• Naval Aviation "A" School in Millington, TN

From dafy35@yahoo.gr@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 23 14:23:46 2016
    Τη Τρίτη, 6 Μαΐου 1997 - 10:00:00 π.μ. UTC+3, ο χρήστης wcam...@datastar.net έγραψε:
    I am going to Millington, Tennessee for 6 months after boot camp.
    Their training me to be an aviation electrian. Does anybody have any
    info on this place?
    Casey Cameron
    wcameron@datastar.net

Hi was there from april to septemper 1991 for AE A1 training good luck, i had a wonderfull time . I was sent thre by the Greek Navy.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From tfrankgeo@gmail.com@21:1/5 to CJ Martin on Tue Jul 26 06:50:17 2016
    On Friday, May 9, 1997 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-5, CJ Martin wrote:
    In article <19970509012000.VAA00866@ladder02.news.aol.com>, aa767er@aol.com (AA767ER) wrote:
    Welcome to the world of Navair, I started my aviation career there in 1983 >at AV "A" school, at the time thats where AT's, AQ's, and AX's went, but >from what I understand AQ's and AX's no longer exsist. Your getting into a >great career field, even though I was an AT, are shops were combined
    AE/AT. If your planing to get into the civil field afterwards try to get >"O" level, i.e. squadron. I'ved worked for Lockheed, DEA, general
    aviation, and now AA. Even know I needed an A&P license to get these jobs, >I was always hired as a avionics tech. Over half of the avionics crew on >the 767 line I work are either ex-navy or marine avionics or electrical >types.

Good Luck,

Jim
    By the way you're gonna find out that AE stands for Aviation Everything

In the east coast Tomcat world of the mid 80's, we had an IWT shop
    (AT/AQ) and an AE shop.

BTW, the nickname for an AE is "one wire"...because they never can
    seem to fix anything that has more than one wire...<G>

Boy, do I have some good AE stories...like the time a couple of AE's
    replaced the speedbrake switch in the throttle...the next time the jet
    was flown (by the XO!), the speedbrakes would pop out every time the
    #1 UHF radio was keyed...

..or the time the AE's miss-wired a relay, so that every time the
    pilot would hit the DLC/chaff button on the stick, the spoilers would
    come out (and chaff would be expended)!

..or when we IWTer's were stuck with a gripe on an AWG-9 antenna that
    we could not fiigure out. The antenna went bad in flight was changed,
    and then would not work...even if "known good" antennas were hung on
    the jet (and BTW, robbing an antenna SUCKS!). All the voltages read good...what gives? Later during an engine turn, I ran up the radar
    (IWT was required to supply a backseater during maintenace turns in
    order to run certain tests) and was shocked to hear the antenna come
    on line, and check good! Turns out that when we removed the original
    (bad) antenna, but before we hung the new one, the AE's had rewired
    the ground power contactors...and got the phases messed up!
    Arrrggghhh!!!!

Ah, the good ole days...

CJ
    (former AT2, VF-33 Starfighters)

Yes, NATTC was the good ole days. I was an AE. Made the Day (capt. mast). I snuck a girl into the barracks, asshole roommate reported me... lol Never did like the Navy 4.0 assholes...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From socialdanzer@gmail.com@21:1/5 to wcam...@datastar.net on Sun Jan 6 18:50:48 2019
    On Tuesday, May 6, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, wcam...@datastar.net wrote:
    info on this place?
    Casey Cameron
    wcameron@datastar.net

I was in Boot Camp at Great Lakes NTC Summer of 1949, some of us from our Boot Camp Company got sent to Millington Fall of 1949. First week we were tested to see how good we were at soldering electrical wires. I stayed there for Aviation Machinist Mate
    School, and two of my friends who wanted to be an Aviation Bo'sun mate because they worked with their dad who was a plumber, got that, ended up on the Catapults on the ... forgot the carrier, might have been the Boxer.
    My final test was to change the fuel pump on an F4F, simple, no problem, got shipped to VP-42 at North Island NAS. I liked San Diego, had to rent a locker for our civilian clothes, lots of clubs, lots of things to do locally and in Mexico ...
    Some months later, I was changing spark plugs on a PBM Mariner, Chief yelled up at me to pack my seabags.
    Why Chief?
    You're going to sea.
    Where do I go?
    The ship at the end of the dock.
    Next day, seabag on my shoulder, no back pack straps, I boarded CV-47 USS Philippine Sea headed for the Korean War, this was the start of the Korean War. I ended up pumping gas as an Aviation Bo'sun Mate and most of us from North Island were placed in
    all kinds of jobs where sailors were still on leave, having a good time in Mexico, etc.
    I swore in for three years, but President Truman gave me a One Year Extension, he could not win the Korean War without me and those of us who joined for three years ... ended up three years and ten months, and then became a Reborn Civilian !!!! GI BILL
    etc. etc. ETC.
    Re: Millington, rode the bus to Memphis, did not know about Elvis in 1949, my pay was about $80 a month, don't recall exactly, but time at Millington NAS went by quickly, don't recall much about what we did when we were not in school .... I liked
    Memphis, did not know much then, no Google, no Internet to learn, only had Life magazine and National Geographic at the barber shop, etc. to learn more about the world .....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From xairedale@gmail.com@21:1/5 to wcam...@datastar.net on Wed Mar 27 09:38:04 2019
    On Tuesday, May 6, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, wcam...@datastar.net wrote:
    info on this place?
    Casey Cameron
    wcameron@datastar.net

I went there in the Summer of 1978, after the USS Constellation CV 64 WestPac "77-78" Cruise. I Attended ADJ portion of the Aviation Program.
    I drove from NAS North Island San Diego, California to Naval Aviation "A" School in Millington, TN.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millington,_Tennessee

Take a Vehicle with you if you have one.

ADJ/GSM 1 Russell

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From brianchambers01@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 11 08:01:48 2019
    I barfed on the same pool table in 1989

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From pilotjim77@gmail.com@21:1/5 to wcam...@datastar.net on Wed Jan 8 16:59:07 2020
    On Tuesday, May 6, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, wcam...@datastar.net wrote:
    info on this place?
    Casey Cameron
    wcameron@datastar.net

Went to A school in Millington, March-May 1984. Hot, humid, crappy place to be. Memphis was cool, but I had to rent a car to get there. I also rode my first horse there on base....there was a little horse stable there where you could rent a horse for
    like 3 bucks an hour. I also took 2 or 3 flying lessons at the flying club. That was really cool! Also met a really cute girl who was way too young, but she was horny as hell. Ah, the memories!!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven Hill@21:1/5 to James Corley on Sun Jul 3 20:52:14 2022
    On Tuesday, May 6, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, James Corley wrote:
    In <336e9ce3...@news1.alterdial.uu.net> wcam...@datastar.net
    writes:

info on this place?
    Casey Cameron
    wcam...@datastar.net

Just north of Memphis,suburb. Go to Graceland, but only if you want to
    see something out of the Beverly Hillbillies! Good God, the 60s and 70s
    were tacky!
    I was there in 1969/70 attending AD(J) school then a "C" school for helicopters and from there to Imperial Beach, Ca.
    Ream Field, if I remember correctly. Spent many nights watching sun go down and then rise again before I went home.
    Then, after a few years, they closed the base and made it NALF Ream Field. Anyway, on to your questions.
    Watch out for hookers in town, never go with one as it is a setup for getting rolled or killed. There were some stables there where I used to go riding, very enjoyable if it is still there. Play it safe. There wasn't much more there that I remember now.
    We stayed in scraggly old wooden barracks that were falling apart.
    Best thing to do is study hard for those promotions. After I got out, I spent 39 1/2 years working at Pratt & Whitney and retired. I was making over $48 an hour when I retired. Would still be working if it wasn't for the cancer. Good Luck.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05