• PowerFlarm installation in Certified Gliders

From Richard Pfiffner@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 16 07:30:01 2022
    I had a inquiry:

I need some advice in installing Power FLARM in my certified HpH304 CZ. So far I’ve had 2 A&Ps reluctant to sign off on the install. Folks keep telling me different stories of how it’s acceptable to install PF in a certified glider without A&P
    approval. I realize FLARM is mandatory under EASA but that doesn’t translate well here in the USA.

The last recommendation I’d gotten from most recent A&P is that he might be able to install PF if the manufacturer’s TECH NOTES are available and had been used by another A&P to sign off the PF install.

Any thoughts on this issue

Richard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From jfitch@21:1/5 to Richard Pfiffner on Fri Sep 16 10:04:20 2022
    I'm a bit surprised at this, but perhaps shouldn't be in this litigious society. I thought that PF radiates power only on free bands and below the license limit (around 100 mW). The cell phone in your pocket radiates far more power than that, yet doesn't
    require A&P approval to carry it and no one thinks twice. What is the reasoning for those A&Ps reluctance?

On Friday, September 16, 2022 at 7:30:03 AM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
    I had a inquiry:

I need some advice in installing Power FLARM in my certified HpH304 CZ. So far I’ve had 2 A&Ps reluctant to sign off on the install. Folks keep telling me different stories of how it’s acceptable to install PF in a certified glider without A&P
    approval. I realize FLARM is mandatory under EASA but that doesn’t translate well here in the USA.

The last recommendation I’d gotten from most recent A&P is that he might be able to install PF if the manufacturer’s TECH NOTES are available and had been used by another A&P to sign off the PF install.

Richard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roy B.@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 16 10:14:20 2022
    Richard:
    It should not come as a surprise that A&Ps are reluctant to work on things they were not trained on or knowledgeable about. I suggest that you tell us the geographic area where the glider/pilot are located and then have this list suggest A&Ps who are
    glider pilots or who are at least knowledgeable about glider related equipment. ROY

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Richard Pfiffner@21:1/5 to Roy B. on Fri Sep 16 12:04:13 2022
    On Friday, September 16, 2022 at 10:14:22 AM UTC-7, Roy B. wrote:
    Richard:
    It should not come as a surprise that A&Ps are reluctant to work on things they were not trained on or knowledgeable about. I suggest that you tell us the geographic area where the glider/pilot are located and then have this list suggest A&Ps who are
    glider pilots or who are at least knowledgeable about glider related equipment.
    ROY
    Connecticut is the state.

Richard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Darryl Ramm@21:1/5 to Richard Pfiffner on Fri Sep 16 12:52:40 2022
    On Friday, September 16, 2022 at 12:04:15 PM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
    On Friday, September 16, 2022 at 10:14:22 AM UTC-7, Roy B. wrote:
    Richard:
    glider pilots or who are at least knowledgeable about glider related equipment.
    ROY
    Connecticut is the state.

Richard

The answer as given to the owner involved is to find an A&P who knows what they are doing with gliders. And he's been given some contacts. If an A&P is so lost like this WTF might they do wrong touching a glider.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Gibbons@21:1/5 to handb9802@gmail.com on Fri Sep 16 15:26:37 2022
    On Fri, 16 Sep 2022 07:30:01 -0700 (PDT), Richard Pfiffner <handb9802@gmail.com> wrote:

I had a inquiry:

Richard

Texas Soaring Assoc has PowerFlarm installed in all 10 club owned
    gliders (std type certified) and 3 Pawnee towplanes.

This is what we put in our ships logbooks;

PowerFlarm installed per PowerFlarm Core Installation Manual
    FTD-033 No appreciable changes to weight & balance resulting from
    installation.
    Date: 3/02/2014

Bob

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
    www.avg.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charles Longley@21:1/5 to Bob Gibbons on Fri Sep 16 18:18:25 2022
    On Friday, September 16, 2022 at 1:26:38 PM UTC-7, Bob Gibbons wrote:
    On Fri, 16 Sep 2022 07:30:01 -0700 (PDT), Richard Pfiffner <hand...@gmail.com> wrote:

I had a inquiry:

Richard

FTD-033 No appreciable changes to weight & balance resulting from installation.

Bob

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software. www.avg.com
    Get a new A&P familiar with gliders.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to kuzi...@gmail.com on Sat Sep 17 11:19:44 2022
    On Friday, September 16, 2022 at 9:18:27 PM UTC-4, kuzi...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, September 16, 2022 at 1:26:38 PM UTC-7, Bob Gibbons wrote:
    On Fri, 16 Sep 2022 07:30:01 -0700 (PDT), Richard Pfiffner <hand...@gmail.com> wrote:

I had a inquiry:

Richard

FTD-033 No appreciable changes to weight & balance resulting from installation.

Bob

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software. www.avg.com
    Get a new A&P familiar with gliders.
    If by "PowerFlarm" you mean the discontinued portable unit, velcro & go! Not part of the aircraft...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From krasw@21:1/5 to Richard Pfiffner on Sun Sep 18 04:44:34 2022
    On Friday, 16 September 2022 at 17:30:03 UTC+3, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
    I realize FLARM is mandatory under EASA but that doesn’t translate well here in the USA.

It certainly is not.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Galloway@21:1/5 to krasw on Sun Sep 18 09:04:32 2022
    On Sunday, 18 September 2022 at 12:44:36 UTC+1, krasw wrote:
    I realize FLARM is mandatory under EASA but that doesn’t translate well here in the USA.
    It certainly is not.

.... but it was made mandatory in France from 1st March 2013 for gliders and motor-gliders.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Godfrey@21:1/5 to jpg...@gmail.com on Sun Sep 18 13:09:52 2022
    On Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 12:04:34 PM UTC-4, jpg...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, 18 September 2022 at 12:44:36 UTC+1, krasw wrote:
    It certainly is not.
    .... but it was made mandatory in France from 1st March 2013 for gliders and motor-gliders.
    As I understand it, EASA approval is reciprocal with the USA.
    So the MCA below should help. https://flarm.com/shop/easa-minor-change-approval-mca-for-powerflarm-fusion/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 18 17:28:42 2022

When I was fighting with the FAA over the Pegase 101 life limit, I brought up the "Bilateral Aviation Safety Agreement," which supposedly provides reciprocal recognition of aircraft certification, equipment and so on. I was "informed" by the FAA that
    they "don't pay much attention to that" at the Small Aircraft Directorate. Apparently, the FAA outranks the State Department. Beware the "petty tyranny of the bureaucracy."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Whiteley@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Sun Sep 18 19:26:51 2022
    On Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 6:28:45 PM UTC-6, Mark Mocho wrote:
    When I was fighting with the FAA over the Pegase 101 life limit, I brought up the "Bilateral Aviation Safety Agreement," which supposedly provides reciprocal recognition of aircraft certification, equipment and so on. I was "informed" by the FAA that
    they "don't pay much attention to that" at the Small Aircraft Directorate. Apparently, the FAA outranks the State Department. Beware the "petty tyranny of the bureaucracy."
    If reciprocity were honored, the SZD-54 would hold a US Type-Certificate.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05