• Darlington - watching some drivers do PIT Maneuvers on themselves

From a425couple@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 15 08:53:20 2023
    Darlington - watching some drivers do PIT Maneuvers on themselves.
    I think a couple did that to mess up restarts.
    They looked funny getting pushed sideways down the track for most of a mile.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From max headroom@21:1/5 to All on Mon May 15 19:56:50 2023
    In news:Qzs8M.3113355$vBI8.2603833@fx15.iad, a425couple <a425couple@hotmail.com>
    typed:

Think they'll finish the All Star race next Sunday?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris K-Man (Zickcermacity)@21:1/5 to All on Tue May 23 05:19:55 2023
    On Monday, May 15, 2023 at 11:54:31 AM UTC-4, a425couple wrote:
    ______

That's what the new wider, lower profile tires sanctioned by Nascar are causing.

Two years ago, during development of the currently running Next Gen Cup car, the league,
    in order to keep race cars in line with current consumer car design trends, authorized a
    change in the wheel and tire combination from the long-standing 70-series tires on
    15 inch rims, to lower profile(40-50 series) tires on giant 18inch rims.

I disapproved of that decision years ago, during Next Gen development, and my disapproval stands today. It was done, again, to match the appearance of the wheels and tires on street vehicles, ergo, for LOOKS, and less for performance. I am a
    fam of narrower tires on smaller rims, because they tend to return from turns faster,
    (Google "self-aligning torque"), and to track straighter with less steering wheel input
    at high speeds on a straight road.

As for the single/center lug design, that could have easily been incorporated into the
    existing 15 inch rims.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05