• Glider ID dilemma

From John Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 18 12:07:24 2022
    After 2 1/2 years and 600hrs in "Hotel 8" (DG-300), I'm going to the MG dark side and acquiring a ASH-31Mi. In addition to a hundred other things I need in order to get my act together, I have to come up with a new glider ID. My DG's ID is under the
    clear coat and staying local so that's out (H8 kind of grew on me, I'll miss it). And, the -31's ID stays with the current owner.

So, my friends call me JJ and I'd be happy to put that on the tail but "Juliet Juliet" has 2 problems:
    - Not very manly and 6 syllables seems like a lot after just 3 for H8.
    - Bigger issue: A friend I fly with regularly has a beautiful Arcus with RR on the tail.

I cringe thinking about the Romeo Romeo/Juliet Juliet radio dynamic. I could try to insist on being called with 'JJ' instead of the phonetic, but I think my buddies would have too much fun with this. Aside from his Arcus catching on fire, I'm really
    struggling on how to deal with this dilemma.

JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From JC@21:1/5 to John Johnson on Mon Jul 18 16:17:49 2022
    On 7/18/2022 2:07 PM, John Johnson wrote:
    After 2 1/2 years and 600hrs in "Hotel 8" (DG-300), I'm going to the MG dark side and acquiring a ASH-31Mi. In addition to a hundred other things I need in order to get my act together, I have to come up with a new glider ID. My DG's ID is under the
    clear coat and staying local so that's out (H8 kind of grew on me, I'll miss it). And, the -31's ID stays with the current owner.

So, my friends call me JJ and I'd be happy to put that on the tail but "Juliet Juliet" has 2 problems:
    - Bigger issue: A friend I fly with regularly has a beautiful Arcus with RR on the tail.

I cringe thinking about the Romeo Romeo/Juliet Juliet radio dynamic. I could try to insist on being called with 'JJ' instead of the phonetic, but I think my buddies would have too much fun with this. Aside from his Arcus catching on fire, I'm
    really struggling on how to deal with this dilemma.

JJ

I had a K-6e with the n-number ending in RA or Romeo Alpha. There was
    another K-6e at the field with N-number ending in 3J or 3 Juliet. We
    called each other frequently and nobody even mentioned the connection of
    Romeo and Juliet until I brought it up to the other pilot on the ground.
    We never got any banter about it over the radio. This was over 20
    years ago and both glider are both flying though RA is at a different
    field now a couple of states away.

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 18 14:37:04 2022
    I have been using IDs that relate to the ship and can stay with it, e.g. 82 for s/n 82, 826 for N826. Guess my ego is small.

How about ASH? Or your s/n if it's not 001-700?

Monday, July 18, 2022 at 5:17:56 PM UTC-4, JC wrote:
    On 7/18/2022 2:07 PM, John Johnson wrote:

I cringe thinking about the Romeo Romeo/Juliet Juliet radio dynamic. I could try to insist on being called with 'JJ' instead of the phonetic, but I think my buddies would have too much fun with this. Aside from his Arcus catching on fire, I'm really
    struggling on how to deal with this dilemma.

JJ

I had a K-6e with the n-number ending in RA or Romeo Alpha. There was another K-6e at the field with N-number ending in 3J or 3 Juliet. We
    called each other frequently and nobody even mentioned the connection of Romeo and Juliet until I brought it up to the other pilot on the ground.
    We never got any banter about it over the radio. This was over 20
    years ago and both glider are both flying though RA is at a different
    field now a couple of states away.

--
    This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus
    I have

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jj@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 18 16:16:18 2022
    Just keep H8 for your new ship. Let the new owner of the old ship deal with the change.

He could put white tape over the center horizontal bar of the H and call the ship Indigo Indigo 8 or 118.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Johnson@21:1/5 to Moshe Braner on Mon Jul 18 17:11:05 2022
    On Monday, July 18, 2022 at 4:49:54 PM UTC-7, Moshe Braner wrote:
    I don't know if it's the same "RR" we are referring to, but the RR
    around here occasionally gets asked on the radio: "Romeo Romeo where art thou?"

This one (Arcus m) is at El Tiro and "... where art thou" is definitely happening here as well.

I really doubt "Romeo Romeo this is Juliet Juliet, what's your location?" would go without comment. It would be the gag gift that just keeps giving.

JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Moshe Braner@21:1/5 to John Johnson on Mon Jul 18 19:50:05 2022
    On 7/18/2022 3:07 PM, John Johnson wrote:

I cringe thinking about the Romeo Romeo/Juliet Juliet radio dynamic. I could try to insist on being called with 'JJ' instead of the phonetic, but I think my buddies would have too much fun with this. Aside from his Arcus catching on fire, I'm
    really struggling on how to deal with this dilemma.

JJ

around here occasionally gets asked on the radio: "Romeo Romeo where art
    thou?"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to John Johnson on Tue Jul 19 10:46:28 2022
    Use whatever ID you want. It only needs to be official if you fly in a
    contest and then only if the official owner is registered, as well.
    I've been using 5J since the mid 90s and only let lapse recently. Since
    I don't fly contests, it makes no difference. I don't care if someone
    else shows up at my airport sporting 5J on his glider.

Dan
    5J

On 7/18/22 18:11, John Johnson wrote:
    On Monday, July 18, 2022 at 4:49:54 PM UTC-7, Moshe Braner wrote:
    around here occasionally gets asked on the radio: "Romeo Romeo where art
    thou?"

This one (Arcus m) is at El Tiro and "... where art thou" is definitely happening here as well.

I really doubt "Romeo Romeo this is Juliet Juliet, what's your location?" would go without comment. It would be the gag gift that just keeps giving.

JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Stuart Venters@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 19 13:13:08 2022
    H9 appears available on the ssa allocation list.

As does H8

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Johnson@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 19 18:47:57 2022
    I'm coming around to Lima Papa - my wife's initials. She insisted and practically forced me to buy the -31 so I'm thinking a reminder of her with each radio call would be a nice thank you.

(... plus, when it comes time to pay the MG upkeep toll, it might soften the blow )

JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to John Johnson on Tue Jul 19 21:38:44 2022
    On Tuesday, July 19, 2022 at 6:47:59 PM UTC-7, John Johnson wrote:
    I'm coming around to Lima Papa - my wife's initials. She insisted and practically forced me to buy the -31 so I'm thinking a reminder of her with each radio call would be a nice thank you.

(... plus, when it comes time to pay the MG upkeep toll, it might soften the blow )

JJ

Wives are BIG proponents of MGs, unlike some senile tow pilots.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 20 13:50:30 2022
    On Wednesday, July 20, 2022 at 12:38:46 AM UTC-4, 2G wrote:

JJ

Tom
    Look Dickhead, I will call you Richard Noggin for short, Purist wives are much more in tune to the soaring world than you think. Purist wives can drive the retrieve vehicle, purist wives can fly better than you, this purist wife will out run you, out
    swim you out parachute you, in other words RN, she would kick your ass. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Fri Jul 29 21:44:10 2022
    On Wednesday, July 20, 2022 at 1:50:31 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, July 20, 2022 at 12:38:46 AM UTC-4, 2G wrote:

JJ

Tom
    Look Dickhead, I will call you Richard Noggin for short, Purist wives are much more in tune to the soaring world than you think. Purist wives can drive the retrieve vehicle, purist wives can fly better than you, this purist wife will out run you, out
    swim you out parachute you, in other words RN, she would kick your ass. OBTP

Temper, temper - you just haven't seen the smile on your wife's face once you get a motorglider. But, then again, you don't fly cross country so the issue doesn't arise.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05