• Re: Glideport.aero

From Wes Minear@21:1/5 to Ramy on Thu Jul 7 16:18:06 2022
    On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 8:10:58 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
    Frank thanks for the update. I did make an attempt couple of years ago to find a replacement and got couple of folks in touch with Pedja but the project was bigger than they could handle. I hope it will get priority, there are quiet a few enhancements
    which can be made such as integrating OGN and ADS-B. Maybe someone who reads this has the time and talent to pick this up. It is a great service to most pilots.

Ramy
    On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 1:52:38 PM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote:
    On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 2:42:53 PM UTC-6, Ramy wrote:
    Yes, the iPhone app was discontinued few years ago, the android app still available as it is owned by a 3rd party.
    But the glideport web site (aka SSA tracker) is thankfully still up and running, but I am worried about the lack of support. I hope someone from the SSA is paying attention and comment about the future of the SSA tracker.

Ramy
    On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 12:47:55 PM UTC-7, mfp...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 8:47:27 PM UTC-6, Ramy wrote:
    I heard from others that it is no longer possible to register to glideport as you don’t get the activation emails. It is otherwise working until it will eventually fail. My understanding is that it was indeed transferred to the SSA.
    Wish that instead of investing in the silly new web site the SSA would have invested in the sailplane tracker.

Ramy
    On Sunday, April 11, 2021 at 7:23:08 PM UTC-7, mfp...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, April 11, 2021 at 3:15:17 PM UTC-6, Moshe Braner wrote:
    On 4/9/2021 2:33 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:

... couldn't figure out my
    password. Clicked on "reset password" (in glideport.aero) but the promised email never came in (and yes I checked the spam folder).
    I know I put in the right email address because other addresses
    say "no such user", and also I see the email address in my IGCdroid configuration.

Still no email from Glideport. No password reset link email, and no
    validation link email for the new registration I attempted via a different email address. Is their outgoing email system in-op? Thought
    I'd ask, but their "contact us" link says "you have to login first".
    Catch 22. I appreciate the free service, but it seems partly defunct at
    the moment. Has anybody recently managed to register, or reset their
    password, or contact them?
    My understanding is that the original author passed glideport.aero and associated software to SSA. They have done nothing with it as far as I can tell. The tracking website is still up and running but there is currently no support for it.
    Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mark Palmer
    Greenwood Village, CO
    Over the weekend, my iPhone 6 finally died. This morning I restored everything to a new iPhone Xr. Glidetrack didn't download and I got the message it was no longer available in the App Store.

Mark
    SSA got access to the project and site last week. Last volunteer claimed he was replaced, but no evidence of that. It'll get some effort near term and more attention later.

Frank

Any update on the status of being able to register on Glideport.aero? I have an inreach I would like to be able to let others follow.

Thanks
    Wes

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Wes Minear on Sat Jul 9 21:13:50 2022
    On 7/7/22 17:18, Wes Minear wrote:
    Frank thanks for the update. I did make an attempt couple of years ago to find a replacement and got couple of folks in touch with Pedja but the project was bigger than they could handle. I hope it will get priority, there are quiet a few enhancements
    which can be made such as integrating OGN and ADS-B. Maybe someone who reads this has the time and talent to pick this up. It is a great service to most pilots.

Ramy
    Yes, the iPhone app was discontinued few years ago, the android app still available as it is owned by a 3rd party.
    But the glideport web site (aka SSA tracker) is thankfully still up and running, but I am worried about the lack of support. I hope someone from the SSA is paying attention and comment about the future of the SSA tracker.

Ramy
    On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 12:47:55 PM UTC-7, mfp...@gmail.com wrote: >>>>> On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 8:47:27 PM UTC-6, Ramy wrote:
    I heard from others that it is no longer possible to register to glideport as you don’t get the activation emails. It is otherwise working until it will eventually fail. My understanding is that it was indeed transferred to the SSA.
    Wish that instead of investing in the silly new web site the SSA would have invested in the sailplane tracker.

Ramy
    On Sunday, April 11, 2021 at 7:23:08 PM UTC-7, mfp...@gmail.com wrote: >>>>>>> On Sunday, April 11, 2021 at 3:15:17 PM UTC-6, Moshe Braner wrote: >>>>>>>> On 4/9/2021 2:33 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:

password. Clicked on "reset password" (in glideport.aero) but >>>>>>>>> the promised email never came in (and yes I checked the spam folder). >>>>>>>>> I know I put in the right email address because other addresses >>>>>>>>> say "no such user", and also I see the email address in my
    IGCdroid configuration.

Still no email from Glideport. No password reset link email, and no >>>>>>>> validation link email for the new registration I attempted via a >>>>>>>> different email address. Is their outgoing email system in-op? Thought >>>>>>>> I'd ask, but their "contact us" link says "you have to login first". >>>>>>>> Catch 22. I appreciate the free service, but it seems partly defunct at
    the moment. Has anybody recently managed to register, or reset their >>>>>>>> password, or contact them?
    My understanding is that the original author passed glideport.aero and associated software to SSA. They have done nothing with it as far as I can tell. The tracking website is still up and running but there is currently no support for it. Anyone,
    please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mark Palmer
    Greenwood Village, CO
    Over the weekend, my iPhone 6 finally died. This morning I restored everything to a new iPhone Xr. Glidetrack didn't download and I got the message it was no longer available in the App Store.

Mark
    SSA got access to the project and site last week. Last volunteer claimed he was replaced, but no evidence of that. It'll get some effort near term and more attention later.

Frank

Any update on the status of being able to register on Glideport.aero? I have an inreach I would like to be able to let others follow.

Thanks
    Wes

Why not register on OGN?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Whiteley@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 10 22:42:05 2022

Thanks
    Wes
    Wes,
    Not yet unfortunately. However, do register your glider and tracker under your Profile in members.ssa.org. The tracker listing was created as a resource in case someone needed your last reported position. It also did handshake with Glideport.aero
    until the domains were updated. If you can't access members.ssa.org, e-mail webmaster@ssa.org for assistance.

Frank Whiteley

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wes Minear@21:1/5 to kinsell on Mon Jul 11 15:45:51 2022
    On Saturday, July 9, 2022 at 10:13:55 PM UTC-5, kinsell wrote:
    Frank thanks for the update. I did make an attempt couple of years ago to find a replacement and got couple of folks in touch with Pedja but the project was bigger than they could handle. I hope it will get priority, there are quiet a few
    enhancements which can be made such as integrating OGN and ADS-B. Maybe someone who reads this has the time and talent to pick this up. It is a great service to most pilots.

Ramy

Ramy

Ramy
    On Sunday, April 11, 2021 at 3:15:17 PM UTC-6, Moshe Braner wrote: >>>>>>>> On 4/9/2021 2:33 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:

password. Clicked on "reset password" (in glideport.aero) but >>>>>>>>> the promised email never came in (and yes I checked the spam folder).
    I know I put in the right email address because other addresses >>>>>>>>> say "no such user", and also I see the email address in my >>>>>>>>> IGCdroid configuration.

Still no email from Glideport. No password reset link email, and no >>>>>>>> validation link email for the new registration I attempted via a >>>>>>>> different email address. Is their outgoing email system in-op? Thought
    My understanding is that the original author passed glideport.aero and associated software to SSA. They have done nothing with it as far as I can tell. The tracking website is still up and running but there is currently no support for it.

Mark Palmer
    Greenwood Village, CO

Mark

Frank

Thanks
    Wes
    Why not register on OGN?
    I did register on OGN Frank, thanks for bringing this to light for me. (no one in my club knew anything about it.) I am going get 3 OGN stations setup in my area(about 50 miles apart. Thanks for the help.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Wes Minear on Mon Jul 11 19:04:03 2022
    On 7/11/22 16:45, Wes Minear wrote:
    Frank thanks for the update. I did make an attempt couple of years ago to find a replacement and got couple of folks in touch with Pedja but the project was bigger than they could handle. I hope it will get priority, there are quiet a few
    enhancements which can be made such as integrating OGN and ADS-B. Maybe someone who reads this has the time and talent to pick this up. It is a great service to most pilots.

Ramy
    On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 1:52:38 PM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote: >>>>> On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 2:42:53 PM UTC-6, Ramy wrote:

Ramy
    On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 12:47:55 PM UTC-7, mfp...@gmail.com wrote: >>>>>>> On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 8:47:27 PM UTC-6, Ramy wrote:

Ramy
    On Sunday, April 11, 2021 at 7:23:08 PM UTC-7, mfp...@gmail.com wrote: >>>>>>>>> On Sunday, April 11, 2021 at 3:15:17 PM UTC-6, Moshe Braner wrote: >>>>>>>>>> On 4/9/2021 2:33 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:

password. Clicked on "reset password" (in glideport.aero) but >>>>>>>>>>> the promised email never came in (and yes I checked the spam folder).
    I know I put in the right email address because other addresses >>>>>>>>>>> say "no such user", and also I see the email address in my >>>>>>>>>>> IGCdroid configuration.

Still no email from Glideport. No password reset link email, and no >>>>>>>>>> validation link email for the new registration I attempted via a >>>>>>>>>> different email address. Is their outgoing email system in-op? Thought
    I'd ask, but their "contact us" link says "you have to login first". >>>>>>>>>> Catch 22. I appreciate the free service, but it seems partly defunct at
    the moment. Has anybody recently managed to register, or reset their >>>>>>>>>> password, or contact them?

Mark Palmer
    Greenwood Village, CO

Mark

Frank

Thanks
    Wes
    Why not register on OGN?
    I did register on OGN Frank, thanks for bringing this to light for me. (no one in my club knew anything about it.) I am going get 3 OGN stations setup in my area(about 50 miles apart. Thanks for the help.

Good. People can use the OGN viewers to track your InReach immediately,
    and the stations provide good (line of sight) coverage for PowerFlarms.

Just make sure you use software and hardware appropriate for North
    America, wiki.glidernet.org has tons of information but very little
    specific for our needs. Davis Chappins distributes information at:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dSaOqBtaSNxZhmTQWSyi6TUXkgCTwSp7

-Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Richard Livingston@21:1/5 to kinsell on Tue Jul 12 06:21:20 2022
    On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 8:04:09 PM UTC-5, kinsell wrote:

Ramy
    On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 1:52:38 PM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote: >>>>> On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 2:42:53 PM UTC-6, Ramy wrote:

Ramy

Ramy
    On Sunday, April 11, 2021 at 3:15:17 PM UTC-6, Moshe Braner wrote: >>>>>>>>>> On 4/9/2021 2:33 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:

password. Clicked on "reset password" (in glideport.aero) but >>>>>>>>>>> the promised email never came in (and yes I checked the spam folder).
    I know I put in the right email address because other addresses >>>>>>>>>>> say "no such user", and also I see the email address in my >>>>>>>>>>> IGCdroid configuration.

Still no email from Glideport. No password reset link email, and no
    validation link email for the new registration I attempted via a >>>>>>>>>> different email address. Is their outgoing email system in-op? Thought

Mark Palmer
    Greenwood Village, CO

Mark

Frank

Thanks
    Wes
    Why not register on OGN?

Good. People can use the OGN viewers to track your InReach immediately,
    and the stations provide good (line of sight) coverage for PowerFlarms.

Just make sure you use software and hardware appropriate for North
    America, wiki.glidernet.org has tons of information but very little
    specific for our needs. Davis Chappins distributes information at:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1dSaOqBtaSNxZhmTQWSyi6TUXkgCTwSp7

-Dave

I just set up an OGN station in Highland Illinois (near St. Louis). If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Rich Livingston
    ralivingston 1952 "at" charter dot net

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Wes Minear on Tue Jul 12 08:46:23 2022

Ramy

Ramy
    On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 12:47:55 PM UTC-7, mfp...@gmail.com wrote: >>>>>>> On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 8:47:27 PM UTC-6, Ramy wrote:

Ramy
    On Sunday, April 11, 2021 at 7:23:08 PM UTC-7, mfp...@gmail.com wrote: >>>>>>>>> On Sunday, April 11, 2021 at 3:15:17 PM UTC-6, Moshe Braner wrote: >>>>>>>>>> On 4/9/2021 2:33 PM, Moshe Braner wrote:

Still no email from Glideport. No password reset link email, and no >>>>>>>>>> validation link email for the new registration I attempted via a >>>>>>>>>> different email address. Is their outgoing email system in-op? Thought
    I'd ask, but their "contact us" link says "you have to login first". >>>>>>>>>> Catch 22. I appreciate the free service, but it seems partly defunct at
    the moment. Has anybody recently managed to register, or reset their >>>>>>>>>> password, or contact them?

Mark Palmer
    Greenwood Village, CO

Mark

Frank

Thanks
    Wes
    Why not register on OGN?

Good overview of the different flight tracking systems:

https://members.ssa.org/webinar/2022%20BFSS%20Winter-Spring%20Training%208%20-%20Flight%20Tracking%20Tools.mp4

SSA login required, using your old login credentials.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05