• Re: GDL 90 on XCSoar

From Bob Kennedy@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 23 18:33:13 2022
    Last year I modified parts of the code Davis wrote to make it work on SkyEcho and one of the last things I attempted was to make it export GPS and baro data as well.

I only had the chance to test it once and it seemed to work however one other user reported that the GPS position is incorrectly transmitted.

So write me directly if interested in trying the last version I wrote.

Sadly I did not have time to check it myself, way too busy at work.

Happy landings with no airprox events ;)

Bogdan

Hi Bogdan,

I have XCSoar running on an Open Vario and I want to input the ADS-B data from the SkyEcho2 (GDL90). Appreciate your advice. It seems that uou have had some success doing something similar?

Regards,

Bob
    Australia

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Bob Kennedy@21:1/5 to bma...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 23 18:27:02 2022
    On Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 7:26:11 PM UTC+11, bma...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, January 18, 2022 at 7:02:03 AM UTC, Julian Elder wrote:
    On Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 1:57:12 PM UTC+13, davis.c...@gmail.com wrote:
    I'm looking for people to test my translation script from GDL 90 to NMEA so that a Stratux (1090/978 dual band ADS-B in) can connect and display traffic on XCSoar. If there's interest I can post some instructions. You need some experience with
    configuring XCSoar devices and placing a file on the android from a computer via USB.

I got tired of waiting for XCSoar to natively accept GDL 90 and also Stratux to output NMEA. The script is written in python and runs on the android device connected to the Stratux wifi. I also added in some text to speech to announce traffic when
    it's near.

In addition, I'm looking to test with other GDL 90 ADS-B receivers. I'm especially curious on the "Foreflight required" devices like Scout/Sentry Mini/Sentry. If anyone has one I can borrow, I'll gladly pay shipping.

Is there any interest?
    Hi can this be modified to pass gps data as well as traffic data from the Gdl90 device to xcsoar?
    Hi, Yes it deffinitely can!

Last year I modified parts of the code Davis wrote to make it work on SkyEcho and one of the last things I attempted was to make it export GPS and baro data as well.

I only had the chance to test it once and it seemed to work however one other user reported that the GPS position is incorrectly transmitted.

Bogdan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From B BRIONES@21:1/5 to Bob Kennedy on Wed Feb 22 22:12:06 2023
    On Friday, September 23, 2022 at 6:33:15 PM UTC-7, Bob Kennedy wrote:

Bogdan
    Hi Bogdan,

I have XCSoar running on an Open Vario and I want to input the ADS-B data from the SkyEcho2 (GDL90). Appreciate your advice. It seems that uou have had some success doing something similar?

Regards,

Bob
    Australia
    Bob, see https://www.control-j.com/TraffiX/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05