• Great flights Sunday May 29, 2022

From Ron Gleason@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 30 07:31:16 2022
    https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3.0/gliding/daily.html?st=olcp&rt=olc&df=&sp=2022&c=C6&sc=#

16 out of the top 18 flights posted on OLC for North America for 5/29/22 were flown in New England and SE Canada!

T8 had a great flight tagging the highest peaks in NH and ME. Many other triangles from central MA and southern NH.

Way to go guys and gals!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Ron Gleason on Mon May 30 15:02:13 2022
    On Monday, May 30, 2022 at 10:31:18 AM UTC-4, Ron Gleason wrote:
    https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3.0/gliding/daily.html?st=olcp&rt=olc&df=&sp=2022&c=C6&sc=#

16 out of the top 18 flights posted on OLC for North America for 5/29/22 were flown in New England and SE Canada!

T8 had a great flight tagging the highest peaks in NH and ME. Many other triangles from central MA and southern NH.

Way to go guys and gals!
    Well done! Evan the PURIST was at the top of the list. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tango Eight@21:1/5 to Ron Gleason on Wed Jun 1 11:20:53 2022

Way to go guys and gals!

Thanks Ron...

We think this is the first time Mt Katahdin (the terminus of the Appalachian Trail) has been visited by sailplanes.

The real story of the day though, isn't on olc, it's the astounding level of spontaneous, enthusiastic support Greg ("JR") and I got from our clubmates at Post Mills Soaring Club. The message was "GO! We have you covered". And they did. Late in the
    day when it became apparent that we weren't getting all the way home clever club decision making had our tow plane ready and waiting for us at Dean Airport, 18 miles from Post Mills, ready to whisk us home for a sunset arrival.

As far as the flight goes, we were as slow as we were persistent. Winds aloft were forecast to be high enough to matter East of Greenville and they were, shredding thermals and making the return difficult. If I ever go back to Mt Katahdin, which is as
    far out in the middle of nowhere as I've ever flown a glider, I'm going on a better day!!

T8

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ron Gleason@21:1/5 to tango...@gmail.com on Thu Jun 2 15:04:15 2022
    On Wednesday, 1 June 2022 at 12:20:55 UTC-6, tango...@gmail.com wrote:

Way to go guys and gals!
    Thanks Ron...

We think this is the first time Mt Katahdin (the terminus of the Appalachian Trail) has been visited by sailplanes.

The real story of the day though, isn't on olc, it's the astounding level of spontaneous, enthusiastic support Greg ("JR") and I got from our clubmates at Post Mills Soaring Club. The message was "GO! We have you covered". And they did. Late in the day
    when it became apparent that we weren't getting all the way home clever club decision making had our tow plane ready and waiting for us at Dean Airport, 18 miles from Post Mills, ready to whisk us home for a sunset arrival.

As far as the flight goes, we were as slow as we were persistent. Winds aloft were forecast to be high enough to matter East of Greenville and they were, shredding thermals and making the return difficult. If I ever go back to Mt Katahdin, which is as
    far out in the middle of nowhere as I've ever flown a glider, I'm going on a better day!!

T8
    The back stories are always great. The club members from Post Mills sound awesome.

I recall hiking Mt Katahdin, knifes edge trail, and thinking about the soaring for the area. I imagine flying over miles and miles and miles of forest can be intimidating.

Looking forward to seeing future attempts

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05