• FS: Brake drums for older Cobra trailer

From Hartley Falbaum@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 7 07:47:37 2022
    Drums removed from older Cobra trailer for ASW24B. About 1985 vintage. The drums are 4 Bolt, 100mm bolt circle. The drums were removed and replaced with new, as they were scored due to brake shoes debonding. The scoring was about 0.010" deep on right,
    less on left. The Al-Ko company would not give information about maximum material removal, and insisted on replacement.
    I was able to accurately set them up on my Clausing lathe with a new Bison chuck. Concentric and true within 0.001" total runout. Nice finish with a carbide boring bar. Scores on left were removed with a 0.005" depth of cut. On right, it required 2
    passes of 0.005" each.
    It took a year and a half working through Wings and Wheels and Al-Ko to get the new drums. Inner diameter is 6.304"
    Price for new drums was $189 each. Sell for $99 each, you pay shipping.. Pictures and Identifying numbers on request.
    Hartley Falbaum
    hfalbaum....at....comcast.net

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Hartley Falbaum@21:1/5 to Hartley Falbaum on Wed Sep 7 09:04:11 2022
    On Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 10:47:39 AM UTC-4, Hartley Falbaum wrote:
    Drums removed from older Cobra trailer for ASW24B. About 1985 vintage. The drums are 4 Bolt, 100mm bolt circle. The drums were removed and replaced with new, as they were scored due to brake shoes debonding. The scoring was about 0.010" deep on right,
    less on left. The Al-Ko company would not give information about maximum material removal, and insisted on replacement.
    I was able to accurately set them up on my Clausing lathe with a new Bison chuck. Concentric and true within 0.001" total runout. Nice finish with a carbide boring bar. Scores on left were removed with a 0.005" depth of cut. On right, it required 2
    passes of 0.005" each.
    It took a year and a half working through Wings and Wheels and Al-Ko to get the new drums. Inner diameter is 6.304"
    Price for new drums was $189 each. Sell for $99 each, you pay shipping.. Pictures and Identifying numbers on request.
    Hartley Falbaum

Ooops!
    Meant to mention I wish to sell as a pair. Old bearings (still good as far as I can tell) included, full of grease for corrosion protection>

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Hartley Falbaum on Wed Sep 7 12:26:50 2022
    passes of 0.005" each.
    Hartley Falbaum
    Hartley, you should have checked the local junk yards or Ebay for Opel car brake parts, that is what some trailers used. used.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hartley Falbaum@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 9 16:06:43 2022
    On Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 3:26:52 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    passes of 0.005" each.
    Hartley Falbaum
    Hartley, you should have checked the local junk yards or Ebay for Opel car brake parts, that is what some trailers used. used.

Thanks Bob! I really appreciate your input.
    Do you have a specific model Opel that fits? All I have found at salvage yards and eBay are the wrong size. Several dimensions must be
    met precisely for the 2 tapered roller bearings and drum size to work.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Hartley Falbaum on Fri Sep 9 17:31:45 2022
    On Friday, September 9, 2022 at 7:06:45 PM UTC-4, Hartley Falbaum wrote:
    On Wednesday, September 7, 2022 at 3:26:52 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Drums removed from older Cobra trailer for ASW24B. About 1985 vintage. The drums are 4 Bolt, 100mm bolt circle. The drums were removed and replaced with new, as they were scored due to brake shoes debonding. The scoring was about 0.010" deep on
    right, less on left. The Al-Ko company would not give information about maximum material removal, and insisted on replacement.
    passes of 0.005" each.
    Hartley Falbaum
    Thanks Bob! I really appreciate your input.
    Do you have a specific model Opel that fits? All I have found at salvage yards and eBay are the wrong size. Several dimensions must be
    met precisely for the 2 tapered roller bearings and drum size to work.
    Hartley, I went through the same problem many years ago and I was able to find out that there was a specific OPEL wheel assembly that was used on both Komet and Cobra trailers. I will try and find out a bit more info, You may try the old model Opel GT I
    think that the GT model comes to mind. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05