• Question on US contests

From skandbbg@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 2 08:18:05 2022
    Hi all..I'm a Europe based pilot and I'm just curious as to why US contests don't use soaringspot - I know the underlying scoring software is not free - but it makes it easier and more convenient for the tracking websites (soarscore, glideandseek etc..)
    to overlay tasks/classes etc..It's really just a honest question, I am not lobbying for anyone. Thanks, Alex

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Ron Gleason@21:1/5 to skan...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 2 10:34:43 2022
    On Friday, 2 September 2022 at 09:18:07 UTC-6, skan...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hi all..I'm a Europe based pilot and I'm just curious as to why US contests don't use soaringspot - I know the underlying scoring software is not free - but it makes it easier and more convenient for the tracking websites (soarscore, glideandseek etc..)
    to overlay tasks/classes etc..It's really just a honest question, I am not lobbying for anyone. Thanks, Alex
    Alex, the SSA sanctioned contests are scored with a proprietary software program called WINSCORE. There is no interface to soaring spot within WINSCORE.

There is an experiment, in it;'s second year, to utilize FAI scoring and rules for the national events within the US but WINSCORE is still being utilized as the FAI scoring formula were implemented. In 2021 a few SSA contests were scored with both
    WINSCORE and SeeYou competition but this has not been carried forward for 2022.

I have been encouraging scorers for SSA contests to at least define a contest on soaringspot to be able to upload tasks etc but it has not being done.

Change is hard, especially for gliders pilots within the US.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From whir@tilde.club@21:1/5 to Ron Gleason on Mon Nov 21 16:07:36 2022
    As the youngsters say nowadays — this.

On 2022-09-02, Ron Gleason <xcflying@gmail.com> wrote:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jfitch@21:1/5 to wh...@tilde.club on Mon Nov 21 08:28:25 2022
    On Monday, November 21, 2022 at 8:07:39 AM UTC-8, wh...@tilde.club wrote:
    As the youngsters say nowadays — this.

On 2022-09-02, Ron Gleason <xcfl...@gmail.com> wrote:
    A couple of years ago we tried to use soaringspot for a contest in California. We could not make it work, multiple bugs, and emails to Naviter were answered with (paraphrasing): "work it out on your own, we aren't interested in helping". In addition, it
    requires on-line access which is poor at many western soaring sites.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05