• Status and future of glideport.aero?

From J6 aka Airport Bum@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 2 07:39:29 2022
    Just inquiring, since the XC season is now getting underway in earnest here in the USA. In particular, some of us who fly small camps/expeditions in remote sites really like having this tracking resource. Much more convenient than exchanging/keeping
    track of individual satellite tracker "share pages" (this will be our fallback....). glideport.aero has great site-focused and both real-time and persistent (permanent record) tracking display that in my opinion make it the most useful track display
    tool at this time. OGN can provide some similar tracking functions (even in areas without OGN ground stations, if folk register their satellite trackers via Niv's system) but it doesn't provide the persistent track access that could be critical in a
    retrieve or rescue situation.

glideport.aero has worked occasionally over the past month or two, but not really enough of the time for sure. Hopefully something is going on to achieve full time functionality for the season.

I recognize and commend the efforts attempting to restore this valuable service, and respect that it will take some (volunteer plus probably some paid professional) time and effort to get it back fully operational. Respect for those working on it.....

Cheers,
    Jim J6

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Davis Chappins@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 2 08:04:10 2022
    To clarify:

OGN can provide some similar tracking functions (even in areas without OGN ground stations, if folk register their satellite trackers via Niv's system)

You are referring to https://groups.google.com/g/rec.aviation.soaring/c/1zYbIJe7AkY/m/b9V3v4MFAQAJ created and hosted by me. This forwards spot and inreach locations to the OGN viewable by any OGN website.

To further clarify, this was meant as a fun project to see if I could do it. Looking towards the future this functionality should be hosted on glideport, so as to not have two places to signup with the same information. However the site has no ownership
    for now so that will have to wait.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From J6 aka Airport Bum@21:1/5 to davis.c...@gmail.com on Mon May 2 08:08:12 2022
    Thanks, Davis, I got mixed up here, apologies.... You have and are doing great work here, much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Jim J6

On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 10:04:13 AM UTC-5, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
    To clarify:
    OGN can provide some similar tracking functions (even in areas without OGN ground stations, if folk register their satellite trackers via Niv's system)
    You are referring to https://groups.google.com/g/rec.aviation.soaring/c/1zYbIJe7AkY/m/b9V3v4MFAQAJ created and hosted by me. This forwards spot and inreach locations to the OGN viewable by any OGN website.

To further clarify, this was meant as a fun project to see if I could do it. Looking towards the future this functionality should be hosted on glideport, so as to not have two places to signup with the same information. However the site has no
    ownership for now so that will have to wait.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 2 09:16:39 2022
    On 5/2/22 08:39, J6 aka Airport Bum wrote:

OGN can provide some similar tracking functions (even in areas without OGN ground stations, if folk register their satellite trackers via Niv's system) but it doesn't provide the persistent track access that could be critical in a retrieve or rescue
    situation.

Look at the SAR section of wiki.glidernet.org
    There is some capability of looking at old data, but it would be nice if
    the commonly used viewers had a 24 hr persistence option on the track
    length.

Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ramy@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 3 10:35:12 2022
    I also recommend signing up with Niv’s server as described here https://www.pacificsoaring.org/articles/2020/using-ogn/using-ogn.html
    Which will display your flarm trace (if within OGN station range) AND your ADS-B on glideport.

Ramy

On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 8:08:14 AM UTC-7, J6 aka Airport Bum wrote:
    Thanks, Davis, I got mixed up here, apologies.... You have and are doing great work here, much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Jim J6
    On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 10:04:13 AM UTC-5, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
    To clarify:

To further clarify, this was meant as a fun project to see if I could do it. Looking towards the future this functionality should be hosted on glideport, so as to not have two places to signup with the same information. However the site has no

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to All on Fri May 6 13:20:31 2022
    Just inquiring, since the XC season is now getting underway in earnest here in the USA. In particular, some of us who fly small camps/expeditions in remote sites really like having this tracking resource. Much more convenient than exchanging/keeping
    track of individual satellite tracker "share pages" (this will be our fallback....). glideport.aero has great site-focused and both real-time and persistent (permanent record) tracking display that in my opinion make it the most useful track display
    tool at this time. OGN can provide some similar tracking functions (even in areas without OGN ground stations, if folk register their satellite trackers via Niv's system) but it doesn't provide the persistent track access that could be critical in a
    retrieve or rescue situation.

glideport.aero has worked occasionally over the past month or two, but not really enough of the time for sure. Hopefully something is going on to achieve full time functionality for the season.

I recognize and commend the efforts attempting to restore this valuable service, and respect that it will take some (volunteer plus probably some paid professional) time and effort to get it back fully operational. Respect for those working on it.....

Cheers,
    Jim J6

For more discussion, see "SSA - Glider Tracking" thread from last year, starting July 4. Slightly dated info, but a lot of details.

I just tried to log into glideport.aero, said invalid password. Had to
    OK the security exemption due to the invalid certificate. But my Garmin tracker still shows up on that map.

At the present time, the OGN viewers show Flarm signals from the OGN
    receivers, Naviter and IGCDroid traffic through the cell phone network,
    and ADS-B signals from ADS-B Exchange. They can also show signals from low-cost OGN beacons, and SoftRF devices.

Although Glideport was great in its day, people gravitate towards things
    that work reliably, and also things that are cost-effective. I just
    don't see Glideport catching up to what's already available today from OGN.

-Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ramy@21:1/5 to kinsell on Fri May 6 14:14:32 2022
    Glideport is capable of showing everything that is on the OGN trackers, if everyone signs up to Niv’s server, and everything works.
    I talked to Frank and they are working on resolving the glideport issues. Meanwhile, I would have hoped that at least one of the developers of the popular OGN trackers would pay attention to the shortfalls described in the reference threads, take a good look at glideport UI, and give the OGN trackers much needed facelift and
    functionality to make them usable.
    I tried multiple OGN trackers and none of them are capable of providing a sorted list of all flights in a certain area and show the full traces of all flights with a single click. It is either impossible or difficult to do with any tracker I tried. If I
    was the developer of one of those trackers, I wouldn’t sleep until I could provide this very basic functionality. I would expect that at least WeGlide will make an effort to provide such capability in its live tracking feature. Even if the history must
    be limited to 24 hours due to silly privacy concerns. Is anyone from Weglide listening?

Ramy

On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 12:20:36 PM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
    track of individual satellite tracker "share pages" (this will be our fallback....). glideport.aero has great site-focused and both real-time and persistent (permanent record) tracking display that in my opinion make it the most useful track display tool
    at this time. OGN can provide some similar tracking functions (even in areas without OGN ground stations, if folk register their satellite trackers via Niv's system) but it doesn't provide the persistent track access that could be critical in a retrieve
    or rescue situation.

Cheers,
    Jim J6
    For more discussion, see "SSA - Glider Tracking" thread from last year, starting July 4. Slightly dated info, but a lot of details.

OK the security exemption due to the invalid certificate. But my Garmin tracker still shows up on that map.

At the present time, the OGN viewers show Flarm signals from the OGN receivers, Naviter and IGCDroid traffic through the cell phone network,
    and ADS-B signals from ADS-B Exchange. They can also show signals from low-cost OGN beacons, and SoftRF devices.

Although Glideport was great in its day, people gravitate towards things that work reliably, and also things that are cost-effective. I just
    don't see Glideport catching up to what's already available today from OGN.

-Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Ramy on Fri May 6 20:36:46 2022
    On 5/6/22 15:14, Ramy wrote:
    Glideport is capable of showing everything that is on the OGN trackers, if everyone signs up to Niv’s server, and everything works.

Those are two mighty big IF's.

I talked to Frank and they are working on resolving the glideport issues.

Uh huh. And how many years have they been working on this?

Meanwhile, I would have hoped that at least one of the developers of the popular OGN trackers would pay attention to the shortfalls described in the reference threads, take a good look at glideport UI, and give the OGN trackers much needed facelift and
    functionality to make them usable.

Many people think they are already usable. At least they work reliably,
    which puts them far ahead of glideport.

I tried multiple OGN trackers and none of them are capable of providing a sorted list of all flights in a certain area and show the full traces of all flights with a single click. It is either impossible or difficult to do with any tracker I tried. If
    I was the developer of one of those trackers, I wouldn’t sleep until I could provide this very basic functionality.

If it's so easy, why don't you just do it yourself?

I would expect that at least WeGlide will make an effort to provide such capability in its live tracking feature. Even if the history must be limited to 24 hours due to silly privacy concerns.

That limit is not from silly privacy concerns, it's EU law. 24 hrs
    should be enough for SAR work. As I previously stated, 24 hrs on all
    viewers would be nice, but there already is one that provides that.

Dave

Is anyone from Weglide listening?

Ramy

On Friday, May 6, 2022 at 12:20:36 PM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
    track of individual satellite tracker "share pages" (this will be our fallback....). glideport.aero has great site-focused and both real-time and persistent (permanent record) tracking display that in my opinion make it the most useful track display tool
    at this time. OGN can provide some similar tracking functions (even in areas without OGN ground stations, if folk register their satellite trackers via Niv's system) but it doesn't provide the persistent track access that could be critical in a retrieve
    or rescue situation.

Cheers,
    Jim J6
    For more discussion, see "SSA - Glider Tracking" thread from last year,
    starting July 4. Slightly dated info, but a lot of details.

OK the security exemption due to the invalid certificate. But my Garmin
    tracker still shows up on that map.

At the present time, the OGN viewers show Flarm signals from the OGN
    receivers, Naviter and IGCDroid traffic through the cell phone network,
    and ADS-B signals from ADS-B Exchange. They can also show signals from
    low-cost OGN beacons, and SoftRF devices.

Although Glideport was great in its day, people gravitate towards things
    that work reliably, and also things that are cost-effective. I just
    don't see Glideport catching up to what's already available today from OGN. >>
    -Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Davis Chappins@21:1/5 to All on Sat May 7 17:52:00 2022
    The answer to all of the questions asked in this thread is the same: money.

There is no money in developing trackers for gliders and no money paid to site owners to make existing ones better. Worse yet, the only revenue stream available for any tracking website comes from glider pilots themselves (or sponsors who advertise to
    glider pilots so indirectly still the pilots).

To my knowledge the only tracker under active development is weglide. They offer a few paid plans but in reality it probably barely covers their server costs + developer costs https://www.weglide.org/plans
    So if you are a glider pilot and want to see something different/better/new and not contributing then you are part of the problem. It's simple. (this is not directed at anyone in particular, but rather glider pilots as a whole)

Otherwise, there are existing options that are listed above and elsewhere.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ramy@21:1/5 to davis.c...@gmail.com on Sun May 8 17:47:10 2022
    I believe many would be happy to donate few bucks or pay subscription for a good reliable solution. I would.
    Quiet a few services are able to cover their costs with donations, subscriptions and advertisements (skysight, OLC etc).
    Weglide is definitely at the phase of trying to improve functionality and attract more users so I hope they will invest more in live tracking.

Ramy

On Saturday, May 7, 2022 at 5:52:02 PM UTC-7, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
    The answer to all of the questions asked in this thread is the same: money.

There is no money in developing trackers for gliders and no money paid to site owners to make existing ones better. Worse yet, the only revenue stream available for any tracking website comes from glider pilots themselves (or sponsors who advertise to
    glider pilots so indirectly still the pilots).

To my knowledge the only tracker under active development is weglide. They offer a few paid plans but in reality it probably barely covers their server costs + developer costs https://www.weglide.org/plans
    So if you are a glider pilot and want to see something different/better/new and not contributing then you are part of the problem. It's simple. (this is not directed at anyone in particular, but rather glider pilots as a whole)

Otherwise, there are existing options that are listed above and elsewhere.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Davis Chappins on Mon May 9 23:02:25 2022
    On 5/2/22 09:04, Davis Chappins wrote:
    To clarify:

Where is the registration for enabling the ADS-B to OGN relay?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ramy@21:1/5 to kinsell on Sun May 15 10:09:08 2022
    I believe this is done automatically by Davis integration. If you registered your flarm on OGN, OGN already has your Mode S code which is used to sync up with ADS-B targets.

Ramy

On Monday, May 9, 2022 at 10:02:30 PM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
    To clarify:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Ramy on Sun May 15 17:08:04 2022
    Davis told me that he relays any ADS-B signal squawking 1202. Also Mode
    S transponders that can be located with MLAT (on the ADS-B Exchange).
    Obviously a U.S. specific solution.

Many PF's are set up to use the flarm serial number instead of ICAO
    code, so you can't just use a flarm registration.

On 5/15/22 11:09, Ramy wrote:
    I believe this is done automatically by Davis integration. If you registered your flarm on OGN, OGN already has your Mode S code which is used to sync up with ADS-B targets.

Ramy

To clarify:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ramy@21:1/5 to kinsell on Sun May 15 21:42:01 2022
    I forgot about the option to use flarm serial number instead of Mode S code. I didn’t think anyone doing so. Only make sense when a portable is used in multiple gliders. Also I think this only works with Mode C transponders. I am pretty sure with Mode
    S and ADS-B you need to use the mode S code for proper functionality.

Ramy

On Sunday, May 15, 2022 at 4:08:09 PM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
    S transponders that can be located with MLAT (on the ADS-B Exchange). Obviously a U.S. specific solution.

Ramy

To clarify:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Ramy on Mon May 16 08:39:25 2022
    Oh contraire. When I installed my Core 5-6 years ago, the instructions
    said to use the serial number, but the ICAO code was another option.
    You can even make up your own random number if you want. Not a great
    idea, but it works.

If you have Mode S or ADS-B, there's another section in the config file
    for putting in your ICAO code, to help in rejecting your own xponder
    signal. It's not really linked to what your Flarm is sending out.

On 5/15/22 22:42, Ramy wrote:
    I forgot about the option to use flarm serial number instead of Mode S code. I didn’t think anyone doing so. Only make sense when a portable is used in multiple gliders. Also I think this only works with Mode C transponders. I am pretty sure with
    Mode S and ADS-B you need to use the mode S code for proper functionality.

Ramy

On Sunday, May 15, 2022 at 4:08:09 PM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
    S transponders that can be located with MLAT (on the ADS-B Exchange).
    Obviously a U.S. specific solution.

Ramy

To clarify:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From J6 aka Airport Bum@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 13 07:41:11 2022
    Any news on the status of glideport.aero? It seems that it is still working generally (intermittent failures to work though....), but it looks like it is still not accepting new registrations.

Cheers,
    Jim J6

On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 9:39:31 AM UTC-5, J6 aka Airport Bum wrote:
    or rescue situation.

Cheers,
    Jim J6

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 13 09:44:39 2022
    It's dead, Jim.

On 9/13/22 08:41, J6 aka Airport Bum wrote:
    Any news on the status of glideport.aero? It seems that it is still working generally (intermittent failures to work though....), but it looks like it is still not accepting new registrations.

Cheers,
    Jim J6

or rescue situation.

Cheers,
    Jim J6

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nicholas Kennedy@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 13 13:15:32 2022

or rescue situation.

Still works good for me
    I see everyone in the USA
    Faris flying South of Boulder and Colin looks like he's at his house
    Been working for me all summer!
    Nick
    T

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Nicholas Kennedy on Tue Sep 13 19:28:45 2022
    On 9/13/22 14:15, Nicholas Kennedy wrote:

or rescue situation.

Still works good for me
    Nick
    T

I gave up on glideport.aero a loooong time ago. Tried it again to see
    all the improvements. Tried to log in using last known password, said
    it was invalid. Tried the password recovery, never got an email, even
    after checking spam filters. Didn't try a new registration, I'll take
    Jim's word for it that it's still broken.

And of course if you use the official SSA link https://members.ssa.org/SailplaneTracker/Default.asp, it still gives the security violation warning.

If this is 'working good', I'd sure hate to see it when it's busted.

Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tango Eight@21:1/5 to kinsell on Wed Sep 14 03:19:07 2022
    On Tuesday, September 13, 2022 at 9:28:52 PM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
    On 9/13/22 14:15, Nicholas Kennedy wrote:

On Monday, May 2, 2022 at 9:39:31 AM UTC-5, J6 aka Airport Bum wrote: >>>> Just inquiring, since the XC season is now getting underway in earnest here in the USA. In particular, some of us who fly small camps/expeditions in remote sites really like having this tracking resource. Much more convenient than exchanging/
    keeping track of individual satellite tracker "share pages" (this will be our fallback....). glideport.aero has great site-focused and both real-time and persistent (permanent record) tracking display that in my opinion make it the most useful track
    display tool at this time. OGN can provide some similar tracking functions (even in areas without OGN ground stations, if folk register their satellite trackers via Niv's system) but it doesn't provide the persistent track access that could be critical
    in a retrieve or rescue situation.

Still works good for me
    Nick
    T
    I gave up on glideport.aero a loooong time ago. Tried it again to see
    all the improvements. Tried to log in using last known password, said
    it was invalid. Tried the password recovery, never got an email, even
    after checking spam filters. Didn't try a new registration, I'll take
    Jim's word for it that it's still broken.

And of course if you use the official SSA link https://members.ssa.org/SailplaneTracker/Default.asp, it still gives the security violation warning.

If this is 'working good', I'd sure hate to see it when it's busted.

Dave

Put the guys that f'd up our website on it, they'll finish it off.

T8

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05