• Wanted ASG29 Pure Glider

From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 14 12:41:38 2022
    Looking for an ASG29 pure glider in excellent condition, not for me, but my wife. She might let me fly it at times, I was planning to buy her a newer glider for Xmas, and considered a sustainer, but she told me that she would rather have a pure glider. I
    know she is a bit old, but can handle any glider she flies, I don't think she would find it too slippery. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Fri Oct 14 16:42:36 2022
    On 10/14/2022 12:41 PM, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Looking for an ASG29 pure glider in excellent condition, not for me, but my wife. She might let me fly it at times, I was planning to buy her a newer glider for Xmas, and considered a sustainer, but she told me that she would rather have a pure glider.
    I know she is a bit old, but can handle any glider she flies, I don't think she would find it too slippery. Old Bob, The Purist

The ASG29 is a superb glider, and she will think it's a magic carpet, compared to the
    ASW24 (or even the ASW27, also a superb glider), and it can have an FES added to it later,
    if a sustainer (or self-launch without water) is desired. My experience in FES gliders is
    very limited, but operation sure seemed easy on the two I flew.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roy B.@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 14 20:44:04 2022
    Bob:
    I sent you a private email.
    ROY

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Roy B. on Sat Oct 15 04:49:48 2022
    On Friday, October 14, 2022 at 11:44:06 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
    Bob:
    ROY
    Got it

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From john firth@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sat Oct 15 07:28:02 2022
    On Saturday, October 15, 2022 at 7:49:50 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Bob:
    ROY
    Got it
    A really pure glider will only have a bungee hook./
    JMF

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to john firth on Sat Oct 15 09:15:01 2022
    On 10/15/2022 7:28 AM, john firth wrote:
    Bob:
    ROY
    Got it
    JMF
    I've read that bungee launching can provide self-launching: the pilot hooks the tail to a
    sturdy post on the top of the hill; he stretches the bungee ends with a vehicle; once
    ready in the cockpit, he pulls the release cord for the tail hook, and WHOOOSH he is
    lofted off the ground and begins ridge soaring.

Even more exciting is to stretch the bungee using a horse. The exciting part occurs when
    the bungee breaks, snaps back at the horse, and the horse reacts as you'd expect. Still,
    using a horse does seem pure compared to using a car.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Sat Oct 15 16:57:13 2022
    On 10/15/2022 9:15 AM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    Bob:
    ROY
    Got it
    A really pure glider will only have  a bungee hook./
    JMF
    I've read that bungee launching can provide self-launching: the pilot hooks the tail to a
    sturdy post on the top of the hill; he stretches the bungee ends with a vehicle; once
    ready in the cockpit, he pulls the release cord for the tail hook, and WHOOOSH he is

Even more exciting is to stretch the bungee using a horse. The exciting part occurs when
    the bungee breaks, snaps back at the horse, and the horse reacts as you'd expect. Still,

A bungee break was often called the "dreaded bungee-bang"; fortunately, the gliders of 60
    and 70 years ago didn't weigh as much or fly as fast as now, so the amount of bungee
    required was small enough that bungee-bang injuries weren't so bad. By comparison, after
    Rudy Allemann and I calculated (in 1985 or so) the amount of bungee needed to launch our
    ASW20's off the local slope-soaring hill, we decided a bungee break was almost certainly
    lethal, and gave up on the idea.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Sat Oct 15 16:29:20 2022
    On Saturday, October 15, 2022 at 12:15:02 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    Bob:
    ROY
    Got it
    JMF

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

It's only really pure if the pilot stretches the bungee him(or her) self. Everything else has varying degrees of impurity.
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charles Longley@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Sat Oct 15 18:54:07 2022
    On Saturday, October 15, 2022 at 5:57:18 PM UTC-6, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On 10/15/2022 9:15 AM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    Bob:
    ROY
    Got it
    JMF

A bungee break was often called the "dreaded bungee-bang"; fortunately, the gliders of 60
    and 70 years ago didn't weigh as much or fly as fast as now, so the amount of bungee
    required was small enough that bungee-bang injuries weren't so bad. By comparison, after
    Rudy Allemann and I calculated (in 1985 or so) the amount of bungee needed to launch our
    ASW20's off the local slope-soaring hill, we decided a bungee break was almost certainly
    lethal, and gave up on the idea.
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications
    One of the Canadians during Region 8 mentioned he was selling his 29. I’ll try an figure out who it was and text you the info. Only downside is he only had the 18 meter tips.

Charlie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jfitch@21:1/5 to Hank Nixon on Sun Oct 16 09:15:39 2022
    Hang gliders are "pure" gliders, at least when not using a winch launch. Run off a hill and fly. Especially so if you hiked up the hill with the thing on your shoulder, as we used to do. Sailplanes in all their forms require expenditure of fossil fuels
    to launch and retrieve. Whether you put the gas in the glider, the Pawnee, or the charging generator is a minor detail.
    On Saturday, October 15, 2022 at 4:29:22 PM UTC-7, Hank Nixon wrote:
    Bob:
    ROY
    Got it
    JMF

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    It's only really pure if the pilot stretches the bungee him(or her) self. Everything else has varying degrees of impurity.
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Sinclair@21:1/5 to jfitch on Sun Oct 16 14:56:11 2022
    On Sunday, October 16, 2022 at 9:15:41 AM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
    Hang gliders are "pure" gliders, at least when not using a winch launch. Run off a hill and fly. Especially so if you hiked up the hill with the thing on your shoulder, as we used to do. Sailplanes in all their forms require expenditure of fossil fuels
    to launch and retrieve. Whether you put the gas in the glider, the Pawnee, or the charging generator is a minor detail.
    Bob:
    ROY
    Got it
    JMF

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    UH,

I tried that, “ I’m going to buy a new sailplane for you honey”………She just said, “ I’ll take the cash” !
    😁 JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to johnsin...@yahoo.com on Sun Oct 16 15:26:00 2022
    On Sunday, October 16, 2022 at 5:56:13 PM UTC-4, johnsin...@yahoo.com wrote:
    Hang gliders are "pure" gliders, at least when not using a winch launch. Run off a hill and fly. Especially so if you hiked up the hill with the thing on your shoulder, as we used to do. Sailplanes in all their forms require expenditure of fossil
    fuels to launch and retrieve. Whether you put the gas in the glider, the Pawnee, or the charging generator is a minor detail.
    Bob:
    ROY
    Got it
    JMF

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    It's only really pure if the pilot stretches the bungee him(or her) self.
    Everything else has varying degrees of impurity.
    UH,

I tried that, “ I’m going to buy a new sailplane for you honey”………She just said, “ I’ll take the cash” !
    😁 JJ
    JJ you just ruined my day!!! She knows about the boat, tried to hide it the best I could, but it is difficult to keep that Freeman under covers. She said, "I could have bought two new gliders for what you paid for that damn boat"! Settle down honey, I
    will try and find you a used glider. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sun Oct 16 17:41:00 2022
    On Sunday, October 16, 2022 at 3:26:02 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hang gliders are "pure" gliders, at least when not using a winch launch. Run off a hill and fly. Especially so if you hiked up the hill with the thing on your shoulder, as we used to do. Sailplanes in all their forms require expenditure of fossil
    fuels to launch and retrieve. Whether you put the gas in the glider, the Pawnee, or the charging generator is a minor detail.
    On Friday, October 14, 2022 at 11:44:06 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote: >>> Bob:
    ROY
    Got it
    JMF

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    UH,

😁 JJ
    JJ you just ruined my day!!! She knows about the boat, tried to hide it the best I could, but it is difficult to keep that Freeman under covers. She said, "I could have bought two new gliders for what you paid for that damn boat"! Settle down honey, I
    will try and find you a used glider. Old Bob, The Purist

Why waste the money for the mediocre flights the two of you do? Save your money and fly what you already own. You're welcome.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 16 19:18:39 2022
    On Sunday, October 16, 2022 at 8:41:02 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
    ROY
    Got it
    JMF

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    UH,

😁 JJ
    JJ you just ruined my day!!! She knows about the boat, tried to hide it the best I could, but it is difficult to keep that Freeman under covers. She said, "I could have bought two new gliders for what you paid for that damn boat"! Settle down honey,
    I will try and find you a used glider. Old Bob, The Purist
    Why waste the money for the mediocre flights the two of you do? Save your money and fly what you already own. You're welcome.

Tom
    What a nut job, DH is crazier than a pet raccoon. Now you want to attack an innocent nice old lady. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matthew Scutter@21:1/5 to jfitch on Mon Oct 17 04:57:23 2022
    On Monday, October 17, 2022 at 2:15:41 AM UTC+10, jfitch wrote:
    Bob:
    ROY
    Got it
    JMF

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    UH

If you charged your electric glider only from solar, is that any different from taking a thermal? Just another way of capturing solar power.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Mon Oct 17 22:06:56 2022
    On Sunday, October 16, 2022 at 7:18:41 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hang gliders are "pure" gliders, at least when not using a winch launch. Run off a hill and fly. Especially so if you hiked up the hill with the thing on your shoulder, as we used to do. Sailplanes in all their forms require expenditure of
    fossil fuels to launch and retrieve. Whether you put the gas in the glider, the Pawnee, or the charging generator is a minor detail.
    Bob:
    ROY
    Got it
    JMF

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    UH,

😁 JJ
    JJ you just ruined my day!!! She knows about the boat, tried to hide it the best I could, but it is difficult to keep that Freeman under covers. She said, "I could have bought two new gliders for what you paid for that damn boat"! Settle down honey,
    I will try and find you a used glider. Old Bob, The Purist

Tom
    What a nut job, DH is crazier than a pet raccoon. Now you want to attack an innocent nice old lady. Old Bob, The Purist

Hey PottyMouth, I am doing the both of you a favor. You're welcome.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 18 00:40:44 2022
    On Tuesday, October 18, 2022 at 1:06:58 AM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
    Hang gliders are "pure" gliders, at least when not using a winch launch. Run off a hill and fly. Especially so if you hiked up the hill with the thing on your shoulder, as we used to do. Sailplanes in all their forms require expenditure of
    fossil fuels to launch and retrieve. Whether you put the gas in the glider, the Pawnee, or the charging generator is a minor detail.
    Bob:
    ROY
    Got it
    JMF

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    UH,

😁 JJ
    JJ you just ruined my day!!! She knows about the boat, tried to hide it the best I could, but it is difficult to keep that Freeman under covers. She said, "I could have bought two new gliders for what you paid for that damn boat"! Settle down
    honey, I will try and find you a used glider. Old Bob, The Purist

Tom
    Get help , you need medication! OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jfitch@21:1/5 to Matthew Scutter on Tue Oct 18 09:06:58 2022
    You'd have no objection then, to me surfacing the wings with solar panels and running a small propulsion motor throughout a nationals contest? No different than taking a thermal.....
    On Monday, October 17, 2022 at 4:57:25 AM UTC-7, Matthew Scutter wrote:
    Bob:
    ROY
    Got it
    JMF

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    UH
    If you charged your electric glider only from solar, is that any different from taking a thermal? Just another way of capturing solar power.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to jfitch on Tue Oct 18 14:04:35 2022
    On Tuesday, October 18, 2022 at 12:07:00 PM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:
    You'd have no objection then, to me surfacing the wings with solar panels and running a small propulsion motor throughout a nationals contest? No different than taking a thermal.....
    ROY
    Got it
    JMF

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    UH
    You probably will rig a way where the recorder will not pick up the motor start, Now your talking Motorglider!! Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Tue Oct 18 18:07:46 2022
    On Tuesday, October 18, 2022 at 2:04:37 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, October 18, 2022 at 12:07:00 PM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:
    ROY
    Got it
    JMF

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    UH
    You probably will rig a way where the recorder will not pick up the motor start, Now your talking Motorglider!! Old Bob, The Purist

PottyMouth is so used to cheating that he naturally assumes that EVERYONE ELSE cheats like he does. A current sensor on the battery CAN'T be fooled, Fool.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Tue Oct 18 18:05:44 2022
    On Tuesday, October 18, 2022 at 12:40:46 AM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, October 18, 2022 at 1:06:58 AM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
    Bob:
    ROY
    Got it
    JMF

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    UH,

😁 JJ
    JJ you just ruined my day!!! She knows about the boat, tried to hide it the best I could, but it is difficult to keep that Freeman under covers. She said, "I could have bought two new gliders for what you paid for that damn boat"! Settle down
    honey, I will try and find you a used glider. Old Bob, The Purist

Tom
    Get help , you need medication! OBTP

Sorry, PottyMouth, but spending $200k on a glider that won't make any difference to the flights she will do IS the definition of insanity.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05