• AMF to rec. avation.

From John Sinclair@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 14 07:27:18 2023
    There’s nothing but gobidly goop on ras. for 2 full pages………….I’m out of here!
    I’ll be on Ras. Prime from now on.
    AMF,
    JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to John Sinclair on Tue Nov 14 10:26:46 2023
    Oh, Google Groups! Have fun, enjoy, and I'll still see your postings on
    my junk-free, uncensored, unmoderated Thunderbird news reader. Sorry it
    didn't work out for you.

Dan
    5J

On 11/14/23 08:27, John Sinclair wrote:
    AMF,
    JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric G@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Tue Nov 14 13:42:09 2023
    On 11/14/2023 9:26 AM, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Oh, Google Groups!  Have fun, enjoy, and I'll still see your postings on my junk-free,
    uncensored, unmoderated Thunderbird news reader.  Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Dan
    5J

AMF,
    JJ
    If it's junk-free, it's been censored by a moderator (eternal September for you and me).
    I'm OK with that, as the censoring seems limited to spammers and way off topic ranters .

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ramy@21:1/5 to Eric G on Tue Nov 14 14:33:46 2023
    It is tragic how idiots ruined this newsgroup which remained mostly free of spams for decades except the occasional Daryl and the such. I wonder what suddenly happened?
    I am afraid we will loose most contributors who prefer to use google groups rather than install third party apps like Thunderbird. I may be one of them, unless there is a simple iOS solution, preferably browser based. I would think that if this can be
    achieved with Thunderbird there could be a website/webapp that can provide the same spam filters and moderation?

Ramy

On Tuesday, November 14, 2023 at 1:42:36 PM UTC-8, Eric G wrote:
    Oh, Google Groups! Have fun, enjoy, and I'll still see your postings on my junk-free,
    uncensored, unmoderated Thunderbird news reader. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Dan
    5J

AMF,
    JJ
    If it's junk-free, it's been censored by a moderator (eternal September for you and me).
    I'm OK with that, as the censoring seems limited to spammers and way off topic ranters .

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Britton@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 15 04:32:30 2023
    NewsTap for iOS works great. Use Eternal September as the server and the
    spam is auto filtered out upon connection and all is right on RAS again.

I believe that Mozilla is working on a mobile Thunderbird. Believe they’re releasing for android first then iOS in the future. Don’t know the current status on those efforts.

For the here and now on iOS, NewsTap.

Britton

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric G@21:1/5 to Britton on Wed Nov 15 05:24:58 2023
    On 11/14/2023 8:32 PM, Britton wrote:
    NewsTap for iOS works great. Use Eternal September as the server and the
    spam is auto filtered out upon connection and all is right on RAS again.

I believe that Mozilla is working on a mobile Thunderbird. Believe they’re releasing for android first then iOS in the future. Don’t know the current status on those efforts.

For the here and now on iOS, NewsTap.

Britton

I use the NewsTap app on my iPhone 6. It works well, and was very easy to set up with the
    Eternal September server. I use it anytime I'm not at my desk PC.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill Tisdale@21:1/5 to Ramy on Wed Nov 15 10:18:54 2023
    On Tuesday, November 14, 2023 at 5:33:49 PM UTC-5, Ramy wrote:
    It is tragic how idiots ruined this newsgroup which remained mostly free of spams for decades except the occasional Daryl and the such. I wonder what suddenly happened?
    I am afraid we will loose most contributors who prefer to use google groups rather than install third party apps like Thunderbird. I may be one of them, unless there is a simple iOS solution, preferably browser based. I would think that if this can be
    achieved with Thunderbird there could be a website/webapp that can provide the same spam filters and moderation?

Ramy
    Oh, Google Groups! Have fun, enjoy, and I'll still see your postings on my junk-free,
    uncensored, unmoderated Thunderbird news reader. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Dan
    5J

AMF,
    JJ
    I guess I need to checkout the Thunderbird news reader. I saw somewhere a subscription is required for the news server?
    Bill

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lynn Alley@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 15 11:22:02 2023
    There just doesn't seem to be a great solution for Android phones. I've tried a couple with no success.

Setting up Eternal September was a messy process for me as well. On my browser at least, the site threw dozens of error messages during the process, which ended up working anyway.

I think RAS is dead. Long live prime.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Lynn Alley on Wed Nov 15 11:58:50 2023
    On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 2:22:05 PM UTC-5, Lynn Alley wrote:
    There just doesn't seem to be a great solution for Android phones. I've tried a couple with no success.

Setting up Eternal September was a messy process for me as well. On my browser at least, the site threw dozens of error messages during the process, which ended up working anyway.

I think RAS is dead. Long live prime.
    Something new is in the making, stay tuned. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael Price@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 15 15:38:08 2023
    It appears that all the junk postings started on the 27th. It would be a shame to force everyone to newsreaders as that created a barrier. Tried marking the spam as such back to the 27th to see if we could train google groups to block the junk. We sure
    don't want to put up technical barriers to this valuable resource! - Michael Price TrackMichael com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Ramy on Wed Nov 15 16:44:47 2023
    Won't the IOS mail app allow you to subscribe to a news reader? It
    would almost be worthwhile to see if Microsoft Mail would do it, but I
    hate Windows with such a passion that I won't even look. Maybe someone
    that uses either Apple or Windows can give the answer.

Of course, you could install Ubuntu Linux on your Apple and be free of
    all of the crap of the "Big Two". It can even be tried out by running
    it from a USB stick to see if you like it.

Dan
    5J

On 11/14/23 15:33, Ramy wrote:

Ramy

Dan
    5J

AMF,
    JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Michael Price on Wed Nov 15 16:46:54 2023
    Google Groups - Hahahahhahahhahaaaaaaaaaaa...

Dan
    5J

On 11/15/23 16:38, Michael Price wrote:
    It appears that all the junk postings started on the 27th. It would be a shame to force everyone to newsreaders as that created a barrier. Tried marking the spam as such back to the 27th to see if we could train google groups to block the junk. We
    sure don't want to put up technical barriers to this valuable resource! - Michael Price TrackMichael com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Bill Tisdale on Wed Nov 15 16:47:58 2023
    You have to sign up with eternal-september, IIRC, but there are no
    costs. It was a simple matter.

Dan
    5J

On 11/15/23 11:18, Bill Tisdale wrote:

Ramy

Dan
    5J

AMF,
    JJ
    I guess I need to checkout the Thunderbird news reader. I saw somewhere a subscription is required for the news server?
    Bill

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Sat Nov 18 04:42:19 2023
    On Wednesday, November 15, 2023 at 6:48:03 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
    You have to sign up with eternal-september, IIRC, but there are no
    costs. It was a simple matter.

Dan
    5J
    On 11/15/23 11:18, Bill Tisdale wrote:
    I am afraid we will loose most contributors who prefer to use google groups rather than install third party apps like Thunderbird. I may be one of them, unless there is a simple iOS solution, preferably browser based. I would think that if this can
    be achieved with Thunderbird there could be a website/webapp that can provide the same spam filters and moderation?

Ramy

Dan
    5J

AMF,
    JJ
    Bill
    I have had enough of the BS and spam, what once was good gathering place to get the motorglider guys all wound up has become the urinal of spam. Stirring the pot is one thing but just how many mushroom promotions can one stand? I went years just reading
    all the comments on RAS, had a great time poking the bear and laughing at responses, now the dance is coming to an end. I will go back to watching old western tv programs, pop a bit of popcorn and possibly have a few beers, excluding that Bud Light crap.
    So until this group gets back to the original discussions about sailplane or towplane related subjects I guess I will just pull the release and go off to let this hovel settle down. Not withstanding a bit more of info, our club, Treasure Coast Soaring
    Club will hold our annual meeting on Saturday the 16th December at 9.30 am , at X52 hangar. Anyone may attend, and looking forward to a good day of soaring after the meeting. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05