• RV + Trailer OAL

From Roy B.@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 23 11:41:36 2023
    Friends;
    We are beginning to think about going to a larger size RV ( my current is 24') and I know that some of you have pretty big Class A units that you use to pull your glider trailers. My question: Are there any overall length restrictions (RV + Trailer) on
    highways that are out there? Is it a federal issue? Or does it vary from state to state?
    Thanks
    ROY

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Roy B. on Sun Jul 23 14:33:25 2023
    It varies from state to state. When we had an RV I checked into towing
    my glider behind my car behind the (24') RV. Not in New Mexico. It was
    too long by several feet.

The guy at one of the local trailer sales places told me that he's
    gotten a lot of tickets either in Colorado or New Mexico for towing a
    rig that's too long transporting trailers from the factory to his sales lot.

Check with the motor vehicle divisions of each state that you plan to
    travel through.

Dan
    5J

On 7/23/23 12:41, Roy B. wrote:
    Friends;
    We are beginning to think about going to a larger size RV ( my current is 24') and I know that some of you have pretty big Class A units that you use to pull your glider trailers. My question: Are there any overall length restrictions (RV + Trailer) on
    highways that are out there? Is it a federal issue? Or does it vary from state to state?
    Thanks
    ROY

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark628CA@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 23 14:24:06 2023
    What is the maximum trailer length in New Mexico?
    New Mexico Trailer Dimension Laws

Total length: 65 feet; trailer length: 40 feet (includes bumpers); width: 102 inches (allows outside width to exceed 102 inches if the excess is due to an appurtenance); height: 14 feet.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark628CA@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Sun Jul 23 14:20:01 2023
    On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 2:33:30 PM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:

Dan- That didn't sound right to me, so I looked up the NM Trailer Regulations. It states that the maximum tow vehicle + trailer length is 65 feet, with a max trailer length of 40 ft. So, a 24 ft RV with a typical 32 ft. sailplane trailer is 9 feet under
    the legal limit. However, I can certainly understand why the NM MVD would tell you differently. The State bureaucracy makes shit up all the time rather than put out the effort to look up the law or regulation. A process they have copied from the FAA (
    among others.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From s.bralla.ret@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 23 20:13:34 2023
    On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 2:20:03 PM UTC-7, Mark628CA wrote:

Dan- That didn't sound right to me, so I looked up the NM Trailer Regulations. It states that the maximum tow vehicle + trailer length is 65 feet, with a max trailer length of 40 ft. So, a 24 ft RV with a typical 32 ft. sailplane trailer is 9 feet
    under the legal limit. However, I can certainly understand why the NM MVD would tell you differently. The State bureaucracy makes shit up all the time rather than put out the effort to look up the law or regulation. A process they have copied from the
    FAA (among others.)

Read his posting again. A 24' RV, car and a glider trailer. Not DMV or FAA not putting in the effort to read the posting.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to s.bral...@gmail.com on Sun Jul 23 22:27:16 2023
    On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 8:13:36 PM UTC-7, s.bral...@gmail.com wrote:
    It varies from state to state. When we had an RV I checked into towing my glider behind my car behind the (24') RV. Not in New Mexico. It was too long by several feet.

Dan- That didn't sound right to me, so I looked up the NM Trailer Regulations. It states that the maximum tow vehicle + trailer length is 65 feet, with a max trailer length of 40 ft. So, a 24 ft RV with a typical 32 ft. sailplane trailer is 9 feet
    under the legal limit. However, I can certainly understand why the NM MVD would tell you differently. The State bureaucracy makes shit up all the time rather than put out the effort to look up the law or regulation. A process they have copied from the
    FAA (among others.)
    Read his posting again. A 24' RV, car and a glider trailer. Not DMV or FAA not putting in the effort to read the posting.

That's called double combination towing (triple towing by some). Towing regulations vary by state, so you need to know the laws of EACH state that you tow thru. This explains it reasonably well:
    https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/triple_towing/

Tom 2G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Glenn Betzoldt@21:1/5 to Roy B. on Mon Jul 24 04:00:57 2023
    On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 2:41:38 PM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
    Friends;
    Thanks
    ROY
    Roy, get the RV you want and don’t worry about length. A lot of us have big rigs and don’t have any problems, they aren’t looking to bust you. My total length was 73’

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 24 10:09:09 2023
    Mark,

You missed the part about trailer behind CAR behind RV - a road train
    for our Aussie brethren. Adding the length of my car put the rig over
    the limit.

On another topic, I asked NMDOT (Aviation Division) if there was any law preventing me from landing on public roads. The answer was, "No, just
    be careful." I printed that email and carry it in my gyro...

Dan
    5J

On 7/23/23 15:20, Mark628CA wrote:

FAA (among others.)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 24 10:16:59 2023
    Thanks for that post, Tom.

OH, and don't try to back that rig up unless you're reeeeeeally good!

Dan
    5J

On 7/23/23 23:27, 2G wrote:
    It varies from state to state. When we had an RV I checked into towing >>>> my glider behind my car behind the (24') RV. Not in New Mexico. It was >>>> too long by several feet.

FAA (among others.)

That's called double combination towing (triple towing by some). Towing regulations vary by state, so you need to know the laws of EACH state that you tow thru. This explains it reasonably well:

Tom 2G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Leonard@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 26 08:24:39 2023
    On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 4:24:08 PM UTC-5, Mark628CA wrote:
    What is the maximum trailer length in New Mexico?
    New Mexico Trailer Dimension Laws

Total length: 65 feet; trailer length: 40 feet (includes bumpers); width: 102 inches (allows outside width to exceed 102 inches if the excess is due to an appurtenance); height: 14 feet.

I am assuming those numbers don't apply to commercial trucking? Because the standard there now seems to be a 53 foot trailer. And there are literally 10s of thousands of them going across the state every week.

Good to know I was under when pulling my 604 trailer(s) across NM!

Steve Leonard

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Wed Jul 26 17:53:12 2023
    On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 9:17:04 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
    Thanks for that post, Tom.

OH, and don't try to back that rig up unless you're reeeeeeally good!

Dan
    5J
    On 7/23/23 23:27, 2G wrote:
    It varies from state to state. When we had an RV I checked into towing >>>> my glider behind my car behind the (24') RV. Not in New Mexico. It was >>>> too long by several feet.

FAA (among others.)

Tom 2G

And this guy is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYZXNNAry40
    And this guy explains how to do it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkyASVHd4xU

Tom

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05