• Panel Layout

From Jeff Bures@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 24 10:11:14 2023
    In my limited free time, I like to think about retirement and plan for our eventual relocation to Florida. I plan to purchase a modest sailplane and continue to fly around the state where I first earned my certificate.

This 'modest glider' is usually a Standard Cirrus, LS-3, PIK-20, or Centrair Pegase. Part of the plan is to install a new panel with fresh instruments. Playing around with CAD, I've created many layouts. But I've been curious about certain things.

Some questions:

1. Does having a radio with 'remote head' in the panel and transceiver elsewhere provide a benefit? How? Space, W&B, interference?

2. Same for Transponder/ADS-B...

3. Other than ergonomics, does the compass location matter? Is there a likelihood of impeded performance if placed close to other instruments? If so, which instruments? Is there a general rule of thumb for distance? Is this the reason some compasses
    are on top of the panel (or is that just space saving)?

Thanks for any replies.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Gianni Isotope@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 24 10:33:57 2023
    If panel space is a serious issue, Air Avionics has a single remote head that can control a remote radio, transponder and (electronic) altimeter. If you're looking to install a larger flight computer display in the panel, such as an LX9070, you may
    benefit from one of these puppies. http://www.foxonecorp.com/index.php/butterfly-avionics

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jeff Bures@21:1/5 to Gianni Isotope on Mon Jul 24 10:58:40 2023
    On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 10:34:00 AM UTC-7, Gianni Isotope wrote:
    If panel space is a serious issue, Air Avionics has a single remote head that can control a remote radio, transponder and (electronic) altimeter. If you're looking to install a larger flight computer display in the panel, such as an LX9070, you may
    benefit from one of these puppies.
    http://www.foxonecorp.com/index.php/butterfly-avionics

Yes, I like the Air Avionics product. I'm looking at many different options and budgets. Currently my favorite is LXNAV Air Data (airspeed and altimeter), S100 Vario, and vertical card compass. Adding in FLARM and ADS-B gets expensive and there are a
    few different ADS-B strategies.

It would be cool if the uAvionix TailBeaconX was compatible with the Air Avionics head unit.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05