• Eberle Trailer Wheel Bearing?

From collinshea1345@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Apr 19 19:45:22 2022
    Hello all,

Does anyone know where I can find replacement sealed bearings online for an Eberle trailer?

I did a 40 mile drive a few weeks back and the bearing seemed to run a bit warm, soon it will be on a 1,000+ road trip and don't want to take any chances.

They are sealed bearings so have to replace vs repacking them like the ever so luxurious cobra trailer.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to collins...@gmail.com on Wed Apr 20 09:19:05 2022
    On 4/19/2022 7:45 PM, collins...@gmail.com wrote:
    Hello all,

Does anyone know where I can find replacement sealed bearings online for an Eberle trailer?

I did a 40 mile drive a few weeks back and the bearing seemed to run a bit warm, soon it will be on a 1,000+ road trip and don't want to take any chances.

They are sealed bearings so have to replace vs repacking them like the ever so luxurious cobra trailer.
    Check with the bearing supplier in your area, as bearings are often a common size and
    widely available. McMaster-Carr would be my first choice online, but even Amazon might
    have them.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"
    https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris Behm@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Wed Apr 20 12:29:30 2022
    On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 9:19:09 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    Hello all,

Check with the bearing supplier in your area, as bearings are often a common size and
    widely available. McMaster-Carr would be my first choice online, but even Amazon might
    have them.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA
    - "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" https://sites.google.com/site/motorgliders/publications

Here's a question: Shouldn't they run a little warm anyway? What would be the actual temp that would be "too warm/hot" for a sealed bearing?
    I would also assume that ambient temperature would matter in this case.

Kind Regards,
    Target

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Chris Behm on Wed Apr 20 16:08:37 2022
    For me, when I owned trailers, I would touch the bearing cap shortly
    after beginning a trip and again at every stop. If it was too hot to
    hold my fingers on the bearing cap, I would investigate. Note: A
    dragging brake will yield the same symptom.

Dan
    5J

On 4/20/22 13:29, Chris Behm wrote:
    Hello all,

have them.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Here's a question: Shouldn't they run a little warm anyway? What would be the actual temp that would be "too warm/hot" for a sealed bearing?

Kind Regards,
    Target

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hartley Falbaum@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Thu Apr 21 06:12:12 2022
    On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 6:08:40 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:

Dan
    5J
    Hello all,

have them.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Kind Regards,
    Target

The hub will feel warmer after city driving with stops and starts as well. I use a infrared thermometer.
    The bearing may well have some ID laser engraved on it--should help find cross reference. Look for it on the edge of the race.
    On Cobra sealed bearing axle, it requires a machine shop press to remove the bearing and replace it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From collinshea1345@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Hartley Falbaum on Tue May 3 11:56:56 2022
    On Thursday, April 21, 2022 at 6:12:14 AM UTC-7, Hartley Falbaum wrote:
    On Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 6:08:40 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:

Dan
    5J
    Hello all,

have them.

--
    Eric Greenwell - USA

Kind Regards,
    Target
    The hub will feel warmer after city driving with stops and starts as well. I use a infrared thermometer.
    The bearing may well have some ID laser engraved on it--should help find cross reference. Look for it on the edge of the race.
    On Cobra sealed bearing axle, it requires a machine shop press to remove the bearing and replace it.

Posting just in case anyone finds themselves in the predicament I was.

1972 axle, and European obviously, good luck finding replacement hubs or bearings, and to put a new sealed bearing in requires a press to pop the old one out and get the new one in. However, I was able to pack them and the hub with some grease and it
    seemed to just work find. If you need to limp it somewhere, I think its safe yo say you can "doctor" it for the time being. I just did 1,300 miles with it and it was fine, one day though I will need to get a new axle etc. My situation is obviously
    different than any other one since it all depends.

All the best

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05