• Solar panels for thermals.

From Simon Worrall@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 14 04:06:48 2022
    Hi.
    I read in a NATURE article about the "heat island" effect of solar arrays, where they run quite a lot hotter than the surrounding land, and I was interested to know if anybody was using these things as a reliable source of lift?
    Related to this, they are building a gigantic solar array at the end of the runway at Christchurch Airport, and I wonder if the resulting thermals would result in a bumpy - or even unsafe - take off or landing.

Thanks
    Simon.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Moshe Braner@21:1/5 to Simon Worrall on Wed Sep 14 08:55:58 2022
    On 9/14/2022 7:06 AM, Simon Worrall wrote:
    Hi.
    I read in a NATURE article about the "heat island" effect of solar arrays, where they run quite a lot hotter than the surrounding land, and I was interested to know if anybody was using these things as a reliable source of lift?
    Related to this, they are building a gigantic solar array at the end of the runway at Christchurch Airport, and I wonder if the resulting thermals would result in a bumpy - or even unsafe - take off or landing.

Thanks
    Simon.

There was discussion here before about this. A solar array would be
    hotter than a forest. But there is nothing about solar panels that
    makes them heat up in the sun more than other dark dry objects such as
    pavement or buildings. If anything, whatever part (15% or so) of the
    solar energy that the panels turn into electricity is SUBTRACTED from
    their heating up - that energy is sent elsewhere.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 14 06:22:10 2022
    There is a large multi-acre solar field a couple of miles west of the Moriarty Airport. I have been cruising over it on informal "tests" to see whether there is any appreciable change in lift (or sink). I haven't noticed anything different from
    surrounding terrain, but the reflection of the sun can be more than just distracting. "Blinding" is a better description when the sun's angle matches the panel array and I am in the wrong place. One reason I suspect that the dark solar panels don't
    generate much of a thermal is that they are raised above the ground surface, leaving the soil in shadow and allowing air to freely flow around the panels without heating up very much. And since the panels do not have much mass compared to the unshaded
    ground, little energy is transferred to the airmass by convection. The sun heats the ground, the ground heats the air and when enough heat is absorbed, the air expands and rises. The solar array does not appear to transfer sufficient heat for thermal
    generation. More research is needed. I am going to propose that some of our local pilots make a point to cruise over the array and maybe we can make some valid conclusions about lift/sink presence from their flight traces.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 14 09:36:55 2022
    SSBoYXZlbid0IG5vdGljZWQgYW55IGV4dHJhIGJ1bXBzIHdoaWxlIGZseWluZyBvdmVyIHRo ZSBzb2xhciBwYW5lbHMgYXQgDQp2ZXJ5IGxvdyBhbHRpdHVkZXMgaW4gbXkgZ3lyby4NCg0K RGFuDQo1Sg0KDQpPbiA5LzE0LzIyIDA3OjIyLCBNYXJrIE1vY2hvIHdyb3RlOg0KPiBUaGVy ZSBpcyBhIGxhcmdlIG11bHRpLWFjcmUgc29sYXIgZmllbGQgYSBjb3VwbGUgb2YgbWlsZXMg d2VzdCBvZiB0aGUgTW9yaWFydHkgQWlycG9ydC4gSSBoYXZlIGJlZW4gY3J1aXNpbmcgb3Zl ciBpdCBvbiBpbmZvcm1hbCAidGVzdHMiIHRvIHNlZSB3aGV0aGVyIHRoZXJlIGlzIGFueSBh cHByZWNpYWJsZSBjaGFuZ2UgaW4gbGlmdCAob3Igc2luaykuIEkgaGF2ZW4ndCBub3RpY2Vk IGFueXRoaW5nIGRpZmZlcmVudCBmcm9tIHN1cnJvdW5kaW5nIHRlcnJhaW4sIGJ1dCB0aGUg cmVmbGVjdGlvbiBvZiB0aGUgc3VuIGNhbiBiZSBtb3JlIHRoYW4ganVzdCBkaXN0cmFjdGlu Zy4gIkJsaW5kaW5nIiBpcyBhIGJldHRlciBkZXNjcmlwdGlvbiB3aGVuIHRoZSBzdW4ncyBh bmdsZSBtYXRjaGVzIHRoZSBwYW5lbCBhcnJheSBhbmQgSSBhbSBpbiB0aGUgd3JvbmcgcGxh Y2UuIE9uZSByZWFzb24gSSBzdXNwZWN0IHRoYXQgdGhlIGRhcmsgc29sYXIgcGFuZWxzIGRv bid0IGdlbmVyYXRlIG11Y2ggb2YgYSB0aGVybWFsIGlzIHRoYXQgdGhleSBhcmUgcmFpc2Vk IGFib3ZlIHRoZSBncm91bmQgc3VyZmFjZSwgbGVhdmluZyB0aGUgc29pbCBpbiBzaGFkb3cg YW5kIGFsbG93aW5nIGFpciB0byBmcmVlbHkgZmxvdyBhcm91bmQgdGhlIHBhbmVscyB3aXRo b3V0IGhlYXRpbmcgdXAgdmVyeSBtdWNoLiBBbmQgc2luY2UgdGhlIHBhbmVscyBkbyBub3Qg aGF2ZSBtdWNoIG1hc3MgY29tcGFyZWQgdG8gdGhlIHVuc2hhZGVkIGdyb3VuZCwgbGl0dGxl IGVuZXJneSBpcyB0cmFuc2ZlcnJlZCB0byB0aGUgYWlybWFzcyBieSBjb252ZWN0aW9uLiBU aGUgc3VuIGhlYXRzIHRoZSBncm91bmQsIHRoZSBncm91bmQgaGVhdHMgdGhlIGFpciBhbmQg d2hlbiBlbm91Z2ggaGVhdCBpcyBhYnNvcmJlZCwgdGhlIGFpciBleHBhbmRzIGFuZCByaXNl cy4gVGhlIHNvbGFyIGFycmF5IGRvZXMgbm90IGFwcGVhciB0byB0cmFuc2ZlciBzdWZmaWNp ZW50IGhlYXQgZm9yIHRoZXJtYWwgZ2VuZXJhdGlvbi4gTW9yZSByZXNlYXJjaCBpcyBuZWVk ZWQuIEkgYW0gZ29pbmcgdG8gcHJvcG9zZSB0aGF0IHNvbWUgb2Ygb3VyIGxvY2FsIHBpbG90 cyBtYWtlIGEgcG9pbnQgdG8gY3J1aXNlIG92ZXIgdGhlIGFycmF5IGFuZCBtYXliZSB3ZSBj YW4gbWFrZSBzb21lIHZhbGlkIGNvbmNsdXNpb25zIGFib3V0IGxpZnQvc2luayBwcmVzZW5j ZSBmcm9tIHRoZWlyIGZsaWdodCB0cmFjZXMuDQo=

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Agnew@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 14 10:37:58 2022
    The relative albedo between the surrounding vegetation and the panels can make a big difference. I've found the solar farm south of New Hibiscus to be a reliable source for a moderate thermal, though bubbly at times. It's surrounded by green vegetation,
    so it has a significant difference in albedo.

In the other thread, there was discussion about the lack of any sigificant difference in Uvalde over a solar farm and someone pointed out this albedo concept. It's worth looking it up for your edification.

PA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Wed Sep 14 17:34:40 2022
    On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 09:36:55 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:

I haven't noticed any extra bumps while flying over the solar panels at
    very low altitudes in my gyro.

Dan 5J

On 9/14/22 07:22, Mark Mocho wrote:
    There is a large multi-acre solar field a couple of miles west of the
    Moriarty Airport. I have been cruising over it on informal "tests" to
    see whether there is any appreciable change in lift (or sink). I
    haven't noticed anything different from surrounding terrain, but the
    reflection of the sun can be more than just distracting. "Blinding" is
    a better description when the sun's angle matches the panel array and I
    am in the wrong place. One reason I suspect that the dark solar panels
    don't generate much of a thermal is that they are raised above the
    ground surface, leaving the soil in shadow and allowing air to freely
    flow around the panels without heating up very much. And since the
    panels do not have much mass compared to the unshaded ground, little
    energy is transferred to the airmass by convection. The sun heats the
    ground, the ground heats the air and when enough heat is absorbed, the
    air expands and rises. The solar array does not appear to transfer
    sufficient heat for thermal generation. More research is needed. I am
    going to propose that some of our local pilots make a point to cruise
    over the array and maybe we can make some valid conclusions about
    lift/sink presence from their flight traces.

IIRC solar panel output is reduced as the panel temperature rises, so its
    in the solar farm owner's interest to design the panel's mountings to keep
    them as cool as possible. That seems to be one reason why there's interest
    in using floats to support solar panels on water storage ponds/lakes. Its
    seen as a win/win situation: the solar panels are kept cool and water loss
    by evaporation from the pond is reduced.

--

Martin | martin at
    Gregorie | gregorie dot org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to cindyh...@gmail.com on Wed Sep 14 15:56:20 2022
    On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 7:06:50 AM UTC-4, cindyh...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hi.

Thanks
    Simon.
    Simon, great topic! I fly in an area that is projected to be the largest solar array in the USA within a short period of time. As I flew today I noticed a couple thousand more acres being prepared for solar panels. At this time we are within a very short
    distance of possibly one thousand acres of solar fields. On any day I work thermals over those panels and at times it can become very good. There is a good bit of information written about this and you may want to read, Heat Transfer In Photovoltic
    Panels", written by Gomez at Lund University in Sweden. He specifically writes about wind generated heat from conductive panels and radioactive heat produced from the panels. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wallace Berry@21:1/5 to cindyh...@gmail.com on Wed Sep 14 19:31:23 2022
    On Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 6:06:50 AM UTC-5, cindyh...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hi.

Thanks
    Simon.

My home field, Butler, Georgia, USA, is adjacent to several large photovoltaic farms. A couple of these are over 4000' per side. We haven't seen any correlation between the solar panels and locations of thermals.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Thu Sep 15 12:48:28 2022
    On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 15:56:20 -0700 (PDT), youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:

radioactive heat produced from the panels. Old Bob, The Purist

Really? Are these solar panels mounted on a nuclear power plant or a spent uranium waste dump?

--

Martin | martin at
    Gregorie | gregorie dot org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Martin Gregorie on Thu Sep 15 06:37:53 2022
    On 9/15/2022 5:48 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:

Really? Are these solar panels mounted on a nuclear power plant or a spent uranium waste dump?

I think Towed Bob was a victim of auto-correct (radiation changed to radioactive) and
    insufficient review of his writing; regardless, the paper gave no hint of solar panel heat
    on thermal production that I could find.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Thu Sep 15 08:17:42 2022
    On Thursday, September 15, 2022 at 9:38:01 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:

I think Towed Bob was a victim of auto-correct (radiation changed to radioactive) and
    insufficient review of his writing; regardless, the paper gave no hint of solar panel heat

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications
    Thanks for the correction Eric, I should have stated hear radiation created by the panels. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Thu Sep 15 11:07:33 2022
    On Thursday, September 15, 2022 at 11:17:45 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:

Really? Are these solar panels mounted on a nuclear power plant or a spent
    uranium waste dump?

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications
    Thanks for the correction Eric, I should have stated hear radiation created by the panels. Old Bob, The Purist
    Heat radiation, only the second mistake that I have ever made, better record than the late Rush Limbaugh. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bruce@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Thu Sep 15 11:39:13 2022
    On Thursday, September 15, 2022 at 11:07:35 AM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Thursday, September 15, 2022 at 11:17:45 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:

uranium waste dump?

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    Heat radiation, only the second mistake that I have ever made, better record than the late Rush Limbaugh. OBTP
    Switching from hip waders to chest waders!! :-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roy B.@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 15 15:49:59 2022
    Funny coincidence about this string. Last week I was flying near Palo Verde AZ and observed a very large dust devil form right in the middle of a solar array. It looked like the solar panels were on fire and smoking. I agree with most of Mark M's
    comments - but would add that sometimes the panels act to suppress the buoyancy of the warmer air below them - much like the large leaves on cornstalks can do. So - you can get pretty strong thermals over them when they pop -even if they are not too
    frequent.
    Roy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 18 10:01:29 2022
    On Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 9:42:40 AM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
    On Thursday, September 15, 2022 at 11:07:35 AM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:

uranium waste dump?

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    You also misspelled "voltaic":
    Heat Transfer In Photovoltic Panels", written by Gomez https://www.lth.se/fileadmin/ht/Kurser/MVK160/2009_reports/Gonzalo_calero.pdf.pdf

Tom

Unfortunately that article is purely theoretical and gives no guidance whatsoever to what the real-world coefficients are (PottyMouth Bobbie probably doesn't care). Here is an article that is far more practical (and the equations are readable!):
    "Roof-mounted photovoltaic generator temperature modeling based on common brazil materials"
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/357627841_Roof-mounted_photovoltaic_generator_temperatue_modeling_based_on_common_brazil_roofing_materials/link/631211865eed5e4bd13e28b0/download

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sun Sep 18 09:42:38 2022

uranium waste dump?

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Heat Transfer In Photovoltic Panels", written by Gomez https://www.lth.se/fileadmin/ht/Kurser/MVK160/2009_reports/Gonzalo_calero.pdf.pdf

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 18 13:23:47 2022
    On Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 1:01:31 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:

uranium waste dump?

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Tom
    Unfortunately that article is purely theoretical and gives no guidance whatsoever to what the real-world coefficients are (PottyMouth Bobbie probably doesn't care). Here is an article that is far more practical (and the equations are readable!):
    "Roof-mounted photovoltaic generator temperature modeling based on common brazil materials"
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/357627841_Roof-mounted_photovoltaic_generator_temperatue_modeling_based_on_common_brazil_roofing_materials/link/631211865eed5e4bd13e28b0/download

Tom
    Dickhead, the article and equations seem much more relevant than you, if you could offer any better theory please post it. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sun Sep 18 14:10:35 2022
    On Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 1:23:49 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, September 18, 2022 at 1:01:31 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:

radioactive heat produced from the panels. Old Bob, The Purist >>
    uranium waste dump?

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Tom

Tom
    Dickhead, the article and equations seem much more relevant than you, if you could offer any better theory please post it. Old Bob, The Purist

MY MY! PottyMouth Bobbie has BLOWN HIS TOP yet again!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05