• Rising Insurance Cost, Are They Related To Motorgliders?

From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Aug 2 13:01:28 2022
    The rising cost of insurance has hit us again, what is driving this ugly bit of reality, is it related to the high cost of motorgliders? While us purist fly around in moderately priced gliders the MG guys and gals, are leaning on us to support their high
    cost of insurance claims. Maybe we should call this Motorglider Welfare. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Tue Aug 2 16:26:52 2022
    On Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 4:01:30 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    The rising cost of insurance has hit us again, what is driving this ugly bit of reality, is it related to the high cost of motorgliders? While us purist fly around in moderately priced gliders the MG guys and gals, are leaning on us to support their
    high cost of insurance claims. Maybe we should call this Motorglider Welfare. Old Bob, The Purist

I don't think so. The higher valuation of newer, mostly powered gliders leads to proportionately higher hull premiums.
    I have not seen a breakdown of claims history to support OBTP's theory.
    I do see ships that are put up for salvage that should not be totaled.
    I note that material costs for repair are rising a lot. Example MGS 285 epoxy(most common in the industry) is now $278/ gallon. Double what it was 24 months ago.
    I have purchased at salvage and brought back from the dead 28 gliders(#29 in my shop now). One was a motorized glider- my ASW-24E.
    A large amount of loss is broken canopies. They cost about the same to repair on an ASW-15 worth maybe 15K as as ASG-29 worth almost 10 times as much.
    One guy's view
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Hank Nixon on Tue Aug 2 17:33:56 2022
    On Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 4:26:53 PM UTC-7, Hank Nixon wrote:
    On Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 4:01:30 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    The rising cost of insurance has hit us again, what is driving this ugly bit of reality, is it related to the high cost of motorgliders? While us purist fly around in moderately priced gliders the MG guys and gals, are leaning on us to support their
    high cost of insurance claims. Maybe we should call this Motorglider Welfare. Old Bob, The Purist
    I don't think so. The higher valuation of newer, mostly powered gliders leads to proportionately higher hull premiums.
    I have not seen a breakdown of claims history to support OBTP's theory.
    I do see ships that are put up for salvage that should not be totaled.
    I note that material costs for repair are rising a lot. Example MGS 285 epoxy(most common in the industry) is now $278/ gallon. Double what it was 24 months ago.
    I have purchased at salvage and brought back from the dead 28 gliders(#29 in my shop now). One was a motorized glider- my ASW-24E.
    A large amount of loss is broken canopies. They cost about the same to repair on an ASW-15 worth maybe 15K as as ASG-29 worth almost 10 times as much.
    One guy's view
    UH

That's an important point: the cost of repairing an old, cheap glider is just as much as a new, modern glider because it mostly involves labor and materials (both of which are rising rapidly). If it is an older glider the likelihood of being totaled (and
    the wreckage sold at auction) is much higher as the cost of the repair approaches the insured hull value.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jfitch@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Tue Aug 2 17:43:34 2022
    The main driver of insurance costs is the overall claim rate, and the agreed upon value for the hull. The insurance on my self launched glider hasn't gone up much in the last 7 years, no more than anything else anyway. This can be checked very easily by
    having two gliders quoted at the same agreed hull value, one with motor and one without. I'd be surprised if the premium were much different. But because motorgliders are usually valued higher the premium is also higher.

For your overall insurance burden, you will have to amortize the cost of the Pawnee insurance over your Pawnee towed fleet, to do a true comparison.
    On Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 12:01:30 PM UTC-8, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JAB@21:1/5 to youngblood8116@gmail.com on Tue Aug 2 18:40:26 2022
    On Tue, 2 Aug 2022 13:01:28 -0700 (PDT), "youngbl...@gmail.com" <youngblood8116@gmail.com> wrote:

Rising Insurance Cost, Are They Related To Motorgliders?

Why insurance rates are increasing 10 to 100 percent

Q&A with CEO of AssuredPartners Aerospace

January 23, 2020

AOPA has received many calls in recent months from members concerned
    about the hull and liability insurance premium increases they are
    seeing during their renewal period.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2020/january/23/why-insurance-rates-are-increasing-10-to-100-percent

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to jfitch on Wed Aug 3 04:39:40 2022
    On Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 8:43:36 PM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:
    The main driver of insurance costs is the overall claim rate, and the agreed upon value for the hull. The insurance on my self launched glider hasn't gone up much in the last 7 years, no more than anything else anyway. This can be checked very easily
    by having two gliders quoted at the same agreed hull value, one with motor and one without. I'd be surprised if the premium were much different. But because motorgliders are usually valued higher the premium is also higher.

For your overall insurance burden, you will have to amortize the cost of the Pawnee insurance over your Pawnee towed fleet, to do a true comparison.
    On Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 12:01:30 PM UTC-8, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:

I must give my good friend Fitch a, "That A Boy", insurance claims drive prices. Certainly other factors come into play, but claim cost vs revenue drive the rates. Yes, there are some minor contributing factors, ultimately it is the claim factor. I would
    love to see insurance pay out statistics in motorglider vs pure glider on an individual claim basis. Maybe the insurance companies should go to higher deductible tables based on glider value.
    This whole insurance thing does not affect very much, I am basically a liability carrier just like my homeowners where the 2004 hurricanes taught me a lesson or two, I no longer carry hurricane insurance and have saved 140k since going only to fire and
    causality. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Wed Aug 3 06:39:56 2022
    On 8/3/2022 4:39 AM, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 8:43:36 PM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:
    The main driver of insurance costs is the overall claim rate, and the agreed upon value for the hull. The insurance on my self launched glider hasn't gone up much in the last 7 years, no more than anything else anyway. This can be checked very easily
    by having two gliders quoted at the same agreed hull value, one with motor and one without. I'd be surprised if the premium were much different. But because motorgliders are usually valued higher the premium is also higher.

On Tuesday, August 2, 2022 at 12:01:30 PM UTC-8, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote: >>> The rising cost of insurance has hit us again, what is driving this ugly bit of reality, is it related to the high cost of motorgliders? While us purist fly around in moderately priced gliders the MG guys and gals, are leaning on us to support their

I must give my good friend Fitch a, "That A Boy", insurance claims drive prices. Certainly other factors come into play, but claim cost vs revenue drive the rates. Yes, there are some minor contributing factors, ultimately it is the claim factor. I
    would love to see insurance pay out statistics in motorglider vs pure glider on an individual claim basis. Maybe the insurance companies should go to higher deductible tables based on glider value.
    This whole insurance thing does not affect very much, I am basically a liability carrier just like my homeowners where the 2004 hurricanes taught me a lesson or two, I no longer carry hurricane insurance and have saved 140k since going only to fire and
    causality. Old Bob, The Purist

Motorgliders have been around for decades, so insurers must have enough experience with
    them by now to know what to charge for premiums. There is no advantage to the insurer to
    charge too little or too much: either way, their business will lose money.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 3 07:22:48 2022
    I'm not in the insurance business, but I don't believe that premiums are based on only the activity they cover. What I mean is, revenue from gliding policies does not simply cover gliding claims. The insurance industry commonly "pools" the risk over a
    broad spectrum. A major disaster or other increase in claims nationwide ripples through the market and can raise premiums on policyholders everywhere. A large number of aviation related claims, or a large punitive court judgment and award can affect
    completely uninvolved policy premiums. That being said, premium costs are pretty mysterious. For instance, I have no idea why the liability policy I have on my hangar at Moriarty (through Costello) went from $350 in 2020 to $1,250 in 2021.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Wed Aug 3 09:47:45 2022
    Mark makes a good point. Back in 2001 as I slept in a motel during a
    business trip, a tree fell during a wind storm and crushed the bed of my
    Ford truck. The insurance company paid my claim. The following year I
    had an increase in my rates due to the "comprehensive claim". It made absolutely no difference the reason for the claim.

Dan
    5J

On 8/3/22 08:22, Mark Mocho wrote:
    I'm not in the insurance business, but I don't believe that premiums are based on only the activity they cover. What I mean is, revenue from gliding policies does not simply cover gliding claims. The insurance industry commonly "pools" the risk over a
    broad spectrum. A major disaster or other increase in claims nationwide ripples through the market and can raise premiums on policyholders everywhere. A large number of aviation related claims, or a large punitive court judgment and award can affect
    completely uninvolved policy premiums. That being said, premium costs are pretty mysterious. For instance, I have no idea why the liability policy I have on my hangar at Moriarty (through Costello) went from $350 in 2020 to $1,250 in 2021.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Wed Aug 3 09:40:02 2022
    Could be, Bob, that you're becoming an OLD FART just like the rest of
    us. My rates have increased, too...

Dan
    5J

On 8/2/22 14:01, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JAB@21:1/5 to dcmarotta@earthlink.net on Wed Aug 3 12:31:30 2022
    On Wed, 3 Aug 2022 09:47:45 -0600, Dan Marotta
    <dcmarotta@earthlink.net> wrote:

, a tree fell during a wind storm and crushed the bed of my
    Ford truck.

Acts of Nature may eliminate motel owner's liability, despite being
    the owner's tree.

The following year I had an increase in my rates
    due to the "comprehensive claim".

That's right...."it's all your fault" :-)

Years ago, an acquaintance has a classic vehicle crushed by a
    semi-trailer in a parking lot...A windy Act of Nature, so the company
    paid nothing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From john firth@21:1/5 to JAB on Wed Aug 3 13:03:32 2022
    On Wednesday, August 3, 2022 at 2:31:36 PM UTC-4, JAB wrote:
    <dcma...@earthlink.net> wrote:

Ford truck.
    the owner's tree.

paid nothing.

I fly and tie down at an airport with a center field a km square of grass which is allowed to grow to provide hay. During july this was tall and dry enough that
    a lightning strike (frequent this year) could set it alight. Unlikely that the volunteer
    fire service would arrive in time to extinguish it; so the windblown embers set fire to my glider.
    Can the airport owner be considered negligent and sued for my loss?
    Or am I negligent in not insuring for "not in motion" event?

John Firth
    Ottawa

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to john firth on Wed Aug 3 13:21:52 2022
    On Wednesday, August 3, 2022 at 4:03:34 PM UTC-4, john firth wrote:

Ford truck.
    the owner's tree.

paid nothing.
    I fly and tie down at an airport with a center field a km square of grass which is allowed to grow to provide hay. During july this was tall and dry enough that
    a lightning strike (frequent this year) could set it alight. Unlikely that the volunteer
    fire service would arrive in time to extinguish it; so the windblown embers set fire to my glider.

John Firth
    Ottawa
    Anything can happen, Negligence is used in court often, guess you could say that the airport was negligent in not mowing the grass, they would probably hide behind some kind of sovereign immunity clause. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From JAB@21:1/5 to johnfirth0@gmail.com on Wed Aug 3 14:27:18 2022
    On Wed, 3 Aug 2022 13:03:32 -0700 (PDT), john firth
    <johnfirth0@gmail.com> wrote:

a lightning strike (frequent this year) could set it alight.

Any accident that is not under human control, influence, or human
    involvement, and is caused purely by the direct, individual action of
    natural forces, and could not have been avoided by foresight, an
    appropriate degree of care or effort, or the use of any instrument, is considered to be due to act of nature.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/act_of_nature

A state's law(s) can influence the above definition, and your
    insurance carrier.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to john firth on Wed Aug 3 14:28:44 2022
    On 8/3/2022 1:03 PM, john firth wrote:

Ford truck.
    the owner's tree.

paid nothing.

John Firth
    Ottawa
    At the risk of being Captain Obvious: As a tenant/user at the airport, you have some
    rights, oblations, and insurance coverage. Find out what they are, and adjust your
    insurance coverage (with your carrier, or maybe the airport carrier) as needed , or put it
    in the trailer during the fire season.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05