• ILEC SC7 VARIOMETER

From miltonpilot JLH@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 18 15:59:32 2023
    I have this variometer in my glider. For the kind of soaring I do it suits me well but it is beginning to have intermittent problems. Is there any place in the United States (or the world) that can do inspection and/or repair on this instrument?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dan Daly@21:1/5 to miltonpilot JLH on Tue Jul 18 16:47:13 2023
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 6:59:35 PM UTC-4, miltonpilot JLH wrote:
    I have this variometer in my glider. For the kind of soaring I do it suits me well but it is beginning to have intermittent problems. Is there any place in the United States (or the world) that can do inspection and/or repair on this instrument?

If it's plumbed to a TE probe, you might try replacing the O-ring in the probe before more expensive things.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From miltonpilot JLH@21:1/5 to Dan Daly on Wed Jul 19 13:01:41 2023
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 4:47:16 PM UTC-7, Dan Daly wrote:
    If it's plumbed to a TE probe, you might try replacing the O-ring in the probe before more expensive things.

Thanks Dan. I should replace the O-ring on the probe anyway, it's at least 8 years old. I do believe my problem is electrical in nature. The digital readouts for the averager, the outside temperature and the battery level sometimes flicker and the
    values fluctuate greatly. At the same time the analog needle will read maximums of +/- 1 knot only (even in an 8 knot thermal) and the audio varies wildly, making no sense. This problem started about two weeks ago (I have been flying with this vario
    since I bought the glider 6 years ago and it was in the glider for a number of years before that. The problem happens at the beginning of a flight but seems to correct itself after 30 to 45 minutes of flying. When I flew this past weekend the problem
    did not occur at all on two flights. Very strange. JLH/H4

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From miltonpilot JLH@21:1/5 to Paul Remde on Wed Jul 19 13:22:33 2023
    On Wednesday, July 19, 2023 at 1:17:02 PM UTC-7, Paul Remde wrote:
    Hi Milton,

Christian Schindler currently runs ILEC and supports their products. He does a great job. I'm pretty sure he could test and repair the vario. He can be reached at info at ilec-gmbh.com.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
    On Wednesday, July 19, 2023 at 3:01:44 PM UTC-5, miltonpilot JLH wrote:
    Thanks Dan. I should replace the O-ring on the probe anyway, it's at least 8 years old. I do believe my problem is electrical in nature. The digital readouts for the averager, the outside temperature and the battery level sometimes flicker and the
    values fluctuate greatly. At the same time the analog needle will read maximums of +/- 1 knot only (even in an 8 knot thermal) and the audio varies wildly, making no sense. This problem started about two weeks ago (I have been flying with this vario
    since I bought the glider 6 years ago and it was in the glider for a number of years before that. The problem happens at the beginning of a flight but seems to correct itself after 30 to 45 minutes of flying. When I flew this past weekend the problem did
    not occur at all on two flights. Very strange. JLH/H4

Thanks Paul. JLH/H4

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Remde@21:1/5 to miltonpilot JLH on Wed Jul 19 13:17:00 2023
    Hi Milton,

Christian Schindler currently runs ILEC and supports their products. He does a great job. I'm pretty sure he could test and repair the vario. He can be reached at info at ilec-gmbh.com.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

On Wednesday, July 19, 2023 at 3:01:44 PM UTC-5, miltonpilot JLH wrote:
    since I bought the glider 6 years ago and it was in the glider for a number of years before that. The problem happens at the beginning of a flight but seems to correct itself after 30 to 45 minutes of flying. When I flew this past weekend the problem did
    not occur at all on two flights. Very strange. JLH/H4

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dave Nadler@21:1/5 to miltonpilot JLH on Wed Jul 19 15:07:25 2023
    On Wednesday, July 19, 2023 at 4:01:44 PM UTC-4, miltonpilot JLH wrote:
    ...I do believe my problem is electrical in nature. The digital readouts for the averager, the outside temperature and the battery level sometimes flicker and the values fluctuate greatly. At the same time the analog needle will read maximums of +/- 1
    knot only (even in an 8 knot thermal) and the audio varies wildly, making no sense. This problem started about two weeks ago (I have been flying with this vario since I bought the glider 6 years ago and it was in the glider for a number of years before
    that. The problem happens at the beginning of a flight but seems to correct itself after 30 to 45 minutes of flying. When I flew this past weekend the problem did not occur at all on two flights. Very strange. JLH/H4

Check carefully all electrical connections, wiring joints, fuse ends, anything that can be loose or corroded. While sometimes instruments have problems, more often then not a problem like this is in the installation....
    Hope that helps!
    Best Regards, Dave

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From miltonpilot JLH@21:1/5 to Dave Nadler on Thu Jul 20 00:30:41 2023
    On Wednesday, July 19, 2023 at 3:07:28 PM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
    ...I do believe my problem is electrical in nature. The digital readouts for the averager, the outside temperature and the battery level sometimes flicker and the values fluctuate greatly. At the same time the analog needle will read maximums of +/-
    1 knot only (even in an 8 knot thermal) and the audio varies wildly, making no sense. This problem started about two weeks ago (I have been flying with this vario since I bought the glider 6 years ago and it was in the glider for a number of years before
    that. The problem happens at the beginning of a flight but seems to correct itself after 30 to 45 minutes of flying. When I flew this past weekend the problem did not occur at all on two flights. Very strange. JLH/H4

Check carefully all electrical connections, wiring joints, fuse ends, anything that can be loose or corroded. While sometimes instruments have problems, more often then not a problem like this is in the installation....
    Hope that helps!
    Best Regards, Dave

Thank you Dave! I will check all of these items. JLH/H4

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From miltonpilot JLH@21:1/5 to Dave Nadler on Sun Jul 23 08:43:02 2023
    On Wednesday, July 19, 2023 at 3:07:28 PM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
    ...I do believe my problem is electrical in nature. The digital readouts for the averager, the outside temperature and the battery level sometimes flicker and the values fluctuate greatly. At the same time the analog needle will read maximums of +/-
    1 knot only (even in an 8 knot thermal) and the audio varies wildly, making no sense. This problem started about two weeks ago (I have been flying with this vario since I bought the glider 6 years ago and it was in the glider for a number of years before

Hope that helps!
    Best Regards, Dave

Dave, I went to fly yesterday and was checking all of the instruments, radio, oxygen etc. while the glider was still in the hangar in the morning. When I turned on the SC7 vario it exhibited its "problem". When flipped the switch to see temperature the
    digital display showed " -A1 ". Is this an error code? If so, would you happen to know what it means? FWIW, a few hours later I flew and the vario worked perfectly for the entire flight.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05