• Crash at Rifle CO

From John Good@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 10 07:09:42 2022
    After a long flight in good conditions, Shmulik Dimenstein yesterday died in the crash of his HpH Shark glider, near his home airport at Rifle, Colorado. The cause of the crash is under investigation; possibly relevant is a singular gust of 43 kts (
    recorded by the airport ASOS near the time of the crash) on an otherwise benign day.

Even a quick look at OLC results over the past several years will show Shmulik’s skill at – and love for – long flights among the mountains of western Colorado (and neighboring states). Less apparent will be his extraordinary hospitality to those
    who came to fly gliders at Rifle. He was a valued friend not only to glider pilots but also to the Rifle airport staff and the local FBO.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From John Godfrey@21:1/5 to John Good on Fri Jun 10 07:26:22 2022
    On Friday, June 10, 2022 at 10:09:44 AM UTC-4, John Good wrote:
    After a long flight in good conditions, Shmulik Dimenstein yesterday died in the crash of his HpH Shark glider, near his home airport at Rifle, Colorado. The cause of the crash is under investigation; possibly relevant is a singular gust of 43 kts (
    recorded by the airport ASOS near the time of the crash) on an otherwise benign day.

Even a quick look at OLC results over the past several years will show Shmulik’s skill at – and love for – long flights among the mountains of western Colorado (and neighboring states). Less apparent will be his extraordinary hospitality to those
    who came to fly gliders at Rifle. He was a valued friend not only to glider pilots but also to the Rifle airport staff and the local FBO.
    Very sad to see. Condolences to his family and friends.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 10 07:56:43 2022
    This is a shocker. He was highly experienced and I hope the riddle is answered so that I (we) can learn from it.
    I had the privilege of joining the regulars at Rifle last June for a short visit to learn and experience mountain flying and Shumlik was the Host and a mentor.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MNLou@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 10 08:38:22 2022
    Hard to believe. Even harder to stomach. He was a great guy.

RIP Schmulie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ramy@21:1/5 to MNLou on Fri Jun 10 08:46:14 2022
    Oh no! Terrible news!

On Friday, June 10, 2022 at 8:38:24 AM UTC-7, MNLou wrote:
    Hard to believe. Even harder to stomach. He was a great guy.

RIP Schmulie

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George Haeh@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 10 09:26:23 2022
    Very sad to hear. I myself had a narrow escape from a vortex / downburst encounter that I was able to identify with data supplied by my Air Glide S to my Oudie.

Key items were TAS and GS at one second intervals.

If anybody has access to the recorder(s), methodology is available at:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1NeKc6B2S3XeDY0Q1Z6NXdsd2s?resourcekey=0-HMr9FEeYd1ZUuNPA7qlLRg

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Good@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 10 09:54:11 2022
    I'll add that Shmulik's ability to make friends with and relate well to all he met were quite remarkable, and had a lot to do with the good experience that visiting glider pilots consistently enjoyed at Rifle.

He lived for a good while in Charlotte NC and was of course friends with another Charlotte resident: Charlie Spratt. I can pay him no higher compliment than to note that his interpersonal skills were "Spratt-level".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nicholas Kennedy@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 10 10:15:57 2022
    On Friday, June 10, 2022 at 10:54:13 AM UTC-6, John Good

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/timeseries?site=KRIL

On this chart it shows at 5:40 the wind at Rifle AP going from a mild W- NW day to South at 30 G43
    RIP Shmulik Dimenstein
    Nick
    T

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AS@21:1/5 to nickkennedy...@gmail.com on Fri Jun 10 18:22:28 2022
    On Friday, June 10, 2022 at 1:15:59 PM UTC-4, nickkennedy...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, June 10, 2022 at 10:54:13 AM UTC-6, John Good

https://www.weather.gov/wrh/timeseries?site=KRIL

On this chart it shows at 5:40 the wind at Rifle AP going from a mild W- NW day to South at 30 G43
    RIP Shmulik Dimenstein
    Nick
    T

I am seriously bummed-out by this sad news! When Shmulik did come to visit the Carolinas, he typically did show up at the airport in Spartanburg and we would have dinner together. He even offered to tow for us while here.
    In 2017, we met in Montrose, CO and he did give me some pointers on flying that part of the Rockies.
    We would sporadically chat about his latest great flight in the Rifle area.
    He was truly a great pilot and individual.
    Rest in Peace, my friend!

Uli
    'AS'

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Hills@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 11 11:01:00 2022
    He was a current member of the Piedmont Soaring Society near Winston-Salem NC and last flew here in April with his friend Gidi.
    He was always keen to help out whether it was flying the tow plane or instructing but really enjoyed cross country flying the most.

There will be a Celbration of his Life in Charlotte on Wednesday 15th from 5:00pm .t.o 9:00pm

7209 Graybeard Ct
    Charlotte
    NC 28226

R.I.P Shmulik

Bob 7U

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Good@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 13 21:31:06 2022
    This is a first-hand account of the crash, by Rick Roelke (who also flew from Rifle CO on June 9):

------------------------------------------------

I originally wrote this to be read by glider pilots. But it became apparent it would also be of interest to non-pilot friends and relatives wishing to better understand how this accident could happen to such a talented and experienced pilot. To aid that
    understanding I will preface the report with a glossary of pertinent terms. To my pilot readers: feel free to skip this section. I also ask forgiveness for abbreviated explanations: this is not intended as a textbook, but merely to provide context for
    laypersons.

Virga

Virga is snow/rain falling from a cloud, that evaporates before it hits the ground. It is a common phenomenon in the western US. We do not see it as often in the east as it takes dry air and a high cloud base to cause the evaporation. It can cause
    clouds to take on the appearance of a jellyfish, with rounded tops and dangling tentacles.

Stall Speed

Aircraft fly by having air pass over the wings. If the speed of the aircraft falls below a certain minimum the wings can no longer provide the lift required to support the aircraft. That event is called a stall. This moment of stall can be (often is)
    abrupt. With adequate altitude the aircraft pitches down, regains flying speed and returns to controlled flight. All pilots are trained and practice stall recovery regularly. Stall speed is the minimum speed the aircraft can be flown controllably.

Sink

Gliders fly long distances by locating rising air and climbing in that air. What goes up must come down: descending air is called sink.

Microburst

Microbursts are narrow columns of rapidly descending air. They are associated with thunderstorms but can be caused by other sources. The one featured in this report was likely caused by the virga. The snow/rain falling from the clouds above start cool
    and then further cool by evaporation. This cold air is more dense than the surrounding air and starts to sink. Given favorable conditions this air can accelerate. When this rapidly descending air meets the ground it spreads out to become a sudden
    horizontal wind: a gust. The best kitchen analogy is water flowing from your tap and hitting a plate in the sink. The falling water splashes out sideways.

ASOS

Automated Surface Observing System. This is an automated weather reporting system that continually broadcasts the local (on airport) conditions.

---- End glossary ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four gliders flew out of Rifle on June 9th 2022. We all launched around 11:00 and moved to the north side of the valley. It was tough to find that first good climb, but Shmulik found one, leaving the rest of us floundering low. Eventually we did get
    away. Long story short we all ended up going in different directions, all having great flights. They were not without challenges but nothing spooky, just enough work to be rewarding. In a flight of about 600 km, Shmulik made his goal of Duchesne UT, and
    was happy about that. We made plans to be on the ground at 6:00 and all converged on the Rifle area in time for that.

There was virga in the area, and it got my attention as Shmulik had warned me on a previous trip to be careful with local virga. I was listening intently to the ASOS for wind or gusts, letting it repeat 5 or 6 times with the exact same report: 9 kts
    straight down the runway; no gusts. Later, as we got ready to land, the same benign report. OK I thought - the virga is clearly a non-issue. As we will learn, it was the whole issue.

There was virga over the airport (elevation 5537 ft) and to the north of the valley, and northeast as well. None of the wisps extended below 11,000 ft (cloud base was approximately 19,000). Cloud cover was scattered. The clouds producing virga were not
    towering - they were perhaps a bit bigger than non-producing clouds, but not much. It was a point of interest to me as we don't see a lot of it in the eastern US - I was wondering what drove the difference.

Shmulik and I discussed the landing order: as he was a bit lower we agreed he would go first. After we decided this, we heard a Challenger jet announce “Taxiing to 26 for takeoff”. That was the runway we would use to land.

Rifle has a moderate amount of bizjet traffic; not constant but present. We always try to accommodate and be polite citizens. Shmulik called the Challenger and offered to delay but got no reply. I was still high so it was no problem for me. He tried
    again, with no reply. It’s worth noting that Shmulik had a close call in the past: a jet pulled onto the runway in front of him with no radio call. This near miss was avoided only by the jet taking off immediately in front of him. I am sure he did
    not want to repeat that. I speculate that the Challenger was on a different frequency temporarily, perhaps the ASOS.

As he descended, he called that he was in heavy sink and was going to make left traffic for Runway 26 (for which the normal traffic pattern is right). Shortly after this a call came from the Challenger that there was a glider crash.

I was not sure I’d heard it correctly so I asked for clarification. “There has been a glider crash and we see no movement.” They truly had a front-row seat, as moments before they were hit by a gust so strong that they had rotated their jet to
    avoid a compressor stall.

I then asked if the runway was clear, was told yes, then landed uneventfully into the 9 mph headwinds. I am not sure of the time between our landings - I would guess it was 5 min. The other glider pilots landed without problems, though all could see
    the wreckage of our friend’s aircraft which left no doubt as to the outcome.

The last moments of the crash were recorded by an airport security camera. We were allowed to view the footage (but not record it). It showed Shmulik in a moderately steep turn, apparently carrying a lot of speed. In the background you can see dust
    and gravel being blown by the gust. Then at 90 deg to the runway and 150 to 200 ft you can see the inside wing start to drop and the nose go down. There was no opportunity to recover and it hit the ground hard, thankfully just out of camera view.

The Rifle ASOS recorded a gust of 43 mph from the south: a 100-degree shift in direction, putting it right on his tail.

My analysis and proposed scenario are as follows:

The virga produced a microburst directly over Shmulik as he was waiting for the jet. He expedited his landing trying to fly out of what was likely epic sink. While his base leg was low it looked high enough to make the runway with plenty of energy to
    flare and roll out. But he then got hit from behind or descended into winds in excess of 40 kts and perhaps as much as 50, stalling the aircraft and removing any opportunity for control.

One of the most difficult aspects of this accident is that, given the information available to the pilot, it is hard to picture what anyone would have done differently. This truly seems like the hand of God. There is discussion in another thread about
    the yellow triangle. Here is a case that would require 60 over stall speed to maintain even a narrow margin. How many people do you know that would plan to come over the numbers at 100+ on a day that is blowing steady 9 straight down the runway?

As has been noted, Shmulik was a very experienced and skilled pilot. He had more flights and time in gliders from Rifle than anyone. We all want to learn from accidents, especially what were the pilot errors we might avoid. This is a hard one to gain
    insight from other than this: Some atmospheric events are bigger than our plastic airplanes.

RR

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob W.@21:1/5 to John Good on Tue Jun 14 09:36:23 2022
    On 6/13/22 22:31, John Good wrote:
    This is a first-hand account of the crash, by Rick Roelke (who also
    flew from Rifle CO on June 9):

<Highly informative write-up snipped, for this-post's-brevity>

A big, "Thank you!" to Rick Roelke and John Good for generating this information, and for conveying it via RAS (and, so I infer, to other
    interested folks).

This tragic and sad situation was - so it seems to me - almost certainly
    one of those rare instances where "fate targets a person." (By "rare" I
    mean at an individual level, of course...)

Having been in "fate's sights" at least twice that I know of while at
    the controls of a sailplane, such an event makes a person think harder,
    it does, it does. I certainly did, and (for what it's worth), concluded
    after both incidents that the personal rewards flowing my direction from indulging in the sport of soaring outweighed the imponderable risks of atmospheric physics. If anything, those imponderables influenced me to
    strive even more diligently to control the things *directly* in my
    control such that if I did happen to die while piloting a sailplane, I
    wouldn't be embarrassed in hindsight by the circumstances surrounding my
    crash. (Funny, the motivations a person can rationalize!)

May Mr. Dimentstein rest in peace and may his family and friends be able
    to take some comfort from the circumstances of his death.

Bob W.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 5Z@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 14 11:55:05 2022
    When I was flying with the Black Forest Soaring Society at Kelly airpark, I'd read the NWS forecast discussions and they would often mention "virga bombs" associated with high based thunderstorms. The virga starts falling, the water evaporates which
    cools the air and accelerates. By the time it reaches the ground it could be going 50-100 knots!

In the early 2000's, sometime after a storm had passed Kelly, there was still some mid level crud overhead but it was mostly clear and sunny. I flew crosswind to the west directly overhead at well over 1000' AGL when the bottom fell out below me. As I
    pushed the nose of my ASH-26E down into what felt like at least a 45 degree dive the airspeed was still barely 50 knots. I was aiming for a field just outside the fence to the west for a crash landing if the sink didn't abate. As I got down to 100' or
    so, the airspeed suddenly jumped to over 100 knots and the glider started flying again. I turned right and pulled up to gain a little altitude for an abbreviated downwind to land. As I was on a 3-400' high base leg and turning final, I hit the outflow
    of that downburst and found myself back at nearly 1000' and a 90 degree crosswind on the runway. So I allowed myself to drift east and landed in the grass at 45-60 degrees to the runway. By the time I opened the canopy, the wind on the ground was calm.

5Z

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to John Good on Tue Jun 14 12:01:00 2022
    On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 12:31:08 AM UTC-4, John Good wrote:
    This is a first-hand account of the crash, by Rick Roelke (who also flew from Rifle CO on June 9):

I originally wrote this to be read by glider pilots. But it became apparent it would also be of interest to non-pilot friends and relatives wishing to better understand how this accident could happen to such a talented and experienced pilot. To aid
    that understanding I will preface the report with a glossary of pertinent terms. To my pilot readers: feel free to skip this section. I also ask forgiveness for abbreviated explanations: this is not intended as a textbook, but merely to provide context
    for laypersons.

Virga

Virga is snow/rain falling from a cloud, that evaporates before it hits the ground. It is a common phenomenon in the western US. We do not see it as often in the east as it takes dry air and a high cloud base to cause the evaporation. It can cause
    clouds to take on the appearance of a jellyfish, with rounded tops and dangling tentacles.

Stall Speed

Aircraft fly by having air pass over the wings. If the speed of the aircraft falls below a certain minimum the wings can no longer provide the lift required to support the aircraft. That event is called a stall. This moment of stall can be (often is)
    abrupt. With adequate altitude the aircraft pitches down, regains flying speed and returns to controlled flight. All pilots are trained and practice stall recovery regularly. Stall speed is the minimum speed the aircraft can be flown controllably.

Sink

Gliders fly long distances by locating rising air and climbing in that air. What goes up must come down: descending air is called sink.

Microburst

Microbursts are narrow columns of rapidly descending air. They are associated with thunderstorms but can be caused by other sources. The one featured in this report was likely caused by the virga. The snow/rain falling from the clouds above start cool
    and then further cool by evaporation. This cold air is more dense than the surrounding air and starts to sink. Given favorable conditions this air can accelerate. When this rapidly descending air meets the ground it spreads out to become a sudden
    horizontal wind: a gust. The best kitchen analogy is water flowing from your tap and hitting a plate in the sink. The falling water splashes out sideways.

ASOS

Automated Surface Observing System. This is an automated weather reporting system that continually broadcasts the local (on airport) conditions.

---- End glossary ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four gliders flew out of Rifle on June 9th 2022. We all launched around 11:00 and moved to the north side of the valley. It was tough to find that first good climb, but Shmulik found one, leaving the rest of us floundering low. Eventually we did get
    away. Long story short we all ended up going in different directions, all having great flights. They were not without challenges but nothing spooky, just enough work to be rewarding. In a flight of about 600 km, Shmulik made his goal of Duchesne UT, and
    was happy about that. We made plans to be on the ground at 6:00 and all converged on the Rifle area in time for that.

There was virga in the area, and it got my attention as Shmulik had warned me on a previous trip to be careful with local virga. I was listening intently to the ASOS for wind or gusts, letting it repeat 5 or 6 times with the exact same report: 9 kts
    straight down the runway; no gusts. Later, as we got ready to land, the same benign report. OK I thought - the virga is clearly a non-issue. As we will learn, it was the whole issue.

There was virga over the airport (elevation 5537 ft) and to the north of the valley, and northeast as well. None of the wisps extended below 11,000 ft (cloud base was approximately 19,000). Cloud cover was scattered. The clouds producing virga were not
    towering - they were perhaps a bit bigger than non-producing clouds, but not much. It was a point of interest to me as we don't see a lot of it in the eastern US - I was wondering what drove the difference.

Shmulik and I discussed the landing order: as he was a bit lower we agreed he would go first. After we decided this, we heard a Challenger jet announce “Taxiing to 26 for takeoff”. That was the runway we would use to land.

Rifle has a moderate amount of bizjet traffic; not constant but present. We always try to accommodate and be polite citizens. Shmulik called the Challenger and offered to delay but got no reply. I was still high so it was no problem for me. He tried
    again, with no reply. It’s worth noting that Shmulik had a close call in the past: a jet pulled onto the runway in front of him with no radio call. This near miss was avoided only by the jet taking off immediately in front of him. I am sure he did not
    want to repeat that. I speculate that the Challenger was on a different frequency temporarily, perhaps the ASOS.

As he descended, he called that he was in heavy sink and was going to make left traffic for Runway 26 (for which the normal traffic pattern is right). Shortly after this a call came from the Challenger that there was a glider crash.

I was not sure I’d heard it correctly so I asked for clarification. “There has been a glider crash and we see no movement.” They truly had a front-row seat, as moments before they were hit by a gust so strong that they had rotated their jet to

I then asked if the runway was clear, was told yes, then landed uneventfully into the 9 mph headwinds. I am not sure of the time between our landings - I would guess it was 5 min. The other glider pilots landed without problems, though all could see

The last moments of the crash were recorded by an airport security camera. We were allowed to view the footage (but not record it). It showed Shmulik in a moderately steep turn, apparently carrying a lot of speed. In the background you can see dust and
    gravel being blown by the gust. Then at 90 deg to the runway and 150 to 200 ft you can see the inside wing start to drop and the nose go down. There was no opportunity to recover and it hit the ground hard, thankfully just out of camera view.

The Rifle ASOS recorded a gust of 43 mph from the south: a 100-degree shift in direction, putting it right on his tail.

The virga produced a microburst directly over Shmulik as he was waiting for the jet. He expedited his landing trying to fly out of what was likely epic sink. While his base leg was low it looked high enough to make the runway with plenty of energy to
    flare and roll out. But he then got hit from behind or descended into winds in excess of 40 kts and perhaps as much as 50, stalling the aircraft and removing any opportunity for control.

One of the most difficult aspects of this accident is that, given the information available to the pilot, it is hard to picture what anyone would have done differently. This truly seems like the hand of God. There is discussion in another thread about
    the yellow triangle. Here is a case that would require 60 over stall speed to maintain even a narrow margin. How many people do you know that would plan to come over the numbers at 100+ on a day that is blowing steady 9 straight down the runway?

As has been noted, Shmulik was a very experienced and skilled pilot. He had more flights and time in gliders from Rifle than anyone. We all want to learn from accidents, especially what were the pilot errors we might avoid. This is a hard one to gain
    insight from other than this: Some atmospheric events are bigger than our plastic airplanes.

RR
    Thank you very much for making this information available and these accidents are difficult to understand. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Barbara & Anthony Way@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 14 18:53:30 2022
    On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 2:01:02 PM UTC-5, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:

I originally wrote this to be read by glider pilots. But it became apparent it would also be of interest to non-pilot friends and relatives wishing to better understand how this accident could happen to such a talented and experienced pilot. To aid
    that understanding I will preface the report with a glossary of pertinent terms. To my pilot readers: feel free to skip this section. I also ask forgiveness for abbreviated explanations: this is not intended as a textbook, but merely to provide context
    for laypersons.

Virga

Stall Speed

Sink

Microburst

Microbursts are narrow columns of rapidly descending air. They are associated with thunderstorms but can be caused by other sources. The one featured in this report was likely caused by the virga. The snow/rain falling from the clouds above start
    cool and then further cool by evaporation. This cold air is more dense than the surrounding air and starts to sink. Given favorable conditions this air can accelerate. When this rapidly descending air meets the ground it spreads out to become a sudden

ASOS

There was virga over the airport (elevation 5537 ft) and to the north of the valley, and northeast as well. None of the wisps extended below 11,000 ft (cloud base was approximately 19,000). Cloud cover was scattered. The clouds producing virga were
    not towering - they were perhaps a bit bigger than non-producing clouds, but not much. It was a point of interest to me as we don't see a lot of it in the eastern US - I was wondering what drove the difference.

again, with no reply. It’s worth noting that Shmulik had a close call in the past: a jet pulled onto the runway in front of him with no radio call. This near miss was avoided only by the jet taking off immediately in front of him. I am sure he did not
    want to repeat that. I speculate that the Challenger was on a different frequency temporarily, perhaps the ASOS.

The last moments of the crash were recorded by an airport security camera. We were allowed to view the footage (but not record it). It showed Shmulik in a moderately steep turn, apparently carrying a lot of speed. In the background you can see dust
    and gravel being blown by the gust. Then at 90 deg to the runway and 150 to 200 ft you can see the inside wing start to drop and the nose go down. There was no opportunity to recover and it hit the ground hard, thankfully just out of camera view.

One of the most difficult aspects of this accident is that, given the information available to the pilot, it is hard to picture what anyone would have done differently. This truly seems like the hand of God. There is discussion in another thread
    about the yellow triangle. Here is a case that would require 60 over stall speed to maintain even a narrow margin. How many people do you know that would plan to come over the numbers at 100+ on a day that is blowing steady 9 straight down the runway?

RR
    Thank you very much for making this information available and these accidents are difficult to understand. OBTP

I note that he was on base leg at 150-200' which is well below standard spin recovery altitude.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From paulstiles41@msn.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 14 19:36:59 2022
    On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 8:53:31 PM UTC-5, Barbara & Anthony Way wrote:

for laypersons.

Virga

Stall Speed

Aircraft fly by having air pass over the wings. If the speed of the aircraft falls below a certain minimum the wings can no longer provide the lift required to support the aircraft. That event is called a stall. This moment of stall can be (often
    is) abrupt. With adequate altitude the aircraft pitches down, regains flying speed and returns to controlled flight. All pilots are trained and practice stall recovery regularly. Stall speed is the minimum speed the aircraft can be flown controllably.

Sink

Microburst

Microbursts are narrow columns of rapidly descending air. They are associated with thunderstorms but can be caused by other sources. The one featured in this report was likely caused by the virga. The snow/rain falling from the clouds above start
    cool and then further cool by evaporation. This cold air is more dense than the surrounding air and starts to sink. Given favorable conditions this air can accelerate. When this rapidly descending air meets the ground it spreads out to become a sudden

ASOS

Four gliders flew out of Rifle on June 9th 2022. We all launched around 11:00 and moved to the north side of the valley. It was tough to find that first good climb, but Shmulik found one, leaving the rest of us floundering low. Eventually we did
    get away. Long story short we all ended up going in different directions, all having great flights. They were not without challenges but nothing spooky, just enough work to be rewarding. In a flight of about 600 km, Shmulik made his goal of Duchesne UT,
    and was happy about that. We made plans to be on the ground at 6:00 and all converged on the Rifle area in time for that.

There was virga in the area, and it got my attention as Shmulik had warned me on a previous trip to be careful with local virga. I was listening intently to the ASOS for wind or gusts, letting it repeat 5 or 6 times with the exact same report: 9
    kts straight down the runway; no gusts. Later, as we got ready to land, the same benign report. OK I thought - the virga is clearly a non-issue. As we will learn, it was the whole issue.

There was virga over the airport (elevation 5537 ft) and to the north of the valley, and northeast as well. None of the wisps extended below 11,000 ft (cloud base was approximately 19,000). Cloud cover was scattered. The clouds producing virga were
    not towering - they were perhaps a bit bigger than non-producing clouds, but not much. It was a point of interest to me as we don't see a lot of it in the eastern US - I was wondering what drove the difference.

Rifle has a moderate amount of bizjet traffic; not constant but present. We always try to accommodate and be polite citizens. Shmulik called the Challenger and offered to delay but got no reply. I was still high so it was no problem for me. He
    tried again, with no reply. It’s worth noting that Shmulik had a close call in the past: a jet pulled onto the runway in front of him with no radio call. This near miss was avoided only by the jet taking off immediately in front of him. I am sure he
    did not want to repeat that. I speculate that the Challenger was on a different frequency temporarily, perhaps the ASOS.

I was not sure I’d heard it correctly so I asked for clarification. “There has been a glider crash and we see no movement.” They truly had a front-row seat, as moments before they were hit by a gust so strong that they had rotated their jet
    to avoid a compressor stall.

I then asked if the runway was clear, was told yes, then landed uneventfully into the 9 mph headwinds. I am not sure of the time between our landings - I would guess it was 5 min. The other glider pilots landed without problems, though all could
    see the wreckage of our friend’s aircraft which left no doubt as to the outcome.

The virga produced a microburst directly over Shmulik as he was waiting for the jet. He expedited his landing trying to fly out of what was likely epic sink. While his base leg was low it looked high enough to make the runway with plenty of energy
    to flare and roll out. But he then got hit from behind or descended into winds in excess of 40 kts and perhaps as much as 50, stalling the aircraft and removing any opportunity for control.

One of the most difficult aspects of this accident is that, given the information available to the pilot, it is hard to picture what anyone would have done differently. This truly seems like the hand of God. There is discussion in another thread
    about the yellow triangle. Here is a case that would require 60 over stall speed to maintain even a narrow margin. How many people do you know that would plan to come over the numbers at 100+ on a day that is blowing steady 9 straight down the runway?

As has been noted, Shmulik was a very experienced and skilled pilot. He had more flights and time in gliders from Rifle than anyone. We all want to learn from accidents, especially what were the pilot errors we might avoid. This is a hard one to
    gain insight from other than this: Some atmospheric events are bigger than our plastic airplanes.

RR
    I note that he was on base leg at 150-200' which is well below standard spin recovery altitude.

Thanks for sharing the accident info. I have learned that having no explaination can create wild speculation. Condolences to Shmulik's friends and family.

Paul
    9P & IMO

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From paulstiles41@msn.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 14 19:29:58 2022
    On Tuesday, June 14, 2022 at 8:53:31 PM UTC-5, Barbara & Anthony Way wrote:

for laypersons.

Virga

Stall Speed

Aircraft fly by having air pass over the wings. If the speed of the aircraft falls below a certain minimum the wings can no longer provide the lift required to support the aircraft. That event is called a stall. This moment of stall can be (often
    is) abrupt. With adequate altitude the aircraft pitches down, regains flying speed and returns to controlled flight. All pilots are trained and practice stall recovery regularly. Stall speed is the minimum speed the aircraft can be flown controllably.

Sink

Microburst

ASOS

Four gliders flew out of Rifle on June 9th 2022. We all launched around 11:00 and moved to the north side of the valley. It was tough to find that first good climb, but Shmulik found one, leaving the rest of us floundering low. Eventually we did
    get away. Long story short we all ended up going in different directions, all having great flights. They were not without challenges but nothing spooky, just enough work to be rewarding. In a flight of about 600 km, Shmulik made his goal of Duchesne UT,
    and was happy about that. We made plans to be on the ground at 6:00 and all converged on the Rifle area in time for that.

There was virga in the area, and it got my attention as Shmulik had warned me on a previous trip to be careful with local virga. I was listening intently to the ASOS for wind or gusts, letting it repeat 5 or 6 times with the exact same report: 9
    kts straight down the runway; no gusts. Later, as we got ready to land, the same benign report. OK I thought - the virga is clearly a non-issue. As we will learn, it was the whole issue.

Rifle has a moderate amount of bizjet traffic; not constant but present. We always try to accommodate and be polite citizens. Shmulik called the Challenger and offered to delay but got no reply. I was still high so it was no problem for me. He
    tried again, with no reply. It’s worth noting that Shmulik had a close call in the past: a jet pulled onto the runway in front of him with no radio call. This near miss was avoided only by the jet taking off immediately in front of him. I am sure he
    did not want to repeat that. I speculate that the Challenger was on a different frequency temporarily, perhaps the ASOS.

I was not sure I’d heard it correctly so I asked for clarification. “There has been a glider crash and we see no movement.” They truly had a front-row seat, as moments before they were hit by a gust so strong that they had rotated their jet
    to avoid a compressor stall.

I then asked if the runway was clear, was told yes, then landed uneventfully into the 9 mph headwinds. I am not sure of the time between our landings - I would guess it was 5 min. The other glider pilots landed without problems, though all could
    see the wreckage of our friend’s aircraft which left no doubt as to the outcome.

The virga produced a microburst directly over Shmulik as he was waiting for the jet. He expedited his landing trying to fly out of what was likely epic sink. While his base leg was low it looked high enough to make the runway with plenty of energy
    to flare and roll out. But he then got hit from behind or descended into winds in excess of 40 kts and perhaps as much as 50, stalling the aircraft and removing any opportunity for control.

As has been noted, Shmulik was a very experienced and skilled pilot. He had more flights and time in gliders from Rifle than anyone. We all want to learn from accidents, especially what were the pilot errors we might avoid. This is a hard one to
    gain insight from other than this: Some atmospheric events are bigger than our plastic airplanes.

RR

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Nadler@21:1/5 to John Good on Wed Jun 15 11:33:23 2022
    On 6/10/2022 10:09 AM, John Good wrote:

Even a quick look at OLC results over the past several years will show Shmulik’s skill at – and love for – long flights among the mountains of western Colorado (and neighboring states). Less apparent will be his extraordinary hospitality to
    those who came to fly gliders at Rifle. He was a valued friend not only to glider pilots but also to the Rifle airport staff and the local FBO.

Terrible news. Shmulik was a great guy and always friendly to all. We
    met and flew together back at Chester, IIRC way back before the
    good-ole-buys let Charlie CD, and other sites since. Shmulik just
    recently called and encouraged me to come visit Rifle, sadly I didn't
    manage to do so.
    RIP Shmulik, we'll miss you.

PS: What we do is dangerous. Shmulik was my 26th friend to die gliding.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 15 09:38:25 2022
    Dave, you would be better served to shitcan that 'PS'.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Darren Braun@21:1/5 to John Good on Wed Jun 15 11:05:08 2022
    On Monday, June 13, 2022 at 9:31:08 PM UTC-7, John Good wrote:

Thank you for posting and my condolences to the friends and family of Schmulik. While I didn't know him, I saw his many great flights on OLC.

Many of us have seen microbursts from a distance or even been in them such as 5Zs account and they've always been a concern to all aviators.
    I found this illustration particularly insightful. Even though it shows a Cessna, imagine a glider at position 2 in the landing pattern/slowed for the pattern.
    With a strong enough outflow of 40 kts or more there is technically no way out in any direction. I'm not saying this is what happened precisely in this case but something to consider as the strong summer conditions are upon us in the northern
    hemisphere.

https://www.gleimaviation.com/2020/07/10/microburst-hazards/

Darren

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George Haeh@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 15 12:30:04 2022
    I had just completed my turn to final and was putting down landing flap when it suddenly went very quiet. Nose and wing dropped before I went to negative flap and forward on the stick. Came out the bottom with 65 kt TAS and 15' and had to climb to clear
    obstacles.

This chart shows wind in the x and z axes along with altitude and distance in one second intervals:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1NeKc6B2S3XQzlZWjBZY2JvNEE/view?usp=drivesdk&resourcekey=0-i1znGTz912WvAoscv73RhQ

Some similarities to the Gleim diagram referenced by Darren, but no big clouds.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to George Haeh on Wed Jun 15 15:03:37 2022
    Sometimes it's appropriate to act in a non-standard way.

I was running from a thunderstorm in Colorado decades ago and, after
    overflying the airport, turned downwind and base when the outflow hit.
    On base I was at maximum speed for flaps and landing gear and, rather
    than turn final and accept that humongous cross wind, I simply landed
    straight ahead, across the runway, infield, taxiway, and apron. I then
    flew the glider on the ground until the storm passed.

I'm not saying that Schmuel had any chance of saving himself, just a
    reminder that there is more than one way to get safely on the ground.

Dan
    5J

On 6/15/22 13:30, George Haeh wrote:
    I had just completed my turn to final and was putting down landing flap when it suddenly went very quiet. Nose and wing dropped before I went to negative flap and forward on the stick. Came out the bottom with 65 kt TAS and 15' and had to climb to
    clear obstacles.

This chart shows wind in the x and z axes along with altitude and distance in one second intervals:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1NeKc6B2S3XQzlZWjBZY2JvNEE/view?usp=drivesdk&resourcekey=0-i1znGTz912WvAoscv73RhQ

Some similarities to the Gleim diagram referenced by Darren, but no big clouds.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RR@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Wed Jun 15 19:06:47 2022
    On Wednesday, June 15, 2022 at 5:03:43 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Sometimes it's appropriate to act in a non standard way.

To that end, Shmulik had briefed us on landing on a field adjacent to 26 if the winds were cross and strong. Walked the field with me, and explained the approach. In this case the outflow was the wrong way to use it, but more importantly I dont think
    there were signs of the outflow until he descended into it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From andy l@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Thu Jun 16 01:55:47 2022
    I've stood on the ground at Rieti and watched thunderstorms over mountains to the west. Then the downdraft from these crossed the site and not long later fired off new storms over the nearer mountains to the east. Then those too produced downdrafts,
    creating about 30 or 40 knots crosswind on the airfield, coinciding with arrival of the earliest finishers.

When people are coming in at maybe 120 knots or more, maybe they don't notice quite how strong the wind is, and only a couple elected to turn gently right, let the wind drift them out a bit, then left and land across the usual runway direction. For a
    while I was worried one of the world's most experienced coaches was going to either spin from his 210 degree final turn, or undershoot and land on a hangar. Not much airbrake.

On Wednesday, 15 June 2022 at 22:03:43 UTC+1, Dan Marotta wrote:

I was running from a thunderstorm in Colorado decades ago and, after overflying the airport, turned downwind and base when the outflow hit.
    than turn final and accept that humongous cross wind, I simply landed straight ahead, across the runway, infield, taxiway, and apron. I then
    flew the glider on the ground until the storm passed.

I'm not saying that Schmuel had any chance of saving himself, just a reminder that there is more than one way to get safely on the ground.

Dan
    5J

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to andy l on Thu Jun 16 10:23:18 2022
    On Thursday, June 16, 2022 at 2:55:51 AM UTC-6, andy l wrote:
    I've stood on the ground at Rieti and watched thunderstorms over mountains to the west. Then the downdraft from these crossed the site and not long later fired off new storms over the nearer mountains to the east. Then those too produced downdrafts,
    creating about 30 or 40 knots crosswind on the airfield, coinciding with arrival of the earliest finishers.

When people are coming in at maybe 120 knots or more, maybe they don't notice quite how strong the wind is, and only a couple elected to turn gently right, let the wind drift them out a bit, then left and land across the usual runway direction. For a
    while I was worried one of the world's most experienced coaches was going to either spin from his 210 degree final turn, or undershoot and land on a hangar. Not much airbrake.

I was running from a thunderstorm in Colorado decades ago and, after overflying the airport, turned downwind and base when the outflow hit.
    than turn final and accept that humongous cross wind, I simply landed straight ahead, across the runway, infield, taxiway, and apron. I then flew the glider on the ground until the storm passed.

I'm not saying that Schmuel had any chance of saving himself, just a reminder that there is more than one way to get safely on the ground.

Dan
    5J

Microbursts are extreme cases of wind shear, which have taken down heavy airliners (L1011 at DFW, for example, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines_Flight_191). This AC was issued by the FAA as a response, in part, to this accident:
    https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC00-54.pdf
    While it is now 34 years old, all the info in it is still very relevant. Microbursts can occur anywhere but are much more prevalent in Colorado and Florida. The time duration of microbursts is short, 10 to 20 minutes, so just because the guy in front of
    you had normal winds doesn't mean that you will. We fly in conditions during which convection is present, and land most often when dissipation is occurring, the most likely time for microbursts.

You have three primary tools at your disposal to deal with microbursts:
    1. Avoidance
    2. Airspeed
    3. Reaction
    Since the lifetime of microbursts is relatively short, if you have ANY suspicion that it is happening, or about to happen, wait it out. Microbursts likely will kick up dust on the ground, so any indication of blowing dust is a tell. Once you commit to
    land and the conditions for microburst MAY be present, carry extra airspeed in the pattern, A LOT of extra airspeed (fly the pattern at 90 kt - that speed can be bled off quickly on short final). It would take a tail gust of 50 kt to stall you at this
    airspeed.

If such a tail gust DOES hit you, it is vital that you push the nose down and dive at the ground. This will feel VERY uncomfortable but is the one thing maneuver you have at your disposal. Failure to do this WILL result in a stall/spin low to the ground,
    which is non-recoverable, so avoiding this outcome is the top priority (this happened to Shmulik). Note that you will already be dropping fast when this happens and the ground will be rushing up at you, so your instinct, which must be fought, will be to
    pull up on the stick. An important thing to remember is that close to the ground the vertical air motion will flatten out and your vertical down rate will cease, although you will still have a tailwind. You will also have ground effect in your favor (if
    you are within a wingspan of the ground). The area of a microburst is small, and you have a good chance of flying out of it.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 16 11:35:02 2022
    Good advice, Tom, but the max gear speed in the Stemme is 76 KIAS.
    Above that you risk tearing off the gear doors (ask me how I know).

Diving at the ground is tough, but necessary. I was once rolled over by
    a rotor while attempting to enter wave and the trees looked really big
    on the side of the mountain.

Schmuel gave me the same tour and advice last year when I went to Rifle.
    All good information.

Dan
    5J

On 6/16/22 11:23, 2G wrote:
    carry extra airspeed in the pattern, A LOT of extra airspeed (fly the pattern at 90 kt - that speed can be bled off quickly on short final).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Bob W. on Thu Jun 16 12:08:28 2022
    On Thursday, June 16, 2022 at 12:56:02 PM UTC-6, Bob W. wrote:
    Additional relevantly-excellent info snipped...
    If such a tail gust DOES hit you, it is vital that you push the nose
    down and dive at the ground. This will feel VERY uncomfortable but
    is the one thing maneuver you have at your disposal. Failure to do
    this WILL result in a stall/spin low to the ground, which is non-recoverable, so avoiding this outcome is the top priority (this happened to Shmulik). Note that you will already be dropping fast
    when this happens and the ground will be rushing up at you, so your instinct, which must be fought, will be to pull up on the stick. An important thing to remember is that close to the ground the vertical
    air motion will flatten out and your vertical down rate will cease, although you will still have a tailwind. You will also have ground
    effect in your favor (if you are within a wingspan of the ground).
    The area of a microburst is small, and you have a good chance of
    flying out of it.
    Just a 'somewhat anal' modification to the excerpted bit below, most-explicitly the sentence-ending phrase following the "...and...":
    An important thing to remember is that close to the ground the
    vertical air motion will flatten out and your vertical down rate will cease,
    Murphy's a powerful guy, and inertia is real. Ask the smashed bugs on
    your vehicle's windshield how well object-induced flow-diversion worked
    for them.

My point in picking this nit isn't to nitpick, but to attempt to do all
    I can to encourage fellow glider pilots to analyze the meteorology &
    physics of downbursts (aka 'microbursts') ruthlessly-cold-bloodedly,
    before willy-nilly accepting some over-simplified and demonstrably false personal rationale justifying the risks they're taking by indulging in soaring.

FWIW, I happily, willingly - and, eventually, ruthlessly-coldbloodedly - enjoyed XC soaring (mostly in the intermountain western U.S.) for 37
    years, which included encountering 3 downbursts in landing patterns -
    and 'getting away with it.' After the first one (on a not-real-high-cloudbase, local-survival-only, sort of fall soaring day),
    I became a "virga coward!" who actively strove to land only after days
    went quiescent...and yet, I "got targeted" two more times. I was luckier than Shmuel in that each encounter with the downbursts occurred when I
    had >2,700' agl ground clearances...with zero subsequent options for
    waiting for the situation to improve.

It appears to me Shmuel Dimentstein was less fortunate than I was. (See
    also Tom Serkowski's "It happened to me!" downburst-encounter tale
    earlier in this thread...from which I concluded Tom came about as
    knowingly close to downburst-associated-disaster as any
    adrenaline-junkie pilot might wish for...and he ain't that sort of pilot!)

While - in *some* instances - change in the air's direction from
    vertically downward to horizontal may save your downburst-encapsulated-bacon, to therapeutically count on it doing so in *all* cases is to be accepting a demonstrably false rationale as gospel. Fervently wishing something will-be true won't make it so. And if that ruthless-cold-bloodedness helps any Joe Glider Pilot to be less
    complacent about his virga/T-storm/downburst-avoiding philosophies, it
    will - IMO - improve JGP's future chances of avoiding/surviving any such encounters.

I did not know Shmuel Dimentstein, but from everything I've read about
    him and his accident, I place it into the rare "fate bucket" (as
    contrasted to the far larger/more-filled "stupid-pilot-tricks bucket").
    A "There but for the grace of God..." sort of accident. May he RIP and
    may his family and friends gain what comfort they can from its circumstances, which appear-to-me to leave his reputation as a pilot
    free from after-the-fact "coulda-woulda" second-guessing.

Respectfully,

Bob W.

Thanks for your comments. I, also, understand momentum and you will need some altitude to do the flare maneuver. I listed the options in order of preference; avoiding microburst is the most important. But, if the shit hits the fan and you are all out of
    options, pushing the nose down and regaining airspeed is the very last option at your disposal (you are too low to bail out at this point). Sometimes all you can do is a controlled crash, but that is preferable to doing an unsurvivable one.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Thu Jun 16 12:02:27 2022
    On Thursday, June 16, 2022 at 11:35:07 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:

All good information.

Dan
    5J
    carry extra airspeed in the pattern, A LOT of extra airspeed (fly the pattern at 90 kt - that speed can be bled off quickly on short final).

Of course, you have to follow the max speeds for the particular glider. Still, 76 kts is better than 56. In your case, you could delay gear extension until on final. Yes, you would have to do a last, albeit abbreviated, landing checklist while on final.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob W.@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 16 12:55:55 2022
    Additional relevantly-excellent info snipped...

down and dive at the ground. This will feel VERY uncomfortable but
    is the one thing maneuver you have at your disposal. Failure to do
    this WILL result in a stall/spin low to the ground, which is
    non-recoverable, so avoiding this outcome is the top priority (this
    happened to Shmulik). Note that you will already be dropping fast
    when this happens and the ground will be rushing up at you, so your
    instinct, which must be fought, will be to pull up on the stick. An
    important thing to remember is that close to the ground the vertical
    air motion will flatten out and your vertical down rate will cease,
    although you will still have a tailwind. You will also have ground
    effect in your favor (if you are within a wingspan of the ground).
    The area of a microburst is small, and you have a good chance of
    flying out of it.

Just a 'somewhat anal' modification to the excerpted bit below,
    most-explicitly the sentence-ending phrase following the "...and...":

An important thing to remember is that close to the ground the
    vertical air motion will flatten out and your vertical down rate will
    cease,

Murphy's a powerful guy, and inertia is real. Ask the smashed bugs on
    your vehicle's windshield how well object-induced flow-diversion worked
    for them.

My point in picking this nit isn't to nitpick, but to attempt to do all
    I can to encourage fellow glider pilots to analyze the meteorology &
    physics of downbursts (aka 'microbursts') ruthlessly-cold-bloodedly,
    before willy-nilly accepting some over-simplified and demonstrably false personal rationale justifying the risks they're taking by indulging in
    soaring.

FWIW, I happily, willingly - and, eventually, ruthlessly-coldbloodedly - enjoyed XC soaring (mostly in the intermountain western U.S.) for 37
    years, which included encountering 3 downbursts in landing patterns -
    and 'getting away with it.' After the first one (on a
    not-real-high-cloudbase, local-survival-only, sort of fall soaring day),
    I became a "virga coward!" who actively strove to land only after days
    went quiescent...and yet, I "got targeted" two more times. I was luckier
    than Shmuel in that each encounter with the downbursts occurred when I
    had >2,700' agl ground clearances...with zero subsequent options for
    waiting for the situation to improve.

It appears to me Shmuel Dimentstein was less fortunate than I was. (See
    also Tom Serkowski's "It happened to me!" downburst-encounter tale
    earlier in this thread...from which I concluded Tom came about as
    knowingly close to downburst-associated-disaster as any
    adrenaline-junkie pilot might wish for...and he ain't that sort of pilot!)

While - in *some* instances - change in the air's direction from
    vertically downward to horizontal may save your
    downburst-encapsulated-bacon, to therapeutically count on it doing so in
    *all* cases is to be accepting a demonstrably false rationale as gospel. Fervently wishing something will-be true won't make it so. And if that ruthless-cold-bloodedness helps any Joe Glider Pilot to be less
    complacent about his virga/T-storm/downburst-avoiding philosophies, it
    will - IMO - improve JGP's future chances of avoiding/surviving any such encounters.

I did not know Shmuel Dimentstein, but from everything I've read about
    him and his accident, I place it into the rare "fate bucket" (as
    contrasted to the far larger/more-filled "stupid-pilot-tricks bucket").
    A "There but for the grace of God..." sort of accident. May he RIP and
    may his family and friends gain what comfort they can from its
    circumstances, which appear-to-me to leave his reputation as a pilot
    free from after-the-fact "coulda-woulda" second-guessing.

Respectfully,

Bob W.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 16 14:25:17 2022
    If I had manual gear extension, I would delay and carry more speed.
    Alas, mine is electrical and takes 10-15 seconds or more to extend.
    I'll have to time that...

I do try to keep my speed up above 70 kias in the pattern and the glider
    won't fall out of the sky until the low 40s.

Dan
    5J

On 6/16/22 13:02, 2G wrote:
    On Thursday, June 16, 2022 at 11:35:07 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:

All good information.

Dan
    5J

Of course, you have to follow the max speeds for the particular glider. Still, 76 kts is better than 56. In your case, you could delay gear extension until on final. Yes, you would have to do a last, albeit abbreviated, landing checklist while on final.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Bamberg@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 16 13:43:13 2022
    Ripping the gear doors off may be the lesser of all evils.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Frank Whiteley@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 16 19:59:49 2022
    On Thursday, June 16, 2022 at 11:23:22 AM UTC-6, 2G wrote:

I was running from a thunderstorm in Colorado decades ago and, after overflying the airport, turned downwind and base when the outflow hit. On base I was at maximum speed for flaps and landing gear and, rather than turn final and accept that humongous cross wind, I simply landed straight ahead, across the runway, infield, taxiway, and apron. I then flew the glider on the ground until the storm passed.

Dan
    5J
    Microbursts are extreme cases of wind shear, which have taken down heavy airliners (L1011 at DFW, for example, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines_Flight_191). This AC was issued by the FAA as a response, in part, to this accident:
    https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC00-54.pdf While it is now 34 years old, all the info in it is still very relevant. Microbursts can occur anywhere but are much more prevalent in Colorado and Florida. The time duration of microbursts is short, 10 to 20 minutes, so just because the guy in front
    of you had normal winds doesn't mean that you will. We fly in conditions during which convection is present, and land most often when dissipation is occurring, the most likely time for microbursts.

1. Avoidance
    2. Airspeed
    3. Reaction
    Since the lifetime of microbursts is relatively short, if you have ANY suspicion that it is happening, or about to happen, wait it out. Microbursts likely will kick up dust on the ground, so any indication of blowing dust is a tell. Once you commit to
    land and the conditions for microburst MAY be present, carry extra airspeed in the pattern, A LOT of extra airspeed (fly the pattern at 90 kt - that speed can be bled off quickly on short final). It would take a tail gust of 50 kt to stall you at this
    airspeed.

If such a tail gust DOES hit you, it is vital that you push the nose down and dive at the ground. This will feel VERY uncomfortable but is the one thing maneuver you have at your disposal. Failure to do this WILL result in a stall/spin low to the
    ground, which is non-recoverable, so avoiding this outcome is the top priority (this happened to Shmulik). Note that you will already be dropping fast when this happens and the ground will be rushing up at you, so your instinct, which must be fought,
    will be to pull up on the stick. An important thing to remember is that close to the ground the vertical air motion will flatten out and your vertical down rate will cease, although you will still have a tailwind. You will also have ground effect in your
    favor (if you are within a wingspan of the ground). The area of a microburst is small, and you have a good chance of flying out of it.

Tom
    Microbursts are not rare here in Colorado. East of the mountains we had many, generally in June or July, during family picnics at my father-in-law's place. Light winds would increase to 50-60 mph for about 20-30 minutes then return to calm. I've found
    large areas of 1000fpm down on a few occasions north and northeast of our operation in the afternoons, sometimes with dusty outflow visible. An LS-3 was damaged and the pilot seriously injured 6/11/2006 at Buena Vista, Colorado at the end of a four hour
    flight. According to the AWOS the winds changed both in direction and strength as he approached the airport. This wasn't a strong event, but the pilot encountered 2000fpm down at 700ft agl and couldn't make the airport. I suspect that some of these
    events might recur in certain areas, but maybe not frequently enough to say there's a pattern, but I know that I started avoiding the area north/northeast of our operation after a couple of encounters and one former member landed out in that area one
    afternoon and got caught out by the sink.

Not acquainted with Shmulik Dimenstein other than we exchanged a few e-mails when he relocated to Colorado. Did catch his flights online frequently though. Condolences to friends and family.

Frank Whiteley

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George Haeh@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 18 09:49:35 2022
    In this sad case, we have an ASOS record of a gust which firmly puts this accident in the heavy windshear category.

I suspect that a large portion of the stall/spin turning final accidents where the pilot is blamed for insufficient airspeed are really windshear accidents.

In my own case, my yellow triangle 54 kt airspeed was deemed insufficient when the wind at windsock height was 9 kt.

Yep, it wasn't enough for a 28 kt windshear.

The usual approach speed formulas work maybe 99.9% of the time.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 18 18:24:05 2022
    Excellent advice. I'd only add one small point: if you're on finals with
    brakes already out when you hit that unexpected sink PUT THE AIRBRAKES
    AWAY as you push the nose down.

On Thu, 16 Jun 2022 10:23:18 -0700 (PDT), 2G wrote:

I've stood on the ground at Rieti and watched thunderstorms over
    mountains to the west. Then the downdraft from these crossed the site
    and not long later fired off new storms over the nearer mountains to
    the east. Then those too produced downdrafts, creating about 30 or 40
    knots crosswind on the airfield, coinciding with arrival of the
    earliest finishers.

When people are coming in at maybe 120 knots or more, maybe they don't
    notice quite how strong the wind is, and only a couple elected to turn
    gently right, let the wind drift them out a bit, then left and land
    across the usual runway direction. For a while I was worried one of the
    world's most experienced coaches was going to either spin from his 210
    degree final turn, or undershoot and land on a hangar. Not much
    airbrake.

I was running from a thunderstorm in Colorado decades ago and, after
    overflying the airport, turned downwind and base when the outflow
    hit.
    than turn final and accept that humongous cross wind, I simply landed
    straight ahead, across the runway, infield, taxiway, and apron. I
    then flew the glider on the ground until the storm passed.

I'm not saying that Schmuel had any chance of saving himself, just a
    reminder that there is more than one way to get safely on the ground.

Dan 5J

Microbursts are extreme cases of wind shear, which have taken down heavy airliners (L1011 at DFW, for example, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines_Flight_191). This AC was
    issued by the FAA as a response, in part, to this accident: https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC00-54.pdf
    While it is now 34 years old, all the info in it is still very relevant. Microbursts can occur anywhere but are much more prevalent in Colorado
    and Florida. The time duration of microbursts is short, 10 to 20
    minutes, so just because the guy in front of you had normal winds
    doesn't mean that you will. We fly in conditions during which convection
    is present, and land most often when dissipation is occurring, the most likely time for microbursts.

1. Avoidance 2. Airspeed 3. Reaction Since the lifetime of microbursts
    is relatively short, if you have ANY suspicion that it is happening, or
    about to happen, wait it out. Microbursts likely will kick up dust on
    the ground, so any indication of blowing dust is a tell. Once you commit
    to land and the conditions for microburst MAY be present, carry extra airspeed in the pattern, A LOT of extra airspeed (fly the pattern at 90
    kt - that speed can be bled off quickly on short final). It would take a
    tail gust of 50 kt to stall you at this airspeed.

down and dive at the ground. This will feel VERY uncomfortable but is
    the one thing maneuver you have at your disposal. Failure to do this
    WILL result in a stall/spin low to the ground, which is non-recoverable,
    so avoiding this outcome is the top priority (this happened to Shmulik).
    Note that you will already be dropping fast when this happens and the
    ground will be rushing up at you, so your instinct, which must be
    fought, will be to pull up on the stick. An important thing to remember
    is that close to the ground the vertical air motion will flatten out and
    your vertical down rate will cease, although you will still have a
    tailwind. You will also have ground effect in your favor (if you are
    within a wingspan of the ground). The area of a microburst is small, and
    you have a good chance of flying out of it.

Tom

--

Martin | martin at
    Gregorie | gregorie dot org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From J6 aka Airport Bum@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 27 17:55:02 2022
    Clemen’s analysis of Shmulik’s accident:

https://chessintheair.com/invisible-microburst-kills-expert-glider-pilot

Also, I understand that the NTSB is releasing their preliminary accident report on June 28 around 3 pm eastern time. Here are the instructions on how to find it:

The preliminary report will be available in the NTSB Aviation Accident Database. Please follow these instructions to search for the report:

Visit: https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-main-public/keyword-search
    Click the right side of the search box to open a drop down
    Click “Investigations”
    Input the accident number CEN22FA240 into the second search window
    Click the “Search” button on the right or hit the “Enter” key on your keyboard
    Once the search concludes, the accident investigation record will include a link to a PDF copy of the Preliminary Report

The final report will take up to two years to be completed and released.

Jim J6

On Friday, June 10, 2022 at 8:56:45 AM UTC-6, R wrote:
    This is a shocker. He was highly experienced and I hope the riddle is answered so that I (we) can learn from it.
    I had the privilege of joining the regulars at Rifle last June for a short visit to learn and experience mountain flying and Shumlik was the Host and a mentor.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 28 04:06:12 2022
    Excellent work by Clemen. I believe he explained an incident I had years ago. Luck was with me that day.

I have to ponder his point about the increase risk of fly gliders. While statistics might prove him correct, I feel safer in a glider than I do driving on the interstate…i.e…I-95 between Palm Beach and Miami. Shmulik is the first person I knew
    personally that perished in a glider crash since 1973.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 28 06:59:55 2022
    On 6/28/2022 4:06 AM, R wrote:
    Excellent work by Clemen. I believe he explained an incident I had years ago. Luck was with me that day.

I have to ponder his point about the increase risk of fly gliders. While statistics might prove him correct, I feel safer in a glider than I do driving on the interstate…i.e…I-95 between Palm Beach and Miami. Shmulik is the first person I knew

R
    For me, over four decades, several glider pilots I knew, or knew of, have died in glider
    accidents. I don't know of any that died while driving a car. There was one that died as a
    pedestrian, another that died while hiking, and one of cancer, but glider crashes have
    claimed more than those causes combined.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 28 15:28:13 2022
    Yeh, the key word is ‘personally’ known. A few in power planes. None by car.
    I soloed a bunch of 14 year olds, no concerns. I wouldn’t let them go out on the highway.
    R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Tue Jun 28 15:16:24 2022
    On Tuesday, June 28, 2022 at 10:00:01 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On 6/28/2022 4:06 AM, R wrote:

R
    For me, over four decades, several glider pilots I knew, or knew of, have died in glider
    accidents. I don't know of any that died while driving a car. There was one that died as a
    pedestrian, another that died while hiking, and one of cancer, but glider crashes have
    claimed more than those causes combined.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ramy@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 28 21:54:32 2022
    On Tuesday, June 28, 2022 at 3:28:17 PM UTC-7, R wrote:
    I soloed a bunch of 14 year olds, no concerns. I wouldn’t let them go out on the highway.
    R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ramy@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 28 22:00:49 2022
    R
    Please don’t claim that the driving to the airport is the most dangerous part of flying. Soaring is 2 order of magnitude more dangerous. I can’t recall anyone I know who died in a car accident, yet on average one person I personally knew dies in
    glider accident every other year.
    Perhaps if all the pilots you personally know are those in your gliding club it is quiet possible you get the wrong impression.
    This is a wonderful sport, but our statistics sucks.

Ramy

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Ramy on Wed Jun 29 04:16:11 2022
    On Wednesday, June 29, 2022 at 1:00:53 AM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
    R
    Please don’t claim that the driving to the airport is the most dangerous part of flying. Soaring is 2 order of magnitude more dangerous. I can’t recall anyone I know who died in a car accident, yet on average one person I personally knew dies in
    glider accident every other year.
    Perhaps if all the pilots you personally know are those in your gliding club it is quiet possible you get the wrong impression.
    This is a wonderful sport, but our statistics sucks.

Ramy
    R gets a bit carried away at times and dreams, I must agree Ramy, I can name five people that I have flown with and knew that have perished in a glider. Robbie Robertson, Clem Bowman, Doug Gaines, Maylen Wier, Tom Irlbeck, four of these pilots were from
    Florida. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From RR@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 29 05:39:07 2022
    As if we don't have enugh invisible hazards, I ran across this video posted on Facebook in a hang gliding group. It is about wake turbulence behind helicopters.

I have always worried about the outflow of helicopters that are hovering, but not so much classic wake turbulence. Both Rifle and my home airport have some heavy Helo traffic (literally heavy, not busy). just something to be aware of...

https://youtu.be/9YvL62T3Hm0

Rick

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 29 07:40:37 2022
    On 6/29/22 06:39, RR wrote:
    As if we don't have enugh invisible hazards, I ran across this video posted on Facebook in a hang gliding group. It is about wake turbulence behind helicopters.

I have always worried about the outflow of helicopters that are hovering, but not so much classic wake turbulence. Both Rifle and my home airport have some heavy Helo traffic (literally heavy, not busy). just something to be aware of...

https://youtu.be/9YvL62T3Hm0

Rick

Similar video I posted a long time ago, Blackhawk vs SR20 at an airport
    near my home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8EwvDTJeNs

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 29 10:22:29 2022
    On Wednesday, June 29, 2022 at 1:16:15 PM UTC-4, R wrote:
    Well, I race all over the SE since 2003, everyone is still alive. If I applied Ramy math…..I’ve been in gliders since 1973…49 years / 2 = 24 killed in gliders that I would know personally…..nope. Just one.
    All my students , hundreds of them, are still ticking. Only one of them actually crashed. A king air pilot.
    Maybe it’s because all the pilots I know personally are exceptional pilots. The best of the best.
    Anyway, who’s this ‘Purist Bob’ Youngblood smuck insulting everybody? Always writing about how many tows he makes, Trashing instructors for his poor towing skills.
    I read he’s nice to the kids. That’s great. Good to know he has a heart. Again a great job by RR and Clemen….I learned and believe I am a better pilot with that knowledge.

R
    Henry, you crack me up, you cannot even get the frequency correct, it's Schmuck you idiot, can't you spell?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 29 10:16:11 2022
    Well, I race all over the SE since 2003, everyone is still alive. If I applied Ramy math…..I’ve been in gliders since 1973…49 years / 2 = 24 killed in gliders that I would know personally…..nope. Just one.
    All my students , hundreds of them, are still ticking. Only one of them actually crashed. A king air pilot.
    Maybe it’s because all the pilots I know personally are exceptional pilots. The best of the best.
    Anyway, who’s this ‘Purist Bob’ Youngblood smuck insulting everybody? Always writing about how many tows he makes, Trashing instructors for his poor towing skills.
    I read he’s nice to the kids. That’s great. Good to know he has a heart. Again a great job by RR and Clemen….I learned and believe I am a better pilot with that knowledge.

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ramy@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 29 22:51:48 2022
    Excellent analysis and lessons by Clemens. Everyone should read it. I hope it will make its way to soaring magazines and publications.

Ramy

On Monday, June 27, 2022 at 5:55:06 PM UTC-7, J6 aka Airport Bum wrote:

Also, I understand that the NTSB is releasing their preliminary accident report on June 28 around 3 pm eastern time. Here are the instructions on how to find it:

The preliminary report will be available in the NTSB Aviation Accident Database. Please follow these instructions to search for the report:

Click “Investigations”
    Once the search concludes, the accident investigation record will include a link to a PDF copy of the Preliminary Report

Jim J6

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jason Leonard@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 30 10:25:45 2022
    We have all the data we need for our glide instruments to alert us to windshear. Groundspeed reducing while airspeed increasing and a sensation of "gaining performance" (a climb to maintain speed or stick feel). Then the inevitable decrease in airspeed
    gain, continued decrease in groundspeed as a downward sensation occurs. We have the technology even in a simple glide computer to alert us to windshear - and I'd be happy to help develop a feature in LXNAV instruments (since I have one) to make a full
    volume aural alert populate as the described conditions occur. Up to this very moment - there is recovery hope. After this moment - if you don't have excess ground speed, you simply won't have enough resultant airspeed after this point of the burst.

I've personally experienced these in airliners and almost every time we as a crew are surprised by the conditions that created such a downdraft. In Florida even a tiny little shower shaft is suspect. Thankfully we went around and you are only reading
    about it now. It didn't look powerful by any standard. It was tiny, could see through the rain shaft, and no outflow dust visible (we're in Florida after all).

If you get a rush of airspeed and have to climb to maintain speed and the groundspeed decreases - one way or another that gain will be soon lost, so lower the nose and regain your groundspeed prior to the event. Our Airbus manages a minimum groundspeed
    on approach and will increase our approach speed all the way up to nearly flap speed limit to maintain that target groundspeed.

We should do the same. If the wind looks calm: your ground speed shouldn't be lower than triangle speed. If it's 10-20kts down the runway - then your groundspeed should never be less than triangle speed IMO. I don't fly 1/2 the windspeed on top of
    triangle, I fly 1:1 over triangle speed for wind for this reason is because I want the same Total energy.

I think I'm going to make a special page (until LXNAV can do something) that shows the groundspeed and TAS one on top of each other, just for the pattern. Not that I'll be glancing at that very much, but it'll maybe clue me in if I feel that gain of
    performance feeling, can glance at the ground vs TAS for a diverging split in the two.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jason Leonard@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 30 10:52:26 2022
    A great visual is made in the following video at 6:03 - but the video is a good idea of just how hazardous downdrafts and microbursts can be:

https://youtu.be/_ogV3VH_qjA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Ramy on Thu Jun 30 13:51:52 2022
    One thing I took away from the discussion was there was no mention of
    simply rolling out and landing into whatever is there. Granted Schmuel
    was very quickly in an untenable spot but, hopefully the next time
    something like this happens at a somewhat higher altitude, the "victim"
    may have the choice to land straight ahead rather than wrap it up into a stall/spin.

Like Bob Hoover said, "Fly it as far into the crash as you can." That
    will very likely be survivable whereas a crash likely won't.

Dan
    5J

On 6/29/22 23:51, Ramy wrote:
    Excellent analysis and lessons by Clemens. Everyone should read it. I hope it will make its way to soaring magazines and publications.

Ramy

Click “Investigations”

Jim J6

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jason Leonard@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Thu Jun 30 14:08:00 2022
    On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 3:51:58 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
    may have the choice to land straight ahead rather than wrap it up into a stall/spin.

Dan
    5J

Ramy

https://chessintheair.com/invisible-microburst-kills-expert-glider-pilot >>

Click “Investigations”

The final report will take up to two years to be completed and released. >>
    Jim J6

R

Unfortunately there usually isn't any airspeed left to stop the stall or spin. Don't mix up my words here. I meant there simply isn't any airflow over the controls to lower the nose, to put opposing rudder in, or to try to keep it right side up. It's
    very abrupt and powerful when you get hit. I've not had it happen in a glider. I'd recommend anyone with the access to get a simulator ride and experience windshear from the safety of a box. I'll add that when you see it happen in real life the sensory
    overload from it is Very good powerful and your instinct will try to kill you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jason Leonard@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Thu Jun 30 14:10:24 2022

Dan
    5J

Ramy

Click “Investigations”

Jim J6

R

Unfortunately there usually isn't any airspeed left to stop the stall or spin. Don't mix up my words here. I mean there simply isn't any airflow over the controls to lower the nose even though the stick is full forward, to put opposing rudder in and stop
    the roll, or to try to keep it right side up. It's very abrupt and powerful when you get hit. I've not had it happen in a glider. I'd recommend anyone with the access to get a simulator ride and experience windshear from the safety of a box. I'll add
    that when you see it happen in real life the sensory overload from it is very powerful and your instinct will try to kill you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Thu Jun 30 16:23:41 2022

Dan
    5J

Ramy

Click “Investigations”

Jim J6

R
    I think that is the best assessment that I have ever heard, Hoover knew a few things.OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Jason Leonard on Fri Jul 1 11:58:08 2022
    I've experienced wind shear (or similar phenomena) both in the simulator
    (King air) and in flight. Fortunately, the simulator occurrence
    happened before the actual experience as I crashed the simulator on the
    first go. The second attempt was successful.

In the glider it was an encounter with rotor close to a mountain slope.
    The glider started a lazy roll with the nose falling but I had enough altitude to stuff the nose down as soon as I had aerodynamic control and
    to recover without more than minor seat cushion deformity.

In my initial post I acknowledged that Schmuel's experience was not
    recoverable but pointed out that folks should have other tools in their
    bags of tricks should they experience similar at higher altitudes, i.e., getting aligned with the runway may or not be possible and to accept a
    crash landing under control rather than the alternative.

Dan
    5J

On 6/30/22 15:08, Jason Leonard wrote:
    may have the choice to land straight ahead rather than wrap it up into a
    stall/spin.

Dan
    5J

Ramy

On Monday, June 27, 2022 at 5:55:06 PM UTC-7, J6 aka Airport Bum wrote: >>>> Clemen’s analysis of Shmulik’s accident:

https://chessintheair.com/invisible-microburst-kills-expert-glider-pilot >>>>

Click “Investigations”

The final report will take up to two years to be completed and released. >>>>
    Jim J6

R

Unfortunately there usually isn't any airspeed left to stop the stall or spin. Don't mix up my words here. I meant there simply isn't any airflow over the controls to lower the nose, to put opposing rudder in, or to try to keep it right side up. It's
    very abrupt and powerful when you get hit. I've not had it happen in a glider. I'd recommend anyone with the access to get a simulator ride and experience windshear from the safety of a box. I'll add that when you see it happen in real life the sensory
    overload from it is Very good powerful and your instinct will try to kill you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From cdeerinck@21:1/5 to jbl...@gmail.com on Sun Jul 3 07:04:11 2022
    On Thursday, June 30, 2022 at 10:25:49 AM UTC-7, jbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    We have all the data we need for our glide instruments to alert us to windshear. Groundspeed reducing while airspeed increasing and a sensation of "gaining performance" (a climb to maintain speed or stick feel). Then the inevitable decrease in airspeed
    gain, continued decrease in groundspeed as a downward sensation occurs. We have the technology even in a simple glide computer to alert us to windshear - and I'd be happy to help develop a feature in LXNAV instruments (since I have one) to make a full
    volume aural alert populate as the described conditions occur. Up to this very moment - there is recovery hope. After this moment - if you don't have excess ground speed, you simply won't have enough resultant airspeed after this point of the burst.

I've personally experienced these in airliners and almost every time we as a crew are surprised by the conditions that created such a downdraft. In Florida even a tiny little shower shaft is suspect. Thankfully we went around and you are only reading
    about it now. It didn't look powerful by any standard. It was tiny, could see through the rain shaft, and no outflow dust visible (we're in Florida after all).

If you get a rush of airspeed and have to climb to maintain speed and the groundspeed decreases - one way or another that gain will be soon lost, so lower the nose and regain your groundspeed prior to the event. Our Airbus manages a minimum groundspeed
    on approach and will increase our approach speed all the way up to nearly flap speed limit to maintain that target groundspeed.

We should do the same. If the wind looks calm: your ground speed shouldn't be lower than triangle speed. If it's 10-20kts down the runway - then your groundspeed should never be less than triangle speed IMO. I don't fly 1/2 the windspeed on top of
    triangle, I fly 1:1 over triangle speed for wind for this reason is because I want the same Total energy.

I think I'm going to make a special page (until LXNAV can do something) that shows the groundspeed and TAS one on top of each other, just for the pattern. Not that I'll be glancing at that very much, but it'll maybe clue me in if I feel that gain of
    performance feeling, can glance at the ground vs TAS for a diverging split in the two.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From cdeerinck@21:1/5 to jbl...@gmail.com on Sun Jul 3 08:05:42 2022
    We have all the data we need for our glide instruments to alert us to windshear...

JBL, good ideas for sure, but there is one case that perhaps you are not considering.

If you enter under the microburst, you will not have the initial increase airspeed/decrease groundspeed that you described.
    Perhaps it would be better if I said "If the microburst hits you from above". If that is the case, no warning would be possible, other than the vario dropping away.

BTW, LX Nav already has a headwind/tailwind component as a Nav box, and it is on my landing screen, so you wouldn't need to do the math in the air.

------------------

On another note, Ramy is correct on the statistics of soaring, in that it is far more dangerous than driving. The "driving to the airport" meme really needs to die. Unfortunately, all the personal anecdotes only lead to personal biased opinions. Here
    is a great write-up by Clemens Ceipek: https://chessintheair.com/the-risk-of-dying-doing-what-we-love/ The best alternative analyses that I have come across agree with his. Like Clemens, I think risk per hour is by far the best metric. That said, most
    of our risk is focused on the first and last 5 minutes of each flight. It is very interesting to me that as you get very old, you are actually safer on a commercial jet than you are in your own living room. Likely because their is medical assistance
    close-by.

I did not know Shmulik Dimenstein, and based on what I have read here, that is a loss to me, as he was truly a great person to know. My condolences to his friends and family. In my case, I know that soaring is dangerous, but I still choose to do it,
    and even recently became a proud Dad as my 19-year-old daughter recently just soloed in gliders. She too is aware of the hazards.

In 100 years or less, everyone reading this will pass away as well. Most importantly, is how we choose to live in the meantime. Do what you love to do, share it with those around you, be honest to yourself and others about the risks, and do what you
    can to mitigate them when you can.

And one last piece of advice that I would give to any friend willing to listen: try to live your life as Shmulik did, so that you will be remembered and appreciated by those around you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ramy@21:1/5 to chuck.d...@gmail.com on Sun Jul 3 09:18:35 2022
    Chuck, very well said. My thoughts exactly.

Ramy

On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 8:05:44 AM UTC-7, chuck.d...@gmail.com wrote:
    We have all the data we need for our glide instruments to alert us to windshear...

JBL, good ideas for sure, but there is one case that perhaps you are not considering.

If you enter under the microburst, you will not have the initial increase airspeed/decrease groundspeed that you described.
    Perhaps it would be better if I said "If the microburst hits you from above".
    If that is the case, no warning would be possible, other than the vario dropping away.

BTW, LX Nav already has a headwind/tailwind component as a Nav box, and it is on my landing screen, so you wouldn't need to do the math in the air.

------------------

On another note, Ramy is correct on the statistics of soaring, in that it is far more dangerous than driving. The "driving to the airport" meme really needs to die. Unfortunately, all the personal anecdotes only lead to personal biased opinions. Here
    is a great write-up by Clemens Ceipek: https://chessintheair.com/the-risk-of-dying-doing-what-we-love/ The best alternative analyses that I have come across agree with his. Like Clemens, I think risk per hour is by far the best metric. That said, most of
    our risk is focused on the first and last 5 minutes of each flight. It is very interesting to me that as you get very old, you are actually safer on a commercial jet than you are in your own living room. Likely because their is medical assistance close-
    by.

I did not know Shmulik Dimenstein, and based on what I have read here, that is a loss to me, as he was truly a great person to know. My condolences to his friends and family. In my case, I know that soaring is dangerous, but I still choose to do it,
    and even recently became a proud Dad as my 19-year-old daughter recently just soloed in gliders. She too is aware of the hazards.

In 100 years or less, everyone reading this will pass away as well. Most importantly, is how we choose to live in the meantime. Do what you love to do, share it with those around you, be honest to yourself and others about the risks, and do what you

And one last piece of advice that I would give to any friend willing to listen: try to live your life as Shmulik did, so that you will be remembered and appreciated by those around you.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From J6 aka Airport Bum@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 5 10:57:43 2022
    A follow-on Clemens wrote, addressing some good comments to his original analysis:

https://chessintheair.com/are-dry-microburst-really-an-invisible-trap-responding-to-reactions/

Jim J6

On Monday, June 27, 2022 at 6:55:06 PM UTC-6, J6 aka Airport Bum wrote:

Click “Investigations”

Jim J6

R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From john firth@21:1/5 to Ramy on Tue Jul 5 10:51:37 2022
    On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 12:18:37 PM UTC-4, Ramy wrote:
    Chuck, very well said. My thoughts exactly.

Ramy
    On Sunday, July 3, 2022 at 8:05:44 AM UTC-7, chuck.d...@gmail.com wrote:

Perhaps it would be better if I said "If the microburst hits you from above".
    If that is the case, no warning would be possible, other than the vario dropping away.

------------------

is a great write-up by Clemens Ceipek: https://chessintheair.com/the-risk-of-dying-doing-what-we-love/ The best alternative analyses that I have come across agree with his. Like Clemens, I think risk per hour is by far the best metric. That said, most of
    our risk is focused on the first and last 5 minutes of each flight. It is very interesting to me that as you get very old, you are actually safer on a commercial jet than you are in your own living room. Likely because their is medical assistance close-
    by.

"Chess in the air" is extremely interesting for glider pilots and an (ex) safety officer like myself.
    However, the scenario is very important.
    We can control/ choose and how and where we fly.

Local flying within airfield range
    Cross country flying cultivated land
    Cross country hazardous/ unlandable terrain
    Competition flying
    Downbursts we cannot control , merely have a probability awareness .

Pilot experience/ currency is a big factor; how about self launch vs normal?

After 60+ years and 6000 + hrs and and 25 or so contests, four near death events, two driving,
    two flying, I am somewhat conservative; closest one was while instructing a checkout flight.
    Turning final from left base, the customary glance to the right showed the towplane on RH base
    heading straight at us; stick hard left, full forward ; not a near miss, but a near collision at 200 ft.
    Expect the unexpected!
    John Firth ( old no longer bold )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chip Bearden@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 5 20:06:48 2022
    Thank you, Clemens, for your insightful and very valuable contribution to improving the safety of our sport. As you note in your "Soaring - Chess in the Air" article--another fine piece of work--soaring is more dangerous than most of us think. Certainly
    it's the riskiest thing I do.

My number--of pilots I've known personally who have died in gliding accidents--is up to 20 now. I don't want to speak for Dave Nadler, who's written about safety, but I believe his is significantly higher.

As one fellow observed after a recent safety talk I gave on this subject, 20 deaths is not that many given that I've been in soaring since I soloed in 1965. Actually it goes back a few years before that when I crewed for my father. He was killed in a
    glider crash, which I witnessed, and since then I've watched two other fatal glider crashes and lost my best friend, Robert Robertson, in another. I have a great photo of Robbie taken of the top 3 at the 1986 U.S. 15 Meter Nats. Two of those 3 died in
    gliding accidents. The majority of pilots on my list were experienced competition pilots flying modern equipment.

But getting back to the point, it's true that 20 fatal crashes in 57 years sounds statistically unremarkable--except when I try to think of people I've known who died in auto accidents during that time: perhaps 2 or 3. As Bruno Gantenbrink pointed out in
    his 1993 speech on this subject, it's NOT true that "the most dangerous part of soaring is driving to and from the airport." My father used that old reassuring phrase myriad times, as did I. I haven't said it for many years.

Chip Bearden
    JB

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05