• Screw LX Nav connect

From Nicholas Kennedy@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 24 19:11:26 2022
    Gents
    Good Evening
    After a normal day of life, in the evening, in my lazy boy, I really like to look on the OLC and see what's up.
    I really like the comment section like today my friend BC's comments flying out of Boulder Colorado describing his awesome flight.
    Too Often now days the Comment section just says " Uploaded with LX Nav Connect"
    This sucks, Bad, for all of us stuck on the ground like chipmunks running around trying to make a living.
    TG has great comments BUT sometimes " Uploaded with LX Nav Connect.
    Jim Lee same thing.
    Alot of the hotshots I look up to.
    At Least CX Bob Faris doesn't seem to have the plague and. still comments, even if's it like " Not so hot, windy" Something. Anything is good
    Come on you skygods please comment more!
    Nick
    T

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Nicholas Kennedy on Wed Aug 24 20:33:36 2022
    On 8/24/2022 7:11 PM, Nicholas Kennedy wrote:
    Gents
    Good Evening
    After a normal day of life, in the evening, in my lazy boy, I really like to look on the OLC and see what's up.
    I really like the comment section like today my friend BC's comments flying out of Boulder Colorado describing his awesome flight.
    Too Often now days the Comment section just says " Uploaded with LX Nav Connect"
    This sucks, Bad, for all of us stuck on the ground like chipmunks running around trying to make a living.
    Jim Lee same thing.
    At Least CX Bob Faris doesn't seem to have the plague and. still comments, even if's it like " Not so hot, windy" Something. Anything is good
    Nick
    T
    I usually skip over the ones where OLC reports "comment containing four words", because
    "Uploaded via LXNAV Connect" is boring and uninformative. I usually click on the ones with
    more words, and always on the ones with pictures.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Godfrey@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Thu Aug 25 06:10:09 2022
    On Wednesday, August 24, 2022 at 11:33:42 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    Gents
    Good Evening
    Jim Lee same thing.
    Nick
    T
    I usually skip over the ones where OLC reports "comment containing four words", because
    "Uploaded via LXNAV Connect" is boring and uninformative. I usually click on the ones with

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications
    There is nothing (save for pilot motivation) that prevents a pilot from adding comments to flight someting after an automatic (and very convenient) upload via LX Nav Connect. Using the automatic upload ensures that you don't miss the upload deadline
    should you get distracted after the flight.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matthew Scutter@21:1/5 to quebec...@gmail.com on Thu Aug 25 07:08:05 2022
    On Thursday, August 25, 2022 at 2:10:12 PM UTC+1, quebec...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, August 24, 2022 at 11:33:42 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    Gents
    Good Evening
    Jim Lee same thing.
    Nick
    T

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications
    There is nothing (save for pilot motivation) that prevents a pilot from adding comments to flight someting after an automatic (and very convenient) upload via LX Nav Connect. Using the automatic upload ensures that you don't miss the upload deadline

It is slightly annoying though in that when browsing OLC/WeGlide it looks like a flight has a comment, and I often click open a flight to see what the pilot had to say only to discover the comment is just "Uploaded with LXNAV Connect".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 25 07:48:54 2022
    When I look at flights on OLC, there is a "comment" icon that is either a light gray or black. The light gray seems to indicate the automatic "Uploaded with LXNAV Connect" comment, while the black icon indicates an actual comment from the pilot. Note
    that a flight uploaded with LXNAV Connect can be subsequently edited by the pilot to include a more detailed comment, turning the icon to black. I treat the gray icon the same as no icon, as there is no useful information. However, I instead look at the
    numbers for distance, speed and/or OLC points to decide whether I want to click on the flight to learn more about what was achieved. It's nice if there is a comment, but it's kind of like a caption under a photograph: the picture is still there for
    observation, but some photographs simply do not require captioning. Think of a photo of two ducks mating: Do you really need a caption that says "******* Ducks?"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Matthew Scutter on Thu Aug 25 07:29:52 2022
    On 8/25/2022 7:08 AM, Matthew Scutter wrote:
    On Thursday, August 25, 2022 at 2:10:12 PM UTC+1, quebec...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, August 24, 2022 at 11:33:42 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote: >>> On 8/24/2022 7:11 PM, Nicholas Kennedy wrote:
    Gents
    Good Evening
    Jim Lee same thing.
    Nick
    T

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

It is slightly annoying though in that when browsing OLC/WeGlide it looks like a flight has a comment, and I often click open a flight to see what the pilot had to say only to discover the comment is just "Uploaded with LXNAV Connect".

The OLC currently treats "Uploaded with LXNAV Connect" as a comment, even though it isn't
    a comment by the pilot and has no value to people looking at flights. I suggest they
    ignore it, and don't give that flight a "comment" flag.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Thu Aug 25 08:56:43 2022
    On 8/25/2022 7:48 AM, Mark Mocho wrote:
    When I look at flights on OLC, there is a "comment" icon that is either a light gray or black. The light gray seems to indicate the automatic "Uploaded with LXNAV Connect" comment, while the black icon indicates an actual comment from the pilot. Note
    that a flight uploaded with LXNAV Connect can be subsequently edited by the pilot to include a more detailed comment, turning the icon to black. I treat the gray icon the same as no icon, as there is no useful information. However, I instead look at the
    numbers for distance, speed and/or OLC points to decide whether I want to click on the flight to learn more about what was achieved. It's nice if there is a comment, but it's kind of like a caption under a photograph: the picture is still there for
    observation, but some photographs simply do not require captioning. Think of a photo of two ducks mating: Do you really need a caption that says "******* Ducks?"

Somewhere between 13 and 15 words, the comment icon changes from gray to black, so it is
    possible to have short pilot comment with a grey icon, but you don't miss many by sticking
    with black icons.

Maybe the OLC could send the pilot a text message when the pilot doesn't add one,
    encouraging him to add a comment to the flight by replying to the text.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Thu Aug 25 18:47:23 2022
    Bet'cha the pilot can make a simple change to the LXNav configuration to
    remove that silly comment.

As said above, it's a great convenience for some pilots to have it done automagically. It's just a annoyance for us to read it.

Dan
    5J

On 8/25/22 08:29, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On 8/25/2022 7:08 AM, Matthew Scutter wrote:
    On Thursday, August 25, 2022 at 2:10:12 PM UTC+1, quebec...@gmail.com
    wrote:
    On Wednesday, August 24, 2022 at 11:33:42 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell
    wrote:
    Gents
    Good Evening
    After a normal day of life, in the evening, in my lazy boy, I
    really like to look on the OLC and see what's up.
    I really like the comment section like today my friend BC's
    comments flying out of Boulder Colorado describing his awesome flight. >>>>> Too Often now days the Comment section just says " Uploaded with LX
    Nav Connect"
    This sucks, Bad, for all of us stuck on the ground like chipmunks
    running around trying to make a living.
    Jim Lee same thing.
    At Least CX Bob Faris doesn't seem to have the plague and. still
    comments, even if's it like " Not so hot, windy" Something.
    Anything is good
    Nick
    T
    I usually skip over the ones where OLC reports "comment containing
    four words", because
    "Uploaded via LXNAV Connect" is boring and uninformative. I usually
    click on the ones with

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    There is nothing (save for pilot motivation) that prevents a pilot
    from adding comments to flight someting after an automatic (and very
    convenient) upload via LX Nav Connect. Using the automatic upload
    ensures that you don't miss the upload deadline should you get
    distracted after the flight.

It is slightly annoying though in that when browsing OLC/WeGlide it
    looks like a flight has a comment, and I often click open a flight to
    see what the pilot had to say only to discover the comment is just
    "Uploaded with LXNAV Connect".

The OLC currently treats "Uploaded with LXNAV Connect" as a comment,
    even though it isn't a comment by the pilot and has no value to people looking at flights. I suggest they ignore it, and don't give that flight
    a "comment" flag.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Thu Aug 25 18:44:28 2022
    Is that like the emails that have the closing line: "Sent from my
    iPhone"? Like I give a shit.

Dan
    5J

On 8/24/22 21:33, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    Gents
    Good Evening
    After a normal day of life, in the evening, in my lazy boy, I really
    like to look on the OLC and see what's up.
    I really like the comment section like today my friend BC's comments
    flying out of Boulder Colorado describing his awesome flight.
    Too Often now days the Comment section just says " Uploaded with LX
    Nav Connect"
    This sucks, Bad, for all of us stuck on the ground like chipmunks
    running around trying to make a living.
    Jim Lee same thing.
    At Least CX Bob Faris doesn't seem to have the plague and. still
    comments, even if's it like " Not so hot, windy" Something. Anything
    is good
    Nick
    T
    I usually skip over the ones where OLC reports "comment containing four words", because "Uploaded via LXNAV Connect" is boring and
    uninformative. I usually click on the ones with more words, and always
    on the ones with pictures.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ramy@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Thu Aug 25 23:34:10 2022
    As Mark said. If it’s gray there is likely no comment other than the auto upload comment.
    I always edit my flight later in the evening from the comfort of my iPad/computer, so if you want to see my comment, come back later.
    My comments tend to be a bit lengthy, as I use OLC also as my personal log book.
    While we on the subject, I also always adjust my release point since OLC doesn’t recognize release correctly anymore 90% of the time. This impact distance, points and speed.
    I also automatically upload to weglide but rarely check my entries or add comments.

Ramy

On Thursday, August 25, 2022 at 8:56:50 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    Somewhere between 13 and 15 words, the comment icon changes from gray to black, so it is
    possible to have short pilot comment with a grey icon, but you don't miss many by sticking
    with black icons.

Maybe the OLC could send the pilot a text message when the pilot doesn't add one,
    --
    Eric Greenwell - USA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nicholas Kennedy@21:1/5 to Ramy on Sat Mar 11 17:20:46 2023
    On Friday, August 26, 2022 at 12:34:12 AM UTC-6, Ramy wrote:
    As Mark said. If it’s gray there is likely no comment other than the auto upload comment.
    I always edit my flight later in the evening from the comfort of my iPad/computer, so if you want to see my comment, come back later.
    My comments tend to be a bit lengthy, as I use OLC also as my personal log book.
    While we on the subject, I also always adjust my release point since OLC doesn’t recognize release correctly anymore 90% of the time. This impact distance, points and speed.
    I also automatically upload to weglide but rarely check my entries or add comments.

Ramy
    On Thursday, August 25, 2022 at 8:56:50 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    When I look at flights on OLC, there is a "comment" icon that is either a light gray or black. The light gray seems to indicate the automatic "Uploaded with LXNAV Connect" comment, while the black icon indicates an actual comment from the pilot.
    Note that a flight uploaded with LXNAV Connect can be subsequently edited by the pilot to include a more detailed comment, turning the icon to black. I treat the gray icon the same as no icon, as there is no useful information. However, I instead look at
    the numbers for distance, speed and/or OLC points to decide whether I want to click on the flight to learn more about what was achieved. It's nice if there is a comment, but it's kind of like a caption under a photograph: the picture is still there for
    with black icons.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Precious Little comments on the OLC outta Florida today -1st day of the Seniors Contest
    Lots of Uploaded By LX Nav Connect
    Nick
    T

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Craig Reinholt@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 12 08:25:17 2023
    Precious Little comments on the OLC outta Florida today -1st day of the Seniors Contest
    Nick
    T
    Nick,
    The "Uploaded By LX Nav Connect" is an advert for LXNAV, plain and simple. IMO, it isn't necessary. Folks who want that service have already considered it and weigh the cost of upgrading to get it. LOL, Maybe Uros will remove the notification entirely or
    remove the associated comment tag for the file upload, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Craig

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jfitch@21:1/5 to Nicholas Kennedy on Sun Mar 12 08:38:35 2023
    On Wednesday, August 24, 2022 at 7:11:28 PM UTC-7, Nicholas Kennedy wrote:
    Gents
    Good Evening
    Jim Lee same thing.
    Nick
    T
    This comment Uploaded with LX Connect.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Sun Mar 12 09:58:47 2023
    On Sunday, March 12, 2023 at 9:27:26 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Kinda like the email with the signature block: Sent from my iPhone.

Who cares?

Dan
    5J
    On 3/12/23 09:25, Craig Reinholt wrote:
    Nick
    T
    Nick,
    The "Uploaded By LX Nav Connect" is an advert for LXNAV, plain and simple. IMO, it isn't necessary. Folks who want that service have already considered it and weigh the cost of upgrading to get it. LOL, Maybe Uros will remove the notification
    entirely or remove the associated comment tag for the file upload, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Craig
    I think Apple cares, as that's who puts remark on iPhone email messages. It can be suppressed in the Settings menu. I think some senders leave it on to indicate the email might have been sent in haste, in awkward circumstances (crossing a busy street
    while looking at the phone, etc), or could have some typos because the sender is a fumble-fingers on a little screen.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Craig Reinholt on Sun Mar 12 10:27:21 2023
    Kinda like the email with the signature block: Sent from my iPhone.

Who cares?

Dan
    5J

On 3/12/23 09:25, Craig Reinholt wrote:
    Nick
    T
    Nick,
    The "Uploaded By LX Nav Connect" is an advert for LXNAV, plain and simple. IMO, it isn't necessary. Folks who want that service have already considered it and weigh the cost of upgrading to get it. LOL, Maybe Uros will remove the notification entirely
    or remove the associated comment tag for the file upload, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Craig

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Bick (DY)@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 12 12:31:33 2023
    I'm a new LX9000 user, and still sorting it all out. Some comments:
    1. Rich Owen is putting out pretty complete day discussions on RAS. (Nick's original comment about the LXNav upload.)
    2. LXNav connect is much more than uploading flights to OLC, and an option I'm glad I have. When I fire up the LX9000, and have the wifi on, I automatically get updates for the V8 and LX9000, plus FLARM updates and other stuff in the hangar during
    preflight. This could be done via memory media, but now I don't have to think about checking online for the latest. While flying, I can connect to SkySight via LXNav connect for soaring info (particularly helpful for blue wave). Also get real time rain
    info, which is very helpful from safety standpoint for our monsoon season at Moriarty.
    3. Solid black comment means a more extensive comment by the pilot. From what I've seen, the "Uploaded by LXNav connect" gives a gray comment icon, but a short one or two sentence by the pilot also gives a gray comment icon, even without the LXNav
    uploaded tag. In the latter case, I can't tell whether it was an LXNav upload and edited out later by the pilot (like Ramy does, and I do too), or uploaded via a logger via computer.
    4. I agree that the "Uploaded by ...." tag is worthless and is an ad. When I have time, I will always go online in the evening and edit the comment to add info, and take out the LXNav tag.
    Eric B.
    8E

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Bick (DY)@21:1/5 to All on Sun Mar 12 12:39:11 2023
    I should add that OLC does all the upload stuff automatically - untouched by human hands. It does not discern an "Uploaded by LXNav connect" from any other comment that I'm aware of. So gray indicates length of comment - it's not reserved for LXNav
    autocomment.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Sun Mar 12 14:28:40 2023
    What an idiot.

I absolutely love watching these jerks walk into poles. parked cars,
    etc., and fall into holes and open elevators on city side walks.

And yes, I know about "settings".

Dan
    5J

On 3/12/23 10:58, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    (crossing a busy street while looking at the phone, etc)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05