• In Search of the Perfect Vario

From Dave Nadler@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 14 12:22:27 2023
    For those of you interested in variometers, I've posted a re-recording of the OSTIV-track talk I gave at the 2023 SSA convention:

https://lnkd.in/eEhafmH4

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Dave Nadler@21:1/5 to Dave Nadler on Sun Jul 16 11:32:28 2023
    On Friday, July 14, 2023 at 3:22:29 PM UTC-4, Dave Nadler wrote:
    For those of you interested in variometers, I've posted a re-recording of the OSTIV-track talk I gave at the 2023 SSA convention:

For a hearing-impaired friend I cleaned up the Google auto-generated subtitles. Though I did like it when google said "colliders" instead of "gliders"... Enjoy!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Johnson@21:1/5 to Dave Nadler on Sun Jul 16 14:47:50 2023
    On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 11:32:31 AM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
    On Friday, July 14, 2023 at 3:22:29 PM UTC-4, Dave Nadler wrote:

For a hearing-impaired friend I cleaned up the Google auto-generated subtitles.
    Though I did like it when google said "colliders" instead of "gliders"... Enjoy!

Dave,
    Thanks for sharing. Awesome presentation! I learned a lot and have a more realistic perspective on why the perfect vario doesn't already exist.

I was really impressed with the airmass simulation as an illustration of the challenges we have stopping at and centering the best lift. Particularly at ~12:43, the simulation shows a rising air column top out at ~700m, then the flow shifts and becomes
    horizontal to right before joining a stronger core and moving vertical again (located with your pointer). It explains the scenario I encounter often: get low, turn in the next thing going up, have it peter out well below TOL, leave and then hit the
    real core a short time later. The simulation's dramatic switch to pure horizontal flow was unexpected.

It illustrates another reason why staying higher helps: these lower 'feeder cores' have mostly coalesced into larger, stronger columns so you don't waste time in them. I hope to see more of these airmass models shared. What a great way to help us
    develop a better understanding of what's out there.

As I listened, I thought about flying with a 'perfect vario' vs the compromises we face now. I don't think we're too bad off. For example, what if we could literally see the air mass (like the simulation view) and always know where to go and which
    direction to turn? I know I'd quickly become bored. There's something about the struggle, developing an instinct, chasing hope, failing at times, and savoring the wins that makes soaring special.

In a similar musing, I've been amazed at how accurate and convenient today's soaring forecasts are. In my HG XC days, we frantically copied down a recorded phone message to gather the early morning raw sounding data from the (2 total) weather balloon
    launch sites we had in all of Arizona. Now, SkySight almost feels like cheating. Don't get me wrong - I really love the level of technology we have now. GPS, secure IGC, moving maps, ADSB, weather, ... it's all awesome. And YES!, I would also love
    to have a vario that only tells the truth regarding the airmass I'm currently in. But, I'm also kind of happy to hear the core challenges aren't going away soon.

JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark628CA@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 16 15:29:51 2023
    Ever since my hang gliding days, watching towering cumulus clouds roiling wildly and seeing dust devils beating cars to death, my buddies and I all thought, "If we could actually SEE air, we'd probably quit flying."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dysanf@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Dave Nadler on Thu Jul 20 05:43:59 2023
    On Friday, July 14, 2023 at 1:22:29 PM UTC-6, Dave Nadler wrote:

I missed your presentation at the convention, thank you for posting it here. Super fascinating.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05