• Drunken idiots - Re: ASH-26/31Mi owners group?

From Michael N.@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 22 23:26:33 2022
    So having watched these ongoing R.A.S. battles of "friendly" (or not) debates on motor gliders vs "pure" gliders, flaps vs no flaps, vintage vs modern, electric vs fuel, etc, etc, etc, ad infinitum....
    I've never quite understood the need of certain individuals (you know who you are) to prove that "my opinion is the only one matters".

Yet tonight I had an epiphany:

Not able to sleep I decided to go to a local tavern for a nightcap. This was near closing time, and I found myself observing the people around me. Most if not all had been there for a while, in the expected state of mind of such a time of the evening.

I'll give you one guess as to my observations... ;-)

I saw everything between a couple of drunken friends saying "I love you bro" including a smelly wet smooch on the cheek, to "hey let's take it outside" only they were too drunk to walk out of the bar to continue what would have been a rather hilarious
    attempt at a fight.

It was hilarious, and I just inebriated enough to bring it to your attention....

For what it's worth, from now on I am reading R.A.S. after I've had a few, I think it makes more sense.... :-)

Mike

P.S. for those of you who are actually trying to learn or glean a bit of real and valuable information on gliding here: "I love you bro." That's why I originally joined this group. Sadly most of the shite on here ain't worth the electrons it's written on.
    (Admittedly I have had a few and my filters are off.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Michael N. on Sat Jul 23 08:19:11 2022
    Have strength, Mike. There's still a tidbit of good information on this
    board if you'll only engage your fine filter. The rest is pure
    entertainment. Treat it that way.

Dan
    5J

On 7/23/22 00:26, Michael N. wrote:
    So having watched these ongoing R.A.S. battles of "friendly" (or not) debates on motor gliders vs "pure" gliders, flaps vs no flaps, vintage vs modern, electric vs fuel, etc, etc, etc, ad infinitum....
    I've never quite understood the need of certain individuals (you know who you are) to prove that "my opinion is the only one matters".

Yet tonight I had an epiphany:

Not able to sleep I decided to go to a local tavern for a nightcap. This was near closing time, and I found myself observing the people around me. Most if not all had been there for a while, in the expected state of mind of such a time of the evening.

I'll give you one guess as to my observations... ;-)

I saw everything between a couple of drunken friends saying "I love you bro" including a smelly wet smooch on the cheek, to "hey let's take it outside" only they were too drunk to walk out of the bar to continue what would have been a rather hilarious
    attempt at a fight.

It was hilarious, and I just inebriated enough to bring it to your attention....

For what it's worth, from now on I am reading R.A.S. after I've had a few, I think it makes more sense.... :-)

Mike

P.S. for those of you who are actually trying to learn or glean a bit of real and valuable information on gliding here: "I love you bro." That's why I originally joined this group. Sadly most of the shite on here ain't worth the electrons it's written
    on. (Admittedly I have had a few and my filters are off.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 23 07:45:54 2022
    . Sadly most of the shite on here ain't worth the electrons it's written on. (Admittedly I have had a few and my filters are off.)

The only problem with drinking and trolling the Internet is that you should have a breathalyzer hooked up to your keyboard. If you blow more than .08, the "Post Message" tab won't work. Could save you a lot of grief. Ask me how I know this.

ps. Applies to email, too.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Herbert Kilian on Thu Jul 28 15:59:40 2022
    On 7/28/2022 3:21 PM, Herbert Kilian wrote:

Folks, don't listen to the Pompous Purist, he has no clue. John Good wrote this today in his daily report from Szeged, Hungary, the location of the current Worlds for 18m, 20m two seat and Open Class.

"I checked with the contest Scoring Office today and learned that of the 82 gliders in WGC2022, just five are unmotorized (all in 18-Meter class). I understand the reasons for this: modern gliders carry weight well; modern pilots like the assurance of
    getting home, and have the money to pay for it. But I can’t help feeling that this seems a bit “off”. I imagine a future World Championships at which an interested but naïve spectator is a visitor. Friendly competitors are proudly showing him
    their aircraft, explaining that this is the world championship of motorless flight, and how in the right weather they race around 500 km tasks at 130 kph using just the sun’s energy. He’s suitably impressed, and examines one glider carefully. He’
    s curious about a sort of hatch on top of the fuselage, and it's opened for him.
    “So, what’s this thing inside, that looks like it has a propeller attached to it?”
    “That’s the engine – all the gliders here have engines.”
    “But I thought you said it was a competition of motorless flight.”
    “It is – but you must have an engine to be competitive.”
    “You need a motor to do motorless flight?”
    “Well, we hope we don’t have to use it – but you can’t realistically expect to win without one.”"

Herb (not Herbie), J7
    This is extraordinary thread drift! Let's start a new thread: Do you need a motor to win
    competitions?"

I've started this new thread. Please continue the discussion there!

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05