer support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by phone at 1-866-466-1336 or
    email 7-AWA-NAIMES@faa.gov.

Comments and enhancements are welcomed from the communities of interest. A list of known
    issues has been included in this document and will be updated as successive releases are
    installed.

Browser Requirements
    The application framework supports a minimum of Internet Explorer (IE) 11 and Google
    Chrome browsers."

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Tue Nov 1 08:43:09 2022
    On 11/1/2022 7:44 AM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On 11/1/2022 5:12 AM, Mark Mocho wrote:

This is a very handy website. Does anybody know if there is a corresponding app for the
    Android phone?

It's supposed to work in the Chrome browser, but it doesn't on my Galaxy S8. It does work
    in Safari on my iPhone 6. Here's the claim, and maybe you'd want to contact them:

https://sua.faa.gov/sua/SUA_Release_Notes.pdf

"The Special Use Airspace (SUA) Website provides a source to review airspace schedule and
    temporary flight restriction (TFR) notice to airmen (NOTAM) data for flight planning
    purposes.

The site offers a consistent look and feel, enhanced design, and improved functionality
    implemented from approved SUA requirements.

Customer support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by phone at 1-866-466-1336 or
    email 7-AWA-NAIMES@faa.gov.

Comments and enhancements are welcomed from the communities of interest. A list of known
    issues has been included in this document and will be updated as successive releases are
    installed.

Browser Requirements
    The application framework supports a minimum of Internet Explorer (IE) 11 and Google
    Chrome browsers."

Correction: the site does open in Safari on an iPhone 6, but the interface doesn't work
    well, so it's tedious to use. It doesn't even open in Chrome; possibly, a newer iPhone
    would work, as my phone can't use the iOS update of the last several years.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Tue Nov 1 11:05:15 2022
    On 11/1/2022 10:34 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Skyvector.com on Brave works on my Galaxy S10e and shows the upcoming TFR around ABQ.

Dan
    5J

On 11/1/22 06:12, Mark Mocho wrote:

This is a very handy website. Does anybody know if there is a corresponding app for the
    Android phone?

That's better than nothing (and I sometimes use it for TFRs), but it doesn't show the
    status of the Restricted Areas or MOAs. Those are the main things I get from the FAA site,
    as digging it out of the NOTAMs is difficult
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Tue Nov 1 11:34:46 2022
    Skyvector.com on Brave works on my Galaxy S10e and shows the upcoming
    TFR around ABQ.

Dan
    5J

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Tue Nov 1 12:32:14 2022
    Simple enough to call ABQ Center (ZAB) and ask the status. Or, since I
    have ADS-B IN in my glider, I could carry along my iPad though it's not
    very tolerant of heat or cold. OR I could call up Avare on my Andriod
    phone and connect it to my ADS-B.

Fortunately, most of the Restricted Areas in NM are in the southern part
    of the state and most or our flying is in the northern part.

Dan
    5J

On 11/1/22 12:05, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On 11/1/2022 10:34 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Skyvector.com on Brave works on my Galaxy S10e and shows the upcoming
    TFR around ABQ.

Dan
    5J

This is a very handy website. Does anybody know if there is a
    corresponding app for the Android phone?

That's better than nothing (and I sometimes use it for TFRs), but it
    doesn't show the status of the Restricted Areas or MOAs. Those are the
    main things I get from the FAA site, as digging it out of the NOTAMs is difficult

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AS@21:1/5 to johnsin...@yahoo.com on Thu Nov 3 10:22:21 2022
    On Saturday, October 29, 2022 at 10:18:57 AM UTC-5, johnsin...@yahoo.com wrote:
    GB
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

The final rule subdivides the Lake Placid MOA into three separate areas, adds one sector above the existing Avon East MOA, and converts two MOAs to restricted areas. The changes represent a mixed bag for general aviation: On one hand,
    dividing the MOA into three will allow the military to activate only those sectors needed for a mission, leaving the other sectors open for use by the public; and there are no changes to the overall lateral dimensions of the complex. On the other hand,
    the new restricted areas and addition of an MOA will further limit GA operations in the area.

Well, back in the day it was the boys from Homestead that would buzz us in their F-4"s could see that black smoke coming from miles away and talk to them on the radio as they chuckled. Myself along with Bennie and Alfonso did a bit of testing for
    their radar systems to determine if they could identify us. Most of the time they just gave up and we had to tell them where we were. Yep, gadgetry has really dumb down this sport. Old Bob, The Purist
    JJ

I had a Lockheed Star Fighter do a barrel roll next to me at the same altitude while I was doing a winch launch in a Ka8. He came from behind and I could hear him but couldn't locate him. I think what saved my bacon was showing the full silhouette of the
    glider in a 45* climb. He was so close that I could see the segments of his jet nozzle and smell the exhaust gas. We had a low-level link route to the north of our field a couple of miles out, which was used by all NATO air forces but this guy may have
    taken the scenic route.

Uli
    'AS'

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05