• WeGlide | Satellite Image for all flights from United States

From Moritz Althaus@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 5 11:59:33 2022
    https://www.weglide.org/flight/162217

There is now the option to see historic satellite images for all flights from the United States on WeGlide. These are provided by SkySight and the resolution is stunning. If you have questions or suggestions don't hesitate to write us directly.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Bret Hess@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 6 11:37:26 2022
    That is very cool to see the cloud cover during the day. Is SkySight maintaining a database of these images or do they get them from a public database? How long will they be stored?

Of course now we would love to see wind barbs superposed :)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Moritz Althaus@21:1/5 to bret...@gmail.com on Mon Jun 6 12:53:39 2022
    bret...@gmail.com schrieb am Montag, 6. Juni 2022 um 20:37:28 UTC+2:
    That is very cool to see the cloud cover during the day. Is SkySight maintaining a database of these images or do they get them from a public database? How long will they be stored?

This is a private database, images will be stored for multiple seasons, possibly even much longer for areas with many flights. We do calculate and show the wind for all intervals of your flight already and will add more analysis layers soon. On this page
    some of the more detailed analysis features are explained in detail: https://docs.weglide.org/premium/flight_phase_analysis.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ramy@21:1/5 to Moritz Althaus on Mon Jun 6 23:01:29 2022
    Cool feature which is also available in OLC since the beginning of this year. Just click on the little weather layer in the map.
    To those who missed the OLC article in the April Soaring Magazine, please check it out, there are many new OLC features since last season.

Ramy

On Monday, June 6, 2022 at 12:53:41 PM UTC-7, Moritz Althaus wrote:
    bret...@gmail.com schrieb am Montag, 6. Juni 2022 um 20:37:28 UTC+2:

This is a private database, images will be stored for multiple seasons, possibly even much longer for areas with many flights. We do calculate and show the wind for all intervals of your flight already and will add more analysis layers soon. On this
    page some of the more detailed analysis features are explained in detail: https://docs.weglide.org/premium/flight_phase_analysis.html

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matthew Scutter@21:1/5 to bret...@gmail.com on Tue Jun 7 04:13:58 2022
    On Tuesday, 7 June 2022 at 4:37:28 am UTC+10, bret...@gmail.com wrote:

At the moment we aim to keep them forever.

We generate them in-house from the raw data from NOAA, Japanese and European satellites, and are processing it very carefully to preserve the absolute maximum fidelity possible. If you find anywhere that has more detail from a real-time satellite, I want
    to know about it :)

You get the same picture via SkySight on your LX devices.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ramy@21:1/5 to Matthew Scutter on Tue Jun 7 18:22:01 2022
    Early in I tried to get a satellite picture on my LX9000 and was rarely successful. On the few occasions when I could see the satellite pic it was very hard to see the clouds. Perhaps I didn’t set things right. I guess part of the problem is that it
    requires real time cellular connection which we rarely get. If there are any tips to get the satellite picture to show up reliably and clearly on LX9000 I would like to know.

Ramy

On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 4:14:00 AM UTC-7, Matthew Scutter wrote:

We generate them in-house from the raw data from NOAA, Japanese and European satellites, and are processing it very carefully to preserve the absolute maximum fidelity possible. If you find anywhere that has more detail from a real-time satellite, I
    want to know about it :)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matthew Scutter@21:1/5 to Ramy on Tue Jun 7 20:59:11 2022
    The picture quality I send to LX for the LX9000 should be vastly improved in latency and detail since April.

I use it most flights in my glider, it does work. I use it mostly for planning whether AAT's are clear of high cloud, or have cumulus, and whether conditions are deteriorating towards home on long flights. I have reported a lot of bugs to LX and
    collectively we found a lot of bugs and made it more reliable, but I do still see issues sometimes with it not loading for which the reasons are not clear to me.

I am consistently told almost everywhere I go fly around the world, that there is no cell reception in flight here due to phone tower angles or transmission powers or frequencies - but almost always when I actually mount my phone well above the canopy
    rail and fly in that region, it works fine, well enough even to do occasional Facebook livestreams, even up to ~18kft.
    As we already know from our FLARM antennas, our modern cockpits are extraordinarily effective faraday cages, but this seems to get forgotten in the context of mobile phones.

I had the idea to install a portable 4G router with a proper external antenna on my glider, but unfortunately the firmware seemed to be configured to switch towers less aggressively and the inflight results were far inferior to an ordinary mobile phone.
    Maybe I was unlucky.

On Wednesday, 8 June 2022 at 11:22:03 am UTC+10, Ramy wrote:
    Early in I tried to get a satellite picture on my LX9000 and was rarely successful. On the few occasions when I could see the satellite pic it was very hard to see the clouds. Perhaps I didn’t set things right. I guess part of the problem is that it
    requires real time cellular connection which we rarely get. If there are any tips to get the satellite picture to show up reliably and clearly on LX9000 I would like to know.

Ramy
    On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 at 4:14:00 AM UTC-7, Matthew Scutter wrote:

We generate them in-house from the raw data from NOAA, Japanese and European satellites, and are processing it very carefully to preserve the absolute maximum fidelity possible. If you find anywhere that has more detail from a real-time satellite, I
    want to know about it :)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05