• Prescott Soaring

From Shaun Wheeler@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 20 12:20:25 2022
    Just read this morning that Prescott Soaring has lost their lease. Just a great bunch of people and a wonderful operation.

I hope something turns up for them at a good location.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to shaunw...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 20 13:10:41 2022
    On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 3:20:29 PM UTC-4, shaunw...@gmail.com wrote:
    Just read this morning that Prescott Soaring has lost their lease. Just a great bunch of people and a wonderful operation.

Sad to hear that another glider operation is confronted with a possible closure or hopefully relocation. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Whiteley@21:1/5 to shaunw...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 21 10:13:07 2022
    On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 1:20:29 PM UTC-6, shaunw...@gmail.com wrote:

According to the chapter president, Arizona Land Trust is cancelling special use permits with all aviation related activities on AZ public lands without providing any reasons for the change. I reached out to Recreational Aviation Foundation and they put
    me in touch with their liaison in the Arizona Pilots Association. The Arizona Land Trust closed something like 43 air strips on public land in 2005, when the special permitting began. The airport where Turf Soaring was located was permanently closed in
    the past two years, and the death of the owner of the special use permit was given as the reason. APA has been fighting access to trust lands as an included public recreational use. Residents buy recreational permits annually. Special permits are
    issued for exclusive use. The trust may dispose of lands at public auction. There is substantial growth in the Prescott area, so auction of this land for development is a likely outcome. The chapter had recently purchased two hangars, but fortunately
    had not erected them at this site. The RAF/APA rep suggested they demand a specific reason for denial the special purpose permit anyway, just to put some sunlight on the process. He said there are virtually no aviation related special permits active in
    Arizona at this time.

Funds raised by the recreational permits and sale of lands support education in Arizona.

Frank Whiteley
    SSA Director, Region 9

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Frank Whiteley on Tue Jun 21 13:43:04 2022
    On Tuesday, June 21, 2022 at 1:13:11 PM UTC-4, Frank Whiteley wrote:
    On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 1:20:29 PM UTC-6, shaunw...@gmail.com wrote:

According to the chapter president, Arizona Land Trust is cancelling special use permits with all aviation related activities on AZ public lands without providing any reasons for the change. I reached out to Recreational Aviation Foundation and they
    put me in touch with their liaison in the Arizona Pilots Association. The Arizona Land Trust closed something like 43 air strips on public land in 2005, when the special permitting began. The airport where Turf Soaring was located was permanently closed
    in the past two years, and the death of the owner of the special use permit was given as the reason. APA has been fighting access to trust lands as an included public recreational use. Residents buy recreational permits annually. Special permits are
    issued for exclusive use. The trust may dispose of lands at public auction. There is substantial growth in the Prescott area, so auction of this land for development is a likely outcome. The chapter had recently purchased two hangars, but fortunately had
    not erected them at this site. The RAF/APA rep suggested they demand a specific reason for denial the special purpose permit anyway, just to put some sunlight on the process. He said there are virtually no aviation related special permits active in
    Arizona at this time.

Funds raised by the recreational permits and sale of lands support education in Arizona.

Frank Whiteley
    SSA Director, Region 9
    Well, welcome to the world of legality decisions. Some lawyer probably convinced the authority that there was some type of implied risk, yet they hide behind the sovereign immunity clause. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05