• Etiquette for visiting other clubs

From Larry Ruggiero@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 23 08:52:53 2023
    Okay, I want to be clear this isn’t about bashing self launchers per se, but demonstrates what many of us feel about regarding the loss of team cooperation their proliferation has brought to soaring. To be clear, it only takes a few bad apples to spoil
    our historically fine sport. This past week, our club at KSPA endured a visit from someone out of state who really showed his arse. First, he barely made an effort to reach out to us at Carolina Soaring about our operation; when queried (in a minute the
    why” will become clear), he stated “it’s a public use airport,” implying he could do as he pleased. That meant that when we showed for a midweek lesson, we found both his self-launch glider and trailer tied down at the mid point of the side
    grass strip we use at KSPA, and the owner nowhere to be found. His rig was barely a wingspan away from our takeoff zone. He had at least 50ft behind him he could’ve tied down at. If he hadn’t been so securely tied down with covers on, etc, we would’
    ve moved him ourselves, but didn’t want the hassle. We made repeated attempts to reach him by tracking his N number registration, and when finally reached, he refused to move his rig. We flew anyway and we’re safe enough but the increase pucker
    factor was totally unnecessary. Had he bothered to properly inquire, some of us would’ve gladly shown up and help him rig/tie down where we normally stage at. Airport management, thinking he was part of us, just directed him to where we normally
    operate, assuming he’d rig where we do, which is by agreement with management. He still could’ve self-taxied from there, or towed to the other side like we do.

Point is, let’s be the good operators and stewards of our fine sport, particularly as visitors. Just because we think we can operate how we’d prefer at a public use airport doesn’t mean we should ignore club rules of engagement.

Larry Ruggiero, Carolina Soaring Association
    Spartanburg SC

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Mark628CA@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 23 09:05:42 2023
    This is not an unusual incident at many "destination" soaring operations. All too often, clueless visitors disrupt normal procedures, and require polite, but firm, instruction about how to blend in with minimal impact on established operations. When in
    Rome......

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 23 12:27:38 2023
    On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 12:05:45 PM UTC-4, Mark628CA wrote:
    This is not an unusual incident at many "destination" soaring operations. All too often, clueless visitors disrupt normal procedures, and require polite, but firm, instruction about how to blend in with minimal impact on established operations. When in
    Rome......
    Both Larry and Mark make excellent points of view in regarding operational behavior at glider operations both private and public. Our club has experienced incidents where some pilots motor to the front of the line or just wait their turn. I have much
    more respect for those that wait their turn and contribute to the operation of the club.
    Why should and member or visitor be given instruction about lending a helping hand, after all soaring is a social activity that requires many to operate and function smoothly.
    Bring you self launch to Vero, pull in front of those waiting for a tow and you will find an angry old tow pilot with a Pawnee parked in front of your sorry butt and taking a lunch break. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Roy B.@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 23 14:06:37 2023
    Hi Larry.
    There is really nothing new about this in our sport. Many years ago a friend told me, "There are two kinds of people in this sport - 'givers' and 'takers'". We all know who the givers are. We all occasionally have to tolerate the takers. I'm sorry
    your club got visited by one.
    ROY

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sun Jul 23 16:03:39 2023
    On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 12:27:40 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    This is not an unusual incident at many "destination" soaring operations. All too often, clueless visitors disrupt normal procedures, and require polite, but firm, instruction about how to blend in with minimal impact on established operations. When
    in Rome......
    Both Larry and Mark make excellent points of view in regarding operational behavior at glider operations both private and public. Our club has experienced incidents where some pilots motor to the front of the line or just wait their turn. I have much
    more respect for those that wait their turn and contribute to the operation of the club.
    Why should and member or visitor be given instruction about lending a helping hand, after all soaring is a social activity that requires many to operate and function smoothly.
    Bring you self launch to Vero, pull in front of those waiting for a tow and you will find an angry old tow pilot with a Pawnee parked in front of your sorry butt and taking a lunch break. OBTP
    "Why should and member or visitor be given instruction about lending a helping hand," Members should already know the procedures, but a visitor is unlikely to know or guess correctly about the procedures, as they can vary greatly from one place to
    another. Many clubs publish their procedures on their website, making it a lot easier for a visitor to do the right thing.

Most of the places I've flown recently (Ely, Parowan, Williams, Methow State, Ephrata, Siskiyou), it's easy for towed and self-launchers to share the runway. One line for towed gliders, one line for self-launchers, with towed having priority, but even
    with three tow planes, there are plenty of opportunities for the self-launchers to take off, as they occupy the runway for only 30-40 seconds, much less time than a towed launch. Hibiscus is tiny by comparison to those sites, so two lines may not be
    practical; however, letting a self-launcher move to near the front of the line (instead of "waiting his turn") won't significantly delay the towed launches.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Roy B. on Sun Jul 23 15:37:22 2023
    On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 2:06:40 PM UTC-7, Roy B. wrote:
    Hi Larry.
    There is really nothing new about this in our sport. Many years ago a friend told me, "There are two kinds of people in this sport - 'givers' and 'takers'". We all know who the givers are. We all occasionally have to tolerate the takers. I'm sorry your
    club got visited by one.
    ROY

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Sun Jul 23 16:08:32 2023
    On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 7:03:42 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    This is not an unusual incident at many "destination" soaring operations. All too often, clueless visitors disrupt normal procedures, and require polite, but firm, instruction about how to blend in with minimal impact on established operations.
    When in Rome......
    "Why should and member or visitor be given instruction about lending a helping hand," Members should already know the procedures, but a visitor is unlikely to know or guess correctly about the procedures, as they can vary greatly from one place to
    another. Many clubs publish their procedures on their website, making it a lot easier for a visitor to do the right thing.

Most of the places I've flown recently (Ely, Parowan, Williams, Methow State, Ephrata, Siskiyou), it's easy for towed and self-launchers to share the runway. One line for towed gliders, one line for self-launchers, with towed having priority, but even
    with three tow planes, there are plenty of opportunities for the self-launchers to take off, as they occupy the runway for only 30-40 seconds, much less time than a towed launch. Hibiscus is tiny by comparison to those sites, so two lines may not be
    practical; however, letting a self-launcher move to near the front of the line (instead of "waiting his turn") won't significantly delay the towed launches.
    Maybe you should read between the lines Eric. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From stephen.szikora.t3@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Larry Ruggiero on Sun Jul 23 19:33:34 2023
    On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 11:52:55 AM UTC-4, Larry Ruggiero wrote:
    … We made repeated attempts to reach him by tracking his N number registration, and when finally reached, he refused to move his rig.

Name and shame!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AS@21:1/5 to stephen.s...@gmail.com on Mon Jul 24 10:13:53 2023
    On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 10:33:36 PM UTC-4, stephen.s...@gmail.com wrote:
    … We made repeated attempts to reach him by tracking his N number registration, and when finally reached, he refused to move his rig.

Name and shame!
    Nahh - we don't need to go there (yet)!
    But to add some more details: when he called me on the club's number several weeks ago, I offered to come out and help him find an appropriate spot so he is not in anybody's the way. That was declined! I also offered to do an orientation flight with him.
    That was declined. too! When we asked him to move his glider and trailer to a more appropriate place and even offered our help, he replied that I was 'uninviting' and he only did what the airport manager told him to do. Buddy - that argument didn't hold
    water 1945 in Nuremburg - why would it now? Sorry we didn't roll out the red carpet!
    BTW - the airport manager has no recollection of talking to him. I am yet to find out whom he actually talked to.
    The grass-strip he partially blocked is not only used by us. Sometimes, Ultralights and tail-draggers use it to hone their skills in landing on grass. We are skating on thin ice with our operation at this busy airport and any infraction is counting
    against us - club member or not!
    N'uff said!

Uli
    'AS'

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 24 15:30:42 2023
    On Monday, July 24, 2023 at 1:13:56 PM UTC-4, AS wrote:
    On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 10:33:36 PM UTC-4, stephen.s...@gmail.com wrote:

Name and shame!
    Nahh - we don't need to go there (yet)!
    But to add some more details: when he called me on the club's number several weeks ago, I offered to come out and help him find an appropriate spot so he is not in anybody's the way. That was declined! I also offered to do an orientation flight with
    him. That was declined. too! When we asked him to move his glider and trailer to a more appropriate place and even offered our help, he replied that I was 'uninviting' and he only did what the airport manager told him to do. Buddy - that argument didn't
    hold water 1945 in Nuremburg - why would it now? Sorry we didn't roll out the red carpet!
    BTW - the airport manager has no recollection of talking to him. I am yet to find out whom he actually talked to.
    The grass-strip he partially blocked is not only used by us. Sometimes, Ultralights and tail-draggers use it to hone their skills in landing on grass. We are skating on thin ice with our operation at this busy airport and any infraction is counting
    against us - club member or not!
    N'uff said!

Uli
    'AS'
    Time has come, name that tune and lets stop all the speculation. All clubs should be advised of this pilot and it would even be better if the guy came out and told his side of the story. I hate to tell you guys this but I will be away for a few days
    starting August 3rd, hope to return soon afterwards. Sure would like to be advised of more details, certainly might help other clubs just in case of an unfriendly visit. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jfitch@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Wed Jul 26 08:34:41 2023
    This is not an unusual incident at many "destination" soaring operations. All too often, clueless visitors disrupt normal procedures, and require polite, but firm, instruction about how to blend in with minimal impact on established operations. When
    in Rome......
    "Bring you self launch to Vero, pull in front of those waiting for a tow and you will find an angry old tow pilot with a Pawnee parked in front of your sorry butt and taking a lunch break."

Old Bob, that is just pure spite. Of course a visiting pilot, motorglider or towed glider, should coordinate to fit into the existing operation. I do not excuse for a second the behavior described in the OP. However if motorgliders are not allowed to
    self launch in the gaps between tows without any reason other than "waiting your turn", then that is not a friendly gliderport. Note that I did not say "not a motorglider friendly gliderport", I said "not a friendly gliderport". It does not delay tows
    for even a second and harms no one.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to jfitch on Wed Jul 26 16:49:47 2023
    On Wednesday, July 26, 2023 at 11:34:44 AM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:
    This is not an unusual incident at many "destination" soaring operations. All too often, clueless visitors disrupt normal procedures, and require polite, but firm, instruction about how to blend in with minimal impact on established operations.
    When in Rome......
    "Bring you self launch to Vero, pull in front of those waiting for a tow and you will find an angry old tow pilot with a Pawnee parked in front of your sorry butt and taking a lunch break."
    Old Bob, that is just pure spite. Of course a visiting pilot, motorglider or towed glider, should coordinate to fit into the existing operation. I do not excuse for a second the behavior described in the OP. However if motorgliders are not allowed to
    self launch in the gaps between tows without any reason other than "waiting your turn", then that is not a friendly gliderport. Note that I did not say "not a motorglider friendly gliderport", I said "not a friendly gliderport". It does not delay tows
    Fitch, Bro, when a person is sitting in their JS3 and some MG guy scoots in front and is there waiting while the tow plane is on final, then we have a problem! Pull that crap on me and I will rub peanut butter on the leading edge of you wings, just ask
    the late Andy McQuigg, wait your turn for takeoff. Fitch, you MG guys are not privileged, get in line or get the hell out of the way. Old Bob, The Purist

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Wed Jul 26 22:04:44 2023
    On Wednesday, July 26, 2023 at 4:49:50 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    When in Rome......
    Both Larry and Mark make excellent points of view in regarding operational behavior at glider operations both private and public. Our club has experienced incidents where some pilots motor to the front of the line or just wait their turn. I have
    much more respect for those that wait their turn and contribute to the operation of the club.
    Fitch, Bro, when a person is sitting in their JS3 and some MG guy scoots in front and is there waiting while the tow plane is on final, then we have a problem! Pull that crap on me and I will rub peanut butter on the leading edge of you wings, just ask
    the late Andy McQuigg, wait your turn for takeoff. Fitch, you MG guys are not privileged, get in line or get the hell out of the way. Old Bob, The Purist

Hey Booby, FARs are VERY CLEAR about this: a landing aircraft has priority over all other aircraft on the ground - don't you KNOW this? If not, you should surrender your certificate and begin training all over again.

Tom 2G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark628CA@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 27 05:29:43 2023
    At Moriarty, we encourage the motorglider guys to take off as soon as they can to avoid taking up tiedown space and eliminate congestion in the staging area. On busy days, it's nice to see a motorglider taxi out and launch right after a towplane/glider
    lifts off, without blocking the line of gliders pushing out, removing wing wheels and dollies, putting on parachutes and preparing instruments. They stay out of the way and go immediately after firing up. Much more efficient, and nobody gets pissed, or
    even notices.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jfitch@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Thu Jul 27 07:47:30 2023
    When in Rome......
    Both Larry and Mark make excellent points of view in regarding operational behavior at glider operations both private and public. Our club has experienced incidents where some pilots motor to the front of the line or just wait their turn. I have
    much more respect for those that wait their turn and contribute to the operation of the club.
    Well Bob, it sounds like you run a very inefficient operation there. An idle runway is a wasting asset. By making the self launchers wait in line with the towed gliders, you are virtually guaranteeing that the towed gliders behind them will get a later
    launch than otherwise: the MG will need to get staged by hand, run up, occupy the runway for a period of time that could have been used to tow a glider. Yes, the MG pilot must chose a truly idle interval on the runway, but at most glider operations
    there are plenty of those. If he just pushes in front of an idling tow plane, that is bad form, as it would be for a towed glider. Otherwise your policy is just wasting everyone's time, including your prized "pure" glider customers. So it still sounds
    like pure spite to me - your opinions on motorgliders are well known. You really should try flying one someday.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to jfitch on Thu Jul 27 09:05:31 2023
    On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 10:47:33 AM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:
    When in Rome......
    Old Bob, that is just pure spite. Of course a visiting pilot, motorglider or towed glider, should coordinate to fit into the existing operation. I do not excuse for a second the behavior described in the OP. However if motorgliders are not allowed
    to self launch in the gaps between tows without any reason other than "waiting your turn", then that is not a friendly gliderport. Note that I did not say "not a motorglider friendly gliderport", I said "not a friendly gliderport". It does not delay tows
    Fitch, Bro, when a person is sitting in their JS3 and some MG guy scoots in front and is there waiting while the tow plane is on final, then we have a problem! Pull that crap on me and I will rub peanut butter on the leading edge of you wings, just
    ask the late Andy McQuigg, wait your turn for takeoff. Fitch, you MG guys are not privileged, get in line or get the hell out of the way. Old Bob, The Purist
    Well Bob, it sounds like you run a very inefficient operation there. An idle runway is a wasting asset. By making the self launchers wait in line with the towed gliders, you are virtually guaranteeing that the towed gliders behind them will get a later
    launch than otherwise: the MG will need to get staged by hand, run up, occupy the runway for a period of time that could have been used to tow a glider. Yes, the MG pilot must chose a truly idle interval on the runway, but at most glider operations there
    are plenty of those. If he just pushes in front of an idling tow plane, that is bad form, as it would be for a towed glider. Otherwise your policy is just wasting everyone's time, including your prized "pure" glider customers. So it still sounds like
    pure spite to me - your opinions on motorgliders are well known. You really should try flying one someday.
    Fitch, yes it is not only bad form but rude and inconsiderate to just jump to the front of the line, as I have stated I have once used the peanut butter and would not hesitate to do so again. We agree on one aspect of this discussion and it doesn't
    matter if it is a motorglider or pure glider the inconsideration is the same. No, we don't run a different operation here than most others, our operation runs smoothly and efficiently as most any other, our policy is the same for all, get in line and wait your turn. We operate off one runway, don't have the luxury of a R or L 36-
    18, now if the Motorglider pilot was kind and respectful enough to make contact and as permission to jump to the front of the line we would certainly take that request into consideration, but don't just pass along the side of the waiting line and think
    that you are some kind of privileged dude, be respectful, I guess the guys where you fly cannot understand that concept. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Thu Jul 27 14:12:44 2023
    There are any number of uncontrolled airports where a motor glider which
    has the ability to taxi can launch and recover. Other than the
    camaraderie of being with other glider pilots, there's no need to hassle
    with a dedicated glider operation. I've launched and landed my Stemme
    at Class D airports, and airports with airline traffic, as well as uncontrolled. No worries as long as you work into the flow. Just like
    with powered airplanes.

Moriarty has plenty of pavement to suit all. And, since runway behind
    you is useless, I taxi to the far east end of the runway, around 2,500'
    from the standard glider launch point. When the tug has either just
    landed or taken off, I taxi on to the runway (after checking the
    pattern) and proceed. I'm also well airborne before passing the glider
    launch point.

Dan
    5J

On 7/27/23 13:42, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 9:05:33 AM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, July 23, 2023 at 12:05:45 PM UTC-4, Mark628CA wrote: >>>>>>> This is not an unusual incident at many "destination" soaring operations. All too often, clueless visitors disrupt normal procedures, and require polite, but firm, instruction about how to blend in with minimal impact on established operations.
    When in Rome......
    Old Bob, that is just pure spite. Of course a visiting pilot, motorglider or towed glider, should coordinate to fit into the existing operation. I do not excuse for a second the behavior described in the OP. However if motorgliders are not allowed
    to self launch in the gaps between tows without any reason other than "waiting your turn", then that is not a friendly gliderport. Note that I did not say "not a motorglider friendly gliderport", I said "not a friendly gliderport". It does not delay tows
    Fitch, Bro, when a person is sitting in their JS3 and some MG guy scoots in front and is there waiting while the tow plane is on final, then we have a problem! Pull that crap on me and I will rub peanut butter on the leading edge of you wings, just
    ask the late Andy McQuigg, wait your turn for takeoff. Fitch, you MG guys are not privileged, get in line or get the hell out of the way. Old Bob, The Purist
    Well Bob, it sounds like you run a very inefficient operation there. An idle runway is a wasting asset. By making the self launchers wait in line with the towed gliders, you are virtually guaranteeing that the towed gliders behind them will get a
    later launch than otherwise: the MG will need to get staged by hand, run up, occupy the runway for a period of time that could have been used to tow a glider. Yes, the MG pilot must chose a truly idle interval on the runway, but at most glider operations
    there are plenty of those. If he just pushes in front of an idling tow plane, that is bad form, as it would be for a towed glider. Otherwise your policy is just wasting everyone's time, including your prized "pure" glider customers. So it still sounds
    like pure spite to me - your opinions on motorgliders are well known. You really should try flying one someday.
    Fitch, yes it is not only bad form but rude and inconsiderate to just jump to the front of the line, as I have stated I have once used the peanut butter and would not hesitate to do so again. We agree on one aspect of this discussion and it doesn't
    matter if it is a motorglider or pure glider the inconsideration is the same. >> No, we don't run a different operation here than most others, our operation runs smoothly and efficiently as most any other, our policy is the same for all, get in line and wait your turn. We operate off one runway, don't have the luxury of a R or L
    36-18, now if the Motorglider pilot was kind and respectful enough to make contact and as permission to jump to the front of the line we would certainly take that request into consideration, but don't just pass along the side of the waiting line and
    think that you are some kind of privileged dude, be respectful, I guess the guys where you fly cannot understand that concept. OBTP
    Bob, Bob, Bob: MG pilots do understand the concept of coordinating with the towed operation at the field, but most of us fly from airports that can easily accommodate towed and powered gliders without requiring everyone to be in one line; in fact, it's
    more pleasant for both types when that's done. It's possible that Hibiscus simply isn't suitable, but the fact a MG can taxi up to the front of the line suggests it is possible to run a dual operation. Develop a procedure (dual, "wait your turn",
    whatever) that works in your situation, publish it it on your website, get it put in the "Remarks" section of websites like Airnav , have signs in plain sight at field, talk to MG pilots new to the field when they show up, and you can have a safe, fair
    and efficient operation, just like dozens of fields around the country.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Thu Jul 27 12:42:00 2023
    This is not an unusual incident at many "destination" soaring operations. All too often, clueless visitors disrupt normal procedures, and require polite, but firm, instruction about how to blend in with minimal impact on established
    operations. When in Rome......
    Both Larry and Mark make excellent points of view in regarding operational behavior at glider operations both private and public. Our club has experienced incidents where some pilots motor to the front of the line or just wait their turn. I
    have much more respect for those that wait their turn and contribute to the operation of the club.
    Old Bob, that is just pure spite. Of course a visiting pilot, motorglider or towed glider, should coordinate to fit into the existing operation. I do not excuse for a second the behavior described in the OP. However if motorgliders are not
    allowed to self launch in the gaps between tows without any reason other than "waiting your turn", then that is not a friendly gliderport. Note that I did not say "not a motorglider friendly gliderport", I said "not a friendly gliderport". It does not
    delay tows for even a second and harms no one.
    Well Bob, it sounds like you run a very inefficient operation there. An idle runway is a wasting asset. By making the self launchers wait in line with the towed gliders, you are virtually guaranteeing that the towed gliders behind them will get a
    later launch than otherwise: the MG will need to get staged by hand, run up, occupy the runway for a period of time that could have been used to tow a glider. Yes, the MG pilot must chose a truly idle interval on the runway, but at most glider operations
    matter if it is a motorglider or pure glider the inconsideration is the same.
    No, we don't run a different operation here than most others, our operation runs smoothly and efficiently as most any other, our policy is the same for all, get in line and wait your turn. We operate off one runway, don't have the luxury of a R or L 36-
    18, now if the Motorglider pilot was kind and respectful enough to make contact and as permission to jump to the front of the line we would certainly take that request into consideration, but don't just pass along the side of the waiting line and think
    that you are some kind of privileged dude, be respectful, I guess the guys where you fly cannot understand that concept. OBTP
    Bob, Bob, Bob: MG pilots do understand the concept of coordinating with the towed operation at the field, but most of us fly from airports that can easily accommodate towed and powered gliders without requiring everyone to be in one line; in fact, it's
    more pleasant for both types when that's done. It's possible that Hibiscus simply isn't suitable, but the fact a MG can taxi up to the front of the line suggests it is possible to run a dual operation. Develop a procedure (dual, "wait your turn",
    whatever) that works in your situation, publish it it on your website, get it put in the "Remarks" section of websites like Airnav , have signs in plain sight at field, talk to MG pilots new to the field when they show up, and you can have a safe, fair

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jfitch@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Thu Jul 27 17:03:07 2023
    On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 12:42:03 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    This is not an unusual incident at many "destination" soaring operations. All too often, clueless visitors disrupt normal procedures, and require polite, but firm, instruction about how to blend in with minimal impact on established
    Both Larry and Mark make excellent points of view in regarding operational behavior at glider operations both private and public. Our club has experienced incidents where some pilots motor to the front of the line or just wait their turn. I
    have much more respect for those that wait their turn and contribute to the operation of the club.
    Old Bob, that is just pure spite. Of course a visiting pilot, motorglider or towed glider, should coordinate to fit into the existing operation. I do not excuse for a second the behavior described in the OP. However if motorgliders are not
    allowed to self launch in the gaps between tows without any reason other than "waiting your turn", then that is not a friendly gliderport. Note that I did not say "not a motorglider friendly gliderport", I said "not a friendly gliderport". It does not
    Fitch, Bro, when a person is sitting in their JS3 and some MG guy scoots in front and is there waiting while the tow plane is on final, then we have a problem! Pull that crap on me and I will rub peanut butter on the leading edge of you wings,
    just ask the late Andy McQuigg, wait your turn for takeoff. Fitch, you MG guys are not privileged, get in line or get the hell out of the way. Old Bob, The Purist
    No, we don't run a different operation here than most others, our operation runs smoothly and efficiently as most any other, our policy is the same for all, get in line and wait your turn. We operate off one runway, don't have the luxury of a R or L
    36-18, now if the Motorglider pilot was kind and respectful enough to make contact and as permission to jump to the front of the line we would certainly take that request into consideration, but don't just pass along the side of the waiting line and
    think that you are some kind of privileged dude, be respectful, I guess the guys where you fly cannot understand that concept. OBTP
    Bob is simply choosing to be obtuse to suit his prejudices. Improperly run, any operation can be a goat rodeo. Properly run, *any* motorglider on the field makes life better for *every* towed pilot: one less glider to tow means the average time from ramp
    to thermal is lower. Bob just hates them and isn't motivated to make it work to everyone's (including his) advantage. I've no problem with a "wait your turn for an open runway". To keep a runway full with towplanes takes at least three, and very
    efficient patterns. Sometimes this happens at efficiently run contests, but almost never on an average weekend at an average site. Making a towed glider wait for a motorglider self launch from a strict queue, when that launch could have happened 15
    minutes ago with no impact on anyone, is just silly.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to jfitch on Thu Jul 27 18:20:40 2023
    On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 5:03:10 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
    Fitch, Bro, when a person is sitting in their JS3 and some MG guy scoots in front and is there waiting while the tow plane is on final, then we have a problem! Pull that crap on me and I will rub peanut butter on the leading edge of you wings,
    just ask the late Andy McQuigg, wait your turn for takeoff. Fitch, you MG guys are not privileged, get in line or get the hell out of the way. Old Bob, The Purist
    No, we don't run a different operation here than most others, our operation runs smoothly and efficiently as most any other, our policy is the same for all, get in line and wait your turn. We operate off one runway, don't have the luxury of a R or
    L 36-18, now if the Motorglider pilot was kind and respectful enough to make contact and as permission to jump to the front of the line we would certainly take that request into consideration, but don't just pass along the side of the waiting line and
    Bob, Bob, Bob: MG pilots do understand the concept of coordinating with the towed operation at the field, but most of us fly from airports that can easily accommodate towed and powered gliders without requiring everyone to be in one line; in fact, it'
    s more pleasant for both types when that's done. It's possible that Hibiscus simply isn't suitable, but the fact a MG can taxi up to the front of the line suggests it is possible to run a dual operation. Develop a procedure (dual, "wait your turn",
    Bob is simply choosing to be obtuse to suit his prejudices. Improperly run, any operation can be a goat rodeo. Properly run, *any* motorglider on the field makes life better for *every* towed pilot: one less glider to tow means the average time from
    ramp to thermal is lower. Bob just hates them and isn't motivated to make it work to everyone's (including his) advantage. I've no problem with a "wait your turn for an open runway". To keep a runway full with towplanes takes at least three, and very
    efficient patterns. Sometimes this happens at efficiently run contests, but almost never on an average weekend at an average site. Making a towed glider wait for a motorglider self launch from a strict queue, when that launch could have happened 15

The bottom line is that a motorglider is an aircraft just like a towplane, and they have EVERY RIGHT to launch as does the towplane with a glider in tow. Naturally, a glider tow is going to tie up a runway far longer than a motorglider, but that doesn't
    mean they don't have a right to launch.

The most egregious things I have seen is a non-motorglider lands and ties up the runway for 5 to 10 minutes while they go get their tow out vehicle and tow out equipment to get the glider off the runway. Seen it happen - numerous times. When I land I
    have a steerable tailwheel and can exit the runway w/o further effort. If I misjudge and can't make the turn off (which happens very rarely) I can start my motor and taxi off the runway with minimal delay.

Tom 2G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to jfitch on Thu Jul 27 19:39:41 2023
    On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 8:03:10 PM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:
    No, we don't run a different operation here than most others, our operation runs smoothly and efficiently as most any other, our policy is the same for all, get in line and wait your turn. We operate off one runway, don't have the luxury of a R or
    L 36-18, now if the Motorglider pilot was kind and respectful enough to make contact and as permission to jump to the front of the line we would certainly take that request into consideration, but don't just pass along the side of the waiting line and
    Bob, Bob, Bob: MG pilots do understand the concept of coordinating with the towed operation at the field, but most of us fly from airports that can easily accommodate towed and powered gliders without requiring everyone to be in one line; in fact, it'
    s more pleasant for both types when that's done. It's possible that Hibiscus simply isn't suitable, but the fact a MG can taxi up to the front of the line suggests it is possible to run a dual operation. Develop a procedure (dual, "wait your turn",
    Bob is simply choosing to be obtuse to suit his prejudices. Improperly run, any operation can be a goat rodeo. Properly run, *any* motorglider on the field makes life better for *every* towed pilot: one less glider to tow means the average time from
    ramp to thermal is lower. Bob just hates them and isn't motivated to make it work to everyone's (including his) advantage. I've no problem with a "wait your turn for an open runway". To keep a runway full with towplanes takes at least three, and very
    Yes Fitch, the proverbial goat rodeo happens more often than most realize, don't forget that 70% of our flights are training flights that include new solo pilots that we have no problem with them landing in the middle of the runway and creating havoc
    from time to time.
    I have also seen experienced motorglider and purist do the same thing and a steerable tailwheel doesn't help with anything at our place of operation. We do not have the luxury of multiple runways, we must make do with what we have. As I stated earlier,
    ask before assuming, don't just taxi your pompous butt to the front and expect everything to be ok, the person that you irritate will probably be sitting in that next to go position, as the gentleman I assume you to be I am sure you agree. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Thu Jul 27 21:50:30 2023
    On Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 7:39:44 PM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    Both Larry and Mark make excellent points of view in regarding operational behavior at glider operations both private and public. Our club has experienced incidents where some pilots motor to the front of the line or just wait their turn.
    I have much more respect for those that wait their turn and contribute to the operation of the club.
    Well Bob, it sounds like you run a very inefficient operation there. An idle runway is a wasting asset. By making the self launchers wait in line with the towed gliders, you are virtually guaranteeing that the towed gliders behind them will get
    a later launch than otherwise: the MG will need to get staged by hand, run up, occupy the runway for a period of time that could have been used to tow a glider. Yes, the MG pilot must chose a truly idle interval on the runway, but at most glider
    operations there are plenty of those. If he just pushes in front of an idling tow plane, that is bad form, as it would be for a towed glider. Otherwise your policy is just wasting everyone's time, including your prized "pure" glider customers. So it
    still sounds like pure spite to me - your opinions on motorgliders are well known. You really should try flying one someday.
    Fitch, yes it is not only bad form but rude and inconsiderate to just jump to the front of the line, as I have stated I have once used the peanut butter and would not hesitate to do so again. We agree on one aspect of this discussion and it doesn'
    t matter if it is a motorglider or pure glider the inconsideration is the same.
    No, we don't run a different operation here than most others, our operation runs smoothly and efficiently as most any other, our policy is the same for all, get in line and wait your turn. We operate off one runway, don't have the luxury of a R
    or L 36-18, now if the Motorglider pilot was kind and respectful enough to make contact and as permission to jump to the front of the line we would certainly take that request into consideration, but don't just pass along the side of the waiting line and
    Bob, Bob, Bob: MG pilots do understand the concept of coordinating with the towed operation at the field, but most of us fly from airports that can easily accommodate towed and powered gliders without requiring everyone to be in one line; in fact,
    it's more pleasant for both types when that's done. It's possible that Hibiscus simply isn't suitable, but the fact a MG can taxi up to the front of the line suggests it is possible to run a dual operation. Develop a procedure (dual, "wait your turn",
    Yes Fitch, the proverbial goat rodeo happens more often than most realize, don't forget that 70% of our flights are training flights that include new solo pilots that we have no problem with them landing in the middle of the runway and creating havoc
    from time to time.
    I have also seen experienced motorglider and purist do the same thing and a steerable tailwheel doesn't help with anything at our place of operation. We do not have the luxury of multiple runways, we must make do with what we have. As I stated earlier,
    ask before assuming, don't just taxi your pompous butt to the front and expect everything to be ok, the person that you irritate will probably be sitting in that next to go position, as the gentleman I assume you to be I am sure you agree. OBTP

Your "place of operation" is a grass strip where it may not be possible to taxi a motor glider with small wingtip wheels (these are typically skateboard wheels). A proficient pilot would use his/her landing momentum to steer off of the "runway" before
    the wing dropped. I operate off of hard-surfaced runways with taxiways such as Ely, NV.

Tom 2G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From youngblood8116@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 28 03:35:38 2023
    On Friday, July 28, 2023 at 12:50:33 AM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
    Both Larry and Mark make excellent points of view in regarding operational behavior at glider operations both private and public. Our club has experienced incidents where some pilots motor to the front of the line or just wait their
    turn. I have much more respect for those that wait their turn and contribute to the operation of the club.
    Old Bob, that is just pure spite. Of course a visiting pilot, motorglider or towed glider, should coordinate to fit into the existing operation. I do not excuse for a second the behavior described in the OP. However if motorgliders are
    not allowed to self launch in the gaps between tows without any reason other than "waiting your turn", then that is not a friendly gliderport. Note that I did not say "not a motorglider friendly gliderport", I said "not a friendly gliderport". It does
    not delay tows for even a second and harms no one.
    Fitch, Bro, when a person is sitting in their JS3 and some MG guy scoots in front and is there waiting while the tow plane is on final, then we have a problem! Pull that crap on me and I will rub peanut butter on the leading edge of you
    wings, just ask the late Andy McQuigg, wait your turn for takeoff. Fitch, you MG guys are not privileged, get in line or get the hell out of the way. Old Bob, The Purist
    Well Bob, it sounds like you run a very inefficient operation there. An idle runway is a wasting asset. By making the self launchers wait in line with the towed gliders, you are virtually guaranteeing that the towed gliders behind them will
    get a later launch than otherwise: the MG will need to get staged by hand, run up, occupy the runway for a period of time that could have been used to tow a glider. Yes, the MG pilot must chose a truly idle interval on the runway, but at most glider
    operations there are plenty of those. If he just pushes in front of an idling tow plane, that is bad form, as it would be for a towed glider. Otherwise your policy is just wasting everyone's time, including your prized "pure" glider customers. So it
    still sounds like pure spite to me - your opinions on motorgliders are well known. You really should try flying one someday.
    Fitch, yes it is not only bad form but rude and inconsiderate to just jump to the front of the line, as I have stated I have once used the peanut butter and would not hesitate to do so again. We agree on one aspect of this discussion and it
    doesn't matter if it is a motorglider or pure glider the inconsideration is the same.
    No, we don't run a different operation here than most others, our operation runs smoothly and efficiently as most any other, our policy is the same for all, get in line and wait your turn. We operate off one runway, don't have the luxury of a R
    or L 36-18, now if the Motorglider pilot was kind and respectful enough to make contact and as permission to jump to the front of the line we would certainly take that request into consideration, but don't just pass along the side of the waiting line and
    Bob, Bob, Bob: MG pilots do understand the concept of coordinating with the towed operation at the field, but most of us fly from airports that can easily accommodate towed and powered gliders without requiring everyone to be in one line; in fact,
    it's more pleasant for both types when that's done. It's possible that Hibiscus simply isn't suitable, but the fact a MG can taxi up to the front of the line suggests it is possible to run a dual operation. Develop a procedure (dual, "wait your turn",
    Bob is simply choosing to be obtuse to suit his prejudices. Improperly run, any operation can be a goat rodeo. Properly run, *any* motorglider on the field makes life better for *every* towed pilot: one less glider to tow means the average time
    from ramp to thermal is lower. Bob just hates them and isn't motivated to make it work to everyone's (including his) advantage. I've no problem with a "wait your turn for an open runway". To keep a runway full with towplanes takes at least three, and
    very efficient patterns. Sometimes this happens at efficiently run contests, but almost never on an average weekend at an average site. Making a towed glider wait for a motorglider self launch from a strict queue, when that launch could have happened 15
    from time to time.
    I have also seen experienced motorglider and purist do the same thing and a steerable tailwheel doesn't help with anything at our place of operation. We do not have the luxury of multiple runways, we must make do with what we have. As I stated
    earlier, ask before assuming, don't just taxi your pompous butt to the front and expect everything to be ok, the person that you irritate will probably be sitting in that next to go position, as the gentleman I assume you to be I am sure you agree. OBTP
    Your "place of operation" is a grass strip where it may not be possible to taxi a motor glider with small wingtip wheels (these are typically skateboard wheels). A proficient pilot would use his/her landing momentum to steer off of the "runway" before
    the wing dropped. I operate off of hard-surfaced runways with taxiways such as Ely, NV.

Tom 2G
    Terrible Tommy, I have a jar of Peter Pan crunchy waiting just for you. OBTP

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to youngbl...@gmail.com on Sat Jul 29 17:09:16 2023
    On Friday, July 28, 2023 at 3:35:41 AM UTC-7, youngbl...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, July 28, 2023 at 12:50:33 AM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
    Both Larry and Mark make excellent points of view in regarding operational behavior at glider operations both private and public. Our club has experienced incidents where some pilots motor to the front of the line or just wait their
    turn. I have much more respect for those that wait their turn and contribute to the operation of the club.
    Old Bob, that is just pure spite. Of course a visiting pilot, motorglider or towed glider, should coordinate to fit into the existing operation. I do not excuse for a second the behavior described in the OP. However if motorgliders are
    not allowed to self launch in the gaps between tows without any reason other than "waiting your turn", then that is not a friendly gliderport. Note that I did not say "not a motorglider friendly gliderport", I said "not a friendly gliderport". It does
    not delay tows for even a second and harms no one.
    Fitch, Bro, when a person is sitting in their JS3 and some MG guy scoots in front and is there waiting while the tow plane is on final, then we have a problem! Pull that crap on me and I will rub peanut butter on the leading edge of you
    wings, just ask the late Andy McQuigg, wait your turn for takeoff. Fitch, you MG guys are not privileged, get in line or get the hell out of the way. Old Bob, The Purist
    Well Bob, it sounds like you run a very inefficient operation there. An idle runway is a wasting asset. By making the self launchers wait in line with the towed gliders, you are virtually guaranteeing that the towed gliders behind them will
    get a later launch than otherwise: the MG will need to get staged by hand, run up, occupy the runway for a period of time that could have been used to tow a glider. Yes, the MG pilot must chose a truly idle interval on the runway, but at most glider
    Fitch, yes it is not only bad form but rude and inconsiderate to just jump to the front of the line, as I have stated I have once used the peanut butter and would not hesitate to do so again. We agree on one aspect of this discussion and it
    doesn't matter if it is a motorglider or pure glider the inconsideration is the same.
    No, we don't run a different operation here than most others, our operation runs smoothly and efficiently as most any other, our policy is the same for all, get in line and wait your turn. We operate off one runway, don't have the luxury of a
    R or L 36-18, now if the Motorglider pilot was kind and respectful enough to make contact and as permission to jump to the front of the line we would certainly take that request into consideration, but don't just pass along the side of the waiting line
    and think that you are some kind of privileged dude, be respectful, I guess the guys where you fly cannot understand that concept. OBTP
    Bob, Bob, Bob: MG pilots do understand the concept of coordinating with the towed operation at the field, but most of us fly from airports that can easily accommodate towed and powered gliders without requiring everyone to be in one line; in
    fact, it's more pleasant for both types when that's done. It's possible that Hibiscus simply isn't suitable, but the fact a MG can taxi up to the front of the line suggests it is possible to run a dual operation. Develop a procedure (dual, "wait your
    turn", whatever) that works in your situation, publish it it on your website, get it put in the "Remarks" section of websites like Airnav , have signs in plain sight at field, talk to MG pilots new to the field when they show up, and you can have a safe,
    fair and efficient operation, just like dozens of fields around the country.
    Bob is simply choosing to be obtuse to suit his prejudices. Improperly run, any operation can be a goat rodeo. Properly run, *any* motorglider on the field makes life better for *every* towed pilot: one less glider to tow means the average time
    from ramp to thermal is lower. Bob just hates them and isn't motivated to make it work to everyone's (including his) advantage. I've no problem with a "wait your turn for an open runway". To keep a runway full with towplanes takes at least three, and
    very efficient patterns. Sometimes this happens at efficiently run contests, but almost never on an average weekend at an average site. Making a towed glider wait for a motorglider self launch from a strict queue, when that launch could have happened 15
    Yes Fitch, the proverbial goat rodeo happens more often than most realize, don't forget that 70% of our flights are training flights that include new solo pilots that we have no problem with them landing in the middle of the runway and creating
    havoc from time to time.
    I have also seen experienced motorglider and purist do the same thing and a steerable tailwheel doesn't help with anything at our place of operation. We do not have the luxury of multiple runways, we must make do with what we have. As I stated
    earlier, ask before assuming, don't just taxi your pompous butt to the front and expect everything to be ok, the person that you irritate will probably be sitting in that next to go position, as the gentleman I assume you to be I am sure you agree. OBTP
    Your "place of operation" is a grass strip where it may not be possible to taxi a motor glider with small wingtip wheels (these are typically skateboard wheels). A proficient pilot would use his/her landing momentum to steer off of the "runway"
    before the wing dropped. I operate off of hard-surfaced runways with taxiways such as Ely, NV.

Tom 2G
    Terrible Tommy, I have a jar of Peter Pan crunchy waiting just for you. OBTP

Hey Booby, I don't think I will make it. As usual, you are don't have an intelligent reply.

Tom 2G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Raul Boerner@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 29 17:30:35 2023
    Point is, let’s be the good operators and stewards of our fine sport, particularly as visitors. Just because we think we can operate how we’d prefer at a public use airport doesn’t mean we should ignore club rules of engagement.

Spartanburg SC

Hello Larry,

A few weeks ago, a fellow club member and I drove to Moriarty to do some flying. Our airport has been under a super high pressure atmosphere and thermals were just staying home or waking up late--or actually, not getting up at all.

We spoke with Whitney (Merlin Aviation versus Sundance) and received a good briefing. My glider needed a tow plane and my friend could self-launch. I learned how to fit in with the locals, and my self-launch friend learned how to fit in with the locals,
    also.

Additionally, we visited with the airport manager (by the way, a hugely nice person). He told us the local procedures and rules. He also gave me his card and told me that if I landed out, I just had to call him and he would take care of business. He told
    me about good landing airfields--and bad ones. He was so nice that I was going to go out of my usual way to avoid landing out--yuk yuk.

By middle week, locals treated us like locals. We were helped with launching, helped with with after-landing procedures, helped with disassembly, invited to the local meeting and debriefing station, invited to visit private hangars, invited to supper (
    pizza or private bar-b-qued steak), conversation, and much more.

Diplomacy and etiquette are the keys.

Raul Boerner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Raul Boerner on Sun Jul 30 09:55:38 2023
    Thanks Raul,

That was a perfect description of life at Moriarty! Just yesterday
    after landing my Stemme after a short flight, one of the long timers
    here, Stan for the locals, offered to help my tired, 75 year old body
    fold up the wings. I thankfully declined as I've got it down to an art.
    Oh, Stan is 82, but offered none the less! I always offer to help
    him, too.

BTW, as to safe land outs DO NOT attempt to land on the "dry lakes", a
    thin salty crust over oozing salty mud. A few years back a visiting
    pilot landed there and made the cover of Soaring magazine.

Dan
    5J

On 7/29/23 18:30, Raul Boerner wrote:

Spartanburg SC

Hello Larry,

A few weeks ago, a fellow club member and I drove to Moriarty to do some flying. Our airport has been under a super high pressure atmosphere and thermals were just staying home or waking up late--or actually, not getting up at all.

We spoke with Whitney (Merlin Aviation versus Sundance) and received a good briefing. My glider needed a tow plane and my friend could self-launch. I learned how to fit in with the locals, and my self-launch friend learned how to fit in with the locals,
    also.

Additionally, we visited with the airport manager (by the way, a hugely nice person). He told us the local procedures and rules. He also gave me his card and told me that if I landed out, I just had to call him and he would take care of business. He
    told me about good landing airfields--and bad ones. He was so nice that I was going to go out of my usual way to avoid landing out--yuk yuk.

By middle week, locals treated us like locals. We were helped with launching, helped with with after-landing procedures, helped with disassembly, invited to the local meeting and debriefing station, invited to visit private hangars, invited to supper (
    pizza or private bar-b-qued steak), conversation, and much more.

Diplomacy and etiquette are the keys.

Raul Boerner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05