• Region 5 North Rain Day

From Rich Owen@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 18 19:56:23 2022
    Rain, Rain, Go Away!

Last night the rain was coming down so hard, the folks who were living in tents were happy they bought the best tents instead of the best value brand. Even Dick Butler woke up to check on his ship. But when the sun came out, it was still raining. True
    to Charlie Spratt’s mantra, “I will not make you rig in the rain!” our CD made the right decision. Thanks Marshall!!
    The morning was pretty laid back with several folks going to the Pig (the Piggly Wiggly that Al owns) for breakfast. The food was good and the service was better. The only bad thing is you received a check that you needed to pay at the front of the
    store. Being old glider pilots, we had to remind each other to pay bills. The pilot’s meeting was soon upon us and Marshall gave us an inspirational talk about freedom. It was really good and he asked all the former military, first responders, medical professionals and law enforcement members to stand. He also reminded us
    of the value of all of our volunteers that make the contest possible.
    He also highlighted the distance some of our pilots traveled to attend this event. Pete Alexander, Hal Woodruff, Tom Holloran, and Gary Itner are from the west coast but chose to support Region 5 and the Tylers in this great event.
    During the Mandatory Safety Meeting, Marshall brought up a quote by Al Tyler Sr when talking about a couple of accidents that involved pilots thermally below 400ft. I think I got it right, “If you’re going to be stupid, you better be tough!”
    Next person to talk was Scott Fletcher, our weatherman. After giving the forecast (it was still raining like crazy), he reported the best weather to fly was east of Santa Fe NM! Since the tow would exceed the normal glider pilot budget of $1 dollar less
    than the advertised price, Marshall cancelled the day. Of course, Larry Travers (Ops Head), told a really funny joke that would only be offensive to a tow rope. You need to ask him what it was.
    A few things occurred that I did not include in yesterdays post. I found out during the only retrieve Chris Carter handled, her telephone call with the pilot was suddenly dropped. At the exact same time Gary Carter was wondering who he was talking to
    when he was driving by the retrieve office. You have to laugh at Bluetooth telephone systems sometimes.
    Everyone knows Erik Nelson’s Mom who crews for him. It’s always great to have her at the contest. Well, they are staying at a bed and breakfast that caters to horse people. Of course, they have horses on the property and Mom loves to feed Dusty.
    Unfortunately, Dusty liked Mom’s fingers better. The next day Mom had to explain why she was wearing a bandage and Dusty is in quarantine for a month.
    Tonight, we had a great dinner that was prepared by a cast of dedicated volunteers. Beer Butt Chicken is a staple at Perry and the most fun to help prepare! Everyone left relatively early since we will be flying tomorrow. Thanks to Rex Mayes and
    Alexander Schleicher for providing the keg of beer and P7 brewery for adding to the event. Tomorrow, I promise we will provide a more exciting report.
    Good night,
    Rich Owen
    ZO

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Rich Owen on Tue Apr 19 10:12:52 2022
    True about the lift but the wind gusts upwards of 40 kts make ground
    handling problematic.

Dan
    5J

On 4/18/22 20:56, Rich Owen wrote:
    the best weather to fly was east of Santa Fe NM!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)