• The looming towplane problem in the USA...

From Tony@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 28 13:12:52 2022
    One issue is insurance. I'm not knowledgeable enough to propose a specific remedy, but could the SSA endowment be used, in part, for some blanket policy that would cover owner/operators of tugs? During contests only?

I know the Pawnee has been a godsend, as the single seat cut insurance vs. L-19's, 182's &c. But they're aging and the outfit that holds the TC is of no assistance.

Another remedy might be getting to the bottom of the FAA's boilerplate restriction against aircraft with an experimental a/w cert being used for tows. I know it has not always been applied, but can we get a path towards eliminating it and get
    experimental aircraft designed purely as tugs...perhaps when passengers are not carried in either aircraft?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 28 14:49:05 2022
    One of the biggest obstacles to any recertification or policy change is the nearly impossible task of convincing the FAA that any "new" rule will enhance "safety." The FAA uses "safety" as the filter through which all decisions are made. Unfortunately,
    there seems to be a faction in the bureaucracy that has in the back of their mind that flight would be "safer" by simply reducing the amount of flying that actually takes place.

One (retired) FAA official told me that the FAA is like a supertanker- hard to get moving, difficult and slow to make a course change, and once moving, difficult to stop. That's why it took nine years and the threat of Congressional investigation to
    resolve a simple erroneous interpretation of the Centrair Pegase life limit. And the "fix" was just a "work-around" that avoided making a definitive decision to rescind the AD that caused the problem, even though the FAA had violated its own policy, the
    Federal Administrative Procedures Act and "common sense." But rescinding the AD would mean that the FAA would be acknowledging that it had made a mistake in the first place.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to sgs...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 28 15:28:27 2022
    On Tuesday, June 28, 2022 at 4:12:56 PM UTC-4, sgs...@gmail.com wrote:
    One issue is insurance. I'm not knowledgeable enough to propose a specific remedy, but could the SSA endowment be used, in part, for some blanket policy that would cover owner/operators of tugs? During contests only?

I know the Pawnee has been a godsend, as the single seat cut insurance vs. L-19's, 182's &c. But they're aging and the outfit that holds the TC is of no assistance.

Another remedy might be getting to the bottom of the FAA's boilerplate restriction against aircraft with an experimental a/w cert being used for tows. I know it has not always been applied, but can we get a path towards eliminating it and get
    experimental aircraft designed purely as tugs...perhaps when passengers are not carried in either aircraft?
    Nice topic, I have owned three Pawnee's and really liked the all, my current Pawnee is a beast and is our primary tow plane. If you find one grab it up and do everything you can to keep it in excellent condition. Not only are they getting hard to find
    the prices are crazy and finding someone with experience to fly it is another challenge. The self launch owners are saying goodbye to all towplanes, they may just be ahead of the game. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Wed Jun 29 15:34:41 2022
    On Tuesday, June 28, 2022 at 6:28:31 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:

Nice topic, I have owned three Pawnee's and really liked the all, my current Pawnee is a beast and is our primary tow plane. If you find one grab it up and do everything you can to keep it in excellent condition. Not only are they getting hard to find
    the prices are crazy and finding someone with experience to fly it is another challenge. The self launch owners are saying goodbye to all towplanes, they may just be ahead of the game. OBTP

I was lucky enough to cut my teeth on tail draggers, cubs, champs, pacers, T Craft, 120s and 140s at a little grass field in Inverness, Fl. I hadn't flown power in 37 years when I was asked if I would fly tow at SLGP. I went and flew a cub a couple of
    hours and it was like riding a bike, you never forget. To get some experience with higher horsepower I flew the Stearman for 5 hours and had a ball. Then I did some acro in a Pitts and upset training in a Zlin and felt I was good to go, upset training
    is invaluable. The Pawnee is really the easiest taildragger you can fly. Just make sure the release handle is up where the pilot can grab it and that it has a TOST system.

Walt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From stephen.szikora.t3@gmail.com@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Wed Jun 29 16:08:28 2022
    On Wednesday, June 29, 2022 at 6:34:45 PM UTC-4, waltco...@aol.com wrote:

Nice topic, I have owned three Pawnee's and really liked the all, my current Pawnee is a beast and is our primary tow plane. If you find one grab it up and do everything you can to keep it in excellent condition. Not only are they getting hard to
    find the prices are crazy and finding someone with experience to fly it is another challenge. The self launch owners are saying goodbye to all towplanes, they may just be ahead of the game. OBTP
    I was lucky enough to cut my teeth on tail draggers, cubs, champs, pacers, T Craft, 120s and 140s at a little grass field in Inverness, Fl. I hadn't flown power in 37 years when I was asked if I would fly tow at SLGP. I went and flew a cub a couple of
    hours and it was like riding a bike, you never forget. To get some experience with higher horsepower I flew the Stearman for 5 hours and had a ball. Then I did some acro in a Pitts and upset training in a Zlin and felt I was good to go, upset training is
    invaluable. The Pawnee is really the easiest taildragger you can fly. Just make sure the release handle is up where the pilot can grab it and that it has a TOST system.

Walt
    We’ve become addicted to horsepower. Pawnees guzzle gas and have two extra cylinders to replace. The extra ponies largely just make the pig fly. Most don’t remember that the first Pawnees only had 150hp but a lighter airframe! Up to now the clubs I
    have been at have gotten by with 150hp Super Cubs and Citabrias, but we just recently upgraded to a newish 180hp High Country Explorer (Citabria) and pit a TOST system release on it. It is an excellent towplane, with all the power we could want (at least
    for us lowlanders) and is currently in production with good support.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ron Gleason@21:1/5 to stephen.s...@gmail.com on Wed Jun 29 17:48:58 2022
    On Wednesday, 29 June 2022 at 17:08:32 UTC-6, stephen.s...@gmail.com wrote:

Nice topic, I have owned three Pawnee's and really liked the all, my current Pawnee is a beast and is our primary tow plane. If you find one grab it up and do everything you can to keep it in excellent condition. Not only are they getting hard to
    find the prices are crazy and finding someone with experience to fly it is another challenge. The self launch owners are saying goodbye to all towplanes, they may just be ahead of the game. OBTP
    I was lucky enough to cut my teeth on tail draggers, cubs, champs, pacers, T Craft, 120s and 140s at a little grass field in Inverness, Fl. I hadn't flown power in 37 years when I was asked if I would fly tow at SLGP. I went and flew a cub a couple
    of hours and it was like riding a bike, you never forget. To get some experience with higher horsepower I flew the Stearman for 5 hours and had a ball. Then I did some acro in a Pitts and upset training in a Zlin and felt I was good to go, upset training
    is invaluable. The Pawnee is really the easiest taildragger you can fly. Just make sure the release handle is up where the pilot can grab it and that it has a TOST system.

Walt
    We’ve become addicted to horsepower. Pawnees guzzle gas and have two extra cylinders to replace. The extra ponies largely just make the pig fly. Most don’t remember that the first Pawnees only had 150hp but a lighter airframe! Up to now the clubs I
    have been at have gotten by with 150hp Super Cubs and Citabrias, but we just recently upgraded to a newish 180hp High Country Explorer (Citabria) and pit a TOST system release on it. It is an excellent towplane, with all the power we could want (at least
    for us lowlanders) and is currently in production with good support.
    Good topic. In the western states with density altitudes horse power is key. At contests it is getting very hard as the latest machine need lots of power to get off the ground but also newer airfoils on the tow planes to be able tow at 80+ knots for
    fully ballasted racing gliders

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nicholas Kennedy@21:1/5 to Ron Gleason on Wed Jun 29 19:39:05 2022
    On Wednesday, June 29, 2022 at 6:49:02 PM UTC-6, Ron Gleason wrote:
    On Wednesday, 29 June 2022 at 17:08:32 UTC-6, stephen.s...@gmail.com wrote:

I was lucky enough to cut my teeth on tail draggers, cubs, champs, pacers, T Craft, 120s and 140s at a little grass field in Inverness, Fl. I hadn't flown power in 37 years when I was asked if I would fly tow at SLGP. I went and flew a cub a couple
    of hours and it was like riding a bike, you never forget. To get some experience with higher horsepower I flew the Stearman for 5 hours and had a ball. Then I did some acro in a Pitts and upset training in a Zlin and felt I was good to go, upset training

Walt

A good towplane readily available today is the early Cessna 182.
    We used one here one summer in Telluride and it was fine. it had a extra oil cooler.
    Nice thing about the C-182 is ANYBODY can fly it and with a 160 mph cruise and long legs it makes a good long distance XC airplane for trips to see mom.
    Any Mechanic can work on these and parts are plentiful.
    Nick
    T

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matthew Scutter@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 29 21:26:20 2022
    We’ve become addicted to horsepower. Pawnees guzzle gas and have two extra cylinders to replace. The extra ponies largely just make the pig fly. Most don’t remember that the first Pawnees only had 150hp but a lighter airframe! Up to now the clubs
    I have been at have gotten by with 150hp Super Cubs and Citabrias, but we just recently upgraded to a newish 180hp High Country Explorer (Citabria) and pit a TOST system release on it. It is an excellent towplane, with all the power we could want (at
    least for us lowlanders) and is currently in production with good support.
    Good topic. In the western states with density altitudes horse power is key. At contests it is getting very hard as the latest machine need lots of power to get off the ground but also newer airfoils on the tow planes to be able tow at 80+ knots for

I am dismayed at the monster tow plane cost-spiral I have seen a number of clubs enter. It goes something like this;

Extremely wealthy and keen club members buy new super heavy, high wingloading gliders with high speed aerofoils of which only very high power towplanes can safely tow.
    The club is then locked into operating their legacy Pawnees of which maintenance and fuel costs are extremely high. Cheaper alternative tow planes are no longer an option lest these super heavies are unable to launch. The pilots of student / club
    sailplanes end up subsidizing this extravagant equipment. The student / club class pilots drift out of the sport in the face of looming 100$ aerotows for their 10,000$ Cirrus.

If there wasn't the requirement to cater for the super heavies, many clubs could be towing with ultralights running Rotax's at half the price (or less). They might even get a desirable ultralight to fly in its own right out of it. Some clubs try and
    manage this unfairness by charging heavies more or charging by time, but somehow the maths never quite works out for the clubbies.

I think our sport would have more longevity if our clubs would tell these pilots - if you're going to order a new quarter-million+ super heavy glider, fork out the extra 30k and get your own engine.

Perhaps the IGC could arrest this trend by imposing a 60kg/sqm 600kg weight limit on aerotow at world championships, or some kind of climb performance requirement - if you want to go heavier or faster, BYO engine/tug.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 30 07:34:06 2022
    Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340 lbs. Since the basis for
    most clubs is an older two-place trainer like the G103, a high power towplane is needed anyway, especially in high elevation locations like Moriarty, which regularly sees 9,000+ ft. density altitude. We utilize 265 HP Pawnees, and there are times that
    the climb behind even these gas guzzlers is anemic. The fully tanked open class glider pilots can be heard squealing for more speed throughout the tow, providing entertainment to those monitoring the radio.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George Haeh@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 30 09:56:13 2022
    It takes approximately the same amount of gas/energy to lift a towplane/glider combination x thousand feet.

More power gets you up quicker for about the same amount of gas.

Pawnees are less constrained by engine cooling considerations and can come down quicker. The faster climb and descent can enable an operation to do more tows in a day.

In my neck of the woods, cylinder problems are more frequent with Scouts and C-182.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Thu Jun 30 16:35:04 2022
    On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 07:34:06 -0700 (PDT), Mark Mocho wrote:

Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a
    heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast
    to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob
    103 at 1,340 lbs. Since the basis for most clubs is an older two-place trainer like the G103, a high power towplane is needed anyway,
    especially in high elevation locations like Moriarty, which regularly
    sees 9,000+ ft. density altitude. We utilize 265 HP Pawnees, and there
    are times that the climb behind even these gas guzzlers is anemic. The
    fully tanked open class glider pilots can be heard squealing for more
    speed throughout the tow, providing entertainment to those monitoring
    the radio.

A lot of UK clubs have replaced their 265 hp Pawnees with Robin DR-400
    tugs. My club has two of them, which handle anything on our field.
    Admittedly we're not high altitude (260 ft AMSL) but I've watched fully ballasted JS-1Cs being launched by them from our field on calm competition days.

Is the DR-400 available in the USA?

--

Martin | martin at
    Gregorie | gregorie dot org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Matthew Scutter on Thu Jun 30 14:07:17 2022
    In a word: Winch.

Dan
    5J

On 6/29/22 22:26, Matthew Scutter wrote:
    We’ve become addicted to horsepower. Pawnees guzzle gas and have two extra cylinders to replace. The extra ponies largely just make the pig fly. Most don’t remember that the first Pawnees only had 150hp but a lighter airframe! Up to now the clubs
    I have been at have gotten by with 150hp Super Cubs and Citabrias, but we just recently upgraded to a newish 180hp High Country Explorer (Citabria) and pit a TOST system release on it. It is an excellent towplane, with all the power we could want (at
    least for us lowlanders) and is currently in production with good support.

I am dismayed at the monster tow plane cost-spiral I have seen a number of clubs enter. It goes something like this;

Extremely wealthy and keen club members buy new super heavy, high wingloading gliders with high speed aerofoils of which only very high power towplanes can safely tow.
    The club is then locked into operating their legacy Pawnees of which maintenance and fuel costs are extremely high. Cheaper alternative tow planes are no longer an option lest these super heavies are unable to launch. The pilots of student / club
    sailplanes end up subsidizing this extravagant equipment. The student / club class pilots drift out of the sport in the face of looming 100$ aerotows for their 10,000$ Cirrus.

If there wasn't the requirement to cater for the super heavies, many clubs could be towing with ultralights running Rotax's at half the price (or less). They might even get a desirable ultralight to fly in its own right out of it. Some clubs try and
    manage this unfairness by charging heavies more or charging by time, but somehow the maths never quite works out for the clubbies.

I think our sport would have more longevity if our clubs would tell these pilots - if you're going to order a new quarter-million+ super heavy glider, fork out the extra 30k and get your own engine.

Perhaps the IGC could arrest this trend by imposing a 60kg/sqm 600kg weight limit on aerotow at world championships, or some kind of climb performance requirement - if you want to go heavier or faster, BYO engine/tug.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Martin Gregorie on Thu Jun 30 14:11:56 2022
    There is precisely one DR400 on the FAA Registry...

Dan
    5J

On 6/30/22 10:35, Martin Gregorie wrote:

heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast
    103 at 1,340 lbs. Since the basis for most clubs is an older two-place
    trainer like the G103, a high power towplane is needed anyway,
    the radio.

Admittedly we're not high altitude (260 ft AMSL) but I've watched fully ballasted JS-1Cs being launched by them from our field on calm competition days.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Thu Jun 30 20:18:54 2022
    On Thu, 30 Jun 2022 14:11:56 -0600, Dan Marotta wrote:

Dan 5J

heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with
    ballast to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather
    pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340 lbs. Since the basis for most clubs is an
    older two-place trainer like the G103, a high power towplane is needed
    anyway, especially in high elevation locations like Moriarty, which
    regularly sees 9,000+ ft. density altitude. We utilize 265 HP Pawnees,
    and there are times that the climb behind even these gas guzzlers is
    anemic. The fully tanked open class glider pilots can be heard
    squealing for more speed throughout the tow, providing entertainment
    to those monitoring the radio.

Admittedly we're not high altitude (260 ft AMSL) but I've watched fully
    ballasted JS-1Cs being launched by them from our field on calm
    competition days.

Thought that might be the case since I've not seen them mentioned on your
    side of the pond.

--

Martin | martin at

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ASM@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Thu Jun 30 15:43:06 2022
    On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 1:07:21 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:

Dan
    5J

Oh my man, you just hit the nail in the head. I think that a winch is the way to go.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to ASM on Thu Jun 30 16:16:27 2022
    On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 6:43:10 PM UTC-4, ASM wrote:

Dan
    5J
    Oh my man, you just hit the nail in the head. I think that a winch is the way to go.
    Never saw a winch do a retrieve. OBTP
    Yet I have decided that my next Pawnee project will be the " El Diablo", a great name in a line of Pawnee's . I had Dusty, then the Yellow Gorilla, my present one "Towpecker" and my plans for the final. An original PA25 150, completely restore and
    install a IO-390 and tweak the prop a bit. I think I will paint it hot red, do a DER approval on the configuration and see how the Diablo does. Probably a two year project, I have already been in touch with the DER and DAR things could be happening soon.
    OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Whiteley@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 30 20:27:13 2022
    On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 2:12:01 PM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Dan,

I think there a model designation, but nothing registered under it.

FWIW, I think they are a nice and capable tow plane.

Frank Whiteley

Dan
    5J

heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast >> to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob >> 103 at 1,340 lbs. Since the basis for most clubs is an older two-place
    trainer like the G103, a high power towplane is needed anyway,
    the radio.

A lot of UK clubs have replaced their 265 hp Pawnees with Robin DR-400 tugs. My club has two of them, which handle anything on our field. Admittedly we're not high altitude (260 ft AMSL) but I've watched fully ballasted JS-1Cs being launched by them from our field on calm competition days.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Whiteley@21:1/5 to Martin Gregorie on Thu Jun 30 20:24:36 2022
    On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 10:35:08 AM UTC-6, Martin Gregorie wrote:

Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast
    to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340 lbs. Since the basis for most clubs is an older two-place trainer like the G103, a high power towplane is needed anyway,
    are times that the climb behind even these gas guzzlers is anemic. The fully tanked open class glider pilots can be heard squealing for more
    the radio.

--

Martin | martin at
    None listed on the FAA Registry nor Type Certificate.

Frank Whiteley

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AS@21:1/5 to Frank Whiteley on Fri Jul 1 07:29:48 2022
    On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 9:27:17 PM UTC-6, Frank Whiteley wrote:
    On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 2:12:01 PM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Dan,

I think there a model designation, but nothing registered under it.

FWIW, I think they are a nice and capable tow plane.

Frank Whiteley

Dan
    5J

Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a >> heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast
    103 at 1,340 lbs. Since the basis for most clubs is an older two-place >> trainer like the G103, a high power towplane is needed anyway,
    especially in high elevation locations like Moriarty, which regularly >> sees 9,000+ ft. density altitude. We utilize 265 HP Pawnees, and there >> are times that the climb behind even these gas guzzlers is anemic. The >> fully tanked open class glider pilots can be heard squealing for more >> speed throughout the tow, providing entertainment to those monitoring >> the radio.

A lot of UK clubs have replaced their 265 hp Pawnees with Robin DR-400 tugs. My club has two of them, which handle anything on our field. Admittedly we're not high altitude (260 ft AMSL) but I've watched fully ballasted JS-1Cs being launched by them from our field on calm competition
    days.

The DR400 is a very capable tow-plane. My old club operated one until they replaced it with a DA40. It was also liked by the power pilots in our club since it seated four and could be used for family outings. Ours had a four-bladed prop and a Gomolzig
    muffler in an effort to keep the neighbors happy.
    The big draw-back is the wood and fabric construction, which requires some extra attention.

Uli
    'AS'

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AS@21:1/5 to ASM on Fri Jul 1 07:32:46 2022
    On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 4:43:10 PM UTC-6, ASM wrote:

Dan
    5J

Plus one for the winch! May not be ideal for a water-logged ASH-25 but for training and the average 15/18m glider type, definitely.

Uli
    'AS'

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Francois VG@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 2 01:11:37 2022
    In France, one sometimes considers wood and fabric an advantage, as easy to repair…

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matthew Scutter@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Sat Jul 2 03:44:07 2022
    On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 12:34:10 AM UTC+10, Mark Mocho wrote:
    Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340 lbs. Since the basis
    for most clubs is an older two-place trainer like the G103, a high power towplane is needed anyway, especially in high elevation locations like Moriarty, which regularly sees 9,000+ ft. density altitude. We utilize 265 HP Pawnees, and there are times
    that the climb behind even these gas guzzlers is anemic. The fully tanked open class glider pilots can be heard squealing for more speed throughout the tow, providing entertainment to those monitoring the radio.

There is probably a 15kt difference in stall speed between a full G103 and a full 21m JS1-C, and with the history of the JS1-C I definitely would not be taking tows with an anaemic tug. Wingloading and aerofoil properties matter too. It's far from just a
    matter of weight.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Matthew Scutter on Sat Jul 2 04:51:57 2022
    On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 6:44:09 AM UTC-4, Matthew Scutter wrote:
    Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340 lbs. Since the basis
    for most clubs is an older two-place trainer like the G103, a high power towplane is needed anyway, especially in high elevation locations like Moriarty, which regularly sees 9,000+ ft. density altitude. We utilize 265 HP Pawnees, and there are times
    that the climb behind even these gas guzzlers is anemic. The fully tanked open class glider pilots can be heard squealing for more speed throughout the tow, providing entertainment to those monitoring the radio.
    There is probably a 15kt difference in stall speed between a full G103 and a full 21m JS1-C, and with the history of the JS1-C I definitely would not be taking tows with an anaemic tug. Wingloading and aerofoil properties matter too. It's far from just
    a matter of weight.
    I often see comments regarding tow planes from non tow pilots, and the information is always interesting. I have towed with Super Cubs, Maules. Husky, C172, C180, Pawnee's from 150-265hp, AgWagon 300, and I say that there is no substitute for HP. Weight ,
    HP, wing loading and design all play an important role. The DR would not be my choice for towing, would it work in a pinch, sure, but tow weight restrictions certainly would come into consideration.
    Yes, I do pull a few heavy ships, they are not my favorite and I have imposed weight restrictions for certain aircraft. the JS-3 , full and bubbling over takes a healthy towplane to make for a comfortable and safe tow. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Galloway@21:1/5 to Matthew Scutter on Sat Jul 2 06:13:52 2022
    On Saturday, 2 July 2022 at 11:44:09 UTC+1, Matthew Scutter wrote:
    There is probably a 15kt difference in stall speed between a full G103 and a full 21m JS1-C, and with the history of the JS1-C I definitely would not be taking tows with an anaemic tug. Wingloading and aerofoil properties matter too. It's far from just
    a matter of weight.

Very much agreed Matthew. I sold a JS1C because I couldn't safely launch it ballasted behind a 100hp Eurofox.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sat Jul 2 06:16:47 2022
    On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 7:51:59 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340 lbs. Since the
    basis for most clubs is an older two-place trainer like the G103, a high power towplane is needed anyway, especially in high elevation locations like Moriarty, which regularly sees 9,000+ ft. density altitude. We utilize 265 HP Pawnees, and there are
    times that the climb behind even these gas guzzlers is anemic. The fully tanked open class glider pilots can be heard squealing for more speed throughout the tow, providing entertainment to those monitoring the radio.
    There is probably a 15kt difference in stall speed between a full G103 and a full 21m JS1-C, and with the history of the JS1-C I definitely would not be taking tows with an anaemic tug. Wingloading and aerofoil properties matter too. It's far from
    just a matter of weight.
    I often see comments regarding tow planes from non tow pilots, and the information is always interesting. I have towed with Super Cubs, Maules. Husky, C172, C180, Pawnee's from 150-265hp, AgWagon 300, and I say that there is no substitute for HP.
    Weight , HP, wing loading and design all play an important role. The DR would not be my choice for towing, would it work in a pinch, sure, but tow weight restrictions certainly would come into consideration.
    Yes, I do pull a few heavy ships, they are not my favorite and I have imposed weight restrictions for certain aircraft. the JS-3 , full and bubbling over takes a healthy towplane to make for a comfortable and safe tow. Old Bob, The Purist

It would take a gun to my head and about five times what I was being paid to tow to get me to do it again but I can tell you from my perspective there is NO substitute for horsepower. Yes, not everyone can fly the Pawnee but the 182 isn't exactly cheap
    nor are super cubs and other suggested substitutes. The 182 with a constant speed prop and cowl flaps provides the pilot with a bit more work and thinking to do. You could easily see and feel the difference when you got out of a 260 horsepower tow
    plane and into a 235.

Walt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Sat Jul 2 12:16:36 2022
    On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 9:16:48 AM UTC-4, waltco...@aol.com wrote:
    Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340 lbs. Since the
    basis for most clubs is an older two-place trainer like the G103, a high power towplane is needed anyway, especially in high elevation locations like Moriarty, which regularly sees 9,000+ ft. density altitude. We utilize 265 HP Pawnees, and there are
    times that the climb behind even these gas guzzlers is anemic. The fully tanked open class glider pilots can be heard squealing for more speed throughout the tow, providing entertainment to those monitoring the radio.
    There is probably a 15kt difference in stall speed between a full G103 and a full 21m JS1-C, and with the history of the JS1-C I definitely would not be taking tows with an anaemic tug. Wingloading and aerofoil properties matter too. It's far from
    just a matter of weight.
    I often see comments regarding tow planes from non tow pilots, and the information is always interesting. I have towed with Super Cubs, Maules. Husky, C172, C180, Pawnee's from 150-265hp, AgWagon 300, and I say that there is no substitute for HP.
    Weight , HP, wing loading and design all play an important role. The DR would not be my choice for towing, would it work in a pinch, sure, but tow weight restrictions certainly would come into consideration.
    It would take a gun to my head and about five times what I was being paid to tow to get me to do it again but I can tell you from my perspective there is NO substitute for horsepower. Yes, not everyone can fly the Pawnee but the 182 isn't exactly cheap
    nor are super cubs and other suggested substitutes. The 182 with a constant speed prop and cowl flaps provides the pilot with a bit more work and thinking to do. You could easily see and feel the difference when you got out of a 260 horsepower tow plane
    and into a 235.

Walt
    You are absolutely correct, there is NO substitute for HP during a tow, as mentioned earlier I could not imagine towing behind a 100 hp europuke! HP will save your life, in reference to the 182 , it makes a good towplane, but you better have cowl flaps.
    Walt, my days of towing are soon coming to an end, old age is creeping up and I would like to get back to flying my PURE glider, even considering a newer ship 18 meters. You can certainly bet that I will not be degrading my skills by going to some
    motorglider. If pinch comes to a shove Eileen can give ne a tow and I could do the same for her, kind of keep it in the family kind of thing. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Foster@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sat Jul 2 20:58:49 2022
    On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 1:16:38 PM UTC-6, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    There is probably a 15kt difference in stall speed between a full G103 and a full 21m JS1-C, and with the history of the JS1-C I definitely would not be taking tows with an anaemic tug. Wingloading and aerofoil properties matter too. It's far
    from just a matter of weight.
    It would take a gun to my head and about five times what I was being paid to tow to get me to do it again but I can tell you from my perspective there is NO substitute for horsepower. Yes, not everyone can fly the Pawnee but the 182 isn't exactly
    cheap nor are super cubs and other suggested substitutes. The 182 with a constant speed prop and cowl flaps provides the pilot with a bit more work and thinking to do. You could easily see and feel the difference when you got out of a 260 horsepower tow
    plane and into a 235.

Walt
    You are absolutely correct, there is NO substitute for HP during a tow, as mentioned earlier I could not imagine towing behind a 100 hp europuke! HP will save your life, in reference to the 182 , it makes a good towplane, but you better have cowl flaps.
    Walt, my days of towing are soon coming to an end, old age is creeping up and I would like to get back to flying my PURE glider, even considering a newer ship 18 meters. You can certainly bet that I will not be degrading my skills by going to some
    motorglider. If pinch comes to a shove Eileen can give ne a tow and I could do the same for her, kind of keep it in the family kind of thing. Old Bob, The Purist

What are your thoughts on this option? Seems very anemic to me.

https://youtu.be/0Q7xIOvUY6k

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to johngf...@gmail.com on Sun Jul 3 03:46:07 2022
    On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 11:58:50 PM UTC-4, johngf...@gmail.com wrote:
    Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340 lbs. Since
    the basis for most clubs is an older two-place trainer like the G103, a high power towplane is needed anyway, especially in high elevation locations like Moriarty, which regularly sees 9,000+ ft. density altitude. We utilize 265 HP Pawnees, and there are
    There is probably a 15kt difference in stall speed between a full G103 and a full 21m JS1-C, and with the history of the JS1-C I definitely would not be taking tows with an anaemic tug. Wingloading and aerofoil properties matter too. It's far
    It would take a gun to my head and about five times what I was being paid to tow to get me to do it again but I can tell you from my perspective there is NO substitute for horsepower. Yes, not everyone can fly the Pawnee but the 182 isn't exactly
    cheap nor are super cubs and other suggested substitutes. The 182 with a constant speed prop and cowl flaps provides the pilot with a bit more work and thinking to do. You could easily see and feel the difference when you got out of a 260 horsepower tow
    plane and into a 235.

Walt
    You are absolutely correct, there is NO substitute for HP during a tow, as mentioned earlier I could not imagine towing behind a 100 hp europuke! HP will save your life, in reference to the 182 , it makes a good towplane, but you better have cowl
    flaps. Walt, my days of towing are soon coming to an end, old age is creeping up and I would like to get back to flying my PURE glider, even considering a newer ship 18 meters. You can certainly bet that I will not be degrading my skills by going to some

I would not be comfortable in towing with such an anemic powered towplane! I see these sport craft planes at our strip most everyday, and there is no way that they can handle the extreme application needs of towing our gliders. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sun Jul 3 07:08:09 2022
    On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 6:46:10 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340 lbs. Since
    the basis for most clubs is an older two-place trainer like the G103, a high power towplane is needed anyway, especially in high elevation locations like Moriarty, which regularly sees 9,000+ ft. density altitude. We utilize 265 HP Pawnees, and there are
    I often see comments regarding tow planes from non tow pilots, and the information is always interesting. I have towed with Super Cubs, Maules. Husky, C172, C180, Pawnee's from 150-265hp, AgWagon 300, and I say that there is no substitute for
    HP. Weight , HP, wing loading and design all play an important role. The DR would not be my choice for towing, would it work in a pinch, sure, but tow weight restrictions certainly would come into consideration.
    plane and into a 235.

Walt
    You are absolutely correct, there is NO substitute for HP during a tow, as mentioned earlier I could not imagine towing behind a 100 hp europuke! HP will save your life, in reference to the 182 , it makes a good towplane, but you better have cowl
    flaps. Walt, my days of towing are soon coming to an end, old age is creeping up and I would like to get back to flying my PURE glider, even considering a newer ship 18 meters. You can certainly bet that I will not be degrading my skills by going to some

I would not be comfortable in towing with such an anemic powered towplane! I see these sport craft planes at our strip most everyday, and there is no way that they can handle the extreme application needs of towing our gliders. Old Bob, The Purist

Aerospool WT9 Dynamic with fixed landing gear
    Data from Bayerl, Tacke and Aerospool[2][3][6]
    General characteristics
    * Crew: one
    * Capacity: one passenger
    * Length: 6.40 m (21 ft 0 in)
    * Wingspan: 9.00 m (29 ft 6 in)
    * Height: 2 m (6 ft 7 in)
    * Wing area: 10.35 m2 (111.4 sq ft)
    * Empty weight: 264 kg (582 lb)
    * Gross weight: 450 kg (992 lb)
    * Fuel capacity: 75 litres (16 imp gal; 20 US gal) standard, 125 litres (27 imp gal; 33 US gal) optional
    * Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 912ULS four cylinder, liquid and air-cooled, four stroke, 75 kW (101 hp)
    Performance

PA-25-235 Pawnee C
    Data from: Macdonald Aircraft Handbook [4]
    General characteristics[edit]
    * Crew: One
    * Capacity: 150 US gal (568 L) or 1,500 lb (545 kg) of chemicals
    * Length: 24 ft 9 in (7.55 m)
    * Wingspan: 36 ft 2 in (11.02 m)
    * Height: 7 ft 2 in (2.19 m)
    * Wing area: 183 ft2 (17.0 m2)
    * Empty: 1,457 lb (662 kg)
    * Loaded: 2,900 lb (1,317 kg)
    * Maximum takeoff: 2,900 lb (1,317 kg)
    * Powerplant: 1 x Lycoming O-540-B2B5, 235 hp (175 kW)
    At a glance without crunching numbers it would appear that the power to weight ratio is about the same when comparing the two aircraft. The improved aerodynamics of the Dynamic when compared to the Pawnee seems to be in favor of the Dynamic, I like the
    retractable tow cable system too. The question is cost, not just operationally but upfront purchase price. Depending on who is writing the checks, this might be an option or perhaps not. Considering I had to argue with someone about ordering a 100
    dollar mixture cable, some people may not see the long range advantage of some of the newer aircraft. The advantage of having two seats which would allow for training of new tow pilots is a plus. I personally would always opt for the higher horsepower
    version. JMHO.

Walt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 3 08:03:28 2022
    * Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 912ULS four cylinder, liquid and air-cooled, four stroke, 75 kW (101 hp)

101 HP should be sufficient to tow a ballasted JS-1C 21 m from one end of the runway to the other. And back. But not into the air.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Sun Jul 3 10:11:11 2022
    I don't think you'd want the hopper full while towing gliders (at least
    I never did). Dropping that 1,500 lb skews the power to weight ratio in
    favor of the Pawnee.

Dan
    5J

On 7/3/22 08:08, waltco...@aol.com wrote:
    On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 11:58:50 PM UTC-4, johngf...@gmail.com wrote: >>> On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 1:16:38 PM UTC-6, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote: >>>> On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 9:16:48 AM UTC-4, waltco...@aol.com wrote: >>>>> On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 7:51:59 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 6:44:09 AM UTC-4, Matthew Scutter wrote: >>>>>>> On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 12:34:10 AM UTC+10, Mark Mocho wrote: >>>>>>>> Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340 lbs. Since the
    plane and into a 235.

Walt

General characteristics
    * Length: 6.40 m (21 ft 0 in)
    * Wingspan: 9.00 m (29 ft 6 in)
    * Height: 2 m (6 ft 7 in)
    * Wing area: 10.35 m2 (111.4 sq ft)
    * Empty weight: 264 kg (582 lb)
    * Gross weight: 450 kg (992 lb)
    * Fuel capacity: 75 litres (16 imp gal; 20 US gal) standard, 125 litres (27 imp gal; 33 US gal) optional
    * Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 912ULS four cylinder, liquid and air-cooled, four stroke, 75 kW (101 hp)
    Performance

PA-25-235 Pawnee C
    * Capacity: 150 US gal (568 L) or 1,500 lb (545 kg) of chemicals
    * Length: 24 ft 9 in (7.55 m)
    * Wingspan: 36 ft 2 in (11.02 m)
    * Height: 7 ft 2 in (2.19 m)
    * Wing area: 183 ft2 (17.0 m2)
    * Empty: 1,457 lb (662 kg)
    * Loaded: 2,900 lb (1,317 kg)
    * Maximum takeoff: 2,900 lb (1,317 kg)
    * Powerplant: 1 x Lycoming O-540-B2B5, 235 hp (175 kW)
    At a glance without crunching numbers it would appear that the power to weight ratio is about the same when comparing the two aircraft. The improved aerodynamics of the Dynamic when compared to the Pawnee seems to be in favor of the Dynamic, I like
    the retractable tow cable system too. The question is cost, not just operationally but upfront purchase price. Depending on who is writing the checks, this might be an option or perhaps not. Considering I had to argue with someone about ordering a
    100 dollar mixture cable, some people may not see the long range advantage of some of the newer aircraft. The advantage of having two seats which would allow for training of new tow pilots is a plus. I personally would always opt for the higher
    horsepower version. JMHO.

Walt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Sun Jul 3 10:18:25 2022
    On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 12:11:16 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
    I never did). Dropping that 1,500 lb skews the power to weight ratio in favor of the Pawnee.

Dan
    5J
    On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 9:16:48 AM UTC-4, waltco...@aol.com wrote: >>>>> On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 7:51:59 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 6:44:09 AM UTC-4, Matthew Scutter wrote: >>>>>>> On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 12:34:10 AM UTC+10, Mark Mocho wrote: >>>>>>>> Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340 lbs. Since
    plane and into a 235.

Walt

General characteristics
    * Length: 6.40 m (21 ft 0 in)
    * Wingspan: 9.00 m (29 ft 6 in)
    * Height: 2 m (6 ft 7 in)
    * Wing area: 10.35 m2 (111.4 sq ft)
    * Empty weight: 264 kg (582 lb)
    * Gross weight: 450 kg (992 lb)
    * Fuel capacity: 75 litres (16 imp gal; 20 US gal) standard, 125 litres (27 imp gal; 33 US gal) optional
    * Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 912ULS four cylinder, liquid and air-cooled, four stroke, 75 kW (101 hp)
    Performance

PA-25-235 Pawnee C
    * Capacity: 150 US gal (568 L) or 1,500 lb (545 kg) of chemicals
    * Length: 24 ft 9 in (7.55 m)
    * Wingspan: 36 ft 2 in (11.02 m)
    * Height: 7 ft 2 in (2.19 m)
    * Wing area: 183 ft2 (17.0 m2)
    * Empty: 1,457 lb (662 kg)
    * Loaded: 2,900 lb (1,317 kg)
    * Maximum takeoff: 2,900 lb (1,317 kg)
    * Powerplant: 1 x Lycoming O-540-B2B5, 235 hp (175 kW)
    At a glance without crunching numbers it would appear that the power to weight ratio is about the same when comparing the two aircraft. The improved aerodynamics of the Dynamic when compared to the Pawnee seems to be in favor of the Dynamic, I like
    the retractable tow cable system too. The question is cost, not just operationally but upfront purchase price. Depending on who is writing the checks, this might be an option or perhaps not. Considering I had to argue with someone about ordering a 100
    dollar mixture cable, some people may not see the long range advantage of some of the newer aircraft. The advantage of having two seats which would allow for training of new tow pilots is a plus. I personally would always opt for the higher horsepower
    version. JMHO.

Walt

I was looking at empty weight, 1500 to 600 approximately. Again, the price is and will be the determining factor going forward.
    Walt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Sun Jul 3 14:21:19 2022
    I never did). Dropping that 1,500 lb skews the power to weight ratio in favor of the Pawnee.

Dan
    5J
    On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 9:16:48 AM UTC-4, waltco...@aol.com wrote: >>>>> On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 7:51:59 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 6:44:09 AM UTC-4, Matthew Scutter wrote: >>>>>>> On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 12:34:10 AM UTC+10, Mark Mocho wrote: >>>>>>>> Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340 lbs. Since
    plane and into a 235.

Walt

General characteristics
    * Fuel capacity: 75 litres (16 imp gal; 20 US gal) standard, 125 litres (27 imp gal; 33 US gal) optional
    Performance

PA-25-235 Pawnee C
    the retractable tow cable system too. The question is cost, not just operationally but upfront purchase price. Depending on who is writing the checks, this might be an option or perhaps not. Considering I had to argue with someone about ordering a 100
    version. JMHO.

Walt
    My Pawnee weighs in at 1134 pounds , HP 265, you do the math!!! Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Stuart Venters@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sun Jul 3 16:37:30 2022
    On 7/3/22 16:21, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    favor of the Pawnee.

Dan
    5J
    On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 6:46:10 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote: >>>> On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 11:58:50 PM UTC-4, johngf...@gmail.com wrote: >>>>> On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 1:16:38 PM UTC-6, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 9:16:48 AM UTC-4, waltco...@aol.com wrote: >>>>>>> On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 7:51:59 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 6:44:09 AM UTC-4, Matthew Scutter wrote: >>>>>>>>> On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 12:34:10 AM UTC+10, Mark Mocho wrote: >>>>>>>>>> Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340 lbs. Since
    plane and into a 235.

Walt

General characteristics
    Performance

PA-25-235 Pawnee C
    version. JMHO.

Walt
    My Pawnee weighs in at 1134 pounds , HP 265, you do the math!!! Old Bob, The Purist
    Doing the math:

Pawnee 1880/235 = 8.0
    Aerospool 862/101 = 8.5 (better, but not significant)

But adding in the 1000 pound glider behind that it is trying to accelerate, Pawnee 2880/235 = 12.3
    Aerospool 1862/101 = 18 (Significantly less)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?Q?St=C3=A9phane_Vander_Veke@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 4 00:26:26 2022
    Le dimanche 3 juillet 2022 à 23:37:36 UTC+2, Stuart Venters a écrit :
    I don't think you'd want the hopper full while towing gliders (at least >> I never did). Dropping that 1,500 lb skews the power to weight ratio in >> favor of the Pawnee.

Dan
    5J
    On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 6:46:10 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote: >>>> On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 11:58:50 PM UTC-4, johngf...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 12:34:10 AM UTC+10, Mark Mocho wrote: >>>>>>>>>> Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340 lbs. Since
    I often see comments regarding tow planes from non tow pilots, and the information is always interesting. I have towed with Super Cubs, Maules. Husky, C172, C180, Pawnee's from 150-265hp, AgWagon 300, and I say that there is no substitute for
    HP. Weight , HP, wing loading and design all play an important role. The DR would not be my choice for towing, would it work in a pinch, sure, but tow weight restrictions certainly would come into consideration.
    It would take a gun to my head and about five times what I was being paid to tow to get me to do it again but I can tell you from my perspective there is NO substitute for horsepower. Yes, not everyone can fly the Pawnee but the 182 isn't
    exactly cheap nor are super cubs and other suggested substitutes. The 182 with a constant speed prop and cowl flaps provides the pilot with a bit more work and thinking to do. You could easily see and feel the difference when you got out of a 260
    horsepower tow plane and into a 235.

Walt
    You are absolutely correct, there is NO substitute for HP during a tow, as mentioned earlier I could not imagine towing behind a 100 hp europuke! HP will save your life, in reference to the 182 , it makes a good towplane, but you better have
    cowl flaps. Walt, my days of towing are soon coming to an end, old age is creeping up and I would like to get back to flying my PURE glider, even considering a newer ship 18 meters. You can certainly bet that I will not be degrading my skills by going to
    some motorglider. If pinch comes to a shove Eileen can give ne a tow and I could do the same for her, kind of keep it in the family kind of thing. Old Bob, The Purist

General characteristics
    Performance

PA-25-235 Pawnee C
    version. JMHO.

Walt
    Doing the math:

Pawnee 1880/235 = 8.0

But adding in the 1000 pound glider behind that it is trying to accelerate, Pawnee 2880/235 = 12.3

I have been towed by a Dynamic at Saint-Auban (France) and by a Super Dimona motorglider in Germany, both with a Rotax 115 hp IIRC. It is a non-event, IF you've got a concrete runway. On grass, it will entirely depend on the quality of the surface. The
    problem is only on the ground: you have to get the tow moving and accelerating, and you need enough HP for that. Once airborne, the aerodynamic quality of the Dynamic or motorglider compared to a classic tug is such, that the available horspower for
    climbing (after substracting the HP needed to overcome aerodynamic drag) is roughly comparable. You get roughly the same vertical speed. The French did have a prototype with an airframe similar to the Dynamic, but with a 180 hp engine. It was an ideal
    tug, but didn't go into production.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 4 06:49:28 2022
    On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 1:26:28 AM UTC-6, Stéphane Vander Veken wrote:
    Le dimanche 3 juillet 2022 à 23:37:36 UTC+2, Stuart Venters a écrit :
    I don't think you'd want the hopper full while towing gliders (at least >> I never did). Dropping that 1,500 lb skews the power to weight ratio in >> favor of the Pawnee.

Dan
    5J
    On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 12:34:10 AM UTC+10, Mark Mocho wrote: >>>>>>>>>> Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340 lbs.
    Since the basis for most clubs is an older two-place trainer like the G103, a high power towplane is needed anyway, especially in high elevation locations like Moriarty, which regularly sees 9,000+ ft. density altitude. We utilize 265 HP Pawnees, and
    there are times that the climb behind even these gas guzzlers is anemic. The fully tanked open class glider pilots can be heard squealing for more speed throughout the tow, providing entertainment to those monitoring the radio.
    There is probably a 15kt difference in stall speed between a full G103 and a full 21m JS1-C, and with the history of the JS1-C I definitely would not be taking tows with an anaemic tug. Wingloading and aerofoil properties matter too. It's
    far from just a matter of weight.
    I often see comments regarding tow planes from non tow pilots, and the information is always interesting. I have towed with Super Cubs, Maules. Husky, C172, C180, Pawnee's from 150-265hp, AgWagon 300, and I say that there is no substitute
    for HP. Weight , HP, wing loading and design all play an important role. The DR would not be my choice for towing, would it work in a pinch, sure, but tow weight restrictions certainly would come into consideration.
    It would take a gun to my head and about five times what I was being paid to tow to get me to do it again but I can tell you from my perspective there is NO substitute for horsepower. Yes, not everyone can fly the Pawnee but the 182 isn't
    exactly cheap nor are super cubs and other suggested substitutes. The 182 with a constant speed prop and cowl flaps provides the pilot with a bit more work and thinking to do. You could easily see and feel the difference when you got out of a 260

Walt
    You are absolutely correct, there is NO substitute for HP during a tow, as mentioned earlier I could not imagine towing behind a 100 hp europuke! HP will save your life, in reference to the 182 , it makes a good towplane, but you better have
    cowl flaps. Walt, my days of towing are soon coming to an end, old age is creeping up and I would like to get back to flying my PURE glider, even considering a newer ship 18 meters. You can certainly bet that I will not be degrading my skills by going to
    some motorglider. If pinch comes to a shove Eileen can give ne a tow and I could do the same for her, kind of keep it in the family kind of thing. Old Bob, The Purist
    What are your thoughts on this option? Seems very anemic to me. >>>>>
    I would not be comfortable in towing with such an anemic powered towplane! I see these sport craft planes at our strip most everyday, and there is no way that they can handle the extreme application needs of towing our gliders. Old Bob, The
    Purist

General characteristics
    Performance

PA-25-235 Pawnee C
    At a glance without crunching numbers it would appear that the power to weight ratio is about the same when comparing the two aircraft. The improved aerodynamics of the Dynamic when compared to the Pawnee seems to be in favor of the Dynamic, I
    like the retractable tow cable system too. The question is cost, not just operationally but upfront purchase price. Depending on who is writing the checks, this might be an option or perhaps not. Considering I had to argue with someone about ordering a
    100 dollar mixture cable, some people may not see the long range advantage of some of the newer aircraft. The advantage of having two seats which would allow for training of new tow pilots is a plus. I personally would always opt for the higher

Walt
    Doing the math:

Pawnee 1880/235 = 8.0

But adding in the 1000 pound glider behind that it is trying to accelerate,
    Pawnee 2880/235 = 12.3
    I have been towed by a Dynamic at Saint-Auban (France) and by a Super Dimona motorglider in Germany, both with a Rotax 115 hp IIRC. It is a non-event, IF you've got a concrete runway. On grass, it will entirely depend on the quality of the surface. The
    problem is only on the ground: you have to get the tow moving and accelerating, and you need enough HP for that. Once airborne, the aerodynamic quality of the Dynamic or motorglider compared to a classic tug is such, that the available horspower for
    climbing (after substracting the HP needed to overcome aerodynamic drag) is roughly comparable. You get roughly the same vertical speed. The French did have a prototype with an airframe similar to the Dynamic, but with a 180 hp engine. It was an ideal
    Bikle's altitude record was set with a tow out of KWJF to 10,000' behind an 85hp Luscombe.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matthew Scutter@21:1/5 to Stuart Venters on Mon Jul 4 07:20:06 2022
    On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 7:37:36 AM UTC+10, Stuart Venters wrote:

Dan
    5J
    On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 6:46:10 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote: >>>> On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 11:58:50 PM UTC-4, johngf...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 12:34:10 AM UTC+10, Mark Mocho wrote: >>>>>>>>>> Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340 lbs. Since

Walt

General characteristics
    Performance

PA-25-235 Pawnee C
    version. JMHO.

Walt
    Doing the math:

Pawnee 1880/235 = 8.0

The newer Dynamic's have 914 or 915 engines with up to 141hp. They're highly aerodynamic, especially the retracts.
    I did see a video of a 912 Dynamic with 100hp towed the 900kg 31m eta out of Prievidza once upon a time, but as I recall a lot of people had to push to get it rolling. As per the point I made earlier though - I don't think we should be hanging onto tugs
    like the Pawnee just so we can tow the odd super heavy, when something with lower operating costs could cater to 90% of the fleet.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to Matthew Scutter on Mon Jul 4 08:49:06 2022
    On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 10:20:08 AM UTC-4, Matthew Scutter wrote:

Dan
    5J
    On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 12:34:10 AM UTC+10, Mark Mocho wrote: >>>>>>>>>> Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340 lbs.
    Since the basis for most clubs is an older two-place trainer like the G103, a high power towplane is needed anyway, especially in high elevation locations like Moriarty, which regularly sees 9,000+ ft. density altitude. We utilize 265 HP Pawnees, and
    there are times that the climb behind even these gas guzzlers is anemic. The fully tanked open class glider pilots can be heard squealing for more speed throughout the tow, providing entertainment to those monitoring the radio.
    There is probably a 15kt difference in stall speed between a full G103 and a full 21m JS1-C, and with the history of the JS1-C I definitely would not be taking tows with an anaemic tug. Wingloading and aerofoil properties matter too. It's
    I often see comments regarding tow planes from non tow pilots, and the information is always interesting. I have towed with Super Cubs, Maules. Husky, C172, C180, Pawnee's from 150-265hp, AgWagon 300, and I say that there is no substitute
    for HP. Weight , HP, wing loading and design all play an important role. The DR would not be my choice for towing, would it work in a pinch, sure, but tow weight restrictions certainly would come into consideration.

Walt
    I would not be comfortable in towing with such an anemic powered towplane! I see these sport craft planes at our strip most everyday, and there is no way that they can handle the extreme application needs of towing our gliders. Old Bob, The
    Purist

General characteristics
    Performance

PA-25-235 Pawnee C
    At a glance without crunching numbers it would appear that the power to weight ratio is about the same when comparing the two aircraft. The improved aerodynamics of the Dynamic when compared to the Pawnee seems to be in favor of the Dynamic, I
    like the retractable tow cable system too. The question is cost, not just operationally but upfront purchase price. Depending on who is writing the checks, this might be an option or perhaps not. Considering I had to argue with someone about ordering a

Walt
    Doing the math:

Pawnee 1880/235 = 8.0

Pawnee 2880/235 = 12.3
    The newer Dynamic's have 914 or 915 engines with up to 141hp. They're highly aerodynamic, especially the retracts.
    I did see a video of a 912 Dynamic with 100hp towed the 900kg 31m eta out of Prievidza once upon a time, but as I recall a lot of people had to push to get it rolling. As per the point I made earlier though - I don't think we should be hanging onto
    tugs like the Pawnee just so we can tow the odd super heavy, when something with lower operating costs could cater to 90% of the fleet.

The 141 hp engine with an airframe of such improved aerodynamics should work quite well. I believe they can also be turbocharged? Again though, it will be a cost consideration and all too often people see a short term vs long term view.

Walt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to sgs...@gmail.com on Mon Jul 4 13:46:20 2022
    On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 9:49:30 AM UTC-4, sgs...@gmail.com wrote:
    favor of the Pawnee.

Dan
    5J
    Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340 lbs.

Walt
    Purist

General characteristics
    Performance

PA-25-235 Pawnee C

Walt
    Doing the math:

Pawnee 1880/235 = 8.0

Pawnee 2880/235 = 12.3
    I have been towed by a Dynamic at Saint-Auban (France) and by a Super Dimona motorglider in Germany, both with a Rotax 115 hp IIRC. It is a non-event, IF you've got a concrete runway. On grass, it will entirely depend on the quality of the surface.
    The problem is only on the ground: you have to get the tow moving and accelerating, and you need enough HP for that. Once airborne, the aerodynamic quality of the Dynamic or motorglider compared to a classic tug is such, that the available horspower for
    Bikle's altitude record was set with a tow out of KWJF to 10,000' behind an 85hp Luscombe.
    I knew Paul, spoke with him many times about that flight, I can assure you that he would have been happier with a 236-265 Pawnee. I was once towed with a 65 hp J-3 finally got me to where I could release and go, but it did work. I guess Burt Compton
    still remembers towing off his dad's field with a J-3. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Mon Jul 4 17:39:21 2022
    The Rotax 915 iS is electronically fuel injected and turbocharged. It
    develops 141 hp. I have one installed in my home built gyro plane.
    Great engine!

Dan
    5J

On 7/4/22 09:49, waltco...@aol.com wrote:
    On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 10:20:08 AM UTC-4, Matthew Scutter wrote:
    I don't think you'd want the hopper full while towing gliders (at least >>>>> I never did). Dropping that 1,500 lb skews the power to weight ratio in >>>>> favor of the Pawnee.

Dan
    5J
    On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 6:46:10 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote: >>>>>>> On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 11:58:50 PM UTC-4, johngf...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, July 1, 2022 at 12:34:10 AM UTC+10, Mark Mocho wrote: >>>>>>>>>>>>> Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340 lbs. Since

Walt
    What are your thoughts on this option? Seems very anemic to me. >>>>>>>>

General characteristics
    Performance

PA-25-235 Pawnee C

Walt
    Doing the math:

Pawnee 1880/235 = 8.0

But adding in the 1000 pound glider behind that it is trying to accelerate, >>> Pawnee 2880/235 = 12.3
    I did see a video of a 912 Dynamic with 100hp towed the 900kg 31m eta out of Prievidza once upon a time, but as I recall a lot of people had to push to get it rolling. As per the point I made earlier though - I don't think we should be hanging onto
    tugs like the Pawnee just so we can tow the odd super heavy, when something with lower operating costs could cater to 90% of the fleet.

The 141 hp engine with an airframe of such improved aerodynamics should work quite well. I believe they can also be turbocharged? Again though, it will be a cost consideration and all too often people see a short term vs long term view.

Walt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From stephen.szikora.t3@gmail.com@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Mon Jul 4 16:51:04 2022
    On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 4:46:22 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    favor of the Pawnee.

Dan
    5J
    Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340 lbs.
    There is probably a 15kt difference in stall speed between a full G103 and a full 21m JS1-C, and with the history of the JS1-C I definitely would not be taking tows with an anaemic tug. Wingloading and aerofoil properties matter too. It'
    s far from just a matter of weight.
    I often see comments regarding tow planes from non tow pilots, and the information is always interesting. I have towed with Super Cubs, Maules. Husky, C172, C180, Pawnee's from 150-265hp, AgWagon 300, and I say that there is no
    substitute for HP. Weight , HP, wing loading and design all play an important role. The DR would not be my choice for towing, would it work in a pinch, sure, but tow weight restrictions certainly would come into consideration.
    Yes, I do pull a few heavy ships, they are not my favorite and I have imposed weight restrictions for certain aircraft. the JS-3 , full and bubbling over takes a healthy towplane to make for a comfortable and safe tow. Old Bob, The
    Purist

Walt
    You are absolutely correct, there is NO substitute for HP during a tow, as mentioned earlier I could not imagine towing behind a 100 hp europuke! HP will save your life, in reference to the 182 , it makes a good towplane, but you better
    have cowl flaps. Walt, my days of towing are soon coming to an end, old age is creeping up and I would like to get back to flying my PURE glider, even considering a newer ship 18 meters. You can certainly bet that I will not be degrading my skills by
    going to some motorglider. If pinch comes to a shove Eileen can give ne a tow and I could do the same for her, kind of keep it in the family kind of thing. Old Bob, The Purist
    Purist

General characteristics
    Performance

PA-25-235 Pawnee C
    * Capacity: 150 US gal (568 L) or 1,500 lb (545 kg) of chemicals >>> * Length: 24 ft 9 in (7.55 m)
    At a glance without crunching numbers it would appear that the power to weight ratio is about the same when comparing the two aircraft. The improved aerodynamics of the Dynamic when compared to the Pawnee seems to be in favor of the Dynamic,
    I like the retractable tow cable system too. The question is cost, not just operationally but upfront purchase price. Depending on who is writing the checks, this might be an option or perhaps not. Considering I had to argue with someone about ordering a

Walt
    Doing the math:

Pawnee 1880/235 = 8.0

Pawnee 2880/235 = 12.3
    I have been towed by a Dynamic at Saint-Auban (France) and by a Super Dimona motorglider in Germany, both with a Rotax 115 hp IIRC. It is a non-event, IF you've got a concrete runway. On grass, it will entirely depend on the quality of the surface.
    The problem is only on the ground: you have to get the tow moving and accelerating, and you need enough HP for that. Once airborne, the aerodynamic quality of the Dynamic or motorglider compared to a classic tug is such, that the available horspower for
    I knew Paul, spoke with him many times about that flight, I can assure you that he would have been happier with a 236-265 Pawnee. I was once towed with a 65 hp J-3 finally got me to where I could release and go, but it did work. I guess Burt Compton
    My old club used to tow with a Tiger Moth!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kirk.stant@21:1/5 to stephen.s...@gmail.com on Mon Jul 4 20:46:19 2022
    On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 6:51:06 PM UTC-5, stephen.s...@gmail.com wrote:
    favor of the Pawnee.

Dan
    5J
    There is probably a 15kt difference in stall speed between a full G103 and a full 21m JS1-C, and with the history of the JS1-C I definitely would not be taking tows with an anaemic tug. Wingloading and aerofoil properties matter too.
    It's far from just a matter of weight.
    I often see comments regarding tow planes from non tow pilots, and the information is always interesting. I have towed with Super Cubs, Maules. Husky, C172, C180, Pawnee's from 150-265hp, AgWagon 300, and I say that there is no
    substitute for HP. Weight , HP, wing loading and design all play an important role. The DR would not be my choice for towing, would it work in a pinch, sure, but tow weight restrictions certainly would come into consideration.
    Yes, I do pull a few heavy ships, they are not my favorite and I have imposed weight restrictions for certain aircraft. the JS-3 , full and bubbling over takes a healthy towplane to make for a comfortable and safe tow. Old Bob, The
    Purist
    It would take a gun to my head and about five times what I was being paid to tow to get me to do it again but I can tell you from my perspective there is NO substitute for horsepower. Yes, not everyone can fly the Pawnee but the 182 isn'
    t exactly cheap nor are super cubs and other suggested substitutes. The 182 with a constant speed prop and cowl flaps provides the pilot with a bit more work and thinking to do. You could easily see and feel the difference when you got out of a 260

Walt
    You are absolutely correct, there is NO substitute for HP during a tow, as mentioned earlier I could not imagine towing behind a 100 hp europuke! HP will save your life, in reference to the 182 , it makes a good towplane, but you better
    have cowl flaps. Walt, my days of towing are soon coming to an end, old age is creeping up and I would like to get back to flying my PURE glider, even considering a newer ship 18 meters. You can certainly bet that I will not be degrading my skills by
    going to some motorglider. If pinch comes to a shove Eileen can give ne a tow and I could do the same for her, kind of keep it in the family kind of thing. Old Bob, The Purist

I would not be comfortable in towing with such an anemic powered towplane! I see these sport craft planes at our strip most everyday, and there is no way that they can handle the extreme application needs of towing our gliders. Old Bob,
    The Purist

General characteristics
    Performance

PA-25-235 Pawnee C
    * Capacity: 150 US gal (568 L) or 1,500 lb (545 kg) of chemicals >>> * Length: 24 ft 9 in (7.55 m)
    At a glance without crunching numbers it would appear that the power to weight ratio is about the same when comparing the two aircraft. The improved aerodynamics of the Dynamic when compared to the Pawnee seems to be in favor of the Dynamic,
    I like the retractable tow cable system too. The question is cost, not just operationally but upfront purchase price. Depending on who is writing the checks, this might be an option or perhaps not. Considering I had to argue with someone about ordering
    a 100 dollar mixture cable, some people may not see the long range advantage of some of the newer aircraft. The advantage of having two seats which would allow for training of new tow pilots is a plus. I personally would always opt for the higher

Walt
    Doing the math:

Pawnee 1880/235 = 8.0

Pawnee 2880/235 = 12.3
    I have been towed by a Dynamic at Saint-Auban (France) and by a Super Dimona motorglider in Germany, both with a Rotax 115 hp IIRC. It is a non-event, IF you've got a concrete runway. On grass, it will entirely depend on the quality of the
    surface. The problem is only on the ground: you have to get the tow moving and accelerating, and you need enough HP for that. Once airborne, the aerodynamic quality of the Dynamic or motorglider compared to a classic tug is such, that the available
    horspower for climbing (after substracting the HP needed to overcome aerodynamic drag) is roughly comparable. You get roughly the same vertical speed. The French did have a prototype with an airframe similar to the Dynamic, but with a 180 hp engine. It
    was an ideal tug, but didn't go into production.

As much as I love towing in the Pawnee (and in 180 Super Cubs - 172s, not so much), I think the future will be a winch (preferably electric) + FES (or equivalent). Gets rid of the noise problem, of the need for expensive aircraft maintenance and parts
    for the tow plane, eliminates need for aviation fuel, no more cranky tow pilots, and no more landing out in a carbon fiber toy that costs more than most peoples' house. Well, most of the time...

Or, everybody just stays home and flies any glider anywhere they want in MSFS with a VR headset...

Kirk

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to kirk.stant on Tue Jul 5 04:31:39 2022
    On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 11:46:21 PM UTC-4, kirk.stant wrote:
    On Monday, July 4, 2022 at 6:51:06 PM UTC-5, stephen.s...@gmail.com wrote:
    favor of the Pawnee.

Dan
    5J
    Matthew raises a good point about the horsepower required for towing a heavy "supership," but the JS1-C with 21 meter span, loaded with ballast to MTOW of 1,323 lbs. isn't much different to the rather pedestrian Grob 103 at 1,340
    lbs. Since the basis for most clubs is an older two-place trainer like the G103, a high power towplane is needed anyway, especially in high elevation locations like Moriarty, which regularly sees 9,000+ ft. density altitude. We utilize 265 HP Pawnees,
    and there are times that the climb behind even these gas guzzlers is anemic. The fully tanked open class glider pilots can be heard squealing for more speed throughout the tow, providing entertainment to those monitoring the radio.
    There is probably a 15kt difference in stall speed between a full G103 and a full 21m JS1-C, and with the history of the JS1-C I definitely would not be taking tows with an anaemic tug. Wingloading and aerofoil properties matter too.
    It's far from just a matter of weight.
    Purist
    It would take a gun to my head and about five times what I was being paid to tow to get me to do it again but I can tell you from my perspective there is NO substitute for horsepower. Yes, not everyone can fly the Pawnee but the 182
    isn't exactly cheap nor are super cubs and other suggested substitutes. The 182 with a constant speed prop and cowl flaps provides the pilot with a bit more work and thinking to do. You could easily see and feel the difference when you got out of a 260

Walt
    You are absolutely correct, there is NO substitute for HP during a tow, as mentioned earlier I could not imagine towing behind a 100 hp europuke! HP will save your life, in reference to the 182 , it makes a good towplane, but you
    better have cowl flaps. Walt, my days of towing are soon coming to an end, old age is creeping up and I would like to get back to flying my PURE glider, even considering a newer ship 18 meters. You can certainly bet that I will not be degrading my skills
    by going to some motorglider. If pinch comes to a shove Eileen can give ne a tow and I could do the same for her, kind of keep it in the family kind of thing. Old Bob, The Purist

I would not be comfortable in towing with such an anemic powered towplane! I see these sport craft planes at our strip most everyday, and there is no way that they can handle the extreme application needs of towing our gliders. Old Bob,
    The Purist

General characteristics
    Performance

PA-25-235 Pawnee C
    At a glance without crunching numbers it would appear that the power to weight ratio is about the same when comparing the two aircraft. The improved aerodynamics of the Dynamic when compared to the Pawnee seems to be in favor of the
    Dynamic, I like the retractable tow cable system too. The question is cost, not just operationally but upfront purchase price. Depending on who is writing the checks, this might be an option or perhaps not. Considering I had to argue with someone about
    ordering a 100 dollar mixture cable, some people may not see the long range advantage of some of the newer aircraft. The advantage of having two seats which would allow for training of new tow pilots is a plus. I personally would always opt for the
    higher horsepower version. JMHO.

Walt
    Doing the math:

Pawnee 1880/235 = 8.0

Pawnee 2880/235 = 12.3
    I have been towed by a Dynamic at Saint-Auban (France) and by a Super Dimona motorglider in Germany, both with a Rotax 115 hp IIRC. It is a non-event, IF you've got a concrete runway. On grass, it will entirely depend on the quality of the
    surface. The problem is only on the ground: you have to get the tow moving and accelerating, and you need enough HP for that. Once airborne, the aerodynamic quality of the Dynamic or motorglider compared to a classic tug is such, that the available
    horspower for climbing (after substracting the HP needed to overcome aerodynamic drag) is roughly comparable. You get roughly the same vertical speed. The French did have a prototype with an airframe similar to the Dynamic, but with a 180 hp engine. It
    was an ideal tug, but didn't go into production.
    I knew Paul, spoke with him many times about that flight, I can assure you that he would have been happier with a 236-265 Pawnee. I was once towed with a 65 hp J-3 finally got me to where I could release and go, but it did work. I guess Burt
    Compton still remembers towing off his dad's field with a J-3. Old Bob, The Purist
    As much as I love towing in the Pawnee (and in 180 Super Cubs - 172s, not so much), I think the future will be a winch (preferably electric) + FES (or equivalent). Gets rid of the noise problem, of the need for expensive aircraft maintenance and parts
    for the tow plane, eliminates need for aviation fuel, no more cranky tow pilots, and no more landing out in a carbon fiber toy that costs more than most peoples' house. Well, most of the time...

Or, everybody just stays home and flies any glider anywhere they want in MSFS with a VR headset...

Kirk
    And the cause for one being a cranky tow pilot???

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 5 06:05:41 2022

I don't think there is a "cause." I think it's one of the requirements for the rating. :-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 5 07:41:01 2022
    Yes, those are valid reasons to be cranky, but do we want nice, laid-back tow pilots who will let this behavior continue? Or do we need crotchety, old SOBs who will attempt to stamp out shaky performance from the pilot on the end of the trolling line?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Tue Jul 5 07:17:27 2022
    On Tuesday, July 5, 2022 at 9:05:43 AM UTC-4, Mark Mocho wrote:
    I don't think there is a "cause." I think it's one of the requirements for the rating. :-)
    Cause and effect!
    Cause, glider pilot not ready at the flight line, glider pilot has no idea how to safely stay behind the tow plane, glider pilot giving towing instructions over the radio, glider pilot tinkering with instruments while on tow, glider pilot screwing with
    GoPro on tow, glider pilot texting while on tow, glider pilot cannot simply pull the release at the signaled time, shall I say more?
    Effect, causes the tow pilot to become grumpy, tired of the stupidity, has much better things to do on a 97degree day with 90% humidity sitting in a hot Pawnee, waiting for the next clown.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Foster@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Tue Jul 5 09:47:10 2022
    On Tuesday, July 5, 2022 at 8:41:03 AM UTC-6, Mark Mocho wrote:
    Yes, those are valid reasons to be cranky, but do we want nice, laid-back tow pilots who will let this behavior continue? Or do we need crotchety, old SOBs who will attempt to stamp out shaky performance from the pilot on the end of the trolling line?

I agree that winching needs to be the future. The other issue of concern I have about the Dynamic is that typically (correct me if I'm wrong), most European glider ports are at lower altitudes. St. Auban is only at 1,500 ft (less than 500m) AGL, so
    density altitudes in the heat of summer are "moderate". In the western US/Rocky Mountains, many airfields are above 5,000ft (1,500m) with density altitudes sometimes in excess of 10,000 ft (3,000 m). This is where, I believe, horsepower becomes
    essential.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Whiteley@21:1/5 to johngf...@gmail.com on Tue Jul 5 11:14:39 2022
    On Tuesday, July 5, 2022 at 10:47:12 AM UTC-6, johngf...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, July 5, 2022 at 8:41:03 AM UTC-6, Mark Mocho wrote:
    I agree that winching needs to be the future. The other issue of concern I have about the Dynamic is that typically (correct me if I'm wrong), most European glider ports are at lower altitudes. St. Auban is only at 1,500 ft (less than 500m) AGL, so
    density altitudes in the heat of summer are "moderate". In the western US/Rocky Mountains, many airfields are above 5,000ft (1,500m) with density altitudes sometimes in excess of 10,000 ft (3,000 m). This is where, I believe, horsepower becomes essential.

5500MSL with density altitudes above 9000ft frequently at our location. Winch still works, but a few knots of headwind always helps. So would more power.

Had a chat with Bruno about a few things he experienced on his recent winch soarfari. He said the winch was decidedly lacking in power at Creede, CO, 8680MSL. Not sure what the density altitude might have been that day but certinly over 10000. IIRC,
    he mentioned a slight tailwind which could have been worse one or two spans above the runway.

Frank Whiteley

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Moshe Braner@21:1/5 to Tony on Tue Jul 5 15:42:47 2022
    On 7/4/2022 9:49 AM, Tony wrote:

I once got a tow (flying an HP14) behind a Luscombe that also carried a
    full-size passenger, through the rotor on a wave day, to about 4000
    AGL. That was rather uncomfortable (due to the turbulence) and took a
    long time (due to the lower power). And, while Bikle would have found
    the wave, I only found the sink, and beat the plane back to the airport ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Tue Jul 5 13:49:44 2022
    On Tuesday, July 5, 2022 at 10:41:03 AM UTC-4, Mark Mocho wrote:

I've been trying , from both ends, to reduce stupid pilot stuff for more than 40 years. We emphasize these issues at every safety meeting.
    We still continue to have pilots not ready to go, with checklist complete, when the tug shows up. We're at about 50% most days. We talk till we are blue in the face about how we lose the picture of the traffic situation when the pace is broken. We also
    have to mix with a towed hang glider operation(talk about random events).
    Most common tow pilot yell-" Get in the fucking glider!"
    But we still love it and do it anyway.
    We reserve the right to be cranky.
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Hank Nixon on Tue Jul 5 15:05:51 2022
    On Tuesday, July 5, 2022 at 4:49:46 PM UTC-4, Hank Nixon wrote:
    I've been trying , from both ends, to reduce stupid pilot stuff for more than 40 years. We emphasize these issues at every safety meeting.
    We still continue to have pilots not ready to go, with checklist complete, when the tug shows up. We're at about 50% most days. We talk till we are blue in the face about how we lose the picture of the traffic situation when the pace is broken. We also
    have to mix with a towed hang glider operation(talk about random events).
    UH
    You have never met cranky until you meet OBTP, I take ass chewing to a new level! I even had a glider pilot get out of his glider because he forgot to put his chute on. Or what about an instructor doing a debriefing while you are sitting there burning
    100LL at 7 plus bucks a gallon, don't blame me, I did not vote for the clown! Yes, us old cranky tow pilots certainly have reason to snarl at the so called glider pilots when they are holding up the entire operation. Do NOT think that motor glider
    sissies are any better at getting the heck out of the way. The ones that I have seen just sit there with the peanut engine running trying to gather attention prior to some anemic takeoff and motoring around like John Wayne in some kind of western shoot
    out .I have a rule book for glider pilots and rule number 5 simply states , Don't Piss Off The Pow Pilot. it could very well be your last tow.
    Someone once told me that they thought UH was grumpy until they met me. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George Haeh@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 7 17:12:04 2022
    Winch with turbo diesel works fine launching 2-seaters at 3900' even on hot days.

If the wind is low, you get a few extra hundred feet if the winch driver focuses on the tension gauge instead of the speedometer.

The advantage of a winch over a towplane is that the winch weight stays on the ground.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dale bush@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Thu Jul 7 18:21:03 2022
    On Tuesday, July 5, 2022 at 3:05:52 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Yes, those are valid reasons to be cranky, but do we want nice, laid-back tow pilots who will let this behavior continue? Or do we need crotchety, old SOBs who will attempt to stamp out shaky performance from the pilot on the end of the trolling
    line?
    We still continue to have pilots not ready to go, with checklist complete, when the tug shows up. We're at about 50% most days. We talk till we are blue in the face about how we lose the picture of the traffic situation when the pace is broken. We
    also have to mix with a towed hang glider operation(talk about random events).
    UH
    You have never met cranky until you meet OBTP, I take ass chewing to a new level! I even had a glider pilot get out of his glider because he forgot to put his chute on. Or what about an instructor doing a debriefing while you are sitting there burning
    100LL at 7 plus bucks a gallon, don't blame me, I did not vote for the clown! Yes, us old cranky tow pilots certainly have reason to snarl at the so called glider pilots when they are holding up the entire operation. Do NOT think that motor glider
    sissies are any better at getting the heck out of the way. The ones that I have seen just sit there with the peanut engine running trying to gather attention prior to some anemic takeoff and motoring around like John Wayne in some kind of western shoot
    out .I have a rule book for glider pilots and rule number 5 simply states , Don't Piss Off The Pow Pilot. it could very well be your last tow.
    Someone once told me that they thought UH was grumpy until they met me. Old Bob, The Purist

Old Bob, do a deep dive into the cause of high gas prices and then get back to us explaining just how it’s Biden’s fault.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to twofiv...@gmail.com on Fri Jul 8 04:56:06 2022
    On Thursday, July 7, 2022 at 9:21:05 PM UTC-4, twofiv...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, July 5, 2022 at 3:05:52 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Yes, those are valid reasons to be cranky, but do we want nice, laid-back tow pilots who will let this behavior continue? Or do we need crotchety, old SOBs who will attempt to stamp out shaky performance from the pilot on the end of the trolling
    line?
    We still continue to have pilots not ready to go, with checklist complete, when the tug shows up. We're at about 50% most days. We talk till we are blue in the face about how we lose the picture of the traffic situation when the pace is broken. We
    UH
    You have never met cranky until you meet OBTP, I take ass chewing to a new level! I even had a glider pilot get out of his glider because he forgot to put his chute on. Or what about an instructor doing a debriefing while you are sitting there
    burning 100LL at 7 plus bucks a gallon, don't blame me, I did not vote for the clown! Yes, us old cranky tow pilots certainly have reason to snarl at the so called glider pilots when they are holding up the entire operation. Do NOT think that motor
    glider sissies are any better at getting the heck out of the way. The ones that I have seen just sit there with the peanut engine running trying to gather attention prior to some anemic takeoff and motoring around like John Wayne in some kind of western
    shoot out .I have a rule book for glider pilots and rule number 5 simply states , Don't Piss Off The Pow Pilot. it could very well be your last tow.
    Old Bob, do a deep dive into the cause of high gas prices and then get back to us explaining just how it’s Biden’s fault.
    Twofive, pay close attention, you may learn something.
    1-Long before the invasion of Ukraine old prices were increasing.
    2- Poor world energy policies, ie, Green Tank Radicals.
    3- One day Executive Order cancels Keystone pipeline disrupting 800, 000 barrels a day toward USA.
    4-Biden administration undermining energy policies.
    5-Inflation, CPI up 7.9% from 2020.
    6- Oil Futures Cost!
    7- The energy political salience created by the Biden administration
    8- Greater restrictions on drilling.
    Now I hope this bit of factual information gets you through the day, with the Biden administration approval rating in the 20% ratings maybe Trump was not such a bad guy after all, at least we could eat affordable grilled chicken wings. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Fri Jul 8 06:31:08 2022
    On Tuesday, July 5, 2022 at 6:05:52 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    line?
    UH

Most glider pilots only get to observe a few tows, theirs and a few in front of them. The tow pilot sees them all, careless, stupid, dangerous, all of them. My record day was 57 tows, 90 percent were just fine and the remaining 10 percent were in need
    of paying better attention or some additional training. Any comments I may have made to them later went in one ear and out the other. If in 10 percent of your life you find yourself in near peril you need to reevaluate your situation. Maybe I was just
    being grumpy?

I wonder how many times a day a busy operation was saved of an accident by an observant (or maybe grumpy) tow pilot? I was looking in the mirror one day as I thought I could see a solo pilot get in the back seat of a training glider. The Japanese
    students who hooked him up seemed concerned but being polite Japanese and only students themselves they seemed to think maybe it was okay? I shut down and walked back to make sure I saw what I thought I saw and there he was, empty front seat, him in the
    back. Asked him what his intention was and he informed me he had been checked out to fly in the back seat. I informed him of the minimum weight requirement for the front seat and suggested he do a weight and balance in his current situation. I also
    suggested he discuss with his instructor what he was about to do. I believe I might have prevented an accident that day, he flew from the front. I'm not sure how badly it would have handled under those conditions but I didn't want him to find out the
    hard way. Just being a grumpy old tow pilot.

I remember an impatient glider pilot sitting in position for a tow as I pulled up to the pumps to refuel. I had a hard and fast rule of 1.5 hours on the tach at which time I would refuel. He came on the radio and asked, "Hey tow plane, don't you have
    one more tow in that gas tank?" I'm sure I did but I was thirsty and needed to relieve myself, flying in the hot Florida sun can drain you and it is a safety measure to hydrate on a regular basis. I told him I just might have but I didn't want to find
    out the hard way that I didn't. Was I being grumpy? He had some unkind words for me at the end of the day but I let it pass. I guess there are grumpy glider pilots too. Not long after that I observed the most experienced and senior tow pilot at the
    operation take off, make a turn to the upwind and a few seconds later heard the engine back fire heavily. He had run out of fuel maybe 500 feet in the air. He released and made it back to the field. I helped him push the plane up to the pumps, I must
    have had an incredulous look on my face. He shrugged off the incident and said "Walt, you worry too much." No, I worry just the right amount, always have always will. Had that happened a few seconds earlier I'm sure we would have had a significant
    accident on our hands.

My last squadron commander in Vietnam was a full Colonel, he had done it all, flew P51's and F86s in Korea, the F4 over North Vietnam. He was often thought to be grumpy but in retrospect I understood that he only insisted things be done right, the USAF
    way, no stone left unturned, by the book. Sometimes he had to crack the whip to get people to perform. We had a perfect operational record under his command, not so his predecessor.

Sometimes people have a reason to be grumpy, tow pilots among them. Have a nice day everyone, I hope to get to fly a helicopter today. Gonna see how my back feels in that rock assed hard Gimbal Cabri G2 seat.

Walt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jacque Meoff@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Sun Jul 10 07:29:11 2022
    On Friday, July 8, 2022 at 8:31:10 AM UTC-5, waltco...@aol.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, July 5, 2022 at 6:05:52 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    line?
    UH
    You have never met cranky until you meet OBTP, I take ass chewing to a new level! I even had a glider pilot get out of his glider because he forgot to put his chute on. Or what about an instructor doing a debriefing while you are sitting there
    burning 100LL at 7 plus bucks a gallon, don't blame me, I did not vote for the clown! Yes, us old cranky tow pilots certainly have reason to snarl at the so called glider pilots when they are holding up the entire operation. Do NOT think that motor
    glider sissies are any better at getting the heck out of the way. The ones that I have seen just sit there with the peanut engine running trying to gather attention prior to some anemic takeoff and motoring around like John Wayne in some kind of western
    shoot out .I have a rule book for glider pilots and rule number 5 simply states , Don't Piss Off The Pow Pilot. it could very well be your last tow.
    Most glider pilots only get to observe a few tows, theirs and a few in front of them. The tow pilot sees them all, careless, stupid, dangerous, all of them. My record day was 57 tows, 90 percent were just fine and the remaining 10 percent were in need
    of paying better attention or some additional training. Any comments I may have made to them later went in one ear and out the other. If in 10 percent of your life you find yourself in near peril you need to reevaluate your situation. Maybe I was just
    being grumpy?

I wonder how many times a day a busy operation was saved of an accident by an observant (or maybe grumpy) tow pilot? I was looking in the mirror one day as I thought I could see a solo pilot get in the back seat of a training glider. The Japanese
    students who hooked him up seemed concerned but being polite Japanese and only students themselves they seemed to think maybe it was okay? I shut down and walked back to make sure I saw what I thought I saw and there he was, empty front seat, him in the
    back. Asked him what his intention was and he informed me he had been checked out to fly in the back seat. I informed him of the minimum weight requirement for the front seat and suggested he do a weight and balance in his current situation. I also
    suggested he discuss with his instructor what he was about to do. I believe I might have prevented an accident that day, he flew from the front. I'm not sure how badly it would have handled under those conditions but I didn't want him to find out the
    hard way. Just being a grumpy old tow pilot.

I remember an impatient glider pilot sitting in position for a tow as I pulled up to the pumps to refuel. I had a hard and fast rule of 1.5 hours on the tach at which time I would refuel. He came on the radio and asked, "Hey tow plane, don't you have
    one more tow in that gas tank?" I'm sure I did but I was thirsty and needed to relieve myself, flying in the hot Florida sun can drain you and it is a safety measure to hydrate on a regular basis. I told him I just might have but I didn't want to find
    out the hard way that I didn't. Was I being grumpy? He had some unkind words for me at the end of the day but I let it pass. I guess there are grumpy glider pilots too. Not long after that I observed the most experienced and senior tow pilot at the
    operation take off, make a turn to the upwind and a few seconds later heard the engine back fire heavily. He had run out of fuel maybe 500 feet in the air. He released and made it back to the field. I helped him push the plane up to the pumps, I must
    have had an incredulous look on my face. He shrugged off the incident and said "Walt, you worry too much." No, I worry just the right amount, always have always will. Had that happened a few seconds earlier I'm sure we would have had a significant
    accident on our hands.

My last squadron commander in Vietnam was a full Colonel, he had done it all, flew P51's and F86s in Korea, the F4 over North Vietnam. He was often thought to be grumpy but in retrospect I understood that he only insisted things be done right, the USAF
    way, no stone left unturned, by the book. Sometimes he had to crack the whip to get people to perform. We had a perfect operational record under his command, not so his predecessor.

Sometimes people have a reason to be grumpy, tow pilots among them. Have a nice day everyone, I hope to get to fly a helicopter today. Gonna see how my back feels in that rock assed hard Gimbal Cabri G2 seat.

Walt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Uri Savoray@21:1/5 to sgs...@gmail.com on Mon Jul 11 06:40:29 2022
    On Tuesday, 28 June 2022 at 23:12:56 UTC+3, sgs...@gmail.com wrote:

Anybody looking at LSA/Ultralight airplanes as tow planes in the USA: notice that they are usually tested and certified to tow with a MAX weak link of 300 KGf (3000N, 661 pounds), which is the minimum EASA requires. This doesn't comply with the FAR for
    any but the lightest gliders (minimum 80% of glider max weight).

Can anyone recall what the origin of this rule (FAR 91.309)? There is no similar restriction in Europe, AFAIK.

As a note: we conducted some experiments, measuring the actual forces on the tow rope when towing a G103. We couldn't exert more than 200KGf no matter how we abused the the glider.
    Uri

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Whiteley@21:1/5 to sgs...@gmail.com on Mon Jul 11 22:34:25 2022
    On Tuesday, June 28, 2022 at 2:12:56 PM UTC-6, sgs...@gmail.com wrote:

FWIW, Arizona Soaring's Facebook page has pictures of it's new, zero time Puelche (Pawnee PA-25-260) and announces that they are the US/Canada rep with Laviasa Aircraft, the producer. Nothing on their web site yet.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Frank Whiteley on Wed Jul 13 19:19:00 2022
    On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 10:34:27 PM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote:
    On Tuesday, June 28, 2022 at 2:12:56 PM UTC-6, sgs...@gmail.com wrote:

FWIW, Arizona Soaring's Facebook page has pictures of it's new, zero time Puelche (Pawnee PA-25-260) and announces that they are the US/Canada rep with Laviasa Aircraft, the producer. Nothing on their web site yet.

Tows are being done at Ely, NV (9kft density altitude) with a 230hp C-182. I saw a 1969 C-182 with a low-time 230hp engine for sale at $76k. It would be much easier to find tow pilots because of the tricycle gear. A club could do a lease-back to generate
    more revenue.

Of course, I got out of tow plane/tow pilot hell by buying a motorglider years ago.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05