• Re: Seminole-Lake Accident

From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to stil...@aol.com on Thu Sep 22 06:54:46 2022
    On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 at 9:35:22 PM UTC-4, stil...@aol.com wrote:
    Seminole-Lake Gliderport sadly announces we had a fatal glider accident today. The accident will be investigated by the FAA and NTSB, an inspector was on the scene today. We do not want to identify the pilot but he was flying a Standard Cirrus that he
    owned. He was NOT in the Senior Soaring Championship. The accident occurred after a premature release by the pilot from tow at about 500 feet over the end of the runway. We recovered an Oudie and Nano (this unit was still operational) at the site and we
    expect it will greatly aid in the investigation. We ask you not call the office or come to the gliderport to view the scene. Seminole-Lake has been in the business of promoting soaring for over 50 years and this is our first fatal accident. Our prayers
    go out to the pilot's family.

Sincerely,
    Rich Owen

I wonder if there was any final determination as to the cause of the accident? It has been more than 2 years.

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    Now Happy Helicopter Pilot

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Foster@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Thu Sep 22 12:04:06 2022
    On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 7:54:48 AM UTC-6, waltco...@aol.com wrote:
    Seminole-Lake Gliderport sadly announces we had a fatal glider accident today. The accident will be investigated by the FAA and NTSB, an inspector was on the scene today. We do not want to identify the pilot but he was flying a Standard Cirrus that
    he owned. He was NOT in the Senior Soaring Championship. The accident occurred after a premature release by the pilot from tow at about 500 feet over the end of the runway. We recovered an Oudie and Nano (this unit was still operational) at the site and
    we expect it will greatly aid in the investigation. We ask you not call the office or come to the gliderport to view the scene. Seminole-Lake has been in the business of promoting soaring for over 50 years and this is our first fatal accident. Our
    prayers go out to the pilot's family.

Sincerely,
    Rich Owen
    I wonder if there was any final determination as to the cause of the accident? It has been more than 2 years.

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot

https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/101152/pdf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to johngf...@gmail.com on Thu Sep 22 14:11:08 2022
    On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 3:04:08 PM UTC-4, johngf...@gmail.com wrote:
    Seminole-Lake Gliderport sadly announces we had a fatal glider accident today. The accident will be investigated by the FAA and NTSB, an inspector was on the scene today. We do not want to identify the pilot but he was flying a Standard Cirrus that
    he owned. He was NOT in the Senior Soaring Championship. The accident occurred after a premature release by the pilot from tow at about 500 feet over the end of the runway. We recovered an Oudie and Nano (this unit was still operational) at the site and
    we expect it will greatly aid in the investigation. We ask you not call the office or come to the gliderport to view the scene. Seminole-Lake has been in the business of promoting soaring for over 50 years and this is our first fatal accident. Our

Sincerely,
    Rich Owen

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/api/Aviation/ReportMain/GenerateNewestReport/101152/pdf

Thank you, about what I expected. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. but I have a heck of a time finding accident reports that should be completed. Amazing that it took 2 years for this one but I guess they have far bigger accidents to handle.

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Thu Sep 22 14:14:48 2022
    On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 5:11:10 PM UTC-4, waltco...@aol.com wrote:
    Seminole-Lake Gliderport sadly announces we had a fatal glider accident today. The accident will be investigated by the FAA and NTSB, an inspector was on the scene today. We do not want to identify the pilot but he was flying a Standard Cirrus
    that he owned. He was NOT in the Senior Soaring Championship. The accident occurred after a premature release by the pilot from tow at about 500 feet over the end of the runway. We recovered an Oudie and Nano (this unit was still operational) at the site
    and we expect it will greatly aid in the investigation. We ask you not call the office or come to the gliderport to view the scene. Seminole-Lake has been in the business of promoting soaring for over 50 years and this is our first fatal accident. Our

Sincerely,
    Rich Owen

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    Thank you, about what I expected. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. but I have a heck of a time finding accident reports that should be completed. Amazing that it took 2 years for this one but I guess they have far bigger accidents to handle.
    Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    Walt, I think COVID had a lot to do with the investigation or lack of it. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Foster@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Thu Sep 22 15:12:00 2022
    On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 3:11:10 PM UTC-6, waltco...@aol.com wrote:
    Seminole-Lake Gliderport sadly announces we had a fatal glider accident today. The accident will be investigated by the FAA and NTSB, an inspector was on the scene today. We do not want to identify the pilot but he was flying a Standard Cirrus
    that he owned. He was NOT in the Senior Soaring Championship. The accident occurred after a premature release by the pilot from tow at about 500 feet over the end of the runway. We recovered an Oudie and Nano (this unit was still operational) at the site
    and we expect it will greatly aid in the investigation. We ask you not call the office or come to the gliderport to view the scene. Seminole-Lake has been in the business of promoting soaring for over 50 years and this is our first fatal accident. Our

Sincerely,
    Rich Owen

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot

I really have struggled to find accident reports as well. There is not a clear place to find them, and searches of the NTSB database through their website end up being an exercise in frustration. These ones I found by searching the Aviation Safety
    Network for their accident reports. They will then link to the official NTSB report for each accident.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to johngf...@gmail.com on Thu Sep 22 15:39:48 2022
    On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 6:12:02 PM UTC-4, johngf...@gmail.com wrote:

Sincerely,
    Rich Owen

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    I really have struggled to find accident reports as well. There is not a clear place to find them, and searches of the NTSB database through their website end up being an exercise in frustration. These ones I found by searching the Aviation Safety
    Network for their accident reports. They will then link to the official NTSB report for each accident.

I kept a database of accident reports at one tine but sometimes they are deactivated if that's the word. Always good to read these things to try to understand what happened. Makes you wonder why spin recovery/spin avoidance isn't taught.

Walt Connelly

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George Haeh@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 22 16:29:07 2022
    I've seen some clubs demanding a full turn in a spin before beginning recovery.

Following that technique when inadvertently entering a spin turning base or final, the ground will likely get in the way before recovery.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob W.@21:1/5 to George Haeh on Fri Sep 23 06:59:25 2022
    On 9/22/22 17:29, George Haeh wrote:

Following that technique when inadvertently entering a spin turning
    base or final, the ground will likely get in the way before
    recovery.

Being congenitally afflicted with "engineer-brain," ever since I could
    afford to play the flying game I absorbed incident/accident reports for
    all the easily-grasped self-preservation reasons. I'm aware the FAA's spin-training-related policies have evolved/flipped over time, and "get"
    the various rationales pertinent to the issue. I also imagine myself to
    have a decent grasp of human nature which - IMO - is a real player in
    the big picture of departure/arrival, AOA-related, crunches (power &
    glider).

If ever there's validity in using the word "never," it's, "Kids, *never* venture into pattern-height stall-land!!!" Period. End of discussion.

My engineer brain concludes it prefers to have a *chance* of survival
    (via a more-or-less horizontal hit) vs. the alternative of
    almost-certain termination of life (via the dreaded essentially-vertical
    hit).

I "always" flew patterns with that thought actively in mind, 100%
    determined to "never go there." Worked for me.

Train as you deem personally best...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to georg...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 23 05:40:46 2022
    On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 7:29:09 PM UTC-4, georg...@gmail.com wrote:

Following that technique when inadvertently entering a spin turning base or final, the ground will likely get in the way before recovery.

Yes my friend, there is an altitude below which recover is not possible but does that mean students should not be taught recovery technique? What if they have just enough room to recover? Spin avoidance low and in the pattern should be emphasized and
    as I have said, telling someone to do something and TEACHING them to do so are not the same.

Before I started flying tow I spent several thousand dollars to get back in the saddle, enjoyed every minute of it. Flew a Cub a couple of hours, a Stearman for 5 hours, 3 hours in a Pitts S2A doing spins and acrobatics and 4 hours in a Zlin with a
    former tow pilot doing upset recovery. I only really needed those skills once in the low kiting incident but I'm glad I had them.

You might have heard that a kiting incident below 800 feet will not give the tow pilot enough room to recover. I can tell you from experience, this is not true. I cannot imagine a more severe, sudden kiting as one I encountered at about 350 feet, could
    not release, fortunately the rope broke after I retarded the throttle and I had to fight the urge to pull back on the stick before I got the wing flying again. I recovered below tree top level just above a stall and with a couple of cows scattering
    below me. I was fortunate to learn to fly from a WW2 P51 pilot whose admonition was to keep flying no matter what. Put the inputs in you need to get the outcome for which you are looking.

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Fri Sep 23 09:54:16 2022
    The FAA's position is that, if you never get into a spin, you won't have
    to recover from one. That's a great philosophy except for the poor dude
    who screws up the "prevention" part and has no recovery training to fall
    back on. I think the policy is idiotic.

As a primary student in the USAF back in 1973, we flew gobs of spins in
    the T-37, Much later while flying a T-33 and performing vertical rolls
    to zero airspeed, the aircraft departed controlled flight. I
    experienced end over end tumbles, inverted, and erect spins. Calmly
    applying the spin recovery procedures learned in the Tweet recovered the aircraft. Oh, and spins were prohibited in the T-33.

Dan
    5J

On 9/23/22 06:40, waltco...@aol.com wrote:

Yes my friend, there is an altitude below which recover is not possible but does that mean students should not be taught recovery technique? What if they have just enough room to recover? Spin avoidance low and in the pattern should be emphasized and
    as I have said, telling someone to do something and TEACHING them to do so are not the same.

Before I started flying tow I spent several thousand dollars to get back in the saddle, enjoyed every minute of it. Flew a Cub a couple of hours, a Stearman for 5 hours, 3 hours in a Pitts S2A doing spins and acrobatics and 4 hours in a Zlin with a
    former tow pilot doing upset recovery. I only really needed those skills once in the low kiting incident but I'm glad I had them.

You might have heard that a kiting incident below 800 feet will not give the tow pilot enough room to recover. I can tell you from experience, this is not true. I cannot imagine a more severe, sudden kiting as one I encountered at about 350 feet,
    could not release, fortunately the rope broke after I retarded the throttle and I had to fight the urge to pull back on the stick before I got the wing flying again. I recovered below tree top level just above a stall and with a couple of cows
    scattering below me. I was fortunate to learn to fly from a WW2 P51 pilot whose admonition was to keep flying no matter what. Put the inputs in you need to get the outcome for which you are looking.

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wes Minear@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Fri Sep 23 09:56:31 2022
    On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 11:54:22 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
    who screws up the "prevention" part and has no recovery training to fall back on. I think the policy is idiotic.

applying the spin recovery procedures learned in the Tweet recovered the aircraft. Oh, and spins were prohibited in the T-33.

Dan
    5J

You might have heard that a kiting incident below 800 feet will not give the tow pilot enough room to recover. I can tell you from experience, this is not true. I cannot imagine a more severe, sudden kiting as one I encountered at about 350 feet,
    could not release, fortunately the rope broke after I retarded the throttle and I had to fight the urge to pull back on the stick before I got the wing flying again. I recovered below tree top level just above a stall and with a couple of cows scattering
    below me. I was fortunate to learn to fly from a WW2 P51 pilot whose admonition was to keep flying no matter what. Put the inputs in you need to get the outcome for which you are looking.

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot

Dan,

You are right on target, for example in a typical club ship like an L33 at Min Sink when encountering a strong thermal the glider loves to stall and drop a wing.

At this point in the FAA's work load re-writing the standards for glider flying is not high on the workload of the FAA nor are they receiving pressure from lobbyists. If they aren't receiving pressure to change something then the best they can say is if
    you don't spin you won't spin, this is probably not an opinion coming from an experienced soaring pilot(at the FAA).

The onus of preparing people for a spin falls on the CFI. Taking a student soaring on a booming day and watching them stall and start to spin is a priceless learning moment, especially for experienced transition pilots.

Wes

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From soarsn@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 23 11:48:25 2022
    Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot

Try this link to the NTSB accident database website: https://www.ntsb.gov/Pages/monthly.aspx

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to johngf...@gmail.com on Sun Sep 25 20:11:33 2022
    On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 3:12:02 PM UTC-7, johngf...@gmail.com wrote:

Sincerely,
    Rich Owen

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot

Yeah PottyMouth Bobbie, you have to know:
    1. What year it occurred, OR
    2. Some idea where it occurred, OR
    3. The name of the manufacturer, OR
    4. The model of the aircraft, OR
    5. Some part of the name of the pilot, OR
    6. The severity of the injuries, OR
    ...Oh well, this is too much for a senile brain to handle.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Sun Sep 25 20:25:48 2022
    On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 8:54:22 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
    who screws up the "prevention" part and has no recovery training to fall back on. I think the policy is idiotic.

Dan
    5J

could not release, fortunately the rope broke after I retarded the throttle and I had to fight the urge to pull back on the stick before I got the wing flying again. I recovered below tree top level just above a stall and with a couple of cows scattering

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot

If I recall correctly, the FAA determined that more pilots were getting killed during spin training than those getting killed in actual spins. So, I did a search and found this article:
    https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/flight-schools/flight-school-business/newsletter/2014/march/21/the-spin-training-debate-rages-on-65-years-later#:~:text=(In%201991%2C%20the%20FAA%20shifted,spin%20training%20was%20not%20required.
    Basically, spin training does not help you during most real-world spins that occur in the traffic pattern.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?St=C3=A9phane_Vander_Veke@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 26 02:50:49 2022
    Le lundi 26 septembre 2022 à 05:25:50 UTC+2, 2G a écrit :
    If I recall correctly, the FAA determined that more pilots were getting killed during spin training than those getting killed in actual spins. So, I did a search and found this article:
    https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/flight-schools/flight-school-business/newsletter/2014/march/21/the-spin-training-debate-rages-on-65-years-later#:~:text=(In%201991%2C%20the%20FAA%20shifted,spin%20training%20was%20not%20required.
    Basically, spin training does not help you during most real-world spins that occur in the traffic pattern.

Tom

Right, but that concerns airplanes (with an engine - ususally, they only fly close to the stall speed when coming in for landing), and I seem to remember that spin training was maintained for sailplanes because we often fly close to the stalling speed in
    thermals for example. Having had an ASH-25 come down on me in a spin two years ago while I was thermalling (I escaped by pushing flaps and stick full forward and praying), I'm glad the pilot was able to end the spin without further problems.

I also lost a friend two months ago: he went into a spin during a winch launch. His Ka-6 did two and a half turns before crashing, so it seems he should have had enough time to stop the spin. I'm afraid his spin training was not enough for him to
    recognize the situation and react accordingly. Since the ASK-13 is no longer allowed to spin, we have no two-seater able to spin convincingly and only teach the "spin warning signs" and if possible, incipient spins. But our ASK-21 and Twin II won't spin
    at all if the front seat pilot is just a tad on the heavy side.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ido Millet@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 26 19:58:33 2022
    There is an easy way to study spin-related (and other) glider accidents.
    I used NTSB data (and my Visual CUT software) to create a web tool (interactive pivot tables & charts) for exactly this type of analysis.
    It is available here: https://www.milletsoftware.com/Data/Glider_Events.html

A 2-minute video demo of using this tool to analyze spin-related glider accidents is available here:
    https://www.milletsoftware.com/Download/Spin_Related_Glider_Accidents.mp4

Drilling-down from the table or chart displays allows you to hover over the narrative account for individual accidents and see the full text.

hth,
    - ido

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 26 21:35:26 2022
    On Sunday, September 25, 2022 at 10:11:35 PM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
    On Thursday, September 22, 2022 at 3:12:02 PM UTC-7, johngf...@gmail.com wrote:
    Seminole-Lake Gliderport sadly announces we had a fatal glider accident today. The accident will be investigated by the FAA and NTSB, an inspector was on the scene today. We do not want to identify the pilot but he was flying a Standard
    Cirrus that he owned. He was NOT in the Senior Soaring Championship. The accident occurred after a premature release by the pilot from tow at about 500 feet over the end of the runway. We recovered an Oudie and Nano (this unit was still operational) at
    the site and we expect it will greatly aid in the investigation. We ask you not call the office or come to the gliderport to view the scene. Seminole-Lake has been in the business of promoting soaring for over 50 years and this is our first fatal
    accident. Our prayers go out to the pilot's family.

Sincerely,
    Rich Owen

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    Yeah PottyMouth Bobbie, you have to know:
    1. What year it occurred, OR
    2. Some idea where it occurred, OR
    3. The name of the manufacturer, OR
    4. The model of the aircraft, OR
    5. Some part of the name of the pilot, OR
    6. The severity of the injuries, OR
    ...Oh well, this is too much for a senile brain to handle.
    The newfangled CAROL search works pretty well with limited info, but it is not at all friendly to handheld gadgets: https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-main-public/landing-page
    Otherwise paging through the monthly listings works if you have a reasonably accurate date - always interesting & informative to see what else you stumble across.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 26 21:54:04 2022
    On Monday, September 26, 2022 at 2:50:51 AM UTC-7, Stéphane Vander Veken wrote:
    Le lundi 26 septembre 2022 à 05:25:50 UTC+2, 2G a écrit :

Tom
    Right, but that concerns airplanes (with an engine - ususally, they only fly close to the stall speed when coming in for landing), and I seem to remember that spin training was maintained for sailplanes because we often fly close to the stalling speed
    in thermals for example. Having had an ASH-25 come down on me in a spin two years ago while I was thermalling (I escaped by pushing flaps and stick full forward and praying), I'm glad the pilot was able to end the spin without further problems.

I also lost a friend two months ago: he went into a spin during a winch launch. His Ka-6 did two and a half turns before crashing, so it seems he should have had enough time to stop the spin. I'm afraid his spin training was not enough for him to
    recognize the situation and react accordingly. Since the ASK-13 is no longer allowed to spin, we have no two-seater able to spin convincingly and only teach the "spin warning signs" and if possible, incipient spins. But our ASK-21 and Twin II won't spin
    at all if the front seat pilot is just a tad on the heavy side.

That is true, we still get spin training during glider training because we fly in attitudes and speeds that violate the spin avoidance mantra. But a pattern altitude spin in a glider will be just as fatal as one for an airplane.

BTW, thermally at low altitudes (that below which you can recover from a spin) must be done by experts only.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George Haeh@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 27 18:11:25 2022
    If you catch an incipient wing drop before it becomes a full spin from base or final, your survival probability will improve significantly. The next problem is avoiding wires.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to georg...@gmail.com on Wed Sep 28 05:46:22 2022
    On Tuesday, September 27, 2022 at 9:11:27 PM UTC-4, georg...@gmail.com wrote:
    If you catch an incipient wing drop before it becomes a full spin from base or final, your survival probability will improve significantly. The next problem is avoiding wires.

Catching and properly responding can be 2 different things.
    Correct automatic response needs to be opposite rudder and unload the wing. These are counter intuitive until drilled in during training and recurrent training.
    I never cease to be amazed at the number of pilots that get certificates with maybe a half a dozen flights showing stall and turn stall log book entries.
    I strongly believe training can reduce spin accidents.
    Grumpy instructor
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 28 06:17:05 2022
    In his book "After All," Gren Seibels said about spin prevention training as opposed to actual spin training, "To my way of thinking, this is like telling a class of student sailors, 'We won't bother with teaching you to swim; we'll just teach you how
    not to fall overboard.' Wouldn't someone in this misguided group raise the skeptical point, Yeah, but suppose I do?"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Galloway@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Wed Sep 28 07:09:54 2022
    On Wednesday, 28 September 2022 at 14:17:07 UTC+1, Mark Mocho wrote:
    In his book "After All," Gren Seibels said about spin prevention training as opposed to actual spin training, "To my way of thinking, this is like telling a class of student sailors, 'We won't bother with teaching you to swim; we'll just teach you how
    not to fall overboard.' Wouldn't someone in this misguided group raise the skeptical point, Yeah, but suppose I do?"

...but not that many people have accidents when they are being taught to swim so the risk/reward is strongly in favour of swim teaching. The calculation with spin training is much more nuanced depending of what type of spin training or refreshing is
    being considered. Also you can swim (or walk I guess) in any depth of water you could drown in but you can't spin-recover from every altitude you can fly in, so you can't remotely practice spin recovery from the low altitudes you are most likely to
    kill yourself from.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Agnew@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 28 10:56:24 2022
    Perhaps the crux of the airplane spin training accidents cited by the FAA is that we often had instructors that only had the minimum required spin training to get the endorsement for their CFI ride and they lacked enough experience to properly teach them.
    I once took a CFI refresher course and the indomitable "Spin Doctor", Bill Kershner, was the guest speaker. He made all of the CFIs in the room feel like they knew nothing about spins when he started talking. By the end of the day, we all felt much
    better informed on all aspects of spins and best techniques for different trainers. That level of instruction could improve the success of spin training across the board.

Alas, we have people that haven't practiced a rope break since their checkrides years or decades before, so would they want to improve their spin awareness and recovery skills?

Would a specific CFI Spin-Teaching endorsement, based on a more comprehensive training requirement, alleviate the FAA's concerns and simultaneously provide better spin instruction?

PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?St=C3=A9phane_Vander_Veke@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 2 03:34:16 2022
    Le mercredi 28 septembre 2022 à 16:09:56 UTC+2, jpg...@gmail.com a écrit :
    ...but not that many people have accidents when they are being taught to swim so the risk/reward is strongly in favour of swim teaching. The calculation with spin training is much more nuanced depending of what type of spin training or refreshing is
    being considered. Also you can swim (or walk I guess) in any depth of water you could drown in but you can't spin-recover from every altitude you can fly in, so you can't remotely practice spin recovery from the low altitudes you are most likely to kill
    yourself from.

Well, I for one almost drowned in five feet of water while learning to swim. My mother pulled me out by the (then longish - 1969!) hair...

For spin training, you can combine scenario based training ("You are seriously low in the landing pattern, so you fly a bit slower to avoid descending too much, and you make a rather flat turn to base leg, fearing to touch the trees when lowering the
    wing. And when you see that you'll likely overshoot the centerline to turn on final, you just give a hard shove on the pedal...") at a safe altitude, and some demo flights on the simulator at pattern altitude. Not perfect, but nothing is perfect in this
    world...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to Paul Agnew on Sun Oct 2 11:37:28 2022
    On Wed, 28 Sep 2022 10:56:24 -0700 (PDT), Paul Agnew wrote:

Alas, we have people that haven't practised a rope break since their checkrides years or decades before, so would they want to improve their
    spin awareness and recovery skills?

Hmmm, the club I fly at requires a session in our simulator and check
    flights at the start of the spring season every year. The latter include
    both a high tow for stalling and spinning exercises as well as towing competence checks, and at least one simulated cable break on a winch
    launch. The simulator is a great help, since it allows you to do 5 or 6
    winch launch failure exercises in an hour: if real life (TM) you'd be
    lucky to manage more than one or two per hour on an average day at our airfield.

I thought all clubs had a similar start-of-season refresher arrangement,
    no matter where they are in the world. Personally, I wouldn't want it any
    other way. To me that's no different to getting a check ride before being allowed to fly at a club you've not previously visited - which is pretty
    much SOP in the UK - and there are some fields where I'd expect a
    checkride if I hadn't been there for 2-3 years, the more so since where I
    fly is one of the flattest parts of the country: my club field, at 246ft
    AMSL, is the highest airfield in the county.

--

Martin | martin at
    Gregorie | gregorie dot org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to Martin Gregorie on Sun Oct 2 06:12:11 2022
    On Sunday, October 2, 2022 at 7:37:32 AM UTC-4, Martin Gregorie wrote:

Alas, we have people that haven't practised a rope break since their checkrides years or decades before, so would they want to improve their spin awareness and recovery skills?

Hmmm, the club I fly at requires a session in our simulator and check flights at the start of the spring season every year. The latter include both a high tow for stalling and spinning exercises as well as towing competence checks, and at least one simulated cable break on a winch
    launch. The simulator is a great help, since it allows you to do 5 or 6 winch launch failure exercises in an hour: if real life (TM) you'd be
    lucky to manage more than one or two per hour on an average day at our airfield.

no matter where they are in the world. Personally, I wouldn't want it any other way. To me that's no different to getting a check ride before being allowed to fly at a club you've not previously visited - which is pretty much SOP in the UK - and there are some fields where I'd expect a
    checkride if I hadn't been there for 2-3 years, the more so since where I fly is one of the flattest parts of the country: my club field, at 246ft AMSL, is the highest airfield in the county.

--

Martin | martin at

America is the land of independence, the right to decide your own fate even if it means taking a passenger with you.
    Darwinism and ‘Can’t save everybody’ is embodied in our Constitution. Caveat Emptor is on our money. Everything designed around keeping Lawyers in British cars…Jaguars, Aston Martins, and Bentleys.
    Martin…do you get a check ride before driving on the motorway every year? How will they know you won’t forget that right is left and never cross your horse with your Lance?
    No Martin….the only thing required in America is….
    Insurance.

H

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 2 06:21:51 2022
    On 10/2/2022 6:12 AM, R wrote:

Alas, we have people that haven't practised a rope break since their
    checkrides years or decades before, so would they want to improve their

both a high tow for stalling and spinning exercises as well as towing
    competence checks, and at least one simulated cable break on a winch
    lucky to manage more than one or two per hour on an average day at our
    airfield.

other way. To me that's no different to getting a check ride before being
    allowed to fly at a club you've not previously visited - which is pretty

--

Martin | martin at

America is the land of independence, the right to decide your own fate even if it means taking a passenger with you.
    Darwinism and ‘Can’t save everybody’ is embodied in our Constitution. Caveat Emptor is on our money. Everything designed around keeping Lawyers in British cars…Jaguars, Aston Martins, and Bentleys.
    Martin…do you get a check ride before driving on the motorway every year? How will they know you won’t forget that right is left and never cross your horse with your Lance?
    Insurance.

The FAA does require a flight check every two years, but it's rarely as thorough as
    Martin's club. I do think there aren't enough simulators in use, and I'm not aware of any
    useful ones for motorglider training.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 2 09:46:09 2022
    Got that wrong Freight Dog. Insurance is NOT required to fly in the
    Land of the Free except for driving on our roads and highways. That's
    one of the things that makes us free!

Now, if you want to be legal, you have to receive a Flight Review every
    two years in ANY aircraft in which you are qualified, Category doesn't
    matter. You can take a Flight Review in a Ka-6 and then hop in your jet
    and fly away perfectly legally.

I own and regularly fly three aircraft, each in a different Category.
    As it turns out, the Stemme is the most complex but I choose (because I
    live in the Land of the Free) to fly the airplane for a flight review
    because it is IFR equipped.

It is the club or rental operation that requires a check ride, not the
    law. If you don't want to take check rides then it's simple: Own your own.

Dan
    5J

On 10/2/22 07:12, R wrote:

checkrides years or decades before, so would they want to improve their

both a high tow for stalling and spinning exercises as well as towing
    airfield.

other way. To me that's no different to getting a check ride before being
    allowed to fly at a club you've not previously visited - which is pretty

--

Martin | martin at

Insurance.

H

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Sun Oct 2 15:32:51 2022
    On Sun, 2 Oct 2022 06:21:51 -0700, Eric Greenwell wrote:

The FAA does require a flight check every two years, but it's rarely as thorough as Martin's club. I do think there aren't enough simulators in
    use, and I'm not aware of any useful ones for motorglider training.

My club built our own simulator from the front end of a crashed G.103 and,
    IIRC Lockheed-Martin software that was derived from MS FS5.

Its has its own room in the clubhouse, with a set of five projectors above
    the 'victim's seat and five large wall screens, each around 2 x 2.5m in
    size, so the student gets around a 200 degree field of vision and isn't generally aware of eith the topor bottom edge of the screens. . Its
    instruments are images on an LCD screen behind a panel with cutouts for to match the instrument faces. Cockpit is fixed to floor, original seating
    and straps and a time-expired 'chute. All expected controls fitted and
    working - only unreal thing is that control forces are zero, which takes a little getting used to.

I think you need a similar rig if you're going to use it for flight instruction, especially for pre-solo training on unflyable days or for
    winch eventualities: it can simulate steady winds, and maybe gradient, but
    I don't think it can simulate turbulence.

We have decent quality scenery centred on our airfield and including
    enough area that any likely sim flight doesn't get near its limits. The
    large screen area means that its unsafe to run the sim with anybody in the
    room who isn't seated.

Yes, we do charge for simulator time.

--

Martin | martin at

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Sun Oct 2 09:13:41 2022
    On Sunday, October 2, 2022 at 11:46:16 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Got that wrong Freight Dog. Insurance is NOT required to fly in the
    Land of the Free except for driving on our roads and highways. That's
    one of the things that makes us free!

Now, if you want to be legal, you have to receive a Flight Review every
    two years in ANY aircraft in which you are qualified, Category doesn't matter. You can take a Flight Review in a Ka-6 and then hop in your jet
    and fly away perfectly legally.

I own and regularly fly three aircraft, each in a different Category.
    As it turns out, the Stemme is the most complex but I choose (because I
    live in the Land of the Free) to fly the airplane for a flight review because it is IFR equipped.

It is the club or rental operation that requires a check ride, not the
    law. If you don't want to take check rides then it's simple: Own your own.

Dan
    5J
    On 10/2/22 07:12, R wrote:

checkrides years or decades before, so would they want to improve their >>> spin awareness and recovery skills?

flights at the start of the spring season every year. The latter include >> both a high tow for stalling and spinning exercises as well as towing
    launch. The simulator is a great help, since it allows you to do 5 or 6 >> winch launch failure exercises in an hour: if real life (TM) you'd be
    airfield.

I thought all clubs had a similar start-of-season refresher arrangement, >> no matter where they are in the world. Personally, I wouldn't want it any >> other way. To me that's no different to getting a check ride before being >> allowed to fly at a club you've not previously visited - which is pretty >> much SOP in the UK - and there are some fields where I'd expect a
    checkride if I hadn't been there for 2-3 years, the more so since where I >> fly is one of the flattest parts of the country: my club field, at 246ft >> AMSL, is the highest airfield in the county.

--

Martin | martin at

Insurance.

H

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 2 09:17:09 2022
    Glad we agree Dano that everything else I wrote is factually correct.
    Carry on.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 2 09:45:53 2022
    "You can take a Flight Review in a Ka-6 and then hop in your jet
    and fly away perfectly legally."

Actually, not true. If you have a turbojet type rating, you must requalify each year as per FAR 61.58 to legally fly any other turbojet powered aircraft. Bob Carlton has been fighting that battle for years, along with the LOA (Letter of Authorization)
    for jet powered gliders. FAR 8130.2J includes the 61.58 recurrency check for jet gliders, but is primarily aimed at two seaters, not single seat sustainers. However, some overzealous FSDO inspectors have attempted to include the single seat sustainers.
    This interpretation is being challenged. It would all go away if the rule was made to read "turbojet powered AIRPLANE" as it was originally proposed. Somehow, when the rule was implemented, the wording changed mysteriously to "turbojet powered AIRCRAFT,"
    which includes jet gliders.

It is pretty ludicrous, in my opinion. I have two Turbojet type ratings (in the Tst-14J BonusJet and the Schempp-Hirth Arcus J) built by Desert Aerospace (Bob Carlton). The FAA was flabbergasted to find out that, although my Pilot Certificate includes
    the two experimental turbojet authorizations, the certificate also reads "PP/G," meaning "Private Pilot / Glider." That's right, two jet ratings, but no powered airplane authorization.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Sun Oct 2 11:28:43 2022
    Oops! You're right Mark. I do have a turbojet rating but, since I
    haven't flown one in over 40 years, I forgot. Sad thing about ageing!
    Should have said King Air. It's only been 22 years since I've flown one
    of those and I didn't need anything other than a check out (at
    FlightSafety International) to fly it solo with a full load of passengers.

Did Bob have to get a type rating or LOA to fly the Sub Sonex?

Dan
    5J

On 10/2/22 10:45, Mark Mocho wrote:
    "You can take a Flight Review in a Ka-6 and then hop in your jet
    and fly away perfectly legally."

Actually, not true. If you have a turbojet type rating, you must requalify each year as per FAR 61.58 to legally fly any other turbojet powered aircraft. Bob Carlton has been fighting that battle for years, along with the LOA (Letter of Authorization)
    for jet powered gliders. FAR 8130.2J includes the 61.58 recurrency check for jet gliders, but is primarily aimed at two seaters, not single seat sustainers. However, some overzealous FSDO inspectors have attempted to include the single seat sustainers.
    This interpretation is being challenged. It would all go away if the rule was made to read "turbojet powered AIRPLANE" as it was originally proposed. Somehow, when the rule was implemented, the wording changed mysteriously to "turbojet powered AIRCRAFT,"
    which includes jet gliders.

It is pretty ludicrous, in my opinion. I have two Turbojet type ratings (in the Tst-14J BonusJet and the Schempp-Hirth Arcus J) built by Desert Aerospace (Bob Carlton). The FAA was flabbergasted to find out that, although my Pilot Certificate includes
    the two experimental turbojet authorizations, the certificate also reads "PP/G," meaning "Private Pilot / Glider." That's right, two jet ratings, but no powered airplane authorization.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 2 11:24:41 2022
    Most everything else, Doggie. Except for that Caveat Emptor thing. I
    liked the thing about the horse and lance!

Dan
    5J

On 10/2/22 10:17, R wrote:
    Glad we agree Dano that everything else I wrote is factually correct.
    Carry on.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Sun Oct 2 11:14:46 2022

Yes. All SubSonex pilots need "comparable aircraft training" in something that replicates the operation requirements. Desert Aerospace offered engine familiarization training in the TsT-14J Bonusjet, since it uses the same PBS TJ-100 engine as the
    SubSonex. Comparable flight training was offered by Sonex Aircraft or the pilot could provide documentation of prior experience in similar types of aircraft. The check ride in the actual SubSonex was done by onboard video in the single seat SubSonex. The
    video was reviewed by the FAA authorized Designated Pilot Examiner to determine that required maneuvers and flight performance were properly performed. After acceptance, a LOA was issued (in most cases.) The turbojet authorization was added to the Pilot
    Certificate, if not already held by the pilot. However, turbojet authorizations are listed individually on the certificate, so the SubSonex was added to those already present. I have seen some Pilot Certificates with so many aircraft types included that
    they are multi-volume; some Pilot Certificates run to three or even four cards. And that print is pretty small!

I think this thread has drifted far enough from the Seminole Lake Accident topic to require a separate thread.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Turkey Vulture@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 3 03:54:01 2022
    Most clubs in the USA don't have the resources to offer pilots this sort of check out Martin.
    How many instructors and ships do you guys have?
    To give every pilot in your club this kind of checkout is a major undertaking. Especially, when everyone shows up on the first good soaring day looking to get "checked out".

Our club focuses more on pilots that took the winter season off for checkout. If you are flying weekly, then you just need your BFR.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Turkey Vulture@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Mon Oct 3 03:51:23 2022
    On Sunday, October 2, 2022 at 2:14:48 PM UTC-4, Mark Mocho wrote:

Yes. All SubSonex pilots need "comparable aircraft training" in something that replicates the operation requirements. Desert Aerospace offered engine familiarization training in the TsT-14J Bonusjet, since it uses the same PBS TJ-100 engine as the
    SubSonex. Comparable flight training was offered by Sonex Aircraft or the pilot could provide documentation of prior experience in similar types of aircraft. The check ride in the actual SubSonex was done by onboard video in the single seat SubSonex. The
    video was reviewed by the FAA authorized Designated Pilot Examiner to determine that required maneuvers and flight performance were properly performed. After acceptance, a LOA was issued (in most cases.) The turbojet authorization was added to the Pilot
    Certificate, if not already held by the pilot. However, turbojet authorizations are listed individually on the certificate, so the SubSonex was added to those already present. I have seen some Pilot Certificates with so many aircraft types included that
    they are multi-volume; some Pilot Certificates run to three or even four cards. And that print is pretty small!

I think this thread has drifted far enough from the Seminole Lake Accident topic to require a separate thread.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to Turkey Vulture on Mon Oct 3 12:32:33 2022
    On Mon, 3 Oct 2022 03:54:01 -0700 (PDT), Turkey Vulture wrote:

Most clubs in the USA don't have the resources to offer pilots this sort
    of check out Martin.

Around 23 instructors (members, not professionals) 2 x K21, 1 x Puchacz, 1
    x Perkoz with virtually all training using winch launches.

To give every pilot in your club this kind of checkout is a major undertaking. Especially, when everyone shows up on the first good
    soaring day looking to get "checked out".

Its an annual check, done BEFORE the start of decent soaring weather so we avoid the 'first good day' rush. Also, I suspect this annual checkout
    approach to flight safety is more common outside the US of A than you
    realise.

Our club focuses more on pilots that took the winter season off for
    checkout.

The end of winter is the obvious time for checkouts.

If you are flying weekly, then you just need your BFR.

Indeed, though I'll take a check ride if I haven't flown for 4 weeks.

--

Martin | martin at

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waremark@21:1/5 to Martin Gregorie on Sat Oct 8 12:13:37 2022
    On Monday, 3 October 2022 at 13:32:54 UTC+1, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    On Mon, 3 Oct 2022 03:54:01 -0700 (PDT), Turkey Vulture wrote:

Most clubs in the USA don't have the resources to offer pilots this sort of check out Martin.

Around 23 instructors (members, not professionals) 2 x K21, 1 x Puchacz, 1
    x Perkoz with virtually all training using winch launches.
    To give every pilot in your club this kind of checkout is a major undertaking. Especially, when everyone shows up on the first good
    soaring day looking to get "checked out".

Its an annual check, done BEFORE the start of decent soaring weather so we avoid the 'first good day' rush. Also, I suspect this annual checkout approach to flight safety is more common outside the US of A than you realise.
    Our club focuses more on pilots that took the winter season off for checkout.

The end of winter is the obvious time for checkouts.
    If you are flying weekly, then you just need your BFR.

Indeed, though I'll take a check ride if I haven't flown for 4 weeks.
    --

Martin | martin at

The approach Martin describes is not universal in the UK. My club which is of a similar size and not far away does not require any annual check or refresher for pilots proposing to launch by aerotow (which is a large proportion of pilots who own their
    own gliders). An annual session is required for those wishing to launch by winch, focused on safe winch launching including recovery from launch failures. To maintain currency under a new UK licensing system requires two flights with an instructor within
    the last 24 months - the flight could be a 3 minute winch launch circuit.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05