• Wanted - Grob 103 Canopy Hinge

From George Haeh@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 22 21:32:28 2022
    The rear canopy opened in flight and the rear hinge got bent (happily the Plexiglas was repairable). Bending back the hinge may result in eventual, if not immediate, failure.

If anybody has an extra hinge handy, I can be reached at George dot Haeh atsign gmail dotcom.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to georg...@gmail.com on Sun Jul 24 07:16:47 2022
    On Saturday, July 23, 2022 at 12:32:30 AM UTC-4, georg...@gmail.com wrote:
    The rear canopy opened in flight and the rear hinge got bent (happily the Plexiglas was repairable). Bending back the hinge may result in eventual, if not immediate, failure.

If anybody has an extra hinge handy, I can be reached at George dot Haeh atsign gmail dotcom.

Just curious but could not a local metal shop fabricate such a part or would it require a form from the FAA, permission from the Pope and at least three committee meetings? Expensive perhaps but to get the Grab back in the air...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George Haeh@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 24 22:07:45 2022
    We put the hinge in a vise with rods to preserve the upper two radii. It took 150+ lbs to bend the hinge back. We will replace it once Robert Mudd can find a compatible replacement, but it will work for the remainder of the season if necessary.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Papa3@21:1/5 to georg...@gmail.com on Mon Jul 25 06:12:15 2022
    On Saturday, July 23, 2022 at 12:32:30 AM UTC-4, georg...@gmail.com wrote:

This is a pretty common problem with Grobs. In addition to Robert Mudd, you can/should be comfortable reaching out to LTB Lindner. They have been extremely responsive when I've needed parts and advice. Beware though, August is around the
    corner, and they will likely be shut down for the full month.

https://ltb-lindner.com/en/home/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05