• Gear Warning System Animation

From =?UTF-8?Q?John_DeRosa_OHM_=E2=84=A6@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 15 19:38:43 2022
    I got an email from a glider pilot wanting to install a gear warning system in his ship. While the system is electrically simple (battery+wires+switches) it can be logistically complicated.

I started to reply via email to convey the needed information but this just doesn't work. So I spent some time putting together a PowerPoint presentation covering what I know about gear warning systems. It includes a PowerPoint animation of how the
    gear warning functions mechanically and electrically.

This is a second public release of this DRAFT presentation. I'd like your feedback. Let me know if you have any questions or confusions so I can make needed updates.

You will need Microsoft PowerPoint to open the file and then "play" the presentation and its animation.

http://derosaweb.net/aviation/presentations/documents/Landing_Gear_Warning_2022.07.15.pptx

Is there a way to export the slide show (and animation) to something more portable? You can save-as to a MP4 file but it runs through the animation too fast to understand (but you can use the space bar to stop/start). Can it be opened and run properly
    in Open Office or Google Docs? I haven't tried.

Thanks, John (OHM)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 16 09:36:24 2022
    Nice job, John.

But, since I don't use Microsoft products and the Open Office animation
    was not as good as it could have been, I'm not sure about your switch
    mounting.

It appears to me that you mounted the gear switch on the landing gear
    itself. I would suggest that it would be much simpler to mount it on
    the linkage in the cockpit. Saves wallowing in the dirt to install and
    less chance of the switch getting knocked off in the cockpit.

Dan
    5J

On 7/15/22 20:38, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
    I got an email from a glider pilot wanting to install a gear warning system in his ship. While the system is electrically simple (battery+wires+switches) it can be logistically complicated.

I started to reply via email to convey the needed information but this just doesn't work. So I spent some time putting together a PowerPoint presentation covering what I know about gear warning systems. It includes a PowerPoint animation of how the
    gear warning functions mechanically and electrically.

This is a second public release of this DRAFT presentation. I'd like your feedback. Let me know if you have any questions or confusions so I can make needed updates.

You will need Microsoft PowerPoint to open the file and then "play" the presentation and its animation.

http://derosaweb.net/aviation/presentations/documents/Landing_Gear_Warning_2022.07.15.pptx

Is there a way to export the slide show (and animation) to something more portable? You can save-as to a MP4 file but it runs through the animation too fast to understand (but you can use the space bar to stop/start). Can it be opened and run
    properly in Open Office or Google Docs? I haven't tried.

Thanks, John (OHM)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?John_DeRosa_OHM_=E2=84=A6@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Sat Jul 16 13:08:50 2022
    On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 10:36:30 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Nice job, John.

But, since I don't use Microsoft products and the Open Office animation
    was not as good as it could have been, I'm not sure about your switch mounting.

It appears to me that you mounted the gear switch on the landing gear
    itself. I would suggest that it would be much simpler to mount it on
    the linkage in the cockpit. Saves wallowing in the dirt to install and
    less chance of the switch getting knocked off in the cockpit.

Dan
    5J

Dan - Yes, the best place is on the linkages.

I use the term "linkages" throughout the narrative and mention a suggested location near the gear and airbrake handles.

Thanks, John (OHM)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From quietpilot@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 16 14:00:03 2022
    On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 3:08:52 PM UTC-5, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
    Nice job, John.

But, since I don't use Microsoft products and the Open Office animation was not as good as it could have been, I'm not sure about your switch mounting.

It appears to me that you mounted the gear switch on the landing gear itself. I would suggest that it would be much simpler to mount it on
    the linkage in the cockpit. Saves wallowing in the dirt to install and less chance of the switch getting knocked off in the cockpit.

Dan
    5J

I use the term "linkages" throughout the narrative and mention a suggested location near the gear and airbrake handles.

Thanks, John (OHM)

The presentation labels the switches on the levers/contols on the PPT I saw.

I exported to google slides and the animations can't be made work quite right. The animation options are not as sohisticated to start and stop at specific positions.

Jim M "P9"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?John_DeRosa_OHM_=E2=84=A6@21:1/5 to quietpilot on Mon Jul 18 10:08:21 2022
    On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 4:00:07 PM UTC-5, quietpilot wrote:
    On Saturday, July 16, 2022 at 3:08:52 PM UTC-5, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
    Nice job, John.

But, since I don't use Microsoft products and the Open Office animation was not as good as it could have been, I'm not sure about your switch mounting.

It appears to me that you mounted the gear switch on the landing gear itself. I would suggest that it would be much simpler to mount it on
    the linkage in the cockpit. Saves wallowing in the dirt to install and less chance of the switch getting knocked off in the cockpit.

Dan
    5J

Thanks, John (OHM)
    The presentation labels the switches on the levers/contols on the PPT I saw.

I exported to google slides and the animations can't be made work quite right. The animation options are not as sophisticated to start and stop at specific positions.

Jim M "P9"
    The closest that I have found is exporting within PowerPoint to an MP4.

I have added a link on my presentations web site (http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations/#gearwarning) to the MP4 file with an explanation and instructions.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From krasw@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 28 04:29:56 2022
    I have struggled with magnetic switches for years. Attaching them to gear/airbrake pushrods seems easy, but the tolerance between magnet and switch is very small making installation easily unreliable. Last time I did gear warning system I used
    microswitches and everything works 100%. I would not bother with magnet switches anymore.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to krasw on Thu Jul 28 05:35:54 2022
    On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 5:29:58 AM UTC-6, krasw wrote:
    I have struggled with magnetic switches for years. Attaching them to gear/airbrake pushrods seems easy, but the tolerance between magnet and switch is very small making installation easily unreliable. Last time I did gear warning system I used
    microswitches and everything works 100%. I would not bother with magnet switches anymore.

I too detest magnetic switches. Unless they are mechanically fixed in place with screws or clamping devices, the tape will not hold in a hot environment. If the switch moves out of the intended position even a small amount, the alarm either triggers or
    worse, is disabled and you don't know it. Use microswitches and clamp them firmly in place. Test the circuit on the ground repeatedly. After reinstalling the seat pan or any other panel that covers the switches and actuating rod/lug/tab, test again.
    Finally, test it in flight. Repeat the inflight test occasionally to make sure everything is operating normally.

Finally, consider something other than a warning horn. Many of these inexpensive (cheap) buzzers have a tone that is difficult to hear in the cockpit while in flight. Additionally, the pitch sometimes coincides with hearing loss in a particular frequency
    range. (Fairly common in people who spent time around loud airplanes, firearms and other noisy environments. Many of our flight instruments like audio variometers, radios and anything else that makes noise might be enough to mask the buzzer. A pilot in a
    stressful situation like an outlanding may just ignore another beep, honk or tweet. I changed my gear warning to a set of red/blue flashing LED lights in the panel. They hook up just like a buzzer would and only need a couple of 3/16 holes in the panel.
    Since I don't have ANY other lights in the cockpit, there is no mistaking what is going on. Oh, and I installed a test switch to check whether they are working. And, yes, I did have a gear up landing once. But not with this system.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 28 08:35:22 2022
    V2hhdCBNYXJrIHNhaWQuDQoNCk9uZSBjYW4gZWFzaWx5IHNvdXJjZSB0aGUgcGFydHMgYW5k IGJ1aWxkIGEgd2FybmluZyBzeXN0ZW0gb3Igc2ltcGx5IGJ1eSANCmEgcmVhZHkgbWFkZSBr aXQgZnJvbSwgc2F5LCBXaW5ncyBhbmQgV2hlZWxzLiAgVGhlaXIga2l0IGRvZXMgbm90IGhh dmUgYSANCmZsYXNoaW5nIGxpZ2h0LCBidXQgaXQgd291bGQgYmUgZWFzeSB0byBpbnNlcnQg b25lIG9yIG1vcmUgZmxhc2hpbmcgTEVEIA0KbGlnaHRzIGluIHBhcmFsbGVsIHdpdGggdGhl IGhvcm4uDQoNCkRhbg0KNUoNCg0KT24gNy8yOC8yMiAwNjozNSwgTWFyayBNb2NobyB3cm90 ZToNCj4gT24gVGh1cnNkYXksIEp1bHkgMjgsIDIwMjIgYXQgNToyOTo1OCBBTSBVVEMtNiwg a3Jhc3cgd3JvdGU6DQo+PiBJIGhhdmUgc3RydWdnbGVkIHdpdGggbWFnbmV0aWMgc3dpdGNo ZXMgZm9yIHllYXJzLiBBdHRhY2hpbmcgdGhlbSB0byBnZWFyL2FpcmJyYWtlIHB1c2hyb2Rz IHNlZW1zIGVhc3ksIGJ1dCB0aGUgdG9sZXJhbmNlIGJldHdlZW4gbWFnbmV0IGFuZCBzd2l0 Y2ggaXMgdmVyeSBzbWFsbCBtYWtpbmcgaW5zdGFsbGF0aW9uIGVhc2lseSB1bnJlbGlhYmxl LiBMYXN0IHRpbWUgSSBkaWQgZ2VhciB3YXJuaW5nIHN5c3RlbSBJIHVzZWQgbWljcm9zd2l0 Y2hlcyBhbmQgZXZlcnl0aGluZyB3b3JrcyAxMDAlLiBJIHdvdWxkIG5vdCBib3RoZXIgd2l0 aCBtYWduZXQgc3dpdGNoZXMgYW55bW9yZS4NCj4gDQo+IEkgdG9vIGRldGVzdCBtYWduZXRp YyBzd2l0Y2hlcy4gVW5sZXNzIHRoZXkgYXJlIG1lY2hhbmljYWxseSBmaXhlZCBpbiBwbGFj ZSB3aXRoIHNjcmV3cyBvciBjbGFtcGluZyBkZXZpY2VzLCB0aGUgdGFwZSB3aWxsIG5vdCBo b2xkIGluIGEgaG90IGVudmlyb25tZW50LiBJZiB0aGUgc3dpdGNoIG1vdmVzIG91dCBvZiB0 aGUgaW50ZW5kZWQgcG9zaXRpb24gZXZlbiBhIHNtYWxsIGFtb3VudCwgdGhlIGFsYXJtIGVp dGhlciB0cmlnZ2VycyBvciB3b3JzZSwgaXMgZGlzYWJsZWQgYW5kIHlvdSBkb24ndCBrbm93 IGl0LiBVc2UgbWljcm9zd2l0Y2hlcyBhbmQgY2xhbXAgdGhlbSBmaXJtbHkgaW4gcGxhY2Uu IFRlc3QgdGhlIGNpcmN1aXQgb24gdGhlIGdyb3VuZCByZXBlYXRlZGx5LiBBZnRlciByZWlu c3RhbGxpbmcgdGhlIHNlYXQgcGFuIG9yIGFueSBvdGhlciBwYW5lbCB0aGF0IGNvdmVycyB0 aGUgc3dpdGNoZXMgYW5kIGFjdHVhdGluZyByb2QvbHVnL3RhYiwgdGVzdCBhZ2Fpbi4gRmlu YWxseSwgdGVzdCBpdCBpbiBmbGlnaHQuIFJlcGVhdCB0aGUgaW5mbGlnaHQgdGVzdCBvY2Nh c2lvbmFsbHkgdG8gbWFrZSBzdXJlIGV2ZXJ5dGhpbmcgaXMgb3BlcmF0aW5nIG5vcm1hbGx5 Lg0KPiANCj4gRmluYWxseSwgY29uc2lkZXIgc29tZXRoaW5nIG90aGVyIHRoYW4gYSB3YXJu aW5nIGhvcm4uIE1hbnkgb2YgdGhlc2UgaW5leHBlbnNpdmUgKGNoZWFwKSBidXp6ZXJzIGhh dmUgYSB0b25lIHRoYXQgaXMgZGlmZmljdWx0IHRvIGhlYXIgaW4gdGhlIGNvY2twaXQgd2hp bGUgaW4gZmxpZ2h0LiBBZGRpdGlvbmFsbHksIHRoZSBwaXRjaCBzb21ldGltZXMgY29pbmNp ZGVzIHdpdGggaGVhcmluZyBsb3NzIGluIGEgcGFydGljdWxhciBmcmVxdWVuY3kgcmFuZ2Uu IChGYWlybHkgY29tbW9uIGluIHBlb3BsZSB3aG8gc3BlbnQgdGltZSBhcm91bmQgbG91ZCBh aXJwbGFuZXMsIGZpcmVhcm1zIGFuZCBvdGhlciBub2lzeSBlbnZpcm9ubWVudHMuIE1hbnkg b2Ygb3VyIGZsaWdodCBpbnN0cnVtZW50cyBsaWtlIGF1ZGlvIHZhcmlvbWV0ZXJzLCByYWRp b3MgYW5kIGFueXRoaW5nIGVsc2UgdGhhdCBtYWtlcyBub2lzZSBtaWdodCBiZSBlbm91Z2gg dG8gbWFzayB0aGUgYnV6emVyLiBBIHBpbG90IGluIGEgc3RyZXNzZnVsIHNpdHVhdGlvbiBs aWtlIGFuIG91dGxhbmRpbmcgbWF5IGp1c3QgaWdub3JlIGFub3RoZXIgYmVlcCwgaG9uayBv ciB0d2VldC4gSSBjaGFuZ2VkIG15IGdlYXIgd2FybmluZyB0byBhIHNldCBvZiByZWQvYmx1 ZSBmbGFzaGluZyBMRUQgbGlnaHRzIGluIHRoZSBwYW5lbC4gVGhleSBob29rIHVwIGp1c3Qg bGlrZSBhIGJ1enplciB3b3VsZCBhbmQgb25seSBuZWVkIGEgY291cGxlIG9mIDMvMTYgaG9s ZXMgaW4gdGhlIHBhbmVsLiBTaW5jZSBJIGRvbid0IGhhdmUgQU5ZIG90aGVyIGxpZ2h0cyBp biB0aGUgY29ja3BpdCwgdGhlcmUgaXMgbm8gbWlzdGFraW5nIHdoYXQgaXMgZ29pbmcgb24u IE9oLCBhbmQgSSBpbnN0YWxsZWQgYSB0ZXN0IHN3aXRjaCB0byBjaGVjayB3aGV0aGVyIHRo ZXkgYXJlIHdvcmtpbmcuIEFuZCwgeWVzLCBJIGRpZCBoYXZlIGEgZ2VhciB1cCBsYW5kaW5n IG9uY2UuIEJ1dCBub3Qgd2l0aCB0aGlzIHN5c3RlbS4NCg==

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Nadler@21:1/5 to krasw on Thu Jul 28 11:31:48 2022
    On 7/28/2022 7:29 AM, krasw wrote:

You may want to watch this discussion of switch problems: https://youtu.be/R--m0NDR0j8?t=339
    Plenty of ways to get something unreliable...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?John_DeRosa_OHM_=E2=84=A6@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Thu Jul 28 19:27:07 2022
    On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 7:35:56 AM UTC-5, Mark Mocho wrote:
    On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 5:29:58 AM UTC-6, krasw wrote:
    I too detest magnetic switches. Unless they are mechanically fixed in place with screws or clamping devices, the tape will not hold in a hot environment. If the switch moves out of the intended position even a small amount, the alarm either triggers or
    worse, is disabled and you don't know it. Use microswitches and clamp them firmly in place. Test the circuit on the ground repeatedly. After reinstalling the seat pan or any other panel that covers the switches and actuating rod/lug/tab, test again.
    Finally, test it in flight. Repeat the inflight test occasionally to make sure everything is operating normally.

Finally, consider something other than a warning horn. Many of these inexpensive (cheap) buzzers have a tone that is difficult to hear in the cockpit while in flight. Additionally, the pitch sometimes coincides with hearing loss in a particular
    frequency range. (Fairly common in people who spent time around loud airplanes, firearms and other noisy environments. Many of our flight instruments like audio variometers, radios and anything else that makes noise might be enough to mask the buzzer. A
    pilot in a stressful situation like an outlanding may just ignore another beep, honk or tweet. I changed my gear warning to a set of red/blue flashing LED lights in the panel. They hook up just like a buzzer would and only need a couple of 3/16 holes in
    the panel. Since I don't have ANY other lights in the cockpit, there is no mistaking what is going on. Oh, and I installed a test switch to check whether they are working. And, yes, I did have a gear up landing once. But not with this system.

Mark,

I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion of magnetic (reed) switches versus mechanical micro-switches. I started installing gear warning systems in gliders by using micro-switches and quickly converted to the use of magnetic switches.

A few comments.

- I agree that the check buzzers are trash and should not be used. If you want a robust warning horn that will wake up the dead use the Sonalert brand (SC series). W&W's has that in their kit.
    - I have seen too many examples (in gliders and otherwise) of lever activated micro-switches being bent, broken and/or destroyed. If a standard magnet isn't strong enough, use a rare earth one instead.
    - Micro-switches requires a particular mounting arrangement where the activation "arm" must push on the lever from a specific direction. A magnetic switch allows for activation in a variety of orientations.
    - I have often see micro-switches with elongated holes for the screws. Elongated holes are a recipe for movement caused by vibration.
    - I suggested in my presentation of mounting the magnetic switch and magnet with tape but only during the trial fitting. I suggest, and use, a good brand of epoxy to permanently mount the magnetic switch and the magnet. West Systems is very good.
    - Relying solely on warning lights to tell you of an impending gear up landing just doesn't seem right and can easily be not noticed, especially in a brightly lit cockpit. Airliners don't rely only on a warning light if important things aren't correct -
    why should we?

I do need to add another slide talking about adding a test switch. But I prefer testing after rigging by having the gear up and the brakes out!

The latest version of the presentation can be found at http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations/#gearwarning.

Thanks, John (OHM)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 28 20:50:16 2022
    John-

To each his own. My experience with magnetic vs. microswitches is exactly the opposite, and I have installed about ten gear warning systems using both. Maybe I'm doing it differently and getting different results than you, but I've had better results
    with microswitches.

As far as the lights, I GUARANTEE you can't ignore the ones I am using. You could probably see them if you were wearing a welding hood.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Sat Jul 30 17:12:21 2022
    On Thursday, July 28, 2022 at 8:50:18 PM UTC-7, Mark Mocho wrote:
    John-

To each his own. My experience with magnetic vs. microswitches is exactly the opposite, and I have installed about ten gear warning systems using both. Maybe I'm doing it differently and getting different results than you, but I've had better results
    with microswitches.

As far as the lights, I GUARANTEE you can't ignore the ones I am using. You could probably see them if you were wearing a welding hood.

Not mentioned here are Hall-effect proximity sensors. They have an excellent detectability range and are very reliable because they are solid-state.
    https://www.amazon.com/Twidec-Proximity-Inductive-NO%EF%BC%88Normally-NJK-5002C/dp/B07P1GKQRM

Note: I have never had to depend upon a gear warning system. My landing checklist is pretty simple: touch every control and the radio to be sure it is in the landing position prior to entering the pattern. I also have a written checklist in the LXNAV.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?John_DeRosa_OHM_=E2=84=A6@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 30 20:51:31 2022
    Tom - A Hall Effect (HE) Sensor can be a good substitute for a reed switch but;

- The HE is slightly more complicated to wire as it is an active device requiring power to work while the reed switch is strictly a mechanical device.
    - Physically mounting some of the most common, and larger, types such as the one you link to may not work in our tight environments.

But I did add a slide about Hall Effect Sensors at the end of the deck.

- John (OHM)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05