• Ventus B air brakes keep popping on

From Dennis Cavagnaro@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 15 08:45:32 2022
    Is there an adjustment on Air brake lever for a Ventus B, (Glasfugal braking system) ?

My air brake keeps popping open during flight.

DC

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Mark Zivley@21:1/5 to dcava...@gsinet.net on Mon Aug 15 11:13:12 2022
    Yes, the "adjustment" is a new gas spring/strut located behind the seat that holds the airbrakes in the locked position. If memory serves it's on the left side and pushes down onto a bellcrank that's part of the spoiler/flap linkage. It's not very
    large. Maybe 6" long when compressed fully?

If you're not handy, you'll need to order a replacement from SH.

If you're capable of a little welding and light fabrication, you can remove the existing strut, cut off the "U" shaped bracket that is welded onto the end of the gas strut and order a gas spring that matches the length and force rating (assuming the
    sticker on your strut is still readable) from McMaster Car and you'll be back in business quicker and for less $$. Assuming you're "experimental" category.

Mark

On Monday, August 15, 2022 at 10:45:34 AM UTC-5, dcava...@gsinet.net wrote:
    Is there an adjustment on Air brake lever for a Ventus B, (Glasfugal braking system) ?

My air brake keeps popping open during flight.

DC

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Zivley@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 15 11:25:15 2022
    Found an old picture. It's not great, but may help.

The green ellipse shows the barely visible gas strut for holding the airbrakes closed. It's on the back side of the cross tube.

The red line is parallel to another gas strut which is also associated with the interconnection between the flaps and the airbrakes. If this 2nd gas strut has not been replaced in the previous 10ish years it's also probably due for a replacement. If
    memory serves, no special U bracket was welded onto this gas strut, but it was a good bit harder to reach the back end for replacement.

http://daziv.com/arcus/gasstruts.jpg

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Christopher Gough@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 15 18:21:50 2022
    I was sent this from uk.rec.aviation.soaring and discovered the gas strut in my Ventus B was also failing.

In June after the second winch launch with the brakes out I was certain that the aircraft was at fault.
    I am now certain that on both occasions my checks were OK and that the launch started with the brakes closed and locked. The bumpy start to the launch caused the brakes to open. Two instructors and an inspector examined the glider and thought that the
    over-locking could be “bit
    weak”.
    There is a gas strut in the system which was inspected and found to be defective. The strut was dated 1983!
    Without the gas strut the brakes would not remain locked, i.e. the strut locks the brakes though there is still a strong "over-centre" feel to the brakes.
    Unfortunately the locking of the brakes feels “normal” even with a failed strut. It is rated at 150 newtons but mine was producing well less than 50.
    The strut is not inspected at annuals and has no life. If you or a friend has a VentusB with a 30yr old gas strut in the system perhaps you should think about replacing it.
    And yes , as so often with serious accidents, why on earth had I not done something to stop the obvious happening sooner or later though I was ignorant of the detail of the brake system and the significance of that gas strut.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Christopher Gough@21:1/5 to Christopher Gough on Mon Aug 15 18:23:51 2022
    On Monday, August 15, 2022 at 7:21:52 p.m. UTC-6, Christopher Gough wrote:
    I was sent this from uk.rec.aviation.soaring and discovered the gas strut in my Ventus B was also failing.

In June after the second winch launch with the brakes out I was certain that the aircraft was at fault.
    I am now certain that on both occasions my checks were OK and that the launch started with the brakes closed and locked. The bumpy start to the launch caused the brakes to open. Two instructors and an inspector examined the glider and thought that the
    over-locking could be “bit
    weak”.
    There is a gas strut in the system which was inspected and found to be defective. The strut was dated 1983!
    Without the gas strut the brakes would not remain locked, i.e. the strut locks the brakes though there is still a strong "over-centre" feel to the brakes.
    Unfortunately the locking of the brakes feels “normal” even with a failed strut. It is rated at 150 newtons but mine was producing well less than 50.
    The strut is not inspected at annuals and has no life. If you or a friend has a VentusB with a 30yr old gas strut in the system perhaps you should think about replacing it.
    And yes , as so often with serious accidents, why on earth had I not done something to stop the obvious happening sooner or later though I was ignorant of the detail of the brake system and the significance of that gas strut.

I ordered a new strut from Schempp Hirth and they got it to me within a couple weeks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dennis Cavagnaro@21:1/5 to christop...@gmail.com on Wed Aug 17 06:29:52 2022
    Thank you all for the information on the strut. As it turns out there are adjustments and we might have solved the issue.

DC

On Monday, August 15, 2022 at 9:23:53 PM UTC-4, christop...@gmail.com wrote:

I am now certain that on both occasions my checks were OK and that the launch started with the brakes closed and locked. The bumpy start to the launch caused the brakes to open. Two instructors and an inspector examined the glider and thought that
    the over-locking could be “bit
    weak”.
    I ordered a new strut from Schempp Hirth and they got it to me within a couple weeks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Me@21:1/5 to dcava...@gsinet.net on Wed Aug 17 12:42:59 2022
    On Wednesday, August 17, 2022 at 6:29:54 AM UTC-7, dcava...@gsinet.net wrote:
    Thank you all for the information on the strut. As it turns out there are adjustments and we might have solved the issue.

DC
    On Monday, August 15, 2022 at 9:23:53 PM UTC-4, christop...@gmail.com wrote:

I am now certain that on both occasions my checks were OK and that the launch started with the brakes closed and locked. The bumpy start to the launch caused the brakes to open. Two instructors and an inspector examined the glider and thought that
    the over-locking could be “bit
    weak”.

"And yes , as so often with serious accidents, why on earth had I not done something to stop the obvious happening sooner or later though I was ignorant of the detail of the brake system and the significance of that gas strut."

I hear ya, but they aren't trying to hide it :) Consult the maintenance manual section 2.1 Prescribed Maintenance Checks and you will find the acceptable moment value for this gas strut.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05