• Flying in NW Montana

From John Foster@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 27 12:28:44 2022
    For those interested in trying out a new soaring location, I invite you to come fly out of Ronan, MT. We are in the Mission Valley, with the Mission Mountains immediately to our east. Ronan Airport is just short of 4,800' long at an elevation of 3,086'.
    Tows are available behind a Cessna 170 with a 180hp motor. For more information on tows and availability, call Monte Baer at Mission Aviation (406) 274-7818.

This area has a lot of untapped potential, I believe. If you fly Condor, there is a landscape available called Northwest Montana (NW Montana), which I recommend to get an introduction/orientation to the area.

I also have YouTube videos of my flights so far from this airport. https://youtu.be/jJauZN0tH7s

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 27 15:16:29 2022
    Thanks for the information.Are you the Foster from Utah?
    When would be the ideal Soaring time of the year?
    Thanks,

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Foster@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 27 17:36:27 2022
    On Monday, June 27, 2022 at 4:16:32 PM UTC-6, R wrote:
    Thanks,

R

No, I'm not from Utah. Now is turning out to be pretty decent soaring, but I've only had two flights here so far, so am just getting to know the area myself. Late spring/early summer I believe would be the best time here (now). After July 4 we often
    get wildfire smoke, and a high pressure system that makes the air undesirably stable. But the early fall/September should be good as well. It doesn't seem to be the "booming" conditions typical of the western US, but the scenery is amazing. It is
    certainly soarable country though.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to johngf...@gmail.com on Sat Jul 2 12:48:58 2022
    On Monday, June 27, 2022 at 5:36:30 PM UTC-7, johngf...@gmail.com wrote:
    Thanks,

R
    No, I'm not from Utah. Now is turning out to be pretty decent soaring, but I've only had two flights here so far, so am just getting to know the area myself. Late spring/early summer I believe would be the best time here (now). After July 4 we often
    get wildfire smoke, and a high pressure system that makes the air undesirably stable. But the early fall/September should be good as well. It doesn't seem to be the "booming" conditions typical of the western US, but the scenery is amazing. It is

The issue I see is that the ramp space is not huge, so you might be able to get a half dozen gliders tied down, depending upon how many tie downs are in use. At Parowan, UT the new and improved ramp redesign has cut the number we can tie down there (w/o
    resorting to the dirt) to 21. And gliders are mostly getting bigger, not smaller. There also is no crosswind runway, although there are a lot of landable fields close by.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Foster@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 2 20:49:43 2022
    On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 1:48:59 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:
    Thanks,

R
    The issue I see is that the ramp space is not huge, so you might be able to get a half dozen gliders tied down, depending upon how many tie downs are in use. At Parowan, UT the new and improved ramp redesign has cut the number we can tie down there (w/
    o resorting to the dirt) to 21. And gliders are mostly getting bigger, not smaller. There also is no crosswind runway, although there are a lot of landable fields close by.

Tom

Come visit sometime and see for yourself.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charles Longley@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 2 21:38:44 2022
    You’re joking right? All we have in Twisp is dirt to tie down on. Oh wait you’re a motor-glider. pilot….
    On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 12:48:59 PM UTC-7, 2G wrote:
    Thanks,

R
    The issue I see is that the ramp space is not huge, so you might be able to get a half dozen gliders tied down, depending upon how many tie downs are in use. At Parowan, UT the new and improved ramp redesign has cut the number we can tie down there (w/
    o resorting to the dirt) to 21. And gliders are mostly getting bigger, not smaller. There also is no crosswind runway, although there are a lot of landable fields close by.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to kuzi...@gmail.com on Sun Jul 3 14:37:47 2022
    On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 12:38:46 AM UTC-4, kuzi...@gmail.com wrote:
    You’re joking right? All we have in Twisp is dirt to tie down on. Oh wait you’re a motor-glider. pilot….
    Thanks,

R
    No, I'm not from Utah. Now is turning out to be pretty decent soaring, but I've only had two flights here so far, so am just getting to know the area myself. Late spring/early summer I believe would be the best time here (now). After July 4 we
    often get wildfire smoke, and a high pressure system that makes the air undesirably stable. But the early fall/September should be good as well. It doesn't seem to be the "booming" conditions typical of the western US, but the scenery is amazing. It is
    The issue I see is that the ramp space is not huge, so you might be able to get a half dozen gliders tied down, depending upon how many tie downs are in use. At Parowan, UT the new and improved ramp redesign has cut the number we can tie down there (
    w/o resorting to the dirt) to 21. And gliders are mostly getting bigger, not smaller. There also is no crosswind runway, although there are a lot of landable fields close by.

Tom
    You must understand that Uncle Tom is a lost soul, don't pay ant attention to his BS. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sun Jul 3 17:09:34 2022
    On 7/3/2022 2:37 PM, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 12:38:46 AM UTC-4, kuzi...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, June 27, 2022 at 5:36:30 PM UTC-7, johngf...@gmail.com wrote: >>>> On Monday, June 27, 2022 at 4:16:32 PM UTC-6, R wrote:
    Thanks,

R
    The issue I see is that the ramp space is not huge, so you might be able to get a half dozen gliders tied down, depending upon how many tie downs are in use. At Parowan, UT the new and improved ramp redesign has cut the number we can tie down there (
    w/o resorting to the dirt) to 21. And gliders are mostly getting bigger, not smaller. There also is no crosswind runway, although there are a lot of landable fields close by.

Tom
    You must understand that Uncle Tom is a lost soul, don't pay ant attention to his BS. Old Bob, The Purist

A better explanation: Tom flies a motorglider that does not require a towplane; at 21M
    it's big and heavy, most easily operated on pavement with lots of space; and good
    tiedowns, since rigging/derigging is lengthy and tedious.

It is a nice area to fly, though I've done so only from St. Ignatius airport, about 20
    miles to the south.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AWhitesell@21:1/5 to johngf...@gmail.com on Wed Jul 6 12:56:42 2022
    John,
    Could you send me contact info?
    I'll be heading up to Polson in a week.
    Al
    mtn 'dot' aire at yahoo

On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 9:49:44 PM UTC-6, johngf...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, July 2, 2022 at 1:48:59 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:
    Thanks,

R
    No, I'm not from Utah. Now is turning out to be pretty decent soaring, but I've only had two flights here so far, so am just getting to know the area myself. Late spring/early summer I believe would be the best time here (now). After July 4 we
    often get wildfire smoke, and a high pressure system that makes the air undesirably stable. But the early fall/September should be good as well. It doesn't seem to be the "booming" conditions typical of the western US, but the scenery is amazing. It is

Tom
    Come visit sometime and see for yourself.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05