• OGN receiver deployment in the US - Looking for Help

From Davis Chappins@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 1 19:58:40 2022
    RAS,
    Please distribute the following to any and all groups, message boards, clubs, or individuals who may be interested in installing OGN receivers at their soaring operations.

The SSA has allocated funds to help install 150 OGN receivers across the US. This will create a robust network of real-time glider tracking ground stations that track FLARM or OGN tracker equipped aircraft (similar to ADSB ground stations for transponder
    equipped aircraft).

Some benefits include:
    - Real-time tracking – viewership and interest/engagement in the sport
    - Racing real-time scoring – viewership and interest in racing (coming soon) - Ability to create and score local contests
    - SAR – far more precise than satellite trackers
    - Clubs and commercial operators can locate all gliders at the end of the day
    - Club management (e.g. auto-logging of tow flights and tow heights, club/rental
    ship activity - with the help of low cost OGN trackers ($60) for aircraft lacking Flarm) -
    https://flightbook.glidernet.org/logbook/E68/2022-04-08)

An OGN receiver consumes about 2W of power (less than a LED lightbulb) and
    uses 2mb of bandwidth a day (less than 30 seconds of netflix). Suitable installation locations require internet (it can be slow) and power.

Current OGN receiver coverage can be found here https://ognrange.glidernet.org/?#,max,all,34.27084_-114.18640,8,#ff0e0eff:#0aff0aff, (very slow site, don’t zoom out) Europe has 1,450 OGN receivers, the US has 35.

Under this proposal, up to two receivers will be provided at a 100% discount and an additional two receivers at a 50% discount, per site. A site is defined as a glider airfield from a pre-existing list that have significant glider activity or have hosted
    contests on a regular basis. The idea is to provide excellent coverage at home airfields and additional coverage in task areas so as to maximize the benefits of tracking to the most pilots possible. Each OGN receiver covers a radius of roughly 40 miles.
    If your site already has OGN receivers installed the proposal still applies to you - use it to expand your coverage areas. However, sites with zero tracking may be prioritized.

We are looking for site focals who can be a point of contact to install and manage these receivers. A site focal is the person responsible for the installation and upkeep (minor) of the OGN receivers in their area. Ideally, focals will be local experts
    who are knowledgeable about the local soaring area, have some knowledge of computers (like Raspberry Pi or linux) and can perform basic handyman tasks like mounting an antenna and routing a coax cable.

Deployment options range from the site focal following a guide, purchasing everything, assembling and installing (DIY from a guide)… down to Davis shipping the site focal an assembled and configured device ready to be powered on and connected to the
    antenna (plug and play). Due to the cost of and difficulty locating raspberry pis at this time the OGN receiver reimbursement cap will be raised to $400 per receiver. Installations must come online and receive aircraft signals to be eligible for
    reimbursement. You must fill out the form and be a site focal to be eligible for reimbursement.

This is a very small amount of work and you will be the OGN receiver expert for your area. If you are interested please fill out the form at https://forms.gle/Z8RPCExoDCm8UxHj6

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to davis.c...@gmail.com on Sun Oct 2 15:50:12 2022
    On Saturday, October 1, 2022 at 10:58:42 PM UTC-4, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
    RAS,
    Please distribute the following to any and all groups, message boards, clubs, or individuals who may be interested in installing OGN receivers at their soaring operations.

The SSA has allocated funds to help install 150 OGN receivers across the US. This will create a robust network of real-time glider tracking ground stations that track FLARM or OGN tracker equipped aircraft (similar to ADSB ground stations for
    transponder equipped aircraft).

Some benefits include:
    - Racing real-time scoring – viewership and interest in racing (coming soon)
    - Ability to create and score local contests
    - Club management (e.g. auto-logging of tow flights and tow heights, club/rental
    ship activity - with the help of low cost OGN trackers ($60) for aircraft lacking Flarm) -

An OGN receiver consumes about 2W of power (less than a LED lightbulb) and uses 2mb of bandwidth a day (less than 30 seconds of netflix). Suitable installation locations require internet (it can be slow) and power.

Current OGN receiver coverage can be found here https://ognrange.glidernet.org/?#,max,all,34.27084_-114.18640,8,#ff0e0eff:#0aff0aff, (very slow site, don’t zoom out) Europe has 1,450 OGN receivers, the US has 35.

Under this proposal, up to two receivers will be provided at a 100% discount and an additional two receivers at a 50% discount, per site. A site is defined as a glider airfield from a pre-existing list that have significant glider activity or have
    hosted contests on a regular basis. The idea is to provide excellent coverage at home airfields and additional coverage in task areas so as to maximize the benefits of tracking to the most pilots possible. Each OGN receiver covers a radius of roughly 40
    miles. If your site already has OGN receivers installed the proposal still applies to you - use it to expand your coverage areas. However, sites with zero tracking may be prioritized.

We are looking for site focals who can be a point of contact to install and manage these receivers. A site focal is the person responsible for the installation and upkeep (minor) of the OGN receivers in their area. Ideally, focals will be local experts
    who are knowledgeable about the local soaring area, have some knowledge of computers (like Raspberry Pi or linux) and can perform basic handyman tasks like mounting an antenna and routing a coax cable.

Deployment options range from the site focal following a guide, purchasing everything, assembling and installing (DIY from a guide)… down to Davis shipping the site focal an assembled and configured device ready to be powered on and connected to the
    antenna (plug and play). Due to the cost of and difficulty locating raspberry pis at this time the OGN receiver reimbursement cap will be raised to $400 per receiver. Installations must come online and receive aircraft signals to be eligible for
    reimbursement. You must fill out the form and be a site focal to be eligible for reimbursement.

This is a very small amount of work and you will be the OGN receiver expert for your area. If you are interested please fill out the form at https://forms.gle/Z8RPCExoDCm8UxHj6

Here's one opinion: "...this once again is racing BS, what benefit to the general glider community the SSA is in a terrible downward spiral!!! This all came about from last year when some contest geek started this tracking program and now general funds
    are being spent for such a small group compared to the overall population. Here we are with clubs going down the drain , such as Moontown, in Huntsville and the SSA could have provided financial help to keep them alive yet they come up with some tracking
    BS!"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bruce@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 2 16:45:14 2022
    You are totally wrong with your stand on this project. Go back to the original post and read the list of benefits.

At the Tucson Soaring Club (not known for racing but big on cross country flying), we have placed 4 or 5 of these units that can track the gliders in real time over most of the area we usually fly. It is a real safety asset for the time that someone
    goes missing or lands out.

It gives the operations crew an indicator of where every glider is located, especially toward the end of the day. When we have visitors, we show them the screen with glider positions, tracks and altitude to show what is possible for flights in
    realtime.

As a member who has not been able to fly as much this year, I can see what the members are doing on their flight, how high they are getting and what territory they are covering. It has encouraged myself and others to try new to us areas.

For those areas that have receivers, I can check out their conditions to see if the is an area for future flights.

It works great with flarms, but there are also cheap alternatives the allow tracking of all gliders and is compatible with flarm but without the collision avoidance level that flarm provides.

I think that this is a real asset to the future of soaring in the US.

Bruce

Here's one opinion: "...this once again is racing BS, what benefit to the general glider community the SSA is in a terrible downward spiral!!! This all came about from last year when some contest geek started this tracking program and now general funds
    are being spent for such a small group compared to the overall population. Here we are with clubs going down the drain , such as Moontown, in Huntsville and the SSA could have provided financial help to keep them alive yet they come up with some tracking
    BS!"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom BravoMike@21:1/5 to Bruce on Sun Oct 2 19:24:39 2022
    On 2022-10-02 18:45, Bruce wrote:
    You are totally wrong with your stand on this project. Go back to the original post and read the list of benefits.

At the Tucson Soaring Club (not known for racing but big on cross country flying), we have placed 4 or 5 of these units that can track the gliders in real time over most of the area we usually fly. It is a real safety asset for the time that someone
    goes missing or lands out.

It gives the operations crew an indicator of where every glider is located, especially toward the end of the day. When we have visitors, we show them the screen with glider positions, tracks and altitude to show what is possible for flights in
    realtime.

As a member who has not been able to fly as much this year, I can see what the members are doing on their flight, how high they are getting and what territory they are covering. It has encouraged myself and others to try new to us areas.

For those areas that have receivers, I can check out their conditions to see if the is an area for future flights.

It works great with flarms, but there are also cheap alternatives the allow tracking of all gliders and is compatible with flarm but without the collision avoidance level that flarm provides.

I think that this is a real asset to the future of soaring in the US.

Bruce

Here's one opinion: "...this once again is racing BS, what benefit to the general glider community the SSA is in a terrible downward spiral!!! This all came about from last year when some contest geek started this tracking program and now general
    funds are being spent for such a small group compared to the overall population. Here we are with clubs going down the drain , such as Moontown, in Huntsville and the SSA could have provided financial help to keep them alive yet they come up with some
    tracking BS!"

Ditto, what Bruce wrote.

At my club's recent Charity Rides Day I showed some OGN websites links
    to family members of the guests taken up in the air and they were all
    quite excited to see on their phones the position, altitude and speed of
    the gliders with their loved ones.

And see this remark from just two weeks ago from one of our members:
    "Side note: I was curious if anyone was flying. I used my Glider
    Tracker app on my phone and saw you and Bob aloft and a 21 at pattern
    altitude. I switched to the Dericam app on my phone that NN helped me
    set up (thanks NN for everything!) and was able to watch the 21 land and
    roll out. A little while later I was able to also watch EG land and
    rollout live. Pretty cool stuff!"

My personal side note as someone who came over from Europe: In not so a
    distant past America was a synonym of openness to new ideas. While in
    the old continent the reaction would be: "What for?", in the US it would
    be: "Why not? Let's try it!" Sadly, today it seems to be the (decadent?) America asking that sort of questions: "What for? What's the use?"

I do hope this project by SSA finds interest and support across the
    country as expected.

BravoMike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 2 17:28:31 2022
    I totally agree with Bruce. You are making an incorrect assumption that OGN only benefits racing. On the contrary, at Moriarty, we have a few OGN receivers in the area and will be installing more. The tracking display on a large flat screen monitor in
    the airport office is utilized by Airport Management, casual fliers and crews every single day we fly. It gives any interested party the capability of determining where pilots are throughout their flights. When the weather gets sketchy, we can see who is
    on the way back to the airport and find out if any pilot may be getting into a situation where a return to the field is questionable, allowing crews to prepare for a retrieve far sooner than having to wait for notification from the pilot. In New Mexico,
    long distances and poor radio or cell phone coverage could mean that an outlanding might not be reported for hours. Indeed, a few years ago we had a fatality that occurred IN THE PATTERN that was not directly observed. After the unfortunate pilot's wife
    contacted the airport operation crew, an analysis of the flight track determined the location of the accident within a few minutes of her inquiry. Unfortunately, this was several hours after the glider went down and the pilot perished. If we had not had
    access to the recorded flight track, a wide-spread Search and Rescue operation would have had to be initiated through the NM State Police.

During the recent 2022 U.S National Club Class Nationals, the tracking display in the airport office was monitored by content management and the contest director to give a visual picture of the day's task and the competitors' performance. It was also
    available to the crews, who could easily determine when to pop the first beer, once they were sure their pilot was on final glide. On the first day of the competition, weather (thunderstorms) blocked several pilots from making it back over the Manzano
    Mountains, and they were forced to land at the Albuquerque International Airport. Crews were on the way almost immediately, and Air Traffic Control was continuously kept apprised of the situation. Admittedly, nearly all competitors had not only FLARM,
    but ADS-B and/or transponders. As a side note, our tracking display also shows ADS-B and Transponder tracking information, so we have a good idea of the entire airspace situation in the area. OGN receivers and FLARM have greatly improved safety in our
    area.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 2 17:32:32 2022
    I totally agree with Bruce. You are making an incorrect assumption that OGN only benefits racing. On the contrary, at Moriarty, we have a few OGN receivers in the area and will be installing more. The tracking display on a large flat screen monitor in
    the airport office is utilized by Airport Management, casual fliers and crews every single day we fly. It gives any interested party the capability of determining where pilots are throughout their flights. When the weather gets sketchy, we can see who is
    on the way back to the airport and find out if any pilot may be getting into a situation where a return to the field is questionable, allowing crews to prepare for a retrieve far sooner than having to wait for notification from the pilot. In New Mexico,
    long distances and poor radio or cell phone coverage could mean that an outlanding might not be reported for hours. Indeed, a few years ago we had a fatality that occurred IN THE PATTERN that was not directly observed. After the unfortunate pilot's wife
    contacted the airport operation crew, an analysis of the flight track determined the location of the accident within a few minutes of her inquiry. Unfortunately, this was several hours after the glider went down and the pilot perished. If we had not had
    access to the recorded flight track, a wide-spread Search and Rescue operation would have had to be initiated through the NM State Police.

During the recent 2022 U.S National Club Class Nationals, the tracking display in the airport office was monitored by contest management and the contest director to give a visual picture of the day's task and the competitors' performance. It was also
    available to the crews, who could easily determine when to pop the first beer, once they were sure their pilot was on final glide. On the first day of the competition, weather (thunderstorms) blocked several pilots from making it back over the Manzano
    Mountains, and they were forced to land at the Albuquerque International Airport. Crews were on the way almost immediately, and Air Traffic Control was continuously kept apprised of the situation. Admittedly, nearly all competitors had not only FLARM,
    but ADS-B and/or transponders. As a side note, our tracking display also shows ADS-B and Transponder tracking information through FlightAware and other sources, so we have a good idea of the entire airspace situation in the area. OGN receivers and FLARM
    have greatly improved safety in our area.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davis Chappins@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 5 15:50:26 2022
    Bumping this to the top -

I have received responses from 28 individuals so far, which is great.

I have not heard from anyone in the following states: Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, N and S Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, New
    York, New Hampshire, Maine

Nevada and Utah are surprising as there is significant glider activity.

Please continue to share the message in the original post. If you live in one of the mentioned states, either sign up or let someone know who will.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davis Chappins@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 5 20:53:30 2022
    The answer to that is "sort of".

You type in the lat/lon and whatever you type in is where it reports itself. This may look strange if a receiver who reports its position in one state is receiving a signal from a glider in another. Also I think there are some error checking stuff to
    validate if a signal is "real" and "possible" in order to report it. There is some maximum distance from a receiver that a glider position can be forwarded.

I might suggest you do the johnny appleseed thing and just plant receivers at the places you visit, places that are flown but don't have residents (tonopah, ely, etc).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Davis Chappins on Wed Oct 5 20:44:25 2022
    On 10/5/2022 3:50 PM, Davis Chappins wrote:

I have not heard from anyone in the following states: Nevada, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, N and S Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, West Virginia, New

Please continue to share the message in the original post. If you live in one of the mentioned states, either sign up or let someone know who will.

I fly at a number of places during the year as we travel in our motorhome with the
    motorglider in tow, including Nevada, Utah, and Idaho, and sometimes North Dakota. Can the
    OGN system deal with a receiver that moves from place to place, maybe staying there from 1
    day to a couple weeks?

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ramy@21:1/5 to davis.c...@gmail.com on Wed Oct 5 22:36:06 2022
    Davis, I think there are 3 possible obstacles for installations:
    1- Power - the note mentions the need for power. However I know of at least one (at Byron) which works well just with solar panels. So perhaps power is not really required.
    2- Internet. Not every location has (reliable) Wi-Fi. Is cellular a viable option?
    3- coverage - many places in the west are surrounded with high mountains (eg Ely).
    Ideally you would want to install it on a mountain top. If the above 2 points can be resolved then it can be installed pretty much everywhere.

Ramy

On Wednesday, October 5, 2022 at 8:53:32 PM UTC-7, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:

You type in the lat/lon and whatever you type in is where it reports itself. This may look strange if a receiver who reports its position in one state is receiving a signal from a glider in another. Also I think there are some error checking stuff to
    validate if a signal is "real" and "possible" in order to report it. There is some maximum distance from a receiver that a glider position can be forwarded.

I might suggest you do the johnny appleseed thing and just plant receivers at the places you visit, places that are flown but don't have residents (tonopah, ely, etc).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Stuart Venters@21:1/5 to Tony on Thu Oct 6 07:44:32 2022
    On 10/2/22 17:50, Tony wrote:
    On Saturday, October 1, 2022 at 10:58:42 PM UTC-4, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
    RAS,

The SSA has allocated funds to help install 150 OGN receivers across the US. This will create a robust network of real-time glider tracking ground stations that track FLARM or OGN tracker equipped aircraft (similar to ADSB ground stations for

Some benefits include:

An OGN receiver consumes about 2W of power (less than a LED lightbulb) and >> uses 2mb of bandwidth a day (less than 30 seconds of netflix). Suitable installation locations require internet (it can be slow) and power.

Under this proposal, up to two receivers will be provided at a 100% discount and an additional two receivers at a 50% discount, per site. A site is defined as a glider airfield from a pre-existing list that have significant glider activity or have
    hosted contests on a regular basis. The idea is to provide excellent coverage at home airfields and additional coverage in task areas so as to maximize the benefits of tracking to the most pilots possible. Each OGN receiver covers a radius of roughly 40
    miles. If your site already has OGN receivers installed the proposal still applies to you - use it to expand your coverage areas. However, sites with zero tracking may be prioritized.

We are looking for site focals who can be a point of contact to install and manage these receivers. A site focal is the person responsible for the installation and upkeep (minor) of the OGN receivers in their area. Ideally, focals will be local
    experts who are knowledgeable about the local soaring area, have some knowledge of computers (like Raspberry Pi or linux) and can perform basic handyman tasks like mounting an antenna and routing a coax cable.

BS!"

I'm hopeful that Moontown will pull through. Thanks for your concern.

With regards to the fund and tracking network, getting and keeping
    active members is key. I agree that racing is probably a bit too
    specialized for growing the overall membership significantly.

The draw for me is the neat things to learn to push your soaring skills
    past those required to get a license. Having tracking (flarm+OGN?) on
    local training flights might be a way to make this list less daunting.

An OGN network will only serve gliders with tracking onboard. That will
    get the more advanced pilots and folks on the ground will get a gee wiz
    factor. To grow the membership, logically, it seems like whatever the
    less advanced pilots are flying needs tracking on board?

A side note is that the availability of stuff (Like raspberry PI's) in
    the maker community is very limited since Covid. I wonder if it is
    possible today to actually buy the parts necessary to make a tracker
    network?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Davis Chappins on Thu Oct 6 06:17:15 2022
    On 10/5/2022 8:53 PM, Davis Chappins wrote:

Is that practical? Are they reliable enough that once it's set up, it could go a year
    without attention?

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Daly@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Thu Oct 6 06:50:40 2022
    On Thursday, October 6, 2022 at 9:17:20 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Is that practical? Are they reliable enough that once it's set up, it could go a year
    without attention?
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

They can be set to reboot automatically if there's a power interruption. If they're connected, they can be controlled remotely by a user with the proper configuration. For example, the OGN receiver currently active at Lake Placid NY was trouble-shot by a
    person in Ottawa - he found the software driven radio dongle wasn't serviceable. We had a spare with us and the station is up. Now all we need is wave. Or thermals. We have tried to get the rangers to let us put the station on Whiteface Mountain (4,867'
    msl) with no luck. We stick an antenna outside the FBO on a telephone pole at about 1750'msl). We can detect gliders at Lake Placid at 5,000' from our home station in Pendleton, Ontario, 158 km/100 sm away...
    We bundle up the OGN station (rpi 2b+, RTLSDR dongle, LMR240 low loss coax, and antenna ( https://www.data-alliance.net/antenna-900mhz-8dbi-omni-directional-w-n-female-pole-mount-gsm/ works well but isn't 8dbi - probably 3) and take it home after the
    wave camp.
    I'm working to have a solar powered station, but it still needs to connect to the internet.
    Dan
    2D

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Thu Oct 6 08:03:35 2022
    On 10/6/22 07:17, Eric Greenwell wrote:

You type in the lat/lon and whatever you type in is where it reports
    itself. This may look strange if a receiver who reports its position
    in one state is receiving a signal from a glider in another. Also I
    think there are some error checking stuff to validate if a signal is
    "real" and "possible" in order to report it. There is some maximum
    distance from a receiver that a glider position can be forwarded.

I might suggest you do the johnny appleseed thing and just plant
    receivers at the places you visit, places that are flown but don't
    have residents (tonopah, ely, etc).

Is that practical? Are they reliable enough that once it's set up, it
    could go a year without attention?

My club has had a receiver this season. It needed one reboot for
    unknown reasons, and we had a UPS burn out, taking down the internet.
    Not bad at all for consumer electronics, but not hands off. Another
    receiver in the state has been down multiple times, I believe wind has
    loosened a USB connector in that case. My receiver is inside the
    building, providing a weatherproof enclosure that doesn't get
    excessively hot when baking in the sun is challenging.

Looking at the list of registered receivers, it seems like about a third
    of them are down at any given time, even in the middle of soaring season:

http://wiki.glidernet.org/list-of-receivers#toc36

So maybe in the real world, reliability isn't terrific after all.

Cell data is absolutely practical, our club is on a 50GB/mo cell plan,
    and the OGN traffic is a tiny percentage of that.

-Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Stuart Venters on Thu Oct 6 08:13:46 2022
    On 10/6/22 06:44, Stuart Venters wrote:

A side note is that the availability of stuff (Like raspberry PI's) in
    the maker community is very limited since Covid.  I wonder if it is
    possible today to actually buy the parts necessary to make a tracker
    network?

Raspberry Pi's are still being produced, but unfortunately being bought
    up by scalpers and sold for high prices. $150-200 is common for a Pi 4.

I believe it will actually run fine on a Pi Zero, which are much more reasonable, and pi 3's are another option.

Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Richard Livingston@21:1/5 to davis.c...@gmail.com on Thu Oct 6 07:20:42 2022
    On Wednesday, October 5, 2022 at 5:50:29 PM UTC-5, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:

Davis,

I set up the receiver at Highland, IL this summer, but I and many of our club members live in Missouri. It is mounted on a pole on the roof of our club house with only a 19VDC power connection. I mounted the antenna, preamp, SDR and Raspberry Pi in a
    PVC sewer pipe with vent holes on the bottom. It has a wifi connection to our club internet connection. It has been operating trouble free for several months now.

I'm not aware of much glider flying in Missouri, we all fly in the middle Illinois area where there are a lot of landable fields. Only a few of our private gliders have Flarm, so not much traffic shows up. I'm starting to build up an OGN tracker that I'
    ll try out in a club glider. If it works well, and I can convince the club to install in the club gliders, we should see a lot more of the activity we have in southern Illinois.

Rich L.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Moshe Braner@21:1/5 to Ramy on Thu Oct 6 10:52:29 2022
    On 10/6/2022 1:36 AM, Ramy wrote:
    1- Power - the note mentions the need for power. However I know of at least one (at Byron) which works well just with solar panels. So perhaps power is not really required.
    2- Internet. Not every location has (reliable) Wi-Fi. Is cellular a viable option?
    3- coverage - many places in the west are surrounded with high mountains (eg Ely).
    Ideally you would want to install it on a mountain top. If the above 2 points can be resolved then it can be installed pretty much everywhere.

Ramy

For exactly those reasons I've been working on the "OGNbase" software,
    with the "relay" option. It runs on cheap hardware (that is available
    at the moment, e.g., via banggood.com). The power draw is much less than
    a Pi. The software is 1000x (!) smaller (embedded, not over Linux).
    The "relay" option means one station can be on a mountaintop, running on
    a small solar panel. It receives the signals from gliders, and sends
    that info - by same radio - to the "base" station, which can be some
    miles away in the valley. Only the base station needs access to the
    internet. This system is still experimental, but developed enough for
    anybody to try out. If the remote station is far from anything that
    makes electrical noise, it can get better reception of the FLARM signals
    from gliders (I've been using it *without* the filter and preamp that
    are recommended for the Pi/SDR). The base station can use a directional antenna. The cost of the two devices plus two antennas is roughly $200
    - most of that for the antennas. And cell service is not needed, only
    WiFi at the base station location. https://github.com/moshe-braner/Open-Glider-Network-Groundstation https://github.com/moshe-braner/Open-Glider-Network-Groundstation/blob/main/ognbase/documentation/documentation.txt

At one person's request, I also added a "mobile" option: the station
    registers (each time) with OGN using the location it determines from its
    GPS. Thus can install it in a car and drive it to various gliderports.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Dan Daly on Thu Oct 6 08:09:55 2022
    On 10/6/2022 6:50 AM, Dan Daly wrote:
    On Thursday, October 6, 2022 at 9:17:20 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:

without attention?
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

They can be set to reboot automatically if there's a power interruption. If they're connected, they can be controlled remotely by a user with the proper configuration. For example, the OGN receiver currently active at Lake Placid NY was trouble-shot by
    a person in Ottawa - he found the software driven radio dongle wasn't serviceable. We had a spare with us and the station is up. Now all we need is wave. Or thermals. We have tried to get the rangers to let us put the station on Whiteface Mountain (4,
    867'msl) with no luck. We stick an antenna outside the FBO on a telephone pole at about 1750'msl). We can detect gliders at Lake Placid at 5,000' from our home station in Pendleton, Ontario, 158 km/100 sm away...

That kind of range would make it worthwhile to put one on my hangar at KRLD, which is
    mostly flat for a 70+sm radius, with no obstructing buildings on the airport. There's no
    hurry, as the soaring season is over, but I'll follow the OGN situation, and make a
    decision next Feb/Mar.

We bundle up the OGN station (rpi 2b+, RTLSDR dongle, LMR240 low loss coax, and antenna ( https://www.data-alliance.net/antenna-900mhz-8dbi-omni-directional-w-n-female-pole-mount-gsm/ works well but isn't 8dbi - probably 3) and take it home after the
    wave camp.
    I'm working to have a solar powered station, but it still needs to connect to the internet.

A solar powered unit, with mobile access, would be completely self-contained, and could be
    strapped to a fence post, etc, wherever I was flying for a few days. That's interesting,
    and there's 6 months of winter coming to make it happen in time for the 2023 soaring season.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davis Chappins@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 6 08:36:32 2022
    All,
    Most of the questions and concerns in this thread have been addressed already an are included in the plan.
    I encourage everyone who has participated in this thread to sign up to be a focal. There is no binding agreement that you have to do any work but you will be aware of the situation and can inform others. If you have previously installed any receivers
    then you should definitely sign up.

Link to signup form here https://forms.gle/Z8RPCExoDCm8UxHj6

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to kinsell on Thu Oct 6 16:26:23 2022
    On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 08:13:46 -0600, kinsell wrote:

From what I see on comp.sys.raspberry-pi the issue is commercial users
    selling products based on RPis and paying top dollar to keep their
    products available rather than retail scalping, though I agree that either
    way its a problem doe people who want a few RPis.

I believe it will actually run fine on a Pi Zero, which are much more reasonable,

... and likely to be less interesting to manufacturers, due to their more limited i/o capability, so worth looking at for small projects, especially
    the Pi Zero W, which has onboard wifi as a standard feature.

--

Martin | martin at
    Gregorie | gregorie dot org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Stuart Venters@21:1/5 to Martin Gregorie on Thu Oct 6 12:49:23 2022
    On 10/6/22 11:26, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 08:13:46 -0600, kinsell wrote:

From what I see on comp.sys.raspberry-pi the issue is commercial users selling products based on RPis and paying top dollar to keep their
    products available rather than retail scalping, though I agree that either way its a problem doe people who want a few RPis.

I believe it will actually run fine on a Pi Zero, which are much more
    reasonable,

... and likely to be less interesting to manufacturers, due to their more limited i/o capability, so worth looking at for small projects, especially the Pi Zero W, which has onboard wifi as a standard feature.

The scalpers are a pain, but not the cause of the problem.

The problem with Pi 3,4,and zero is that the Pi folks decided to support
    those who made businesses depending on the RasPi hardware at the
    original price at the expense of experimenter/maker community that
    bootstrapped those businesses.

Supporting long term relationships first is a reasonable choice to make,
    but it does make it hard to get a few without connections, luck, or
    overpaying.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Moshe Braner on Thu Oct 6 11:41:02 2022
    On 10/6/2022 7:52 AM, Moshe Braner wrote:
    1- Power - the note mentions the need for power. However I know of at least one (at
    Byron) which works well just with solar panels. So perhaps power is not really required.
    Ideally you would want to install it on a mountain top. If the above 2 points can be
    resolved then it can be installed pretty much everywhere.

Ramy

For exactly those reasons I've been working on the "OGNbase" software, with the "relay"
    option.  It runs on cheap hardware (that is available at the moment, e.g., via
    banggood.com). The power draw is much less than a Pi.  The software is 1000x (!) smaller
    (embedded, not over Linux). The "relay" option means one station can be on a mountaintop,
    running on a small solar panel.  It receives the signals from gliders, and sends that info
    - by same radio - to the "base" station, which can be some miles away in the valley.  Only
    the base station needs access to the internet.  This system is still experimental, but
    developed enough for anybody to try out.  If the remote station is far from anything that
    makes electrical noise, it can get better reception of the FLARM signals from gliders
    (I've been using it *without* the filter and preamp that are recommended for the Pi/SDR).
    The base station can use a directional antenna.  The cost of the two devices plus two
    antennas is roughly $200 - most of that for the antennas.  And cell service is not needed,
    only WiFi at the base station location. https://github.com/moshe-braner/Open-Glider-Network-Groundstation https://github.com/moshe-braner/Open-Glider-Network-Groundstation/blob/main/ognbase/documentation/documentation.txt

At one person's request, I also added a "mobile" option: the station registers (each time)
    with OGN using the location it determines from its GPS.  Thus can install it in a car and
    drive it to various gliderports.

I like the mobile option for mounting on my motorhome (my glider tow vehicle), as I'd
    always have an OGN wherever I flew in the country.

A solar powered, wifi unit would be ideal for mounting on a friend's roof, as it would
    avoid need for installing an antenna cable and receiver into their house. This would be in
    lieu of an airport installation, as the house is on a hill, a much higher elevation than
    the airport.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bruce@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 6 12:48:28 2022
    Some on here have indicated that this only works with Flarm equipped gliders. Not True. Using the link below, you can build a transceiver the works with OGN, but also is seen by Flarm as well as some other standards. The guts of the unit can be
    purchased for $30-40 and if you have someone with a 3D printer you can print the case, of buy it from several sources. The unit can be powered by a rechargeable lithium battery, but a better solution is to connect it to the ships battery with a USB
    voltage conversation kit and plug ( it automatically turn on when connected and turns off when disconnected). It also is a receiver of other units and flarm so positions can be shown on XCSoar and other glide computers.

Check it out and if it's over your head, get one of the younger guys to help. It's kind of a fun project and provides tracking for not too much money. So there's no excuse for not having a tracker.

https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/wiki/Prime-Edition-MkII

Bruce

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From WaltWX@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 6 15:54:08 2022
    without attention?
    --
    I can attest to the OGN Receiver going over a year without attention. The RasPi is located in my house where power and Internet is reliable. I literally had to check it periodically during the winter to see if it was still running. It was! Not a bad
    idea, though... to power reset it periodically, because it comes up and operating without any additional action required.

Walt Rogers WX

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Moshe Braner@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Thu Oct 6 19:34:03 2022
    On 10/6/2022 2:41 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On 10/6/2022 7:52 AM, Moshe Braner wrote:
    1- Power - the note mentions the need for power. However I know of at
    least one (at Byron) which works well just with solar panels. So
    perhaps power is not really required.
    2- Internet. Not every location has (reliable) Wi-Fi. Is cellular a
    viable option?
    3- coverage - many places in the west are surrounded with high
    mountains (eg Ely).
    Ideally you would want to install it on a mountain top. If the above
    2 points can be resolved then it can be installed pretty much
    everywhere.

Ramy

For exactly those reasons I've been working on the "OGNbase" software,
    with the "relay" option.  It runs on cheap hardware (that is available
    at the moment, e.g., via banggood.com). The power draw is much less
    than a Pi.  The software is 1000x (!) smaller (embedded, not over
    Linux). The "relay" option means one station can be on a mountaintop,
    running on a small solar panel.  It receives the signals from gliders,
    and sends that info - by same radio - to the "base" station, which can
    be some miles away in the valley.  Only the base station needs access
    to the internet.  This system is still experimental, but developed
    enough for anybody to try out.  If the remote station is far from
    anything that makes electrical noise, it can get better reception of
    the FLARM signals from gliders (I've been using it *without* the
    filter and preamp that are recommended for the Pi/SDR). The base
    station can use a directional antenna.  The cost of the two devices
    plus two antennas is roughly $200 - most of that for the antennas.
    And cell service is not needed, only WiFi at the base station location.
    https://github.com/moshe-braner/Open-Glider-Network-Groundstation
    https://github.com/moshe-braner/Open-Glider-Network-Groundstation/blob/main/ognbase/documentation/documentation.txt

At one person's request, I also added a "mobile" option: the station
    registers (each time) with OGN using the location it determines from
    its GPS.  Thus can install it in a car and drive it to various
    gliderports.

I like the mobile option for mounting on my motorhome (my glider tow vehicle), as I'd always have an OGN wherever I flew in the country.

A solar powered, wifi unit would be ideal for mounting on a friend's
    roof, as it would avoid need for installing an antenna cable and
    receiver into their house. This would be in lieu of an airport
    installation, as the house is on a hill, a much higher elevation than
    the airport.

Using OGNbase in a truly mobile fashion needs a WiFi hotspot (e.g.,
    through your phone) available for internet access. The alternative is
    to bring the "mobile" unit to within range of whatever WiFi is available
    at some building.

If I were to set up OGNbase temporarily, e.g., at a contest site, I
    would still use the 2-station "relay" method. That way, the outside
    unit can be set up high and/or in an open spot, and have good reception
    of both FLARM signals and GPS (which it needs in order to know the exact
    time). And the inside unit will have WiFi access. And I wouldn't need
    to run a long cable from a high antenna into the building.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Richard Livingston@21:1/5 to Bruce on Fri Oct 7 08:04:31 2022
    On Thursday, October 6, 2022 at 2:48:30 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
    Some on here have indicated that this only works with Flarm equipped gliders. Not True. Using the link below, you can build a transceiver the works with OGN, but also is seen by Flarm as well as some other standards. The guts of the unit can be
    purchased for $30-40 and if you have someone with a 3D printer you can print the case, of buy it from several sources. The unit can be powered by a rechargeable lithium battery, but a better solution is to connect it to the ships battery with a USB
    voltage conversation kit and plug ( it automatically turn on when connected and turns off when disconnected). It also is a receiver of other units and flarm so positions can be shown on XCSoar and other glide computers.

Check it out and if it's over your head, get one of the younger guys to help. It's kind of a fun project and provides tracking for not too much money. So there's no excuse for not having a tracker.

https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/wiki/Prime-Edition-MkII

Bruce

Bruce,

That is an interesting option, but from the web page it isn't clear exactly what FLARM capability it has. Clearly it receives FLARM signals and can indicate traffic on a display, but does it broadcast FLARM data that other FLARM units can see? Does it
    issue FLARM alerts (i.e. does it do conflict calculations), or only the radar display?

Rich L.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davis Chappins@21:1/5 to All on Fri Oct 7 10:15:09 2022
    All,

Good discussion but please keep this thread focused on OGN deployment.

I have 36 people signed up so far.
    Some notable absences are: Minden/Tahoe area, all of Utah, Ely, Minnesota, central Florida, southern Florida, and central California. If you are reading this and thinking "hey I live in one of those areas..." Please sign up with the link at at https://
    forms.gle/Z8RPCExoDCm8UxHj6 it is non-binding and does not commit you to anything.

I am hosting a teams meeting this coming tuesday with all focals to review the plan and ask/answer any questions so sign up before then.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From krasw@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 8 05:35:34 2022
    I was organizing OGN receiver station setup for my country years ago. We (nat. aeroclub) made a shopping list of components needed (antenna, filter/amp, raspberry, radio usb stick etc.), instructions, bought a huge reel of coax cable and tools for making
    connectors. We offered to pay hardware for any one becoming a receiver host and supplied cables to make everything as easy as possible. In couple of years, we had a very good coverage and total cost was quite reasonable (few thousands). I can give you
    one hint: choose receiver antenna location wisely. A good station with antenna on tall mast will out-range a grid of 4-5 separate OGN station with average antenna setups.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tim Newport-Peace@21:1/5 to krasw on Sat Oct 8 15:49:06 2022
    On 08/10/2022 13:35, krasw wrote:
    I was organizing OGN receiver station setup for my country years ago. We (nat. aeroclub) made a shopping list of components needed (antenna, filter/amp, raspberry, radio usb stick etc.), instructions, bought a huge reel of coax cable and tools for
    making connectors. We offered to pay hardware for any one becoming a receiver host and supplied cables to make everything as easy as possible. In couple of years, we had a very good coverage and total cost was quite reasonable (few thousands). I can give
    you one hint: choose receiver antenna location wisely. A good station with antenna on tall mast will out-range a grid of 4-5 separate OGN station with average antenna setups.Agree. The antenna needs to be Collinear type, which is basically
    several antennas stacked vertically. To make your own,look at: http://live.glidernet.org/doc/collinear_antenna.pdf
    You may need to adjust the lengths to match US Flarm frequencies. For
    mine, I enclosed the antenna in plastic pipe (sealed against moisture).

Low loss coax is required, and lengths kept to a minimum. The coax used
    in your glider will no do. It must be (very) low Loss. It is important
    that the ends of the coax feeder are moisture-sealed. If moisture as
    allowed to capillary between Conductor and Screen it will seriously
    degrade the signal.

The signal from Flarm is low-power, so you need all the signal you can get.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davis Chappins@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 8 09:07:44 2022
    All,
    Good points regarding reception. The standard kit contains a 4ft 915mhz antenna with low loss LMR400 cable and a 915mhz amp/filter https://v3.airspy.us/product/upu-fp915s/ which boosts the weak FLARM signal.
    The above setup with a crappy 30ft RG58 cable gets 40-60mi range consistently and is very affordable.
    To make it easy all items are COTS so no one has to construct their own antenna.

Krasw, how many stations did you deploy?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Nadler@21:1/5 to Tim Newport-Peace on Sat Oct 8 12:16:29 2022
    On 10/8/2022 10:49 AM, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:
    You may need to adjust the lengths to match US Flarm frequencies.

You definitely need to adjust the lengths for USA frequency range.

Tim, what do you do for lightning protection?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davis Chappins@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 8 11:49:42 2022
  • From Boise Pilot@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 8 11:29:16 2022
    This may be a dumb question but is this re-inventing the mouse trap when the GliderPortAero is out there and needs someone to take control? It seemed to work pretty well - remember the time Tim Taylor landed out and followed him to the "bushes" and back.
    - It is still running for those that were registered. Does not need new equipment and worked everyplace even those with minimal numbers of flights.
    Boise ID

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From krasw@21:1/5 to davis.c...@gmail.com on Sun Oct 9 00:11:32 2022
    On Saturday, 8 October 2022 at 19:07:46 UTC+3, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
    All,
    Good points regarding reception. The standard kit contains a 4ft 915mhz antenna with low loss LMR400 cable and a 915mhz amp/filter https://v3.airspy.us/product/upu-fp915s/ which boosts the weak FLARM signal.
    The above setup with a crappy 30ft RG58 cable gets 40-60mi range consistently and is very affordable.
    To make it easy all items are COTS so no one has to construct their own antenna.

Krasw, how many stations did you deploy?

I think 6-7 new ones, in addition to old ones. If I remember correctly, the hardware was about 350 euros per station (this is years ago). The new stations are generally outstanding, the antenna+filter we used was very good. The filter box is for
    filtering out cell tower signals, it appears to be very important here.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Godfrey@21:1/5 to Boise Pilot on Sun Oct 9 08:40:47 2022
    On Saturday, October 8, 2022 at 2:29:18 PM UTC-4, Boise Pilot wrote:
    This may be a dumb question but is this re-inventing the mouse trap when the GliderPortAero is out there and needs someone to take control? It seemed to work pretty well - remember the time Tim Taylor landed out and followed him to the "bushes" and
    back.- It is still running for those that were registered. Does not need new equipment and worked everyplace even those with minimal numbers of flights.
    Boise ID
    Boise Pilot,
    It is important to differentiate between:
    1. The network of technologies that recieve and aggregate position information. This is "population" of the OGN tracking database with information from SPOT, InReach, Flarm, etc.
    2. The user interface that uses the OGN data to display the various user-desired selection of track, tasks etc. There are a bunch of these, of which glideport.aero is one.

Davis's project is about item 1. Whatever your personal preference about how to do #2 is, accomplishing #1 is the required foundation.

FWIW

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Martin Gregorie on Sun Oct 9 15:46:10 2022
    On 10/6/22 10:26, Martin Gregorie wrote:

... and likely to be less interesting to manufacturers, due to their more limited i/o capability, so worth looking at for small projects, especially the Pi Zero W, which has onboard wifi as a standard feature.

Yes, and there's a Pi Zero 2 W now, much better processor chip.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davis Chappins@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 23 21:41:17 2022

So far I have received responses from 62 people from 54 clubs across 29 states. If you have signed up, thank you.

If you haven't please re-read the top post for the benefits and click the signup form.

We have 2 operational receivers so far with 8 more delivered waiting to install.
    Mid Nov there will be 17 more. After that an additional 82 are planned, waiting on confirmation of site-specific information (internet access/power/antenna mount).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From J6 aka Airport Bum@21:1/5 to davis.c...@gmail.com on Mon Oct 24 07:09:22 2022
    Well done, Davis!

Here at the Central Alabama Soaring Association, our receiver installation (temporary) at Merkel Field Sylacauga Alabama passed our testing this past weekend with flying colors, and we are proceeding with a permanent installation very soon. And we will
    be installing the simple trackers in our club fleet, including the tow plane. And the Automatic flight logging will greatly simplify our club’s recordkeeping and billing. We will also install trackers in a handful of club member’s private ships that
    do not have the full FLARM installation, thereby giving near FLARM-like situational awareness. This will give us outstanding situational awareness of glider operations out of our club flying site. We have life saver helicopter operations out of our home
    field, and we plan to give them a tracker and a Skyview display, so that they can also see our operations. A very significant safety improvement, we believe.

Finally, this system will provide us with a very cool real time tracking display that will be lots of fun when we hold our little local GTA race every spring and fall. We will be able to see the competitors out on course, making our races a “spectator
    sport”. And, my favorite thing, we will have situational awareness at the end of the day about gliders out on cross country who might be getting low, struggling to get home, and in the worst case missing and unaccounted for.

I highly recommend that clubs and flying sites take advantage of this opportunity to set yourself up on OGN.

Thank you Davis for all the great work you are doing here.

Jim J6

On Sunday, October 23, 2022 at 11:41:19 PM UTC-5, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
    So far I have received responses from 62 people from 54 clubs across 29 states.
    If you have signed up, thank you.

If you haven't please re-read the top post for the benefits and click the signup form.

We have 2 operational receivers so far with 8 more delivered waiting to install.
    Mid Nov there will be 17 more. After that an additional 82 are planned, waiting on confirmation of site-specific information (internet access/power/antenna mount).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie Finn@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 9 16:25:31 2022
    You mentioned data was being collected from spot, inreach, flarm, etc. Are/can you collect data from APRS. I remember SSA was doing so years ago.

Charlie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davis Chappins@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 9 16:32:10 2022
    I am sending spot/inreach/adsb data TO APRS (the OGN servers) https://github.com/DavisChappins/SpotToOGN https://github.com/DavisChappins/InreachToOGN https://github.com/DavisChappins/ADSBtoOGN

Anyone can get data from the OGN servers http://ognproject.wikidot.com/dev-python

Hope that helps.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie Finn@21:1/5 to davis.c...@gmail.com on Wed Nov 9 17:10:52 2022
    On Wednesday, November 9, 2022 at 7:32:13 PM UTC-5, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
    I am sending spot/inreach/adsb data TO APRS (the OGN servers) https://github.com/DavisChappins/SpotToOGN https://github.com/DavisChappins/InreachToOGN https://github.com/DavisChappins/ADSBtoOGN

Anyone can get data from the OGN servers http://ognproject.wikidot.com/dev-python

Hope that helps.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davis Chappins@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 9 17:22:21 2022
    Charlie,
    What are you trying to accomplish?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie Finn@21:1/5 to Charlie Finn on Wed Nov 9 17:17:04 2022
    On Wednesday, November 9, 2022 at 8:10:29 PM UTC-5, Charlie Finn wrote:
    On Wednesday, November 9, 2022 at 7:32:13 PM UTC-5, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:

Hope that helps.

Sorry for the previous blank message. Hit post too soon.

Since OGN is based on APRS, but uses a different port, we should be able to easily scrub APRS data for subscribed members and send that to the OGN servers. Shouldn't be difficult, but was wondering if it was already implemented.

Charlie
    AK4IA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie Finn@21:1/5 to davis.c...@gmail.com on Wed Nov 9 17:23:53 2022
    On Wednesday, November 9, 2022 at 8:22:23 PM UTC-5, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
    Charlie,
    What are you trying to accomplish?

Trying to use current APRS handheld for OGN tracking.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matt Herron Jr.@21:1/5 to davis.c...@gmail.com on Tue Dec 6 09:50:28 2022
    On Saturday, October 1, 2022 at 7:58:42 PM UTC-7, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
    RAS,

Some benefits include:

An OGN receiver consumes about 2W of power (less than a LED lightbulb) and uses 2mb of bandwidth a day (less than 30 seconds of netflix). Suitable installation locations require internet (it can be slow) and power.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Davis

What does the physical embodiment of these receivers look like? Are you in need of any mechanical engineering to design a user friendly enclosure or build out? I would be happy to help. I also have a laser cutter that could produce internal structures
    to hold components. I know Andy B. is working on Solar power for OGN. Any need for integrations support there?

Thanks,

Matt (matt (at) digital shorts (dot) com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie Finn@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 6 15:35:46 2022
    The units that the SSA are shipping have a metal enclosure with a fan. If you are going to build one yourself, I suggest you get a Raspberry Pi case for the approrite model If using a Pi4, you should get a case with a fan. Pi 3 or 3B, really doesn't need
    a fan.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Godfrey@21:1/5 to Matt Herron Jr. on Tue Dec 6 15:15:18 2022
    On Tuesday, December 6, 2022 at 12:50:30 PM UTC-5, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
    On Saturday, October 1, 2022 at 7:58:42 PM UTC-7, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
    RAS,

Some benefits include:

We are looking for site focals who can be a point of contact to install and manage these receivers. A site focal is the person responsible for the installation and upkeep (minor) of the OGN receivers in their area. Ideally, focals will be local
    experts who are knowledgeable about the local soaring area, have some knowledge of computers (like Raspberry Pi or linux) and can perform basic handyman tasks like mounting an antenna and routing a coax cable.

Deployment options range from the site focal following a guide, purchasing everything, assembling and installing (DIY from a guide)… down to Davis shipping the site focal an assembled and configured device ready to be powered on and connected to
    the antenna (plug and play). Due to the cost of and difficulty locating raspberry pis at this time the OGN receiver reimbursement cap will be raised to $400 per receiver. Installations must come online and receive aircraft signals to be eligible for

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi Davis

What does the physical embodiment of these receivers look like? Are you in need of any mechanical engineering to design a user friendly enclosure or build out? I would be happy to help. I also have a laser cutter that could produce internal structures
    to hold components. I know Andy B. is working on Solar power for OGN. Any need for integrations support there?

Thanks,

Matt (matt (at) digital shorts (dot) com
    Have a look at https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1-3e3Q4CPe0vkb91G_hloWnpkzXFzHxfHciuUzGsI8CI/edit#slide=id.g16fe1495109_0_0

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nicholas Kennedy@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 4 21:06:31 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lARsgBr3SGg

Have our friends in Utah been busy?
    Nick
    T

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05