• Today is Friday the 13th and you know what that means...

From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 13 10:04:23 2022
    Tomorrow is Saturday the 14th.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Rakel@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 13 17:36:41 2022
    I had a near miss today.

Great soaring day today and when I decided to return to the airport, I called out to local traffic my call sign and intention to land on runway 09, clearly mentioning that I am flying a glider. As I crossed over the threshold at 300 feet, a blue and
    white Cessna flew under me by about 100 feet to land on runway 18. Someone, unknown to me, called on the radio, "Didn't you see that glider ?" Fortunately, I landed without further incident.

Say whatever you want about Friday the 13th. I am beginning to think that there might be something to this.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Rakel on Fri May 13 19:35:27 2022
    On Friday, May 13, 2022 at 5:36:43 PM UTC-7, Rakel wrote:
    I had a near miss today.

Great soaring day today and when I decided to return to the airport, I called out to local traffic my call sign and intention to land on runway 09, clearly mentioning that I am flying a glider. As I crossed over the threshold at 300 feet, a blue and
    white Cessna flew under me by about 100 feet to land on runway 18. Someone, unknown to me, called on the radio, "Didn't you see that glider ?" Fortunately, I landed without further incident.

Say whatever you want about Friday the 13th. I am beginning to think that there might be something to this.

You ought to report the incident to the FAA - they WILL investigate.

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 14 04:59:11 2022
    On Friday, May 13, 2022 at 5:36:43 PM UTC-7, Rakel wrote:
    I had a near miss today.

There is only something to it if you decide there is. There are 365 days in a year and something bad happens every day. I had two car wrecks on June 6th, six years apart on the same road at almost the exact same time of day driving the same make and
    color car, stopped at a light both times. These were both Friday the 6th of June. Interestingly enough my house was hit by lightning on Friday the 4th of June of last year, started a fire and I was in a hotel courtesy of State Farm for 10 months while
    it was being repaired. Go figure, first Friday in June? These are called coincidences and nothing more.

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    Now Happy Helicopter Pilot

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 14 05:19:06 2022
    The fear of Friday the 13th is called friggatriskaidekaphobia (Frigga being the name of the Norse goddess for whom “Friday” is named and triskaidekaphobia meaning fear of the number thirteen.

It comes from Norse mythology, concerning a dinner amongst the 12 Norse gods, whose party was crashed by Loki, a thirteenth sorta-god who got stupid, killed another of the gods, and somehow caused the Earth to be plunged into darkness.

Thus, Friday the 13th missed out on becoming another celebrated day of partying and drinking, unlike Cinco de Mayo.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From waltconnelly@aol.com@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Sat May 14 10:38:55 2022
    On Saturday, May 14, 2022 at 8:19:08 AM UTC-4, Mark Mocho wrote:
    The fear of Friday the 13th is called friggatriskaidekaphobia (Frigga being the name of the Norse goddess for whom “Friday” is named and triskaidekaphobia meaning fear of the number thirteen.

It comes from Norse mythology, concerning a dinner amongst the 12 Norse gods, whose party was crashed by Loki, a thirteenth sorta-god who got stupid, killed another of the gods, and somehow caused the Earth to be plunged into darkness.

Thus, Friday the 13th missed out on becoming another celebrated day of partying and drinking, unlike Cinco de Mayo.

If I recall correctly and I usually do, Loki in Norse mythology was a trickster who had the ability to change his shape and sex. Old Loki was ahead of his time, today that is common I understand. (not really, you can't change your sex, your chromosomes
    are unalterable). Loki was represented as the companion of the great gods Odin and Thor, helping them with his clever plans but sometimes causing embarrassment and difficulty for them and himself. He also appeared as the enemy of the gods, entering their
    banquet uninvited and demanding their drink. Seems that drinking got the better of old Loki as it does most people who imbibe. Personally I gave it up after a 13.5 hour mission in Northern Laos back in 1972. Fly that long with a hangover and you too
    will quit drinking. Bouncing around the unfriendly skies of Laos with a hangover is no fun.

Walt Connelly
    Former Tow Pilot
    Now Happy Helicopter Pilot.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05