• Thoughts on Ceramic Coatings?

From Michael Price@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 11 14:10:25 2023
    As we approach maintenance season any thoughts on applying ceramic coatings to your gelcoat?

I see some past glider specific discussions like below but no conclusions other than they think it lasts longer (one speculated that maybe a wax top coat over the ceramic coat would be optimal for bugs). Also saw many boat gelcoat discussions which were
    positive but no one that had gone 3-4 seasons yet who could weigh in on whether it preserves the underlying gelcoat better.
    https://groups.google.com/g/rec.aviation.soaring/c/pbq7Pfs7kAM

I have heard some say that it is important to actually lightly sand the gel coat yearly to rid it of the microcracks which prolongs the life of it and ceramic coating would interfere with that unless stripping back down to the gelcoat each year which
    sort of defeats one of the benefits since they can last multiple seasons.

Your thoughts?

--
    Think Positive, Flaps Negative,
    Michael Price (MP)
    www.TrackMichael.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Michael Price on Tue Sep 12 04:31:44 2023
    On Monday, September 11, 2023 at 5:10:28 PM UTC-4, Michael Price wrote:
    As we approach maintenance season any thoughts on applying ceramic coatings to your gelcoat?

I see some past glider specific discussions like below but no conclusions other than they think it lasts longer (one speculated that maybe a wax top coat over the ceramic coat would be optimal for bugs). Also saw many boat gelcoat discussions which
    were positive but no one that had gone 3-4 seasons yet who could weigh in on whether it preserves the underlying gelcoat better.

I have heard some say that it is important to actually lightly sand the gel coat yearly to rid it of the microcracks which prolongs the life of it and ceramic coating would interfere with that unless stripping back down to the gelcoat each year which

Your thoughts?

--
    Michael Price (MP)
    www.TrackMichael.com
    Michael, just FWIW, I tried that ceramic stuff on a set of winglets that came on Eileen's ASW24, they were the original winglets not her UH super duper fancy winglets. I told the guy that convinced her to try the snakeoil, and against my wishes it was
    applied to the winglets. Within a short period of time the coloration had gone from a nice white gel to a discolored off white that was dirty yellow looking. So, what did OLD BOB, THE PURIST do? I had to sand down the gel and refinish the winglets with
    Urethane.
    Hope to see you again soon, come on down to Florida triangle territory and fly with the good guys. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charles Petersen@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Tue Sep 12 07:00:02 2023
    On Tuesday, September 12, 2023 at 7:31:47 a.m. UTC-4, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, September 11, 2023 at 5:10:28 PM UTC-4, Michael Price wrote:

I see some past glider specific discussions like below but no conclusions other than they think it lasts longer (one speculated that maybe a wax top coat over the ceramic coat would be optimal for bugs). Also saw many boat gelcoat discussions which
    were positive but no one that had gone 3-4 seasons yet who could weigh in on whether it preserves the underlying gelcoat better.

Your thoughts?

--
    Michael Price (MP)
    www.TrackMichael.com
    Michael, just FWIW, I tried that ceramic stuff on a set of winglets that came on Eileen's ASW24, they were the original winglets not her UH super duper fancy winglets. I told the guy that convinced her to try the snakeoil, and against my wishes it was
    applied to the winglets. Within a short period of time the coloration had gone from a nice white gel to a discolored off white that was dirty yellow looking. So, what did OLD BOB, THE PURIST do? I had to sand down the gel and refinish the winglets with
    Urethane.
    Hope to see you again soon, come on down to Florida triangle territory and fly with the good guys. OBTP
    I had my Cobra trailer treated about 4 years ago. It looked new for the following 2 - 3 years, but is now due for a renewal. But I have been using Meguires ceramic wax hybrid on my car and PU glider paint (https://www.meguiars.com/automotive/products/
    meguiars-hybrid-ceramic-wax-easy-use-ceramic-wax-protection-g190526-26-oz)
    I really like it, and the application is extremely easy, - wash, rinse, apply and then towel dry, subsequent is only wash, rinse, apply and rinse again. It behaves like a rinse agent at a car wash. I'm a big fan...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05