• Lane centering feature for tow vehicle

From Dan Goldman@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 10 18:01:27 2023
    I am wondering if an available feature "Lane Centering Assist" in the tow vehicle can help against a fishtailing trailer ?

Dan G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Craig Reinholt@21:1/5 to Dan Goldman on Tue Jul 11 07:10:26 2023
    On Monday, July 10, 2023 at 6:01:29 PM UTC-7, Dan Goldman wrote:
    I am wondering if an available feature "Lane Centering Assist" in the tow vehicle can help against a fishtailing trailer ?

Dan G
    Add weight to the nose of your glider trailer to help alleviate some/all fishtailing at lower speeds. I can tow my trailer comfortably at 75 mph in no wind conditions with my 2014 SUV.
    Craig

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Craig Reinholt on Tue Jul 11 09:28:54 2023
    I would be really concerned that inputs from a car computer would
    exacerbate a trailer's fish tailing unless it was designed for that
    specific purpose. My wife's car has that "feature" and it's disabled on purpose.

Dan
    5J

On 7/11/23 08:10, Craig Reinholt wrote:

Dan G
    Add weight to the nose of your glider trailer to help alleviate some/all fishtailing at lower speeds. I can tow my trailer comfortably at 75 mph in no wind conditions with my 2014 SUV.
    Craig

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Charles Coyne@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Tue Jul 11 09:00:49 2023
    On Tuesday, July 11, 2023 at 8:28:58 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
    specific purpose. My wife's car has that "feature" and it's disabled on purpose.

Dan
    5J

Dan G
    Craig
    Some vehicles, such as my Ford F 150 pickup, have integrated 'anti-sway' technology built into the braking systems. Not sure how it all works, but if the truck 'senses' the trailer swaying, the brakes will be cycled left side/right side as needed to
    counter the swaying. This is a feature that comes with the Ford trailering package option, don't know if other manufacturers have something similar. That being said, it's still best practice to load the trailer such that 10-15% of the weight of the
    trailer's weight is on the trailer hitch.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to Dan Marotta on Tue Jul 11 09:57:02 2023
    After further thought, I recall that the lane centering on my Wife's
    Honda Passport is vision based. There's a camera mounted at the top of
    the windshield and it looks at, among other things, the left and right
    sides of the travel lane. If it gets a good bit off center, it "grabs"
    the steering wheel and moves it towards the center. Very disconcerting.
    Just stay awake.

That jerk of the wheel might be just the impetus to start the trailer
    fish tailing. The fish tailing will cause the tow vehicle to move off
    center causing another yank on the wheel. Do you see this coming...?

Dan
    5J

On 7/11/23 09:28, Dan Marotta wrote:
    specific purpose.  My wife's car has that "feature" and it's disabled on purpose.

Dan
    5J

I am wondering if an available feature "Lane Centering Assist" in the
    tow vehicle can help against a fishtailing trailer ?

Dan G
    Add weight to the nose of your glider trailer to help alleviate
    some/all fishtailing at lower speeds. I can tow my trailer comfortably
    at 75 mph in no wind conditions with my 2014 SUV.
    Craig

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From howardbanks31@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Charles Coyne on Tue Jul 11 09:40:11 2023
    On Tuesday, July 11, 2023 at 12:00:51 PM UTC-4, Charles Coyne wrote:
    On Tuesday, July 11, 2023 at 8:28:58 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
    I would be really concerned that inputs from a car computer would exacerbate a trailer's fish tailing unless it was designed for that specific purpose. My wife's car has that "feature" and it's disabled on purpose.

Dan
    5J

Dan G
    Craig
    Some vehicles, such as my Ford F 150 pickup, have integrated 'anti-sway' technology built into the braking systems. Not sure how it all works, but if the truck 'senses' the trailer swaying, the brakes will be cycled left side/right side as needed to
    counter the swaying. This is a feature that comes with the Ford trailering package option, don't know if other manufacturers have something similar. That being said, it's still best practice to load the trailer such that 10-15% of the weight of the
    trailer's weight is on the trailer hitch.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Dan Goldman on Tue Jul 11 10:23:45 2023

Dan G
    I would not expect any feature to improve trailer handling unless it was offered explicitly for that purpose. "Lane Centering Assist" does not make that offer, but the F150 "antisway" feature appears to do so. If I had such a feature, I think I would
    still drive below the "fishtailing" speed, and let the "antisway" help in emergency situations; eg, a tire slowly losing pressure, a strong thermal crossing the road that I did not see coming, etc.
    Eric

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Dan Goldman on Tue Jul 11 10:18:17 2023

Dan G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steve Koerner@21:1/5 to Dan Goldman on Tue Jul 11 12:05:54 2023

Dan G

As a retired control theory engineer, I'll offer the opinion that indeed electronic steering has the potential to do a lot better than a human at sway control. The potential is there because electronic sway detection is easily more sensitive than human
    observation and the electronic response is faster and potentially more dynamically accurate. This is the sort of thing that electronic controls can be very good at.

But the rub is that glider pulling is a very tiny corner of the market and different trailers have different dynamics. I don't imagine that trailer pulling gets much engineering attention quite yet. I think, for now, the design goals are just to get
    good steering performance without a trailer and I know that in some cases trailers are overtly ruled out in the owner's manual. Hopefully that'll change in the future.

The analogy here is an advanced fly-by-wire aircraft that's intentionally designed unstable to get various aerodynamic benefits. Those systems can't possibly be controlled by slow humans but can be perfectly controlled by fast electronics. A swaying
    glider trailer is similarly an unstable system that's difficult for slow reaction humans, yet amenable to electronics.

Steve Koerner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nicholas Kennedy@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 11 12:33:45 2023
    I'm no engineer but a couple of observations from the cheap seats.
    Both my F-150 and my wife's Nissan Rouge have Stability and traction controls systems and they are amazing to see in action, they really work well.

We rented a " self driving" mode Kia car on Maui this spring and it was impresive, it would stay in the center on the lane on the Hana road [ 2000 curves in 45 miles ] and would not let you rear end the car in front of you.
    As far as trailer control, not sure. Find out how to load your trailer correctly and it should tow well at fairly high speeds, it should track correctly, if not fix it. It ain't rocket science. It's CG science.
    Nick
    T

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Goldman@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 11 13:33:12 2023
    Googled Lane Centering Assist while towing, and found out that Ford does not allow that

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?variantid=8806&languageCode=en&countryCode=USA&Uid=G2166922&ProcUid=G2157464&userMarket=usa&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&buildtype=web

Dan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Dan Goldman on Tue Jul 11 14:16:10 2023
    On Tuesday, July 11, 2023 at 1:33:14 PM UTC-7, Dan Goldman wrote:
    Googled Lane Centering Assist while towing, and found out that Ford does not allow that

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/vdirsnet/OwnerManual/Home/Content?variantid=8806&languageCode=en&countryCode=USA&Uid=G2166922&ProcUid=G2157464&userMarket=usa&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False&buildtype=web

Dan

Unless the car owner's manual specifically states that lane-centering assist can be used while towing I would recommend against trying it. Here is but one bad experience:
    https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/issue-towing-tt-with-lane-centering.3345/
    The reason is that, as Steve mentioned, a tractor-trailer combination (which is what we have here) is a complex dynamical system with many degrees of freedom (axes if you will), and this assist may not have (and most likely has not) been "tuned" for this
    combination. You have the real possibility of encountering a dynamically unstable mode that could result in loss of control of the vehicle and trailer.

Tom 2G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark Zivley@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 11 19:10:26 2023
    Some years ago I was towing a glider trailer that had a mild swaying tendency. Fortunately the tow vehicle was fairly heavy so it didn't get out of hand. I could see the fin of the trailer in the rear view mirror and so I experimented with steering
    inputs relative to what I saw in the rear view. If memory serves, it was more intuitive to try and steer the same direction as the fin movement. In other words, if the fin was moving left to right in the rear view mirror, it was intuitive to steer to
    the right, to "follow" the fin movement. That, if memory serves, was the wrong input. It was harder to condition myself to steer opposite to the motion perceived. Fin going left to right meant steering to the left but that input did result in a
    dampening effect on the trailer sway and I used that successfully a few times on that trip.

Since then I've managed to avoid any noticeable trailer sway issues and thus have not had reason to experiment further. Clearly the best approach is A. Heavy tow vehicle relative to the trailer weight. B. Plenty of tongue weight/forward weight
    distribution on the trailer. C. Don't drive fast enough to induce the onset of sway.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Goldman@21:1/5 to Mark Zivley on Wed Jul 12 16:33:50 2023
    On Tuesday, July 11, 2023 at 10:10:28 PM UTC-4, Mark Zivley wrote:
    Some years ago I was towing a glider trailer that had a mild swaying tendency. Fortunately the tow vehicle was fairly heavy so it didn't get out of hand. I could see the fin of the trailer in the rear view mirror and so I experimented with steering
    inputs relative to what I saw in the rear view. If memory serves, it was more intuitive to try and steer the same direction as the fin movement. In other words, if the fin was moving left to right in the rear view mirror, it was intuitive to steer to the
    right, to "follow" the fin movement. That, if memory serves, was the wrong input. It was harder to condition myself to steer opposite to the motion perceived. Fin going left to right meant steering to the left but that input did result in a dampening
    effect on the trailer sway and I used that successfully a few times on that trip.

Since then I've managed to avoid any noticeable trailer sway issues and thus have not had reason to experiment further. Clearly the best approach is A. Heavy tow vehicle relative to the trailer weight. B. Plenty of tongue weight/forward weight
    distribution on the trailer. C. Don't drive fast enough to induce the onset of sway.
    Thanks all !
    Dan G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From soarsn@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to Dan Goldman on Thu Jul 13 09:46:26 2023
    On Wednesday, July 12, 2023 at 4:33:53 PM UTC-7, Dan Goldman wrote:
    inputs relative to what I saw in the rear view. If memory serves, it was more intuitive to try and steer the same direction as the fin movement. In other words, if the fin was moving left to right in the rear view mirror, it was intuitive to steer to the
    right, to "follow" the fin movement. That, if memory serves, was the wrong input. It was harder to condition myself to steer opposite to the motion perceived. Fin going left to right meant steering to the left but that input did result in a dampening
    effect on the trailer sway and I used that successfully a few times on that trip.

Thanks all !
    Dan G
    Back in 1987 at the OSTIV Conference Nelson Funston presented a paper titled: THE INFLUENCE OF DESIGN PARAMETERS ON GLIDER TRAILER TOWING BEHAVIOR

The paper is available here: https://journals.sfu.ca/ts/index.php/ts/article/view/779/737

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kinsell@21:1/5 to Mark Zivley on Thu Jul 13 11:12:56 2023
    On 7/11/23 8:10 PM, Mark Zivley wrote:
    inputs relative to what I saw in the rear view. If memory serves, it was more intuitive to try and steer the same direction as the fin movement. In other words, if the fin was moving left to right in the rear view mirror, it was intuitive to steer to
    the right, to "follow" the fin movement. That, if memory serves, was the wrong input. It was harder to condition myself to steer opposite to the motion perceived. Fin going left to right meant steering to the left but that input did result in a
    dampening effect on the trailer sway and I used that successfully a few times on that trip.

Also, avoid drop-down hitches, use tires designed for trailer use, and
    have the trailer close to horizontal, not nose high or low. Make sure
    tires are fully inflated.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Galloway@21:1/5 to Dan Goldman on Thu Jul 13 10:18:20 2023
    On Thursday, 13 July 2023 at 00:33:53 UTC+1, Dan Goldman wrote:

Thanks all !
    Dan G

Just for interest, speaking re my previous and current Volvos, the lane centring and trailer stability assist functions are different things. When the Volvo towbar is fitted they install the TSA software and it is enabled when the trailer is hitched on.
    The manual says:

"The trailer stability assist function continually monitors the car's movements, particularly lateral movements. If snaking is detected, the front wheels are individually braked. This serves to stabilise the car/trailer combination. This is often enough
    to help the driver regain control of the car. If snaking is not eliminated the first time that trailer stability assist intervenes, the car/trailer combination is braked with all wheels and the car's traction is reduced. Once snaking has been gradually
    suppressed and the car/trailer combination is stable once again, the system stops regulating and the driver once again has full control of the car. Trailer stability assist may fail to intervene if the driver uses severe steering wheel movements to try
    to rectify the snaking because in such a situation the system cannot determine whether it is the trailer or the driver causing the snaking."

Volvo "Pilot Assist" steering (which steers the car in the lane on major roads) is automatically disabled when a trailer is attached

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From rec.aviation.soaring@21:1/5 to soa...@yahoo.com on Fri Jul 14 04:51:24 2023
    On Thursday, July 13, 2023 at 12:46:28 PM UTC-4, soa...@yahoo.com wrote:

Back in 1987 at the OSTIV Conference Nelson Funston presented a paper titled:
    THE INFLUENCE OF DESIGN PARAMETERS ON GLIDER TRAILER TOWING BEHAVIOR

The paper is available here: https://journals.sfu.ca/ts/index.php/ts/article/view/779/737

Just want to say thank you for posting the link to this paper - and to Nelson Funston for writing this!!!
    I am in the process of ordering a custom aluminum "car hauler" trailer to tow a Van's RV-12 airplane cross-country like a glider.
    This is timely and very relevant and may help save me from a driving disaster. My tow vehicle is a full-size pickup with a camper top which, according to the paper, helps.

Stuart

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike the Strike@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 14 09:13:06 2023
    If the lane centering feature is designed for a primarily passenger vehicle it could make things worse - I have heard anecdotal stories to this effect from a couple of owners.

My personal experience with this feature while not towing has not been good. With dry conditions and good road markings, it can work well. With faded or missing lane lines, it can be worse. One car assumed that a patch of shiny tar in the middle of
    the road was a lane line and attempted to steer me away from it into oncoming traffic. Near my summer cottage, an old lane marker line becomes visible when wet and confuses the hell out of my car. Vehicle vision and intelligence still isn't quite up to
    human levels in my experience. This is one feature that I disable. Even my forward-looking anti-collision radar isn't perfect and has trouble sometimes discriminating against vehicles in adjacent lanes that are not a threat.

Mike

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Galloway@21:1/5 to Mike the Strike on Fri Jul 14 10:03:40 2023
    On Friday, 14 July 2023 at 17:13:08 UTC+1, Mike the Strike wrote:
    If the lane centering feature is designed for a primarily passenger vehicle it could make things worse - I have heard anecdotal stories to this effect from a couple of owners.

My personal experience with this feature while not towing has not been good. With dry conditions and good road markings, it can work well. With faded or missing lane lines, it can be worse. One car assumed that a patch of shiny tar in the middle of the
    road was a lane line and attempted to steer me away from it into oncoming traffic. Near my summer cottage, an old lane marker line becomes visible when wet and confuses the hell out of my car. Vehicle vision and intelligence still isn't quite up to human
    levels in my experience. This is one feature that I disable. Even my forward-looking anti-collision radar isn't perfect and has trouble sometimes discriminating against vehicles in adjacent lanes that are not a threat.

Mike

Mike, that seems to be in accord with Volvo's thinking, the lane keeping is automatically disabled and the trailer stability assist system automatically enabled when trailer electrics are hooked up.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark628CA@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 14 14:44:34 2023
    REALLY looking forward to all the AI controlled self-driving cars, trucks and buses.
    Yes, that was sarcasm.

And all of the autonomously piloted drones and airliners should be even more entertaining.

Personally, I take the duties of driving quite seriously, and I only use basic cruise control. Drove a new Ram truck with all of the lane-hold, adaptive cruise bells and whistles recently. Disabled EVERYTHING as soon as I could, as it seemed that the
    truck was possessed by demons. It decelerated violently when the sensors picked up a car safely entering my lane ahead of me and acted like it was saving me from a head-on collision instead of encountering a very normal and benign road condition. I
    prefer to be PIC in my glider, as well as captain of my fate in a vehicle.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 14 17:24:55 2023
    We engineers call that "sensitivity". Apparently the vehicle engineers/manufacturers missed class on that day.

Dan
    5J

On 7/14/23 15:44, Mark628CA wrote:
    REALLY looking forward to all the AI controlled self-driving cars, trucks and buses.
    Yes, that was sarcasm.

And all of the autonomously piloted drones and airliners should be even more entertaining.

Personally, I take the duties of driving quite seriously, and I only use basic cruise control. Drove a new Ram truck with all of the lane-hold, adaptive cruise bells and whistles recently. Disabled EVERYTHING as soon as I could, as it seemed that the
    truck was possessed by demons. It decelerated violently when the sensors picked up a car safely entering my lane ahead of me and acted like it was saving me from a head-on collision instead of encountering a very normal and benign road condition. I

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From s.bralla.ret@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 14 20:04:35 2023
    On Friday, July 14, 2023 at 2:44:37 PM UTC-7, Mark628CA wrote:
    Yes, that was sarcasm.

But Mark, with everything turned off how do you clap with the classic rock song? That's what I want to be able to do as I/pick up truck drive. Isn't that the most important thing?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Blackburn@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 15 02:17:41 2023
    Yup. In my graduate control systems class way back when I designed and built a weather vane that flew backwards. It was a simple Proportional-Derivative analog feedback and control system. Worked great - well damped with almost no overshoot. It also had
    a joystick. No one could fly it by hand. At most two cycles and you were done.

A glider trailer hooked to a passenger vehicle isn't as unstable as a weather vane with it's tail into the wind but it's not a well-damped system at all. So, beyond a certain point it can be uncontrollable by a human operator. A well-designed control
    system could almost certainly out-perform a human operator, but - and here's the rub - the control system design really needs to integrate the dynamics of the system it is trying to control. 1500 lbs on a center pivot represents a huge rotational moment
    of inertia. Hooking it to the hitch on your car completely alters the lateral dynamics of a vehicle with four tires at the corners. Also, a glider trailer is different from a 5th wheel and different from a camper - and both are way different from a semi-
    trailer with wheels at the back end. So if a system designed for any of those got applied to glider trailer towing and it worked it either would be by accident or because you didn't put it in a situation that tested the dynamics much.

I would definitely not turn on autopilot while towing a 6-figure sailplane.

;-)

Andy Blackburn
    9B

As a retired control theory engineer, I'll offer the opinion that indeed electronic steering has the potential to do a lot better than a human at sway control. The potential is there because electronic sway detection is easily more sensitive than human
    observation and the electronic response is faster and potentially more dynamically accurate. This is the sort of thing that electronic controls can be very good at.

But the rub is that glider pulling is a very tiny corner of the market and different trailers have different dynamics. I don't imagine that trailer pulling gets much engineering attention quite yet. I think, for now, the design goals are just to get
    good steering performance without a trailer and I know that in some cases trailers are overtly ruled out in the owner's manual. Hopefully that'll change in the future.

The analogy here is an advanced fly-by-wire aircraft that's intentionally designed unstable to get various aerodynamic benefits. Those systems can't possibly be controlled by slow humans but can be perfectly controlled by fast electronics. A swaying
    glider trailer is similarly an unstable system that's difficult for slow reaction humans, yet amenable to electronics.

Steve Koerner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Matthew Scutter@21:1/5 to Andy Blackburn on Sat Jul 15 05:01:01 2023
    On Saturday, July 15, 2023 at 11:17:44 AM UTC+2, Andy Blackburn wrote:
    Yup. In my graduate control systems class way back when I designed and built a weather vane that flew backwards. It was a simple Proportional-Derivative analog feedback and control system. Worked great - well damped with almost no overshoot. It also
    had a joystick. No one could fly it by hand. At most two cycles and you were done.

A glider trailer hooked to a passenger vehicle isn't as unstable as a weather vane with it's tail into the wind but it's not a well-damped system at all. So, beyond a certain point it can be uncontrollable by a human operator. A well-designed control
    system could almost certainly out-perform a human operator, but - and here's the rub - the control system design really needs to integrate the dynamics of the system it is trying to control. 1500 lbs on a center pivot represents a huge rotational moment
    of inertia. Hooking it to the hitch on your car completely alters the lateral dynamics of a vehicle with four tires at the corners. Also, a glider trailer is different from a 5th wheel and different from a camper - and both are way different from a semi-
    trailer with wheels at the back end. So if a system designed for any of those got applied to glider trailer towing and it worked it either would be by accident or because you didn't put it in a situation that tested the dynamics much.

;-)

Andy Blackburn
    9B
    As a retired control theory engineer, I'll offer the opinion that indeed electronic steering has the potential to do a lot better than a human at sway control. The potential is there because electronic sway detection is easily more sensitive than
    human observation and the electronic response is faster and potentially more dynamically accurate. This is the sort of thing that electronic controls can be very good at.

Steve Koerner

I drive about 3000km per year towing my quite large Diana 2 trailer with a Tesla Model 3, always on Autopilot. It just works, no wobbles. However it's usually not a particularly wobbly trailer, it only really gets a wobble going in crosswinds with
    overtaking/being overtaken by road trains.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From andy l@21:1/5 to Andy Blackburn on Sat Jul 15 05:27:35 2023
    Actually, I think that for most trailers and most cars, although there is a natural frequency that can be found, the system is well-damped.

But some combinations are better than others. On the largest trailer I've towed, which is about 7 or 8 feet wide and high, I far preferred it at 70-75 mph on a French autoroute behind my Citroen Xantia than at 55 mph with a Range Rover on a UK motorway.

For Cobra trailers, and for most cars, I don't think we'll discover an unsafe speed. Or not on a public road anyway. The few accidents (I can think of two Duo Discus trailers), and I couple of sways I've seen when someone else was driving seem to come
    from a small divergence mishandled then panic.

I towed a friend's Arcus trailer to drop off in south east England ahead of a family trip abroad. "What did you think of the trailer, not as nice as a Cobra?" he asked. "When I got home last night I told my mum we were leaving 10 minutes earlier than my
    previous suggestion." That's as undramatic as towing should be.

The Swan trailers for our club Discuses weigh about 120 kg on the tow hitch (checked with bathroom scales with someone standing in the back), so might be counted as too heavy on most cars, but I wonder if there is a secret good reason, and what would
    happen if the axle was moved slightly forwards. So given a chance I'd swap and take the Cobra (which also uses slightly less fuel)

On Saturday, 15 July 2023 at 10:17:44 UTC+1, Andy Blackburn wrote:
    Yup. In my graduate control systems class way back when I designed and built a weather vane that flew backwards. It was a simple Proportional-Derivative analog feedback and control system. Worked great - well damped with almost no overshoot. It also
    had a joystick. No one could fly it by hand. At most two cycles and you were done.

;-)

Andy Blackburn
    9B
    As a retired control theory engineer, I'll offer the opinion that indeed electronic steering has the potential to do a lot better than a human at sway control. The potential is there because electronic sway detection is easily more sensitive than
    human observation and the electronic response is faster and potentially more dynamically accurate. This is the sort of thing that electronic controls can be very good at.

Steve Koerner

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From andy l@21:1/5 to Steve Koerner on Sat Jul 15 05:57:13 2023
    Do or would such systems work from accelerometers mounted in various places, or are they just deriving tyre slip from signals in the ABS system?

It's possible for a human to see sway of an inch or less in the rear view mirror, but barely feel it. On some occasion a Hungarian policeman showed me video of the back of the trailer allegedly swaying. He'd zoomed the camera right in, showing only about
    a third of the back of the trailer, and the movement was probably 6 to 12 millimetres, and neither constant frequency nor continuous. Would that be detectable by sensors on upmarket cars?

On Tuesday, 11 July 2023 at 20:05:56 UTC+1, Steve Koerner wrote:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David Martin@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 15 06:57:32 2023
    On my Kia Carnival the lane keeping with the trailer attached got very scary very fast. It seemed to increase the sway doing the lane centering exactly opposite of what was needed to stabalize the trailer. Without the trailer it works well although
    like others I disable it as it is agressive in keeping to the center.

BV

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mark628CA@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jul 15 06:27:49 2023
    If the tow vehicle has a short wheelbase and/or low mass, trailer sway can be disconcerting and even dangerous. There are a variety of anti-sway or damping devices available to help control swaying. I have installed several of the clamping hitches from
    AL-KO Kober on customer trailers, and they are great! Expensive, and you are limited to a 50 mm hitch ball, but very effective. (It won't work with a 2 inch or 1 7/8 inch.) There are also friction bars that are less expensive but require custom
    installation and may impair the operation of the surge brake mechanism.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Reese/83660.html

I think that the "lane centering" feature being discussed is unlikely to be capable of handling the unique characteristics of a sailplane trailer- very long, much mass behind the axle, a big fin on the back to interact with crosswinds, etc. Pretty sure
    the designers of the towing vehicle's lane control software systems have virtually no clue about the dynamics of a glider trailer.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Johnson@21:1/5 to David Martin on Sat Jul 15 14:33:50 2023
    On Saturday, July 15, 2023 at 6:57:34 AM UTC-7, David Martin wrote:
    On my Kia Carnival the lane keeping with the trailer attached got very scary very fast. It seemed to increase the sway doing the lane centering exactly opposite of what was needed to stabalize the trailer. Without the trailer it works well although
    like others I disable it as it is agressive in keeping to the center.

BV
    Same experience with my Honda Ridgeline. With lane centering turned off, a single abrupt steering wheel movement easily recovers from the sway on its own. But with lane centering turned on, any glider trailer sway event increasingly worsens. Also,
    slight lane corrections that the system generated often resulted in growing sway and some tense moments getting back under control. Mine clearly gets into bad correction feedback and it is very difficult to stop it. I tried to brace the steering wheel
    but the slight pushback is enough to keep the party going. I had to brake and slow dramatically while fumbling to find the out-of-sight off switch. I don't like the feel of it without a trailer either so I just leave it off. Anti-sway systems sound
    interesting and useful.

JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Blackburn@21:1/5 to Matthew Scutter on Sat Jul 15 19:58:27 2023
    Like anything, it depends. A model 3 weighs 4,000 lbs and that helps. If you tow a glider trailer behind large RV it won't notice, but your glider might be in for some nice g-forces. The lighter the tow vehicle, the more heavy and/or neutrally stable the
    trailer, the smaller the contact patch on the tow vehicle tires and the longer the distance from the rear tires to the hitch and/or shorter the tow vehicle wheelbase, the more things are likely to get sketchy. At some point the problem migrates from
    mostly simple mass ratios to a dynamic one where the first and second derivatives take over.

At least that's how I think about it from a systems perspective.

My tow vehicle is a 5,000 lb SUV with fat tires. I've towed up to 100 mph without a wobble, so my main constraint is the speed rating on the trailer tires. I don't go that fast for long. It wasn't always that way. I towed my first glider with a VW
    Scirocco. That went sideways without warning.

Andy

On Saturday, July 15, 2023 at 5:01:04 AM UTC-7, Matthew Scutter wrote:

;-)

Andy Blackburn
    9B

But the rub is that glider pulling is a very tiny corner of the market and different trailers have different dynamics. I don't imagine that trailer pulling gets much engineering attention quite yet. I think, for now, the design goals are just to
    get good steering performance without a trailer and I know that in some cases trailers are overtly ruled out in the owner's manual. Hopefully that'll change in the future.

The analogy here is an advanced fly-by-wire aircraft that's intentionally designed unstable to get various aerodynamic benefits. Those systems can't possibly be controlled by slow humans but can be perfectly controlled by fast electronics. A
    swaying glider trailer is similarly an unstable system that's difficult for slow reaction humans, yet amenable to electronics.

Steve Koerner
    I drive about 3000km per year towing my quite large Diana 2 trailer with a Tesla Model 3, always on Autopilot. It just works, no wobbles. However it's usually not a particularly wobbly trailer, it only really gets a wobble going in crosswinds with

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to kinsell on Sat Jul 15 20:55:01 2023
    On Thursday, July 13, 2023 at 10:13:01 AM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:

Drop-down hitches are very common, and provide an easy way to keep the trailer horizontal. What makes them undesirable?
    My van has such a low mounted receiver, I have to use the opposite of a drop-down, with the ball about 8" higher than the receiver. The hitch seemed loose and rattled in the receiver, so I added a clamp that stopped the looseness and rattle. It also
    raised the start of swaying about 4 -5 mph.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andy Blackburn@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Sat Jul 15 23:18:38 2023
    I would imagine it would only make a difference if it put the ball further aft, which would give the trailer swinging more leverage from the longer moment arm. I also don't really understand the dynamic or static stability of having the trailer perfectly
    level front to back. Sure, it looks funky and if the tail is too low it affects ground clearance, but I don't get the mechanism by which it affects lateral stability.

Andy

On Saturday, July 15, 2023 at 8:55:04 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Also, avoid drop-down hitches, use tires designed for trailer use, and have the trailer close to horizontal, not nose high or low. Make sure tires are fully inflated.
    Drop-down hitches are very common, and provide an easy way to keep the trailer horizontal. What makes them undesirable?
    My van has such a low mounted receiver, I have to use the opposite of a drop-down, with the ball about 8" higher than the receiver. The hitch seemed loose and rattled in the receiver, so I added a clamp that stopped the looseness and rattle. It also

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Sarah Anderson@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Sun Jul 16 07:53:13 2023
    Hi Eric,

I'd be interested in what kind of clamp you used. I have the same issue with the OEM Honda receiver.

On 7/15/23 10:55 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Greenwell@21:1/5 to Sarah Anderson on Sun Jul 16 06:16:28 2023
    On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 5:53:18 AM UTC-7, Sarah Anderson wrote:
    Hi Eric,

I'd be interested in what kind of clamp you used. I have the same issue with the OEM Honda receiver.

I got it from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001CMUV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Johnson@21:1/5 to Eric Greenwell on Sun Jul 16 14:49:45 2023
    On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 6:16:30 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
    On Sunday, July 16, 2023 at 5:53:18 AM UTC-7, Sarah Anderson wrote:
    Hi Eric,

Also, avoid drop-down hitches, use tires designed for trailer use, and >> have the trailer close to horizontal, not nose high or low. Make sure >> tires are fully inflated.
    My van has such a low mounted receiver, I have to use the opposite of a drop-down, with the ball about 8" higher than the receiver. The hitch seemed loose and rattled in the receiver, so I added a clamp that stopped the looseness and rattle. It
    also raised the start of swaying about 4 -5 mph.
    I got it from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001CMUV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've got the same. Was tired of hearing the clunk from the hitch moving around. Works great.

JJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From 2G@21:1/5 to Andy Blackburn on Tue Jul 18 21:28:07 2023
    On Saturday, July 15, 2023 at 7:58:30 PM UTC-7, Andy Blackburn wrote:
    Like anything, it depends. A model 3 weighs 4,000 lbs and that helps. If you tow a glider trailer behind large RV it won't notice, but your glider might be in for some nice g-forces. The lighter the tow vehicle, the more heavy and/or neutrally stable
    the trailer, the smaller the contact patch on the tow vehicle tires and the longer the distance from the rear tires to the hitch and/or shorter the tow vehicle wheelbase, the more things are likely to get sketchy. At some point the problem migrates from
    mostly simple mass ratios to a dynamic one where the first and second derivatives take over.

My tow vehicle is a 5,000 lb SUV with fat tires. I've towed up to 100 mph without a wobble, so my main constraint is the speed rating on the trailer tires. I don't go that fast for long. It wasn't always that way. I towed my first glider with a VW

Andy
    Yup. In my graduate control systems class way back when I designed and built a weather vane that flew backwards. It was a simple Proportional-Derivative analog feedback and control system. Worked great - well damped with almost no overshoot. It
    also had a joystick. No one could fly it by hand. At most two cycles and you were done.

A glider trailer hooked to a passenger vehicle isn't as unstable as a weather vane with it's tail into the wind but it's not a well-damped system at all. So, beyond a certain point it can be uncontrollable by a human operator. A well-designed
    control system could almost certainly out-perform a human operator, but - and here's the rub - the control system design really needs to integrate the dynamics of the system it is trying to control. 1500 lbs on a center pivot represents a huge rotational
    moment of inertia. Hooking it to the hitch on your car completely alters the lateral dynamics of a vehicle with four tires at the corners. Also, a glider trailer is different from a 5th wheel and different from a camper - and both are way different from
    a semi-trailer with wheels at the back end. So if a system designed for any of those got applied to glider trailer towing and it worked it either would be by accident or because you didn't put it in a situation that tested the dynamics much.

;-)

Andy Blackburn
    9B

But the rub is that glider pulling is a very tiny corner of the market and different trailers have different dynamics. I don't imagine that trailer pulling gets much engineering attention quite yet. I think, for now, the design goals are just to
    get good steering performance without a trailer and I know that in some cases trailers are overtly ruled out in the owner's manual. Hopefully that'll change in the future.

The analogy here is an advanced fly-by-wire aircraft that's intentionally designed unstable to get various aerodynamic benefits. Those systems can't possibly be controlled by slow humans but can be perfectly controlled by fast electronics. A
    swaying glider trailer is similarly an unstable system that's difficult for slow reaction humans, yet amenable to electronics.

Steve Koerner

100 mph towing a TRAILER? REALLY?? That is clearly reckless and dangerous driving. You are lucky a cop wasn't around.

Tom 2G

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nicholas Kennedy@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 19 18:19:41 2023
    On Tuesday, July 18, 2023 at 10:28:10 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:
    On Saturday, July 15, 2023 at 7:58:30 PM UTC-7, Andy Blackburn wrote:
    Like anything, it depends. A model 3 weighs 4,000 lbs and that helps. If you tow a glider trailer behind large RV it won't notice, but your glider might be in for some nice g-forces. The lighter the tow vehicle, the more heavy and/or neutrally stable
    the trailer, the smaller the contact patch on the tow vehicle tires and the longer the distance from the rear tires to the hitch and/or shorter the tow vehicle wheelbase, the more things are likely to get sketchy. At some point the problem migrates from

Andy
    Yup. In my graduate control systems class way back when I designed and built a weather vane that flew backwards. It was a simple Proportional-Derivative analog feedback and control system. Worked great - well damped with almost no overshoot. It
    also had a joystick. No one could fly it by hand. At most two cycles and you were done.

A glider trailer hooked to a passenger vehicle isn't as unstable as a weather vane with it's tail into the wind but it's not a well-damped system at all. So, beyond a certain point it can be uncontrollable by a human operator. A well-designed
    control system could almost certainly out-perform a human operator, but - and here's the rub - the control system design really needs to integrate the dynamics of the system it is trying to control. 1500 lbs on a center pivot represents a huge rotational
    moment of inertia. Hooking it to the hitch on your car completely alters the lateral dynamics of a vehicle with four tires at the corners. Also, a glider trailer is different from a 5th wheel and different from a camper - and both are way different from
    a semi-trailer with wheels at the back end. So if a system designed for any of those got applied to glider trailer towing and it worked it either would be by accident or because you didn't put it in a situation that tested the dynamics much.

;-)

Andy Blackburn
    9B
    As a retired control theory engineer, I'll offer the opinion that indeed electronic steering has the potential to do a lot better than a human at sway control. The potential is there because electronic sway detection is easily more sensitive
    than human observation and the electronic response is faster and potentially more dynamically accurate. This is the sort of thing that electronic controls can be very good at.

But the rub is that glider pulling is a very tiny corner of the market and different trailers have different dynamics. I don't imagine that trailer pulling gets much engineering attention quite yet. I think, for now, the design goals are just
    to get good steering performance without a trailer and I know that in some cases trailers are overtly ruled out in the owner's manual. Hopefully that'll change in the future.

Steve Koerner
    100 mph towing a TRAILER? REALLY?? That is clearly reckless and dangerous driving. You are lucky a cop wasn't around.

Tom 2G

9B
    Make sure you in the right lane at 100 in your Porsche when these guys pass you on the way to Ely
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E0LYU0AYG8

Nick
    not yet retired motorhead
    T

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dan Marotta@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 20 08:59:58 2023
    V293IQ0KDQpEaWQgeW91IHNlZSBhbGwgb2YgdGhhdCBjYXJib24gcG9sbHV0aW9uPyAgT29w cywgc29ycnkuICBEaWRuJ3QgbWVhbiB0byANCnBvaW50IG91dCB0aGUgb2J2aW91cy4gIE1h eWJlIHRoZXkgc2hvdWxkIGhhdmUgdXNlZCBhIFRlc2xhLg0KDQpEYW4NCjVKDQoNCk9uIDcv MTkvMjMgMTk6MTksIE5pY2hvbGFzIEtlbm5lZHkgd3JvdGU6DQo+IE9uIFR1ZXNkYXksIEp1 bHkgMTgsIDIwMjMgYXQgMTA6Mjg6MTDigK9QTSBVVEMtNiwgMkcgd3JvdGU6DQo+PiBPbiBT YXR1cmRheSwgSnVseSAxNSwgMjAyMyBhdCA3OjU4OjMw4oCvUE0gVVRDLTcsIEFuZHkgQmxh Y2tidXJuIHdyb3RlOg0KPj4+IExpa2UgYW55dGhpbmcsIGl0IGRlcGVuZHMuIEEgbW9kZWwg MyB3ZWlnaHMgNCwwMDAgbGJzIGFuZCB0aGF0IGhlbHBzLiBJZiB5b3UgdG93IGEgZ2xpZGVy IHRyYWlsZXIgYmVoaW5kIGxhcmdlIFJWIGl0IHdvbid0IG5vdGljZSwgYnV0IHlvdXIgZ2xp ZGVyIG1pZ2h0IGJlIGluIGZvciBzb21lIG5pY2UgZy1mb3JjZXMuIFRoZSBsaWdodGVyIHRo ZSB0b3cgdmVoaWNsZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgaGVhdnkgYW5kL29yIG5ldXRyYWxseSBzdGFibGUg dGhlIHRyYWlsZXIsIHRoZSBzbWFsbGVyIHRoZSBjb250YWN0IHBhdGNoIG9uIHRoZSB0b3cg dmVoaWNsZSB0aXJlcyBhbmQgdGhlIGxvbmdlciB0aGUgZGlzdGFuY2UgZnJvbSB0aGUgcmVh ciB0aXJlcyB0byB0aGUgaGl0Y2ggYW5kL29yIHNob3J0ZXIgdGhlIHRvdyB2ZWhpY2xlIHdo ZWVsYmFzZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgdGhpbmdzIGFyZSBsaWtlbHkgdG8gZ2V0IHNrZXRjaHkuIEF0 IHNvbWUgcG9pbnQgdGhlIHByb2JsZW0gbWlncmF0ZXMgZnJvbSBtb3N0bHkgc2ltcGxlIG1h c3MgcmF0aW9zIHRvIGEgZHluYW1pYyBvbmUgd2hlcmUgdGhlIGZpcnN0IGFuZCBzZWNvbmQg ZGVyaXZhdGl2ZXMgdGFrZSBvdmVyLg0KPj4+DQo+Pj4gQXQgbGVhc3QgdGhhdCdzIGhvdyBJ IHRoaW5rIGFib3V0IGl0IGZyb20gYSBzeXN0ZW1zIHBlcnNwZWN0aXZlLg0KPj4+DQo+Pj4g TXkgdG93IHZlaGljbGUgaXMgYSA1LDAwMCBsYiBTVVYgd2l0aCBmYXQgdGlyZXMuIEkndmUg dG93ZWQgdXAgdG8gMTAwIG1waCB3aXRob3V0IGEgd29iYmxlLCBzbyBteSBtYWluIGNvbnN0 cmFpbnQgaXMgdGhlIHNwZWVkIHJhdGluZyBvbiB0aGUgdHJhaWxlciB0aXJlcy4gSSBkb24n dCBnbyB0aGF0IGZhc3QgZm9yIGxvbmcuIEl0IHdhc24ndCBhbHdheXMgdGhhdCB3YXkuIEkg dG93ZWQgbXkgZmlyc3QgZ2xpZGVyIHdpdGggYSBWVyBTY2lyb2Njby4gVGhhdCB3ZW50IHNp ZGV3YXlzIHdpdGhvdXQgd2FybmluZy4NCj4+Pg0KPj4+IEFuZHkNCj4+PiBPbiBTYXR1cmRh eSwgSnVseSAxNSwgMjAyMyBhdCA1OjAxOjA04oCvQU0gVVRDLTcsIE1hdHRoZXcgU2N1dHRl ciB3cm90ZToNCj4+Pj4gT24gU2F0dXJkYXksIEp1bHkgMTUsIDIwMjMgYXQgMTE6MTc6NDTi gK9BTSBVVEMrMiwgQW5keSBCbGFja2J1cm4gd3JvdGU6DQo+Pj4+PiBZdXAuIEluIG15IGdy YWR1YXRlIGNvbnRyb2wgc3lzdGVtcyBjbGFzcyB3YXkgYmFjayB3aGVuIEkgZGVzaWduZWQg YW5kIGJ1aWx0IGEgd2VhdGhlciB2YW5lIHRoYXQgZmxldyBiYWNrd2FyZHMuIEl0IHdhcyBh IHNpbXBsZSBQcm9wb3J0aW9uYWwtRGVyaXZhdGl2ZSBhbmFsb2cgZmVlZGJhY2sgYW5kIGNv bnRyb2wgc3lzdGVtLiBXb3JrZWQgZ3JlYXQgLSB3ZWxsIGRhbXBlZCB3aXRoIGFsbW9zdCBu byBvdmVyc2hvb3QuIEl0IGFsc28gaGFkIGEgam95c3RpY2suIE5vIG9uZSBjb3VsZCBmbHkg aXQgYnkgaGFuZC4gQXQgbW9zdCB0d28gY3ljbGVzIGFuZCB5b3Ugd2VyZSBkb25lLg0KPj4+ Pj4NCj4+Pj4+IEEgZ2xpZGVyIHRyYWlsZXIgaG9va2VkIHRvIGEgcGFzc2VuZ2VyIHZlaGlj bGUgaXNuJ3QgYXMgdW5zdGFibGUgYXMgYSB3ZWF0aGVyIHZhbmUgd2l0aCBpdCdzIHRhaWwg aW50byB0aGUgd2luZCBidXQgaXQncyBub3QgYSB3ZWxsLWRhbXBlZCBzeXN0ZW0gYXQgYWxs LiBTbywgYmV5b25kIGEgY2VydGFpbiBwb2ludCBpdCBjYW4gYmUgdW5jb250cm9sbGFibGUg YnkgYSBodW1hbiBvcGVyYXRvci4gQSB3ZWxsLWRlc2lnbmVkIGNvbnRyb2wgc3lzdGVtIGNv dWxkIGFsbW9zdCBjZXJ0YWlubHkgb3V0LXBlcmZvcm0gYSBodW1hbiBvcGVyYXRvciwgYnV0 IC0gYW5kIGhlcmUncyB0aGUgcnViIC0gdGhlIGNvbnRyb2wgc3lzdGVtIGRlc2lnbiByZWFs bHkgbmVlZHMgdG8gaW50ZWdyYXRlIHRoZSBkeW5hbWljcyBvZiB0aGUgc3lzdGVtIGl0IGlz IHRyeWluZyB0byBjb250cm9sLiAxNTAwIGxicyBvbiBhIGNlbnRlciBwaXZvdCByZXByZXNl bnRzIGEgaHVnZSByb3RhdGlvbmFsIG1vbWVudCBvZiBpbmVydGlhLiBIb29raW5nIGl0IHRv IHRoZSBoaXRjaCBvbiB5b3VyIGNhciBjb21wbGV0ZWx5IGFsdGVycyB0aGUgbGF0ZXJhbCBk eW5hbWljcyBvZiBhIHZlaGljbGUgd2l0aCBmb3VyIHRpcmVzIGF0IHRoZSBjb3JuZXJzLiBB bHNvLCBhIGdsaWRlciB0cmFpbGVyIGlzIGRpZmZlcmVudCBmcm9tIGEgNXRoIHdoZWVsIGFu ZCBkaWZmZXJlbnQgZnJvbSBhIGNhbXBlciAtIGFuZCBib3RoIGFyZSB3YXkgZGlmZmVyZW50 IGZyb20gYSBzZW1pLXRyYWlsZXIgd2l0aCB3aGVlbHMgYXQgdGhlIGJhY2sgZW5kLiBTbyBp ZiBhIHN5c3RlbSBkZXNpZ25lZCBmb3IgYW55IG9mIHRob3NlIGdvdCBhcHBsaWVkIHRvIGds aWRlciB0cmFpbGVyIHRvd2luZyBhbmQgaXQgd29ya2VkIGl0IGVpdGhlciB3b3VsZCBiZSBi eSBhY2NpZGVudCBvciBiZWNhdXNlIHlvdSBkaWRuJ3QgcHV0IGl0IGluIGEgc2l0dWF0aW9u IHRoYXQgdGVzdGVkIHRoZSBkeW5hbWljcyBtdWNoLg0KPj4+Pj4NCj4+Pj4+IEkgd291bGQg ZGVmaW5pdGVseSBub3QgdHVybiBvbiBhdXRvcGlsb3Qgd2hpbGUgdG93aW5nIGEgNi1maWd1 cmUgc2FpbHBsYW5lLg0KPj4+Pj4NCj4+Pj4+IDstKQ0KPj4+Pj4NCj4+Pj4+IEFuZHkgQmxh Y2tidXJuDQo+Pj4+PiA5Qg0KPj4+Pj4+IEFzIGEgcmV0aXJlZCBjb250cm9sIHRoZW9yeSBl bmdpbmVlciwgSSdsbCBvZmZlciB0aGUgb3BpbmlvbiB0aGF0IGluZGVlZCBlbGVjdHJvbmlj IHN0ZWVyaW5nIGhhcyB0aGUgcG90ZW50aWFsIHRvIGRvIGEgbG90IGJldHRlciB0aGFuIGEg aHVtYW4gYXQgc3dheSBjb250cm9sLiBUaGUgcG90ZW50aWFsIGlzIHRoZXJlIGJlY2F1c2Ug ZWxlY3Ryb25pYyBzd2F5IGRldGVjdGlvbiBpcyBlYXNpbHkgbW9yZSBzZW5zaXRpdmUgdGhh biBodW1hbiBvYnNlcnZhdGlvbiBhbmQgdGhlIGVsZWN0cm9uaWMgcmVzcG9uc2UgaXMgZmFz dGVyIGFuZCBwb3RlbnRpYWxseSBtb3JlIGR5bmFtaWNhbGx5IGFjY3VyYXRlLiBUaGlzIGlz IHRoZSBzb3J0IG9mIHRoaW5nIHRoYXQgZWxlY3Ryb25pYyBjb250cm9scyBjYW4gYmUgdmVy eSBnb29kIGF0Lg0KPj4+Pj4+DQo+Pj4+Pj4gQnV0IHRoZSBydWIgaXMgdGhhdCBnbGlkZXIg cHVsbGluZyBpcyBhIHZlcnkgdGlueSBjb3JuZXIgb2YgdGhlIG1hcmtldCBhbmQgZGlmZmVy ZW50IHRyYWlsZXJzIGhhdmUgZGlmZmVyZW50IGR5bmFtaWNzLiBJIGRvbid0IGltYWdpbmUg dGhhdCB0cmFpbGVyIHB1bGxpbmcgZ2V0cyBtdWNoIGVuZ2luZWVyaW5nIGF0dGVudGlvbiBx dWl0ZSB5ZXQuIEkgdGhpbmssIGZvciBub3csIHRoZSBkZXNpZ24gZ29hbHMgYXJlIGp1c3Qg dG8gZ2V0IGdvb2Qgc3RlZXJpbmcgcGVyZm9ybWFuY2Ugd2l0aG91dCBhIHRyYWlsZXIgYW5k IEkga25vdyB0aGF0IGluIHNvbWUgY2FzZXMgdHJhaWxlcnMgYXJlIG92ZXJ0bHkgcnVsZWQg b3V0IGluIHRoZSBvd25lcidzIG1hbnVhbC4gSG9wZWZ1bGx5IHRoYXQnbGwgY2hhbmdlIGlu IHRoZSBmdXR1cmUuDQo+Pj4+Pj4NCj4+Pj4+PiBUaGUgYW5hbG9neSBoZXJlIGlzIGFuIGFk dmFuY2VkIGZseS1ieS13aXJlIGFpcmNyYWZ0IHRoYXQncyBpbnRlbnRpb25hbGx5IGRlc2ln bmVkIHVuc3RhYmxlIHRvIGdldCB2YXJpb3VzIGFlcm9keW5hbWljIGJlbmVmaXRzLiBUaG9z ZSBzeXN0ZW1zIGNhbid0IHBvc3NpYmx5IGJlIGNvbnRyb2xsZWQgYnkgc2xvdyBodW1hbnMg YnV0IGNhbiBiZSBwZXJmZWN0bHkgY29udHJvbGxlZCBieSBmYXN0IGVsZWN0cm9uaWNzLiBB IHN3YXlpbmcgZ2xpZGVyIHRyYWlsZXIgaXMgc2ltaWxhcmx5IGFuIHVuc3RhYmxlIHN5c3Rl bSB0aGF0J3MgZGlmZmljdWx0IGZvciBzbG93IHJlYWN0aW9uIGh1bWFucywgeWV0IGFtZW5h YmxlIHRvIGVsZWN0cm9uaWNzLg0KPj4+Pj4+DQo+Pj4+Pj4gU3RldmUgS29lcm5lcg0KPj4+ PiBJIGRyaXZlIGFib3V0IDMwMDBrbSBwZXIgeWVhciB0b3dpbmcgbXkgcXVpdGUgbGFyZ2Ug RGlhbmEgMiB0cmFpbGVyIHdpdGggYSBUZXNsYSBNb2RlbCAzLCBhbHdheXMgb24gQXV0b3Bp bG90LiBJdCBqdXN0IHdvcmtzLCBubyB3b2JibGVzLiBIb3dldmVyIGl0J3MgdXN1YWxseSBu b3QgYSBwYXJ0aWN1bGFybHkgd29iYmx5IHRyYWlsZXIsIGl0IG9ubHkgcmVhbGx5IGdldHMg YSB3b2JibGUgZ29pbmcgaW4gY3Jvc3N3aW5kcyB3aXRoIG92ZXJ0YWtpbmcvYmVpbmcgb3Zl cnRha2VuIGJ5IHJvYWQgdHJhaW5zLg0KPj4gMTAwIG1waCB0b3dpbmcgYSBUUkFJTEVSPyBS RUFMTFk/PyBUaGF0IGlzIGNsZWFybHkgcmVja2xlc3MgYW5kIGRhbmdlcm91cyBkcml2aW5n LiBZb3UgYXJlIGx1Y2t5IGEgY29wIHdhc24ndCBhcm91bmQuDQo+Pg0KPj4gVG9tIDJHDQo+ IA0KPiANCj4gOUINCj4gTWFrZSBzdXJlIHlvdSBpbiAgdGhlIHJpZ2h0IGxhbmUgIGF0IDEw MCBpbiB5b3VyIFBvcnNjaGUgIHdoZW4gdGhlc2UgZ3V5cyBwYXNzIHlvdSBvbiB0aGUgd2F5 IHRvIEVseQ0KPiBodHRwczovL3d3dy55b3V0dWJlLmNvbS93YXRjaD92PV9FMExZVTBBWUc4 DQo+IA0KPiBOaWNrDQo+IG5vdCB5ZXQgcmV0aXJlZCBtb3RvcmhlYWQNCj4gVA0K

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05