• R Finally Did It!

From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 14 13:44:14 2023
    May I be the first to say congratulations to Henry Redding for finally doing what the purist has been doing for years, he completed the flight around LAKE O. Came close to the MOA on the North side, but managed to get back down to Willis without starting
    his get me home motor. Good Job R, good to have you as the 5th member of the Lake O club. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 15 04:48:20 2023
    Well done, Henry! How high were the cloud bases? Good on ya Bob for suggesting this challenging task around that huge lake. Anyone wondering what the big deal is, look at a map of south Florida. The task around Lake Okeechobee is over alot of wet
    ground. When I was in Miami before I moved to Marfa in southwest Texas in 2001, we flew several times north up to middle of the state avoiding Lake Okeechobee, flying to the west of it before reconnecting with the US highway 27 "ridge" near Sebring.
    Winter and spring is the Florida "dry season" with higher cloud bases and excellent soaring. So for those who say the "soaring season is over" at the end of summer it is still cooking across the Sun Belt of the USA from Florida to California. Come south
    and fly with us! Research your winter soaring sites on the "Where To Fly" map at www.ssa.org

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to west Texas on Wed Nov 15 07:58:19 2023
    On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 7:48:24 AM UTC-5, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
    Well done, Henry! How high were the cloud bases? Good on ya Bob for suggesting this challenging task around that huge lake. Anyone wondering what the big deal is, look at a map of south Florida. The task around Lake Okeechobee is over alot of wet
    ground. When I was in Miami before I moved to Marfa in southwest Texas in 2001, we flew several times north up to middle of the state avoiding Lake Okeechobee, flying to the west of it before reconnecting with the US highway 27 "ridge" near Sebring.
    Winter and spring is the Florida "dry season" with higher cloud bases and excellent soaring. So for those who say the "soaring season is over" at the end of summer it is still cooking across the Sun Belt of the USA from Florida to California. Come south
    and fly with us! Research your winter soaring sites on the "Where To Fly" map at www.ssa.org
    Burt, yes, it is a huge lake with a lake shadow that will put you in the middle of a swamp. Glad that R has stepped up to the challenge presented by OBTP and conquered Lake O. Just remember R never did it as a PURIST, has to use his 21 meter motorglider,
    never the less he made a good flight.
    More glider pilots should come on down and accept the challenge of the lake and the 2901 MOA, if they did they might not ever go up and down HWY27 again. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Wed Nov 15 16:40:24 2023
    Might I point out that an MOA is not closed airspace? A call to the controlling agency can get you the information that the MOA is active or inactive. That said, you can still fly into an active MOA without
    consequence, other than the possibility of getting run over by a fast mover.

Dan
    5J

On 11/14/23 14:44, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    May I be the first to say congratulations to Henry Redding for finally doing what the purist has been doing for years, he completed the flight around LAKE O. Came close to the MOA on the North side, but managed to get back down to Willis without
    starting his get me home motor. Good Job R, good to have you as the 5th member of the Lake O club. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Wed Nov 15 17:46:51 2023
    On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 6:40:29 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Might I point out that an MOA is not closed airspace? A call to the controlling agency can get you the information that the MOA is active or inactive. That said, you can still fly into an active MOA without consequence, other than the possibility of getting run over by a fast mover.

Dan
    5J
    May I be the first to say congratulations to Henry Redding for finally doing what the purist has been doing for years, he completed the flight around LAKE O. Came close to the MOA on the North side, but managed to get back down to Willis without
    starting his get me home motor. Good Job R, good to have you as the 5th member of the Lake O club. Old Bob, The Purist
    I would not take a chance and fly into MOA-2910 as defined, it is RESTRICTED AIRSPACE from ground to 14K. the MOA area outside of 2901 is not restricted. The MOA-2901 is closed unless otherwise noted. There are some days when you can fly through that
    area when the bombing range is closed, sometimes on Sundays and special holidays. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Thu Nov 16 10:54:49 2023
    On 11/15/2023 5:46 PM, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Might I point out that an MOA is not closed airspace? A call to the
    controlling agency can get you the information that the MOA is active or
    inactive. That said, you can still fly into an active MOA without
    consequence, other than the possibility of getting run over by a fast mover. >>
    Dan
    5J
    I would not take a chance and fly into MOA-2910 as defined, it is RESTRICTED AIRSPACE from ground to 14K. the MOA area outside of 2901 is not restricted. The MOA-2901 is closed unless otherwise noted. There are some days when you can fly through that
    area when the bombing range is closed, sometimes on Sundays and special holidays. OBTP
    What/where is MOA-2901? My sectional shows an R-2901, but not a MOA-2901.
    Eric

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Eric G on Thu Nov 16 13:21:53 2023
    On Thursday, November 16, 2023 at 1:54:56 PM UTC-5, Eric G wrote:
    controlling agency can get you the information that the MOA is active or >> inactive. That said, you can still fly into an active MOA without

Dan
    5J
    What/where is MOA-2901? My sectional shows an R-2901, but not a MOA-2901. Eric
    Eric it is Identified as MOA2901, you may google and see for yourself. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Eric G on Thu Nov 16 13:59:39 2023
    controlling agency can get you the information that the MOA is active or >> inactive. That said, you can still fly into an active MOA without

Dan
    5J
    What/where is MOA-2901? My sectional shows an R-2901, but not a MOA-2901. Eric
    The sectional shown R-2901, it is also known as the MOA-R2901, July 29,2010 it was taken in from the MOA Meridian, Miami center refers to it as MOA R-2901. So what you are saying is that it is not part of a MOA? OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Thu Nov 16 14:49:43 2023
    On 11/16/2023 1:59 PM, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 6:40:29 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote: >>>> Might I point out that an MOA is not closed airspace? A call to the
    controlling agency can get you the information that the MOA is active or >>>> inactive. That said, you can still fly into an active MOA without

Dan
    5J
    What/where is MOA-2901? My sectional shows an R-2901, but not a MOA-2901.
    Eric
    The sectional shown R-2901, it is also known as the MOA-R2901, July 29,2010 it was taken in from the MOA Meridian, Miami center refers to it as MOA R-2901. So what you are saying is that it is not part of a MOA? OBTP
    It doesn't show on the Sectional as being in an MOA, so I believe is not part of an MOA.
    I've emailed you an image of R-5701, a restricted area on the Seattle Sectional, just
    south me in Oregon. It does show it has parts in and out of two different MOAs: BOARDMAN
    MOA and BOARDMAN AND BOARDMAN LOW MOA.
    Eric

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Eric G on Thu Nov 16 16:52:11 2023
    On Thursday, November 16, 2023 at 5:49:49 PM UTC-5, Eric G wrote:
    On 11/16/2023 1:59 PM, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Might I point out that an MOA is not closed airspace? A call to the >>>> controlling agency can get you the information that the MOA is active or
    inactive. That said, you can still fly into an active MOA without

Dan
    5J
    I would not take a chance and fly into MOA-2910 as defined, it is RESTRICTED AIRSPACE from ground to 14K. the MOA area outside of 2901 is not restricted. The MOA-2901 is closed unless otherwise noted. There are some days when you can fly through
    that area when the bombing range is closed, sometimes on Sundays and special holidays. OBTP
    What/where is MOA-2901? My sectional shows an R-2901, but not a MOA-2901. >> Eric
    It doesn't show on the Sectional as being in an MOA, so I believe is not part of an MOA.
    I've emailed you an image of R-5701, a restricted area on the Seattle Sectional, just
    south me in Oregon. It does show it has parts in and out of two different MOAs: BOARDMAN
    MOA and BOARDMAN AND BOARDMAN LOW MOA.
    Eric
    Eric, let me help you, the R2901 is a MOA RESTRICTED AREA! Yes, it shows as R-2901, it is a Restricted area because it is a restricted MOA, it is not a Barnum and Bailey Circus. Why is it restricted if it is not a Military Operational Area? You been
    taking too many mushrooms and other things advertised on RAS lately ? OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Fadden@21:1/5 to All on Fri Nov 17 06:05:55 2023
    I hesitate to join this discussion but here goes - There is no such thing as a "MOA Restricted Area". It one or the other and each has different designations and rules about entering. Is an area "restricted" because of something the military is doing?
    Probably but not always. For example, R-6604 near Wallops Island, Va. is a NASA area so, technically, not military. There is no MOA associated with it. Semantics can be important when dealing government laws, rules and regulations. Just ask the FAA.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Michael Fadden on Fri Nov 17 10:43:22 2023
    On Friday, November 17, 2023 at 9:05:57 AM UTC-5, Michael Fadden wrote:
    I hesitate to join this discussion but here goes - There is no such thing as a "MOA Restricted Area". It one or the other and each has different designations and rules about entering. Is an area "restricted" because of something the military is doing?
    Probably but not always. For example, R-6604 near Wallops Island, Va. is a NASA area so, technically, not military. There is no MOA associated with it. Semantics can be important when dealing government laws, rules and regulations. Just ask the FAA.

Mike
    Mike, the area is noted as Restricted Area any MOA can become a Restricted area for use by the military like it did here in Florida in 2009. The term that is used by the Mission Desk is Military Operating Area R-2901. How do I know this, I speak with
    these people all the time on the phone and through radio contact. I have even been given a time slot to get through the Restricted area that the military's is operating within. It may well be just semantics, but don't think the military is not operating
    there. There are two airstrips within the area one for bombing practice the other for landing. If it makes you happy I will refer to it as the R area, Henry probably will not like that nickname. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Fadden@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 18 07:58:48 2023
    I didn't mean to imply that the military isn't operating there. Clearly, it is. Just nitpicking because I had nothing better to do.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05