• Transponder choice

From Ludovic@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 22 00:19:20 2022
    Hi
    I'm considering installing a transponder in my glider, but I'm not 100% sure, which setup I'll be going for.
    It'll be installed in a DG-808B
    My options are:
    1) Trig T21
    https://www.trig-avionics.com/product/compact-transponder/

2) Air Avionic
    Air control Display
    VT-01 XPDR module.

The Trig seems to be drawing slightly less power.
    The air control display could potentially also drive the radio and provide additional altimeter...but I don't really need these features as I have a becker AR6201 in the instrument panel, and a classic winter altimeter.

If I was designing a completly new panel for a (new) glider, the Air Avionic is very interesting as it saves space on the instrument panel.
    But for now...not sure it's relevant..

Any thoughts ?
    Feedback on any of these solutions ?

Regards
    Ludovic

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Eric@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 22 01:22:11 2022
    Op vrijdag 22 april 2022 om 09:19:22 UTC+2 schreef Ludovic:
    Hi
    I'm considering installing a transponder in my glider, but I'm not 100% sure, which setup I'll be going for.
    My options are:
    1) Trig T21

2) Air Avionic
    Air control Display
    VT-01 XPDR module.

The air control display could potentially also drive the radio and provide additional altimeter...but I don't really need these features as I have a becker AR6201 in the instrument panel, and a classic winter altimeter.

If I was designing a completly new panel for a (new) glider, the Air Avionic is very interesting as it saves space on the instrument panel.

Any thoughts ?

Regards
    Ludovic

I've been using the VT-01/UC (former Garrecht) since 2007. Critical points of the VT-01 are the air pressure sensor and the PA stage. The latter is sensitive to antenna miss adjustment. Furthermore a reliable and user friendly transponder.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matthew Scutter@21:1/5 to Eric on Fri Apr 22 06:23:14 2022
    The VT01 is only ADS-B SIL0, no integrity checking on the GPS source - that means most ATC and TCAS will not see your ADS-B transmissions, only your Mode S. This may not be permissible in your region, or may not be permissible in the future if it still
    is.
    The VT01 is a lot cheaper than any SIL>0 setup though...

On Friday, April 22, 2022 at 6:22:13 PM UTC+10, Eric wrote:
    Hi
    My options are:
    1) Trig T21

2) Air Avionic
    Air control Display
    VT-01 XPDR module.

Any thoughts ?

Regards
    Ludovic
    I've been using the VT-01/UC (former Garrecht) since 2007. Critical points of the VT-01 are the air pressure sensor and the PA stage. The latter is sensitive to antenna miss adjustment. Furthermore a reliable and user friendly transponder.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Matthew Scutter on Fri Apr 22 07:07:57 2022
    On Friday, April 22, 2022 at 6:23:17 AM UTC-7, Matthew Scutter wrote:
    The VT01 is only ADS-B SIL0, no integrity checking on the GPS source - that means most ATC and TCAS will not see your ADS-B transmissions, only your Mode S. This may not be permissible in your region, or may not be permissible in the future if it still
    is.
    Hi
    My options are:
    1) Trig T21

2) Air Avionic
    Air control Display
    VT-01 XPDR module.

Any thoughts ?

Regards
    Ludovic

If you want ADS-B compatibility, which is a must for flying in, or over, class B, C, and D airspace, then the TT-22 (not the TT-21) is the way to go (https://www.trig-avionics.com/product/compact-transponder/):

"ADS-B enhances safety and visibility – your investment in a TT22 transponder is future proof. Trig has a matching certified GPS position source that is highly affordable called the TN72. This is ideal for ADS-B voluntary equipage and the TN72 can even
    be used to meet the 2020 mandate by light-sport, experimental and homebuilt types in the U.S.

Our TN70 GPS position source is suitable for certified Part 23 aircraft that need a TSO-C145 position source, for operations in 2020 rule ADS-B airspace using a TT22 transponder."

It is not economical to upgrade a TT-21 to a TT-22, so make up your mind at the start (I have had both and currently have the TT-21 and TN72 in my ASH31Mi).

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From soaringjac@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 22 07:06:13 2022
    Trig TT22 and TN72

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Richard Pfiffner@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 22 08:10:58 2022
    Please see this page especially if in the USA.

http://www.craggyaero.com/transponder.htm

Becker, Garrecht transponders with ADS-B do not meet USA Specifications.

Richard
    www.craggyaero.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 22 10:04:18 2022
    On Friday, April 22, 2022 at 9:07:59 AM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
    The VT01 is only ADS-B SIL0, no integrity checking on the GPS source - that means most ATC and TCAS will not see your ADS-B transmissions, only your Mode S. This may not be permissible in your region, or may not be permissible in the future if it
    still is.
    Hi
    My options are:
    1) Trig T21

2) Air Avionic
    Air control Display
    VT-01 XPDR module.

Any thoughts ?

Regards
    Ludovic
    If you want ADS-B compatibility, which is a must for flying in, or over, class B, C, and D airspace, then the TT-22 (not the TT-21) is the way to go (https://www.trig-avionics.com/product/compact-transponder/):

"ADS-B enhances safety and visibility – your investment in a TT22 transponder is future proof. Trig has a matching certified GPS position source that is highly affordable called the TN72. This is ideal for ADS-B voluntary equipage and the TN72 can
    even be used to meet the 2020 mandate by light-sport, experimental and homebuilt types in the U.S.

Our TN70 GPS position source is suitable for certified Part 23 aircraft that need a TSO-C145 position source, for operations in 2020 rule ADS-B airspace using a TT22 transponder."

It is not economical to upgrade a TT-21 to a TT-22, so make up your mind at the start (I have had both and currently have the TT-21 and TN72 in my ASH31Mi).

Tom

ADS-B Out is not required in a glider (or any other aircraft) in Class D Airspace

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Tony on Fri Apr 22 21:41:44 2022
    On Friday, April 22, 2022 at 10:04:20 AM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
    On Friday, April 22, 2022 at 9:07:59 AM UTC-5, 2G wrote:
    The VT01 is only ADS-B SIL0, no integrity checking on the GPS source - that means most ATC and TCAS will not see your ADS-B transmissions, only your Mode S. This may not be permissible in your region, or may not be permissible in the future if it
    still is.
    Hi
    My options are:
    1) Trig T21 https://www.trig-avionics.com/product/compact-transponder/

2) Air Avionic
    Air control Display
    VT-01 XPDR module.

Any thoughts ?

Regards
    Ludovic

"ADS-B enhances safety and visibility – your investment in a TT22 transponder is future proof. Trig has a matching certified GPS position source that is highly affordable called the TN72. This is ideal for ADS-B voluntary equipage and the TN72 can
    even be used to meet the 2020 mandate by light-sport, experimental and homebuilt types in the U.S.

Tom
    ADS-B Out is not required in a glider (or any other aircraft) in Class D Airspace

Here is where ADS-B is required: https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/technology/equipadsb/research/airspace/

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Richard Pfiffner@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 23 08:28:25 2022
    For my 2 cents it is not where it is required. It is where you want to be seen!!!!

Richard
    www.craggyaero.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Richard Pfiffner on Sat Apr 23 08:53:46 2022
    On Saturday, April 23, 2022 at 8:28:26 AM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
    For my 2 cents it is not where it is required. It is where you want to be seen!!!!

Richard
    www.craggyaero.com

That's absolutely right: I got my first transponder after finding out the FAA in their infinite wisdom was routing incoming traffic to Reno directly down the Pine Nuts near Minden. When you see a 737 come out of the clouds 1,000 ft above you it gets
    your attention!

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ludovic@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 25 03:01:27 2022
    Thanks for the information.
    I think I'll be going towards a Trig TT22.

Regards
    Ludovic

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Ludovic on Mon Apr 25 10:44:10 2022
    You won't be sorry! ...And integrating a Trig ADS-B solution is quite
    easy, as well. I have two of them, one in my Stemme and one in my home
    build gyro plane.

Dan
    5J

On 4/25/22 04:01, Ludovic wrote:
    Thanks for the information.
    I think I'll be going towards a Trig TT22.

Regards
    Ludovic

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05