• Are CFIG's Tow Pilots Nightmares?

From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 8 12:12:06 2022
    Getting back to soaring related topics, I as a tow pilot have had a few interesting tows, and the most dangerous tows that I have experienced have come at the hands of CFIG's, and in one instance two CFIG's were in the towed sailplane. Why would a CFIG,
    let a student get so far out of control at an altitude of less than 100 feet? I personally think the tow pilot knows more about what is going on in the towed glider than the occupants of the said glider. Self launch guys please don't enlighten us purist with your opinions, yet go ahead, it is a free country. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Wed Jun 8 13:04:58 2022
    On Wednesday, June 8, 2022 at 3:12:08 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Getting back to soaring related topics, I as a tow pilot have had a few interesting tows, and the most dangerous tows that I have experienced have come at the hands of CFIG's, and in one instance two CFIG's were in the towed sailplane. Why would a CFIG,
    let a student get so far out of control at an altitude of less than 100 feet?
    I personally think the tow pilot knows more about what is going on in the towed glider than the occupants of the said glider. Self launch guys please don't enlighten us purist with your opinions, yet go ahead, it is a free country. Old Bob, The Purist

Some instructors wait, in my experience, too long for the student to recognize and correct out of position conditions.
    When this happens, I take control, fix the problem , and return control. Takeoffs are hard to learn and take some time. Some instructors know this and try to start sooner.
    My rule of thumb is that the student needs to have very good position control up high before I let the student do it low.
    2 CFIG's- who was flying?
    Grumpy Tow pilot/Instructor UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Hank Nixon on Wed Jun 8 14:20:03 2022
    On Wednesday, June 8, 2022 at 4:05:00 PM UTC-4, Hank Nixon wrote:
    Getting back to soaring related topics, I as a tow pilot have had a few interesting tows, and the most dangerous tows that I have experienced have come at the hands of CFIG's, and in one instance two CFIG's were in the towed sailplane. Why would a
    CFIG, let a student get so far out of control at an altitude of less than 100 feet?
    I personally think the tow pilot knows more about what is going on in the towed glider than the occupants of the said glider. Self launch guys please don't enlighten us purist with your opinions, yet go ahead, it is a free country. Old Bob, The Purist
    Some instructors wait, in my experience, too long for the student to recognize and correct out of position conditions.
    When this happens, I take control, fix the problem , and return control. Takeoffs are hard to learn and take some time. Some instructors know this and try to start sooner.
    My rule of thumb is that the student needs to have very good position control up high before I let the student do it low.
    2 CFIG's- who was flying?
    Grumpy Tow pilot/Instructor UH
    Dumb and Dumber, it was a show in and of itself!!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Wed Jun 8 16:04:33 2022
    let a student get so far out of control at an altitude of less than 100 feet?

The last two "known to me" tow pilot deaths were both with CFIG's flying the glider in tow. The Byron incident was clearly the fault of the CFIG Glider pilot. The Front Royal CFIG was fooling around with A Go Pro which the investigation said
    contributed to the crash of the tow plane. As I have said before, how can you trust a 15 year old kid to do the right thing when a CFIG can screw up?

Glad you weren't the 3rd tow pilot to crash with a CFIG behind you Bob.

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    Now Happy Helicopter Pilot

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 8 17:45:17 2022
    Two Doctors in a Bonanza
    R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 9 05:11:01 2022
    On Wednesday, June 8, 2022 at 8:45:18 PM UTC-4, R wrote:
    Two Doctors in a Bonanza
    R

I was a nuclear cardiovascular technologist doing a Thallium Stress Test with a new non-invasive cardiologist, previously unknown to me. He was wearing some sort of WINGS on his lab coat which I found humorous. We got into a discussion about flying and
    he told me he had just bought an early model Bonanza and invited me to go flying with him. I had a couple hundred hours in the Bo at the time and agreed. His skills were minimal at best and I learned he was just over 100 hours total time. Don't know
    how he managed to get insurance if he had it at all but it must have had a high premium.

He overshot base to final into Orlando exec and I kept saying pitch down, pitch down, he was close to stall. This model had a throw over yoke so I had to take my left hand and do it for him or he would have killed the both of us. He was a doctor, I was
    a technologist so he knew it all. I highly suggested he get some more dual and knew a guy at Showalter who could teach him the finer things he needed to know, he brushed off my suggestion. Reasonably competent doctor, not so as a pilot. A few months
    later he came into my lab and told me he was going on vacation to Colorado with his wife and kid. I suggested that while he was out there he get some dual, mountain flying could be tricky. Then to my horror he said he was flying his Bo with his wife
    and kid and he knew what he was doing. I advised against that, he dismissed me once again.

Long story short, he took off after refueling somewhere en route, higher altitude than our near sea level airports here in the Sunshine State. Hot day, Full load of fuel, wife, kid and luggage, eyewitness said it was a classic departure stall. His
    partners kept telling me what a brilliant young doctor he was, perhaps but not so brilliant pilot.

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 9 12:56:34 2022
    Not necessarily.

My partner in our Cessna 180 is an excellent pilot and I'd fly anywhere
    with him. Oh, he's a glider pilot, AND tow pilot, too.

Dan
    5J

On 6/8/22 18:45, R wrote:
    Two Doctors in a Bonanza
    R

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From R@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Fri Jun 10 05:00:51 2022
    On Thursday, June 9, 2022 at 2:56:38 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Not necessarily.

Dan
    5J
    Two Doctors in a Bonanza
    R

You might be the weak link...so ...sit in the back...don't touch the controls.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jason Leonard@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jun 15 16:16:34 2022
    On Friday, June 10, 2022 at 8:00:53 AM UTC-4, R wrote:
    Not necessarily.

My partner in our Cessna 180 is an excellent pilot and I'd fly anywhere with him. Oh, he's a glider pilot, AND tow pilot, too.

Dan
    5J
    Two Doctors in a Bonanza
    R

I can tell you two check airman in an airliner are a terrible safety hazard. I forget which branch of the military actually barred two check pilots from flying together due to the incredible higher risk rate. It's an interesting conundrum for sure. I'm
    glad I'm not the one scaring you. I heard about these two situations around the water cooler and frankly I'm not impressed.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to jbl...@gmail.com on Wed Jun 15 19:24:38 2022
    On Wednesday, June 15, 2022 at 7:16:38 PM UTC-4, jbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Not necessarily.

My partner in our Cessna 180 is an excellent pilot and I'd fly anywhere with him. Oh, he's a glider pilot, AND tow pilot, too.

Dan
    5J
    Two Doctors in a Bonanza
    R
    I can tell you two check airman in an airliner are a terrible safety hazard. I forget which branch of the military actually barred two check pilots from flying together due to the incredible higher risk rate. It's an interesting conundrum for sure. I'm
    glad I'm not the one scaring you. I heard about these two situations around the water cooler and frankly I'm not impressed.
    Having done over one thousand tows in 12 months is not bad for a tow pilot, and of that thousand I can honestly say that only five or less have been beyond what anyone should accept. one was a spoiler full deployment just after takeoff from a guy that
    took over 200 tows to solo, the other was from a girl that panicked on her solo and one with two with instructors in the glider. The incident that you heard about was a near disaster, and also had an instructor and student flying the glider, I was not
    very comfortable looking at the ground at near vertical at 100 feet really gets your attention. Some people need to take up fishing, but there again they would probably hook someone. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Thu Jun 16 17:57:19 2022
    On Wednesday, June 15, 2022 at 8:24:42 PM UTC-6, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Not necessarily.

Dan
    5J
    Two Doctors in a Bonanza
    R
    I can tell you two check airman in an airliner are a terrible safety hazard. I forget which branch of the military actually barred two check pilots from flying together due to the incredible higher risk rate. It's an interesting conundrum for sure. I'
    m glad I'm not the one scaring you. I heard about these two situations around the water cooler and frankly I'm not impressed.
    Having done over one thousand tows in 12 months is not bad for a tow pilot, and of that thousand I can honestly say that only five or less have been beyond what anyone should accept. one was a spoiler full deployment just after takeoff from a guy that
    took over 200 tows to solo, the other was from a girl that panicked on her solo and one with two with instructors in the glider. The incident that you heard about was a near disaster, and also had an instructor and student flying the glider, I was not
    very comfortable looking at the ground at near vertical at 100 feet really gets your attention. Some people need to take up fishing, but there again they would probably hook someone. Old Bob, The Purist

Hey Old Bobby, one thing I CAN'T possibly do is KILL THE TOW PILOT!!!!! Well, I guess I could have a mid-air with a brainless tow pilot...

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 17 05:06:40 2022
    On Thursday, June 16, 2022 at 8:57:23 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
    Not necessarily.

Dan
    5J
    Two Doctors in a Bonanza
    R
    I can tell you two check airman in an airliner are a terrible safety hazard. I forget which branch of the military actually barred two check pilots from flying together due to the incredible higher risk rate. It's an interesting conundrum for sure.
    I'm glad I'm not the one scaring you. I heard about these two situations around the water cooler and frankly I'm not impressed.
    Having done over one thousand tows in 12 months is not bad for a tow pilot, and of that thousand I can honestly say that only five or less have been beyond what anyone should accept. one was a spoiler full deployment just after takeoff from a guy
    that took over 200 tows to solo, the other was from a girl that panicked on her solo and one with two with instructors in the glider. The incident that you heard about was a near disaster, and also had an instructor and student flying the glider, I was
    not very comfortable looking at the ground at near vertical at 100 feet really gets your attention. Some people need to take up fishing, but there again they would probably hook someone. Old Bob, The Purist
    Hey Old Bobby, one thing I CAN'T possibly do is KILL THE TOW PILOT!!!!! Well, I guess I could have a mid-air with a brainless tow pilot...

Tom

I would wager to say there are more brainless glider pilots than tow pilots. JMHO.

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 17 04:35:42 2022
    On Thursday, June 16, 2022 at 8:57:23 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
    Not necessarily.

Dan
    5J
    Two Doctors in a Bonanza
    R
    I can tell you two check airman in an airliner are a terrible safety hazard. I forget which branch of the military actually barred two check pilots from flying together due to the incredible higher risk rate. It's an interesting conundrum for sure.
    I'm glad I'm not the one scaring you. I heard about these two situations around the water cooler and frankly I'm not impressed.
    Having done over one thousand tows in 12 months is not bad for a tow pilot, and of that thousand I can honestly say that only five or less have been beyond what anyone should accept. one was a spoiler full deployment just after takeoff from a guy
    that took over 200 tows to solo, the other was from a girl that panicked on her solo and one with two with instructors in the glider. The incident that you heard about was a near disaster, and also had an instructor and student flying the glider, I was
    not very comfortable looking at the ground at near vertical at 100 feet really gets your attention. Some people need to take up fishing, but there again they would probably hook someone. Old Bob, The Purist

Tom
    Uncle Tom, I have been told that pilots that know you stay well clear of your path, they have concerns flying near you, everyone else should also. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Fri Jun 17 05:04:59 2022
    On Wednesday, June 15, 2022 at 10:24:42 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Not necessarily.

Dan
    5J
    Two Doctors in a Bonanza
    R
    I can tell you two check airman in an airliner are a terrible safety hazard. I forget which branch of the military actually barred two check pilots from flying together due to the incredible higher risk rate. It's an interesting conundrum for sure. I'
    m glad I'm not the one scaring you. I heard about these two situations around the water cooler and frankly I'm not impressed.

I averaged about 2700 tows a year for the two years and 8 months of my tenure at SLGP, that was working part time. The first severe kiting event was with a commercial add on student on a pattern tow, happened about 700 feet on the upwind. I had to duck
    down to look in the mirror with my hand on the release, all I could see was the underbelly of the glider. When he finally got the idea he descended rapidly and out to the side causing my plane to yaw 45 degrees and creating the most unusual harmonic
    sound. We had a nice chat at the end of his flight. He said he thought I was going to "fly up to him" indicating that he didn't understand the "release" when you lose sight of the tow plane admonition. He fully understood at the end of our
    conversation.

I had two open spoiler situations, one right after the other from two guys who came down to fly together. Number one didn't respond to the signal to check spoilers, we were climbing but not well. He finally got the idea as I was about to dump him. His
    buddy right after him had the same problem and someone on the ground, KZ as I recall came on the radio and told him to check spoilers.

Towing a certain group of foreign students was always thrilling, especially in box the wake and slack rope recovery but the cake was taken by a student whom the most experienced instructor on the field said "should not be flying." The lights are on but
    nobody's home. I had over 1000 hours flying in circles in northern Laos, close enough to see the s--t show over Hanoi on December 18th, 1972 and while we had a few wild rides it was she, not a Mig or SAM that came the closest to killing me. Recovering
    below tree top level with cattle scattering beneath you is not a pleasant experience. She had no idea what she did wrong but she did manage to fly back to the runway and land. An investigation of one of her social media accounts had a statement as
    follows: "Smile, it's easier then (sic) explaining what's killing you inside." In my personal and Constitutionally protected opinion she was emotionally unfit to fly. The manager told me during a discussion that he wasn't going to tell a student who
    wanted to continue to try to solo that she could not. Well, perhaps some should be told NO if the loss of a tow plane and tow pilot might be the result of ones ineptitude. Was money that important? She couldn't stay in the mirror even on dual and her
    instructor soloed her anyway.

Remember my friends, if you are flying tow and don't feel the student is up to the task you have the right to voice your opinion. I should have but didn't, MY BAD.

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Manley@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 17 12:27:18 2022
    I would like to contribute to the well-being of the sport's valuable tow pilots by suggesting that all glider rating candidates fully qualify to fly takeoffs and aerotows in Condor (simulation) before being allowed to perform those maneuvers in an actual
    glider.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Fri Jun 17 13:09:59 2022
    On Friday, June 17, 2022 at 8:05:03 AM UTC-4, waltco...@aol.com wrote:
    Not necessarily.

Dan
    5J
    Two Doctors in a Bonanza
    R
    I averaged about 2700 tows a year for the two years and 8 months of my tenure at SLGP, that was working part time. The first severe kiting event was with a commercial add on student on a pattern tow, happened about 700 feet on the upwind. I had to duck
    down to look in the mirror with my hand on the release, all I could see was the underbelly of the glider. When he finally got the idea he descended rapidly and out to the side causing my plane to yaw 45 degrees and creating the most unusual harmonic
    sound. We had a nice chat at the end of his flight. He said he thought I was going to "fly up to him" indicating that he didn't understand the "release" when you lose sight of the tow plane admonition. He fully understood at the end of our conversation.

I had two open spoiler situations, one right after the other from two guys who came down to fly together. Number one didn't respond to the signal to check spoilers, we were climbing but not well. He finally got the idea as I was about to dump him. His
    buddy right after him had the same problem and someone on the ground, KZ as I recall came on the radio and told him to check spoilers.

Towing a certain group of foreign students was always thrilling, especially in box the wake and slack rope recovery but the cake was taken by a student whom the most experienced instructor on the field said "should not be flying." The lights are on but
    nobody's home. I had over 1000 hours flying in circles in northern Laos, close enough to see the s--t show over Hanoi on December 18th, 1972 and while we had a few wild rides it was she, not a Mig or SAM that came the closest to killing me. Recovering
    below tree top level with cattle scattering beneath you is not a pleasant experience. She had no idea what she did wrong but she did manage to fly back to the runway and land. An investigation of one of her social media accounts had a statement as
    follows: "Smile, it's easier then (sic) explaining what's killing you inside." In my personal and Constitutionally protected opinion she was emotionally unfit to fly. The manager told me during a discussion that he wasn't going to tell a student who
    wanted to continue to try to solo that she could not. Well, perhaps some should be told NO if the loss of a tow plane and tow pilot might be the result of ones ineptitude. Was money that important? She couldn't stay in the mirror even on dual and her
    instructor soloed her anyway.

Remember my friends, if you are flying tow and don't feel the student is up to the task you have the right to voice your opinion. I should have but didn't, MY BAD.
    Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    Walt, you have made the best point about voicing concerns! I have been very vocal about expressing my concerns, actually I use the term ,"Chew Ass", when someone tries to kill me and themselves, yet they are clueless about themselves. Every tow pilot out
    there should be making it very clear to each glider pilot as to what is expected. Tow pilots have a very difficult decision to make at times, that decision is whether or not to pull the handle. Speaking for myself I should have pulled the handle a few
    times, yet I was too concerned about the person flying the glider, MY BAD also. Remember rule #5, "Don't Piss Off The Tow Pilot". Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sat Jun 18 15:18:33 2022
    On Friday, June 17, 2022 at 4:10:03 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Not necessarily.

Dan
    5J
    Two Doctors in a Bonanza
    R
    I can tell you two check airman in an airliner are a terrible safety hazard. I forget which branch of the military actually barred two check pilots from flying together due to the incredible higher risk rate. It's an interesting conundrum for
    sure. I'm glad I'm not the one scaring you. I heard about these two situations around the water cooler and frankly I'm not impressed.
    I averaged about 2700 tows a year for the two years and 8 months of my tenure at SLGP, that was working part time. The first severe kiting event was with a commercial add on student on a pattern tow, happened about 700 feet on the upwind. I had to
    duck down to look in the mirror with my hand on the release, all I could see was the underbelly of the glider. When he finally got the idea he descended rapidly and out to the side causing my plane to yaw 45 degrees and creating the most unusual harmonic
    sound. We had a nice chat at the end of his flight. He said he thought I was going to "fly up to him" indicating that he didn't understand the "release" when you lose sight of the tow plane admonition. He fully understood at the end of our conversation.

I had two open spoiler situations, one right after the other from two guys who came down to fly together. Number one didn't respond to the signal to check spoilers, we were climbing but not well. He finally got the idea as I was about to dump him.
    His buddy right after him had the same problem and someone on the ground, KZ as I recall came on the radio and told him to check spoilers.

Towing a certain group of foreign students was always thrilling, especially in box the wake and slack rope recovery but the cake was taken by a student whom the most experienced instructor on the field said "should not be flying." The lights are on
    but nobody's home. I had over 1000 hours flying in circles in northern Laos, close enough to see the s--t show over Hanoi on December 18th, 1972 and while we had a few wild rides it was she, not a Mig or SAM that came the closest to killing me.
    Recovering below tree top level with cattle scattering beneath you is not a pleasant experience. She had no idea what she did wrong but she did manage to fly back to the runway and land. An investigation of one of her social media accounts had a
    statement as follows: "Smile, it's easier then (sic) explaining what's killing you inside." In my personal and Constitutionally protected opinion she was emotionally unfit to fly. The manager told me during a discussion that he wasn't going to tell a
    student who wanted to continue to try to solo that she could not. Well, perhaps some should be told NO if the loss of a tow plane and tow pilot might be the result of ones ineptitude. Was money that important? She couldn't stay in the mirror even on dual
    and her instructor soloed her anyway.

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    Walt, you have made the best point about voicing concerns! I have been very vocal about expressing my concerns, actually I use the term ,"Chew Ass", when someone tries to kill me and themselves, yet they are clueless about themselves. Every tow pilot
    out there should be making it very clear to each glider pilot as to what is expected. Tow pilots have a very difficult decision to make at times, that decision is whether or not to pull the handle. Speaking for myself I should have pulled the handle a
    few times, yet I was too concerned about the person flying the glider, MY BAD also. Remember rule #5, "Don't Piss Off The Tow Pilot". Old Bob, The Purist

All tow pilots should be involved in the instructions to a student regarding release. I launched a lot of gliders, chased rope and hooked them up when I was taking lessons. I listened to the preflights between instructor and student and you would hear â
    €śif we lose sight of the tow plane, we release.” THIS was lacking in my opinion. A student should be told WHY to release, “BECAUSE OTHERWISE YOU MIGHT KILL THE TOW PILOT. “

After my last severe kiting incident I continued to tow for a few weeks before my “dismissal.’’ I would ask students, “what’s the most important thing you can do on tow.” Of course the answer should have been “to keep my eyes on the tow
    plane and release if I lost sight.” NO ONE gave me this answer in any way shape or form. In my opinion the information is just not sinking in. There is a difference between telling someone what to do and TEACHING someone what to do. IF it had been
    TAUGHT and driven home they should have answered correctly.

My suggestion would be to implement a “release” situation just like a rope break at low altitude. The instructor could say “We just lost sight of the tow plane.” The student would then be REQUIRED to release on his or her own.

While there is never going to be a foolproof way of eliminating kiting situations, anything that can be done to keep the holes in the cheese from lining up should be implemented.

I fully understand what you mean when you said "Tow pilots have a very difficult decision to make at times, that decision is whether or not to pull the handle." I had a 15 year old girl on the end of the string and should have pulled the handle the
    first time she violently jerked my tail to the right. She was out of sight on my right, not to the left and in the mirror where she was supposed to be. Had I done so and had she not made it back to the runway, who knows what might have happened?

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Sun Jun 19 00:08:36 2022
    On Sat, 18 Jun 2022 15:18:33 -0700 (PDT), waltco...@aol.com wrote:

While there is never going to be a foolproof way of eliminating kiting situations, anything that can be done to keep the holes in the cheese
    from lining up should be implemented.

As someone who didn't get an aero-tow sign-off until I had my Silver C I
    have to agree with that.

I learnt to fly on a winch in a variety of two-seaters: ASK-21, G.103,
    Puchacz and T.21. I'd flown all three, in that order, before getting
    signed off solo in the ASK-21 and converting to a Junior (used for Silver
    C) followed by Discus and Pegase, which beats the crap out of a Discus,
    IMO anyway,if only because it has better rear view.

This pre-solo flying included pre-solo spin training: done off winch
    launches followed by thermal climbs to a safe spinning height, and all in
    an ASK-21 WITHOUT tail weights. My instructor knew how to spin a K-21
    without a tail weight - if you fully cross it up from what passes for a
    stable mushing stall and it will go, though I must admit that both of us
    were quite light, which almost certainly helped.

Consequently, I got my Silver C before my aero-tow solo sign-off. I got
    the latter in preparation for a visit the USA and used it to fly at
    Boulder, Avenal, Williams and Minden as well as competing in free flight
    model competitions (F1A and F1J classes) at Lost Hills and Sacramento) so
    that all worked out very well. All in all a great trip since I dodged LAX, which I dislike, by flying into and out of Denver and driving to and from California.

--

Martin | martin at
    Gregorie | gregorie dot org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Behm@21:1/5 to Scott Manley on Sun Jun 19 09:13:42 2022
    On Friday, June 17, 2022 at 12:27:21 PM UTC-7, Scott Manley wrote:
    I would like to contribute to the well-being of the sport's valuable tow pilots by suggesting that all glider rating candidates fully qualify to fly takeoffs and aerotows in Condor (simulation) before being allowed to perform those maneuvers in an
    actual glider.

I would say that Condor aerotow is more difficult than in real life.
    One exception is flying in very active air on tow in real life. THAT can get entertaining.
    I never understand why glider pilots in the situations described by the tow pilots above don't release when they are so far out of shape.
    They must freeze up or something.
    It has been drilled into my head that if you lose sight of the tow plane, RELEASE!!!!!
    Seems pretty simple.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Mon Jun 20 04:27:52 2022
    On Saturday, June 18, 2022 at 6:18:37 PM UTC-4, waltco...@aol.com wrote:
    Not necessarily.

Dan
    5J
    Two Doctors in a Bonanza
    R
    I can tell you two check airman in an airliner are a terrible safety hazard. I forget which branch of the military actually barred two check pilots from flying together due to the incredible higher risk rate. It's an interesting conundrum for
    sure. I'm glad I'm not the one scaring you. I heard about these two situations around the water cooler and frankly I'm not impressed.
    I averaged about 2700 tows a year for the two years and 8 months of my tenure at SLGP, that was working part time. The first severe kiting event was with a commercial add on student on a pattern tow, happened about 700 feet on the upwind. I had to
    duck down to look in the mirror with my hand on the release, all I could see was the underbelly of the glider. When he finally got the idea he descended rapidly and out to the side causing my plane to yaw 45 degrees and creating the most unusual harmonic

I had two open spoiler situations, one right after the other from two guys who came down to fly together. Number one didn't respond to the signal to check spoilers, we were climbing but not well. He finally got the idea as I was about to dump him.
    His buddy right after him had the same problem and someone on the ground, KZ as I recall came on the radio and told him to check spoilers.

Towing a certain group of foreign students was always thrilling, especially in box the wake and slack rope recovery but the cake was taken by a student whom the most experienced instructor on the field said "should not be flying." The lights are on
    but nobody's home. I had over 1000 hours flying in circles in northern Laos, close enough to see the s--t show over Hanoi on December 18th, 1972 and while we had a few wild rides it was she, not a Mig or SAM that came the closest to killing me.
    Recovering below tree top level with cattle scattering beneath you is not a pleasant experience. She had no idea what she did wrong but she did manage to fly back to the runway and land. An investigation of one of her social media accounts had a
    statement as follows: "Smile, it's easier then (sic) explaining what's killing you inside." In my personal and Constitutionally protected opinion she was emotionally unfit to fly. The manager told me during a discussion that he wasn't going to tell a
    student who wanted to continue to try to solo that she could not. Well, perhaps some should be told NO if the loss of a tow plane and tow pilot might be the result of ones ineptitude. Was money that important? She couldn't stay in the mirror even on dual

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    Walt, you have made the best point about voicing concerns! I have been very vocal about expressing my concerns, actually I use the term ,"Chew Ass", when someone tries to kill me and themselves, yet they are clueless about themselves. Every tow pilot
    out there should be making it very clear to each glider pilot as to what is expected. Tow pilots have a very difficult decision to make at times, that decision is whether or not to pull the handle. Speaking for myself I should have pulled the handle a
    few times, yet I was too concerned about the person flying the glider, MY BAD also. Remember rule #5, "Don't Piss Off The Tow Pilot". Old Bob, The Purist
    All tow pilots should be involved in the instructions to a student regarding release. I launched a lot of gliders, chased rope and hooked them up when I was taking lessons. I listened to the preflights between instructor and student and you would hear â
    €śif we lose sight of the tow plane, we release.” THIS was lacking in my opinion. A student should be told WHY to release, “BECAUSE OTHERWISE YOU MIGHT KILL THE TOW PILOT. “

After my last severe kiting incident I continued to tow for a few weeks before my “dismissal.’’ I would ask students, “what’s the most important thing you can do on tow.” Of course the answer should have been “to keep my eyes on the tow
    plane and release if I lost sight.” NO ONE gave me this answer in any way shape or form. In my opinion the information is just not sinking in. There is a difference between telling someone what to do and TEACHING someone what to do. IF it had been

My suggestion would be to implement a “release” situation just like a rope break at low altitude. The instructor could say “We just lost sight of the tow plane.” The student would then be REQUIRED to release on his or her own.

While there is never going to be a foolproof way of eliminating kiting situations, anything that can be done to keep the holes in the cheese from lining up should be implemented.

I fully understand what you mean when you said "Tow pilots have a very difficult decision to make at times, that decision is whether or not to pull the handle." I had a 15 year old girl on the end of the string and should have pulled the handle the
    first time she violently jerked my tail to the right. She was out of sight on my right, not to the left and in the mirror where she was supposed to be. Had I done so and had she not made it back to the runway, who knows what might have happened?
    Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    I have been towing a lot of new glider pilots lately, our club seems to be the talk of aviation on the Treasure Coast, which is great for the sport. On every solo flight I have made clear that there is to be a very precise expectation, before takeoff I
    make radio contact and describe what my departure plan is and I also ask the student to confirm that the spoilers and canopy are closed and locked. When there is no reply I simply pull the release and exit the towplane . Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 20 06:06:31 2022
    On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 7:27:56 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Not necessarily.

Dan
    5J
    Two Doctors in a Bonanza
    R
    Having done over one thousand tows in 12 months is not bad for a tow pilot, and of that thousand I can honestly say that only five or less have been beyond what anyone should accept. one was a spoiler full deployment just after takeoff from a
    guy that took over 200 tows to solo, the other was from a girl that panicked on her solo and one with two with instructors in the glider. The incident that you heard about was a near disaster, and also had an instructor and student flying the glider, I
    was not very comfortable looking at the ground at near vertical at 100 feet really gets your attention. Some people need to take up fishing, but there again they would probably hook someone. Old Bob, The Purist
    I averaged about 2700 tows a year for the two years and 8 months of my tenure at SLGP, that was working part time. The first severe kiting event was with a commercial add on student on a pattern tow, happened about 700 feet on the upwind. I had
    to duck down to look in the mirror with my hand on the release, all I could see was the underbelly of the glider. When he finally got the idea he descended rapidly and out to the side causing my plane to yaw 45 degrees and creating the most unusual
    harmonic sound. We had a nice chat at the end of his flight. He said he thought I was going to "fly up to him" indicating that he didn't understand the "release" when you lose sight of the tow plane admonition. He fully understood at the end of our
    conversation.

Towing a certain group of foreign students was always thrilling, especially in box the wake and slack rope recovery but the cake was taken by a student whom the most experienced instructor on the field said "should not be flying." The lights are
    on but nobody's home. I had over 1000 hours flying in circles in northern Laos, close enough to see the s--t show over Hanoi on December 18th, 1972 and while we had a few wild rides it was she, not a Mig or SAM that came the closest to killing me.

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    Walt, you have made the best point about voicing concerns! I have been very vocal about expressing my concerns, actually I use the term ,"Chew Ass", when someone tries to kill me and themselves, yet they are clueless about themselves. Every tow
    pilot out there should be making it very clear to each glider pilot as to what is expected. Tow pilots have a very difficult decision to make at times, that decision is whether or not to pull the handle. Speaking for myself I should have pulled the
    handle a few times, yet I was too concerned about the person flying the glider, MY BAD also. Remember rule #5, "Don't Piss Off The Tow Pilot". Old Bob, The Purist
    All tow pilots should be involved in the instructions to a student regarding release. I launched a lot of gliders, chased rope and hooked them up when I was taking lessons. I listened to the preflights between instructor and student and you would
    hear “if we lose sight of the tow plane, we release.” THIS was lacking in my opinion. A student should be told WHY to release, “BECAUSE OTHERWISE YOU MIGHT KILL THE TOW PILOT. “

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    I have been towing a lot of new glider pilots lately, our club seems to be the talk of aviation on the Treasure Coast, which is great for the sport. On every solo flight I have made clear that there is to be a very precise expectation, before takeoff I
    make radio contact and describe what my departure plan is and I also ask the student to confirm that the spoilers and canopy are closed and locked. When there is no reply I simply pull the release and exit the towplane . Old Bob, The Purist

In my USAF days I studied Taekwondo and Judo. I also boxed and wrestled in the base gyms which held classes in almost everything, I was a gym rat, there almost every day. Anyone who has even remotely dabbled in the martial arts will realize that
    REPETITION is how things are accomplished, muscle memory requires movements to be done time and time again, slowly at first and then more rapidly as muscle memory kicks in. I studied Krav Maga for a year until I hurt my back, a 71 year old wresting a 21
    year old, I won the battle, lost the war. Always go to a sports medicine doctor if you have a sports injury. KG is great exercise and if you need to kick someone in the teeth...

Flying also requires muscle memory, actions must be so ingrained that they are accomplished instantaneously, reacting to the situation immediately. Again, TELLING someone what to do is not the same as teaching, teaching requires emphasis and repetition.
    If all the instructor is doing is TELLING, he is not teaching. By the time a student solos, many actions must be committed to an instinctive memory if things are going to be done safely. It is truly amazing how infrequently accidents happen but when
    they the results can be catastrophic.

If a student can't reply to a radio command immediately and appropriately, should they be going solo?

JMHO

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Mon Jun 20 19:11:01 2022
    On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 7:06:35 AM UTC-6, waltco...@aol.com wrote:
    Not necessarily.

Dan
    5J
    Two Doctors in a Bonanza
    R
    I can tell you two check airman in an airliner are a terrible safety hazard. I forget which branch of the military actually barred two check pilots from flying together due to the incredible higher risk rate. It's an interesting conundrum
    for sure. I'm glad I'm not the one scaring you. I heard about these two situations around the water cooler and frankly I'm not impressed.
    Having done over one thousand tows in 12 months is not bad for a tow pilot, and of that thousand I can honestly say that only five or less have been beyond what anyone should accept. one was a spoiler full deployment just after takeoff from a
    guy that took over 200 tows to solo, the other was from a girl that panicked on her solo and one with two with instructors in the glider. The incident that you heard about was a near disaster, and also had an instructor and student flying the glider, I
    was not very comfortable looking at the ground at near vertical at 100 feet really gets your attention. Some people need to take up fishing, but there again they would probably hook someone. Old Bob, The Purist
    I averaged about 2700 tows a year for the two years and 8 months of my tenure at SLGP, that was working part time. The first severe kiting event was with a commercial add on student on a pattern tow, happened about 700 feet on the upwind. I had
    to duck down to look in the mirror with my hand on the release, all I could see was the underbelly of the glider. When he finally got the idea he descended rapidly and out to the side causing my plane to yaw 45 degrees and creating the most unusual
    harmonic sound. We had a nice chat at the end of his flight. He said he thought I was going to "fly up to him" indicating that he didn't understand the "release" when you lose sight of the tow plane admonition. He fully understood at the end of our
    conversation.

I had two open spoiler situations, one right after the other from two guys who came down to fly together. Number one didn't respond to the signal to check spoilers, we were climbing but not well. He finally got the idea as I was about to dump
    him. His buddy right after him had the same problem and someone on the ground, KZ as I recall came on the radio and told him to check spoilers.

Towing a certain group of foreign students was always thrilling, especially in box the wake and slack rope recovery but the cake was taken by a student whom the most experienced instructor on the field said "should not be flying." The lights
    are on but nobody's home. I had over 1000 hours flying in circles in northern Laos, close enough to see the s--t show over Hanoi on December 18th, 1972 and while we had a few wild rides it was she, not a Mig or SAM that came the closest to killing me.

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    Walt, you have made the best point about voicing concerns! I have been very vocal about expressing my concerns, actually I use the term ,"Chew Ass", when someone tries to kill me and themselves, yet they are clueless about themselves. Every tow
    pilot out there should be making it very clear to each glider pilot as to what is expected. Tow pilots have a very difficult decision to make at times, that decision is whether or not to pull the handle. Speaking for myself I should have pulled the
    handle a few times, yet I was too concerned about the person flying the glider, MY BAD also. Remember rule #5, "Don't Piss Off The Tow Pilot". Old Bob, The Purist
    All tow pilots should be involved in the instructions to a student regarding release. I launched a lot of gliders, chased rope and hooked them up when I was taking lessons. I listened to the preflights between instructor and student and you would
    hear “if we lose sight of the tow plane, we release.” THIS was lacking in my opinion. A student should be told WHY to release, “BECAUSE OTHERWISE YOU MIGHT KILL THE TOW PILOT. “

After my last severe kiting incident I continued to tow for a few weeks before my “dismissal.’’ I would ask students, “what’s the most important thing you can do on tow.” Of course the answer should have been “to keep my eyes on the
    tow plane and release if I lost sight.” NO ONE gave me this answer in any way shape or form. In my opinion the information is just not sinking in. There is a difference between telling someone what to do and TEACHING someone what to do. IF it had been

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    I have been towing a lot of new glider pilots lately, our club seems to be the talk of aviation on the Treasure Coast, which is great for the sport. On every solo flight I have made clear that there is to be a very precise expectation, before takeoff
    I make radio contact and describe what my departure plan is and I also ask the student to confirm that the spoilers and canopy are closed and locked. When there is no reply I simply pull the release and exit the towplane . Old Bob, The Purist
    In my USAF days I studied Taekwondo and Judo. I also boxed and wrestled in the base gyms which held classes in almost everything, I was a gym rat, there almost every day. Anyone who has even remotely dabbled in the martial arts will realize that
    REPETITION is how things are accomplished, muscle memory requires movements to be done time and time again, slowly at first and then more rapidly as muscle memory kicks in. I studied Krav Maga for a year until I hurt my back, a 71 year old wresting a 21
    year old, I won the battle, lost the war. Always go to a sports medicine doctor if you have a sports injury. KG is great exercise and if you need to kick someone in the teeth...

Flying also requires muscle memory, actions must be so ingrained that they are accomplished instantaneously, reacting to the situation immediately. Again, TELLING someone what to do is not the same as teaching, teaching requires emphasis and repetition.
    If all the instructor is doing is TELLING, he is not teaching. By the time a student solos, many actions must be committed to an instinctive memory if things are going to be done safely. It is truly amazing how infrequently accidents happen but when
    they the results can be catastrophic.

If a student can't reply to a radio command immediately and appropriately, should they be going solo?

JMHO
    Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    Let me add something I have voiced before in other venues...I have been shocked by instructors at multiple venues around the USA briefing aerotow students to look around for traffic & geographic orientation during the tow - death on a string! I tell -
    and was taught - students to never take their eyes off the towplane. If there's any concern about orientation, brief the tug path before hookup.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to sgs...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 21 04:21:37 2022
    On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 10:11:04 PM UTC-4, sgs...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 7:06:35 AM UTC-6, waltco...@aol.com wrote:
    Not necessarily.

Dan
    5J
    Two Doctors in a Bonanza
    R
    I can tell you two check airman in an airliner are a terrible safety hazard. I forget which branch of the military actually barred two check pilots from flying together due to the incredible higher risk rate. It's an interesting conundrum
    for sure. I'm glad I'm not the one scaring you. I heard about these two situations around the water cooler and frankly I'm not impressed.
    Having done over one thousand tows in 12 months is not bad for a tow pilot, and of that thousand I can honestly say that only five or less have been beyond what anyone should accept. one was a spoiler full deployment just after takeoff from
    a guy that took over 200 tows to solo, the other was from a girl that panicked on her solo and one with two with instructors in the glider. The incident that you heard about was a near disaster, and also had an instructor and student flying the glider, I
    I averaged about 2700 tows a year for the two years and 8 months of my tenure at SLGP, that was working part time. The first severe kiting event was with a commercial add on student on a pattern tow, happened about 700 feet on the upwind. I
    had to duck down to look in the mirror with my hand on the release, all I could see was the underbelly of the glider. When he finally got the idea he descended rapidly and out to the side causing my plane to yaw 45 degrees and creating the most unusual
    conversation.

I had two open spoiler situations, one right after the other from two guys who came down to fly together. Number one didn't respond to the signal to check spoilers, we were climbing but not well. He finally got the idea as I was about to dump
    him. His buddy right after him had the same problem and someone on the ground, KZ as I recall came on the radio and told him to check spoilers.

Towing a certain group of foreign students was always thrilling, especially in box the wake and slack rope recovery but the cake was taken by a student whom the most experienced instructor on the field said "should not be flying." The lights
    are on but nobody's home. I had over 1000 hours flying in circles in northern Laos, close enough to see the s--t show over Hanoi on December 18th, 1972 and while we had a few wild rides it was she, not a Mig or SAM that came the closest to killing me.

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot

After my last severe kiting incident I continued to tow for a few weeks before my “dismissal.’’ I would ask students, “what’s the most important thing you can do on tow.” Of course the answer should have been “to keep my eyes on the
    tow plane and release if I lost sight.” NO ONE gave me this answer in any way shape or form. In my opinion the information is just not sinking in. There is a difference between telling someone what to do and TEACHING someone what to do. IF it had been

I fully understand what you mean when you said "Tow pilots have a very difficult decision to make at times, that decision is whether or not to pull the handle." I had a 15 year old girl on the end of the string and should have pulled the handle
    the first time she violently jerked my tail to the right. She was out of sight on my right, not to the left and in the mirror where she was supposed to be. Had I done so and had she not made it back to the runway, who knows what might have happened?
    Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    I have been towing a lot of new glider pilots lately, our club seems to be the talk of aviation on the Treasure Coast, which is great for the sport. On every solo flight I have made clear that there is to be a very precise expectation, before
    takeoff I make radio contact and describe what my departure plan is and I also ask the student to confirm that the spoilers and canopy are closed and locked. When there is no reply I simply pull the release and exit the towplane . Old Bob, The Purist

Flying also requires muscle memory, actions must be so ingrained that they are accomplished instantaneously, reacting to the situation immediately. Again, TELLING someone what to do is not the same as teaching, teaching requires emphasis and
    repetition. If all the instructor is doing is TELLING, he is not teaching. By the time a student solos, many actions must be committed to an instinctive memory if things are going to be done safely. It is truly amazing how infrequently accidents happen
    but when they the results can be catastrophic.

JMHO
    Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    Let me add something I have voiced before in other venues...I have been shocked by instructors at multiple venues around the USA briefing aerotow students to look around for traffic & geographic orientation during the tow - death on a string! I tell -
    and was taught - students to never take their eyes off the towplane. If there's any concern about orientation, brief the tug path before hookup.
    Excellent points, my late friend and instructor, Scotty, would pull the red corvette trick on students and flight reviews. As the towplane gained altitude Scotty would say something like look at that red corvette, you would be surprised how many times
    the pilot would actually look away from the towplane to see the red corvette that did not exist. When I tow solo students for their flights I always brief the student as to my flight path and procedure, it is a good idea. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 21 09:37:05 2022
    Responding to the two posts below:

A student should be taught to maintain position while on tow AND
    maintain a traffic watch AND be aware of his location at all times.

I'm reminded of such things as a traffic merge that the tow pilot didn't
    see which resulted in his death and the deaths of the people of the
    plane that collided with the tow rope. The glider released and returned
    to the departure airport.

Flying formation in the Air Force it was part of the wingman's (think
    towed aircraft) duties to watch out for traffic. The only time I did
    not take my eyes off of the lead aircraft was when we were flying in the weather.

Teach students to be pilots, not operators.

Dan
    5J

Let me add something I have voiced before in other venues...I have
    been shocked by instructors at multiple venues around the USA briefing
    aerotow students to look around for traffic & geographic orientation
    during the tow - death on a string! I tell - and was taught - students
    to never take their eyes off the towplane. If there's any concern about orientation, brief the tug path before hookup.

Excellent points, my late friend and instructor, Scotty, would pull the red corvette trick on students and flight reviews. As the towplane gained altitude Scotty would say something like look at that red corvette, you would be surprised how many times
    the pilot would actually look away from the towplane to see the red corvette that did not exist. When I tow solo students for their flights I always brief the student as to my flight path and procedure, it is a good idea. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Behm@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Tue Jun 21 12:59:19 2022
    On Tuesday, June 21, 2022 at 8:37:09 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:

I'm reminded of such things as a traffic merge that the tow pilot didn't
    see which resulted in his death and the deaths of the people of the

Flying formation in the Air Force it was part of the wingman's (think
    towed aircraft) duties to watch out for traffic. The only time I did
    not take my eyes off of the lead aircraft was when we were flying in the weather.

Dan
    5J
    been shocked by instructors at multiple venues around the USA briefing aerotow students to look around for traffic & geographic orientation
    during the tow - death on a string! I tell - and was taught - students
    to never take their eyes off the towplane. If there's any concern about orientation, brief the tug path before hookup.

Excellent points, my late friend and instructor, Scotty, would pull the red corvette trick on students and flight reviews. As the towplane gained altitude Scotty would say something like look at that red corvette, you would be surprised how many
    times the pilot would actually look away from the towplane to see the red corvette that did not exist. When I tow solo students for their flights I always brief the student as to my flight path and procedure, it is a good idea. Old Bob, The Purist

I also have been scolded by my CFI-Gs for looking to the sides while on tow. But, to me it seems sensible to do so, especially before the tow pilot is making a turn. Where I fly, there are some folks in GA that just buzz right on through the combined
    glider port operations and skydive drop zone.... Should the tow pilot miss some traffic, what then? That could be catastrophic for sure. I would never do it if I was slightly out of position though. First things first!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Chris Behm on Tue Jun 21 13:38:50 2022
    On Tuesday, June 21, 2022 at 3:59:22 PM UTC-4, Chris Behm wrote:
    On Tuesday, June 21, 2022 at 8:37:09 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:

I'm reminded of such things as a traffic merge that the tow pilot didn't see which resulted in his death and the deaths of the people of the

Flying formation in the Air Force it was part of the wingman's (think towed aircraft) duties to watch out for traffic. The only time I did

Dan
    5J
    been shocked by instructors at multiple venues around the USA briefing aerotow students to look around for traffic & geographic orientation during the tow - death on a string! I tell - and was taught - students

Excellent points, my late friend and instructor, Scotty, would pull the red corvette trick on students and flight reviews. As the towplane gained altitude Scotty would say something like look at that red corvette, you would be surprised how many
    times the pilot would actually look away from the towplane to see the red corvette that did not exist. When I tow solo students for their flights I always brief the student as to my flight path and procedure, it is a good idea. Old Bob, The Purist
    I also have been scolded by my CFI-Gs for looking to the sides while on tow. But, to me it seems sensible to do so, especially before the tow pilot is making a turn. Where I fly, there are some folks in GA that just buzz right on through the combined
    glider port operations and skydive drop zone.... Should the tow pilot miss some traffic, what then? That could be catastrophic for sure. I would never do it if I was slightly out of position though. First things first!
    Chris, never take your eyes off that towplane, don't worry about anything except flying the glider!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bluejet941@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 11 09:26:29 2022
    Overheard in the TCSC hangar about two weeks ago after the recently refurbished 2-33 had done a few flights:

OBTP to CFIG - "What airspeed were you showing on the tow?"

CFIG- "I didn't make note of it, sorry."

OBTP to New Student - "Did you see what the airspeed was showing on tow?

New Student - "Um...not really...I was only looking at the towplane the whole time."

OBTP - [paused] "Well, that wasn't meant to be a trick question, but that's a great answer!"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Fadden@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 11 12:00:03 2022
    After a flight with a very well known instructor in the back seat, I was slightly admonished for closing the vent window scoop while on tow. (I think I was below 200" AGL) "Focus on the tow plane". Another instructor (former F 14 guy) told me I wasn't
    looking around enough while on tow. I don't think I ever look at ASI on tow unless something doesn't feel right.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to mdfa...@gmail.com on Mon Jul 11 12:39:38 2022
    On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 3:00:08 PM UTC-4, mdfa...@gmail.com wrote:
    After a flight with a very well known instructor in the back seat, I was slightly admonished for closing the vent window scoop while on tow. (I think I was below 200" AGL) "Focus on the tow plane". Another instructor (former F 14 guy) told me I wasn't
    looking around enough while on tow. I don't think I ever look at ASI on tow unless something doesn't feel right.

Mike

Once my students are doing tow well I ask that they take a glance around periodically for safety. More than once the glider pilot has identified a serious conflict that the tug pilot did not see. Note I said glance and not stare. There is no reason a
    quick scan should create a problem.
    Early in the tow we also need situational awareness to implement our emergency response plan.
    That said, until well above the ground, the first and foremost priority is perfect tow position.
    Save the fixin' shit in the cockpit till off tow.
    I also discourage video cameras due to the distraction factor.
    Cheerful (?) instructor
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Hank Nixon on Tue Jul 12 04:45:20 2022
    On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 3:39:39 PM UTC-4, Hank Nixon wrote:
    After a flight with a very well known instructor in the back seat, I was slightly admonished for closing the vent window scoop while on tow. (I think I was below 200" AGL) "Focus on the tow plane". Another instructor (former F 14 guy) told me I wasn'
    t looking around enough while on tow. I don't think I ever look at ASI on tow unless something doesn't feel right.

Mike
    Once my students are doing tow well I ask that they take a glance around periodically for safety. More than once the glider pilot has identified a serious conflict that the tug pilot did not see. Note I said glance and not stare. There is no reason a
    Early in the tow we also need situational awareness to implement our emergency response plan.
    That said, until well above the ground, the first and foremost priority is perfect tow position.
    Cheerful (?) instructor
    UH
    I agree with many points made in this thread, perfect tow position should be number one, especially in the initial part of training until the tow has been mastered, then things like slack and boxing the wake can be taught. Recently a student made his
    first near perfect tow behind the Pawnee, after landing the instructor wanted to have him do a simulated rope break, I asked the instructor why? having the student demonstrate that he has a understanding of a great tow position at that point is much
    better than changing the syllabus, demonstrate perfection then move on to something else.
    As a tow pilot I ask a couple of questions to the glider pilot, one is confirm that the canopy is locked and the second confirm that your spoilers are closed and locked. Never can be too safe and cautious! Now about GoPro's and other video gadgets, I
    really dislike the pilot or student using them, attach to the outside of the craft and I have no problem, but inside of the cockpit especially from the students seating position and you will be asked to remove it. I would love to see all instructors
    discourage the use of video taping on training flights! What .students should realize is that the tow pilot is at greater risk than the glider pilot is, be concerned for his safety as well.
    Just yesterday I was looking at a picture out of Scotland where an instructor and student pretty much destroyed a ASK21 by landing short, WHY??? Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Tue Jul 12 06:39:13 2022
    On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 7:45:22 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    After a flight with a very well known instructor in the back seat, I was slightly admonished for closing the vent window scoop while on tow. (I think I was below 200" AGL) "Focus on the tow plane". Another instructor (former F 14 guy) told me I
    wasn't looking around enough while on tow. I don't think I ever look at ASI on tow unless something doesn't feel right.

Mike
    Cheerful (?) instructor
    UH
    I agree with many points made in this thread, perfect tow position should be number one, especially in the initial part of training until the tow has been mastered, then things like slack and boxing the wake can be taught. Recently a student made his
    first near perfect tow behind the Pawnee, after landing the instructor wanted to have him do a simulated rope break, I asked the instructor why? having the student demonstrate that he has a understanding of a great tow position at that point is much
    better than changing the syllabus, demonstrate perfection then move on to something else.
    As a tow pilot I ask a couple of questions to the glider pilot, one is confirm that the canopy is locked and the second confirm that your spoilers are closed and locked. Never can be too safe and cautious! Now about GoPro's and other video gadgets, I
    really dislike the pilot or student using them, attach to the outside of the craft and I have no problem, but inside of the cockpit especially from the students seating position and you will be asked to remove it. I would love to see all instructors
    discourage the use of video taping on training flights! What .students should realize is that the tow pilot is at greater risk than the glider pilot is, be concerned for his safety as well.
    Just yesterday I was looking at a picture out of Scotland where an instructor and student pretty much destroyed a ASK21 by landing short, WHY??? Old Bob, The Purist

As a tow pilot I was very hesitant to question an instructor not being an instructor myself. As I came to realize many important lessons were either not being taught or were not sinking into the head of the student I stepped aside from that hesitancy.
    After a couple of severe kiting incidents without the glider pilot reacting properly I began to ask questions of the students. A real eye opener.

I agree 100 percent with respect to the video cameras in the cockpit although I used them on occasion, they were properly attached and started before I took off. As a tow pilot I had no problem with an experienced pilot using them but subsequently we
    have seen incidents where instructors were distracted by them, Front Royal being an example.

I would add that students should not be allowed to fly with their cell phones, they can leave them in the car car or with their instructor on the ground. I suspect one incident that happened to me might have been the result of someone trying to get
    some video of their solo. She flew poorly on her first two solos but wasn't even in the mirror on the last one, the one that almost killed me.

Walt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Moshe Braner@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Tue Jul 12 10:24:24 2022
    On 7/12/2022 9:39 AM, waltco...@aol.com wrote:

I would add that students should not be allowed to fly with their cell phones, they can leave them in the car car or with their instructor on the ground. I suspect one incident that happened to me might have been the result of someone trying to get
    some video of their solo. She flew poorly on her first two solos but wasn't even in the mirror on the last one, the one that almost killed me.

Walt

Trying to pry the cellphone out of my students' cold dead hands is
    really hard, the younger ones especially. And besides the distraction
    it's also a loose item in the cockpit. We should be thankful a few
    young people at least are willing to try and learn to fly, rather than
    just watch others fly in online videos.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to Moshe Braner on Tue Jul 12 08:37:04 2022
    On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 10:24:21 AM UTC-4, Moshe Braner wrote:

Walt

really hard, the younger ones especially. And besides the distraction
    it's also a loose item in the cockpit. We should be thankful a few

Not hard at all.
    The rule is no phone on in the cockpit. You can live without your phone while you fly.
    We also say no phone when doing line duty.
    Distractions kill.
    Non negotiable
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to bluej...@gmail.com on Tue Jul 12 11:49:01 2022
    On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 12:26:31 PM UTC-4, bluej...@gmail.com wrote:
    Overheard in the TCSC hangar about two weeks ago after the recently refurbished 2-33 had done a few flights:

OBTP to CFIG - "What airspeed were you showing on the tow?"

CFIG- "I didn't make note of it, sorry."

OBTP to New Student - "Did you see what the airspeed was showing on tow?

New Student - "Um...not really...I was only looking at the towplane the whole time."

OBTP - [paused] "Well, that wasn't meant to be a trick question, but that's a great answer!"

Whether due to wiffle ball, slipstream, the vector of the towline being different than the pitot, or just calibration errors, your airspeed indication on tow is generally worthless - hence "red tug, add 5 knots" vs. a specific number...and if no radio
    you know your signals, yes?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Tue Jul 12 13:02:20 2022
    On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 9:39:15 AM UTC-4, waltco...@aol.com wrote:
    After a flight with a very well known instructor in the back seat, I was slightly admonished for closing the vent window scoop while on tow. (I think I was below 200" AGL) "Focus on the tow plane". Another instructor (former F 14 guy) told me I
    wasn't looking around enough while on tow. I don't think I ever look at ASI on tow unless something doesn't feel right.

Mike
    Once my students are doing tow well I ask that they take a glance around periodically for safety. More than once the glider pilot has identified a serious conflict that the tug pilot did not see. Note I said glance and not stare. There is no reason
    a quick scan should create a problem.
    Cheerful (?) instructor
    UH
    As a tow pilot I was very hesitant to question an instructor not being an instructor myself. As I came to realize many important lessons were either not being taught or were not sinking into the head of the student I stepped aside from that hesitancy.
    After a couple of severe kiting incidents without the glider pilot reacting properly I began to ask questions of the students. A real eye opener.

I agree 100 percent with respect to the video cameras in the cockpit although I used them on occasion, they were properly attached and started before I took off. As a tow pilot I had no problem with an experienced pilot using them but subsequently we
    have seen incidents where instructors were distracted by them, Front Royal being an example.

Walt
    Walt being an instructor means very little to me, as I am not one and never wanted to be. Some of the instructors that I have seen and heard give advice given from need to take up another activity. Experience is the key ingredient in any teachable
    situation, not some punched ticket gained after 15 hours! I have become much more proactive toward giving good information about towing and flying gliders than I was in the past. I recently saw a guy buy a nice fiberglass ship and get a cockpit check
    from and instructor that had never flown fiberglass, I was somewhat at a silenced point when none of the good information was relayed to the buyer, yet that is what the insurance required.
    As far as airspeed goes , it is very important in many situations, those whom have towed behind me will tell you that I always confirm their request for a certain speed and if they are super heavy I inform them that I will be towing them at a speed that
    I think is better for the two of us.
    To further the discussion about video and cell phones, I am definitely in agreement with the mild mannered UH, keep those things away from the cockpit! Next thing on the thread is the wing runner or lack of one. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Tue Jul 12 21:07:06 2022
    On Tue, 12 Jul 2022 13:02:20 -0700 (PDT), youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:

Next thing on the thread is the wing runner or lack of one. Old
    Bob, The Purist

That's surely MANDATORY on a grass field and for a winch launch, though I
    was pleasantly surprised to find that not having a runner was no problem
    at Williams with its nicely maintained smooth runway and near constant Northerly straight down it.

--

Martin | martin at

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Martin Gregorie on Tue Jul 12 15:00:07 2022
    On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 5:07:11 PM UTC-4, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    On Tue, 12 Jul 2022 13:02:20 -0700 (PDT), youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:

Next thing on the thread is the wing runner or lack of one. Old
    Bob, The Purist

That's surely MANDATORY on a grass field and for a winch launch, though I was pleasantly surprised to find that not having a runner was no problem
    at Williams with its nicely maintained smooth runway and near constant Northerly straight down it.
    --

Martin | martin at
    I did auto tow back in the day, when it was a rating not an endorsement, guess I am giving my age away. Now about Williams, those are very nice people, my wife and I have visited there and my wife flew there, what a nice group of people. They do not get
    any better than Rex and Noel, tell them Aunt Cathy send her best, we will be back soon. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Moshe Braner on Tue Jul 12 16:14:59 2022
    No need to pry the phone away. Simply state that the takeoff will not
    commence until the phone is out of the student's reach. And stand by
    that statement.

Dan
    5J

On 7/12/22 08:24, Moshe Braner wrote:

I would add that students should not be allowed to fly with their cell
    phones, they can leave them in the car car or with their instructor on
    the ground.   I suspect one incident that happened to me might have
    been the result of someone trying to get some video of their solo.
    She flew poorly on her first two solos but wasn't even in the mirror
    on the last one, the one that almost killed me.

Walt

really hard, the younger ones especially.  And besides the distraction
    it's also a loose item in the cockpit.  We should be thankful a few

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Wed Jul 13 07:51:47 2022
    On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 4:02:22 PM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:

Mike
    Once my students are doing tow well I ask that they take a glance around periodically for safety. More than once the glider pilot has identified a serious conflict that the tug pilot did not see. Note I said glance and not stare. There is no
    reason a quick scan should create a problem.
    I also discourage video cameras due to the distraction factor. Cheerful (?) instructor
    UH
    I agree with many points made in this thread, perfect tow position should be number one, especially in the initial part of training until the tow has been mastered, then things like slack and boxing the wake can be taught. Recently a student made
    his first near perfect tow behind the Pawnee, after landing the instructor wanted to have him do a simulated rope break, I asked the instructor why? having the student demonstrate that he has a understanding of a great tow position at that point is much
    As a tow pilot I ask a couple of questions to the glider pilot, one is confirm that the canopy is locked and the second confirm that your spoilers are closed and locked. Never can be too safe and cautious! Now about GoPro's and other video gadgets,
    I really dislike the pilot or student using them, attach to the outside of the craft and I have no problem, but inside of the cockpit especially from the students seating position and you will be asked to remove it. I would love to see all instructors

Walt
    Walt being an instructor means very little to me, as I am not one and never wanted to be. Some of the instructors that I have seen and heard give advice given from need to take up another activity. Experience is the key ingredient in any teachable
    situation, not some punched ticket gained after 15 hours! I have become much more proactive toward giving good information about towing and flying gliders than I was in the past. I recently saw a guy buy a nice fiberglass ship and get a cockpit check
    from and instructor that had never flown fiberglass, I was somewhat at a silenced point when none of the good information was relayed to the buyer, yet that is what the insurance required.
    As far as airspeed goes , it is very important in many situations, those whom have towed behind me will tell you that I always confirm their request for a certain speed and if they are super heavy I inform them that I will be towing them at a speed
    that I think is better for the two of us.
    To further the discussion about video and cell phones, I am definitely in agreement with the mild mannered UH, keep those things away from the cockpit! Next thing on the thread is the wing runner or lack of one. Old Bob, The Purist

I remember one of the more experienced glass ship pilots behind me on tow on the radio asking for 5 more knots, then shortly after in a near panicky voice asking for 10 more. I was full throttle and barely climbing at all and into the wind. Meant to
    talk to him at the end of the day but we did not connect. I did suspect the ASIs on those old Pawnees but it might have been off. A mechanic did pull the tube and found mud dobbers clogging it a bit. I did have one pilot release just after lift off and
    land on the overrun. Said I was too slow, his radio call got stepped on. I always leveled off a bit right after lift off and gain speed before I started to climb. Experienced pilots, thinkers, will radio the tow pilot and tell him what speed they want,
    some people think you read their minds. You get to know who you can trust and who you can't.

As for wing runners, when I was learning to fly gliders I spent a lot of time chasing rope, hooking up and running wings, I was like a free employee. They essentially relied on someone being around and able to do that job, not a dedicated line boy which
    should have been the norm.

I remember having to tow someone (Juliet Charlie) out of a small, narrow grass strip south of SLGP. No wing runner, relatively low time glider pilot. I started the tow twice and terminated it watching the glider turn and head for the fence beside the
    runway. Pilot could not get enough rudder authority quickly enough as the tow began. I figured out a way to position him at an angle so we would have time and distance to accomplish the tow. NOT a good thing to have to do but some times you have to
    make it up on the run. I flew the SGS134 many times without a wing runner but it had an outrigger wheel on the end of each wing which made it doable.

I'll stick with helicopters from now on.

Walt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From david.s.sherrill@gmail.com@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Wed Jul 13 08:12:14 2022
    On Wednesday, July 13, 2022 at 10:51:52 AM UTC-4, waltco...@aol.com wrote:
    After a flight with a very well known instructor in the back seat, I was slightly admonished for closing the vent window scoop while on tow. (I think I was below 200" AGL) "Focus on the tow plane". Another instructor (former F 14 guy) told me
    I wasn't looking around enough while on tow. I don't think I ever look at ASI on tow unless something doesn't feel right.

Mike
    Once my students are doing tow well I ask that they take a glance around periodically for safety. More than once the glider pilot has identified a serious conflict that the tug pilot did not see. Note I said glance and not stare. There is no
    I also discourage video cameras due to the distraction factor. Cheerful (?) instructor
    UH
    I agree with many points made in this thread, perfect tow position should be number one, especially in the initial part of training until the tow has been mastered, then things like slack and boxing the wake can be taught. Recently a student made
    his first near perfect tow behind the Pawnee, after landing the instructor wanted to have him do a simulated rope break, I asked the instructor why? having the student demonstrate that he has a understanding of a great tow position at that point is much
    As a tow pilot I ask a couple of questions to the glider pilot, one is confirm that the canopy is locked and the second confirm that your spoilers are closed and locked. Never can be too safe and cautious! Now about GoPro's and other video
    gadgets, I really dislike the pilot or student using them, attach to the outside of the craft and I have no problem, but inside of the cockpit especially from the students seating position and you will be asked to remove it. I would love to see all
    instructors discourage the use of video taping on training flights! What .students should realize is that the tow pilot is at greater risk than the glider pilot is, be concerned for his safety as well.
    As a tow pilot I was very hesitant to question an instructor not being an instructor myself. As I came to realize many important lessons were either not being taught or were not sinking into the head of the student I stepped aside from that
    hesitancy. After a couple of severe kiting incidents without the glider pilot reacting properly I began to ask questions of the students. A real eye opener.

I agree 100 percent with respect to the video cameras in the cockpit although I used them on occasion, they were properly attached and started before I took off. As a tow pilot I had no problem with an experienced pilot using them but subsequently
    we have seen incidents where instructors were distracted by them, Front Royal being an example.

Walt
    As far as airspeed goes , it is very important in many situations, those whom have towed behind me will tell you that I always confirm their request for a certain speed and if they are super heavy I inform them that I will be towing them at a speed
    I remember one of the more experienced glass ship pilots behind me on tow on the radio asking for 5 more knots, then shortly after in a near panicky voice asking for 10 more. I was full throttle and barely climbing at all and into the wind. Meant to
    talk to him at the end of the day but we did not connect. I did suspect the ASIs on those old Pawnees but it might have been off. A mechanic did pull the tube and found mud dobbers clogging it a bit. I did have one pilot release just after lift off and
    land on the overrun. Said I was too slow, his radio call got stepped on. I always leveled off a bit right after lift off and gain speed before I started to climb. Experienced pilots, thinkers, will radio the tow pilot and tell him what speed they want,
    some people think you read their minds. You get to know who you can trust and who you can't.

As for wing runners, when I was learning to fly gliders I spent a lot of time chasing rope, hooking up and running wings, I was like a free employee. They essentially relied on someone being around and able to do that job, not a dedicated line boy
    which should have been the norm.

I remember having to tow someone (Juliet Charlie) out of a small, narrow grass strip south of SLGP. No wing runner, relatively low time glider pilot. I started the tow twice and terminated it watching the glider turn and head for the fence beside the
    runway. Pilot could not get enough rudder authority quickly enough as the tow began. I figured out a way to position him at an angle so we would have time and distance to accomplish the tow. NOT a good thing to have to do but some times you have to make
    it up on the run. I flew the SGS134 many times without a wing runner but it had an outrigger wheel on the end of each wing which made it doable.

Walt

Actually, positioning the glider slightly away from the runway heading IS a good thing to do. Russell Holtz's "Flight Training Manual for Gliders", section 2.5 "Takeoff Without a Wing Runner" says "You might also want to point the glider's nose slightly
    "away" from the lowered wing, expecting that the drag from the lowered wing will straighten the glider out at the beginning of the takeoff roll."

Like your tow customer, I did not do this on my first aero-retrieve, and it did not go well. While a couple other mistakes contributed to my difficulties, I've used Holtz's suggestion ever since, with good results.

...david

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 13 09:00:50 2022
    On Wednesday, July 13, 2022 at 11:58:53 AM UTC-4, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
    On Wednesday, July 13, 2022 at 11:12:17 AM UTC-4, david.s....@gmail.com wrote:
    After a flight with a very well known instructor in the back seat, I was slightly admonished for closing the vent window scoop while on tow. (I think I was below 200" AGL) "Focus on the tow plane". Another instructor (former F 14 guy)
    told me I wasn't looking around enough while on tow. I don't think I ever look at ASI on tow unless something doesn't feel right.

Mike
    Once my students are doing tow well I ask that they take a glance around periodically for safety. More than once the glider pilot has identified a serious conflict that the tug pilot did not see. Note I said glance and not stare. There is
    no reason a quick scan should create a problem.
    UH
    I agree with many points made in this thread, perfect tow position should be number one, especially in the initial part of training until the tow has been mastered, then things like slack and boxing the wake can be taught. Recently a student
    made his first near perfect tow behind the Pawnee, after landing the instructor wanted to have him do a simulated rope break, I asked the instructor why? having the student demonstrate that he has a understanding of a great tow position at that point is
    much better than changing the syllabus, demonstrate perfection then move on to something else.
    As a tow pilot I ask a couple of questions to the glider pilot, one is confirm that the canopy is locked and the second confirm that your spoilers are closed and locked. Never can be too safe and cautious! Now about GoPro's and other video
    gadgets, I really dislike the pilot or student using them, attach to the outside of the craft and I have no problem, but inside of the cockpit especially from the students seating position and you will be asked to remove it. I would love to see all
    instructors discourage the use of video taping on training flights! What .students should realize is that the tow pilot is at greater risk than the glider pilot is, be concerned for his safety as well.
    As a tow pilot I was very hesitant to question an instructor not being an instructor myself. As I came to realize many important lessons were either not being taught or were not sinking into the head of the student I stepped aside from that
    hesitancy. After a couple of severe kiting incidents without the glider pilot reacting properly I began to ask questions of the students. A real eye opener.

I agree 100 percent with respect to the video cameras in the cockpit although I used them on occasion, they were properly attached and started before I took off. As a tow pilot I had no problem with an experienced pilot using them but
    subsequently we have seen incidents where instructors were distracted by them, Front Royal being an example.

I would add that students should not be allowed to fly with their cell phones, they can leave them in the car car or with their instructor on the ground. I suspect one incident that happened to me might have been the result of someone trying to
    get some video of their solo. She flew poorly on her first two solos but wasn't even in the mirror on the last one, the one that almost killed me.

Walt
    Walt being an instructor means very little to me, as I am not one and never wanted to be. Some of the instructors that I have seen and heard give advice given from need to take up another activity. Experience is the key ingredient in any
    teachable situation, not some punched ticket gained after 15 hours! I have become much more proactive toward giving good information about towing and flying gliders than I was in the past. I recently saw a guy buy a nice fiberglass ship and get a cockpit
    check from and instructor that had never flown fiberglass, I was somewhat at a silenced point when none of the good information was relayed to the buyer, yet that is what the insurance required.
    As far as airspeed goes , it is very important in many situations, those whom have towed behind me will tell you that I always confirm their request for a certain speed and if they are super heavy I inform them that I will be towing them at a
    speed that I think is better for the two of us.
    I remember one of the more experienced glass ship pilots behind me on tow on the radio asking for 5 more knots, then shortly after in a near panicky voice asking for 10 more. I was full throttle and barely climbing at all and into the wind. Meant
    to talk to him at the end of the day but we did not connect. I did suspect the ASIs on those old Pawnees but it might have been off. A mechanic did pull the tube and found mud dobbers clogging it a bit. I did have one pilot release just after lift off
    and land on the overrun. Said I was too slow, his radio call got stepped on. I always leveled off a bit right after lift off and gain speed before I started to climb. Experienced pilots, thinkers, will radio the tow pilot and tell him what speed they
    want, some people think you read their minds. You get to know who you can trust and who you can't.

As for wing runners, when I was learning to fly gliders I spent a lot of time chasing rope, hooking up and running wings, I was like a free employee. They essentially relied on someone being around and able to do that job, not a dedicated line boy

I remember having to tow someone (Juliet Charlie) out of a small, narrow grass strip south of SLGP. No wing runner, relatively low time glider pilot. I started the tow twice and terminated it watching the glider turn and head for the fence beside
    the runway. Pilot could not get enough rudder authority quickly enough as the tow began. I figured out a way to position him at an angle so we would have time and distance to accomplish the tow. NOT a good thing to have to do but some times you have to
    make it up on the run. I flew the SGS134 many times without a wing runner but it had an outrigger wheel on the end of each wing which made it doable.

Walt
    Actually, positioning the glider slightly away from the runway heading IS a good thing to do. Russell Holtz's "Flight Training Manual for Gliders", section 2.5 "Takeoff Without a Wing Runner" says "You might also want to point the glider's nose
    slightly "away" from the lowered wing, expecting that the drag from the lowered wing will straighten the glider out at the beginning of the takeoff roll."

Like your tow customer, I did not do this on my first aero-retrieve, and it did not go well. While a couple other mistakes contributed to my difficulties, I've used Holtz's suggestion ever since, with good results.

...david
    Agreed. We have a nearby grass strip as an alternate.
    Land west (uphill), roll long and towards a corner.
    Push by hand into corner, nose about 45* to the grass runway.
    Call for air retrieve.
    When tow arrives, chat with towpilot. Rule is glider pilot hooks up, gets in and ready. When canopy closes, glider pilot is ready for a tow. Hold brakes.
    Tow pilot starts, takes up slack, rudder wag, glider does as well.
    If something wrong, pull and hold release while opening canopy. Reset and try again.
    This works for ships with tip skids as well as tip wheels.
    The low tip dragging starts to rotate the nose down the runway about when you gain airflow for normal flight control.
    Tow out is downhill.
    Hank and I have done this a few times as a nonevent.
    And yes, I was a CFIG.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to waltco...@aol.com on Wed Jul 13 10:09:13 2022
    Now that we're telling tow stories - I was towing a Blanik L-13 from
    Creede, CO towards home at Black Forest. I needed fuel so I waved him
    off above Salida, CO and landed. He landed behind me and cleared to the
    ramp.

After gassing up, we looked for a wing runner and there was nobody there
    but the airport manager. So I towed the glider to the west end using
    the Pawnee. We staged the glider and tug and I helped the glider pilot
    strap in and went to the tug.

When I looked back at the glider, he'd rotated 90 degrees to the north
    due to the high cross wind and castering tail wheel. I shut down on the
    runway and walked back to straighten the glider out and returned to the
    tug with the same results.

I returned to the glider again, straightened him out, and wedged a small
    rock under the tail wheel so that the glider wouldn't weather vane
    again. After that the takeoff was normal and we got home.

Dan
    5J

On 7/13/22 08:51, waltco...@aol.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, July 12, 2022 at 7:45:22 AM UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote: >>>> On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 3:39:39 PM UTC-4, Hank Nixon wrote:
    On Monday, July 11, 2022 at 3:00:08 PM UTC-4, mdfa...@gmail.com wrote: >>>>>> After a flight with a very well known instructor in the back seat, I was slightly admonished for closing the vent window scoop while on tow. (I think I was below 200" AGL) "Focus on the tow plane". Another instructor (former F 14 guy) told me I

Mike
    Once my students are doing tow well I ask that they take a glance around periodically for safety. More than once the glider pilot has identified a serious conflict that the tug pilot did not see. Note I said glance and not stare. There is no reason
    a quick scan should create a problem.
    Cheerful (?) instructor
    UH
    As a tow pilot I ask a couple of questions to the glider pilot, one is confirm that the canopy is locked and the second confirm that your spoilers are closed and locked. Never can be too safe and cautious! Now about GoPro's and other video gadgets,
    I really dislike the pilot or student using them, attach to the outside of the craft and I have no problem, but inside of the cockpit especially from the students seating position and you will be asked to remove it. I would love to see all instructors

Walt

runway. Pilot could not get enough rudder authority quickly enough as the tow began. I figured out a way to position him at an angle so we would have time and distance to accomplish the tow. NOT a good thing to have to do but some times you have to

Walt

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)@21:1/5 to david.s....@gmail.com on Wed Jul 13 08:58:51 2022
    On Wednesday, July 13, 2022 at 11:12:17 AM UTC-4, david.s....@gmail.com wrote:
    After a flight with a very well known instructor in the back seat, I was slightly admonished for closing the vent window scoop while on tow. (I think I was below 200" AGL) "Focus on the tow plane". Another instructor (former F 14 guy) told
    me I wasn't looking around enough while on tow. I don't think I ever look at ASI on tow unless something doesn't feel right.

Mike
    UH
    I agree with many points made in this thread, perfect tow position should be number one, especially in the initial part of training until the tow has been mastered, then things like slack and boxing the wake can be taught. Recently a student
    made his first near perfect tow behind the Pawnee, after landing the instructor wanted to have him do a simulated rope break, I asked the instructor why? having the student demonstrate that he has a understanding of a great tow position at that point is
    much better than changing the syllabus, demonstrate perfection then move on to something else.

I agree 100 percent with respect to the video cameras in the cockpit although I used them on occasion, they were properly attached and started before I took off. As a tow pilot I had no problem with an experienced pilot using them but
    subsequently we have seen incidents where instructors were distracted by them, Front Royal being an example.

I would add that students should not be allowed to fly with their cell phones, they can leave them in the car car or with their instructor on the ground. I suspect one incident that happened to me might have been the result of someone trying to
    get some video of their solo. She flew poorly on her first two solos but wasn't even in the mirror on the last one, the one that almost killed me.

Walt

runway. Pilot could not get enough rudder authority quickly enough as the tow began. I figured out a way to position him at an angle so we would have time and distance to accomplish the tow. NOT a good thing to have to do but some times you have to make
    it up on the run. I flew the SGS134 many times without a wing runner but it had an outrigger wheel on the end of each wing which made it doable.

Walt
    Actually, positioning the glider slightly away from the runway heading IS a good thing to do. Russell Holtz's "Flight Training Manual for Gliders", section 2.5 "Takeoff Without a Wing Runner" says "You might also want to point the glider's nose
    slightly "away" from the lowered wing, expecting that the drag from the lowered wing will straighten the glider out at the beginning of the takeoff roll."

...david
    Agreed. We have a nearby grass strip as an alternate.
    Land west (uphill), roll long and towards a corner.
    Push by hand into corner, nose about 45* to the grass runway.
    Call for air retrieve.
    When tow arrives, chat with towpilot. Rule is glider pilot hooks up, gets in and ready. When canopy closes, glider pilot is ready for a tow. Hold brakes.
    Tow pilot starts, takes up slack, rudder wag, glider does as well.
    If something wrong, pull and hold release while opening canopy. Reset and try again.
    This works for ships with tip skids as well as tip wheels.
    The low tip dragging starts to rotate the nose down the runway about when you gain airflow for normal flight control.
    Tow out is downhill.
    Hank and I have done this a few times as a nonevent.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05