• Re: Performance Glider for tall people

From Rob@21:1/5 to Mattia Filiaci on Sun Apr 10 16:20:23 2022
    Mattia, I'm 6'7" and 240 lbs. I fly a Genesis 2. It is by far the most comfortable glider cockpit I've ever sat it and I tried almost all of them on that list. I fit in a Discus 2cT, but it would possibly require some slight mods. Genesis 2... no
    problems whatsoever.

I tried a JS-3 yesterday - nope. I'm told JS-2 should be no problems as it's built to accommodate people up to 6'8" and 256 lbs, but after trying so many, I'm in a wait-and-see mode. I'm keeping an eye out for something better, but when it comes to fit
    for a tall pilot, you can't beat a G2.

Finally, if anyone in Europe that's affiliated or working for any of these manufacturers is reading this, I'm gonna go on a little rant:

Why is every glider you build set up to accommodate every last one of the seven dwarfs, but tall people get absolutely no love? Germans, Slovenians, Lithuanians are tall people. You're shaming your ancestors by limiting building gliders for people who
    need half dozen cushions just to see the tow plane on the ground, and yet a moderately tall person (6'7" or 2.01m) can't fit to save their life - be it legroom wise or closing the canopy. :)

OK, rant over, but I'd love to see something with a FES or self-launch that can fit a 6'7" pilot without requiring playing with sawzall.

Rob
    RS

On Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 1:08:23 PM UTC-5, Mattia Filiaci wrote:
    On Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 7:49:23 AM UTC-4, Andreas Maurer wrote:
    On 28 Aug 2006 02:48:31 -0700, "ginopagino" <dcai...@gmail.com>
    wrote:
    Hi,

which european medium/high performance glider would you reccommend for >tall people?
    I am ~6.5 / 199cm and looking to buy something like a Discus but >apparently cockpit is supersmall
    Being 2.01m myself, here's my list of gliders that I fit in: ASW-19/20/Pegase (very comfortable with seatback removed)
    ASW-24 (special chute required - Kohnke Paeckchen)
    ASW-27 (special chute required, seatback removed)
    ASW-28 (special chute required, seatback removed)
    DG-300/600/800 (very comfortable)
    Ventus c
    Discus b
    Discus 2b (very comfortable)
    Ventus 2b (very comfortable)
    Nimbus 2 (very comfortable)
    Janus/Duo Discus/Numbus 3D/4D front seat (comfortable)
    LS-3/4 (very comfortable)
    LS-6/7/8 (long enough, but a little narrow for my taste)

Choose one... ;)
    Bye
    Andreas
    Hi
    I am a 6'6" (197cm) pilot and just tried to fit in a DG800A and I did not fit at all (seat all the way back and pedals full forward of course). I am surprised at 2.01 you were able to fit in the DG800. Also my feet barely fit under the canopy with
    sneakers on. Seemed much smaller than my VentusB in shoulder width also.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From RR@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 11 04:13:14 2022
    Snip ...
    OK, rant over, but I'd love to see something with a FES or self-launch that can fit a 6'7" pilot without requiring playing with sawzall.

Try a ASH-31 / 26. You will need to remove the seat back, but that is easy. I am 6' 3" and needed to put 1" of hard foam behind me and I could still put the peddles too far forward. But tall comes in flavors. Mine is in my torso more then legs so you
    will have to try...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Rob@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 11 04:24:41 2022
    I tried ASH-31. No dice. Couldn't quite close the canopy. It'd require playing with a Sawzall.

RS

On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 6:13:16 AM UTC-5, RR wrote:
    Snip ...
    Try a ASH-31 / 26. You will need to remove the seat back, but that is easy. I am 6' 3" and needed to put 1" of hard foam behind me and I could still put the peddles too far forward. But tall comes in flavors. Mine is in my torso more then legs so you
    will have to try...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AS@21:1/5 to Rob on Mon Apr 11 05:24:30 2022
    On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 7:24:43 AM UTC-4, Rob wrote:
    I tried ASH-31. No dice. Couldn't quite close the canopy. It'd require playing with a Sawzall.

RS
    Snip ...
    will have to try...

Buy an ASG32 and follow Hightower's lead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjNpA-fy1r0

Uli
    AS

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From stephen.szikora.t3@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 14 04:54:36 2022
    On Monday, April 11, 2022 at 8:24:32 AM UTC-4, AS wrote:

RS
    Snip ...
    Try a ASH-31 / 26. You will need to remove the seat back, but that is easy. I am 6' 3" and needed to put 1" of hard foam behind me and I could still put the peddles too far forward. But tall comes in flavors. Mine is in my torso more then legs so
    you will have to try...
    Buy an ASG32 and follow Hightower's lead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjNpA-fy1r0

Uli
    AS
    Rob, I feel your pain but you won’t get much sympathy here when you describe 6’7” as moderately tall. I’m 6’4” (long in the torso) and don’t really fit properly in any gliders. Head room is always the issue. I can’t wear a parachute and
    my seating position is always compromised by having to slide forward and lean back. Once I lost my cycling water bottle on a flight. When I landed, I found it in the gap between the seat and my lower back and I hadn’t felt it at all during the flight!
    That can’t be safe.

I’ve searched the many discussions on RAS where the tall boy problem is discussed. Recommendations of this glider or another are thrown around and I have sat in many of them. The problem is always the same - can’t close canopy at all or head hitting
    canopy. I may have to go vintage sport canopy style and just wear baggy t-shirts for a parachute!

Studies show that tall men are perceived as leaders, make more money and attract more women, but I’m sure you and me both would give it all up to be comfortable in a glider!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Sinclair@21:1/5 to stephen.s...@gmail.com on Thu Apr 14 07:09:37 2022
    On Thursday, April 14, 2022 at 4:54:38 AM UTC-7, stephen.s...@gmail.com wrote:

RS
    Snip ...
    Try a ASH-31 / 26. You will need to remove the seat back, but that is easy. I am 6' 3" and needed to put 1" of hard foam behind me and I could still put the peddles too far forward. But tall comes in flavors. Mine is in my torso more then legs so
    you will have to try...

Uli
    AS
    Rob, I feel your pain but you won’t get much sympathy here when you describe 6’7” as moderately tall. I’m 6’4” (long in the torso) and don’t really fit properly in any gliders. Head room is always the issue. I can’t wear a parachute and
    my seating position is always compromised by having to slide forward and lean back. Once I lost my cycling water bottle on a flight. When I landed, I found it in the gap between the seat and my lower back and I hadn’t felt it at all during the flight!
    That can’t be safe.

I’ve searched the many discussions on RAS where the tall boy problem is discussed. Recommendations of this glider or another are thrown around and I have sat in many of them. The problem is always the same - can’t close canopy at all or head
    hitting canopy. I may have to go vintage sport canopy style and just wear baggy t-shirts for a parachute!

Studies show that tall men are perceived as leaders, make more money and attract more women, but I’m sure you and me both would give it all up to be comfortable in a glider!

Stephen, have you tried on a Genesis-2? I put a 6’ 4” guy in my G-2 after removing the seat back and sliding the rudder pedals all the way forward. He fit comfortably! And, there is a Ballistic parachute available. I’ve got to say flying with just
    a seat belt and shoulder harness provides the most comfortable ride I have encountered.
    JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Mocho@21:1/5 to All on Thu Apr 14 07:19:29 2022
    Several years ago, German pilot Holger Weitzel visited Moriarty with an ASH-26E and made some amazing flights. Holger appears to be about seven feet tall. I didn't ask him if he was comfortable or not, but I didn't notice any parts of him sticking out
    the vents.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From krasw@21:1/5 to Mark Mocho on Thu Apr 14 10:21:07 2022
    On Thursday, 14 April 2022 at 17:19:31 UTC+3, Mark Mocho wrote:
    Several years ago, German pilot Holger Weitzel visited Moriarty with an ASH-26E and made some amazing flights. Holger appears to be about seven feet tall. I didn't ask him if he was comfortable or not, but I didn't notice any parts of him sticking out
    the vents.

Few years ago I met him and he told my he traded his 26 to an ASH 31Mi. Holger has modified his instrument panel a bit, maybe bigger leg openings. And he has parachute on hat shelf. Obviously no seat back. Holger is the nicest guy you can imagine btw.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From stephen.szikora.t3@gmail.com@21:1/5 to johnsin...@yahoo.com on Thu Apr 14 11:33:00 2022
    On Thursday, April 14, 2022 at 10:09:39 AM UTC-4, johnsin...@yahoo.com wrote:

RS
    Snip ...
    Try a ASH-31 / 26. You will need to remove the seat back, but that is easy. I am 6' 3" and needed to put 1" of hard foam behind me and I could still put the peddles too far forward. But tall comes in flavors. Mine is in my torso more then legs
    so you will have to try...

Uli
    AS
    Rob, I feel your pain but you won’t get much sympathy here when you describe 6’7” as moderately tall. I’m 6’4” (long in the torso) and don’t really fit properly in any gliders. Head room is always the issue. I can’t wear a parachute
    and my seating position is always compromised by having to slide forward and lean back. Once I lost my cycling water bottle on a flight. When I landed, I found it in the gap between the seat and my lower back and I hadn’t felt it at all during the
    flight! That can’t be safe.

I’ve searched the many discussions on RAS where the tall boy problem is discussed. Recommendations of this glider or another are thrown around and I have sat in many of them. The problem is always the same - can’t close canopy at all or head
    hitting canopy. I may have to go vintage sport canopy style and just wear baggy t-shirts for a parachute!

Stephen, have you tried on a Genesis-2? I put a 6’ 4” guy in my G-2 after removing the seat back and sliding the rudder pedals all the way forward. He fit comfortably! And, there is a Ballistic parachute available. I’ve got to say flying with
    just a seat belt and shoulder harness provides the most comfortable ride I have encountered.
    JJ
    JJ, I haven’t had the opportunity to sit in a Genesis yet. I’d like to try on on sometime but they are rare. … I would have though just wearing a seatbelt and shoulder harness would leave you a little exposed, not to mention the chaffing!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Sinclair@21:1/5 to stephen.s...@gmail.com on Thu Apr 14 13:06:45 2022
    On Thursday, April 14, 2022 at 11:33:02 AM UTC-7, stephen.s...@gmail.com wrote:

RS
    Snip ...

JJ, I haven’t had the opportunity to sit in a Genesis yet. I’d like to try on on sometime but they are rare. … I would have though just wearing a seatbelt and shoulder harness would leave you a little exposed, not to mention the chaffing!

Exposed? Your exposed to a comfortable ride without a parachute hanging on your shoulders! The BRS brings the whole ship down with you sitting in the cockpit! The limits on the unit I used are 1050 # total weight when deployed and no more than 130 knots
    airspeed. That allows you about 20 gallons of water ballast, other BRS units allow more water.
    JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From stephen.szikora.t3@gmail.com@21:1/5 to johnsin...@yahoo.com on Thu Apr 14 15:51:39 2022
    On Thursday, April 14, 2022 at 4:06:47 PM UTC-4, johnsin...@yahoo.com wrote:
    On Thursday, April 14, 2022 at 11:33:02 AM UTC-7, stephen.s...@gmail.com wrote:

RS
    Snip ...
    Exposed? Your exposed to a comfortable ride without a parachute hanging on your shoulders! The BRS brings the whole ship down with you sitting in the cockpit! The limits on the unit I used are 1050 # total weight when deployed and no more than 130
    knots airspeed. That allows you about 20 gallons of water ballast, other BRS units allow more water.
    JJ
    You missed the joke, JJ. I was suggesting you flew naked!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David Wrinkle@21:1/5 to ginopagino on Thu Apr 14 18:38:48 2022
    On Monday, August 28, 2006 at 5:48:31 AM UTC-4, ginopagino wrote:
    Hi,
    which european medium/high performance glider would you reccommend for
    tall people?
    I am ~6.5 / 199cm and looking to buy something like a Discus but
    apparently cockpit is supersmall
    Any suggestions?
    Many Tks
    Caiuz

I'm 185cm (6'1") and am flying a glasglugel Hornet with the pedals back a couple of notches. I would think 199cm should be tolerable. This all started by sitting in other club members gliders until I found an airframe that suited me. Thankfully, I had
    a chance to sit in someone's 304. :) In full disclosure, I never felt tight with my height having made it through the ASW-15, 19, 20 along with one or two others but my width was always a show stopper. Good luck!!!

D

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05