• US Club Class Nationals

From Ron Gleason@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 30 14:54:45 2022
    Task tracking via OGN receivers

8/30/22 - https://glidertracker.org/#tsk=https://pastebin.com/raw/FZVLE46h

I will try to post each day, if I can seethe task definition, but am leaving for Canada on Saturday.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Bob Caldwell (BC)@21:1/5 to Ron Gleason on Wed Aug 31 10:15:08 2022
    On Tuesday, August 30, 2022 at 3:54:46 PM UTC-6, Ron Gleason wrote:

I will try to post each day, if I can seethe task definition, but am leaving for Canada on Saturday.
    Does anyone know what happened yesterday? Mass land outs and airspace violations. Wow.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 31 10:54:26 2022
    Still ‘unofficial’….give it time to sort out those who did from those who didn’t contact ATC. Most likely a mess.
    R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AS@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 31 10:48:53 2022
    On Wednesday, August 31, 2022 at 1:15:10 PM UTC-4, Bob Caldwell (BC) wrote:

Does anyone know what happened yesterday? Mass land outs and airspace violations. Wow.

Must have been one heck of a strange day. One contestant even landed out at ABQ Sun-Port with the proper ATC clearance but even then, it would be automatically scored as an airspace violation.

Uli
    'AS'

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Leonard@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 31 11:41:04 2022
    On Wednesday, August 31, 2022 at 11:15:10 AM UTC-6, Bob Caldwell (BC) wrote:

Lots of OD and a second leg along the mountains next to the ABQ Class C. Class C top there is 9400 ft, so not hard to be over it, legal by FAA rules, but by US contest rules that area is as forbidden as the actual Class C and gets the errant pilot the "
    contest death penalty".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Carris@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 31 13:02:49 2022
    On Wednesday, August 31, 2022 at 1:19:01 PM UTC-6, Javelin 77 wrote:
    On Wednesday, August 31, 2022 at 1:54:27 PM UTC-4, R wrote:
    Still ‘unofficial’….give it time to sort out those who did from those who didn’t contact ATC. Most likely a mess.
    R
    Does contacting ATC avoid the penalty? I was under the impression entering airspace creates the penalty regardless. Thus, as far as scoring goes, who contacted ATC and who didn't shouldn't matter.

For those interested.

The Moriarty tracker has the current task and radar to watch as the drama unfolds.

http://moriartytracking.us/cmap.htm?fbclid=IwAR3IO8cHAMFtI6rYp81iJperj1s1qkWo89pSdsp5vNe8cUxdr9MTa65gARY

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Javelin 77@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 31 12:18:59 2022
    R

Does contacting ATC avoid the penalty? I was under the impression entering airspace creates the penalty regardless. Thus, as far as scoring goes, who contacted ATC and who didn't shouldn't matter.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ron Gleason@21:1/5 to rs15...@gmail.com on Wed Aug 31 13:37:48 2022
    On Wednesday, 31 August 2022 at 14:02:51 UTC-6, rs15...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, August 31, 2022 at 1:19:01 PM UTC-6, Javelin 77 wrote:
    R
    For those interested.

The Moriarty tracker has the current task and radar to watch as the drama unfolds.

http://moriartytracking.us/cmap.htm?fbclid=IwAR3IO8cHAMFtI6rYp81iJperj1s1qkWo89pSdsp5vNe8cUxdr9MTa65gARY
    2022-08-31 task overlaid on OGN tracking

https://glidertracker.org/#tsk=https://pastebin.com/raw/sAeSrpdQ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 31 13:38:06 2022
    On 8/31/2022 10:48 AM, AS wrote:
    On Wednesday, August 31, 2022 at 1:15:10 PM UTC-4, Bob Caldwell (BC) wrote:

8/30/22 - https://glidertracker.org/#tsk=https://pastebin.com/raw/FZVLE46h >>>

Must have been one heck of a strange day. One contestant even landed out at ABQ Sun-Port with the proper ATC clearance but even then, it would be automatically scored as an airspace violation.

Uli
    'AS'
    I'm told large thunderstorms made for extremely difficult XC flying, and most everyone was
    very glad they found a safe place to land. Look at the Tuesday Moriarty area, using
    Skysight Sat View, and you will see the storms they had.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 31 14:33:13 2022
    On Wednesday, August 31, 2022 at 3:19:01 PM UTC-4, Javelin 77 wrote:
    R

Correct- the pilot may not enter closed airspace. Penalty is all daily points plus 100.
    Airspace violations are heavily frowned upon as they lead to the potential for Big Brother to come down on all of us.
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 31 18:02:02 2022
    Wow….how depressing. Been there, done that and I got one word…..Fck, fck, fck, fck,….
    Apparently, the limitations of Sunport airspace was not discussed at the mandatory meeting.
    Several veterans were delusional to reality on this subject.
    Hard to believe.
    Harder to accept.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Leonard@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 31 22:40:02 2022
    Just something for the RC to consider. I think I see three that landed at Sunport. Pretty sure all have transponders, and I have no doubt all talked with approach. Probably even before entering the airspace. For those three, they did not enter that
    airspace to gain a competitive advantage. They did it to do the safe thing. Land at an airport. Remember when the landing bonus was added, to encourage landing at an airport, rather than gliding on to try and get a bit more distance?

As I understand it, the reason for the airspace being closed is transponders are required to enter it, and they are not required by the rules, so having a transponder would give you an "unfair advantage" over someone who doesn't have one. We encourage
    going to an airport, rather than landing out in a field, by giving you extra points if you do so. Why not permit entry to this airspace for landing purposes (if you enter and don't land there, you still get "Contest Death", even if you are in contact
    with the controller of that airspace.), with the flight scored to the point of entry?

Something for the Pilot Opinion Poll in the Fall?

For what it is worth,

Steve Leonard
    No horse in this race or dog in this fight

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Godfrey@21:1/5 to Steve Leonard on Thu Sep 1 06:46:07 2022
    On Thursday, September 1, 2022 at 1:40:04 AM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
    Just something for the RC to consider. I think I see three that landed at Sunport. Pretty sure all have transponders, and I have no doubt all talked with approach. Probably even before entering the airspace. For those three, they did not enter that
    airspace to gain a competitive advantage. They did it to do the safe thing. Land at an airport. Remember when the landing bonus was added, to encourage landing at an airport, rather than gliding on to try and get a bit more distance?

As I understand it, the reason for the airspace being closed is transponders are required to enter it, and they are not required by the rules, so having a transponder would give you an "unfair advantage" over someone who doesn't have one. We encourage
    going to an airport, rather than landing out in a field, by giving you extra points if you do so. Why not permit entry to this airspace for landing purposes (if you enter and don't land there, you still get "Contest Death", even if you are in contact
    with the controller of that airspace.), with the flight scored to the point of entry?

For what it is worth,

Steve Leonard
    I don't see this as a practical thing for a scorer to sort out.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to John Godfrey on Thu Sep 1 07:03:54 2022
    On 9/1/2022 6:46 AM, John Godfrey wrote:

For what it is worth,

Steve Leonard

How about "landing" the pilot at the entry point to the airspace, and no airport bonus?
    How is a motorglider scored if it starts it's motor, then enters the airspace? And if it
    lands at the airport in the airspace?

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Godfrey@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Thu Sep 1 07:10:24 2022
    On Thursday, September 1, 2022 at 10:03:59 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On 9/1/2022 6:46 AM, John Godfrey wrote:

As I understand it, the reason for the airspace being closed is transponders are required to enter it, and they are not required by the rules, so having a transponder would give you an "unfair advantage" over someone who doesn't have one. We
    encourage going to an airport, rather than landing out in a field, by giving you extra points if you do so. Why not permit entry to this airspace for landing purposes (if you enter and don't land there, you still get "Contest Death", even if you are in
    contact with the controller of that airspace.), with the flight scored to the point of entry?

For what it is worth,

Steve Leonard
    How about "landing" the pilot at the entry point to the airspace, and no airport bonus?
    How is a motorglider scored if it starts it's motor, then enters the airspace? And if it
    lands at the airport in the airspace?
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications
    This is the method used in standard FAI rules. However, historically (far back) the SSA BOD (not the RC) has mandated the much more draconian approach currently in the rules. I would expect that if there is blowback form the FAA on these incursions that
    the BOD posture will endure. Hopefully the affecte pilots quickly file NASA reports.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Richard Pfiffner@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 1 07:43:56 2022
    Introduction to the SSA/FAI Competition Rules

12.2.5.5 Failure to submit flight documentation (¶ 10.9.2.1.2, ¶ 11.2.2.1): penalty = 100
    12.2.5.6 Serious Airspace clearance violation (¶ 10.11.3): penalty = 100 + loss of all daily points

Introduction to the 2022 SSA Competition Rules

12.2.5.5 Failure to submit flight documentation (¶ 10.9.2.1.2, ¶ 11.2.2.1): penalty = 100
    12.2.5.6 Serious Airspace clearance violation (¶ 10.11.3): penalty = 100 + loss of all daily points

Richard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Richard Pfiffner on Thu Sep 1 08:06:59 2022
    On Thursday, September 1, 2022 at 10:43:58 AM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
    Introduction to the SSA/FAI Competition Rules

Introduction to the 2022 SSA Competition Rules

Richard
    Richard, a mere slap on the hand! As one famous song by Bob Dylan, The Times They Are A Changing, some people better wise up! Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Leonard@21:1/5 to quebec...@gmail.com on Thu Sep 1 09:53:03 2022
    On Thursday, September 1, 2022 at 8:46:09 AM UTC-5, quebec...@gmail.com wrote:

Not today, not at this contest, John. Something to consider for a future rules change. Sorting is simple. Enter the airspace and continue on, as is now or some change if desired. Enter the airspace and land on the airport, no penalty, forward
    progress as is defined now, airport bonus. Scorer has ability to over-ride this "death" penalty now, but that would be a violation of the rules as they currently stand. I don't "think" it would be a big issue to sort out. But, I don't know how the
    program is written. And it is not like this happens every day, but it has now happened. And it may be that the decision is made to leave the rules alone. But, I know that you currently have some people with a very strong opinion on it!

Steve Leonard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Lee@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 1 13:49:25 2022
    This is a terribly unjust event and I feel bad for the pilots involved.

For those non-contest pilots asking questions and making comments, here’s the deal.
    During contests, pilots have to abide by SSA airspace rules. That airspace includes some airspace below Class A, B, and C, and all of the airspace inside and above Class C and B. These airspace “extensions” are to protect us from ourselves, and
    ostensibly protect the soaring community from the FAA by creating buffer zones above and below some airspaces, but not others (such as Class D). Violations of this SSA airspace results in a zero for the day plus 100 penalty points. A pilot can violate
    the SSA airspace but not be in violation of FAA airspace and regulations. Anyone who enters the SSA airspace, either before or after an engine start, gets the penalty. Anyone who enters the airspace, even with a transponder and with permission from the
    controlling agency, gets the penalty.
    BTW, flying into a Class D airspace is penalty free, even if the pilot violates the FAR’s by not contacting the controlling agency. Doesn’t sound fair does it?

In this case, one pilot nicked the SSA airspace (but not the FAA airspace) with half a turn, and received the penalty. Three other pilots flew to the ABQ Sunport and landed legally to avoid a field landout and to avoid weather (as I understand it).
    They made the safe call and are now penalized for that. There are no NASA reports necessary because no FAR’s were violated.

Violating airspace FAR’s during a contest should not only be frowned upon, the penalty should be even higher than the current penalty. Maybe even ejection from the contest. If that is not enough to show the FAA that we mean business (staying legal),
    what is? Certainly not some arbitrary buffer zone that the FAA knows nothing about.

And whether or not a rule should be instituted or not based on how hard it would be for the scorekeeper should not be a determining factor either. Scorekeepers get paid so well that I’m sure they wouldn’t mind a little extra work. :)

Losing a contest through unjust penalty points after spending thousands of dollars to travel and attend that contest and take time off from work, due to violating SSA airspace is not right. It can have further repercussions such as making it onto the US
    Team or not. It is not a minor slap on the hand to receive this penalty, it is a huge loss. This subject should not only be on the pilot opinion poll, but we should lobby hard to the competition committee as well. It is time for our airspace penalties
    to align with FAA airspace instead of SSA arbitrary airspace. (BTW, is there a listing of all of the Committee Board Members somewhere on the SSA website? I can't find it).

We legally fly over, under, and through the Reno Class C all of the time. The controllers are always very helpful, and even bend over backwards for glider pilots. The rules we fly under during a contest should be the same.

Good luck to all the pilots in Moriarty!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to Jim Lee on Thu Sep 1 14:30:15 2022
    On Thursday, September 1, 2022 at 4:49:28 PM UTC-4, Jim Lee wrote:

For those non-contest pilots asking questions and making comments, here’s the deal.
    During contests, pilots have to abide by SSA airspace rules. That airspace includes some airspace below Class A, B, and C, and all of the airspace inside and above Class C and B. These airspace “extensions” are to protect us from ourselves, and
    ostensibly protect the soaring community from the FAA by creating buffer zones above and below some airspaces, but not others (such as Class D). Violations of this SSA airspace results in a zero for the day plus 100 penalty points. A pilot can violate
    the SSA airspace but not be in violation of FAA airspace and regulations. Anyone who enters the SSA airspace, either before or after an engine start, gets the penalty. Anyone who enters the airspace, even with a transponder and with permission from the
    BTW, flying into a Class D airspace is penalty free, even if the pilot violates the FAR’s by not contacting the controlling agency. Doesn’t sound fair does it?

In this case, one pilot nicked the SSA airspace (but not the FAA airspace) with half a turn, and received the penalty. Three other pilots flew to the ABQ Sunport and landed legally to avoid a field landout and to avoid weather (as I understand it).
    They made the safe call and are now penalized for that. There are no NASA reports necessary because no FAR’s were violated.

Violating airspace FAR’s during a contest should not only be frowned upon, the penalty should be even higher than the current penalty. Maybe even ejection from the contest. If that is not enough to show the FAA that we mean business (staying legal),
    what is? Certainly not some arbitrary buffer zone that the FAA knows nothing about.

And whether or not a rule should be instituted or not based on how hard it would be for the scorekeeper should not be a determining factor either. Scorekeepers get paid so well that I’m sure they wouldn’t mind a little extra work. :)

Losing a contest through unjust penalty points after spending thousands of dollars to travel and attend that contest and take time off from work, due to violating SSA airspace is not right. It can have further repercussions such as making it onto the
    US Team or not. It is not a minor slap on the hand to receive this penalty, it is a huge loss. This subject should not only be on the pilot opinion poll, but we should lobby hard to the competition committee as well. It is time for our airspace penalties
    to align with FAA airspace instead of SSA arbitrary airspace. (BTW, is there a listing of all of the Committee Board Members somewhere on the SSA website? I can't find it).

We legally fly over, under, and through the Reno Class C all of the time. The controllers are always very helpful, and even bend over backwards for glider pilots. The rules we fly under during a contest should be the same.

If the pilot who had one fix in the "SSA airspace" in the vertical he would get a 25 point penalty for a minor violation.
    Horizontal violations no longer have a minor. One fix in and you have the major penalty.
    I would be surprised if any of the pilots in this national contest don't have flight computers that can display airspace and provide warnings.
    I landed out in the WGC avoiding airspace. Sometimes, unfortunately that is what we have to do.
    At least the pain came on a low scoring day.
    Flying over C in a contest and expecting a controller to deal with numerous pilots who fall into their airspace, even if equipped with transponders, would be nuts.
    The pilots who legally entered C did so presumably understanding that they were making a safety choice and sacrificing score.
    Hopefully the weather will improve and they can have some fun.
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Jim Lee on Thu Sep 1 16:00:21 2022

Losing a contest through unjust penalty points after spending thousands of dollars to travel and attend that contest and take time off from work, due to violating SSA airspace is not right. It can have further repercussions such as making it onto the
    US Team or not. It is not a minor slap on the hand to receive this penalty, it is a huge loss. This subject should not only be on the pilot opinion poll, but we should lobby hard to the competition committee as well. It is time for our airspace penalties

Jim, I will take the opportunity to opine on the subject although I am not one of the contest pilots, yet a pilot that has been questioned and brought to the carpet about FAR airspace, because of contest pilots decisions to ignore airspace that creates
    havoc for the entire soaring community. You certainly covered that topic in your response to the thread when you stated that there is no excuse for violation of airspace given the technical data aboard such gliders that identify airspace whether it be a
    restricted area , or any class of airspace.
    As you stated the violation of airspace should not be frowned upon, if there is a penalty it should be much greater, yet again I am not a contest guy, but on the ugly end of some very direct questions from you know who. Come back and see us soon. Old Bob,
    The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Jim Lee on Thu Sep 1 16:36:42 2022
    On 9/1/2022 1:49 PM, Jim Lee wrote:

US Team or not. It is not a minor slap on the hand to receive this penalty, it is a huge loss. This subject should not only be on the pilot opinion poll, but we should lobby hard to the competition committee as well. It is time for our airspace
    penalties to align with FAA airspace instead of SSA arbitrary airspace. (BTW, is there a listing of all of the Committee Board Members somewhere on the SSA website? I can't find it).

I recall one reason for not allowing contest pilots to use B & C airspace is the chance
    that controllers would allow some gliders to enter the airspace, but others might be
    refused, perhaps because of workload or the controller's priorities at the time they tried
    to enter. I don't know if that concept still holds.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Godfrey@21:1/5 to Hank Nixon on Thu Sep 1 17:32:13 2022
    On Thursday, September 1, 2022 at 5:30:16 PM UTC-4, Hank Nixon wrote:

If the pilot who had one fix in the "SSA airspace" in the vertical he would get a 25 point penalty for a minor violation.
    Horizontal violations no longer have a minor. One fix in and you have the major penalty.
    I would be surprised if any of the pilots in this national contest don't have flight computers that can display airspace and provide warnings.
    I landed out in the WGC avoiding airspace. Sometimes, unfortunately that is what we have to do.
    Flying over C in a contest and expecting a controller to deal with numerous pilots who fall into their airspace, even if equipped with transponders, would be nuts.
    The pilots who legally entered C did so presumably understanding that they were making a safety choice and sacrificing score.
    UH
    "If the pilot who had one fix in the "SSA airspace" in the vertical he would get a 25 point penalty for a minor violation."
    This is not true. It is a major violation (maybe shouln't be)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Godfrey@21:1/5 to John Godfrey on Thu Sep 1 17:47:16 2022
    On Thursday, September 1, 2022 at 8:32:14 PM UTC-4, John Godfrey wrote:

Violating airspace FAR’s during a contest should not only be frowned upon, the penalty should be even higher than the current penalty. Maybe even ejection from the contest. If that is not enough to show the FAA that we mean business (staying
    legal), what is? Certainly not some arbitrary buffer zone that the FAA knows nothing about.

Losing a contest through unjust penalty points after spending thousands of dollars to travel and attend that contest and take time off from work, due to violating SSA airspace is not right. It can have further repercussions such as making it onto
    the US Team or not. It is not a minor slap on the hand to receive this penalty, it is a huge loss. This subject should not only be on the pilot opinion poll, but we should lobby hard to the competition committee as well. It is time for our airspace
    penalties to align with FAA airspace instead of SSA arbitrary airspace. (BTW, is there a listing of all of the Committee Board Members somewhere on the SSA website? I can't find it).

UH
    "If the pilot who had one fix in the "SSA airspace" in the vertical he would get a 25 point penalty for a minor violation."
    Let me clarify. In the USA the airspace above classes B, C, R, P is also forbidden. Entering that airspace is a major airspace penalty (loss of all daily points an additionaly a 100 point penalty).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to quebec...@gmail.com on Sat Sep 3 05:39:02 2022
    On Thursday, September 1, 2022 at 8:47:18 PM UTC-4, quebec...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Thursday, September 1, 2022 at 8:32:14 PM UTC-4, John Godfrey wrote:

During contests, pilots have to abide by SSA airspace rules. That airspace includes some airspace below Class A, B, and C, and all of the airspace inside and above Class C and B. These airspace “extensions” are to protect us from ourselves,
    and ostensibly protect the soaring community from the FAA by creating buffer zones above and below some airspaces, but not others (such as Class D). Violations of this SSA airspace results in a zero for the day plus 100 penalty points. A pilot can
    violate the SSA airspace but not be in violation of FAA airspace and regulations. Anyone who enters the SSA airspace, either before or after an engine start, gets the penalty. Anyone who enters the airspace, even with a transponder and with permission
    from the controlling agency, gets the penalty.

In this case, one pilot nicked the SSA airspace (but not the FAA airspace) with half a turn, and received the penalty. Three other pilots flew to the ABQ Sunport and landed legally to avoid a field landout and to avoid weather (as I understand it)
    . They made the safe call and are now penalized for that. There are no NASA reports necessary because no FAR’s were violated.

Violating airspace FAR’s during a contest should not only be frowned upon, the penalty should be even higher than the current penalty. Maybe even ejection from the contest. If that is not enough to show the FAA that we mean business (staying
    legal), what is? Certainly not some arbitrary buffer zone that the FAA knows nothing about.

Losing a contest through unjust penalty points after spending thousands of dollars to travel and attend that contest and take time off from work, due to violating SSA airspace is not right. It can have further repercussions such as making it onto
    the US Team or not. It is not a minor slap on the hand to receive this penalty, it is a huge loss. This subject should not only be on the pilot opinion poll, but we should lobby hard to the competition committee as well. It is time for our airspace

UH
    Let me clarify. In the USA the airspace above classes B, C, R, P is also forbidden. Entering that airspace is a major airspace penalty (loss of all daily points an additionaly a 100 point penalty).

UH comment was based upon reading10.11.3.2. I should have clarified that minor could occur from proximity below closed airspace in the vertical. Above is always a major.
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Richard Pfiffner@21:1/5 to All on Sat Sep 3 09:01:38 2022
    Good reading.

Aviation Safety and Reporting System (ASRS) form.

https://pilotworkshop.com/tips/nasa-form-1221/

If you have not filed this report you may want to within 10 days of the incident.

Anyone who made an airspace ADS-b incursion should read the above link to avoid penalties for noncompliance.

Richard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Glenn Betzoldt@21:1/5 to Richard Pfiffner on Mon Sep 5 11:11:30 2022
    On Saturday, September 3, 2022 at 12:01:40 PM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
    Good reading.

If you have not filed this report you may want to within 10 days of the incident.

Anyone who made an airspace ADS-b incursion should read the above link to avoid penalties for noncompliance.

Richard

A recap by David McMaster
    Club Class Day 5
    Today I got to experience first hand the weather conditions that these pilots had to fly in, and itwas certainly tricky. It stayed relatively cool until around 1300, which led to a rather pleasant grid squat but also meant that the thermals were weak and
    underdeveloped. An appropriately ambitious Task A called for a 350k racing task triangle but as the day took longer and longer to develop there was less of a
    chance for this racing task. Somewhere during the launch they switched to Task B which was a shorter 311k racing polygon. All day the thermals were choppy, undeveloped,weak, and relatively low for thegiven terrain and landing options; in short the
    weather was less than what I would have considered adequate for such a task into the mountains. Many contestants felt the same way as about 1/3 of the
    fleet either neglected to start the task, made their way to the first point then returned home or made the first turn then decided to not continue on task and returned home. Out of the 24 pilots only 4 managed their way around the course. I myself had
    the opportunity to fly around in an Arcus and even in that I do not think that I would have wanted to give this task a go not to mention anything in the club class fleet. Overall today was a low point day but still gave a good mix up on the score sheet
    with 5 more
    days of flying left there is plenty of time for contestants to climb, or fall, on the standings.

David McMaster

This what I would call unacceptable for a National Contest. The day should be tossed out. They are trying to make carnage. I hope Costelo doesn't look at these reports as
    to what's going on.
    GB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Carris@21:1/5 to Glenn Betzoldt on Mon Sep 5 12:18:46 2022
    On Monday, September 5, 2022 at 12:11:32 PM UTC-6, Glenn Betzoldt wrote:
    Good reading.

Richard
    Club Class Day 5
    Today I got to experience first hand the weather conditions that these pilots had to fly in, and itwas certainly tricky. It stayed relatively cool until around 1300, which led to a rather pleasant grid squat but also meant that the thermals were weak
    and underdeveloped. An appropriately ambitious Task A called for a 350k racing task triangle but as the day took longer and longer to develop there was less of a
    chance for this racing task. Somewhere during the launch they switched to Task B which was a shorter 311k racing polygon. All day the thermals were choppy, undeveloped,weak, and relatively low for thegiven terrain and landing options; in short the
    weather was less than what I would have considered adequate for such a task into the mountains. Many contestants felt the same way as about 1/3 of the
    fleet either neglected to start the task, made their way to the first point then returned home or made the first turn then decided to not continue on task and returned home. Out of the 24 pilots only 4 managed their way around the course. I myself had
    the opportunity to fly around in an Arcus and even in that I do not think that I would have wanted to give this task a go not to mention anything in the club class fleet. Overall today was a low point day but still gave a good mix up on the score sheet
    with 5 more
    days of flying left there is plenty of time for contestants to climb, or fall, on the standings.

David McMaster

This what I would call unacceptable for a National Contest. The day should be tossed out. They are trying to make carnage. I hope Costelo doesn't look at these reports as to what's going on.
    GB

I suggest you look up the meanings of "carnage" and "slander"

Mike Carris.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Glenn Betzoldt@21:1/5 to rs15...@gmail.com on Mon Sep 5 12:46:20 2022
    On Monday, September 5, 2022 at 3:18:48 PM UTC-4, rs15...@gmail.com wrote:
    Good reading.

Richard
    Club Class Day 5
    Today I got to experience first hand the weather conditions that these pilots had to fly in, and itwas certainly tricky. It stayed relatively cool until around 1300, which led to a rather pleasant grid squat but also meant that the thermals were weak
    and underdeveloped. An appropriately ambitious Task A called for a 350k racing task triangle but as the day took longer and longer to develop there was less of a
    fleet either neglected to start the task, made their way to the first point then returned home or made the first turn then decided to not continue on task and returned home. Out of the 24 pilots only 4 managed their way around the course. I myself
    had the opportunity to fly around in an Arcus and even in that I do not think that I would have wanted to give this task a go not to mention anything in the club class fleet. Overall today was a low point day but still gave a good mix up on the score
    sheet with 5 more

David McMaster

This what I would call unacceptable for a National Contest. The day should be tossed out. They are trying to make carnage. I hope Costelo doesn't look at these reports as to what's going on.
    GB

Mike Carris.

Mike your right I should have said Junk instead of carnage.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charles Longley@21:1/5 to Glenn Betzoldt on Mon Sep 5 19:14:52 2022
    On Monday, September 5, 2022 at 12:46:22 PM UTC-7, Glenn Betzoldt wrote:
    Good reading.

Richard
    Club Class Day 5
    Today I got to experience first hand the weather conditions that these pilots had to fly in, and itwas certainly tricky. It stayed relatively cool until around 1300, which led to a rather pleasant grid squat but also meant that the thermals were
    weak and underdeveloped. An appropriately ambitious Task A called for a 350k racing task triangle but as the day took longer and longer to develop there was less of a
    fleet either neglected to start the task, made their way to the first point then returned home or made the first turn then decided to not continue on task and returned home. Out of the 24 pilots only 4 managed their way around the course. I myself
    had the opportunity to fly around in an Arcus and even in that I do not think that I would have wanted to give this task a go not to mention anything in the club class fleet. Overall today was a low point day but still gave a good mix up on the score
    sheet with 5 more

David McMaster

GB

Mike Carris.
    I am curious is there any difference between Club and Sports class in the US?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Carris@21:1/5 to kuzi...@gmail.com on Mon Sep 5 22:35:10 2022
    On Monday, September 5, 2022 at 8:14:53 PM UTC-6, kuzi...@gmail.com wrote:
    Good reading.

Richard
    Club Class Day 5
    Today I got to experience first hand the weather conditions that these pilots had to fly in, and itwas certainly tricky. It stayed relatively cool until around 1300, which led to a rather pleasant grid squat but also meant that the thermals were
    weak and underdeveloped. An appropriately ambitious Task A called for a 350k racing task triangle but as the day took longer and longer to develop there was less of a
    chance for this racing task. Somewhere during the launch they switched to Task B which was a shorter 311k racing polygon. All day the thermals were choppy, undeveloped,weak, and relatively low for thegiven terrain and landing options; in short
    the weather was less than what I would have considered adequate for such a task into the mountains. Many contestants felt the same way as about 1/3 of the
    fleet either neglected to start the task, made their way to the first point then returned home or made the first turn then decided to not continue on task and returned home. Out of the 24 pilots only 4 managed their way around the course. I
    myself had the opportunity to fly around in an Arcus and even in that I do not think that I would have wanted to give this task a go not to mention anything in the club class fleet. Overall today was a low point day but still gave a good mix up on the
    score sheet with 5 more

David McMaster

GB

Mike Carris.

Hi Charles,

The USA Sports Class is more inclusive of sailplane models and has an extended handicap range. For example you can fly a Schweizer 1-26, DuckHawk and ASG32 in Sports Class.

Mike Carris

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charles Longley@21:1/5 to rs15...@gmail.com on Mon Sep 5 22:58:33 2022
    On Monday, September 5, 2022 at 10:35:12 PM UTC-7, rs15...@gmail.com wrote:
    Good reading.

Richard
    Club Class Day 5
    Today I got to experience first hand the weather conditions that these pilots had to fly in, and itwas certainly tricky. It stayed relatively cool until around 1300, which led to a rather pleasant grid squat but also meant that the thermals
    were weak and underdeveloped. An appropriately ambitious Task A called for a 350k racing task triangle but as the day took longer and longer to develop there was less of a
    chance for this racing task. Somewhere during the launch they switched to Task B which was a shorter 311k racing polygon. All day the thermals were choppy, undeveloped,weak, and relatively low for thegiven terrain and landing options; in short
    the weather was less than what I would have considered adequate for such a task into the mountains. Many contestants felt the same way as about 1/3 of the
    fleet either neglected to start the task, made their way to the first point then returned home or made the first turn then decided to not continue on task and returned home. Out of the 24 pilots only 4 managed their way around the course. I
    myself had the opportunity to fly around in an Arcus and even in that I do not think that I would have wanted to give this task a go not to mention anything in the club class fleet. Overall today was a low point day but still gave a good mix up on the
    score sheet with 5 more

David McMaster

GB

Mike Carris.
    Hi Charles,

The USA Sports Class is more inclusive of sailplane models and has an extended handicap range. For example you can fly a Schweizer 1-26, DuckHawk and ASG32 in Sports Class.

Mike Carris
    Yeah I got beat by a KA-6 one day and a Libelle another day at Region 8 this year in the sports class. I fly an ASW-20. Would that be competitive at a national club class competition? I am new to racing. Do they have national sports class competitions
    or just Club class?

Thanks,
    Charlie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Carris@21:1/5 to kuzi...@gmail.com on Mon Sep 5 23:05:21 2022
    On Monday, September 5, 2022 at 11:58:35 PM UTC-6, kuzi...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, September 5, 2022 at 10:35:12 PM UTC-7, rs15...@gmail.com wrote:
    Good reading.

Richard
    Club Class Day 5
    Today I got to experience first hand the weather conditions that these pilots had to fly in, and itwas certainly tricky. It stayed relatively cool until around 1300, which led to a rather pleasant grid squat but also meant that the thermals
    were weak and underdeveloped. An appropriately ambitious Task A called for a 350k racing task triangle but as the day took longer and longer to develop there was less of a
    chance for this racing task. Somewhere during the launch they switched to Task B which was a shorter 311k racing polygon. All day the thermals were choppy, undeveloped,weak, and relatively low for thegiven terrain and landing options; in
    short the weather was less than what I would have considered adequate for such a task into the mountains. Many contestants felt the same way as about 1/3 of the
    score sheet with 5 more

David McMaster

GB

Mike Carris.
    Hi Charles,

Mike Carris
    Yeah I got beat by a KA-6 one day and a Libelle another day at Region 8 this year in the sports class. I fly an ASW-20. Would that be competitive at a national club class competition? I am new to racing. Do they have national sports class competitions
    or just Club class?

Thanks,
    Charlie

Charlie,

If you log in to the SSA website you can see a history of Club Class and Sports Class National Contests , who was flying and what they were flying.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05