• Anyone know what happened to Sky Life Flying Camp?

From kives15@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Aug 27 20:31:21 2015
    I too was at Skylife in the early 1970s and am in the AIG ad photo. The camp was briefly based in the house in Bedford, NY where I grew up. Lee Barnes & Sky Life moved in after my family moved out in 1969. He rented from my father, as I recall.

I went to the Edinburg camp one year as a camper and one year as a "counselor," which mostly meant working in the kitchen. We counselors lived in an old chicken coop behind the house that headquartered the camp.

It's interesting, and sometimes sad, to read the many stories of Sky Life alumni. Barnes was indisputably a gay pedophile but tried to cover it with macho swagger and constant denunciations of "faggots" and "communists." Perhaps not incongruously, he
    tormented his patently gay and effeminate step-son.

He was also an excellent pilot and instructor, who soloed me when I was 16 with 14 hours in my logbook, if I recall well. The books are long lost.

I passed by the Northville airfield about two years ago and was told by someone there that Barnes was busted for his boy-fondling but somehow got off (avoiding either trial or conviction). However, a few years later he was charged with illegal weapons
    possession, which caused him to flee to Canada, I was told.

I think it was a great initiative to teach kids to fly at an early age, and I don't believe there has ever been a camp similar to Sky Life. But it is also a crime that Barnes could for so many years use his authority and stature to molest some of his
    young campers.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From reschmitt80@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 16 16:50:06 2016
    I was in Sky Life for a few years from about 1973 thru 1976. I went to the camp based at the Plateau Sky Ranch near Northville NY in the summer of 1974 if I recall correctly. Went thru that odd initiation in the underwear. I was told it was about trust
    and performing under pressure. They asked piloting questions during mine (and there were several of us going thru it at the same time). It seemed weird at the time. In retrospect it was creepy. I wasn't harmed and didn't hear of anything else while
    there. I remember we flew to Ottawa in a 172 for a day trip from the camp. I also remember doing KP after dinner, building models in a craft room, sailing lessons, seeing a slide show about clouds. I can't forget sleeping in those tents on a platform
    and taking very cold showers in that outdoor shower arrangement.
    Lee Barnes put on a minor aerobics show in his C-210 one evening. I had a great time at flying camp and wanted to stay longer than my 2 weeks. If I recall correctly, I took (and passed) the written exam at camp.
    In the winter, the 1963 C-172 N2733U came to Washington County Airport, near Pittsburgh, PA. One of the flight instructors, Chris Bromfield, was attending Washington & Jefferson College and giving lessons. This went on for a few years. When he finished,
    Bill Mahoney came to town for college and continued flight instruction. I soloed in 33U, but got my private in the summer between high school and college at a local flight school since the club plane went to camp each summer. Lost touch with the club
    when I went to college.
    I tracked down N2733U a few years ago thru the FAA registry. It's sitting in a guys shed somewhere in New England with the wings off and a few other parts off waiting for a restoration that I'm guessing isn't happening soon. He sent me pictures of it
    in his shed. It was sad to see it stuck there, the plane I learned to fly in. I ultimately got my instrument rating. But unfortunately, I haven't flown for a few years due to recurring kidney stones.
    Bob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From chyde13@hotmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 11 08:00:41 2016
    The real story behind the Club closing its doors. Lee G Barnes was arrested in the summer of 1992. He was originally arrested for possession of an unregistered hand gun. the abuse, I have no personal knowledge, I was a enrolled in the college flight
    program at FMCC in Johnstown. I was never bothered, I didn't fit the mold of a submissive skinny boy. The abuse was real and it was happening right in front of us and we were all oblivious. the abuse seemed to be towards the summer camp kids that
    would come. however, a Fed-Ex pilot who shall remain nameless was a victim in the 1980s. He however remained close with the camp and he even kept his planes at the airfield. he had a counselor approach him the summer of '92 explaining that Barnes gave
    him a list of weird items, small rope, a blindfold, ect and was to meet Barnes at the camp's motorhome. the FedEx pilot knew what that meant, this kid was going to be abused at the hands of this monster. That is when the cops were called, informing
    them of abuse and the handgun. the arrest was made, he got away with it because every man that came forward waited to long to report the crime. no knew witnesses came forward, the DA couldn't prosecute.

The real crime was what happened to the camp following the arrest. Barnes had convinced lenders to loan him money and he borrowed against anything that was available. The house and grounds, the airplanes, with the exception of the 1964 Cessna 172, it
    was too old to use as collateral, the camper, the Lincoln, the plow truck. that all went back to the bank. when the dust settled, 17 college students were left out in the cold, due thousands of dollars. We all sued in a class action case, we won and
    the only thing left was the 1964 Cessna, stored and later auctioned off at Brownell Lumber. it sold in Oct 1994 for $6000. as far as I know, no defendant ever received a dime. Which was not the goal, we know we unlocked the abuse case and hopefully
    taking those kids away from Barnes and exposing him as the monster he was. I felt bad for Jay Treat II and Bill Quegan( sorry if I spelled that wrong). the long time flight instructors who themselves were abused at the hands of Barnes. I have lost
    contact with both of them.

I attended the program at FMCC from Sept 1991-may 1993. I would like to hear from any of my sky life brothers and one sister that I flew with those years. my email- chyde13@hotmail.com

hope to hear from you all soon

Chris Hyde

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From matt@flightland.net@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 13 11:55:34 2016
    I was in the FMCC program 1990-1991, my family couldn't afford other schools I would have preferred. I lived at the campground for a couple of semesters and spent some time there in the summer as well. I heard stories and guarded warnings but didn't
    believe them at first. I ate meals with these guys and often road with Lee to school and back. While Lee came across as genuine, friendly, and helpful I was uncomfortable around him. I never did trust him. I lost my temper, rage level, a few times
    when Lee was drunk and became confrontational. That probably saved me from what others went through. One night a camper approached me about something that happened to him. What exactly happened is his story to tell. I felt responsible for getting him
    out of there because the people his family trusted to care for him violated that trust. We waited until late night and then I snuck him out of the place so he could call his sister from the pay phone in Northville. He did not want to talk to his
    parents about what happened. His sister drove half way across the county to pick him up. I packed up and stayed until his sister got him and then left. I went back one last time that summer to get my logbook but no one was there so I walked in and
    took it. I am glad I did because not long after I heard the place was shuttered and no one had access to their money or records. Because my family piecemealed the payments we didn't loose nearly as much as others but we did loose a lot, thousands, for
    us and it set my college education back years.

I am bad with names but I think I remember Chris, you used to wait tables at the Raindancer? I do wonder what's happened to people. There used to be a kid who would sneak me out milkshakes in the summer from the kitchen, I remember his father flew him
    into the summer camp in a Bonanza. And Ray from NY, the only other person who spent some time in the 'student housing' while I was there. Ray was the one who showed me the intercom system hidden in the ceilings.

I have lived out of state since around 97 and I don't have contact with anyone from sky-life. It would be nice to hear from some of my FMCC classmates or the campers I remember.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jmaloney1@fastmail.fm@21:1/5 to sant...@gmail.com on Wed Jul 27 07:29:37 2016
    On Tuesday, September 16, 2014 at 7:12:32 PM UTC-4, sant...@gmail.com wrote:
    I too attended in the summer of 1986 as a student, and again in 1987 as a staffer where I worked the snack bar. I really enjoyed my first summer, and was super excited to be invited back on full scholarship. However, I left two weeks shy of getting my
    private. Lee etc left me and another camper in charge one night while they went to a lodge meeting. We ended up getting drunk on liquor we found in the main house, and broke into the wine cellar looking for wine. Someone told on us, and the next day I
    was given the option of being sent home, or accepting my "punishment". I was terrified of upsetting my Mom, so I chose the latter. They had me spend the night alone in a cabin at the other end of camp. I was just about to fall asleep when they came to my
    door. They came in and had me remove all of my clothes. They blind folded me, gagged me, and had me bend over a chair with my hands tied. I forget who was with Lee, I think Jay and Bill. They each proceeded to paddle me ten times each with a wooden
    paddle, one on one cheek, the other on the other. Lee finished it off with one strong paddle on both cheeks. They then untied me, and made me hug each of them while I was still naked. I didn't really understand how serious it all was because I was used
    to being abused at the time, and felt like I deserved some sort of punishment. The next morning, I showed the other campers my welts and realized by their reactions how wrong it was. I then freaked out and requested to go home. Skylife had me on a plane
    back to PA that same day. I didn't tell my Mom why I came home early until the cops showed up at our house a short time later. Apparently, some of the other campers reported the incident. NY police contacted PA police, and they showed up at my door. I
    remember them asking me what happened and then taking my Polaroids. I never heard about it again until reading these other reports. I guess its nice to know I wasn't alone, and hopefully my writing this will help someone else. It's strange, aside from
    this, my memories from there are all pretty darn amazing!

I was the other camper that night that helped you get into the wine cellar! I was searching recently on what ever happened to that pig Lee and SkyLife and found this post. I went in 85' as a student, 86' on a partial scholarship, and 87' in charge of
    the dorm. I also went through the secret initiation but that was all. I remember that night we were left in charge of the entire place and got into the wine cellar like it was yesterday. I was sent back to the dorm and when Lee questioned me I told
    him if he touches me I would freak...he wanted me to take a paddle. I was also given the option of the paddle or flight home...I took the flight home and never had contact with them again and police never questioned me. I remember those last couple
    days were very scary and I was so happy to get out.

I remember he had his office overlooking the pool which always freaked me out. He would withhold flight hours unless you were one of his favorite. He would sit you in his office and make himself look like the greatest war hero that ever lived. Looking
    back he was a manipulative prick and I'm thankful I got away from him. So it was a good thing we broke into that cellar for that crappy wine...

At the end of the summer of 86' he took a few kids and all the staff to Vancouver for the 86 worlds fair. I went in an RV across Canada for a couple weeks with him, the instructors, and a couple other kids. I cant believe my parents let me go and
    thankfully nothing happened and it was a great experience. Looking back, I meet a ton of good people at that camp and had a great time flying there. I remember the Apache helicopters coming to the field and tracking the kids as we dove among the weeds.
    The sailing was also great fun. Once, a few of the kids even snuck out late at night and thought it would be cool to walk to town...could not even see the line on the road it was so dark. So there were good times, but there was the dark side of that
    camp which all the kids knew about and felt. If that happened today he would have been sitting in jail. I feel sorry for the any of the kids hurt by this monster.

I do think the instructors and other adults at the camp knew everything that was going on and did nothing so they suk and they need to live with that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From hkcsar@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Feb 19 08:50:01 2017
    Harold Kruger 89-92,pre-paid lost money. The only weird crap that happened to me. I missed a few scheduled flights and Lee brought me into the office and verbally reprimanded me. At the time I had a few jobs and my time management skills were lacking.
    I said I was sorry and will try to be better. He said he could help me by hypnotizing me and clearing up my mental distractions, but to be effective I had to be completely naked... I started laughing at him.... I think I'll pass, and walked out of the
    room, thinking he was totally joking and that was the end of it. I had no idea he was hunting me. What a scumbag!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From alex.g.diez@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 19 22:11:48 2017
    I joined Sky Life on in 1974 and remained a member through 1977, I totally enjoyed myself but was luckily not good looking enough to catch Lee Barns eye. I was on the executive committee of my Chapter which was based at Aviation HS in New York City, and
    was aware that things were going on. The hazing ritual was wierd enough although we accepted the explanation of questioning under duress as a stress test. But it did seem as some of the better looking boys had to go through the hazing and some ritual
    punishment a few more times, back then this was one of the few places a teenager could learn to fly and our enthusiasm over took our sense of reason, not that the visibility of this kind of abuse was publicized and that we knew what we'd be able to
    report it. I lost all touch with the club after a brief visit in 1978 to the camp once more. I did keep a couple of good friends into adulthood from those days though. It's good to know that so,e how that all ended although to think he got away with it
    for 30 years is shocking, Lee Barns death certificate is on line and shows he died of a heart attack in 1993. Sadly there doesn't seem to be a healthy equivalent today for teenagers to learn flying in a similar environment.
    All,the best to everyone out there.
    Alex

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dwe213@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Oct 21 10:08:30 2017
    I've been thinking about writing my story for many years. Thank you tot he guy who started this Post. You helped me to feel less alone, and to understand Lee better. I was a camper from 1978 to 1980, and was the head sailing instructor. Living in the
    cabins, running across the field and back upon waking up, and the excitement of learning to fly was wonderful. I remember working in the "tower", the cool basement library where I read almost every book there, and The GAT trainer where John, my
    instructor, signed my very first logbook entry and whacked the cabin when I didn't look out my "window" before starting a left turn. There was a sailing day when I drove the van full of sailors to the dock, and two hot high school girls were laying out
    in the sun--the only girls I saw all summer.
    I washed the dishes after dinner, carved my name in a table, nursed a baby bird back to health, and felt pride in passing my Private and Instrument Written Exams. We watched "All My Children" every day, and made and ate so much junk food from the snack
    bar that I'm surprised that I'm still alive. :)
    However...

Now, for the creepiness: The basic initiation ceremony consisted of a camper getting naked, being blindfolded and standing in the center of a circle of "inner circle" kids, in an upstairs room of Lee's house. I remember standing there sweating
    profusely and the seconds slowly ticked by, waiting for it to end.

Lee told me that he wanted me to join his "inner circle"--the group of kids that lived there year-round and who attended the local community college. It was an "initiation" ceremony and as such was secret. No one talked about it.

The initiation consisted of me and Dave Polite being given beds to sleep in in Lee's house. At 11:11pm we were awoken and called to another room. Lee blindfolded me, tied my hands behind my back while I was on my knees, and told me to suck his cock
    while he was standing. He was soft. He told me to move my tongue around. I didn't. This went on for maybe 10 minutes. He didn't get hard, and I felt a small victory.
    Then Lee told me move over to a nearby bed, and to "start at the head of the guy and and lick and verbally call out every body part that I was to touch with my tongue, until I got to his feet. The guy that Lee told me to do that to was lying down naked
    was Steve Z. (he was also a flight student and lived there full time and worked at the sales counter, and was pretty much Lee's right hand kid.) I did as instructed, still blindfolded. Lee told me to slow down and linger when I got to Steve's penis.
    Finally, this ordeal ended later that night, and I was sent back to the bed in the house to sleep there the rest of the night. Steve made no sounds during my sex act, and no one ever talked about any of these events.
    The next day I went back to my bunk in the instructors' "chicken coup" and felt nauseous, and started counting the days (25 to go) until I could leave and go home.
    I never told anyone about these experiences for many years--finally telling a girlfriend and my parents about 10 years later. I flew for another year, then stopped. I had mixed feelings about aviation, lost my innocent zeal for it, and stopped flying
    about 6 months later.
    25 years after those events I flew again and flew aerial survey, taught VFR students in Florida, and flew for a Regional for a year before deciding that it was not the lifestyle that I wanted. However, I was happy to have finished something that
    otherwise would have probably been a 30+ year career in commercial aviation. If Steve or Dave are out there, I'd be glad to hear from you, and from anyone who attended Sky-Life. I still have my pin to go along with my mixed memories of those teenage
    summers in at Sky-Life Flying Camp. -David Elliott

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From peacefuljeffrey@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 5 21:36:28 2017
    I am Jeffrey, the person who started this thread back in 2001. My current e-mail address for contacting me about this subject if you wish to is
    peacefuljeffrey@gmail.com

I am still open to discussing this subject (regardless of what aspect, be it happy memories or the more solemn issues that surrounded Sky Life), if anyone cares to.

I don't know when the last time I checked this thread out was, but I was pretty stunned to see that I started it over 16 years ago and that there was a comment left as recently as October 2017. Amazing!

If my getting a discussion about Sky Life started has helped people achieve a needed catharsis about what may have been done to them by Lee Barnes (whom I now know had been a pedophile), I am very glad.

I feel a little guilty about not having posted any updates to this thread over the years, myself. Here is a little more about me.

I attended Sky Life on the recommendation (indeed, on the referral) of a Mr. Steve Wilansky, who was a private pilot and an educator who taught "Flight and Aerospace" at my high school, Smithtown High School East, in Smithtown, NY (on Long Island).

My dad was already a Private Pilot. I was the youngest of the four kids in my family, and my only brother was nine years older and already out of the house and out of college when Dad got his license to fly, so I got the privilege (and it was a privilege!
    ) of getting taken flying by Dad. I believe that I was even in the back seat of a few 172s when Dad was still taking dual instruction. Later, we flew in both 172s and 152s. This was all out of Long Island Islip MacArthur Airport (KISP). Dad and I used to
    fly all over Long Island, out east to Montauk and Block Island, north to Connecticut, and even up the Hudson River VFR corridor (which I don't even know if you can do anymore).

I got ten hours of flight instruction with Jay Treat III as I mentioned earlier, but CORRECTION: I attended in the summer of 1987, not 1986 as I had posted initially. It was the summer after my sophomore year in high school. (Freshman '85/'86; Sophomore '
    86/'87; Junior '87/'88; Senior/graduated '88/'89. I had miscalculated when I first posted.)

After that, I flew with my Dad (not logging time because he was not a CFI) and was a Civil Air Patrol cadet, although I was not particularly dedicated to CAP and didn't go far with it. However, my involvement with CAP got Dad interested: He joined, and
    became a mission pilot with them. I am proud to say that my dad was the first pilot airborne in the search for JFK Jr.'s downed plane with the ELT got picked up. The search was handed off to Massachusetts wing before long, however. Dad got involved with
    CAP in the late '80s and I am proud that he remains active with Squadron 10 on Long Island to this day.

When I was in high school, I entertained the idea of going for an appointment to the U.S. Air Force Academy, flying in the military, becoming an astronaut ... probably in part because of my fascination with aviation combined with my love of comic books.
    I didn't pursue that course seriously for long, though. I think that I just let laziness get the best of me. I'll say more about where I ended up later.

I had a definite aptitude for flying, physically and intellectually, but I didn't maximize it or develop it as I probably should have. <<<<<It's my biggest regret in life.>>>>> At the very least, I should have gone on to be a professional pilot in some
    regard, whether as a CFI, a corporate pilot, a bush pilot, a seaplane charter pilot, an airline pilot--something!

I was a little bit daunted by the studying aspect. I believe now that I had an undiagnosed problem with attention deficit that made it hard to focus and retain info that I read. So I kind of shunned the studying of the books you had to do to become a
    pilot. In particular, there is one thing that stands out as something that discouraged me from becoming a professional pilot. It was a gross misapprehension on my part. I was handed the FAR/AIM book--AND I THOUGHT THAT I HAD TO READ AND KNOW THAT ENTIRE
    THING.

If I had made clear that this was my concern, I'm sure that SOMEONE--my dad or otherwise--would have laughed and reassured me that no, you don't have to read the entire FAR book! And then I would have possibly (not definitely, but possibly) felt less
    pressure and anxiety about the studying, and been able to get it done.

When I was a senior in high school, my dad paid for me to take flying lessons with the commander of my CAP squadron, a great pilot and instructor named Jacques Heinrich. We used a CAP 172, N202NY. I logged a modest number of hours with him and learned a
    lot, but always felt that my knowledge as a developing pilot was an incomplete patchwork. I'm sure that had I kept at it, I would have filled in the gaps. I think that at the time, Jacques was really just developing my physical control of the airplane,
    for the time being.

I didn't complete a rating with Jacques. For some reason, we just sort of tapered off.

In the summer of my sophomore year at college, Dad resumed paying for me to take more flying lessons. It's so long ago, I don't recall how or why it happened. I flew with Jacques once again, and with my hours in the low 30s, he soloed me one day at
    Brookhaven Airport on Long Island.

It was funny. We had been doing pattern work, with Jacques calling out reminders to me at some points, stuff like when to apply flaps, when to throttle back, etc. We were taxiing back for another takeoff when Jacques looked at me and asked, "Do you think
    you can do it without me this time?"

I answered back without any hesitation that yes, I felt that I could--but here's the thing: I thought he was asking whether I believed I could do it with him SHUTTING UP and not giving me tips! I didn't know he meant "without him in the plane" until he
    said to pull up along the grass and let him out!

When I realized what he meant, I played it REAL COOOOOL like I had never been under any confusion. I didn't want him to yank away the offer to let me SOLO-FLY AN AIRPLANE! So I dropped him off, centered myself, found my confidence, and went and did that
    takeoff and landing! It went perfectly! I think that he had me do two or three more before signaled for me to pick him back up.

That was in 1991. I'll have to check my logbook to see whether I did any further flying with Jacques after that day. I cannot remember whether I did, but I know that I did either drop off or taper off and didn't do any flying again until 2002. Using
    money that I inherited when my mother died in 2001, I fulfilled my ambition of getting my private pilot's license. I passed the written exam with only one answer wrong, after studying with the King DVD course and making several 100% scores on practice
    tests with the Gleim book. I passed my flight exam on September 21, 2002 and became a licensed private pilot.

I have never earned a sufficient income to be able to sustain recreational hobby flying, unfortunately. (Refer to my regret that I didn't pursue a career as a pilot.) I was always using that inheritance money to fly, and using my modest income to live.
    My income didn't provide for both. The money I was using to finance my flight instruction and hobby flying dried up around 2007, and so that was the last time I was current. As I said, it's a huge regret.

I've stayed somewhat active in skydiving, though. I had done my first skydives in 1991 but didn't go on to get licensed (I was a college student and it was quite expensive.) I got licensed to skydive just after I got my pilot's license. My last skydives
    were some time this past summer (2017).

I DO hope to one day be able to resume flying. I don't have a plan for making it happen just yet, but one never knows what the future will bring. Of course, a huge amount of that has to do with the deliberate steps you take to make something happen. I
    just don't have any ideas yet.

Again, if this thread has helped you in any way to achieve catharsis or peace, that's excellent and it exceeds my hopes. May all who read this be well and healthy and happy. Please stay in touch.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From peacefuljeffrey@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 5 21:50:13 2017
    I am Jeffrey, the person who started this thread back in 2001. My current e-mail address for contacting me about this subject if you wish to is
    peacefuljeffrey@gmail.com

I am still open to discussing this subject (regardless of what aspect, be it happy memories or the more solemn issues that surrounded Sky Life), if anyone cares to.

I don't know when the last time I checked this thread out was, but I was pretty stunned to see that I started it over 16 years ago and that there was a comment left as recently as October 2017. Amazing!

If my getting a discussion about Sky Life started has helped people achieve a needed catharsis about what may have been done to them by Lee Barnes (whom I now know had been a pedophile), I am very glad.

I feel a little guilty about not having posted any updates to this thread over the years, myself. Here is a little more about me.

I attended Sky Life on the recommendation (indeed, on the referral) of a Mr. Steve Wilansky, who was a private pilot and an educator who taught "Flight and Aerospace" at my high school, Smithtown High School East, in Smithtown, NY (on Long Island).

My dad was already a Private Pilot. I was the youngest of the four kids in my family, and my only brother was nine years older and already out of the house and out of college when Dad got his license to fly, so I got the privilege (and it was a privilege!
    ) of getting taken flying by Dad. I believe that I was even in the back seat of a few 172s when Dad was still taking dual instruction. Later, we flew in both 172s and 152s. This was all out of Long Island Islip MacArthur Airport (KISP). Dad and I used to
    fly all over Long Island, out east to Montauk and Block Island, north to Connecticut, and even up the Hudson River VFR corridor (which I don't even know if you can do anymore).

I got ten hours of flight instruction with Jay Treat III as I mentioned earlier, but CORRECTION: I attended in the summer of 1987, not 1986 as I had posted initially. It was the summer after my sophomore year in high school. (Freshman '85/'86; Sophomore '
    86/'87; Junior '87/'88; Senior/graduated '88/'89. I had miscalculated when I first posted.)

After that, I flew with my Dad (not logging time because he was not a CFI) and was a Civil Air Patrol cadet, although I was not particularly dedicated to CAP and didn't go far with it. However, my involvement with CAP got Dad interested: He joined, and
    became a mission pilot with them. I am proud to say that my dad was the first pilot airborne in the search for JFK Jr.'s downed plane when the ELT got picked up. The search was handed off to Massachusetts wing before long, however, and they're the ones
    who eventually made the find. Dad got involved with CAP in the late '80s and I am proud that he remains active with Squadron 10 on Long Island to this day. He loves educating kids about aviation, and he's quite good at it.

When I was in high school, I entertained the idea of trying for an appointment to the U.S. Air Force Academy, flying in the military, becoming an astronaut ... probably in part because of my fascination with aviation combined with my love of comic books.
    I didn't pursue that course seriously for long, though. I think that I just let laziness get the best of me. I'll say more about where I ended up later.

I had a definite aptitude for flying, physically and intellectually, but I didn't maximize it or develop it as I probably should have.
    <<<<<It's my biggest regret in life.>>>>>
    At the very least, I should have gone on to be a professional pilot in some regard, whether as a CFI, a corporate pilot, an airline pilot, a seaplane charter pilot, a bush pilot--something!

I was a little bit daunted by the studying aspect. I've always been a good student, in as much as I learn easily, and I retain well. But I believe now that I had an undiagnosed problem with attention deficit that made it hard to focus and retain info
    that I read. So I kind of shunned the studying of the books that had to be done to become a pilot. In particular, there is one thing that stands out as something that discouraged me from becoming a professional pilot. It was a gross misapprehension on my
    part. I was handed the FAR/AIM book--AND I THOUGHT THAT I HAD TO READ AND KNOW THAT ENTIRE THING.

If I had made clear that this was my concern, I'm sure that SOMEONE--my dad or otherwise--would have laughed and reassured me that no, you don't have to read the entire FAR book! And then I would have possibly (not definitely, but possibly) felt less
    pressure and anxiety about the studying, and been able to get it done.

When I was a senior in high school, my dad paid for me to take flying lessons with the commander of my CAP squadron, a great pilot and instructor named Jacques Heinrich. We used a CAP 172, N202NY. I logged a modest number of hours with him and learned a
    lot, but always felt that my knowledge as a developing pilot was an incomplete patchwork. I'm sure that had I kept at it, I would have filled in the gaps. I think that at the time, Jacques was really just developing my physical control of the airplane,
    for the time being.

I didn't complete a rating with Jacques. For some reason, we just sort of tapered off.

In the summer of my sophomore year at college, Dad resumed paying for me to take more flying lessons. It's so long ago, I don't recall how or why it happened. I flew with Jacques once again, and with my hours in the low 30s, he soloed me one day at
    Brookhaven Airport on Long Island.

It was funny. We had been doing pattern work, with Jacques calling out reminders to me at some points, stuff like when to apply flaps, when to throttle back, etc. We were taxiing back for another takeoff when Jacques looked at me and asked, "Do you think
    you can do it without me this time?"

I answered back without any hesitation that yes, I felt that I could--but here's the thing: I thought he was asking whether I believed I could do it with him SHUTTING UP and not giving me tips! I didn't know he meant "without him in the plane" until he
    said to pull up along the grass and let him out!

When I realized what he meant, I played it REAL COOOOOL like I had never been under any confusion. I didn't want him to yank away the offer to let me SOLO-FLY AN AIRPLANE! So I dropped him off, centered myself, found my confidence, and went and did that
    takeoff and landing! It went perfectly! I think that he had me do two or three more before signaled for me to pick him back up.

That was in 1991. I'll have to check my logbook to see whether I did any further flying with Jacques after that day. I cannot remember whether I did, but I know that I did either drop off or taper off and didn't do any flying again until 2002. Using
    money that I inherited when my mother died in 2001, I fulfilled my ambition of getting my private pilot's license. I passed the written exam with only one answer wrong, after studying with the King DVD course and making several 100% scores on practice
    tests with the Gleim book. I passed my flight exam on September 21, 2002 and became a licensed private pilot.

I have never earned a sufficient income to be able to sustain recreational hobby flying, unfortunately. (Refer to my regret that I didn't pursue a career as a pilot.) I was always using that inheritance money to fly, and using my modest income to live.
    My income didn't provide for both. The money I was using to finance my flight instruction and hobby flying dried up around 2007, and so that was the last time I was current. As I said, it's a huge regret.

I've stayed somewhat active in skydiving, though. I had done my first skydives in 1991 (around the time when I soloed) but didn't go on to get licensed (I was a college student and it was quite expensive.) I got licensed to skydive in 2003, not long
    after I got my pilot's license. My most recent skydives were some time this past summer (2017).

I DO hope to one day be able to resume flying. I don't have a plan for making it happen just yet, but one never knows what the future will bring. Of course, a huge amount of that has to do with the deliberate steps you take to make something happen. I
    just don't have any ideas yet.

Again, if this thread has helped you in any way to achieve catharsis or peace, that's excellent and it exceeds my hopes. May all who read this be well and healthy and happy. Please stay in touch.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From severd01@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 7 14:32:21 2017
    I found this thread after leafing through some childhood material my mother gave me including my brochure and application for Sky Life which eventually brought me to this thread.

I attended the camp in the summers of 1989/90 as a 15/16 year old. If I remember correctly, in'90 I attended the camp for 2 weeks with about another 7 or 8 other campers from all over the US. 2 campers I ended up being buddies with during my stay, one
    from MI and one from NJ.

Jay Treat and Bill Quegan were the flight instructors at the time and we had a camp counselor that bunked with us and of course Lee in the main house.

I have mixed emotions about the camp. I have fond memories of morning runs to the "tower" before breakfast, watching the weather to see if you were going to get to fly that day, the grass strip runway, snack bar, building model airplanes, etc.

Thank goodness I did not receive the same level of abuse some likely received there, however, I was not immune either.

2 instances come to mind during my stay.

- One of the campers during pre-flight engine check shut the ignition off in error causing the plane to back fire. I was in the tower with the camper from MI and we laughed are heads off. I vaguely remember the camper getting punished for the mistake and
    wanting to go home after being punished. Me and my buddy got yelled at by Lee for laughing on the tower radio.

- The second instance was on the road trip to Dayton to visit Wright Patterson AFB. We stopped at a KOA in the RV, I think only 3 -4 boys made the trip along with Lee and Jay. I don't recall if I had requested a shower or if it was my "turn" for a shower,
    however, I do vividly remember Lee telling me due to limited water supply he would monitor me taking a shower. Watching me take my clothes off, getting wet in the shower, shower off, lather with soap and rinse. All under his watch to ensure I didn't
    waste any water.

What's most interesting is I did not recognize this as abnormal due to my trust and respect for authority figures. Only until much later in life, maybe even as a parent did I reflect on the incident as totally inappropriate. I feel a bit guilty that if I
    had spoken up at the time as my father is a pediatrician and has dealt with sex abuse, perhaps others would not have received the same or worse treatment in the future.

As with other posters, I found this email thread cathartic to share. I am overly protective with my kids around male authority figures and will likely not allow them to spend nights away at camp. (right/wrong)

To those other young men I shared a couple summers, I hope you did not experience any of Lee's evil. And if you did, I hope that were able to overcome.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From stephensabato@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 22 18:33:25 2018
    Hi, I was trying to respond to Chris. I was there as a flight instructor for a very brief period during the summer of ‘91. I have looked in the past for current information on what ever happened to the camp. This is the first time I came across
    this thread. It’s amazing to see how long it has been going and the thread is still alive. I actually had no idea the camp when back as far as it did. Just reaching out.

Steve

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Emory@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 23 12:41:42 2018
    I can barely believe I've stumbled on this thread of 16 years! I only googled "Sky-Life Flying Camp" because I had a dream last night in which I was flying with Lee....

I started flying with Sky-Life and HPN when I was 13, and soloed on my 16th birthday in 1973. I also flew at the Camp, and worked a couple summers teaching photography (there was that small darkroom there). I eventually went on to get my CFII, had some
    wonderful years of working as a physician while teaching flying a couple evenings/ week. I sadly gave up flying perhaps 10+ years ago, after recurrent kidney stones, as well as just feeling I couldn't do it enough to feel safe.... I do feel that aviation
    "safety" was a strong part of the culture overall for Sky- Life. I saw that amazing ad from Flying Magazine (I'm the kid in the front right!).

This thread is so sad.... I had some suspicions over the years that Lee might be abusing kids, but this is the first time I've seen it confirmed. Obviously, I was lucky enough not to have suffered from what he did, but am so sorry to hear about those who
    did. I remember very well going through that initiation, naked, blindfolded, scared.... but then we just got dressed, without anything further happening. I then went through that welcoming ritual at night... I still remember it so well, as eventually, I
    was asked to participate in the speech ("You are about to become a part of aviation history......."). In retrospect, I'm sorry I was so naive as to not realize more was going on, but as others have said, it was a different time.

I have many fond memories of flying on that grass strip, getting drunk for the first time (cold duck), Lee's piano playing, and some great guys. I also knew Bud (in fact, he was the physics teacher at my high school). I don't know what became of Bud...
    but some years ago, I did spend some time with Jay Treat (I was living in Ohio)- in fact, he let me fly a commercial simulator where he was working at Flight Safety. I went with Jay to see Lee on his death bed (intubated, not able to communicate).

Enough for now.... wow.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From joel.watterworth@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Jeffrey on Fri Nov 30 12:44:05 2018
    On Tuesday, September 25, 2001 at 4:05:48 PM UTC-4, Jeffrey wrote:
    I am an alumnus of Sky Life Flying Camp in Northville, New York. I attended in the summer of 1986, and had a really good time there. I was about a
    month shy of my 16th birthday, so although my instructor, Jay Treat III,
    told me he thought I was ready, I could not solo after my 10 hours of dual time there.

At the time, I was instructed in N2733U. I was informed that 33U was the Cessna 172 that had soloed the most student pilots in the world, and arrangements were being made to have it placed on display in the National
    Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C. It was quite an old plane, I'm
    sure at least a decade older than I am, and even had manual flaps!
    (something I've never seen in another plane)

In 1996, I heard a nasty rumor about the demise of the camp, and I have not been able to find out if it is extant or defunct. I also know nothing of
    the whereabouts or condition of N2733U.

I would appreciate any information anyone can provide about Lee Barnes, Jay Treat III, Sky Life Flying Camp, or N2733U. Email clearbluepeace@peoplepc.com
    Thank you!

---Jeffrey

"Only in silence the word,
    only in dark the light,
    only in dying life:
    bright the hawk's flight
    on the empty sky."

Good to hear from you Dan!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dana.pollock@gmail.com@21:1/5 to joel.wat...@gmail.com on Thu Dec 6 14:31:16 2018
    Hi everybody!

My grandmother learned to fly around age 16, which would have been 1940, at a school near her home in Hastings-on-Hudson, NY. She was flying seaplanes on the Hudson. My mother knows that one of her instructors was called Lee Barnes. Do you think it would
    be the same guy, or perhaps his father?

The purpose of me writing this is that she turns 90 years old next February, and I want to track down a copy of her aviation license to give to her, which she has misplaced and speaks fondly of finding. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I
    would be sooo appreciative.

Thank you!

On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 3:44:06 PM UTC-5, joel.wat...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Tuesday, September 25, 2001 at 4:05:48 PM UTC-4, Jeffrey wrote:
    I am an alumnus of Sky Life Flying Camp in Northville, New York. I attended
    in the summer of 1986, and had a really good time there. I was about a month shy of my 16th birthday, so although my instructor, Jay Treat III, told me he thought I was ready, I could not solo after my 10 hours of dual time there.

At the time, I was instructed in N2733U. I was informed that 33U was the Cessna 172 that had soloed the most student pilots in the world, and arrangements were being made to have it placed on display in the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C. It was quite an old plane, I'm sure at least a decade older than I am, and even had manual flaps! (something I've never seen in another plane)

In 1996, I heard a nasty rumor about the demise of the camp, and I have not been able to find out if it is extant or defunct. I also know nothing of the whereabouts or condition of N2733U.

I would appreciate any information anyone can provide about Lee Barnes, Jay Treat III, Sky Life Flying Camp, or N2733U. Email clearbluepeace@peoplepc.com
    Thank you!

---Jeffrey

"Only in silence the word,
    only in dark the light,
    only in dying life:
    bright the hawk's flight
    on the empty sky."

Good to hear from you Dan!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bullbro1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 11 18:01:08 2018
    I was there. I remember exactly how that happened. I was in the bunk house the night they came and got you and took you over to Jay and Bills cabin. Then when you came back you had the wealts on you butt. I have that night forever burned i to my memory.
    Cant imagine how it was for you.
    Glad hes dead and Jay and Bill probably are as traumatized as the rest of the victims of Lees reign of terror

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dweschler@cfl.rr.com@21:1/5 to bull...@gmail.com on Fri Jan 18 14:22:46 2019
    On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 9:01:09 PM UTC-5, bull...@gmail.com wrote:
    I was there. I remember exactly how that happened. I was in the bunk house the night they came and got you and took you over to Jay and Bills cabin. Then when you came back you had the wealts on you butt. I have that night forever burned i to my memory.
    Cant imagine how it was for you.
    Glad hes dead and Jay and Bill probably are as traumatized as the rest of the victims of Lees reign of terror

Just reading this for the first time. I still have and use my original flight log with "Sky-Life Flying Club" embossed in gold on the outside. I attended camps in 69 and 70. Got paddled once for doing something stupid but did not see or was aware of the
    other situation described in this thread.
    We all remember where we were when man landed on the moon. Well, I was at the camp. I was a space nut as a teen so I brought a small 10 inch TV up with me and I still remember we plugged it into an outlet outside the latrine and watched a small black and
    white picture of the July 1969 event.
    Don

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From senior.rocky@gmail.com@21:1/5 to dwes...@cfl.rr.com on Sun Mar 3 10:56:33 2019
    On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 2:22:47 PM UTC-8, dwes...@cfl.rr.com wrote:
    I was there. I remember exactly how that happened. I was in the bunk house the night they came and got you and took you over to Jay and Bills cabin. Then when you came back you had the wealts on you butt. I have that night forever burned i to my
    memory. Cant imagine how it was for you.

Just reading this for the first time. I still have and use my original flight log with "Sky-Life Flying Club" embossed in gold on the outside. I attended camps in 69 and 70. Got paddled once for doing something stupid but did not see or was aware of
    the other situation described in this thread.
    We all remember where we were when man landed on the moon. Well, I was at the camp. I was a space nut as a teen so I brought a small 10 inch TV up with me and I still remember we plugged it into an outlet outside the latrine and watched a small black
    and white picture of the July 1969 event.
    Don

Wow it is amazing to read this thread. And very sad. My memory is that I was in the club during 1970 - 1972. I went through ground school, took a few lessons, and went to camp for a few weekends. I was actually a member through Aviation Explorer Post
    2004. I still value what I learned from being a member of the club and I didn't experience anything inappropriate. Always wondered what happened to Lee, Sky Life, and 05Sierra.

"Rocky"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ed@21:1/5 to senio...@gmail.com on Wed Apr 10 13:07:44 2019
    On Sunday, March 3, 2019 at 12:56:34 PM UTC-6, senio...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Friday, January 18, 2019 at 2:22:47 PM UTC-8, dwes...@cfl.rr.com wrote:
    I was there. I remember exactly how that happened. I was in the bunk house the night they came and got you and took you over to Jay and Bills cabin. Then when you came back you had the wealts on you butt. I have that night forever burned i to my
    memory. Cant imagine how it was for you.

Just reading this for the first time. I still have and use my original flight log with "Sky-Life Flying Club" embossed in gold on the outside. I attended camps in 69 and 70. Got paddled once for doing something stupid but did not see or was aware of
    the other situation described in this thread.
    We all remember where we were when man landed on the moon. Well, I was at the camp. I was a space nut as a teen so I brought a small 10 inch TV up with me and I still remember we plugged it into an outlet outside the latrine and watched a small black
    and white picture of the July 1969 event.
    Don

Wow it is amazing to read this thread. And very sad. My memory is that I was in the club during 1970 - 1972. I went through ground school, took a few lessons, and went to camp for a few weekends. I was actually a member through Aviation Explorer
    Post 2004. I still value what I learned from being a member of the club and I didn't experience anything inappropriate. Always wondered what happened to Lee, Sky Life, and 05Sierra.

"Rocky"

Wow, amazed to find this! Was inputting my fist logbook into electronic format and the first entry was 1/80 in a GAT 1 Trainer at Skylife. Thought Id Google Skylife to see what the end result was and this is where I landed.

I was one of many AHS kids who came up on weekends and spent time there for two summers. The summer of 82 ended abruptly for talking too much to my Instructor Marc Poline (anyone know where he's at?) in the chicken coop. Didn't realize we were being
    spied on. I was part of the club and was initiated. Went on camping trips.....you know the rest. It wasn't until years later that a coworker at Pan Am talked to me about reporting Lee. We went to the NYS police in the World Trade Center and were told the
    complaint was old with no evidence.
    Haven't told a soul for for nearly 30 years...….until recently when my wife and I took some random quiz that asked about being abused as a child and she asked what my answer was...….

I have had a great life as a pilot and mechanic and have traveled all over the globe in the front of some amazing aircraft......very lucky!!

It all started on the 2400ft stip in Northville, too bad the story starts with a monster and his henchmen that enabled him.

Any body else attend in 80-82?

Ed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From john@johnwlyons.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 11 19:55:12 2020
    Wow! I was searching for the whereabouts of N2733U and found this! I attended Sky Life in the summer of 1980. I solo'd in 33U on August 10, 1980. I had never been in that 172 prior and had never flown a 172 at all. Back then, you booked a plane and
    a pilot. Knowing I was set to solo and nervous as heck, I booked the pilot (Lee Barnes) and forgot to book the plane. He yelled at me and announced we were taking the 172. It was the only time I ever flew that plane. We landed and with no warning, he
    hopped out and said take it. I did my solo pattern flight fortunately with no problem and flew a few more times.

I was never 'initiated' (some term!!!!). I was invited over to the house one night and something happened so I never went (I don't remember what but I pissed Lee off in some manner). The guy who slept in the bunk above me went and and came back drunk
    and different...quieter. I never understood why and honestly never thought too much about it until reading this thread.

My heart mourns those that suffered from Lees abuse...and judging from this thread, there are plenty.

I am curious as to what ever happened to that old Cessna. BTW, it was a 1963. Black stripes if I remember correctly.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From reschmitt80@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 19 17:54:30 2020
    I recall N2733U as a 1963 also. I soloed her on February 15, 1974. About 5 years ago I did a search through the FAA website and found the (then) current owner of 33U. I was able to contact him via email. 33U was dismantled and sitting in a barn I
    believe in upstate NY somewhere. He had plans to restore her. He sent me some pictures of the dismantled plane. I don't know if it got restored (I hope so). If I can find the pictures and other details info, I'll send it along.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From rod pombo@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 7 04:15:07 2020
    El miércoles, 20 de mayo de 2020 a las 2:54:31 UTC+2, resch...@gmail.com escribió:
    I recall N2733U as a 1963 also. I soloed her on February 15, 1974. About 5 years ago I did a search through the FAA website and found the (then) current owner of 33U. I was able to contact him via email. 33U was dismantled and sitting in a barn I
    believe in upstate NY somewhere. He had plans to restore her. He sent me some pictures of the dismantled plane. I don't know if it got restored (I hope so). If I can find the pictures and other details info, I'll send it along.

I was at Edimburg on the summer of 81 and 82 for summer camp, from Spain. I was 15 at the time. I remember I soloed and was made member of the club that summer. Same routine as commented above (strip naked and waiting with others on the room) at the time
    I thought nothing of it (just that americans were kind of weird :-)
    I remember going to Ottawa with lee and some others in a big RV. I had a lot of fun and don't remember anything creepy about it. I too wonder what happened to the bar carved tables.
    Reading the posts I believe I was lucky that nothing awful happened.
    My sympathies for the victims. I am in shock!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Katz@21:1/5 to dbm...@gmail.com on Thu Jan 20 16:29:53 2022
    On Thursday, February 20, 2014 at 6:34:08 AM UTC-7, dbm...@gmail.com wrote:
    I am that 1969-70 early flight instructor (Dan McLaughlin) who was the cover for the Sky-Life literature. My private pilot picture was the model for the logo. I joined the club at 14 and left at 21 prior to the 1971 camp. I flew in the Navy and am
    retiring from a major airline this year after 35 years.
    Lee was a great flight instructor but a manipulative predator who, in hindsight, abused his position of trust and power as our mentor.
    During the early years, at least, a don't think any of his victims knew that others existed. He would flatter, plead, guilt-trip, threaten, lavish gifts upon those he targeted. His abuse went on way too long; but I, for one, was just glad to finally
    escape and start a new life free of his influence.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom Katz@21:1/5 to Tom Katz on Thu Jan 20 20:05:26 2022
    On Thursday, January 20, 2022 at 5:29:54 PM UTC-7, Tom Katz wrote:
    On Thursday, February 20, 2014 at 6:34:08 AM UTC-7, dbm...@gmail.com wrote:
    I am that 1969-70 early flight instructor (Dan McLaughlin) who was the cover for the Sky-Life literature. My private pilot picture was the model for the logo. I joined the club at 14 and left at 21 prior to the 1971 camp. I flew in the Navy and am
    retiring from a major airline this year after 35 years.
    Lee was a great flight instructor but a manipulative predator who, in hindsight, abused his position of trust and power as our mentor.
    During the early years, at least, a don't think any of his victims knew that others existed. He would flatter, plead, guilt-trip, threaten, lavish gifts upon those he targeted. His abuse went on way too long; but I, for one, was just glad to finally
    escape and start a new life free of his influence.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill Moller@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jan 21 09:17:45 2022
    Richard Ellis? Did you live in Eastchester in the 60's?
    This is Bill Moller. I think we went to elementary school together.
    Hope you are doing well!

- Bill

--
    This electronic mail message and any attached files contain information intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
    not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any viewing,
    copying, disclosing or distribution of the information contained herein may
    be subject to legal restriction or sanction. Please notify the sender, by return electronic mail or telephone, of any unintended recipients and delete/destroy the original message without making any copies or
    reproductions.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Payne@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 19 05:36:30 2022
    Does anyone know the airport identifier for the grass strip at the old Sky Life Flying camp? I think it's 1F2 but was wondering if anyone knew for sure. I'm trying to convert my logbook to an electronic one and looking back at my flights at the camp (Aug
    88' and 89') the instructor wrote Sky-Life in the airport identifier column. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, sorry to hear about all the horrible things that happened at camp. I got in trouble once and had to go to Lee's office but since I admitted what I did was wrong, he let me go with a warning from what I remember. However, the guy I was mischievous
    with also had to go see Lee. After his meeting with Lee, he was never the same fun guy I really connected with the first few days at camp. The last few days, after his meeting with Lee, he tried to fight me and others, and kept himself secluded. I really
    hope Lee abusing him wasn't the reason for his new attitude.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 26 15:34:35 2022
    Correction: my first summer at Sky Life was the summer of 1978, not 1979.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom@21:1/5 to All on Sat Nov 26 15:24:07 2022
    The other day I went through a box in my 80 year-old dad's garage and found a letter from Lee Barnes that was a reply to a letter I had written to him saying how I was excited to be attending Sky Life Flying Camp in the summer of 1979. Why I wrote a
    letter before showing up, I don't know. Probably just total youthful enthusiasm and excitement about getting to fly every day. Aside from being typed in all caps (always at least a yellow flag), Barnes' letter was cordial and didn't raise any suspicions.

I attended Sky Life that Summer and recall sleeping in a small cabin and taking freezing cold showers every morning. I recall Lee Barnes being a larger-than-life personality (at least to 15--17 year-old boys) and him teasing me about my "California
    accent". I became "the Californian" and was having a great time until one night in the last week when I was invited with another boy to visit Barnes at his house late at night. Two of the instructors were there too. After giving us some cheap-ass liquor
    I was taken to Lee's office and was blindfolded and told to strip naked and sit in a chair. Barnes fondled me and asked if it bothered me. I told him no, of course, but I remember thinking "just get through this - this can't be happening - I thought this
    was a good place..." I don't recall anything else of the ordeal. The next thing I remember I was walking back to the cabins with the other guy. We both were very traumatized and didn't really speak to each other. I finished out that camp without soloing (
    still 15) and left back for California, no longer an innocent kid who just wanted to fly.

Amazingly, I signed up to return the next summer. My grandfather, himself a long-time private pilot who had started my love of flying when I first flew with him at the age of 6, agreed to pay the hefty bill again. Of course I hadn't told him what had
    happened there the first time and I remember telling myself that I was going back to solo and pass my written exam and to make sure nothing weird happened. Sure enough on the first night I was there, Barnes told me to come to the house. He told me to
    take off the baseball hat that I had plastered to my head and pulled low over my eyes and I refused. He then told me to stip naked and I refused. He then started yelling at me, berating me, telling me I was through as a pilot and then yelled "Get the
    hell out of here!" I went back to my cabin, told no one and proceeded to finish the two weeks and get my solo. Still have the "getting thrown in the pool" picture somewhere. So in a small way I felt like I had redeemed myself from the monster and went
    home, still telling no one. Never told a sole until about 5 years later when I told my college girlfriend, herself a victim of sexual abuse.

Wish I could say that the flying story had a happy ending after my successful defiance of the sexual predator. I went to Sky Life as a 15 year-old wild about airplanes and flying, sure that I was going to be an Air Force pilot, hopefully an astronaut,
    and have a long career in aviation. After Sky-Life I never felt comfortable around flying anymore, especially any "macho military pilots" like Barnes. Aviation slowly faded from my life. I made one lame attempt after college to walk into a USAF
    recruiting office and ask for a pilot slot but the recruiters just laughed and offered me a seat in Vandenburg as a shuttle launch operations tech (yes, they were planning on shuttle launches from VAFB prior to Challenger). Occasionally over the years I'
    ve started again, flown for a while and then quit for unknown reasons (although money was always an issue). The spark is just not there.

Not sorry to read that Lee Barnes died on a ventilator. I hope he was alone with his conscious, thinking about how many lives and careers he ruined - and for what? What a monster. What a waste.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tom@21:1/5 to All on Mon Nov 28 07:49:51 2022
    I attended Sky Life in the summer of 1978 at the age of 15. On one of the last nights of the camp, which had to that point been one of the greatest summers of my life, another camper and I were invited to the main house at night. Barnes and two
    instructors were there. They gave us some shitty alcohol and then Barnes molested me by having me strip naked, blindfolding me, and fondling me, asking if it made me uncomfortable that I was getting hard. I told him what he wanted to hear, just hoping to
    end the nightmare as soon as possible. The other camper went with the two instructors, whose names I don't recall. I don't have any other memory of that night except walking silently back to the cabins with the other guy, not speaking to each other at
    all, but both of us clearly totally traumatized.

I went to Sky Life an enthusiastic young boy, sure that I would be an Air Force pilot one day, and hopefully an astronaut. I left a sexually abused teenager who eventually got their pilot's license, but never realized the childhood dream of flying as a
    career. I stayed very far away from military people after my encounter with "navy pilot Lee G Barnes". Since getting my license in 1980, I've been flying off and on, but I always quit for years on end, for unknown reasons. Only have about 350 hours
    logged in the 45 years since Sky Life.

I'm glad to hear that Barnes was arrested but angry to hear that he was never publicly convicted as the sex offending pedophile that he was. I'd like to believe that the outcome would be different these days and he'd have been put in prison for a couple
    of decades. Dying alone on a ventilator seems like a fitting fate for that kind of monster.

To Eric Payne: of course Barnes molested your friend and of course that's why he became an angry, secluded guy. That's what happened to me on the last couple of days of camp - I became severely angry and depressed and couldn't wait to get out of that
    hellish nightmare. It took years of therapy as an adult to regain my sense of self after what Barnes did to me.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05