• Final Glide 7V

From John Sinclair@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 4 08:10:13 2023
    Ray Gimmy has finished his last final glide. Ray won numerous nationals and represented the US in world competition, but perhaps he is best remembered for winning the Open Nationals in 1973. The hot ship of the day was the ASW-12 and several were at
    Minden and so was new guy, Ray Gimmy flying a standard class 201 Libelle. On the last day of the competition conditions were weak and most contestants were slogging their way around a difficult task, but Ray held back, waiting for better conditions.
    About 4 PM, Cu’s started popping and Ray made his move! He won the last day and the contest!

As Charlie Spratt would say, Good Finish 7V………..Good contest, Ray

JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From mropitz1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to John Sinclair on Fri Aug 4 11:22:25 2023
    On Friday, August 4, 2023 at 11:10:16 AM UTC-4, John Sinclair wrote:
    Ray Gimmy has finished his last final glide. Ray won numerous nationals and represented the US in world competition, but perhaps he is best remembered for winning the Open Nationals in 1973. The hot ship of the day was the ASW-12 and several were at
    Minden and so was new guy, Ray Gimmy flying a standard class 201 Libelle. On the last day of the competition conditions were weak and most contestants were slogging their way around a difficult task, but Ray held back, waiting for better conditions.
    About 4 PM, Cu’s started popping and Ray made his move! He won the last day and the contest!

JJ

So sorry to hear that. He was a nice guy, good friend, WGC
    team-mate, and a tough competitor.

Blue skies and tailwinds 7V..

Mike Opitz
    RO

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hank Nixon@21:1/5 to John Sinclair on Fri Aug 4 12:32:38 2023
    On Friday, August 4, 2023 at 11:10:16 AM UTC-4, John Sinclair wrote:

JJ

Ray gave me some terrific advice one day. I was leading the nationals and was way beyond nervous. He saw that and came over and said "just go have fun". I did my best to follow his wisdom. Later he came over and said " I told you so". What a guy.
    Good life 7 Victor
    UH

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill Hill@21:1/5 to John Sinclair on Fri Aug 4 21:13:44 2023
    On Friday, August 4, 2023 at 9:10:16 AM UTC-6, John Sinclair wrote:

JJ
    Some time after Ray won the open nats at Minden, Karl Stridick said that the ASW-15, not the Libelle, was the best of the Standard Class to which I replied (in SOARING.) The standard Libelle is the best of the Open class. Ray on the other hand, was in
    a class by himself.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From BG@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 5 08:20:24 2023
    Sorry to hear about Ray's passing, he was one of my idles in soaring. When I had a chance to meet him in person, not only was he a great pilot , but a person in general. We spent hours talking about flying as he shared his local knowledge.

Buzz Graves

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Makoto Ichikawa@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 13 03:37:33 2023
    2023年8月6日日曜日 1:20:27 UTC+10 BG:
    Sorry to hear about Ray's passing, he was one of my idles in soaring. When I had a chance to meet him in person, not only was he a great pilot , but a person in general. We spent hours talking about flying as he shared his local knowledge.

Buzz Graves

So sorry to hear about Ray's passing. I met him in many WGCs and US Nationals I flew in Uvalde. As Hank wrote, he always had a very nice smile, even after a very difficult retrieve. He was always enjoying himself. Special fond memories... RIP 7V.
    Mak

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tony@21:1/5 to Makoto Ichikawa on Sun Aug 13 18:22:10 2023
    On Sunday, August 13, 2023 at 5:37:36 AM UTC-5, Makoto Ichikawa wrote:

Buzz Graves
    So sorry to hear about Ray's passing. I met him in many WGCs and US Nationals I flew in Uvalde. As Hank wrote, he always had a very nice smile, even after a very difficult retrieve. He was always enjoying himself. Special fond memories... RIP 7V.
    Mak
    I have a Winter Barograph that I bought from Ray in 2010. Last time it was used was at the WGC in Sweden in 1993. I thought it would be a good fit for the Cherokee. RIP 7V

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Tony on Thu Aug 17 17:10:04 2023
    On Sunday, August 13, 2023 at 6:22:13 PM UTC-7, Tony wrote:

Buzz Graves
    Mak
    I have a Winter Barograph that I bought from Ray in 2010. Last time it was used was at the WGC in Sweden in 1993. I thought it would be a good fit for the Cherokee. RIP 7V

My favorite story about Ray was listening to him talk about his previous day's flight at the Open Class Nationals in Minden one year. He described how, at 400 ft, he was turning final to land on the shores of Mono Lake when he felt a bump. He kept on
    turning and slowly worked his way up in the thermal. He escaped from Mono Lake and won the day! I think he ended up winning the contest. Remarkable!\

Tom 2G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nicholas Kennedy@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 17 17:48:24 2023
    RIP Ray Gimmy
    I met Ray at one of the first Parowan contests.
    I tied down next to him.
    In the mornings I would pick his brain about contest flying topics and he took the time to give me some really good lessons and information.
    And the classic ways to screw up.
    He went out of his way to help me get started and I always appreciated that.
    He was a real class act.
    Nick
    T

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From mropitz1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 17 19:37:29 2023
    On Thursday, August 17, 2023 at 8:10:07 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
    On Sunday, August 13, 2023 at 6:22:13 PM UTC-7, Tony wrote:

Buzz Graves
    Mak
    My favorite story about Ray was listening to him talk about his previous day's flight at the Open Class Nationals in Minden one year. He described how, at 400 ft, he was turning final to land on the shores of Mono Lake when he felt a bump. He kept on
    turning and slowly worked his way up in the thermal. He escaped from Mono Lake and won the day! I think he ended up winning the contest. Remarkable!\

Tom 2G

He did that more than once. We had one real tough day at
    the 1988 Standard Class Nationals in Minden. After he
    landed, he came over and told me that he was about 200-
    300 feet high, and was set up to land on a dirt road when
    he hit a 10 Kt thermal which won him the day, and eventually
    the contest. IIRC, I had been in the lead up until that day
    when I "fell in a hole" and came back with a relatively slow
    time.

Mike Opitz
    RO

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From noelle@williamssoaring.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 18 08:47:44 2023
    A celebration of life honoring Ray Gimmey "7V" will be held at Williams Soaring Center on Saturday September 9th

If you have photos you'd like to share with his family, please email to info@williamssoaring.com

In lieu of flowers the family asks donations be made to the USA Soaring Team in memory of Ray.
    https://www.ssa.org/product/give-a-donation/ Please select US Teams: General

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark628CA@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 18 10:09:57 2023
    I only met Ray a couple of times. The first was at the 1991 SSA Convention in Albuquerque, where I was invited to display my hang glider in the exhibit hall. Ray stopped by with a few questions, and we had a nice conversation. I mentioned that I had
    shared a thermal with him a few years before. He skeptically replied that he had only thermalled with hang gliders a couple of times and asked where it might have happened. I said, "It was over the Porepunkah turnpoint in 1987, during the FAI World
    Championships out of Benalla, Victoria (Australia). You and Doug Jacobs joined me a bit above and we took the lift up for a few thousand feet." (The hang gliders were competing in the FAI Pre-World Championships from Mt. Buffalo.)

Ray laughed, and said he remembered it well. As he was walking away, some other guy asked him why he was "wasting time talking to hang glider pilots. I'll never forget his response. He said, "When their knees wear out, they'll probably save soaring."

Thanks, Ray.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05