• XC SOAR VARIOMETER

From miltonpilot JLH@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 26 15:05:17 2023
    Is anyone using one of these variometers? Ideally, I would like to talk with someone who has flown with one.
    https://xcvario.com/product/xcvario-80mm-with-cable/
    JLH/H4

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Moshe Braner@21:1/5 to miltonpilot JLH on Wed Jul 26 21:16:56 2023
    On 7/26/2023 6:05 PM, miltonpilot JLH wrote:
    Is anyone using one of these variometers? Ideally, I would like to talk with someone who has flown with one.
    JLH/H4

That's good news, I was hoping they'll come out with an 80mm version.
    We bought the 57mm version last winter and eventually installed it in
    the glider and flew with it once so far. Nice unit with a lot of
    connectivity options. The software is open-source so I just "had to"
    make my own version... (Simplified the FLARM warning screen, added even
    more connectivity options.) Note: it is "XCvario" not "XCsoar vario".
    It does work well with XCsoar, and also with (a modified version of) Tophat.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kerry Richards@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 26 19:40:57 2023
    I have an early version of the 57 mm vario. (Purchased about Feb 2021.) I bought it to replace my dead mechanical back up vario primarily because it was inexpensive. It was a new product at the time, so I though it was a bit of a gamble. What an
    amazing deal this turned out to be. First off, I was able to install it and get it running myself, which means it is almost idiot proof. It provides so much more info than the mechanical vario: audio, push pull commands, temperature, altitude, air
    speed, and even battery voltage. Basically, not only is it my back up vario, but this one instrument also backs up every other instrument that is important to me. My first season, I did not think that the push/pull commands worked well. There was a
    software upgrade at the end of the season, and now it seems to track well with my 302. I have flown AirSailing, Truckee, and Ephrata, so no problem with screen visibility in bright sunlight. Nor has the screen crapped out due to the heat. I bought the
    artificial horizon license. The vario connects easily with a PDA running XC Soar via Bluetooth. I use it for thermalling practice - it helps train me to keep a constant bank angle. I also bought the compass module, hoping that it would result in
    better wind data. Unfortunately, I have yet to get it to operate properly. It appears that there is a new software update, and new calibration procedure. Maybe that will do the trick.

I am thinking seriously of replacing my 57 mm version with the 80 mm version. Although the screen is bright, clear, and easy to read, there is so much data displayed on the screen it is a bit crowded. Besides, I had to buy a 57 mm adapter to put the 57
    mm vario into an 80 mm hole, so now that an 80 mm version is available, it just makes sense to get the new version, right? (I believe that is called "rationalization". But, hey, any excuse for a new toy is a good excuse.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Carris@21:1/5 to miltonpilot JLH on Sun Jul 30 21:34:31 2023
    On Wednesday, July 26, 2023 at 4:05:20 PM UTC-6, miltonpilot JLH wrote:
    JLH/H4

Great vario!
    I have a 57mm, and for the price nothing comes close-in my humble opinion.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From miltonpilot JLH@21:1/5 to Mike Carris on Sun Jul 30 22:37:56 2023
    On Sunday, July 30, 2023 at 9:34:34 PM UTC-7, Mike Carris wrote:
    On Wednesday, July 26, 2023 at 4:05:20 PM UTC-6, miltonpilot JLH wrote:
    JLH/H4
    Great vario!
    I have a 57mm, and for the price nothing comes close-in my humble opinion.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I have placed an order for the 80mm which will fit perfectly in the same spot as the vario it is replacing. JLH/H4

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From wyllsurf@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Moshe Braner on Sat Aug 12 07:46:10 2023
    @Mosha, where might I be able to get this modified version of TopHat? Just installed an XCVario and looking to be able to use it with TopHat.

Thanks,

Wyll Soll

On Wednesday, July 26, 2023 at 6:17:00 PM UTC-7, Moshe Braner wrote:
    On 7/26/2023 6:05 PM, miltonpilot JLH wrote:
    JLH/H4

That's good news, I was hoping they'll come out with an 80mm version.
    We bought the 57mm version last winter and eventually installed it in
    the glider and flew with it once so far. Nice unit with a lot of connectivity options. The software is open-source so I just "had to"
    make my own version... (Simplified the FLARM warning screen, added even
    more connectivity options.) Note: it is "XCvario" not "XCsoar vario".
    It does work well with XCsoar, and also with (a modified version of) Tophat.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05