• Musings on Flarm, GlidePort & SeeYou Navigator

From Colin Barry@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 6 13:10:45 2022
    Pedja’s brilliant glideport.aero site relied on you registering and carrying a Spot or inReach. You could also carry a cell device with custom tracking software installed. The glideport site provides an excellent visualization of the tracking data it
    receives but it currently does not show Flarm signals, ADSB or OGN data. AFAIK glideport.aero is not under active development.

The undocumented(?) SeeYou Navigator tracking feature, complimented by an OGN receiver network may provide a route forward.

After installing Navigator on your mobile device, you will be transmitting your location (lat, long & alt) via any cell data networks within range to the master OGN database. If you are equipped with a Flarm your data will also go into the master OGN
    database via any OGN receivers within range.

Consider the following scenarios:

In the cockpit.

Provided you have a cell signal, If you turn on the OGN layer on your mobile device you will see Flarm targets, including those that are out of range via OGN receivers. You will also see targets that are only carrying a mobile device. As a side note... I
    have found the range of Flarm devices to be spotty, for both a send and receive, being highly sensitive to the placement of the antennas. Trig ADSB equipped aircraft certainly reduced this problem.

At a gliding event or home.

Using OGN visualization web sites (e.g. https://www.gliderradar.com/center/46.27626,2.26936/zoom/11/time/15?center=40.0024,-105.0073&zoom=8 ), which are polling the master OGN database, You will now see Flarm (via OGN receivers) and Navigator data (via
    cell)

The need and expense of carrying a satellite tracker is now diminished, except for there need in a situation where you are off the grid. BTW Spot trackers only update every 10 minutes so they could be as laggy as moving in and out of cell range

I am not saying Navigator/OGN is perfect but it seems to be a way forward that can be actively pursued.
    We are lucky in Colorado that the major clubs have each installed OGN receivers. It’s about $300, should your club be considering this?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to Colin Barry on Wed Apr 6 21:58:12 2022
    On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 13:10:45 -0700 (PDT), Colin Barry wrote:

As a side note... I have found the range of
    Flarm devices to be spotty, for both a send and receive, being highly sensitive to the placement of the antennas. Trig ADSB equipped aircraft certainly reduced this problem.

Have you optimised your FLARM antenna placement? The necessity of doing
    that is something I've known since I first installed FLARM 15 years ago.

I've also known the fix for just as long: submit a FLARM log which has
    several contacts on it to the FLARM range analyser. This displays a chart showing your contact range in all directions from your glider. If the
    plot isn't approximately circular, adjust your antenna placement until it
    is. thats fairly easy to do: I'd adjusted my antenna position to get a
    similar omnidirectional contact range within the first few weeks of
    installing FLARM.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Raul Boerner@21:1/5 to Colin Barry on Wed Apr 6 14:57:19 2022
    On Wednesday, April 6, 2022 at 2:11:01 PM UTC-6, Colin Barry wrote:
    Pedja’s brilliant glideport.aero site relied on you registering and carrying a Spot or inReach. You could also carry a cell device with custom tracking software installed. The glideport site provides an excellent visualization of the tracking data it
    receives but it currently does not show Flarm signals, ADSB or OGN data. AFAIK glideport.aero is not under active development.

The undocumented(?) SeeYou Navigator tracking feature, complimented by an OGN receiver network may provide a route forward.

After installing Navigator on your mobile device, you will be transmitting your location (lat, long & alt) via any cell data networks within range to the master OGN database. If you are equipped with a Flarm your data will also go into the master OGN
    database via any OGN receivers within range.

Consider the following scenarios:

In the cockpit.

Provided you have a cell signal, If you turn on the OGN layer on your mobile device you will see Flarm targets, including those that are out of range via OGN receivers. You will also see targets that are only carrying a mobile device. As a side note...
    I have found the range of Flarm devices to be spotty, for both a send and receive, being highly sensitive to the placement of the antennas. Trig ADSB equipped aircraft certainly reduced this problem.

At a gliding event or home.

Using OGN visualization web sites (e.g. https://www.gliderradar.com/center/46.27626,2.26936/zoom/11/time/15?center=40.0024,-105.0073&zoom=8 ), which are polling the master OGN database, You will now see Flarm (via OGN receivers) and Navigator data (via
    cell)

The need and expense of carrying a satellite tracker is now diminished, except for there need in a situation where you are off the grid. BTW Spot trackers only update every 10 minutes so they could be as laggy as moving in and out of cell range

I am not saying Navigator/OGN is perfect but it seems to be a way forward that can be actively pursued.
    We are lucky in Colorado that the major clubs have each installed OGN receivers. It’s about $300, should your club be considering this?

Hello Colin,

First, thank you for yesterday's post which includes the link to the "OGN Devices DataBase website": https://ddb.glidernet.org/

My PowerFlarm has been registered with this database for a few months. Now, my Oudie N is also registered. My cellphone was registered but too many devices seems confusing, so I deleted that one. This is my question: Will registering and using multiple
    devices clutter the various OGN visualization websites (maps)?

Thank you for bringing up OGN,

Raul Boerner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Colin Barry@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 6 15:56:41 2022
    Hello Martin,
    Yes, I really worked hard on my antennae placement and tuning. My previous glider was a Discus2b and the carbon fiber body made this very challenging and frustrating.

In any case I am just suggesting that the OGN route may be a better avenue for us to pursue. Flarm data is not available on the unsupported glideport.aero but is available in various OGN visualizers.

If you would like to start another thread on Flarm antennae tuning … please go ahead as I don’t want this thread to be hi-jacked into a black hole related to this task :). I would note that the tuning topic has been beaten to death in prior rec.
    aviation.soaring history.

Cheers

Colin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Colin Barry@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 6 15:43:14 2022
    Hello Raul,
    Yes multiple device registrations could get messy IMHO. It would be better implementation if you had one top level record for each aircraft which specified Registration ID, Contest Number etc then one or more child records for each device (Ahh back in my
    DBA days..). But more use of the system may trigger such changes.

Cheers

Colin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Martin Gregorie@21:1/5 to Colin Barry on Thu Apr 7 12:30:48 2022
    On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 15:56:41 -0700 (PDT), Colin Barry wrote:

If you would like to start another thread on Flarm antennae tuning …
    please go ahead as I don’t want this thread to be hi-jacked into a black hole related to this task :). I would note that the tuning topic has
    been beaten to death in prior rec.aviation.soaring history.

Hi Colin,

The only glider type I'd claim any FLARM antenna placement knowledge for
    is an H.201 Libelle - and that is for a single antenna Red Box FLARM, i.e.
    not a PowerFLARM. Following advice from a Swedish pilot, I mounted my
    antenna in front of the instrument tray on a length of glass fishing rod
    using a wooden block and nylon screws so the antenna that can be moved
    fore and aft along the rod.

The antenna needs to be placed roughly halfway between the front of the
    tray and the pedals. Its exact placement is critical: if done right you
    get good all-round coverage, but if wrong you have virtually no rearward coverage. I assume this is some sort of interference effect from the
    (metal) instruments on the panel and in the tray because adjusting the
    antenna placement by as little as 10mm makes a significant difference to
    rear coverage.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charles Gillespie@21:1/5 to Martin Gregorie on Thu Apr 7 07:26:48 2022
    On Thursday, April 7, 2022 at 6:30:51 AM UTC-6, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    On Wed, 6 Apr 2022 15:56:41 -0700 (PDT), Colin Barry wrote:

If you would like to start another thread on Flarm antennae tuning … please go ahead as I don’t want this thread to be hi-jacked into a black hole related to this task :). I would note that the tuning topic has
    been beaten to death in prior rec.aviation.soaring history.

Hi Colin,

The only glider type I'd claim any FLARM antenna placement knowledge for
    is an H.201 Libelle - and that is for a single antenna Red Box FLARM, i.e. not a PowerFLARM. Following advice from a Swedish pilot, I mounted my antenna in front of the instrument tray on a length of glass fishing rod using a wooden block and nylon screws so the antenna that can be moved
    fore and aft along the rod.

The antenna needs to be placed roughly halfway between the front of the
    tray and the pedals. Its exact placement is critical: if done right you
    get good all-round coverage, but if wrong you have virtually no rearward coverage. I assume this is some sort of interference effect from the
    (metal) instruments on the panel and in the tray because adjusting the antenna placement by as little as 10mm makes a significant difference to rear coverage.

I agree that having Navigator and FLARM simultaneously reporting your position to OGN will result in unnecessary clutter. Unfortunately, de-selecting the OGN layer in Navigator does not cease the reporting of the device position to OGN. I wonder if
    Naviter could couple position reporting to the OGN layer switch?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Charles Gillespie on Thu Apr 7 09:25:40 2022
    On 4/7/22 08:26, Charles Gillespie wrote:

I agree that having Navigator and FLARM simultaneously reporting your position to OGN will result in unnecessary clutter. Unfortunately, de-selecting the OGN layer in Navigator does not cease the reporting of the device position to OGN. I wonder if
    Naviter could couple position reporting to the OGN layer switch?

Seems like the implementation in Navigator is poorly thought out. It's
    too easy for your cell phone to be accidentally broadcasting your
    position at all times, leading to clutter on OGN, privacy issues, and
    wasted cell data. When I first noticed Colin's signal, it looked like
    we had another glider down on a golf course.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Colin Barry@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 7 09:26:21 2022
    Located some more documentation on SeeYou Navigator

https://naviter.com/2022/02/navigator-2-3-0-with-loads-of-new-functionality/

https://kb.naviter.com/en/article-categories/seeyou-navigator/

Also I completed a support request regarding "clutter" and "always on". Maybe Andrej is listening here?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Colin Barry@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 7 09:31:52 2022
    Maybe I should RTFM regarding 'always on'

https://kb.naviter.com/en/kb/keep-seeyou-navigator-running-in-the-background/

Still a bit clunky IMHO

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Colin Barry on Thu Apr 7 12:45:16 2022
    On 4/7/22 10:31, Colin Barry wrote:

Still a bit clunky IMHO

No matter how much documentation exists, people will leave tracking on accidentally sometimes.

Happened to notice three targets at your house this morning. Your
    glider, your cell, and some other Naviter device, with a fake Flarm ID
    ending in "BF". Did you have a visitor, or is there some other device
    putting out data?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ramy@21:1/5 to kinsell on Thu Apr 7 14:06:46 2022
    One correction: you can relay your OGN data to glideport using the following service courtesy of Niv Levi and PASCO. See instructions in 2nd and 3rd slide:

https://www.pacificsoaring.org/articles/2020/using-ogn/using-ogn.html

Also note that If you have ADSB it is now relayed to OGN, and if you sign up for the service above, also to glideport.
    You can see this in action on my glideport traces (TG).

Ramy

On Thursday, April 7, 2022 at 11:45:21 AM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
    On 4/7/22 10:31, Colin Barry wrote:

Still a bit clunky IMHO
    No matter how much documentation exists, people will leave tracking on accidentally sometimes.

Happened to notice three targets at your house this morning. Your
    glider, your cell, and some other Naviter device, with a fake Flarm ID
    ending in "BF". Did you have a visitor, or is there some other device
    putting out data?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Colin Barry@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 7 14:44:30 2022
    Dave,
    agreed it's too easy to have the tracking data enabled and not obvious when it is. The 3 devices was me just testing the maximum clutter. I was running my iPad, iPhone & FLARM core

Cheers

Colin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Colin Barry@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 7 14:55:15 2022
    Hi Ramy,
    thanks for the heads up. I will check it out.

Cheers

Colin

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Colin Barry on Thu Apr 14 11:06:50 2022
    On 4/7/22 15:44, Colin Barry wrote:
    Dave,
    agreed it's too easy to have the tracking data enabled and not obvious when it is. The 3 devices was me just testing the maximum clutter. I was running my iPad, iPhone & FLARM core

Cheers

Colin

There's been little flying in Colorado this last week due to winds, but
    there's some interesting patterns showing up at Colorado Springs:

https://www.gliderradar.com/?center=39.3407,-104.5404&zoom=8

Select the bottom receiver, and hit coverage. There's some paths from
    Col Springs up to Denver, and one to Canon City. I'm betting that's car traffic, probably accidentally with tracking on?

Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05